FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > wednesday strike

wednesday strike

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *teborah OP   Couple  over a year ago

warrington

When the government decides we can have a day off for the royal wedding it doesn't damage the economy,

but when workers are forced to strike for the day to protect their livelihoods, "it damages the UK economy by half a billion" - a tenth of the cost of the wedding to uk taxpayers. More constitutional monarchy hypocrisy

Just seen this posted on a friends facebook page. Has a point I think

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *obbytupperMan  over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

"When the government decides we can have a day off for the royal wedding it doesn't damage the economy,

but when workers are forced to strike for the day to protect their livelihoods, "it damages the UK economy by half a billion" - a tenth of the cost of the wedding to uk taxpayers. More constitutional monarchy hypocrisy

"

Fuck me that must have been some cake.

By *teborah OP   Couple  over a year ago

warrington

cake or no cake still has a point

By *aceytopWoman  over a year ago

from a town near you

fair point,im on strike that day,first time iv ever gone on strike because i dont feel right leaving my oldies,but they have pissed me off so much over the last year,new working conditions,longer hours,more paperwork,and im 3k down on last years salary,

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I agree that we cannot allow standards of living to drop and those who work should have a decent pension.

However the way to get this situation rectified would be to have delective action that would cause embarassment to the goverment rather than turn the great unwashed against those taking industrial action.

For instance the staff in the tea rooms in the Houses of Parliament should go on strike and that would cause so much inconvenience to the commons and lords!

Power to the people!

By *aceytopWoman  over a year ago

from a town near you

i will have you know i get a shower everyday lol

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple  over a year ago

hexham

"When the government decides we can have a day off for the royal wedding it doesn't damage the economy,

Just seen this posted on a friends . Has a point I think

"

Ahhh but when the economic figures are worse than anticipated the Royal wedding was to blame!

This Govenment doesnt have a clue about economics

The Goverment was put there by the great unwashed. So its our fault!

There was no way Britain could let our future monarch get married without all the pomp and curcumstance that goes with it. He's our future King and what are we as a nation if we cannot be afforded a day to celebrate the marriage of our future king to our future queen.

The strike on Wednesday is an entirely different matter altogether. Only 1 out of every 4 people who belong to the unions calling this action voted for it. 75% of the membership either voted 'No' or declined to vote at all, yet millions of people are being dragged out of work - and sacrificing a day's pay - by a minority who simply want to rattle their sabres at the govt.

I'm not saying that govt was right to do what they're doing - they weren't, and if the pensions of public sector workers needed to be reviewed then it should have been only for new employees to the public sector, not retrospectively applied to those who have worked, in some cases, for decades in public service, and planned for their retirements accordingly. That's my main umbrage at how the govt have handled this, but I fundamentally agree that public pensions were far too high when compare to how much a private sector employee would have to save to get a similar pension. I also agree that as people are living longer they should contribute longer to their pensions if they work in the public sector (private sector workers can determine their own working life span), and the only way to do that is to extend the retirement age.

Or we go down the road that Greece travelled and we've already seen the dead end that road leads to.

I think the fact that we have a future King and Queen adequately sets out the situation. We are happy as a nation to contribute to a monachy that has no real benefical effect on the lives of those who live on a council estate in Manchester yet we are happy to state that pensions are "too high"

We really do live in a mogodon induced state!

As for Greece they are an example of having too much credit on their cards! They have to pay it back!

By *rumalexMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

"There was no way Britain could let our future monarch get married without all the pomp and curcumstance that goes with it. He's our future King and what are we as a nation if we cannot be afforded a day to celebrate the marriage of our future king to our future queen.

The strike on Wednesday is an entirely different matter altogether. Only 1 out of every 4 people who belong to the unions calling this action voted for it. 75% of the membership either voted 'No' or declined to vote at all, yet millions of people are being dragged out of work - and sacrificing a day's pay - by a minority who simply want to rattle their sabres at the govt.

