FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Losing a loved pet

Losing a loved pet

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

So the family dog sadly had to be sent to sleep yesterday.

My question is how long till you decided to get another pet?

Part of me thinks sooner would help with the loss.. not to be replaced but something else to focus on and love to help with the grief... and another part of me thinks never again as it's a hard thing to go through when they get ill and the inevitable happens.

Did you get another dog? Or a cat instead? Or leave it completely?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It's been a yr since both of my cats were killed on the road and I I haven't got new pets yet. But a dog is a different pet altogether. A massive chunk of ur routine. If it was me I'd miss that so I'd look to replace that asap.

Sorry for ur loss

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

"So the family dog sadly had to be sent to sleep yesterday.

Part of me thinks sooner would help with the loss.. not to be replaced but something else to focus on and love to help with the grief... and another part of me thinks never again as it's a hard thing to go through when they get ill and the inevitable happens.

Did you get another dog? Or a cat instead? Or leave it completely? "

Take a couple of months without replacing your pet and then see how you feel, you'll either be desperate for another or you'll be enjoying not having the ties of walks,feeding,vets etc

Thank you.. x

Sorry for the loss Tilly.

Get back on that dog wagon. That's what I've always done. You're not replacing the old lady in spirit. He's a new chapter.

And having a dog is a joy never to be denied.

Old lad, even.

Friends have gone and looked for another very soon after . Sorry to hear this I would be devastated if I lost my doggy

almost 3 years later i feel ready to get another dog but i still miss my other one that died, she was a really good dog.

i think people are all different really and you just have to go with how you feel yourself.

"So the family dog sadly had to be sent to sleep yesterday.

Did you get another dog? Or a cat instead? Or leave it completely? "

Its awful to lose a much loved pet.....Sorry to hear this and go with your heart.

Awwwww bless you, big hugs xx

My friend lost her beloved dog this year rafter losing the other last summer. She has decided to have a break for a short while as she says it doesn't feel it's the right time at the moment to have another one. She thinks she would be making unfair comparisons for starters.

My childhood pet, a male cat called Poppy - don't ask - died on the 8th of December 2005, he would have turned 16 the following March.

Then, a couple of months later, one of my cousin's friend's cat was having kittens and my parents decided to get two, who were born exactly two weeks after Poppy's birthday. One of the kittens died after being run over just after they turned one, but my parents still have the other sister, Lily, who just turned 10 this year.

Don't get me wrong, Poppy & Lily's sister are still in our thoughts - my parents have a photo frame full of photos of Poppy on display - but we didn't get the kittens to replace him, the girls were still loved in their own way, and my Lily is as much of a part of the family as Poppy was.

And actually, my username was taken from Lily's sister's nickname.

Thanks folks. She was a hell of a character but not without her health and behaviour problems but was still loved to the moon and back. Had her as an 8 week old puppy and almost made it to 10. She loved everyone she knew and hated everyone else.

By *uzy444Woman  over a year ago

in the suffolk countryside

sorry for your loss..maybe the legacy could live on, with the positive thought that they were loved and moved on, in order for you to allow yourself to love another one..so many dogs crave a loving home..maybe your dog would like you to embrace another as you did them? xx

By *ilmiss75Woman  over a year ago

Thornton

I had to put my cat to sleep last August after being attacked by next doors dog. Her injuries were far to great. I've never replaced her.

I've also got a 7 year old Jack Russell who I absolutely adore. I don't think I will ever be able to replace him when the time comes.

Thinking of you x

So many heartwarming stories thank you.

Everyone has different stories and reasons for waiting or not.. and I guess its like someone said to go with your heart. There was a 6 year gap between this dog and the one before her.

By *heBakeOLiteGirlWoman  over a year ago

62 West Wallaby Street (not real address)

Lost my awesome British bulldog aged just 3 1/2 in Jan 2011. He had cancer so had to be put to sleep. I didn't like how quiet it was at home, no dog to walk or get up to feed so me and my then partner went and got another dog from the RSPCA about 6 weeks later. Thinking back I wish I had waited longer but I guess everyone is different. My parents only waited 2 weeks after their last dog was put down before rescuing another collie

By *layfullsamMan  over a year ago

Solihull

"So many heartwarming stories thank you.

Everyone has different stories and reasons for waiting or not.. and I guess its like someone said to go with your heart. There was a 6 year gap between this dog and the one before her.

"

Ps don't go to a dogs home "just to look" it's asking for trouble !!

By *ire_bladeMan  over a year ago

Manchester

Been through this sad time so many times so really do feel your pain. I love Staffs and have had them since a boy and currently have 2. The mad thing is all but 1 have found me. They have all been in need of a decent home and all lead awful lives before they come to me. 1 of the 1s I have now was so scerd of being hit he wet himself every time I put a hand out to stroke him. Some people should be shot for how they treat animals. Hes fine now and a real caricature. My point is give it a bit of time and see what happens and maybe think about rescuing a dog that desperately needs the love you obviously have.

Sorry to hear this op, so sad when pets leave us

I am so sorry to hear of your loss xx

Thank you all for your advice and kind words.. and _layfullsam yes I think you're right about not going to have a look.. guaranteed to come home with one!

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"Thank you all for your advice and kind words.. and _layfullsam yes I think you're right about not going to have a look.. guaranteed to come home with one! "

Best way in my view, nothing eases the pain of the loss of an animal like another animal to care for. get down that Blue Cross!!

By *ella-donnaWoman  over a year ago

Preston

Our 10 year old dog died suddenly and it was a real shock...we swore we'd never get another as he was irreplaceable. But the house seemed so empty that within a month we started looking for a puppy - and ended up with 2!

» Add a new message to this topic