FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Furlough payments..

Furlough payments..

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *lem-H-Fandango OP   Man  over a year ago

salisbury

Seemed to go smoothly. Haven't seen much on the news congratulating the government though.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *uietbloke67Man  over a year ago

outside your bedroom window ;-)

Lol..and the alternative was?

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

I've got a furloughed friend. Gets 80% of his wages, but taking out his travel and incidental work expenses, is only a few pounds worse off.

Doesn't want to to work now!

"I've got a furloughed friend. Gets 80% of his wages, but taking out his travel and incidental work expenses, is only a few pounds worse off.

Doesn't want to to work now! "

Perhaps if he was paid more in the first place it wouldn't be an issue, or does that angle not make sense to you.

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

"Lol..and the alternative was?"
singing on the dole.furlough is till end of june my guess is if your not back at work by then you will have to claim benefits.im pretty sure i gona be made redundant as cant see my cimpany doing any trade till airports return to normal and that aint gona happen anytime soon.so redundancy and the dole office for me i reakon

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"I've got a furloughed friend. Gets 80% of his wages, but taking out his travel and incidental work expenses, is only a few pounds worse off.

Perhaps if he was paid more in the first place it wouldn't be an issue, or does that angle not make sense to you."

Maybe his company pays what it can afford and the job would not exist if they had to pay more.Ever considered looking it at that angle?

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

Doesn't want to to work now! "

yea its worked out im not as worse off as i thought i would be as didnt have fares and other bits to pay out while im sat at home

Perhaps if he was paid more in the first place it wouldn't be an issue, or does that angle not make sense to you.Maybe his company pays what it can afford and the job would not exist if they had to pay more.Ever considered looking it at that angle? "

Maybe his company pays into an offshore account that posts no profits and is registered in Dublin.

Simple facts are that of a company cannot provide at least the living wage for its employees then that company is either lying to the world it's not profitable or is basically living one edge of receivership therefore provides long term stable income for anyone.

Underpaid labour is not a gift to society

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"Seemed to go smoothly. Haven't seen much on the news congratulating the government though. "
This country loves to complain and find fault.

The government has got somethings right and somethings wrong and in some cases is a victim to circumstance.

People however are looking for the bad because they support a different party.All it proves as that they are incapable of reason and logic not very intelligent

Grantham

Perhaps if he was paid more in the first place it wouldn't be an issue, or does that angle not make sense to you."

He is well paid! 80% of any wage, is always 80%. The fact that he is saving a good proportion of the remaining 20% is beneficial to him.

He now hasn't got petrol costs, season ticket costs and food/drink costs, so his standard of living has fallen by very little.

By *xMFM3sumsxxWoman  over a year ago

SouthWest Lancashire

Perhaps if he was paid more in the first place it wouldn't be an issue, or does that angle not make sense to you.

He is well paid! 80% of any wage, is always 80%. The fact that he is saving a good proportion of the remaining 20% is beneficial to him.

He now hasn't got petrol costs, season ticket costs and food/drink costs, so his standard of living has fallen by very little.

"

Doesn't really make sense that people have to pay to go to work and don't get paid for time spent travelling to work. Some european countries pay for all the time spent getting to work.

Grantham

Doesn't really make sense that people have to pay to go to work and don't get paid for time spent travelling to work. Some european countries pay for all the time spent getting to work."

Really? Which ones?

My local town is a dormitory town of London. Probably over a thousand commuters a day to London, all on five figure yearly season tickets.

By *xMFM3sumsxxWoman  over a year ago

SouthWest Lancashire

Doesn't really make sense that people have to pay to go to work and don't get paid for time spent travelling to work. Some european countries pay for all the time spent getting to work.

Really? Which ones?

My local town is a dormitory town of London. Probably over a thousand commuters a day to London, all on five figure yearly season tickets. "

Sorry got common sense and reality confused lol, went to google what countries and none of them pay for it. Although they had to make a law where someone travellng FOR work had to get paid for that, guessing some weren't paying wages and not classing thatas work time so that had to be made law.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

I am lucky.

I am on the furlough scheme, but my company tops up the remaining 20% of my wages.

By *ebbie69Couple  over a year ago

milton keynes

"Seemed to go smoothly. Haven't seen much on the news congratulating the government though. This country loves to complain and find fault.

The government has got somethings right and somethings wrong and in some cases is a victim to circumstance.

People however are looking for the bad because they support a different party.All it proves as that they are incapable of reason and logic not very intelligent"

By *L RogueMan  over a year ago

London

[Removed by poster at 04/05/20 03:48:40]

London

I'm on furlough and I'm grateful for it. Actually, one of the companies I work for already planned to do so ahead of the Govt's scheme while the other company's application qualified so I'll be ok. I'm happy it went smoothly for everyone because if it didn't...paint your own scenarios.

