FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Ebay Query

Ebay Query

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Can someone advise? This is longwinded, i apologise in advance.

I purchased on Ebay (from a shop i have used before, with no problems) two rings, not majorly expensive, but that's not the point.

Yesterday i checked to see where they were. Checked tracking details. They were sent first class post, signed for, and it says the item was delivered Saturday and i checked the signed for signature and it wasn't signed by me (obviously!) or my mum. It wasn't even an attempt to do my surname. I was in at the time it was allegedly delivered.

I spoke to my regular postie this morning to see if he was on the round that day. He was, he doesn't recall the item and said it would have gone in our safe place or the delivery office. He would check.

He calls back and said he had checked his tracking (from the machine they carry to sign parcels?) and he was at another part of town the time it was delivered.

He thinks the item was accidentally mixed up with other parcels and delivered to a different house somewhere on his route, or the parcel was labelled wrongly at the delivery office which he said can sometimes happen?

He would speak to the delivery office and get back to me. I have tried the delivery office myself, the number just rings out.

Meanwhile i had contacted the Ebay Seller and told them what happened. They are of the opinion, i feel, that i'm lying or the postman is lying. They said they will see what the Post Office come up with.

I'm a bit miffed because i'm out of pocket and without rings. I'm also miffed at Seller's attitude which was that getting Ebay involved will seriously affect their sales, so they want to resolve matters with Post office before resolving with me.

In the meantime their package, if missdelivered, will probably be returned to them if they had a return sticky on the package (which i think they did have, from recollection of the last item i had from them).

Where do i stand? Is it up to the seller to resolve matters or is it just tough and i have to suck it up and put it down to experience.

I paid for items through a debit card and not a credit card.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *unandbuckCouple  over a year ago

Sheffield

As part of my business, I sell online (our own website, not ebay).

The reason the seller is unresponsive is the PO are a pain in the backside with 'lost' items. The seller will need to wait 3 weeks (from memory) then fill in a claim form and wait for follow up. This takes a ridiculous amount of time and will be far more than they were probably going to make from the sale.

Add to that it wasn't his fault, assuming he addressed it correctly.

You are on the receiving end, so it might not help much. Also, remember there are deceptive customers...

By *orum TrollWoman  over a year ago

•+• Access Denied •+•

doesn't matter what they say, although with it being signed for your case doesn't look good and you might not win this but what you do now is report that you have not received the item.

this is if they aren't lying, if they aren't then they won't get a strike against them as the tracking will prove they have posted your item. you only have a certain amount of time to put in a claim so i suggest you do that anyway.

their sales only get affected if people repeatedly report them, so if they've had issues with sales previously that's their problem and not yours.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Power is with you as a buyer, especially if you paid through PayPal using your card details.

Raise a concern, fuck their feedback. You didn't get an item delivered to you regardless of the circumstances. They'll have so many days to sort it and then they have to issue you a refund.

I used to buy stuff and if it wasn't right I'd do nothing about it but I've had loads of refunds the last few months.

Bought a Jeffree star highlighter and when if came it was tiny compared to the real ones with the proper holographic sticker on it. Told them it was fake and I want to return it and they just send a refund. Bought wallpaper that looked nice in the picture but when it came it was shit quality, 5 rolls! Said I didn't want it and wanted to return it and they issued a refund without returning it.

Even bought some paper bundle binders and they weren't delivered in the time they said, or 3 days after their date. They issued a refund as I needed them for a paper that needed to be in by a certain date.

Don't you stress about what's happened to the rings, raise a concern and fuck 'em. They should ensure your address is correct and sort any issues out themselves with the post.

Sheffield

"doesn't matter what they say, although with it being signed for your case doesn't look good and you might not win this but what you do now is report that you have not received the item.

this is if they aren't lying, if they aren't then they won't get a strike against them as the tracking will prove they have posted your item. you only have a certain amount of time to put in a claim so i suggest you do that anyway.

their sales only get affected if people repeatedly report them, so if they've had issues with sales previously that's their problem and not yours.

"

What did the seller do wrong to deserve negative feedback? They posted it and the Royal Mail screwed up...

I've had simerler with a parcel from eBay being taken in by my lovely neighbour who then took it on herself to keep my parcel. I complained to the p.o. n got nowhere. I didn't complain to eBay as it wasn't their fault that my neighbour is a thieving scumbsg.

