FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > grammar

grammar

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

just wndering if the way people spell and their grammar puts you off meeting them? ie text speak

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Yes, for me it does

Yes, me too. I hate txt spk. I don't mind spelling issues, it's the content that catches my eye. A funy mayl spelt rong might stil mayk me laff and interest me.....!

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

Text speak when it's not in a text does bug me a bit.

By *heekychezzaWoman  over a year ago

warrington

Continuous text speak certainly puts me off. Poor grammar and spelling sometimes makes me laugh and occasionally makes me wince a bit, but it wouldn't put me off. As long as I can understand what they're saying I don't see it as a problem, whereas adults who are incapable (or just too rude) to use anything but text speak haven't got even half a chance

Totally....and I even get them spelling my username wrongly grrrr

Yes I hate it I am polite and take time with my messgaes and others sould to. Especially singles as it does give us all a bad name x

I wndered lonely as a cloud and thought.....fuckit and blocked.

By *ANWIDGESCouple  over a year ago

DONCASTER

Yes it does put us off, I have an excuse for bad spelling I have dyslexia , school was out for me at 14 I just didn't think the teachers were bright enough to make it more enjoyable for me so I took up music, quit school and joined the old man in club land...

Text talkin wanna be massive M8 Innit don't do it for us, we like a sharpe sense of humour and polite wicked streak in a filthy dirty way...

To be honest, people who type utter crap put me off more than those who can't spell.

"To be honest, people who type utter crap put me off more than those who can't spell."

It's one of the reasons I definitely wouldn't meet somebody. I'm a proofreader by trade and if somebody can't spell - or can't be bothered to write the full word, to me, means they won't be very intelligent company. I'm not a snob by any means but I want to meet people who can at least string a sentence together!!!

"It's one of the reasons I definitely wouldn't meet somebody. I'm a proofreader by trade and if somebody can't spell - or can't be bothered to write the full word, to me, means they won't be very intelligent company. I'm not a snob by any means but I want to meet people who can at least string a sentence together!!! "

And it's a nice touch using punctuation when they leave graffiti in your toilet.

By *ANWIDGESCouple  over a year ago

DONCASTER

Oh and Barbour jackets....

Sorry but there a no no...

You know what I mean, they laugh for no reason at jokes that arnt even funny, agree with everything you say, strut round like them fake purse ninjas off shampoo adverts...

Barbour coats are a pandemic...lmao

Depends how bad it is, most of us get some of it wrong, or overlook the odd typo but If it's really bad in every sense then yes, it would put me off

Posts and messages are just so much easier to read and understand when a little thought has gone into them. Hate having to backtrack on something just to get a handle on what they're trying to say.

"Continuous text speak certainly puts me off. Poor grammar and spelling sometimes makes me laugh and occasionally makes me wince a bit, but it wouldn't put me off. As long as I can understand what they're saying I don't see it as a problem, whereas adults who are incapable (or just too rude) to use anything but text speak haven't got even half a chance "

it has put me off sometimes

"It's one of the reasons I definitely wouldn't meet somebody. I'm a proofreader by trade and if somebody can't spell - or can't be bothered to write the full word, to me, means they won't be very intelligent company. I'm not a snob by any means but I want to meet people who can at least string a sentence together!!! "

+1

If we get a message in text speak it results in a 'no thanks', delete and block.

Ben

Totally! I hate text speak. And spelling horny as "horney" really pisses me off, no idea why that word in particular but its the worst!

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"

Posts and messages are just so much easier to read and understand when a little thought has gone into them. Hate having to backtrack on something just to get a handle on what they're trying to say. "

I totally agree with you Fia, even then i cant make out what they mean sometimes but reading other posts usually helps, what a palava!

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

It does put me off. I hope it's not snobbishness, but something about lazily written text just makes my eyes and head hurt.

"

Posts and messages are just so much easier to read and understand when a little thought has gone into them. Hate having to backtrack on something just to get a handle on what they're trying to say. I totally agree with you Fia, even then i cant make out what they mean sometimes but reading other posts usually helps, what a palava! "

lol! that's assuming everyone else has understood

I give up sometimes

100% it puts me off ,

Jen

We don't meet anyone that we haven't developed a bit of a rapport with and we find we can't do that with people that use bad grammar, one line replies or text speak x

yes i hate text talk, even worse coming from a middle aged man

I also hate people who spell how they talk, like black guys who use words like dem, dat, tat, dis etc

its just really annoys me, im from dudley but i dont message people saying......alright ow am ya

By *john121Man  over a year ago

staffs

"just wndering if the way people spell and their grammar puts you off meeting them? ie text speak"

It doesn't do them any favours as far as I'm concerned.

Unfortunately 'text speak' has become a particularly lazy way of communicating.

You missed a 'o' out of wondering!

Of course it's perfect for texting as you have to consider the number of characters' in a text message. However, there isnt a reason on a site such as this as there isn't a character limit, at least none I'm aware of.

"

I also hate people who spell how they talk,

"

Oh I do that! like, 'dunno' or 'dontcha?'

