FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > A nurse did right but got a complaint

A nurse did right but got a complaint

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Someone we know who is one send a patient to the hospital she then got called to the office for doing right.

Here is what happened, she refered a 52 year old male with a serious heart problem with high blood preasure to the hospital, he got there but there was a long queue and he asked a man how long he been there he said 2 days, he didnt want to wait and then went home, he complained, whats your view, shouldnt a practise be on the nurse side more, also are here anyone that have experienced this as a nurse?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

What was the outcome of the complaint? Was she reprimanded? Or did it just go away, with the patient having no grounds for complaint?

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

So a guy went to the hospital but wouldn't wait because another man said he would be two days in the queue so the nurse who sent him there got in to trouble? What did she get in to trouble for?

"What was the outcome of the complaint? Was she reprimanded? Or did it just go away, with the patient having no grounds for complaint?"
Nothing luckily came out if it as it went away after a while, she was just told of. I take it as the practise investigated it more, but what gets to me is that they was on the patient side first.

"So a guy went to the hospital but wouldn't wait because another man said he would be two days in the queue so the nurse who sent him there got in to trouble? What did she get in to trouble for? "
It was as he never got the treatment there and the practise dint receive that he was there by the hospital so they thought she didnt refer him.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"So a guy went to the hospital but wouldn't wait because another man said he would be two days in the queue so the nurse who sent him there got in to trouble? What did she get in to trouble for? It was as he never got the treatment there and the practise dint receive that he was there by the hospital so they thought she didnt refer him."

I see. Was the misunderstanding cleared up?

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Because as far as the practice knew she didn't refer him and it was only on further investigation that they found she had. There must have been records showing her referral

"So a guy went to the hospital but wouldn't wait because another man said he would be two days in the queue so the nurse who sent him there got in to trouble? What did she get in to trouble for? It was as he never got the treatment there and the practise dint receive that he was there by the hospital so they thought she didnt refer him.

I see. Was the misunderstanding cleared up? "

Yes, it was a big misunderstanding there.

She should have recorded it on his records, sounds like no appointment was made at the hospital as same day appointments are highly unlikely. If there had been an appointment made he would have been shown as a no show. If she just said you should go to the hospital then this is considered a recommendation for a self referral therefore she would never have been in trouble!!

Not sure that anyone will know the full details as this is 3rd hand info ...

"Someone we know who is one send a patient to the hospital she then got called to the office for doing right.

Here is what happened, she refered a 52 year old male with a serious heart problem with high blood preasure to the hospital, he got there but there was a long queue and he asked a man how long he been there he said 2 days, he didnt want to wait and then went home, he complained, whats your view, shouldnt a practise be on the nurse side more, also are here anyone that have experienced this as a nurse?"

Where did the nurse first see the patient - was it at a GP surgery or at home? If it was a "serious heart problem with high blood pressure", she should have called an ambulance and had him taken straight to A&E. If she just sent him off on his own, she's neglecting her duty of care.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

No one wants at the hospital for 2 days, that's ridiculous

Complaints happen wherever the public are concerned unfortunately.

People forget about the human being they're complaining about and do what they can to get what they can from whatever "system" they're moaning about.

Regularly get complaints about staff at our place that are ridiculous. They all need investigation and the majority turn out to be people being selfish pricks.

One I had was "we sat there for 10 minutes before the waitress came over"

Watch the CCTV back to see what I was doing, I was at the table next to them, had acknowledged their arrival, you see me smile and speak to them briefly. I then take an order for a large table that takes about 7 mins, you see me put the menus away, then approach the table that then put in that complaint about shit service upon arrival.

Basically, people expect you to neglect everyone else and treat them like they're the only people in the world.

P

"Someone we know who is one send a patient to the hospital she then got called to the office for doing right.

Here is what happened, she refered a 52 year old male with a serious heart problem with high blood preasure to the hospital, he got there but there was a long queue and he asked a man how long he been there he said 2 days, he didnt want to wait and then went home, he complained, whats your view, shouldnt a practise be on the nurse side more, also are here anyone that have experienced this as a nurse?"

This weeks episode of shit that never happened

By *he devil wears pradaWoman  over a year ago

gosport ish

Here is what happened, she refered a 52 year old male with a serious heart problem with high blood preasure to the hospital, he got there but there was a long queue and he asked a man how long he been there he said 2 days, he didnt want to wait and then went home, he complained, whats your view, shouldnt a practise be on the nurse side more, also are here anyone that have experienced this as a nurse?