Of course we congratulate when the Govt does a good job. But does that mean we immediately turn a blind eye to the errors in judgement that have seen 28,466 reported deaths in the UK?

milton keynes

"I'm on furlough and I'm grateful for it. Actually, one of the companies I work for already planned to do so ahead of the Govt's scheme while the other company's application qualified so I'll be ok. I'm happy it went smoothly for everyone because if it didn't...paint your own scenarios.

Of course we congratulate when the Govt does a good job. But does that mean we immediately turn a blind eye to the errors in judgement that have seen 28,466 reported deaths in the UK?"

It's good to hear your furlough experience has gone ok like mine. Yes so many jobs saved. Sadly the net did not cover absolutely everyone but many jobs saved all the same.

I agree we should not turn a blind eye to mistakes but I don't think its correct to blame all the deaths on the government. It's a terrible virus and has killed thousands in many countries. If you blame the UK for our deaths you must also blame other countries governments for their deaths

London

"I'm on furlough and I'm grateful for it. Actually, one of the companies I work for already planned to do so ahead of the Govt's scheme while the other company's application qualified so I'll be ok. I'm happy it went smoothly for everyone because if it didn't...paint your own scenarios.

Of course we congratulate when the Govt does a good job. But does that mean we immediately turn a blind eye to the errors in judgement that have seen 28,466 reported deaths in the UK?

It's good to hear your furlough experience has gone ok like mine. Yes so many jobs saved. Sadly the net did not cover absolutely everyone but many jobs saved all the same.

I agree we should not turn a blind eye to mistakes but I don't think its correct to blame all the deaths on the government. It's a terrible virus and has killed thousands in many countries. If you blame the UK for our deaths you must also blame other countries governments for their deaths"

Thanks, you too. A lot of my friends sadly fell through the net but that's another story.

I agree there was always going to be a high number of deaths but it was our Govt's job to keep those numbers down and while some other countries have messed up, there are some who have handled the crisis well. But we don't live in those other countries, we live here in the UK.

milton keynes

I agree we should not turn a blind eye to mistakes but I don't think its correct to blame all the deaths on the government. It's a terrible virus and has killed thousands in many countries. If you blame the UK for our deaths you must also blame other countries governments for their deaths

Thanks, you too. A lot of my friends sadly fell through the net but that's another story.

I agree there was always going to be a high number of deaths but it was our Govt's job to keep those numbers down and while some other countries have messed up, there are some who have handled the crisis well. But we don't live in those other countries, we live here in the UK."

It's the same for all countries governments to keep the numbers as low as possible. My point above was the poster said 28000+ deaths was due to the UK government. This is clearly not correct. Yes some will be due to policy but the virus is to blame for most deaths.

Is still have stuck in my mind the images of Italy with maybe the best health care system seeing their system completely overrun. Many many died there because of this. Italian doctors had to decide who gets help and who does not because they were so overwhelmed.

I do not blame the Italian government at all

London

I agree there was always going to be a high number of deaths but it was our Govt's job to keep those numbers down and while some other countries have messed up, there are some who have handled the crisis well. But we don't live in those other countries, we live here in the UK.

It's the same for all countries governments to keep the numbers as low as possible. My point above was the poster said 28000+ deaths was due to the UK government. This is clearly not correct. Yes some will be due to policy but the virus is to blame for most deaths.

Is still have stuck in my mind the images of Italy with maybe the best health care system seeing their system completely overrun. Many many died there because of this. Italian doctors had to decide who gets help and who does not because they were so overwhelmed.

I do not blame the Italian government at all"

Of course they're not responsible for every single death, the criticism is in regards to keeping the numbers down. It's clear that the virus is causing the deaths. If you read it differently then that's ok but still doesn't change the point.

milton keynes

Of course they're not responsible for every single death, the criticism is in regards to keeping the numbers down. It's clear that the virus is causing the deaths. If you read it differently then that's ok but still doesn't change the point.

"

Yes I understand your point and agree policy or maybe lack of it has contributed to deaths. An example is PPE. I was impressed how at the start the ventilator problem was tackled by using our fantastic companies. I think the PPE should have had a similar solution quicker rather than just buying on the international market when every other country was also trying to buy. Thankfully they are now doing this.

I still point out that other countries like my Italian example have extra deaths due to their respective governments.

