FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Film Certificates

Film Certificates

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

My 11 year old son came out with a comment the other day "dad, do you realize I'm still not old enough to watch Jurassic Park?"

Thinking about it I suddenly realised that he watched that movie when he was 5 or 6 and loved it, became a massive dino fan as kids do and still enjoys watching the series today.

Anyway, I recorded Christine the other night (movie about a possessed car for those who don't know), started to watch it last night and the mrs said turn it off its a horror, but if you watch it the horror in it is pretty tame compared to stuff on the TV today, films very rarely get an 18 Classification these days and I think our tolerance on such gore and violence has relaxed somewhat, The Evil Dead was an 18, Watched it last night (after the boy had gone to bed), and thought it was very tame.

Has anyone else thought that Horror and Violence in movies has got worse yet the certificate for said movie is 15 at most?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Think so yes, but I believe once a film has been given it's certificate it has to stay with it (I could be wrong here but that is my understanding of it)

There are still 18Certs out there, but more due to 'mind games' or 'shagging' than for violence these days.

I was sure when jurrasic park originally was in the movies it was a pg as 12 wasnt around then..

I think when it came out on dvd is was re classified..

I dont mind what age the movies is as long as I think that my children are capable of understanding it.. I have never thought that violence on movies or games leads to violent individuals.. and that if it does, they were already predisposed to it.

Although I did get a bit upset when my then 4 year old told me Daddy had let her watch nightmare on elm street.. although she didnt find it scary.. its the one film from my childhood that for some reason scared me.. still no idea why... as its not even scary.. but to this day I can not watch it.

cali x

"I was sure when jurrasic park originally was in the movies it was a pg as 12 wasnt around then..

I think when it came out on dvd is was re classified..

"

the 12 classification was generated for this film as Spielberg wanted to reach as many viewers as possible and a PG was deemed to risky at the time, we are talking 1993 by the way

12 rating film classifications didnt come out till the 2000's though if I remember rightly..

cali x

I'm all curious now about the Evil Dead.. didn't think it was certified 18

"I'm all curious now about the Evil Dead.. didn't think it was certified 18

"

my DVD copy is, and 12 was introduced in 93

I just checked and we didnt get 12 ratings till 2002.. and they gave the 12a as spiderman was being given a 12 and parents wanted the kids to be able to see it..

so it was changed to a 12a.

Cali x

"I just checked and we didnt get 12 ratings till 2002.. and they gave the 12a as spiderman was being given a 12 and parents wanted the kids to be able to see it..

Cali x"

well shiver me timbers I just checked myself and they are PG (on amazon) but the copy I have has 12 on it at home

I stand corrected.

I was about 12 or 13 and had my first taste of anime, Legend of the demon womb. I dunno how I managed to get it, its possibly the most violent film ever and graphically sexual, I mean demons with 10 cocks fucking schoolgirls and ripping them open etc etc.

but as for nowadays classifications on certain films..I wonder really, some horror films are in my opinion not deserving of an 18 rating.

now I know this is, about parenting but my family have always watched scary movies,films such as paranormal activity my neices n nephews love- and last week we all sat jumping and screaming at the new grave encounters movie (all my neices n nephews are under 15)

the same goes for video games- my nephew(11) plays and beats middle aged guys in call of duty- a game not designed for his age group

but lastly as for classifications the major joke of everything was the banning of childs play with regards to the jamie bulger case.

after that anything games wise/horror film was a daily mail target

"I just checked and we didnt get 12 ratings till 2002.. and they gave the 12a as spiderman was being given a 12 and parents wanted the kids to be able to see it..

Cali x

well shiver me timbers I just checked myself and they are PG (on amazon) but the copy I have has 12 on it at home

I stand corrected. "

I was reading and when they brought out the 12, they reclassified many movies.. lol

I have the video copy and that is definately a PG..

so dont worry lol

Cali

Cali x

I stand corrected.

I was reading and when they brought out the 12, they reclassified many movies.. lol

I have the video copy and that is definately a PG..

so dont worry lol

Cali "

i feel cheated now lol

"

i feel cheated now lol"

look at it this way.. you can tell your son that he is okay to watch it as when it came out it was a pg..

see us kids were tougher back then lol...

Cali

Oh and Australia...the film and videogame classifications over there are unbelievable lol..they have a cheek with the moral highground on movies, but quite happy to have almost systematically wiped out their indigenous people lol

"

i feel cheated now lol

look at it this way.. you can tell your son that he is okay to watch it as when it came out it was a pg..

see us kids were tougher back then lol...

Cali "

He loves Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the dead, I did let him sit with me when I was watching Nightmare on Elm Street '84, he didnt stay in the room for long haha

» Add a new message to this topic