This weeks episode of shit that never happened "

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

Yes that is right.

To quote meatloaf..... You took the words right out of my mouth

"No one wants at the hospital for 2 days, that's ridiculous"
That is right, nhs is stretch to its limits.

"Complaints happen wherever the public are concerned unfortunately.

People forget about the human being they're complaining about and do what they can to get what they can from whatever "system" they're moaning about.

Regularly get complaints about staff at our place that are ridiculous. They all need investigation and the majority turn out to be people being selfish pricks.

Watch the CCTV back to see what I was doing, I was at the table next to them, had acknowledged their arrival, you see me smile and speak to them briefly. I then take an order for a large table that takes about 7 mins, you see me put the menus away, then approach the table that then put in that complaint about shit service upon arrival.

Basically, people expect you to neglect everyone else and treat them like they're the only people in the world.

P"

That is right

By *xMFM3sumsxxWoman  over a year ago

SouthWest Lancashire

Don't know why she got blamed for referring him?

But everyone should complain. The NHS is strapped for cash, staff, and that. If you don't complain it will get worse and not better.

I complained 2017 because i got woken up from my bed to be sent home as they needed my bed. Thing is i was off my face on morphine at the time and couldn't walk because i had 2 herniated discs. Nobody checked i was alright to go home and they wheeeled me out in a wheelchair. Oh and they weren't even going to admit me despite me being in incredible pain in the first place, again coz they said they had no beds.

2 days! What a stupid post

evesham

"No one wants at the hospital for 2 days, that's ridiculousThat is right, nhs is stretch to its limits."

Sorry Shag but I call bollocks on this one. You expect me to believe that someone was sat about waiting to even be seen by someone for 2 whole days?

I'd understand maybe admitted and waiting for tests but no one with heart problems is made to wait about for 2 whole days.

evesham

Also, what did he complained about? His impatience?his choice not to wait?

Once at the hospital they have taken over duty of care of that patient.

You can advise people but cant force them to stay

By *oodnitegirlWoman  over a year ago

Yorkshire

Ok. So. This story does not add up

The PN sent him to A&E off the back of his BP readings (possibly an ECG?) - fine.

He gets there and some other patient (?confused or ?sarcastic bastard) says ‘I’ve been waiting two days’ and off the back of this the chap goes home - and then the PN gets reprimanded. For WHAT????

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Don't know why she got blamed for referring him?

But everyone should complain. The NHS is strapped for cash, staff, and that. If you don't complain it will get worse and not better.

I complained 2017 because i got woken up from my bed to be sent home as they needed my bed. Thing is i was off my face on morphine at the time and couldn't walk because i had 2 herniated discs. Nobody checked i was alright to go home and they wheeeled me out in a wheelchair. Oh and they weren't even going to admit me despite me being in incredible pain in the first place, again coz they said they had no beds."

Five years ago I would have thought you were exaggerating, I'm sorry you experienced this. My mum was taken to a and e with a fractured vertebra. She was in her 80s, incontinent due to the injury and immobile. They sent her home the following morning into the care of my 90 year old father. The two days that followed were hell for all of us until we could arrange to get her into a care home to recover.

Another time she was in hospital the woman in the next bed was blind and had dementia. I had to ensure she had a drink each day because nobody had time to make sure her drink was close enough to her so she could reach it.

I could say more but I think these two examples are enough.

By *oodnitegirlWoman  over a year ago

Yorkshire

"Also, what did he complained about? His impatience?his choice not to wait?

"

On an unrelated note there was a case in the high court recently where a bloke decided not to wait as the A&E receptionist told him it was a 4hr wait - he went home and had an aneurysm or a stroke or something and then he sued the hospital. THE PATIENT WON!

SouthWest Lancashire

I complained 2017 because i got woken up from my bed to be sent home as they needed my bed. Thing is i was off my face on morphine at the time and couldn't walk because i had 2 herniated discs. Nobody checked i was alright to go home and they wheeeled me out in a wheelchair. Oh and they weren't even going to admit me despite me being in incredible pain in the first place, again coz they said they had no beds.

