FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Mary Seacole Statue

Mary Seacole Statue

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *icketysplits OP   Woman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

The statute of Mary Seacole has been unveiled today.

It's the first statue of a named black woman in this country.

There has been a bit of controversy about this with a group of Florence Nightingale supporters claiming it's an affront to her memory. Plus, of course, Gove tried to remove teaching about Seacole from schools.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/florence-vs-mary-the-big-nurse-off-a7100676.html

What do you think?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"The statute of Mary Seacole has been unveiled today.

There has been a bit of controversy about this with a group of Florence Nightingale supporters claiming it's an affront to her memory. Plus, of course, Gove tried to remove teaching about Seacole from schools.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/florence-vs-mary-the-big-nurse-off-a7100676.html

What do you think?"

good news.. About time she was recognised! I was thinking of trying to get the mint to put her on notes! She did so much against impossibly high odds.. If true about gove them he's the slimy shit i thought he was

What do you think? good news.. About time she was recognised! I was thinking of trying to get the mint to put her on notes! She did so much against impossibly high odds.. If true about gove them he's the slimy shit i thought he was"

Very true about Gove. It's well documented.

What do you think? good news.. About time she was recognised! I was thinking of trying to get the mint to put her on notes! She did so much against impossibly high odds.. If true about gove them he's the slimy shit i thought he was

Very true about Gove. It's well documented.

"

and he's running for PM. he's a little shit

Just on basic phone here but remember a woman who got hate mail because she campaigned to get jane austin on the £10. Forgot her name now.

"Just on basic phone here but remember a woman who got hate mail because she campaigned to get jane austin on the £10. Forgot her name now."

Caroline Criado-Perez.

What do you think?"

About time, I was never taught about her, and by chance I watched a youtube video about her, seriously my mind was blown. A woman who broke both racial and gender barriers, a story about courage and good will.

I don't see how it is an affront to Florence Nightingale - if anything they support one another in our modern society.

What do you think?

About time, I was never taught about her, and by chance I watched a youtube video about her, seriously my mind was blown. A woman who broke both racial and gender barriers, a story about courage and good will.

I don't see how it is an affront to Florence Nightingale - if anything they support one another in our modern society. "

Quite!

It's not like anyone is claiming she invented the pie chart and Florence stole it from her.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Its overdue, Gove is an arse ..

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

didnt really know much about her until yesterday when the BBC (the ither obe!) did a piece about her - a very inspiring lady and the statue is well deserved and about time too!

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

"didnt really know much about her until yesterday when the BBC (the ither obe!) did a piece about her - a very inspiring lady and the statue is well deserved and about time too!"

'other one' damned spell checker!

What do you think?

I don't see how it is an affront to Florence Nightingale - if anything they support one another in our modern society.

Quite!

It's not like anyone is claiming she invented the pie chart and Florence stole it from her.

"

mmmm, I know, there is just no need to be arsey about it.

If anything the story of her is likely to inspire people in this country that things are possible even when you are going up against the status quo as it were.

"didnt really know much about her until yesterday when the BBC (the ither obe!) did a piece about her - a very inspiring lady and the statue is well deserved and about time too!"

I'm glad the statue is giving people a chance to learn about her. I was taught her story in school in the 70s, but I went to school in Hackney and had the advantage to learn about many inspiring people that most never got hear about.

By *olgateMan  over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

A friend of mine did a live broadcast of the unveiling this morning. Very moving

"didnt really know much about her until yesterday when the BBC (the ither obe!) did a piece about her - a very inspiring lady and the statue is well deserved and about time too!

I'm glad the statue is giving people a chance to learn about her. I was taught her story in school in the 70s, but I went to school in Hackney and had the advantage to learn about many inspiring people that most never got hear about.

"

Lucky, I remember being taught history and politics at school an it was basically WW2 and modern medicine, I knew it all already, didn't interest me one bit.

"didnt really know much about her until yesterday when the BBC (the ither obe!) did a piece about her - a very inspiring lady and the statue is well deserved and about time too!

Lucky, I remember being taught history and politics at school an it was basically WW2 and modern medicine, I knew it all already, didn't interest me one bit."

I was lucky. 1970s state comprehensive where I was taught Latin alongside the history of the slave trade.

There's a great film on the BFI Player showing 'my' Hackney in 1980 when I was fifteen and involved in three of the projects featured in the film.

Lucky, I remember being taught history and politics at school an it was basically WW2 and modern medicine, I knew it all already, didn't interest me one bit.

I was lucky. 1970s state comprehensive where I was taught Latin alongside the history of the slave trade.

There's a great film on the BFI Player showing 'my' Hackney in 1980 when I was fifteen and involved in three of the projects featured in the film.

"

That actually sounds a lot more interesting and less clearly cut. Kids these days need to be taught from a young age that life and politics is very rarely a case of good vs bad.

