FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Mobile Web App feedback > How accurate is the 'Who is Nearby' ?

How accurate is the 'Who is Nearby' ?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Pretty much as the title suggests..

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *heRainManMan  over a year ago

Warrington & Glasgow

Depends how you define accurate...

The closest proximity it shows is 'within half a mile'.

If you DO mean accuracy, then as long as both phones are accurately passing their locations to Fab, then it'll be accurate.

Warrington & Glasgow

Correction:

"The closest proximity it shows is 'within quarter mile'."

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It gives the "as the crow flies" distance. You will have to travel further .......

"Depends how you define accurate...

If you DO mean accuracy, then as long as both phones are accurately passing their locations to Fab, then it'll be accurate."

IdwthswyoatbagpiteoohIfypiapwm

Warrington & Glasgow

"IdwthswyoatbagpiteoohIfypiapwm"

By *iss SJWoman  over a year ago

Hull

Last week my friend and I were sat next to each other and his said I was 20 miles away and mine said he was 30 miles away.

I find it quite confusing tbh.. I can use 'Who is Nearby' and see folks within a few miles, yet their profile location is miles away.

And yet I've seen folks that live in the same town (and I do live in a small town) be miles away according to 'Who is Nearby'

"I find it quite confusing tbh.. I can use 'Who is Nearby' and see folks within a few miles, yet their profile location is miles away.

And yet I've seen folks that live in the same town (and I do live in a small town) be miles away according to 'Who is Nearby'"

I so hope you are joking

Warrington & Glasgow

Don't forget that Who's Near uses the GPS location of your phone, compared to the GPS location of their phone, rather than the (possibly deliberately inaccurate) Postcode location from profiles.

So when I was in Barnstaple a few weeks ago on business, I'd have shown as being within 15 miles, but the distance on my profile would still show as 200-ish.

By *iss SJWoman  over a year ago

Hull

"Don't forget that Who's Near uses the GPS location of your phone, compared to the GPS location of their phone, rather than the (possibly deliberately inaccurate) Postcode location from profiles.

So when I was in Barnstaple a few weeks ago on business, I'd have shown as being within 15 miles, but the distance on my profile would still show as 200-ish."

Ahhhh that helps explain it

We've had a 'withing touching distance' which was a bit of a shock considering our location at the time, though it's usually withing half a mile.

"Depends how you define accurate...

If you DO mean accuracy, then as long as both phones are accurately passing their locations to Fab, then it'll be accurate."

I have had people show up as "5 mins walk away" and even "3 mins walk away" yet when I look at their profile pictures, I don't recognise them as people who live near me at all!!!

"

I have had people show up as "5 mins walk away" and even "3 mins walk away" yet when I look at their profile pictures, I don't recognise them as people who live near me at all!!! "

Although to be fair, I bet it's quite hard to recognise someone from just body parts

By *ourlauraTV/TS  over a year ago

tidworth

I thought it was "touching distance" or that might be fab guys but I've seen, in fact I've had meets if it

We used it in playa de ingles

Said lots within quarter of a mile

Guess what !

They were right

By *unlovers70Couple  over a year ago

Overseas

I think it's pretty accurate as we are in SE Asia and most of you are over 6000 miles away

No one seems to take much notice to the one on your profile though as still get so many messages asking whether we're up for a meet today lol

By *taffs_hotwifeCouple  over a year ago

Sth Staffs

Always worked fine for us. I have a single fem profile and when I look at both it always says within a quarter of a mile.

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman  over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

"I find it quite confusing tbh.. I can use 'Who is Nearby' and see folks within a few miles, yet their profile location is miles away.

And yet I've seen folks that live in the same town (and I do live in a small town) be miles away according to 'Who is Nearby'"

I'm currently showing as 200+ from my profile location.

People do travel, go on holiday, visit family!

By *lorious hole bs16Man  over a year ago

Bristol

"Correction:

The closest proximity it shows is 'within quarter mile'."

Interesting..mine says within a quarter of a mile.. One day I looked to find my next door neighbour on there..

By *aydee65Man  over a year ago

Near Merthyr

"Last week my friend and I were sat next to each other and his said I was 20 miles away and mine said he was 30 miles away. "

It depends if you have the 'location' switched on on your phone otherwise it goes by the postcode you give when you set up your account. I have seen people with postcodes that are 20 miles away show up regularly as within a mile. Just trying to preserve their anonymity I guess.

