FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > New Zealand > Touring both Islands

Touring both Islands

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *orthwest_cpl OP   Couple  over a year ago

Stretford

We are touring N & S Islands from mid Oct to mid Dec. Any tips on what we shouldn't miss that aren't in the guidebooks would be welcome. Even more welcome would be any offers of fun on our journey.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 17/09/14 01:50:12]

"We are touring N & S Islands from mid Oct to mid Dec. Any tips on what we shouldn't miss that aren't in the guidebooks would be welcome. Even more welcome would be any offers of fun on our journey."

do a helicopter ride over the glacier - frans joseph x spectacular x

the cook straight is said to be notorious but we did it twice x

on the north island theres a place called wangunui x on a river x great site if you are in a camper x

not sure if there is a swing scene there x

enjoy x

Doubtful sound is a must see and tip of north island 90mile beach and beach about 10k north of katiea on right amazeballs x wish I was coming. .

I will be cycling South Island in November. Pm me if u want to try n meet up

Stretford

Thanks for all the ideas. We've got a few of them on the list already but it's good to hear from people that have done them.

The flight to/from nelson to Auckland is one of the best flights I've been on.

Do as much walking as possible

Jet boat rides, either Rapids Jet or Agrojet both on the North Island, miles better than Shotover

[Removed by poster at 03/10/14 05:58:20]

By *mm_n_ZedCouple  over a year ago

Fareham

Whale watching in Kaikoura, gold mining in Cromwell, walking up to the face of the Fox glacier, Rotorua in the north island - the list goes on and on

"Whale watching in Kaikoura, gold mining in Cromwell, walking up to the face of the Fox glacier, Rotorua in the north island - the list goes on and on "

dont forget the Yellow eyed Penguins near Dunedin

By *mm_n_ZedCouple  over a year ago

Fareham

"Whale watching in Kaikoura, gold mining in Cromwell, walking up to the face of the Fox glacier, Rotorua in the north island - the list goes on and on

dont forget the Yellow eyed Penguins near Dunedin "

We didn't go that far south. We cut down from Queenstown the the East coast and up to Christchurch.

Stretford

We've got most of those on the list thanks. We're staying near Curio Bay in the Catlins for a couple of nights so should see penguins there.

"We've got most of those on the list thanks. We're staying near Curio Bay in the Catlins for a couple of nights so should see penguins there. "

The Curio Bay penguins were awesome. I sat talking to one on the beach. His name was Steve.

I thought it was an unusual name for a penguin but hey ho!

By *easemetasteyouMan  over a year ago

camberley

sky dive over a lake to the south of queenstown is a must!!

Stretford

"The Curio Bay penguins were awesome. I sat talking to one on the beach. His name was Steve.

I thought it was an unusual name for a penguin but hey ho!"

We'll ask around and see if Steve's still there. Should we pass on a message?

We're not leaving a perfectly serviceable plane till it's safely on the ground thanks all the same.

"The Curio Bay penguins were awesome. I sat talking to one on the beach. His name was Steve.

"

You'll know Steve, he stands on the big rock near the nests as a lookout. Only moving to take a shit...

Stretford

"You'll know Steve, he stands on the big rock near the nests as a lookout. Only moving to take a shit..."

That smells a bit fishy ...

Anyway, if we see him what should we say?

Aww I'm sooo jealous, to me New Zealand is the most relaxed place ever!! South Island amazing, driving around every corner WOW WOW X Queenstown is a deffo, and Taupo in north island x but please take me with u!! ?????????? honestly a list of must see I could go on x

"WOW WOW X Queenstown is a deffo"

Queenstown? Really?

Went there for Hogmanay 2009, and it was just a boring wee town. Was like Alloa on a Saturday lunchtime, so quiet and boring!

I'd highly recommend a drive to the Corromandel region. It's only about 2 hours from Auckland and it's a gorgeous spot, I was there a few weeks ago.

I love NZ, easy going people and a stunning country. You'll have a great time

We're not leaving a perfectly serviceable plane till it's safely on the ground thanks all the same. "

Perfectly serviceable plane in NZ? First time to NZ, I see; BYO parachute!!

Okay, was just joking about the plane bit!

