FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Psoriasis...

Psoriasis...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

It’s a fucking curse. My tummy, back and legs are destroyed with it at the moment.

Any sufferers with it on here? What products do you use?

Have you tried something called MooGoo? It’s brilliant! I use the balm, moisturiser and both the shampoo and conditioner.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

My dad has it and he tells people he has monkey AIDS

"My dad has it and he tells people he has monkey AIDS"

By *aughtyandhandsomeMan  over a year ago

button moon

I have a patch on my shin. Bloody annoying

By *yx_InannaWoman  over a year ago

Burslem

I have it mainly scalp polytar shampoo works but it stinks rotten. And when I get out the shower or bath no matter how much exfoliating I peel when I dry and too much exfoliating is sore and end up worse than if I didn't

Basically it's wait till spring and vitamins with as much sunlight as possible.

Yes

Both knees ... Back , legs

Arms

Boob

I think it’s worse than it is - but to me , it’s the one of the reasons I didn’t meet

I’ve tried everything , I’m currently moisturising with vitamin e cream after using most things

"Yes

Arms

Boob

I think it’s worse than it is - but to me , it’s the one of the reasons I didn’t meet

I’ve tried everything , I’m currently moisturising with vitamin e cream after using most things

"

Check out MooGoo. Seriously!

"Yes

Arms

Boob

Check out MooGoo. Seriously!"

I will , I’ve not heard of it

Thank you

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

I remember listening to a radio show many years ago a chap talking about this he was an alternative medicine practitioner.

But he said he had lot's of success advising people to stop everything dairy for a month and seeing how it is after this.

Guess it can't do any harm ?

But as I really know feck all about it other than isn't it a form of arthritis??

Or am I wildly wrong?

"I have it mainly scalp polytar shampoo works but it stinks rotten. And when I get out the shower or bath no matter how much exfoliating I peel when I dry and too much exfoliating is sore and end up worse than if I didn't

Basically it's wait till spring and vitamins with as much sunlight as possible."

I’ve tried Polytar. The smell is vile, plus it strips my hair colour

The shampoo and conditioner I mentioned above is good and smells lovely.

What do you use??

By *uicy jonesMan  over a year ago

near a big hill in s/ shropshire NOT in

I think , but I'm sure , A friend of mine has this and he uses an ultraviolet light

"It’s a fucking curse. My tummy, back and legs are destroyed with it at the moment.

Have you tried something called MooGoo? It’s brilliant! I use the balm, moisturiser and both the shampoo and conditioner. "

Have you tried an ifra red lamp mate, I bought one for arthritis of wrist and daughter who had slight eczema, similar to what you have and has worked miracles on her

"I think , but I'm sure , A friend of mine has this and he uses an ultraviolet light "

You only get light therapy if you’re in the right area and if you’ve been referred to the skin department at the hospital. I think it’s 65% coverage to be eligible for light therapy

By *uicy jonesMan  over a year ago

near a big hill in s/ shropshire NOT in

"I think , but I'm sure , A friend of mine has this and he uses an ultraviolet light

You only get light therapy if you’re in the right area and if you’ve been referred to the skin department at the hospital. I think it’s 65% coverage to be eligible for light therapy"

he's got his own at home I believe

"I think , but I'm sure , A friend of mine has this and he uses an ultraviolet light

You only get light therapy if you’re in the right area and if you’ve been referred to the skin department at the hospital. I think it’s 65% coverage to be eligible for light therapy

he's got his own at home I believe "

Ohhhh ok

Burslem

You can purchase the lamps specifically for psoriasis expensive though. Can use low strength uvb bulbs but without knowing precisely what you're getting and how you're using it can do more damage than good

"What do you use??"

I’ve tried so many treatments over the past few years.

Currently using the brand I recommended. Using their anti-itch balm, Udder moisturiser and the buttermilk cleansing bar.

My brother recommended it to me. He’s spent almost $50,000(Aus dollar) On treatments over the past 5 years, and this is the only thing that’s worked. He persevered with it and it paid off.

"You can purchase the lamps specifically for psoriasis expensive though. Can use low strength uvb bulbs but without knowing precisely what you're getting and how you're using it can do more damage than good"

Lamp I got was only £70 and looks like it works a treat for eczema so hopefully same for psoriasis

I’ve had it quite badly on my arms, stomach and thighs a few times. I was told to use sunbeds short term and the difference it made was unbelievable. I feel for you as it’s so uncomfortable

"What do you use??

