FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Electrical smart meters..

Electrical smart meters..

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *lem-H-Fandango OP   Man  over a year ago

salisbury

Yay, or no way?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I like not having to do meter readings as I always forget then get hit with a re-calculated bill. And it's amazing how entertained you become watching it register things turning on and off.

By *ingle Beds LassWoman  over a year ago

Bedfordshire

Works for me, I have a property in Scotland... all done without lifting a finger

By *ssex_tomMan  over a year ago

Chelmsford

Not for me

Not for me and it really pisses me of that I still have to pay for them another brilliant idea from the government

Chelmsford

Switch lightbulb on.. meter goes faster..

Switch lightbulb off.. meter goes slower..

Illuminating stuff..

By *lem-H-Fandango OP   Man  over a year ago

salisbury

I only ask, as our supplier is telling us our certification has run out, and they want to replace it with a "smart" one.

Chelmsford

Think they might be on the con

But not sure

No way. Can't see the point of them. Plus they record your conversations and send them to Russia.

Chelmsford

Why Russia ?

They're a con .I will be the last in the country to get one..

It's not a con, suppliers are obliged by regulator/government to get smart meters into every home by a given deadline, which has incidentally just been extended as it was completely forgot unrealistic.

Yep there good ! Saves time and you can see how much your using

"It's not a con, suppliers are obliged by regulator/government to get smart meters into every home by a given deadline, which has incidentally just been extended as it was completely forgot unrealistic."
it's been extended because nobody wants them in except those who always obey what advertising says. If you go with one supplier and decide you want to switch hi percentage got blank so you're back to square one anyway with an estimated reading pointless absolutely pointless.. you are not legally obliged to have one..

"No way. Can't see the point of them. Plus they record your conversations and send them to Russia. "

Another plus point . I'm just away to plant some disinformation from my kitchen and see if it ends up on RT.

By *ittall2020Man  over a year ago

Norwich

One other thing, they'll make it possible for them to know when you're charging an electric car in the future, and tax you accordingly, just like petrol is taxed.

I've just looked on the legal websites and you are not legally obliged to have one.. it's a con.. they try to tell you you Must have one.. no you dont ..

"It's not a con, suppliers are obliged by regulator/government to get smart meters into every home by a given deadline, which has incidentally just been extended as it was completely forgot unrealistic. it's been extended because nobody wants them in except those who always obey what advertising says. If you go with one supplier and decide you want to switch hi percentage got blank so you're back to square one anyway with an estimated reading pointless absolutely pointless.. you are not legally obliged to have one.."

I've worked for one of the big 6 for the last 10 years, I can assure you the reason for the extension is due to the initial deadline being completely unrealistic.

You are correct that many of the current smart meters go un-smart if you switch suppliers, that's why version 2 Meters are currently being rolled out, which remain Smart if you switch.

The first line from Citizens advice re:smart meters,

'Smart metres won't necessarily save you any money.'

"The first line from Citizens advice re:smart meters,

'Smart metres won't necessarily save you any money.' "

True. And the relevance of this statement is?

What they will do is make it much more likely that you will get billed based on an actual reading, rather than an estimated reading, which as we all know can be way off the mark.

As someone who is privy to a lot of the data in this area, I know that estimated billing is one of the customers biggest complaint areas.

By *i1971Man  over a year ago

Cornwall

As I understand it you're not legally obliged to have one. Personally, I don't think it's possible to save any electricity beyond my present use. As appliances are replaced of course they will become more efficient and there could be a slight further reduction, but it's not cost effective to change appliances just for the sake of it.

I know people who have them and have no problems at all, but all they have done is saved them having the meter read/sending readings.

I suspect longer term it will be used to weight payments/taxes

No way am I having one, my supplier is calling me nearly every week trying to book in to install one and writing to me telling me our meter is out of date, but everyone I know that has one seems to have had a problem with it

What they will do is make it much more likely that you will get billed based on an actual reading, rather than an estimated reading, which as we all know can be way off the mark.

As someone who is privy to a lot of the data in this area, I know that estimated billing is one of the customers biggest complaint areas.

"

if your privvy to information you will know that people with smart metres still get estimated bills.. so your reasoning doesn't wash !