But if your flying in to Auckland first - I can tell you that the Pacific coast (east) from the very top, all the way down, including the Coromandel peninsula, to Gisbourne is the most spectacular coastal scenery I've ever seen - & eastern bay of plenty to the east cape is probably the highlight - & being of the beaten tourist track is a bonus!!

Then it's only a couple of hours to the central volcanic plateau, which is pretty amazing!

In the south island if you cross the Alps & head down the west coast it eventually takes you to Wanaka, Queenstown & on to Milford Sound.

The best drive I've done on the planet is from Te Anau to Milford Sound - mind blowing, as is all of Fiordland NP.

Hey, there's so much more to see with side trips, vineyards, Rotorua, etc... but NZ is a long skinny Country so, nothing is really too far from the above route.

I'm assuming that you're driving, of course & maybe you've already left the UK?? If so - ENJOY!!!

I lived & travelled extensively in NZ so, feel free to inbox me if you want any info!! TC x

Do the tongariro crossing. It's amazing. I did it in winter so to trek across snow capped terrain was awesome!

I spent 6 months travelling the north and south island. Feel free to PM me if you want any advice

Stretford

Thanks for all the advice. We're off on Monday, not looking forward to the journey but can't wait to arrive.

Hawkes Bay - North Island - wine country - amazing

By *urreyloverMan  over a year ago

Guildford

So jealous. Keep us posted on your itinerary. I loved climbing franz josef glacier. North of punakaki pancake rocks is a seal sanctuary. Personally I'd give trans alp railway a miss. Lots of swimming with dolphins, wish I'd done a whale watch. Rotorua and the waiotapu thermal wonderland and the lady knox geyser is spectacular. 90 mile beach and bay of islands. Coromandel is lovely so many nice beaches. I swam in pacific on xmas day cccold! Driving is a joy on the islands - so stress free.

By *ost SockMan  over a year ago

West Wales and Cardiff

Guys - I hate to hijack the OP's thread, but goes anyone have any ideas on the best options for travelling around if you are on your own?

I might have the chance to go there soon for 3-4 weeks. I can stay with friends some of the time, but I want to travel around around. I think hiring a car/van would be prohibitive cost wise.

I'm thinking of doing a budget bus trip - I'm older than the average backpacker, but I did similar in the States a couple of times and enjoyed it. I love camping and I don't need luxury!

OP - hope you're ok with me asking in your thread.

By *heffy14Man  over a year ago

slough

Just got back last Friday......if you are in or around Blenheim I can recommend Highlight wine tours. We did ours in a 1965 open top Mustang which cost about 250 quid but it means you get the whole day with the host and go places you can't on a bus trip.

Didn't rate Queenstown wish we'd have made the effort to get to Milford Sound instead.

Ask away. When u there. I'm actually stayin in Blenheim for a week. Might just try yir tour

"Guys - I hate to hijack the OP's thread, but goes anyone have any ideas on the best options for travelling around if you are on your own?

I might have the chance to go there soon for 3-4 weeks. I can stay with friends some of the time, but I want to travel around around. I think hiring a car/van would be prohibitive cost wise.

I'm thinking of doing a budget bus trip - I'm older than the average backpacker, but I did similar in the States a couple of times and enjoyed it. I love camping and I don't need luxury!

OP - hope you're ok with me asking in your thread. "

Buy a vehicle and sell when you leave. That's what I did years ago. Nz has to be seen independently, it's hard to get to some of the remote parts that truly make it so special. Good luck and enjoy

By *ost SockMan  over a year ago

West Wales and Cardiff

"Guys - I hate to hijack the OP's thread, but goes anyone have any ideas on the best options for travelling around if you are on your own?

OP - hope you're ok with me asking in your thread.

Buy a vehicle and sell when you leave. That's what I did years ago. Nz has to be seen independently, it's hard to get to some of the remote parts that truly make it so special. Good luck and enjoy"

Thanks - I've read that elsewhere recently. Will consider.

I wouldn't recommend buying a care if you're only going for 3 or 4 weeks, dude!

From experience a campervan can be very reasonable off-season (peak is mid Dec till the end of Jan) so, there's a lot of campers parked up for the rest of the year, - check online!

Enjoy!

» Add a new message to this topic