I’ve tried so many treatments over the past few years.

Currently using the brand I recommended. Using their anti-itch balm, Udder moisturiser and the buttermilk cleansing bar.

My brother recommended it to me. He’s spent almost $50,000(Aus dollar) On treatments over the past 5 years, and this is the only thing that’s worked. He persevered with it and it paid off. "

I’ll try them ... thanks lovely

"It’s a fucking curse. My tummy, back and legs are destroyed with it at the moment.

Have you tried something called MooGoo? It’s brilliant! I use the balm, moisturiser and both the shampoo and conditioner.

Have you tried an ifra red lamp mate, I bought one for arthritis of wrist and daughter who had slight eczema, similar to what you have and has worked miracles on her "

It didn’t do anything for me. I tried.

"I’ve had it quite badly on my arms, stomach and thighs a few times. I was told to use sunbeds short term and the difference it made was unbelievable. I feel for you as it’s so uncomfortable "

Yep sun beds short term for vitamin d to dry out then infra red or uv lamps, plus steroid cream, can’t remember it’s name

Used to use camomile drops from health shops, added to my water as it soothed and healed me a lot better than the prescription emollients, and mixed it directly with a minimal amount of water to rub to the skin afterwards. Sometimes mixed it with plain cream for sensitive skin.

Helped loads xx

I've got it on my elbow, kept thinking it was excema or contact dermitus but a few days ago i realised what it was as i recognised it from when my child had it.

I had been using a prescription moisturising cream but it's done nothing for it.

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

Recently developed this: have patches on my neck, right shoulder, small of back and underside left arm. The arm itches like fuck.

Shower and grease up with zeroderm ointment, doesn't really do much good but the rest of my skin in silky smooth!

Burslem

"Recently developed this: have patches on my neck, right shoulder, small of back and underside left arm. The arm itches like fuck.

Shower and grease up with zeroderm ointment, doesn't really do much good but the rest of my skin in silky smooth!"

Psoriasis is over growth of skin cells, have to remove the patches gently to gain any effect of creams and ointments. It's different to excema as that's normal skin cell production that dries out. Severe psoriasis needs a lot of maintenance, exfoliating to get the excessive skin layers off. The sunlight and vitamin d brings cell production under control and other things reduce cell production which is why you shouldn't get it on normal skin areas as it thins it. The medications to slow it down also mean can't go in the sun too much risk of skin cancer increases. Which is ironic as sun helps regulate cell production.

Worst part for me is my lips the effect it has they peel and I'm a buggar for pulling them off splitting my lip open. The more balm I use the worse it gets as it's nourishing the over production. It's a horrid balance

By *ssex_tomMan  over a year ago

Chelmsford

It's an old remedy but coal tar bandages were amazing for me

By *imon_hydeMan  over a year ago

Stockport

Yeah I get it, it flares up at random intervals usually if I'm stressed. I'm using Palmer's Raw Shea at the moment, keeps my skin nicely moisturised as well as smelling pretty good. Like others have said sunbeds really help, nothing beats a week away in the sun either.

I used to be paranoid about it, but as I've got older I care less and less about what others think x

By *edoriartyCouple  over a year ago

Peterborough

I have it and definitely know that stress and alcohol are my triggers.

I've bought a little UV lamp after having light therapy on the NHS last year. I find that holidays in the sunshine and simply aveeno moisturiser works best for me.

Red

i have it on my hands/arms quite badly.. usually not a bother at all in the warmer months. But over winter where its cold/wet/windy, it's so bad... Which doesn't help as I spend hours outdoors every single day!

currently at its worst right now, cracking and everything.. Very painful. makes me so fucking self conscious it's unreal

Will definitely be looking into your recommendation OP, thank you! I seem to have tried every lotion and potion going, and I'm still a Scaley Sue

"It's an old remedy but coal tar bandages were amazing for me "

when my allergies condition flare up, it also flares my psoriasis.. I've been hospitalised a few times, and had zinc oxide bandages.. Genuinely looked like a mummy!