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

No way

anyone thinking smart metres save you any money/ hassle just Google

" 6 reasons to say no to smart meters".

don't just take my word for it..

By *BWandhusbandCouple  over a year ago

Midlands

We had a guy to come fit one and he said it wasn't possible due to lack of signal. So looks like we're not getting one.

"

I suspect longer term it will be used to weight payments/taxes "

I suspect this too.

Commercial or big consumers have their meters read every 30 minutes, as the price of electricity changes this quickly based on demand.

3am, electricity is cheap. 8am, when everyone is boiling their kettle and demand spikes, it is expensive.

Residential customers get those spikes evened out into a steady tariff, based on average consumption over a 24 hour period.

If smart meters allowed residential customers to be billed based on when they consumed power, rather than just how much, then this would definitely drive a lower demand at peak times, which would reduce the need for extra capacity to cope with spikes in demand, which would lower cost to deliver, which would lower bills.

Which is good, right?

if your privvy to information you will know that people with smart metres still get estimated bills.. so your reasoning doesn't wash !"

Some do, but a lot don't. Trying to use edge cases to prove your point is a sure fire admission that you are lacking a good, fact based argument.

You're effectively saying the solution is poor, because it only solves 95% of the problem, so we're better off solving 0% of it

if your privvy to information you will know that people with smart metres still get estimated bills.. so your reasoning doesn't wash !

Some do, but a lot don't. Trying to use edge cases to prove your point is a sure fire admission that you are lacking a good, fact based argument.

You're effectively saying the solution is poor, because it only solves 95% of the problem, so we're better off solving 0% of it"

and as you have admitted working for one of the Big Six you're obviously biased towards having them fitted at least you're a good spokesperson for the government/big 6. I'll give you that, can you not speak for brexit as well..another beauty !

how the hell does a thread about electric meters even get contentious?!

"anyone thinking smart metres save you any money/ hassle just Google

" 6 reasons to say no to smart meters".

don't just take my word for it.."

A telegraph piece. ..hardly sensationalist newspaper..read the article....interesting.

You're effectively saying the solution is poor, because it only solves 95% of the problem, so we're better off solving 0% of itand as you have admitted working for one of the Big Six you're obviously biased towards having them fitted at least you're a good spokesperson for the government/big 6. I'll give you that, can you not speak for brexit as well..another beauty !"

I have no loyalty to my employer at all, I do a job, they pay me. That's as far as it goes. I'm just giving you the facts, and my opinion based on those facts.

Whereas you, rather than disputing the facts with hard evidence, have now resorted to questioning my integrity, another well known and obvious tactic of the person who knows they have lost the argument.

" how the hell does a thread about electric meters even get contentious?! "

Who'd have thought it

Even colourblind people will sometimes argue that red is green!!

" how the hell does a thread about electric meters even get contentious?!

Who'd have thought it

Even colourblind people will sometimes argue that red is green!!"

Oh, and the OP did ask for an opinion, I guess some people objected to the fact that mine was informed

Who'd have thought it

Oh, and the OP did ask for an opinion, I guess some people objected to the fact that mine was informed "

so is the Daily Telegraph ..

I live my life for me, if I want to use electric for whatever then I will, and no smart meter red light will dissuade me. I'm perfectly happy to continue providing meter readings. I will never have a smart meter as long as it's possible to have a choice.

They are good idea even if its only for vulnerable people and them not having to answer the door to strangers.

Who'd have thought it

Oh, and the OP did ask for an opinion, I guess some people objected to the fact that mine was informed so is the Daily Telegraph .."

An article that's over 2 years old, in a new and rapidly developing technology (yes I did Google it )

It's not now worth the paper it's written on.

Chelmsford

Who'd have thought it

Even colourblind people will sometimes argue that red is green!!"

You can roll a turd in glitter but it's still a turd

Anyway, my baths gone cold, I'm hungry, and the footie is about to start, so I'm checking out

By *rthur WrightusMan  over a year ago

Round the Bend

I have had a smart meter for electricity and gas for around five years.

It is not a con.

It may not even save you money.

What it does is keep you very informed of your usage so you can understand where the pennies go and also negating estimated bills.