By *john121Man  over a year ago

staffs

"yes i hate text talk, even worse coming from a middle aged man

I also hate people who spell how they talk, like black guys who use words like dem, dat, tat, dis etc

its just really annoys me, im from dudley but i dont message people saying......alright ow am ya

"

Kick a bow against a wo til u bost it!

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple  over a year ago

hexham

"To be honest, people who type utter crap put me off more than those who can't spell."

i cant spell, if i get the wriggly red line i correct, if not it goes out as it is.

Misuse an apostrophe however and i will block you and report you to admin

(oh and before anyone mentions it, yes i dont capitalise my i's i have my reasons )

"Misuse an apostrophe however and i will block you and report you to admin

(oh and before anyone mentions it, yes i dont capitalise my i's i have my reasons )"

I dont think thats' fair....

hexham

[Removed by poster at 30/03/12 01:39:27]

hexham

(oh and before anyone mentions it, yes i dont capitalise my i's i have my reasons )

I dont think thats' fair...."

ohhhh my finger is hovering over the block button

Of course its not fair, intellectual snobbery is never fair, i mean i rarely find a meet who can discuss Schopenhauer but that's life.

Both my Grammars died in the 70s so I doubt they have any influence on me meeting people.

By *bbandflowCouple  over a year ago

South Devon

Of course its not fair, intellectual snobbery is never fair, i mean i rarely find a meet who can discuss Schopenhauer but that's life.

"

To be fair, don't think Arthur would go down very well on this site...raving misogynists tend not to ..lol

"

I can always discuss shoppin hours coz Im' a hintellekchul...

By *un_JuiceCouple  over a year ago

Nr Chester

Yes text speak would put us off it creates visions of sovereign rings, trackies, ready glow orange and ridiculous forehead stroking eye lashes.

People communicating phonetically can be funny but it can prove tricky deciphering what the words or dialect means.

Again we're far from being snobs. Arrogance is worse than text speak. And there's much more of that on here.

By *lam rockerMan  over a year ago

Tain

I never liked my grammar - she was an old witch!

By *un_JuiceCouple  over a year ago

Nr Chester

Ironically though grammar can sometimes go tits up with these bloody smartphones and predictatext

hexham

To be fair, don't think Arthur would go down very well on this site...raving misogynists tend not to ..lol"

You havnt been on the forums long havr you.

i think he is perfect for swinging, the belief that we are destined to have unfufilled cravings, women are infereior and life is bleak could have been an average Thursday whine

By *bbandflowCouple  over a year ago

South Devon

To be fair, don't think Arthur would go down very well on this site...raving misogynists tend not to ..lol

You havnt been on the forums long havr you.

i think he is perfect for swinging, the belief that we are destined to have unfufilled cravings, women are infereior and life is bleak could have been an average Thursday whine "

Down here in south Devon life not so bleak..must be the red soil..lol..must agree to disagree re miserable Arthur..perfect for swinging?... the Carvaka school must be in with a shout

By *odareyouMan  over a year ago

not far from iceland,,,,,, tescos is nearer though :-) (near leeds)

I've been sleeping with this bloke's wife and today he sent me this text: "You go near her again and ill have you dead! Mark my words!"

To which I replied: "8 out of 10, I'll requires an apostrophe and a capital I."

"I've been sleeping with this bloke's wife and today he sent me this text: "You go near her again and ill have you dead! Mark my words!"

To which I replied: "8 out of 10, I'll requires an apostrophe and a capital I."

"

i don't think he'll be bothered about that while he's giving his Mrs a slap for fucking you lol

I absolutely hate grammar snobs and I hate posts like this

I feel it will put off any lurkers that could turn out to be fabulous contributors to the forums as they fear being judged by their grammar ffs

Get over it, seriously it is pathetic

Grammar schools will sort out grammar

you are entitled to your opnion but i am dyslexic and when test for sereval things it was discovered i actually have a very high IQ and am very intelligent when speaking which is why it was left undiagnosised for a long time as teachers just assumed i was lazy when it came to written work. so just because someone can not spell does not mean they r unintelligent

[Removed by poster at 30/03/12 11:12:01]

"It's one of the reasons I definitely wouldn't meet somebody. I'm a proofreader by trade and if somebody can't spell - or can't be bothered to write the full word, to me, means they won't be very intelligent company. I'm not a snob by any means but I want to meet people who can at least string a sentence together!!!

you are entitled to your opnion but i am dyslexic and when test for sereval things it was discovered i actually have a very high IQ and am very intelligent when speaking which is why it was left undiagnosised for a long time as teachers just assumed i was lazy when it came to written work. so just because someone can not spell does not mean they r unintelligent "

By *lam rockerMan  over a year ago

Tain

"It's one of the reasons I definitely wouldn't meet somebody. I'm a proofreader by trade and if somebody can't spell - or can't be bothered to write the full word, to me, means they won't be very intelligent company. I'm not a snob by any means but I want to meet people who can at least string a sentence together!!!

you are entitled to your opnion but i am dyslexic and when test for sereval things it was discovered i actually have a very high IQ and am very intelligent when speaking which is why it was left undiagnosised for a long time as teachers just assumed i was lazy when it came to written work. so just because someone can not spell does not mean they r unintelligent

"

Yes, that!

» Add a new message to this topic