I'm not saying that govt was right to do what they're doing - they weren't, and if the pensions of public sector workers needed to be reviewed then it should have been only for new employees to the public sector, not retrospectively applied to those who have worked, in some cases, for decades in public service, and planned for their retirements accordingly. That's my main umbrage at how the govt have handled this, but I fundamentally agree that public pensions were far too high when compare to how much a private sector employee would have to save to get a similar pension. I also agree that as people are living longer they should contribute longer to their pensions if they work in the public sector (private sector workers can determine their own working life span), and the only way to do that is to extend the retirement age.

Or we go down the road that Greece travelled and we've already seen the dead end that road leads to."

i agree with what you said, my problem is with the government complaining that the majority didnt vote for a strike, if people cant be assed to vote, then complain that they are being dragged into a strike that trhey dont want i have no sympathy for them, i have family complaining about the strike on wednesday, but they didnt vote when they had the chance.

"i agree with what you said, my problem is with the government complaining that the majority didnt vote for a strike, if people cant be assed to vote, then complain that they are being dragged into a strike that trhey dont want i have no sympathy for them, i have family complaining about the strike on wednesday, but they didnt vote when they had the chance. "

Absolutely, those that didn't vote when they could have shouldn't complain, but that's democracy for you. I haven't seen a groundswell of support from the public in general over this strike which lends me to think that the unions are doing this just to have a pop at the govt. They wouldn't have dared do it under a Labour govt as that would be biting the hand that feeds them. I'm glad I'm not working at the moment and Siren is about to start her maternity leave so the strike won't affect us at all, but I really do feel for those who will be affected by it, either directly or indirectly. It should have been handled better by both the govt and the unions but they are fundamentally opposed to each other and a win/win solution was never going to be found to this situation. Will the unions call for more industrial action after this one? They'll lose a lot of sympathy if they do.

using your arguement against the strike wishy, do you think we would still have a monarchy if we were allowed a vote in our great democracy?

"using your arguement against the strike wishy, do you think we would still have a monarchy if we were allowed a vote in our great democracy?"

If it was ever put to the vote then we have to abide by the outcome. I would vote no, and probably get involved in the No Campaign as I believe in our monarchy that strongly, but, essentially, if it turns out to be a 'No' vote then that's how it has to be.

"

Striking public servants don't bring in millions in tourism but the monarchy do. I think you will find the royal wedding brought in twice as much in foreign currency than it cost.

Anyway i thought it was a strike over pensions not people loosing their livelihood.

am more bothered because I cant take my car through the tunnels to get to work

long time no see Doc

"am more bothered because I cant take my car through the tunnels to get to work

long time no see Doc "

Going through a tunnel before work! Sounds like a morning of pleasure.

By *obletonMan  over a year ago

THE STICKS

"which lends me to think that the unions are doing this just to have a pop at the govt."

given the conservatives record of deliberately engineering confrontations with the unions in order to gain support for yet more anti-union legislation - or to just spark off a good old fashioned class war, I'd say it was more likely that it the other way round.

Considering Francis Maude's recent comments, that pretty much seals the deal.

It's straight out of the Tory dirty tricks handbook - harp on about freedom of choice but when people excercise that choice in ways they don't like, just change the law to take those choices away.

i think you will find that the figures for that arguement are highly suspect,in any case people come to see the buildings not the people themselves.

we are supposed to live in a meritocracy these day's.

By *thwalescplCouple  over a year ago

brecon

"

The Royal wedding cost us £5 billion?

I think someone needs to re-do their maths?

Guys we live in a democratic society. Its no use complaing that only x% of the ballot turned out its the fact they were given the oppurtunity to vote is the important issue.

The Royal wedding did not cost £5b it was more like £200m to the british public or in other words about 5 years of Tamoxofin which is a drug to treat breast cancer which is not widely available. Now who wants Tamoxofin or Kate Middletons dress?

One last point on the ballot turn out. Francis Maude shoul realise he is in goverment with 32% of the popular vote!

Its called democracy!!!

THE STICKS

"

One last point on the ballot turn out. Francis Maude shoul realise he is in goverment with 32% of the popular vote!

