FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Being structural homeless.

Being structural homeless.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I watched an interesting program about it of how swedens homlessness is on the increase and that there is now a new term for this kind and that is being structural homeless, it means they dont live on the street but live in temporary homes were they can be for a week at a time sometimes longer, they have money but there is no properties on the market and nothing is being build to support the growing problem, have uk the same problem and have you heard of this new term before? I havent, but I hope they can fix it soon by building more there.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *etLikeMan  over a year ago

most fundamental aspects

I vaguely recall it from a conference but it’s not a phrase I would use here (Scotland)

The phrase to describe anyone without a permanent home or in a home that’s not suitable according to a number of parameters is: No security of tenure = technically homeless

That can apply to sofa surfing but also to those without a proper rental agreement, which is very common

"I vaguely recall it from a conference but it’s not a phrase I would use here (Scotland)

The phrase to describe anyone without a permanent home or in a home that’s not suitable according to a number of parameters is: No security of tenure = technically homeless

That can apply to sofa surfing but also to those without a proper rental agreement, which is very common"

That is right too and yes I have heard of sofa surfing too.

"I vaguely recall it from a conference but it’s not a phrase I would use here (Scotland)

That can apply to sofa surfing but also to those without a proper rental agreement, which is very commonThat is right too and yes I have heard of sofa surfing too."

Sofa surfing is yes also used to describe the same kind of problems as well.

By *essie.Woman  over a year ago

Serendipity

Do you mean they don’t have a long term tenancy ?

There are a lot of hidden homeless in the UK, living with friends and family. Often sofa surfing. Not included in the statistics for homelessness.

Also more and more living in temporary accommodation and bed and breakfasts for a long time before being rehoused.

Blame Maggie for introducing the Right to Buy and for the crap rules around it. You can buy your council home one day, rent it out straight away. You can also be on benefit to pay the rent the whole time you live there, still get the full discounts. Complete madness.

"Do you mean they don’t have a long term tenancy ?

There are a lot of hidden homeless in the UK, living with friends and family. Often sofa surfing. Not included in the statistics for homelessness.

Also more and more living in temporary accommodation and bed and breakfasts for a long time before being rehoused.

Blame Maggie for introducing the Right to Buy and for the crap rules around it. You can buy your council home one day, rent it out straight away. You can also be on benefit to pay the rent the whole time you live there, still get the full discounts. Complete madness. "

That is right, they dont have long term contract only short terms and some live in "vandrar hem" like hostels and to receive money from the state some have to look for 20 homes a day, they followed a family on the program I watched, it was pretty sad, he was a dad with 2 kids and on that hostel they had weekly contracts and every thursday they had to move out and then back in the same day.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

its all well and good blaming Maggie etc, but the main problem is that there is to many of us, and not enough homes to go around, until we learn to control population, this problem will just get worse, there is only so much land to build houses on

By *abrielleroselaceyTV/TS  over a year ago

Manchester

the real problem is not there aren't enough homes, it is that there aren't enough affordable homes.

Around here in Manchester there are hundreds of new apartments and houses being built but you are not likely to get anything under £250k and more likely to be having to find £300k + for a one bed place

"the real problem is not there aren't enough homes, it is that there aren't enough affordable homes.

Around here in Manchester there are hundreds of new apartments and houses being built but you are not likely to get anything under £250k and more likely to be having to find £300k + for a one bed place"

thats also true, problem is, how do you make them more affordable?

By *etLikeMan  over a year ago

most fundamental aspects

"the real problem is not there aren't enough homes, it is that there aren't enough affordable homes.

Around here in Manchester there are hundreds of new apartments and houses being built but you are not likely to get anything under £250k and more likely to be having to find £300k + for a one bed place

thats also true, problem is, how do you make them more affordable?"

Well this is a sensitive issue. It’s something I raised at a conference and the panel became noticeably uncomfortable at my question / proposal so I understand if it makes people here uneasy.

Grenfell and other high profile fires led to a lot of knee jerk reactions by planners. This meant that builders (and social landlords) will build up to their budget for “conventional” properties. The problem with that is NOT that I want to see builders or planning authorities cut corners but to not be scared of non conventional buildings.

In towns and cities this could include using shipping containers (still to building control and not looking like a ghetto) or in the countryside, things like straw bale (which are more fire resistant than conventional builds believe it or not).

More help for housing cooperatives where people get together to build.

Incentives for small builders to level the playing field with large house builders.

If large house builders flaunt “planning gain” rules, don’t make local authorities have to give up taking legal action against them because of legal costs. Quite simply, if you say you’re going to build a school or a feeder road and don’t do it to agreed timeframe, you may not build any other homes in that local authority area.

I’ve gone on more than intended. There’s lots of solutions available but those with the power are either scared, corrupt or have no vision

Plenty of empty over priced penthouses in London though, all sitting there propping up the value of some rich overseas investors portfolio & who'd rather maintain the value of his assets than lower rents so people who worked & kept this city alive could actually afford to live here!

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I'm hoping that many systems that displace housing stock away from locals are controlled more, as the costs of a dwindling resource gets inflated for everyone else. This includes airbnb and similar, expensive homes sold overseas and left empty with builders not providing adequate affordable homes and more.

We need to increase our housing stock for the current residents, never mind the immigrants that the conservatives are now inviting in, when everyone should be housed.

thats also true, problem is, how do you make them more affordable?"

The problem round here is developments near stations (mainline in to kings cross), there are empty factories being turned in to 'luxury flats' on the basis they have parking and are walking distance to the station. Landlords buy them as rental opportunities, people paying london rents think they are a bargain and other local landlords think kerching and put their rents up to. Fuck all in the way of affordable housing and most of the property going to landlords.

The prices are inflated thanks to london rental values. The obvious solution is a condition in the planning permission limiting the opportunity to buy to let.

» Add a new message to this topic