FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Tell me about the telly......

Tell me about the telly......

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *risky_Mare OP   Woman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

OK, so if I get a huge new Samsung curved screen telly and it's so smart it can work off my wi-fi wirelessly, and I have a good conventional aerial that will give me Freeview........then do any of the widgets like a kodi box (or something else I haven't heard of and don't understand) that give me access to eg netflix also allow me to record programmes to watch later??

At the moment I use a skybox for that, but I'm thinking I might as well dump sky, I don't watch their channels really.

I's all confused in my ignorance!!!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

The samsung t.v.s come with Smart hub, so they have Netflix, iPlayer, 4 catch up etc. So you don't need a Kodi box.

Not sure about the recording bit though.

...Up on the Downs

"The samsung t.v.s come with Smart hub, so they have Netflix, iPlayer, 4 catch up etc. So you don't need a Kodi box.

Not sure about the recording bit though. "

Was juts reading one kody vs netflix article - is netflix a subscription based system and kodi free?

And what about Amazon fire stick, wtf is that lol!

By *gnitemybodyWoman  over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

I dumped Sky should have done it year's ago I would have saved a lot,barely watched anything on there apart from the normal 5 channels. I just have the Amazon stick now,I have Netflix but it's my ex's account so I don't pay for it. Sorry that was no help for you . My tv is on it's last legs and haven't a clue what to get to replace it without it being expensive.

...Up on the Downs

"I dumped Sky should have done it year's ago I would have saved a lot,barely watched anything on there apart from the normal 5 channels. I just have the Amazon stick now,I have Netflix but it's my ex's account so I don't pay for it. Sorry that was no help for you . My tv is on it's last legs and haven't a clue what to get to replace it without it being expensive."

I'll have one going begging here soon lol!

Someone has told me all this once before and I apologize but I have forgotten! It seems I can get an Amazon firestick for £50 off ebay and get everything on that? Still don't know about the recording issue, though maybe if I can stream a few days after the event I won't need it....

Onestepoutofthedoor

"I dumped Sky should have done it year's ago I would have saved a lot,barely watched anything on there apart from the normal 5 channels. I just have the Amazon stick now,I have Netflix but it's my ex's account so I don't pay for it. Sorry that was no help for you . My tv is on it's last legs and haven't a clue what to get to replace it without it being expensive.

I'll have one going begging here soon lol!

Someone has told me all this once before and I apologize but I have forgotten! It seems I can get an Amazon firestick for £50 off ebay and get everything on that? Still don't know about the recording issue, though maybe if I can stream a few days after the event I won't need it...."

Yeah I don't know to be honest,I know I'm not using my firestick to it's potential. There's Amazon prime which you can subscribe to for the films and stuff,but I have Netflix so don't really need it. I don't know how to download onto the firestick or if I can with mine. It's all a blur to me

By *ire_bladeMan  over a year ago

Manchester

"OK, so if I get a huge new Samsung curved screen telly and it's so smart it can work off my wi-fi wirelessly, and I have a good conventional aerial that will give me Freeview........then do any of the widgets like a kodi box (or something else I haven't heard of and don't understand) that give me access to eg netflix also allow me to record programmes to watch later??

At the moment I use a skybox for that, but I'm thinking I might as well dump sky, I don't watch their channels really.

I's all confused in my ignorance!!! "

I think and I'm Sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong but I think you can put a memory stick in the usb port and record onto that. I've a big fuck off Samsung tv and been meaning to try it. If I get chance later I'll have a go and let you know

By *anderer8707Man  over a year ago

Telford

OK here goes (and apologies if I still confuse you )

Sky is a subscription service

Netflix is a subscription service, this may be included as part of the 'Smart' TV on your Samsung but would still require a subscription. This may also be available as an 'App' on a Firestick, for example, but still requires a subscription.

Kodi however, is not a 'device' or a 'box' but is a piece of software (like an 'App') that can be added to a legitimate box, such as a Firestick, PC, etc, which will allow the potential to illegitimately view otherwise prescritpion services free of charge.

There are many people out there who will bundle together a firestick and pre-install Kodi (both are legitimate) sand then add on the other services to run under Kodi which will enable illegitimate reception of otherwise subscription services.

You can save money by buying a Firestick and installing Kodi etc yourself, and there are many web sites that will take you through it step by step. Or you can go ahead and purchase a Firestick with the bundle already installed. The problem is that, over time you will most likely need to find a way of updating the software to keep up with the constant battle of service providers who are fighting against this.

The Firestick, nor Kodi will allow you to record.

There are a number of boxes that can reveive Freeview with a record function, best bet is to simply Google 'freeview with record' and make your choice.

...Up on the Downs

"OK here goes (and apologies if I still confuse you )

Netflix is a subscription service, this may be included as part of the 'Smart' TV on your Samsung but would still require a subscription. This may also be available as an 'App' on a Firestick, for example, but still requires a subscription.