I'm afraid you may just have to suck it up also.

PTU xxx

By *ANDA2Couple  over a year ago

Henley Arden

Hi

The poster/ seller has to claim through the Post Office. Once the claim has been proven then the company should refund you or send replacement goods.

So at the end you will not be out of pocket. Unfortunately this process can take a few weeks.

Personally I always contact the seller before contacting Ebay to give them the benefit of the doubt.

If you have used the company before and found them good then understand someone somewhere ( company/post office ??) made a mistake, it was an accident but not deliberate. We all make mistakes. Yes it's a pain to sort out but it will get sorted.

If the company refuse to give you a refund or replacement then go nuclear..

I sell and buy on eBay so I can understand you and the seller's point.

He has sent the parcel and done his duty on this so he should not be out off pocket either as it is obviously royal mail who is at fault here.

You can ask the seller to put a claim in to royal mail for compensation...which would have a limit of £50. Only the seller can do this so speak to him/her in a nice manner.

You can always open a case with eBay but I think that will go in the seller's favour as they only look at the tracking notes. But whatever you do,do not threaten them with bad feedback as eBay see your messages and it will go against you.

I hope you get this resolved

By *mmmMaybeCouple  over a year ago

West Wales

Ebay is all for the buyer not the seller, was it debit card through paypal or direct (I never use this when buying always paypal) anyway at the end of the day you didn't sign for it, it is also not up to the seller what route you take to sort it. The reason they dont want you to go via ebay is because they'll suspend their account so no more sales.

Tell them it's not been signed for by you, they have until Monday to decide which route they wish to take either refund or replacement. If they choose neither you'll go via ebay and report item as undelivered "TO YOU".

If the item wasn't a one off & is of fairly low value I can see them just sending another. Whether they get the originals back isn't your problem really, it's between the PO & them as they are the PO's customer not you, but you shouldn't be waiting around while they do it.

Ebay will probably ask you then give them an amount of time to sort it though.

•+• Access Denied •+•

"doesn't matter what they say, although with it being signed for your case doesn't look good and you might not win this but what you do now is report that you have not received the item.

What did the seller do wrong to deserve negative feedback? They posted it and the Royal Mail screwed up..."

they don't get negative feedback, they will get no feedback at all. but you get a certain amount of strikes if you don't provide the service paid for. and limits become applied to the account. not being funny they probably got about 50 accounts anyway.

if they have proof of tracking then ebay will close the case and the seller 'wins'. of not then they lied anyway and the buyer 'wins'.

Sheffield

Ultimately, it is the sellers responsibility to get the item to you. They then have to sort it out with Royal Mail. But if this all only happened yesterday, I'd give them chance before lynching them.....

Let's break this down into the simplest terms. You have not received an item you have paid for. End of.

Whatever and whereever the failure has occured, you have not receiced your item. The only caveat being that you should leave a reasonable amount of time (for it to be delivered - and ebay does have standards in this regard) before you can take it up with ebay.

I appreciate that the seller might be concerned about any impact on future sales but let's look at this from a customer service point of view - what steps have they taken to resolve tge matter. They may be an ebay shop but they are still subject to consumer protection legislation just as any other business is.

Thanks everyone! Made me feel better about it x

Sheffield

"

What did the seller do wrong to deserve negative feedback? They posted it and the Royal Mail screwed up...

they don't get negative feedback, they will get no feedback at all. but you get a certain amount of strikes if you don't provide the service paid for. and limits become applied to the account. not being funny they probably got about 50 accounts anyway.

if they have proof of tracking then ebay will close the case and the seller 'wins'. of not then they lied anyway and the buyer 'wins'. "

The OP said in her original post, the seller sent it First Class Signed For. When the tracking is done, it shows as shipped, delivered and signed for.

The Postie thinks it might have gone on a different round and somebody else has it....

Sheffield

"Let's break this down into the simplest terms. You have not received an item you have paid for. End of.

Whatever and whereever the failure has occured, you have not receiced your item. The only caveat being that you should leave a reasonable amount of time (for it to be delivered - and ebay does have standards in this regard) before you can take it up with ebay.

I appreciate that the seller might be concerned about any impact on future sales but let's look at this from a customer service point of view - what steps have they taken to resolve tge matter. They may be an ebay shop but they are still subject to consumer protection legislation just as any other business is."

Correct, but she only called them yesterday. From their perspective it was shipped, delivered and signed for.