"

on a turnout of 65% - so in fact it's 20.8%

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

"................. Only 1 out of every 4 people who belong to the unions calling this action voted for it. 75% of the membership either voted 'No' or declined to vote at all......"

Don`t we vote in our Govenrment in the same way? No compulsion to vote in a General election or any other political election come to that. If it`s good enough system for the Government to be brought into power like this then surely it must be good enough for the unions.

For the record, I did not get my voting papers in time to vote, presumably a fault with the Post Office. I will not lose out much on my persion but that`s mainly due to my age and not only not having a wage rise for the last three years (can`t see me getting another for the next three either!) but I`ve had a cut in hours too! I will not be striking because I simply will not be able to lose another day`s pay, but I will not be at work having booked a day`s holiday. Not the idea I`ll agree but I cannot afford to do it any other way.

It fills me with anger that public sector workers are to strike on Wednesday, and when they do they will be disrupting the lives of the very people who are paying into the system to provide these militants with the lucrative pensions they are striking to protect. And they expect public support for it?

Not from me they won't. Get to fookin work and earn your money. GRRRR.

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

"It fills me with anger that public sector workers are to strike on Wednesday, and when they do they will be disrupting the lives of the very people who are paying into the system to provide these militants with the lucrative pensions they are striking to protect. And they expect public support for it?

Not from me they won't. Get to fookin work and earn your money. GRRRR. "

So it makes a person a militant because they don't agree with a governments policy on changing pension rights?

Are you suggesting that anyone that dares to disagree with a given government policy is a militant?

THE STICKS

"It fills me with anger that public sector workers are to strike on Wednesday, and when they do they will be disrupting the lives of the very people who are paying into the system to provide these militants with the lucrative pensions they are striking to protect. And they expect public support for it?

oh really wishy - lay off the Daily Mail rhetoric for just a moment please - you're just making yourself look foolish.

Militants? do me a favour. Even unions who represent very conservative, well paid and middle class public sector workers like the National Association of Headteacher - who have never striked their 114 year history have voted overwhemlingly in favour of action (75% in favour with a 53% turnout).

Indeed if you had been paying attention, it's the better paid (and therefore the least likely to be "militant") public sector workewrs who have the most to lose.

Do try and keep up.

oh really wishy - lay off the Daily Mail rhetoric for just a moment please - you're just making yourself look foolish.

Militants? do me a favour. Even unions who represent very conservative, well paid and middle class public sector workers like the National Association of Headteacher - who have never striked their 114 year history have voted overwhemlingly in favour of action (75% in favour with a 53% turnout).

Indeed if you had been paying attention, it's the better paid (and therefore the least likely to be "militant") public sector workewrs who have the most to lose.

Do try and keep up."

If I can disagree with you without resorting to abuse, maybe you should do the same and then we might have a debate.

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

when the government break promises,what kind of reaction do they expect.

i agree with wishy's earlier post,only new people coming into public sector jobs,should be effected by the changes in pensions.

many workers could have taken more lucrative jobs in the private sector,had it not been for the promised pension.

whether or not,people consider the pension remuneration,to be to great,it matters not.

they were agreed,and promised,by the government,and should be honoured.

"when the government break promises,what kind of reaction do they expect.

i agree with wishy's earlier post,only new people coming into public sector jobs,should be effected by the changes in pensions.

many workers could have taken more lucrative jobs in the private sector,had it not been for the promised pension.

whether or not,people consider the pension remuneration,to be to great,it matters not.

they were agreed,and promised,by the government,and should be honoured."

That's about the long and short of it really. Honour the deal existing employees got and give new employees the restructured package. It'll only take 49 years to filter it all out so that everyone is equal again.

it is no wonder we have the government ans society we do.if you have worked all of your life why shouldn't you expect a decent pension,we should be campaigning for better pension provision for every-one instead of sniping at other ordinary worker's pensions. it is shameful how many people are going to rely on state aid to live on in their old age.

Meanwhile......the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Europes BUST, BUSTED, BUST..

The public sector is going to face a further 350,000 jobs by 2014/5...