By *elvet RopeMan  over a year ago

by the big field

"I only ask, as our supplier is telling us our certification has run out, and they want to replace it with a "smart" one. "

Tell them to fuck off- or to fuck off with their service.

I know several people who fit them, none of them will let one near their house...take that as you wish.

The main benefit is more profit for the power companies as they can dispose of the people who go round and read them and they can reputedly turn off your power remotely if they wish (not had this comfirmed though).

The fact their 'free' should start the alarm bells ringing that its not for your benfit or cost saving

You're effectively saying the solution is poor, because it only solves 95% of the problem, so we're better off solving 0% of itand as you have admitted working for one of the Big Six you're obviously biased towards having them fitted at least you're a good spokesperson for the government/big 6. I'll give you that, can you not speak for brexit as well..another beauty !

I have no loyalty to my employer at all, I do a job, they pay me. That's as far as it goes. I'm just giving you the facts, and my opinion based on those facts.

Whereas you, rather than disputing the facts with hard evidence, have now resorted to questioning my integrity, another well known and obvious tactic of the person who knows they have lost the argument."

Fact one.you you have acknowledged that the rollout has to be extended that's not because it wasn't long enough it's because many people don't want them .Fact 2:you have admitted that people still get estimated bills even with the same smart metre and not switching supplier.. so as I said originally.. pointless .I also said to Google 6 reasons not to get a smart metre which would have given you more facts so I'm afraid yes I did give some facts. Anyway to the original question no I wouldn't have one. Remember this.. the wheels on the bus go round and round.

I'm thinking of getting one, no more doing the meter readings myself, plus can see how much energy things are consuming, so will be more concious when using kettles, tumble driers etc...

Brighton - even Hove!

You're effectively saying the solution is poor, because it only solves 95% of the problem, so we're better off solving 0% of itand as you have admitted working for one of the Big Six you're obviously biased towards having them fitted at least you're a good spokesperson for the government/big 6. I'll give you that, can you not speak for brexit as well..another beauty !

Whereas you, rather than disputing the facts with hard evidence, have now resorted to questioning my integrity, another well known and obvious tactic of the person who knows they have lost the argument."

That tactic is called ‘Ad hominem’ in Latin.

I will never have one

"I have had a smart meter for electricity and gas for around five years.

It is not a con.

It may not even save you money.

What it does is keep you very informed of your usage so you can understand where the pennies go and also negating estimated bills. "

No its not a con but you are dealing with people here who can't work out what's going on with a two tier meter rate or a standing charge to them its all a con.

Brighton - even Hove!

The main reason I don’t want one is that the private companies want me to have one. So I won’t.

By *rAngleseyMan  over a year ago

Anglesey

They emit high levels of radiation (about 10 times what a mobile phone emits). Could cause cancer if you spent too long near one... No thanks!

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man  over a year ago

BRIDPORT

I have declined my electric providers offer to instal one so far as I don’t see what it will change for the better. I already only use the amount of electric that I need to and I don’t have estimated bills because I provide a reading to the guy who comes around. I know which appliances eat it up cos I can see the speed the wheel on the meter goes so I avoid using them if I can. As it’s not going to benefit me I can only assume by their keenness to instal one that it’s going to benefit them, in which case they should be straight and just say that.

"I only ask, as our supplier is telling us our certification has run out, and they want to replace it with a "smart" one.

Tell them to fuck off- or to fuck off with their service.

I know several people who fit them, none of them will let one near their house...take that as you wish.

The main benefit is more profit for the power companies as they can dispose of the people who go round and read them and they can reputedly turn off your power remotely if they wish (not had this comfirmed though).

The fact their 'free' should start the alarm bells ringing that its not for your benfit or cost saving

"

apparently there have already been people cut off at headquarters (which they can do instantly,yes youre right) because of billing errors.. nothing to do with the customer who had already paid..also they have batteries which are supposed to last 10 years and then a man still has to come round to break the seal and replace the battery, but batteries don't always last as long as they are supposed to do so that's yet another issue.. as "good times" did quiet rightly say that these problems only affect a small percentage of people... But I wouldn't want to be the one to be cut off through no fault of my own ..

No. Way.

"Not for me and it really pisses me of that I still have to pay for them another brilliant idea from the government "

» Add a new message to this topic