Five years ago I would have thought you were exaggerating, I'm sorry you experienced this. My mum was taken to a and e with a fractured vertebra. She was in her 80s, incontinent due to the injury and immobile. They sent her home the following morning into the care of my 90 year old father. The two days that followed were hell for all of us until we could arrange to get her into a care home to recover.

Another time she was in hospital the woman in the next bed was blind and had dementia. I had to ensure she had a drink each day because nobody had time to make sure her drink was close enough to her so she could reach it.

"

I've been in hospital having kids, miscarraiges, with kids needing things, but this last time has left with a phobia of hospitals. Every time i just go in for a check up my blood pressure is off the charts.

If you did complain you should put all the examples. It's easyto do it online,just go reviews of the hospital and place (ward,whatever) and review it by complaining, they do reply and tell you to contact PALS.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I've been in hospital having kids, miscarraiges, with kids needing things, but this last time has left with a phobia of hospitals. Every time i just go in for a check up my blood pressure is off the charts.

If you did complain you should put all the examples. It's easyto do it online,just go reviews of the hospital and place (ward,whatever) and review it by complaining, they do reply and tell you to contact PALS."

We didn't complain, mostly because my parents didn't want to but also because we were all exhausted by the whole affair. I do feel in hindsight that we should have.

During her most recent three week stay in hospital mum asked me to write to her mp about the pressure on nurses and HCAs. I think if more of us did that we might make an impact.

If any relative of mine is in hospital I make sure I go in daily because I'm not confident that the staff will have time to care for them.

salisbury

"If you've been let down by an over stretched and under funded health service, do try and improve the service by suing them for all you can!"

""If you've been let down by an over stretched and under funded health service, do try and improve the service by suing them for all you can!" "

Exactly!

By *ommenhimCouple  over a year ago

wigan

"Complaints happen wherever the public are concerned unfortunately.

P"

Customer walks into restaurant/pub..... has to wait ten minutes before any service..... do you think that’s right? I think that’s piss poor... do I think it’s your fault.... probably not .... but they waited ten minutes for service!

Forum Mod

East Sussex

""If you've been let down by an over stretched and under funded health service, do try and improve the service by suing them for all you can!" "

Complaining and bringing failings to their attention might stop it from happening to someone else. Writing to our MP brought it to her attention.

Suing the health service isn't the way forward but there has to be accountability and I know of no other way than bringing mistakes to their attention, that can be done without litigation

SouthWest Lancashire

If you did complain you should put all the examples. It's easyto do it online,just go reviews of the hospital and place (ward,whatever) and review it by complaining, they do reply and tell you to contact PALS.

We didn't complain, mostly because my parents didn't want to but also because we were all exhausted by the whole affair. I do feel in hindsight that we should have.

During her most recent three week stay in hospital mum asked me to write to her mp about the pressure on nurses and HCAs. I think if more of us did that we might make an impact.

If any relative of mine is in hospital I make sure I go in daily because I'm not confident that the staff will have time to care for them."

I'll go to my MP if i get admitted and it happens again, good idea. Don't think i'll do anything now as it was over a year ago and things migh have changed by now.

It was his choice not to stay and be seen she did her job by referring him he’s a grown man who can make his own decisions there should be no question of her being reprimanded

Everyone should complain!!! Wtf?

The only people to suffer would be more patients and the staff that are working their hardest in an impossible environment

"It was his choice not to stay and be seen she did her job by referring him he’s a grown man who can make his own decisions there should be no question of her being reprimanded "
That is right, she did the right thing

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Everyone should complain!!! Wtf?

The only people to suffer would be more patients and the staff that are working their hardest in an impossible environment "

You think we should continue to see staff and patients suffer and keep quiet about it?

salisbury

I told my consultant about the nurse who accidentally gave me a morphine overdose during the night. His reply was "yeah, you gotta watch 'em!".

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

Wouldn't the nurse have been better speaking to his GP rather than sending him to A and E ?

And I would complain if I was sitting in a restaurant for ten minutes without being given a menu or my drink order taken.

SouthWest Lancashire

"Everyone should complain!!! Wtf?

The only people to suffer would be more patients and the staff that are working their hardest in an impossible environment "

Patients are already suffering so that makes no difference. Staff as well probably from what i've seen.

We're the change, we need to stop keeping the status quo and change things. BTW there are protests every single week at my local hospital and they've been going on for years, our complaints back them up.

» Add a new message to this topic