A depression is being signalled by a conveyor belt of bad news....looking into the abyss....everything is up fer grabs.....and renogtiated...

Its a brave new world.....

Mabye they`ll be a fiscal realignment of the seven beaurcrats who are currently employed to every farmer toiling the earth..

The spuds will be handy...no need to export..

The Original Post is laughable bollocks...

in the good old day's i remember a government saying we couldn't afford a couple of billion a year to give a decent standard of living to our pensioners...............the banks went bust and we found hundreds of billions to give then along with a new deffinition of what a trillion is............its a strange world

By *waymanMan  over a year ago

newcastle

I love the idea that people will be dragged out on strike on Wednesday. Dragged?

Does anyone believe that?

No-one has to strike. All the bollocks about the turnout in the ballot is just that.

By *adchickCouple  over a year ago

Cyprus

So it makes a person a militant because they don't agree with a governments policy on changing pension rights?

Are you suggesting that anyone that dares to disagree with a given government policy is a militant?"

I've refused to strike.

But I do think that people forget that we do pay into our own pensions as well.

If a private sector worker pays into their pension and their company pays into their pension, why is it any different that a public sector worker pays into their pension and their employer pays into their pension?

As for the promised 'golden' pensions for those civil servants who have worked for the government for years...... it was always to make up for the crap wages.

I'm currently underpaid by about £20k per year for my job, because I work for the government and not for the private sector. My pension will actually be slightly less than someone paying, the same amount as me, into a private pension on the same wage as me.

So why, just because I work for the government, does it mean that myself and people like me are ridiculed as apparently having brilliant pensions paid for by the taxpayer?

All this fuss has actually made me think that maybe I should go and work for a private company. I'd be far better off and my pension, at 65 would be twice as much as I will get from the government.

they were agreed,and promised,by the government,and should be honoured."

sounds like a legal suite might be more in order in that case.

THE STICKS

"

If I can disagree with you without resorting to abuse, maybe you should do the same and then we might have a debate."

I'm not abusing you Wishy - I'm just calling you on the woefully uninformed rhetorical crap you just spouted and setting you straight on a few points.

The notion that this is somehow a militant action - or even militant orchestrated is so unbeleivably laughable and naive that I have to wonder where you get these things that pass for facts in your mind.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"I love the idea that people will be dragged out on strike on Wednesday. Dragged?

No-one has to strike. All the bollocks about the turnout in the ballot is just that. "

but a lot of people are going to be damaged.. for example.. you live in newcastle....

no metro's wednesday.... no buses apparently....

Nero fiddles while Rome burns...

Where`s the money ?..

people damaged!a bit dramatic _abio.

what about the snow last year lol.

i think the money men and the capitalist system have damaged more people than a 1 day strike !

the money was only on paper and the bankers balance sheets.it vanished faster than a politicians promise.

newcastle

"I love the idea that people will be dragged out on strike on Wednesday. Dragged?

No-one has to strike. All the bollocks about the turnout in the ballot is just that.

but a lot of people are going to be damaged.. for example.. you live in newcastle....

no metro's wednesday.... no buses apparently....

"

Apparently public servants are of no value.

Except when they strike, when they're worth half a billion a day, apparently.

Most buses in Newcastle are private sector so no reason for them to be on strike - unless it's to complain about the fact that their bosses have been caught colluding to avoid competition and keep up prices. (I'm not sure if some Stagecoach drivers might be in the LGPS mind you)

Funny how the papers haven't led on that bus story by the way - the Chronic did a bit on it, but far less than some of the hysterical garbage about public sector pensions...

hi not strikeing cant afford to miss days wage

+ head chef in residential so why should residents suffer poor sods workef all there lifes

By *amschwingerzCouple  over a year ago

West

We are both out..I dont want to because I think its going to be a total waste of time..so you dont go in Wednesday..and end up playing catch up thursday and friday...

But it seems like I will be the only one in work..and I would like to remain popular with people.