Kodi however, is not a 'device' or a 'box' but is a piece of software (like an 'App') that can be added to a legitimate box, such as a Firestick, PC, etc, which will allow the potential to illegitimately view otherwise prescritpion services free of charge.

There are many people out there who will bundle together a firestick and pre-install Kodi (both are legitimate) sand then add on the other services to run under Kodi which will enable illegitimate reception of otherwise subscription services.

You can save money by buying a Firestick and installing Kodi etc yourself, and there are many web sites that will take you through it step by step. Or you can go ahead and purchase a Firestick with the bundle already installed. The problem is that, over time you will most likely need to find a way of updating the software to keep up with the constant battle of service providers who are fighting against this.

There are a number of boxes that can reveive Freeview with a record function, best bet is to simply Google 'freeview with record' and make your choice."

Aha - I'll do that! I thinke Firestick with Kodi seems to be the best way (don't need a subscription to anything, don't watch that much TV!)

What does Amazon Prime give me that the Firestick alone does not - anyone know?? might look at Amazon Prime anyway - free delivery and music as well.

So what do most people do if they are not in for something they want to watch - just stream it later? Is that available on all channels??

By *eesideMan  over a year ago

margate sumwear by the sea

Most tv's to day have usb ports at the back so you can plug in a usb memory stick to record programs.

Hop this helps

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

you can always go to tv addons and download kodi onto any device for free .... it also then prompts you to update when needed which these kodi firestick scammers don't do .... there's loads of people ending up with a useless £50 box because of this

By *inaryGuyMan  over a year ago

Near the River

"OK here goes (and apologies if I still confuse you )

You can save money by buying a Firestick and installing Kodi etc yourself, and there are many web sites that will X's take you through it step by step. Or you can go ahead and purchase a Firestick with the bundle already installed. The problem is that, over time you will most likely need to find a way of updating the software to keep up with the constant battle of service providers who are fighting against this.

There are a number of boxes that can reveive Freeview with a record function, best bet is to simply Google 'freeview with record' and make your choice.

Aha - I'll do that! I thinke Firestick with Kodi seems to be the best way (don't need a subscription to anything, don't watch that much TV!)

What does Amazon Prime give me that the Firestick alone does not - anyone know?? might look at Amazon Prime anyway - free delivery and music as well.

So what do most people do if they are not in for something they want to watch - just stream it later? Is that available on all channels??"

I've just bought an android set top box with Kodi, it's basically a pc/smartphone linked to TV with an air mouse remote control . Mine can save programmes to a hard drive/stick

"OK, so if I get a huge new Samsung curved screen telly and it's so smart it can work off my wi-fi wirelessly, and I have a good conventional aerial that will give me Freeview........then do any of the widgets like a kodi box (or something else I haven't heard of and don't understand) that give me access to eg netflix also allow me to record programmes to watch later??

I's all confused in my ignorance!!!

I think and I'm Sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong but I think you can put a memory stick in the usb port and record onto that. I've a big fuck off Samsung tv and been meaning to try it. If I get chance later I'll have a go and let you know "

It'll record tv signals (and satellite channels if compatible). It won't record from "external" inputs

...Up on the Downs

Strange isn't it, you think all new TV's would all include a memory for recording!! That's something we do a lot when there are two or even 3 things on at once, which sometimes happens on a sunday night or some other prime time.

"Strange isn't it, you think all new TV's would all include a memory for recording!! That's something we do a lot when there are two or even 3 things on at once, which sometimes happens on a sunday night or some other prime time."

With regards to recording. They generally don't have two tuners. So you usually have to record and watch what you're recording

"Strange isn't it, you think all new TV's would all include a memory for recording!! That's something we do a lot when there are two or even 3 things on at once, which sometimes happens on a sunday night or some other prime time."

With a kodi box you do not need to record as everything is always on tap for free

Onestepoutofthedoor

You pay for Amazon prime,I had the free one month trial and forgot to cancel it and they took £70 out of my account. Got it back though.

...Up on the Downs

"You pay for Amazon prime,I had the free one month trial and forgot to cancel it and they took £70 out of my account. Got it back though."

Yes, it's for a whole year including free delivery on everything and music, so could be worth looking into.

...Up on the Downs

"Strange isn't it, you think all new TV's would all include a memory for recording!! That's something we do a lot when there are two or even 3 things on at once, which sometimes happens on a sunday night or some other prime time.

With a kodi box you do not need to record as everything is always on tap for free "

Ah OK, this is what I was wondering! Is that all channels and indefinitely??

...Up on the Downs

Got said clever telly - giant LG OLED one

Can anyone tell me how to change the BBC news area I receive on freeview? I'm getting East instead of SE, and the tv definitely has my address and postcode plumbed in - I can't see where else I can change it, any idea?

» Add a new message to this topic