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Lets try it out. Any hot horny women want to come and sit in our back garden.

We can both put on see who's near if we are close I'll wink you.

Then if you want we can shaaaaaaagg.

Boink !

My location only works if I access fab through chrome so I usually have my location close to work rather than home.

I've met a few people at work through fab and the closest distance I've seen in 1/4 mile.

By *etterryseeMan  over a year ago

near Swindon

I think it is better when using wifi rather than 3G etc. No idea why!

There was someone within touching distance in my hotel room the other week, I checked the bathroom and wardrobe

By *uited staffs guyMan  over a year ago

staffordshire

I've been campaigning to introduce it into a Pokémon go type setting so you can walk around and see fellow fabbers

By *eldomVanillaMan  over a year ago

London

It's quite accurate

Worrinfly so I had 2 people within touching distance today. One 2 minute walk etc

I was suspiciously looking around for other people being very secretive on there phone haha !!

Warrington & Glasgow

"within touching distance today."
Testing this now, with friends in the same room, we're only getting within a mile, but I've never seen that!

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It's better if it's not stating information too clearly as some people could become very vulnerable. It can be hard enough with stalkers for some as it is. If you live in the countryside, it can become too easy to work out which neighbors or staff are on fab.

You can also have your browser ask you to agree or not, each time fab and other sites ask for your location.

it seems accurate...although I know I can be in a location with GPS in on see who's near....turn GPS off and travel anywhere else and still see whos near at where i was...list is live but won't change to where I am until GPS is turned back on and picked up...so maybe I'm also still showing up where I last was to others.

Warrington & Glasgow

I think others will still see you as being in old location.

This could be :

a) your phone "being helpful" and passing your last known location to your browser, if it doesn't have a current GPS location.

b)your browser not getting a location from your phone, but "being helpful" by providing Fab with the last known location.

If you turn Who's near off & back on, is the location, shown at the bottom of the page, your current one or the old one?

i never see a location shown at the bottom...its handy to go to the city....see who near then go home and still see who's in the city though...or not if ye prefer...my point was just see who's near is dead accurate but a lot of people mightn't actually be in the location they say they are anymore...they might've been there days ago and just still on that positions list....still all good though...I like the who's near feature....its great.

Warrington & Glasgow

"i never see a location shown at the bottom..."
Odd, after a little while, I either get my location displayed or the "Your phone couldn't give us your current location." message.

i do get the current location error the odd time if the GPS signal is bad but no never see it saying where I am...I have a shit phone though.

By *uerido55Man  over a year ago

Manchester

"I think it's pretty accurate as we are in SE Asia and most of you are over 6000 miles away

No one seems to take much notice to the one on your profile though as still get so many messages asking whether we're up for a meet today lol"

So if you want the meet you'd better get your skates on then!

By *ewisbi76Man  over a year ago

west edinburgh

If you have 'who's near' switched on you get two distance results. One based on the postcode of your(and their) profile (shown as an 'earth'and a house) and a gps result (shown as a mobile phone and an earth) if both on mobile.

If who's near is switched off i believe you get results based on your postcode no matter where you are.

Gps isnt very accurate if you are indoors. If you are outdoors and moving its better. Even then google has learned my 'home' and 'work' locations and they are all out by a few buildings.

that's interesting....I don't get any results unless who's near is on I thought...it says no results..turn on who's near...then you get results...if it can't find your location or you have turned off in your phone it seems to stay on your last known place.

Warrington & Glasgow

"If you have 'who's near' switched on you get two distance results."
That's looking at a profile, not when you look at Who's Near.

By *ebbie360TV/TS  over a year ago

huntingdon

I've had within touching distance when i was in the office at work. And it was dead accurate. He is in the same office a few yards away.

Interesting thread...

Never needed to use this feature, but may have to try it sometime.

I'd say it's accurate.

I was on holiday last month and got a few messages whilst there from locals and holiday makers.

By *taffs_hotwifeCouple  over a year ago

Sth Staffs

Definitely accurate. I'm perving at all you lovely black guys and couples all within a quarter of a mile of me at Xtasia.