I had shit last time there was a day of action or going in..just because I gave the union rep (who had be giving me the cold shoulder treatment and handing out a few snidey remarks all week) a full on broadside of abuse, called him everything I could think of..plus told him a few home truths about being the laziest twat in the place..

So..after giving me shit all week the cowardly wanker goes and reports me for intimidation!!!

This is more about politics than principles

"the money was only on paper and the bankers balance sheets.it vanished faster than a politicians promise. "

An inflationary bubble of imagionary assets....

The divide betwen rich and poor is getting wider...

Resulting in a system thats top heavy, and in this case, bursting with insolvent debt.....consumption trickles....it topples...

TIMBER !!....A wastleland of pulp....to print money again...

By *ngel Devil69Couple  over a year ago

Manilva

"

No-one is forcing them to go on strike. They had the chance to vote and most couldn't be arsed. Shows how much they think of their precious pensions??

What narks me is, that the public sector seems to think that they should be immune to all the cutbacks etc. Whilst the rest of us have to suffer.

By *arambarMan  over a year ago

swindon

"Guys we live in a democratic society. Its no use complaing that only x% of the ballot turned out its the fact they were given the oppurtunity to vote is the important issue.

The Royal wedding did not cost £5b it was more like £200m to the british public or in other words about 5 years of Tamoxofin which is a drug to treat breast cancer which is not widely available. Now who wants Tamoxofin or Kate Middletons dress?

Its called democracy!!!"

Woah, that's a bit of a straw man there... let's just have both Kate Middleton wearing a nice dress and Tamoxifen for those who need it.

Nice to blame the party in power now - Just one question where were the unions when Mr Brown "raided" the pensions the first time; niether parties Labour nor Tories know what they are doing. Ask yourselves one question what was Tony Blairs job before he went into politics or to that fact David Camerons? Have they had to work 40-50 hours a week on minimum wages? Then ask yourselves do the Union bosses lose out? Answer a simple no - they get more then the most in here...Me I was on minimum wage for 4 years then lost my job and Labour never helped nor the unions..as female not right age and wrong living area...

Am sorry dont agree with the strike at all as it just gives problems to all which we don't need H.

swindon

TBH, I don't actually know very much about the reasons behind the strike. I just know that I've gotta take the day off work (luckily I get a few days per year for just this sort of thing, cause I've already taken most of my holiday and booked the remainder over xmas) because my nipper's school is closed due to the teachers going on strike.

Funnily enough, we received a letter from the school not so long ago saying that if any parents take their children out of school during term time then they will be reported to the local council, and will incur a financial penalty of £50 per parent and per child for doing so!

I wonder if I can bill Carambar Jr's school £50 per teacher per child, as they're going to be absent during term time..?!?

By *john121Man  over a year ago

staffs

Now let's see public sector workers...

Most have been on a pay freeze for three years and this will be continuing.

This week alone a good friend has worked 9-7 mon -fri in the office and then 9-12 Saturday running a scheme in response to to a requst from members of the general public to help improve service delivery that only 2 of the 15 invited and who had confirmed could be bothered to turn up to!

Oh yes having a laptop means extra hours at home too.

Has already worked 60 hrs over for which no OT is paid. This is common most months.

Most will put double into their pension because the employer doesn't contribute.

They are not entitled to bonus pay or perks. Not even free tea and coffee. And are all facing possible redundancies.

Oh and let's not forget they pay the same taxes as you and are entitled to exactly the services so they will also have child care issues on the day!

Some are too afraid to strike as they fear they will be on a 'black list' in the next round of redundancies.

So you just imagine paying into a scheme for over 20 years and then be told that in your retirement you will be £3000 a year worse off, have to work more years and pay even more into your pension than the 20%+ you already pay in.

You clearly have no idea what the situation is.

I have a final salary pension scheme one of the few possibly still in the private sector and feel that I have to contribute to much buts it's small change by comparison.

I agree that cuts need to be made but to much tp soon will not help.

The governments figures do not stack up because if they did they wouldn't be able to put the offer onto the table that they have.