They have to be allowed some chance to resolve things...

I haven't left the Seller any feedback yet myself. I just informed Ebay that i'd not received the item (on the feedback drop down menu) as i thought that if i told the Seller i'd not received it they could just say tough.

I think the Seller feels i jumped the gun and should have tried to resolve it with them first as they have got a bit arsey with me.

But i've never had an issue before so was a bit unsure what the correct protocol was.

•+• Access Denied •+•

"

if they have proof of tracking then ebay will close the case and the seller 'wins'. of not then they lied anyway and the buyer 'wins'.

The OP said in her original post, the seller sent it First Class Signed For. When the tracking is done, it shows as shipped, delivered and signed for.

The Postie thinks it might have gone on a different round and somebody else has it...."

it's down to the seller to sort this out, initially, as the buyer did not receive the goods they have paid for. that's one of the risks of being a seller on ebay. i buy and sell and have been left out of pocket myself but knew that could happen when i was selling goods.

if they labelled it to the wrong address then ebay will know. if they didn't send it ebay will know.

if the royal mail have fucked up then the buyer will have to deal with them next and ebay will close the case as the seller wins.

i don't see a problem personally.

"I haven't left the Seller any feedback yet myself. I just informed Ebay that i'd not received the item (on the feedback drop down menu) as i thought that if i told the Seller i'd not received it they could just say tough.

I think the Seller feels i jumped the gun and should have tried to resolve it with them first as they have got a bit arsey with me.

But i've never had an issue before so was a bit unsure what the correct protocol was.

"

It is always best to speak to the seller first.....it's what eBay recommend, then if you get no joy go to ebay

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

If it was signed for they will have the name of whoever it was. RM will either have to refund or go to the trouble of checking all the surnames (if legible), on the street and going back to the address for the parcel.

"I haven't left the Seller any feedback yet myself. I just informed Ebay that i'd not received the item (on the feedback drop down menu) as i thought that if i told the Seller i'd not received it they could just say tough.

It is always best to speak to the seller first.....it's what eBay recommend, then if you get no joy go to ebay "

will do

"

The Postie thinks it might have gone on a different round and somebody else has it....

it's down to the seller to sort this out, initially, as the buyer did not receive the goods they have paid for. that's one of the risks of being a seller on ebay. i buy and sell and have been left out of pocket myself but knew that could happen when i was selling goods.

if they labelled it to the wrong address then ebay will know. if they didn't send it ebay will know.

if the royal mail have fucked up then the buyer will have to deal with them next and ebay will close the case as the seller wins.

i don't see a problem personally. "

Sorry but I do as the seller has the signature that it was delivered and it always go in his favourite in these cases....that is why I have recommended tact rather then full on fighting with the seller.

He can be the only help in filling a claim forms out for compensation so you need to keep him onside

By *mmmMaybeCouple  over a year ago

West Wales

Also at the end of the day if they are a big seller not an individual sending many parcels per day you can bet they'll get a quicker more positive response from the carrier than you or I..

Good Luck

S

Thanks everyone for your responses x

Sheffield

There's two different things here.

1st is Ebay. They probably won't do anything as at first glance it was 'delivered'

2nd is legally. Legally, it's not down to the buyer to chase the Royal Mail. The buyers contract is with the seller, to supply and deliver the item. The seller contracted Royal Mail to deliver, which they failed to do. They should be taking it up with RM, not the buyer. Royal mail shouldn't be dealing with the recipient. The posty has helped out as a courtesy.

Going a 'legal' route is never a good idea unless at a last resort, and I imagine it wouldn't be worth it anyway. It would be best to keep on-side with the seller and hope they can resolve it amicably, and them deal with RM.

"There's two different things here.

1st is Ebay. They probably won't do anything as at first glance it was 'delivered'

2nd is legally. Legally, it's not down to the buyer to chase the Royal Mail. The buyers contract is with the seller, to supply and deliver the item. The seller contracted Royal Mail to deliver, which they failed to do. They should be taking it up with RM, not the buyer. Royal mail shouldn't be dealing with the recipient. The posty has helped out as a courtesy.

Going a 'legal' route is never a good idea unless at a last resort, and I imagine it wouldn't be worth it anyway. It would be best to keep on-side with the seller and hope they can resolve it amicably, and them deal with RM."

Thought that's what I said

» Add a new message to this topic