By *allfithung7Man  over a year ago

kingscross

yes pritty good but makes me laugh when people say they are in Spain and locations say 5 mile awat but I guess its good to out bullshitter x

Absolutely off the ricter scale

By *lik and PaulCouple  over a year ago

Flagrante

Pretty accurate as we have met fellow fabbers out and about using it.

By *otwife90Couple  over a year ago

leeds

Is anyone having issues with this as we both have the app on our phones but "see who's near" keeps turning itself on, even after we have both turned it off??

Warrington & Glasgow

No.

By *ringles0510Woman  over a year ago

Central Borders

If people don't have it "activated" it will just show the distance to their home postcode, even though they might be at the other side of the country.

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

The feature will only work properly if people are on mobile and have GPS switched on.

I've found that sometimes when using WiFi, that my location is reported as being 50-60miles away.

By *ighland gentlemanMan  over a year ago

Tain

Am not so keen on the fact that it uses as the crow flies distances.

Due to the geography up here it means that I regularly get folk showing up as about 20 to 30 miles away when in reality they are nearer 60 to 70 by road!

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

"Am not so keen on the fact that it uses as the crow flies distances.

Due to the geography up here it means that I regularly get folk showing up as about 20 to 30 miles away when in reality they are nearer 60 to 70 by road! "

It would be VERY difficult (and slow) to run everyone through a "Route planner" to work out a realistic distance though.

For accurate results, clear the cache on your mobile browser and sign back in. If location is switched on then you'll show up where you currently stand.

Mine pings between where I live and Brighton a lot, though location spoofer apps are pretty handy to use as well when "looking ahead"...

Saying that, use the private / incognito browser for logging into fab. Everytime you close the browser, it automatically clears the cache for incognito mode but doesn't affect the regular cache on your browser. Saves having to log back into every website!

By *ilent_runningMan  over a year ago

Bournemouth, Notts & Spain

Due to the geography up here it means that I regularly get folk showing up as about 20 to 30 miles away when in reality they are nearer 60 to 70 by road!

It would be VERY difficult (and slow) to run everyone through a "Route planner" to work out a realistic distance though."

Not at all..Google has a nice 'Directions API' for both iOS and Android. Yes there's a minimal charge, so maybe only site supporters?

My main gripe is when the other fabber is on another island. Happens frequently when in the Canaries....

By *ireupthequattroCouple  over a year ago

Stratford

We did a search in Gran canaria and the couple closest to us was sat on the next table at the same time as they were searching they looked round to find us laughing , so off to the club we all went

By *ab_SparklesWoman  over a year ago

sparkle Surprised

I was in a carpark over the weekend and got chatting . they were three cars up, but cause so dark I went to the wrong car and ended up chatting to a nice polite transgender or cross dress I didn't ask. So it is pretty good

I like to use it when staying away overnight, works fine to pick up fun. The funniest was on our last holiday showed a nice profile 1 mile away so sent a message , reply was yes just passing on a cruise liner.

By *aughtywifeandhimCouple  over a year ago

luton

Yes as said above .the closes it gives is within a quater of a mile .have tested it with two people from this site who work near me .we have met both but only played with one .standing beside each other at work it say within a quater

luton

[Removed by poster at 11/10/17 11:29:39]

luton

It would be VERY difficult (and slow) to run everyone through a "Route planner" to work out a realistic distance though.

Not at all..Google has a nice 'Directions API' for both iOS and Android. Yes there's a minimal charge, so maybe only site supporters?

My main gripe is when the other fabber is on another island. Happens frequently when in the Canaries...."

luton

Happens in greece too

"Happens in greece too "

Yes we well know when we are sailing from Corfu we pick up Paxos and mainland Greece, but saying that we have met other user on holiday.

By *ouise HartleyTV/TS  over a year ago

the street of failed artists Liverpool

"Correction:

The closest proximity it shows is 'within quarter mile'."

I’ve had “touching distance” show on that page

"I like to use it when staying away overnight, works fine to pick up fun. The funniest was on our last holiday showed a nice profile 1 mile away so sent a message , reply was yes just passing on a cruise liner. "
that could be fun if flying from London to Manchester lol

» Add a new message to this topic