And as for the Greece argument well that's just so weak. Most sensible economists agree that there are some countries that should never have been in the euro and Greece sadly is probably one of them. But time will tell and it's probably going to be the best place to holiday soon!

It's a good job the Daganham ladies didn't give up isn't it!

staffs

"TBH, I don't actually know very much about the reasons behind the strike. I just know that I've gotta take the day off work (luckily I get a few days per year for just this sort of thing, cause I've already taken most of my holiday and booked the remainder over xmas) because my nipper's school is closed due to the teachers going on strike.

Funnily enough, we received a letter from the school not so long ago saying that if any parents take their children out of school during term time then they will be reported to the local council, and will incur a financial penalty of £50 per parent and per child for doing so!

I wonder if I can bill Carambar Jr's school £50 per teacher per child, as they're going to be absent during term time..?!?"

Strikers also have kids in school and they will loose a days pay.

At least your day is paid.

This week alone a good friend has worked 9-7 mon -fri in the office and then 9-12 Saturday running a scheme in response to to a requst from members of the general public to help improve service delivery that only 2 of the 15 invited and who had confirmed could be bothered to turn up to!

Has already worked 60 hrs over for which no OT is paid. This is common most months.

Most will put double into their pension because the employer doesn't contribute.

They are not entitled to bonus pay or perks. Not even free tea and coffee. And are all facing possible redundancies.

Oh and let's not forget they pay the same taxes as you and are entitled to exactly the services so they will also have child care issues on the day!

Some are too afraid to strike as they fear they will be on a 'black list' in the next round of redundancies.

So you just imagine paying into a scheme for over 20 years and then be told that in your retirement you will be £3000 a year worse off, have to work more years and pay even more into your pension than the 20%+ you already pay in.

I have a final salary pension scheme one of the few possibly still in the private sector and feel that I have to contribute to much buts it's small change by comparison.

The governments figures do not stack up because if they did they wouldn't be able to put the offer onto the table that they have.

And as for the Greece argument well that's just so weak. Most sensible economists agree that there are some countries that should never have been in the euro and Greece sadly is probably one of them. But time will tell and it's probably going to be the best place to holiday soon!

"

If you are not happy with your job apply for another! If you are worth more you will stand a good chance of getting it. If you are a lazy fucker working for local government because its an easy option then you are in for a rude awakening in the next 5 years.

staffs

No-one is forcing them to go on strike. They had the chance to vote and most couldn't be arsed. Shows how much they think of their precious pensions??

What narks me is, that the public sector seems to think that they should be immune to all the cutbacks etc. Whilst the rest of us have to suffer.

"

No idea

You still want all your services I pressume

So think on

Last 3 years a pay freeze. Cut backs/ stream lining call it what you will it stilleams redundancies have been going on.

Pay freeze to continue.

20+% plus going into pension.

No contribution from employer. No bonus, perks or discounts! No performance related bonus and actual reductions in salary.

More to go into pension for average £2000 year reduction in final pension, working till 68 for some. average.

Oh yes and of course the public sector are some how immune from everything that's happening in the economy!

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

" It'll only take 49 years to filter it all out so that everyone is equal again. "

eureka,i've got an idea,we could ease the burden,of paying the promised pensions,for the 49 years.

by making the people who put us in the shit,yes banks,pay tax,according to their profits.

wow!,i know it's a bit out there,but hey,it could work.

staffs

If you are not happy with your job apply for another! If you are worth more you will stand a good chance of getting it. If you are a lazy fucker working for local government because its an easy option then you are in for a rude awakening in the next 5 years. "

So local government are lazy fuckers are they!

You have no idea what these 'lazy fuckers' do for you or the hours they put in.

Your an ungreatful.....well the words fail me!

Let's see you do the work some of these people do for the salary they do it for...

And some of these people could earn far more in the private sector but choose to work where they do for the right reasons and non of which is just to line their own pockets!

Minimum wage!

staffs

Are you suggesting that anyone that dares to disagree with a given government policy is a militant?

I've refused to strike.

But I do think that people forget that we do pay into our own pensions as well.