London

Yes I understand your point and agree policy or maybe lack of it has contributed to deaths. An example is PPE. I was impressed how at the start the ventilator problem was tackled by using our fantastic companies. I think the PPE should have had a similar solution quicker rather than just buying on the international market when every other country was also trying to buy. Thankfully they are now doing this.

I still point out that other countries like my Italian example have extra deaths due to their respective governments. "

True and I feel for the people of Italy and everyone ill with this horrible illness. But as I stated before: I live here in the UK. Also, with two key workers who have to got to go to hospitals and care homes respectively. So naturally my concerns and criticisms will always be closer to home.

milton keynes

I still point out that other countries like my Italian example have extra deaths due to their respective governments.

True and I feel for the people of Italy and everyone ill with this horrible illness. But as I stated before: I live here in the UK. Also, with two key workers who have to got to go to hospitals and care homes respectively. So naturally my concerns and criticisms will always be closer to home. "

Fully understand your concerns and as said agree especially as you have key workers close to you.

My frustration is not with you it is that so many criticise the UK rightly or wrongly but refuse to acknowledge that its not just the UK making mistakes. They seem to think other countries are some sort of utopia.

I hope the key workers close to you are and remain well

London

True and I feel for the people of Italy and everyone ill with this horrible illness. But as I stated before: I live here in the UK. Also, with two key workers who have to got to go to hospitals and care homes respectively. So naturally my concerns and criticisms will always be closer to home.

Fully understand your concerns and as said agree especially as you have key workers close to you.

My frustration is not with you it is that so many criticise the UK rightly or wrongly but refuse to acknowledge that its not just the UK making mistakes. They seem to think other countries are some sort of utopia.

I hope the key workers close to you are and remain well"

Thanks. We can only hope lessons will be learned. Stay safe.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

Lets hope there is a gradual wind down of the furlough scheme, not the cliff edge end that was hinted at that would not happen

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

You will all be paying it back soon enough once back to work and taxes go up

London

"You will all be paying it back soon enough once back to work and taxes go up"

As long as they're pumped back in to the key workers who helped us through this but that's unlikely.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

I agree we should not turn a blind eye to mistakes but I don't think its correct to blame all the deaths on the government. It's a terrible virus and has killed thousands in many countries. If you blame the UK for our deaths you must also blame other countries governments for their deaths"

By *onny and clydeCouple  over a year ago

Sheffield yorkshire

We have the worst death rate in europe

The longest most damaging lockdown

No proper testing early enough.no proper ppe

Warned as long a go as 2016?what have they got right exactly?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

If you adjust deaths to equate to population size we are 4 th . In densely populated areas you would expect deaths to be higher.

It is inevitable that PPE will be in short supply due to worldwide demand. However we have never run out.

With reference to the 2016 report did any of the attendees press for any further action if it was considered necessary. ? It would be a pointless exercise spending endless resources on an event that was unlikely to happen. We could all male the correct decisions with the benefit of hindsight.

The UKs handling of the crisis is not any different to that of other counties. Death tolls would appear to confirm that.

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

"If you adjust deaths to equate to population size we are 4 th . In densely populated areas you would expect deaths to be higher.

It is inevitable that PPE will be in short supply due to worldwide demand. However we have never run out.

With reference to the 2016 report did any of the attendees press for any further action if it was considered necessary. ? It would be a pointless exercise spending endless resources on an event that was unlikely to happen. We could all male the correct decisions with the benefit of hindsight.

The UKs handling of the crisis is not any different to that of other counties. Death tolls would appear to confirm that. "

We are "only" the fourth highest rate in deaths per capita. That's an amazingly low bar to be proud of.

Nobody claims that there is not a shortage of PPE. The government spent several weeks that there was no shortage despite evidence to contrary from NHS and care staff.

That's the problem.

Once information is provided to government and the decision has been made to not act on it then there is no further "pressing" to do.

Competence is making the correct decisions with the information available.

There was information available.

It clearly was not a "pointless" exercise because it did happen. It was foreseeable and it was foreseen and it was not acted on.

By *isandhers691127Couple  over a year ago

Bournemouth

If it was a pointless exercise, why did they bother conducting it in the first place!

By *ateNaughtyMan  over a year ago

west london

He shouldn’t have to be travelling to work or have any incidental work expenses if he’s on furlough? He should be of work, unless he has a second job.....

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

"If you adjust deaths to equate to population size we are 4 th . In densely populated areas you would expect deaths to be higher.

The UKs handling of the crisis is not any different to that of other counties. Death tolls would appear to confirm that. "

Try reading this, it might help you...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/10/100-days-later-how-did-britain-fail-so-badly-in-dealing-with-covid-19?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

» Add a new message to this topic