By *urning the kinkMan  over a year ago

bristol

"Any mechanics who know about aircon and pumps i need to ask a question please"

I'm a air con engineer xx

What's up

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *rixiepeep OP   Woman  over a year ago

over the hill / chatsworth

I've just had a new air conditioning pump and it doesn't seem to be holding the air conditioning so the first time this happened I took it back to the garage and the garage said it wasn't holding its charge so they took the pump apart resealed whatever it was and then they had it on charge for 15 minutes and it's seem to be running and holding the charge. I brought it home and the air conditioning isn't getting cold so what I want to know is it an open system as such or is it a part open system when they are running the test so for instance when they're running the test does it test everything the leads the pump the whole air con system or does it shut off certain parts and only test half of the system say the pump and not the Leads I need to know the pumps faulty because it's not holding its charge or the Leads or There's a leak somewhere else is there any way of knowing this or have you got any information about this please that would be very much

bristol

"I've just had a new air conditioning pump and it doesn't seem to be holding the air conditioning so the first time this happened I took it back to the garage and the garage said it wasn't holding its charge so they took the pump apart resealed whatever it was and then they had it on charge for 15 minutes and it's seem to be running and holding the charge. I brought it home and the air conditioning isn't getting cold so what I want to know is it an open system as such or is it a part open system when they are running the test so for instance when they're running the test does it test everything the leads the pump the whole air con system or does it shut off certain parts and only test half of the system say the pump and not the Leads I need to know the pumps faulty because it's not holding its charge or the Leads or There's a leak somewhere else is there any way of knowing this or have you got any information about this please that would be very much"

bristol

"I've just had a new air conditioning pump and it doesn't seem to be holding the air conditioning so the first time this happened I took it back to the garage and the garage said it wasn't holding its charge so they took the pump apart resealed whatever it was and then they had it on charge for 15 minutes and it's seem to be running and holding the charge. I brought it home and the air conditioning isn't getting cold so what I want to know is it an open system as such or is it a part open system when they are running the test so for instance when they're running the test does it test everything the leads the pump the whole air con system or does it shut off certain parts and only test half of the system say the pump and not the Leads I need to know the pumps faulty because it's not holding its charge or the Leads or There's a leak somewhere else is there any way of knowing this or have you got any information about this please that would be very much"

It could be both

The garage should pressure test before charging

It's completely illegal to charge refrigerant if there is a leak.

I could get 4 years in prison if I charge a system knowing it's got a leak

Fgas rules

But hopefully they have done it correctly

Or the compressor (pump) could have failed

If it was cooling for a bit I'm guessing the pumps ok.

Sounds like a leak to me.

Cars are a nightmare for leaks lots of seals that can leak

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

What car is it ... Ill see if I can help

"I've just had a new air conditioning pump and it doesn't seem to be holding the air conditioning so the first time this happened I took it back to the garage and the garage said it wasn't holding its charge so they took the pump apart resealed whatever it was and then they had it on charge for 15 minutes and it's seem to be running and holding the charge. I brought it home and the air conditioning isn't getting cold so what I want to know is it an open system as such or is it a part open system when they are running the test so for instance when they're running the test does it test everything the leads the pump the whole air con system or does it shut off certain parts and only test half of the system say the pump and not the Leads I need to know the pumps faulty because it's not holding its charge or the Leads or There's a leak somewhere else is there any way of knowing this or have you got any information about this please that would be very much

It could be both

The garage should pressure test before charging

It's completely illegal to charge refrigerant if there is a leak.

I could get 4 years in prison if I charge a system knowing it's got a leak

Fgas rules

But hopefully they have done it correctly

Or the compressor (pump) could have failed

If it was cooling for a bit I'm guessing the pumps ok.

ounds like a leak to me.

Cars are a nightmare for leaks lots of seals that can leak

"

Good advice

Why was the pump originally changed?

By *rixiepeep OP   Woman  over a year ago

over the hill / chatsworth

The pump was changed because I had a problem with my clocks and they took my dash out yo replace them then when it came back the aircon button didn't work at all and it was whining so the garage changed the pump and had it regased collect it and it wasn't cold so took it back and they said it wasn't holding charge so they took it apart and 're did it it then held charge for 15 mins no problem or so I thought picked it up and no gold air so is it the pump or a split hose or a seal? When I switch on my aircon does it work as a whole unit or part unit like a pump in a boiler ECT... I have spent 450 on pump and it's still not cold grrrr

Did the air con work before..?

By *bzcoupleCouple  over a year ago

Aberdeenshire

There are two “pumps” in the system.

The air con compressor, and the blower fan. It sounds like it’s the blower they changed.

Recharging the air con sounds like a separate issue. IIRC the test on the air con before filling with refrigerant is supposed to be 30 minutes and is a vacuum test. They can then charge it with refrigerant.

Can you confirm which pump, fan, compressor they changed? Compressors get leaky seals with sitting, other culprits tend to be the condenser or hoses.

Aberdeenshire

Also, the air con part works as a system. When you need it, it engages and cools the air. However, it won’t do this if there is no gas for example, it has pressure monitoring. So if the compressor isn’t coming on, this doesn’t necessarily mean the compressor is at fault, it could just be low gas pressure holding it out.

If it’s running out of gas in that time, they’ve clearly not tested correctly, I’d ask to see their licence for re-gassing!

There is only one pump and that the compressor pump. Drivern by the engine. The is a fan motor on the air con condenser.

Sounds fishy why the pump has gone faulty after they replaced the clocks

"There is only one pump and that the compressor pump. Drivern by the engine. The is a fan motor on the air con condenser.

Sounds fishy why the pump has gone faulty after they replaced the clocks "

Exactly my thought

If they have changed the compressor they should have also completed the following;

Fitted a new dryer.

Pressure tested with nitrogen at 150psi to check for leaks.

Refill the compressor with the correct weighted PAG oil.

If it is leak free vacuum the system for a minimum of 30 minutes to remove any moisture.

Refilled the system with the correct weight of gas +\- 10 grams.

Fit tamper proof seals to the service valves.

As said earlier it is illegal to fill a known leaking system.

The biggest area for leaks on cars is the condenser (the bit that looks like a radiator at the front of the car) from stone chips etc.

Take it back, you have paid for the work doing they have to make it right. If you’re unsure go to another dealership and pay for a diagnostic then small claims.

Above all good luck.

BTW I docar aircon

Aberdeenshire

"There is only one pump and that the compressor pump. Drivern by the engine. The is a fan motor on the air con condenser.

Sounds fishy why the pump has gone faulty after they replaced the clocks "

Think you’re missing my point...

There is no pump.

There is a compressor (which is not a pump) and a blower fan. The OP suggested her pump didn’t work after they were in behind the dash, where blower fans normally are located. Hence the query of which “pump” they changed.

They sound like a right dodgy outfit to me

» Add a new message to this topic