If a private sector worker pays into their pension and their company pays into their pension, why is it any different that a public sector worker pays into their pension and their employer pays into their pension?

As for the promised 'golden' pensions for those civil servants who have worked for the government for years...... it was always to make up for the crap wages.

I'm currently underpaid by about £20k per year for my job, because I work for the government and not for the private sector. My pension will actually be slightly less than someone paying, the same amount as me, into a private pension on the same wage as me.

So why, just because I work for the government, does it mean that myself and people like me are ridiculed as apparently having brilliant pensions paid for by the taxpayer?

All this fuss has actually made me think that maybe I should go and work for a private company. I'd be far better off and my pension, at 65 would be twice as much as I will get from the government.

"

Very true!

swindon

"Strikers also have kids in school and they will loose a days pay.

At least your day is paid."

It's only paid cause fortunately I've not had to use my 'emergency days' this year... until now. Otherwise it would be an unpaid holiday

Those who are striking may well have kids in schools which are closing for the day, but the strikers are the reason the schools are closing.

As I said, I don't really know the details behind the strike, so my opinion may change once I have looked into it. But for the moment the strikers don't have my sympathy because I'm being inconvenienced by their actions.

"Now let's see public sector workers...

"

The last company I worked for used to laugh if I asked for a pay rise. I'm not joking, my boss actually laughed and said, "You'll be lucky." I didn't have a pay rise for four years so forgive me if my heart doesn't bleed for public sector workers who don't get a pay rise either, but then Siren is public sector and she gets an automatic rise linked to inflation every year without fail.

"

"

Working Time Directive.

It is illegal to force an employee to work more than 48 hours unless they have opted out of the working time directive. I suspect your chum has, as I doubt very much that a public sector organisation would defy the WTD.

"

"

Why should anyone be entitled to free tea and coffee, I never have in all the places I've worked. The company I worked for didn't even have a company pension scheme let alone contribute to it. And as for redundancies, well, I'll take that with a pinch of salt considering the tribunal I've just been through because the company I slogged my guts out for for 17 years decided that they'd rather breach my terms of employment and risk a tribunal than pay me the redundancy money I was due - and they won they case on a technical point of law.

newcastle

"Now let's see public sector workers...

The last company I worked for used to laugh if I asked for a pay rise. I'm not joking, my boss actually laughed and said, "You'll be lucky." I didn't have a pay rise for four years so forgive me if my heart doesn't bleed for public sector workers who don't get a pay rise either, but then Siren is public sector and she gets an automatic rise linked to inflation every year without fail.

Working Time Directive.

It is illegal to force an employee to work more than 48 hours unless they have opted out of the working time directive. I suspect your chum has, as I doubt very much that a public sector organisation would defy the WTD.

Why should anyone be entitled to free tea and coffee, I never have in all the places I've worked. The company I worked for didn't even have a company pension scheme let alone contribute to it. And as for redundancies, well, I'll take that with a pinch of salt considering the tribunal I've just been through because the company I slogged my guts out for for 17 years decided that they'd rather breach my terms of employment and risk a tribunal than pay me the redundancy money I was due - and they won they case on a technical point of law."

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. Did your union not help with the tribunal? My union helps with my troubles, To quote a very good song 'There is a power in a union...'

And all you can do is whinge about your troubles and sneer at those who'd rather organize and resist this government's attempts to blame them for the banker's cockups. You are, my friend, the architect of some of your misfortunes - take a look in the mirror before you try and inflict your twisted world view on the rest of us.

By *yrdwomanWoman  over a year ago

Putting the 'cum' in Eboracum

"And as for redundancies, well, I'll take that with a pinch of salt"

Why would you think public servants are lying about this? For funsies??

My friend was made redundant. It was by pure luck and good timing his old department had vacancies. Out of the 80 civil servants down my corrisor, 20 will have to go in the next two years. HAVE to go,not choose to go!