Not heard of coal ones before! X

This is actually reassuring to know there’s a few of us with it

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"I have it mainly scalp polytar shampoo works but it stinks rotten. And when I get out the shower or bath no matter how much exfoliating I peel when I dry and too much exfoliating is sore and end up worse than if I didn't

Basically it's wait till spring and vitamins with as much sunlight as possible."

the problem with the tar shampoo is that is can be so corse it actually has the opposite effect.... for example it basically ended up in effect burning my scalp....

the problem with the whole bloody condition is no one people react to same....

so for me.... what works is aloe vera....

so either get a plant and grow your own (you can cut a bit off.. it grows quickly back!)

or holland and barrett do a fantastic 100% aloe vera gel that you can basically use as a moisteriser.. or a shampoo on your head..

and its alway in the bogofs or penny sales they do... so getting in double

By *octor DeleriumMan  over a year ago

Bristol

"This is actually reassuring to know there’s a few of us with it "

Psoriasis is one of the commonest acquired skin conditions and affects between 1 and 3% of the population. It can occur at any age although it's generally a disease of adults with two peaks of incidence at 20-30 years and 50-60 years.

Around 10-15% of new cases begin in children younger than 10 years.

Interestingly the UK prevalence increased from 2.3% (2,297 cases per 100,000) in 1999 to 2.8% (2,815 per 100,000) in 2013.

It's more common in younger females (under 40) but the incidence is roughly the same in males and females over 40 years. Its rarely life threatening but the condition has been linked to development of metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular/cerebrovascular disease, and it consistently scores negatively on quality of life indices and anxiety/depression ratings at a level equal to those of cancer and heart disease.

Identified triggers and precipitating factors:

Physical or emotional stress

Infections:

- bacterial (streptococcal sore throat in guttate psoriasis)

- fungal (candida in flexural psoriasis)

Trauma (Koebner phenomenon with psoriasis appearing on injury sites)

Medication (lithium, beta-blockers, antimalarials, abrupt withdrawal of systemic steroids)

UV light (although in most cases this can be beneficial)

Alcohol

Smoking

If you want a precis of the current options regarding management, drop me a PM as I can't sent direct mail to most of you.

Burslem

the problem with the tar shampoo is that is can be so corse it actually has the opposite effect.... for example it basically ended up in effect burning my scalp....

so either get a plant and grow your own (you can cut a bit off.. it grows quickly back!)

or holland and barrett do a fantastic 100% aloe vera gel that you can basically use as a moisteriser.. or a shampoo on your head..

and its alway in the bogofs or penny sales they do... so getting in double"

Aloe Vera works great for many things it's an effective medicinal plant from burns to skin issues it aids healing because of the vitamins and it's antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal. Much like honey.

"i have it on my hands/arms quite badly.. usually not a bother at all in the warmer months. But over winter where its cold/wet/windy, it's so bad... Which doesn't help as I spend hours outdoors every single day!

currently at its worst right now, cracking and everything.. Very painful. makes me so fucking self conscious it's unreal

Will definitely be looking into your recommendation OP, thank you! I seem to have tried every lotion and potion going, and I'm still a Scaley Sue "

You’re welcome! Have a look on their website, there’s lots of products on there.

Mine is at its worst ever right now too.

By *lymanMan  over a year ago

PLYMOUTH

30 sessions of uv has helped me but totally understand it does get you down x

Hi i have this on my knees and elbows behind my ears and a little bit on my cock and ballsac.

i use dead sea salt in the bath i cup 1/4 cup of coconut oil and sanex bath products every two days.

I make my own Kefir both water Kefir and milk Kefir 1 vitamin d tablet

Ecover washing up ecover clothes and fabric conditioner .

It has gone from my elbows my knees are nearly clear when i went camping for 3 weeks and could not bath it all cam back itchy scaley but when i got back home and could bath it did not take long to back back under control

Scalp, right shin and sometimes chin, round nips and belly with the odd patch on my back.

I love the smell of polytar, smells like creosote but you're so right about hair colour strippage. I tend to just change normal shampoo regularly.

Mine doesn't come up too badly and I don't get that flaky but my sister gets it terrible and was referred to the hospital for sunbed treatments.

P

and its alway in the bogofs or penny sales they do... so getting in double"

I’m going to pop in today

By *he Devils Daughter!Woman  over a year ago

some where in yorkshire

I have it really really bad on my back , legs bum n patches in arms n tum hence why I’ve stopped meeting and haven’t for a very long time as I’m so self conscious n embarrassed by it and it makes me feel anxious. I was on ciclosoprin tablets for it which was brill proper cleared it all up for the first time in years but unfortunately it damaged my liver n kidney function so had to come off them for a year and it made it come back worse than ever which has got me down lately I just feel like no man would want to go near me looking like this.Its currently really itchy so doc has put me on some antihistamines to try and ease it, I have tried loads of moisturisers for it and nothing really seems to work uurrhh damn skin condition, I really feel for anyone else who suffers from psoriasis x

I had it on both my shins for a few years , I started having baths with a few capfuls of dettol , they have now gone , coincidence , maybe but it's worked for me

By *DreamOfGenieWoman  over a year ago

London

I get patches of it sporadically, usually stress related and more often in winter - it was much worse when I was a kid though.