I think the only bit of my history education at school I really enjoyed was the history of the British Isles bit when I was 12 I think. Romans, Dark ages, feudalism, through to the raise of meritocracy, reformation, monarchy vs parliament, industrial and agricultural revolution, that was all interesting. After that it got boring :P

"

That actually sounds a lot more interesting and less clearly cut. Kids these days need to be taught from a young age that life and politics is very rarely a case of good vs bad.

I think the only bit of my history education at school I really enjoyed was the history of the British Isles bit when I was 12 I think. Romans, Dark ages, feudalism, through to the raise of meritocracy, reformation, monarchy vs parliament, industrial and agricultural revolution, that was all interesting. After that it got boring :P "

We covered all of that too. I'm useless at remembering dates but history is always fascinating, especially when it leads you on a journey to the rarely told bits. The big, written by the victor, history takes you so far but always leaves me wondering about how ordinary people were affected.

We're living in a fantastic age where these stories are getting more of an outing. Where popular television includes the living history programmes and where people are curious enough to go hunting down their own histories.

If the Mary Seacole statue inspires anyone to try and find out about their history or about the other stories of people of colour then that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

A friend runs the Black History Walks in London. He shows just how long black people have been here in London.

"

I think the only bit of my history education at school I really enjoyed was the history of the British Isles bit when I was 12 I think. Romans, Dark ages, feudalism, through to the raise of meritocracy, reformation, monarchy vs parliament, industrial and agricultural revolution, that was all interesting. After that it got boring :P

We covered all of that too. I'm useless at remembering dates but history is always fascinating, especially when it leads you on a journey to the rarely told bits. The big, written by the victor, history takes you so far but always leaves me wondering about how ordinary people were affected.

We're living in a fantastic age where these stories are getting more of an outing. Where popular television includes the living history programmes and where people are curious enough to go hunting down their own histories.

If the Mary Seacole statue inspires anyone to try and find out about their history or about the other stories of people of colour then that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

A friend runs the Black History Walks in London. He shows just how long black people have been here in London.

"

I wish that pre- and early broze age cultures had left more. It would have been interesting to have more of an insight into early humanity, especially when large human settlement were still a rarity.

I don't know her and didn't know of her work until sky news,

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

"I don't know her and didn't know of her work until sky news, "

LOL

By *iamondjoeMan  over a year ago

Glastonbury

I always associate Mary Seacole with the dreadful benefits office (Mary Seacole House) in Lambeth - 'Abandon hope all ye who enter here', I think it had over the door.

It's about time she was more widely recognised.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

What do you think?

Quite!

mmmm, I know, there is just no need to be arsey about it.

If anything the story of her is likely to inspire people in this country that things are possible even when you are going up against the status quo as it were."

I had heard of her but very few have.

Hopefully this will lead to more recognition of women and those from ethnic minorities who have made a positive mark on society.

Nita

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

"I don't know her and didn't know of her work until sky news,

LOL"

why is that funny.

What do you think?"

Utter bollocks, Mary Secole was the unsung hero of nursing and should be recognised for it. As far as I can remember from my daughters history lessons, she was around before Florence and did a hell of a lot of good work x

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

What do you think?"

Nightingale refused her help. She funded herself and went on to the battlefield to treat the wounded on the front line.

She deserves a statue more than Nightingale.

By *evaquitCouple  over a year ago

Catthorpe

Two fantastic women and statue worthy...we're happy.

By *evaquitCouple  over a year ago

Catthorpe

**Just to add, Birmingham library have so much info on her and have done for many years. Definitely worth a delve into their archived journals when visiting or wait for black history month which they do very, very well.

By *eliz NelsonMan  over a year ago

The Tantric Tea Shop

I think they were both very determined women, but I will always hold Mary Seacole in greater esteem

What do you think?

Nightingale refused her help. She funded herself and went on to the battlefield to treat the wounded on the front line.

She deserves a statue more than Nightingale."

Mother Seacole was very hands on, by all accounts.

There's a ward named after her in the hospital I work at.

"There's a ward named after her in the hospital I work at."

I wonder how many have been on that ward and are now going, That's who that ward is named after?

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

"There's a ward named after her in the hospital I work at."

And Nightingale had all wards named after her.

The old long single room wards with beds down each side were called nightingale wards.

What do you think?

She deserves a statue more than Nightingale."

I'm brewing up here but put like this I agree with bias.

I used to go to afrocarribean summer school and was taught of her works and other black stalwarts around the age of 12. It is true about that fool Gove who ironically was responsible for education for the country a few years ago.

It is convenient to erase non-whites out of UK and global history - certainly at school level but I personally think black history should be a part of the curriculum in our schools but where it is, it's minimal. I could go on but I forever rant about race issues which will probably never change. Some of you guys on here do make me proud though and I appreciate your non-ignorance.

» Add a new message to this topic