I haven't had a pay rise for two years. My pension is being nibbled away. And perks we had to make up for the shocking pay scales are being taken away. We are insulted by the press, the public, and our own Government (who are also public servants by the way, albeit much better paid), yet we are supposed to take yet another cut without a murmer? Bollocks! And please, check your facts before insulting hardworking people who are scared shitless about losing their jobs.

Cyprus

"And as for redundancies, well, I'll take that with a pinch of salt

Why would you think public servants are lying about this? For funsies??

My friend was made redundant. It was by pure luck and good timing his old department had vacancies. Out of the 80 civil servants down my corrisor, 20 will have to go in the next two years. HAVE to go,not choose to go!

I haven't had a pay rise for two years. My pension is being nibbled away. And perks we had to make up for the shocking pay scales are being taken away. We are insulted by the press, the public, and our own Government (who are also public servants by the way, albeit much better paid), yet we are supposed to take yet another cut without a murmer? Bollocks! And please, check your facts before insulting hardworking people who are scared shitless about losing their jobs. "

Redundancies...................

I've had 12 gapped posts wiped out by te redundancies.

I'm losing 2 more staff (and there are only 6 of us doing 18 jobs) and we are already stretched past our limit.

We have received no pay rise (even the inflation rise) this year and we are now on a 2 year pay freeze.

Our bonus was paid this year (approx £350 before tax for most civil servants) and has been binned for the next 2 years.

And as Wyrdwoman says..... we are insulted by the press, the public and our own government and a high percentage of our friends because we are also fighting for our own jobs.

The civil service ARE losing 1/3 of the work force.

If this was happening in the private sector, there would be uproar. Because we are 'just' civil servants, we are meant to take it?

We get no overtime.

We

Cyprus

Ooohhh.......

And civil servants don't get free tea and coffee. We pay into our own 'brew fund'...

If someone would like to tell me what 'perks' the normal civil servant gets... I'd be interested to know.

[Removed by poster at 28/11/11 08:10:15]

Morning all. Wow, this thread seems to have exercised a few people. For my tuppenysworth, I think the govt should look at mandatory limits for minimum votes for valid strikes,- /although that principle would probably then have to follow through for general elections and the like. If people didn't vote, they shouldn't strike,- where's their moral compass to stand up and either make a stand, or if not feeling the anger enough to vote, to say so , and keep working.

Talk about reduced pensions if you want, the improved offer and t&cs is still a million times better than most of the private sector get.

Personally, I could never strike, even if I was able to,- it just goes against how I believe things should be done. If you're not happy with what you're being offered, look elsewhere. No one has a god given right to employment, or terms.

they were agreed,and promised,by the government,and should be honoured.

That's about the long and short of it really. Honour the deal existing employees got and give new employees the restructured package. It'll only take 49 years to filter it all out so that everyone is equal again. "

This is actually Huttons recommendation...is it not....

He states quite clearly that any changes should not be implemented retrospectively...a recommmendation the government accepts..

As a consequence....anybody with a few years to go, won`t see any effect on their contributions, they made during their career..

Someone entering the public sector will face the new system...increased contributions for longer, and an end to final salary..

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

Just one other little thing. The division of the council I worked for used to be "independent" from the rest of council. We are a DLO and gained work from outside of the council as well as within. Yes, private persons, local firms, water authorities, the lot. ALL of our sub divisions earnt a profit for our division and we used to have a profit share after the divion`s needs were taken care of. We lost the profit share so all of the profit went back to the council and up to the end of the last financial year we were still returning a profit. However, we`ve had to ditch several subbie`s and seasonals whilst the workload has increased

"This is actually Huttons recommendation...is it not....

He states quite clearly that any changes should not be implemented retrospectively...a recommmendation the government accepts..

As a consequence....anybody with a few years to go, won`t see any effect on their contributions, they made during their career..

Someone entering the public sector will face the new system...increased contributions for longer, and an end to final salary.."

I haven't read Hutton's recommendations but if that's what they are then I agree with him. It is clear the pension system for public sector employees has to change, even the unions recognise that fact, but it should not affect those already paying into a pension fund and have done so for many years, it just wouldn't be fair.

» Add a new message to this topic