As well as the usual steroid creams and derm lotions, the biggest difference for me has been taking Vitamin D every day. Clearly I need to move to warmer climate!

"I had it on both my shins for a few years , I started having baths with a few capfuls of dettol , they have now gone , coincidence , maybe but it's worked for me "

My mum used to swear by it

My brother has it. Says goats milk is good for it. And vaseline also works well.

I'll ask him what else he uses next time I see him

By *nto My ArmsMan  over a year ago

Herts/London

"I had it on both my shins for a few years , I started having baths with a few capfuls of dettol , they have now gone , coincidence , maybe but it's worked for me "

I had that. Avoided washing them with detergent and moisturised with cocoa butter and it soon cleared up.

Vitamin e cream made it way worse.

"My brother has it. Says goats milk is good for it. And vaseline also works well.

I'll ask him what else he uses next time I see him"

I’ve used goats milk soap/cleansers.

I’ve currently switched from cows milk to goats milk.

It’s probably the worst it’s ever been over the past month or so.

some where in yorkshire

"My brother has it. Says goats milk is good for it. And vaseline also works well.

I'll ask him what else he uses next time I see him

I’ve used goats milk soap/cleansers.

I’ve currently switched from cows milk to goats milk.

It’s probably the worst it’s ever been over the past month or so. "

I went gluten free for a few months as someone suggested that may work made it worse , I also stopped using cows milk and used coconut milk n that didn’t do a damn thing either I’ve tried everything had the light therapy at hospital which worked but the most ute u stop it it just comes back with a vengeance, I wish they could find a cure for it!

By *elle xWoman  over a year ago

Doire Theas

Moogoo is amazing only thing that worked for eczema x

I’m not sure if it is related, but I’ll say it anyway!

When I was a child, I used to suffer really badly with eczema. I was always told I would grow out of it when I became an adult, but it actually became worse. I would wake up scratching myself raw, blood over the sheets etc. Tried every cream on the market, bandages etc, nothing worked.

I was told by a relative that it could be linked to preservatives in soft drinks - which interestingly I used to drink in copious quantities. As an experiment, I completely stopped drinking soft drinks for three months. That was 25 years ago, and I have never had a skin problem since

The specific preservatives I avoid is sodium benzoate and potassium benzoate.

Hope this helps somebody

By *randMrsPCouple  over a year ago

Nr Salisbury

Tried loads of different creams, on and off prescription. Been to see a consultant dermatologist privately. More very expensive creams. No real success.

THEN, a mate from work recommended Enstilar spray. It's prescription only but asked my GP and he prescribed it. It's like a cream but in a spray. Think that spray snow stuff. It doesn't smell and is absorbed really well. I kid you not, for me it's a life saver. 2-3 weeks my patches have disappeared and you can barely feel them. Just a faint red patch. Happy to send anyone a pic of the tin so you can ask your GP. Mr P x

Never use soap just use aqueous cream (you can shower, shave and shampoo in it). If it flares cortisone. And don’t stop using the aqueous cream and never use anything else. Watch dairy, gluten and alcohol intake too

some where in yorkshire

"Tried loads of different creams, on and off prescription. Been to see a consultant dermatologist privately. More very expensive creams. No real success.

THEN, a mate from work recommended Enstilar spray. It's prescription only but asked my GP and he prescribed it. It's like a cream but in a spray. Think that spray snow stuff. It doesn't smell and is absorbed really well. I kid you not, for me it's a life saver. 2-3 weeks my patches have disappeared and you can barely feel them. Just a faint red patch. Happy to send anyone a pic of the tin so you can ask your GP. Mr P x"

I use this on my arms and it does keep them smooth n faded at times it is good stuff , shame I can’t use it on my back.

I'm lucky enough to only suffer when I am really stressed, and even then it's usually only a small part of my body.

The only thing which is constantly itchy is my head. I use Philip Kingsley - Flaky/Itchy Scalp Shampoo, but it only helps a little so I might give MooGoo a go.

