FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > I was totally gobsmacked!

I was totally gobsmacked!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *oe_Steve_NWest OP   Couple  over a year ago

Bolton

Out last night, lovely Chinese restaurant in town, quite busy, family on the next table, a couple walked in, they looked nice, a woman with the family party looked at them, took her handbag off the back of her chair where it had been for about an hour and put it right behind her. Reason? They were a black couple. Loads of people had come in and passed behind her chair and she hadn't bothered.Wow, I was absolutely amazed and furious, the couple didn't notice thank fully. I have to say that I have never seen such an act of outright racism in my life. I don't know if this will get any responses but I wanted to share my horror. Z

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

But did she say she had taken it off cause they where a black couple? Could of been all sorts of reasons and it was just a coincedence

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Perhaps they knew them from somewhere before that night. It doesn't make them racist.

Bolton

"But did she say she had taken it off cause they where a black couple? Could of been all sorts of reasons and it was just a coincedence"

Yes you're right, but loads of people had come in and walked near her, some didn't look as nice as this couple, it just seemed to me - I may have been wrong - that it was because of their colour. Z

And your gobsmacked because you think racism doesn't exist anymore?

A mate of mine (he's black) was telling me a story about how it used to happen often to him, whenever he'd walk into a pub/bar coffeeshop etc, he'd notice the people sitting near to him would suddenly move their purse/handbang closer to themselves.

I thought he was making it up or something, i guess after your post, no he wasnt!

"But did she say she had taken it off cause they where a black couple? Could of been all sorts of reasons and it was just a coincedence"

I was just thinking the same, far too many people make assumptions here and believe they are mind readers.

I've seen it happen with chavs (black and white), scousers, geardies etc.

Had it happen to myself (I'm white) I've worked all over the country, in every major city and you usually find most people will protect personal belongings if they see someone unfamiliar to them.

The most suspicious people are the ones from little villages, how do I know? I have been questioned by the authorities more times in these places and never in the main cities.

The point being it doesn't matter who or what colour you are, you will get the finger or look of suspicion if you are somewhere different where others don't know you.

By *ingmasterMan  over a year ago

nottingham

just a couple of days ago i had a lady shepherd 3 young children into the path of oncoming traffic in order to avoid walking past me . i was dressed in track suit and a woolly hat, and i was speed walking but even so , what kind of a coccon would you need to live in to prefer risking the lives of your own children than to walk past a black man at 630 in the evening .

By *ingmasterMan  over a year ago

nottingham

"I've seen it happen with chavs (black and white), scousers, geardies etc.

Had it happen to myself (I'm white) I've worked all over the country, in every major city and you usually find most people will protect personal belongings if they see someone unfamiliar to them.

The most suspicious people are the ones from little villages, how do I know? I have been questioned by the authorities more times in these places and never in the main cities.

The point being it doesn't matter who or what colour you are, you will get the finger or look of suspicion if you are somewhere different where others don't know you."

Not sure that this explains why the security guard at the local sainsburys near me shadows me around the store every time i go in there , whether im wearing a business suit or not . come on , its been 7 months , i am a regular.

"just a couple of days ago i had a lady shepherd 3 young children into the path of oncoming traffic in order to avoid walking past me . i was dressed in track suit and a woolly hat, and i was speed walking but even so , what kind of a coccon would you need to live in to prefer risking the lives of your own children than to walk past a black man at 630 in the evening ."

Stereotyping of demographical sections of society by the media has done more harm to racial equality than anything else.

'Hoodies' are projected as evil scumbags with no respect for society or the law and what happens? Hoodies are banned from being worn in the very shopping centres that sell them.

The point being it doesn't matter who or what colour you are, you will get the finger or look of suspicion if you are somewhere different where others don't know you.

Not sure that this explains why the security guard at the local sainsburys near me shadows me around the store every time i go in there , whether im wearing a business suit or not . come on , its been 7 months , i am a regular."

I've had that happen many times in super markets and shops.

Nothing unusual there you might think, but I was installing the security systems!! lol

A thief thinks all people steal, as an analogy.

So how someone thinks, is how they think everyone else thinks at times.

Their actions, maybe totally innocent, fitted in with your perception, maybe!!!

Bolton

I appreciate the comments, I know I made assumptions and I know that racism exists - I'm not that naive, and people do look after their belongings in a public place but for her not to bother for an hour then do that, it just struck me as an odd thing to do! Z

Bolton

"Their actions, maybe totally innocent, fitted in with your perception, maybe!!!"

No, didn't fit in with my perceptions, I had to look again at the couple before i realised they were black as it didn't register with me initially. Z

lol thats actually funny. i`d of pissed myself

some people

"Out last night, lovely Chinese restaurant in town, quite busy, family on the next table, a couple walked in, they looked nice, a woman with the family party looked at them, took her handbag off the back of her chair where it had been for about an hour and put it right behind her. Reason? They were a black couple. Loads of people had come in and passed behind her chair and she hadn't bothered.Wow, I was absolutely amazed and furious, the couple didn't notice thank fully. I have to say that I have never seen such an act of outright racism in my life. I don't know if this will get any responses but I wanted to share my horror. Z"

There are and always will be people like this in the world. unfortunately.

"Out last night, lovely Chinese restaurant in town, quite busy, family on the next table, a couple walked in, they looked nice, a woman with the family party looked at them, took her handbag off the back of her chair where it had been for about an hour and put it right behind her. Reason? They were a black couple. Loads of people had come in and passed behind her chair and she hadn't bothered.Wow, I was absolutely amazed and furious, the couple didn't notice thank fully. I have to say that I have never seen such an act of outright racism in my life. I don't know if this will get any responses but I wanted to share my horror. Z"

Now ya see you missed a trick here !