Nr Salisbury

"Tried loads of different creams, on and off prescription. Been to see a consultant dermatologist privately. More very expensive creams. No real success.

THEN, a mate from work recommended Enstilar spray. It's prescription only but asked my GP and he prescribed it. It's like a cream but in a spray. Think that spray snow stuff. It doesn't smell and is absorbed really well. I kid you not, for me it's a life saver. 2-3 weeks my patches have disappeared and you can barely feel them. Just a faint red patch. Happy to send anyone a pic of the tin so you can ask your GP. Mr P x

I use this on my arms and it does keep them smooth n faded at times it is good stuff , shame I can’t use it on my back. "

Why cant you use it on your back?

some where in yorkshire

I use this on my arms and it does keep them smooth n faded at times it is good stuff , shame I can’t use it on my back.

Why cant you use it on your back? "

there’s far too much of it on my back and also can’t spray it all over my back myself!

My hands and arms looked like I had burnt them severely as my skin was so raw and swollen, the itch was insane. I tried all sorts that the doctors and friends told me, everything just made my skin burn. Then it seemed to magically clear up. Looking back at what I was using, I believe it was down to a coffee and cocunut body scrub I paid £2.99 for. My hands and arms have been clear for a year.

However I now have new patches and I can't get hold of the scrub but stress is making it worse, all around my eyes and lips are where it's really getting to me. My ears are drivng me insane but least I can cover my arms

"I remember listening to a radio show many years ago a chap talking about this he was an alternative medicine practitioner.

But he said he had lot's of success advising people to stop everything dairy for a month and seeing how it is after this.

Guess it can't do any harm ?

But as I really know feck all about it other than isn't it a form of arthritis??

Or am I wildly wrong?

"

My oh has psoriasis pretty bad and has tried the no dairy for over a year it did nothing at all

THEN, a mate from work recommended Enstilar spray. It's prescription only but asked my GP and he prescribed it. It's like a cream but in a spray. Think that spray snow stuff. It doesn't smell and is absorbed really well. I kid you not, for me it's a life saver. 2-3 weeks my patches have disappeared and you can barely feel them. Just a faint red patch. Happy to send anyone a pic of the tin so you can ask your GP. Mr P x"

Can i have a pic of the tin please

GP always gives me steroid cream and it always works, but it's not for everyone as its strong x

I have it on my scalp though its not been bad for ages, for those using polytar, ask for CAPASAL instead, doesn't smell as bad, it's thicker so you don't use as much and imo it works better.

By *inchjMan  over a year ago

Manchester

Have a patcb of it over my shin, just cannot get rid of it so will be reading the responses with interest myself. Thanks for the post.

Nr Salisbury

Can i have a pic of the tin please "

Can't message you.

some where in yorkshire

Can i have a pic of the tin please

Can't message you. "

. I have enstillar n can send u pic of the can x

I use Betamethasone ointment when the psoriasis flares up on my legs. Works quite well.

Hydrocortisone creme for the eczema on my face and ears isn’t quite so good. Makes arranging meets difficult. Anyone want to snog me whilst I’ve got skin flaking off of my top lip, chin, and eyebrows?

Making notes on what other people are using

By *untimes6969Man  over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

I’ve had psoriasis for many years, it comes and goes - holiday sun, the sea and relaxation seem to work the best!

Had UVB light treatment years ago on a flair, it certainly works plus dithrocream which burnt / stained the skin (plus everything else!!

Having used dovobet (calcipotrial) for quite a while plus using a Philips Blue Light device (small uv light) is good for keeping things at bay. I only have one plaque on my lower leg and the normal knees and elbows which is very mild.

Looking at Vitamin D Research, a friend of mine is using it for depression issues but it also makes sense for skin sufferers to as generally the sun helps! In these ‘winter’ months, from my experience my skin gets worse so common sense suggests addressing the basics! I’m going to order a blood test, to get a base line then start to take vitamin D3 - step it up to see what happens. I’ll report back if any success.

I be tried different diet, numerous creams - GP plus off the shelf, may work for a while but generally stays the same!

One thing with any of the creams, remove the plaques first, gently - soak in the bath and rub the excess skin off then apply. I’ve wrapped my skin up in cling film, keeps it moist and this certainly helps - especially if it’s angry and cracked etc. Take your time and find what works for you!!

Just so u you I know, you can get psoriatic arthritis - it’s quite common and a know link! The medication for the arthritis can help the psoriasis- keep posting and help each other out!!

» Add a new message to this topic