What you should have done is swiped her bag and whilst the police were questioning the black couple you could have been out of there lickety split with your bus fare home and perhaps a couple of free drinks on her too

"Out last night, lovely Chinese restaurant in town, quite busy, family on the next table, a couple walked in, they looked nice, a woman with the family party looked at them, took her handbag off the back of her chair where it had been for about an hour and put it right behind her. Reason? They were a black couple. Loads of people had come in and passed behind her chair and she hadn't bothered.Wow, I was absolutely amazed and furious, the couple didn't notice thank fully. I have to say that I have never seen such an act of outright racism in my life. I don't know if this will get any responses but I wanted to share my horror. Z

Now ya see you missed a trick here !

What you should have done is swiped her bag and whilst the police were questioning the black couple you could have been out of there lickety split with your bus fare home and perhaps a couple of free drinks on her too "

I like the way this man thinks!!

Not sure that this explains why the security guard at the local sainsburys near me shadows me around the store every time i go in there , whether im wearing a business suit or not . come on , its been 7 months , i am a regular."

That reminds me of the stories one of my brother-in-laws used to tell. He was in a "gang" when he was younger - around 16/17...we're talking early 80 now.

These young lads were made up of black and white youths. They used to all go up town to Selfridges and Harrod's on a nicking spree - but my brother-in-law and his black friends never stole a thing. They'd walk into the shops and the security guards would follow them around, while their white mates had a field day nicking anything that wasn't nailed down.

30 years on...doesn't seem like much has changed!

By *ngie-babyWoman  over a year ago

huntingdonish

hmmmm .... think i would make a point of walking INTO you lol

It doesn't surprise me.

I was in pizza hut with my small boy a while back sat near a woman with 2 small children.

She very loudly asked the waitress if they could move table as a young lad on the next table who had physical disablitities was " frightening her chldren".

I have never wanted to punch a human being more so in my life.

By *e ja vue 2Couple  over a year ago

MANCHESTER

dont know if its the same but i used to deliver to small villages in North Wales and would often stop for my dinner, im white and a cockney and went into a village bakery (wont name the village) very busy with locals happily chatting away and people coming in behind joining in the chatter all in english when i was asked what i wanted said "two sausage rolls "in a thick southern accent and ALL in the shop started speaking in welsh only , racism or just ignorance ?

By *ushroom7Man  over a year ago

Bradford

Is this a spot the "racism, who me?" thread

"dont know if its the same but i used to deliver to small villages in North Wales and would often stop for my dinner, im white and a cockney and went into a village bakery (wont name the village) very busy with locals happily chatting away and people coming in behind joining in the chatter all in english when i was asked what i wanted said "two sausage rolls "in a thick southern accent and ALL in the shop started speaking in welsh only , racism or just ignorance ? "

Had exactly the same, in the same place.

Cornwall too and Scotland amongst others. Colour doesn't always come into race.

[Removed by poster at 24/10/11 17:48:26]

I'd follow you around the Shop and might put you in my trolley to take you home

Sandra xxx

"dont know if its the same but i used to deliver to small villages in North Wales and would often stop for my dinner, im white and a cockney and went into a village bakery (wont name the village) very busy with locals happily chatting away and people coming in behind joining in the chatter all in english when i was asked what i wanted said "two sausage rolls "in a thick southern accent and ALL in the shop started speaking in welsh only , racism or just ignorance ? "

Why a thick southern accent if your from Manchester?

To the point, they were proably talking about you, not to you

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"

Is this a spot the "racism, who me?" thread"

I think it is .....

I can't think of a story to clear me. I must be racist.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"But did she say she had taken it off cause they where a black couple? Could of been all sorts of reasons and it was just a coincedence

Yes you're right, but loads of people had come in and walked near her, some didn't look as nice as this couple, it just seemed to me - I may have been wrong - that it was because of their colour. Z"

The idea that the bag was moved due to the colour of another couple came from you and no one else.

Nothing you can say can alter that.

You have NO idea why the bag was moved.

All of this comes from you.

"But did she say she had taken it off cause they where a black couple? Could of been all sorts of reasons and it was just a coincedence

Yes you're right, but loads of people had come in and walked near her, some didn't look as nice as this couple, it just seemed to me - I may have been wrong - that it was because of their colour. Z

The idea that the bag was moved due to the colour of another couple came from you and no one else.

Nothing you can say can alter that.

You have NO idea why the bag was moved.

All of this comes from you. "

Agree 100%

By *ornyHorwichCpl aka HHCCouple  over a year ago

horwich

That happened to my friend and yes they were slagging her off. She got the last laugh as she turned to them and spoke in the clearest Welsh that they should really not make assumptions about people they don't know. They were quite rightly very embarrassed.

I'm not racist I hate everybody.

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"

Is this a spot the "racism, who me?" thread"

Is it cos you got a black avatar innit?

By *ittlemorespiceCouple  over a year ago

North Cornwall

The point being it doesn't matter who or what colour you are, you will get the finger or look of suspicion if you are somewhere different where others don't know you."

To be fair your name is slightly suspicious

To be fair your name is slightly suspicious "

That's not my real name silly!

To the OP...are you sure they weren't Jewish?

*Disclaimer* I am in no way suggesting anyone of any ethnic minority would be more prone to stealing even *coughs* Gypsy's.

» Add a new message to this topic