FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Black Lives Do Matter!

Black Lives Do Matter!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ethnmelv OP   Couple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

I was just reading the other thread on here and felt that more needs to be said.

This is not denying that ‘All Lives Matter’, it is simply pointing out that right now & for at least the last 500 years Black Lives have not been regarded as equally as the remainder of ‘All Lives’.

What happened to George Floyd in and of itself was appalling - this was cold blooded murder. The fact that it was carried out by the Police should shock us. This should not happen, it does not happen to White people and if ‘All Lives’ mattered, then it wouldn’t happen to Black people.

Of course Violent Protest should not be condoned, but Trump has fanned the flame’s of extremism. He has encouraged rascist tropes and used polemic to stigmatise. He used the words of a 1960s racist Miami Police Chief saying “when the looting starts, the shooting starts”! Martin Luther King himself would be struggling to turn the other cheek under this continued provocation.

I laud peaceful protest, and many, many people have been doing just this. Many Law Enforcement Officers have also been law abiding. BUT, too many of them are not, they have been supported, endorsed and goaded by Trump and his minions. This cannot end well for any of us unless and until he recognises that standing for all of the US matters and not just his privileged White friends.

At the end of this protest, we must truly ensure that ‘All Lives Matter’, for now can we just try to make sure that ‘Black Lives Matter’ enough to be regarded equally to ‘All Lives’!? Surely this cannot be argued against?

Reply privately (thread closed by moderator)

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

"I was just reading the other thread on here and felt that more needs to be said.

This is not denying that ‘All Lives Matter’, it is simply pointing out that right now & for at least the last 500 years Black Lives have not been regarded as equally as the remainder of ‘All Lives’.

What happened to George Floyd in and of itself was appalling - this was cold blooded murder. The fact that it was carried out by the Police should shock us. This should not happen, it does not happen to White people and if ‘All Lives’ mattered, then it wouldn’t happen to Black people.

Of course Violent Protest should not be condoned, but Trump has fanned the flame’s of extremism. He has encouraged rascist tropes and used polemic to stigmatise. He used the words of a 1960s racist Miami Police Chief saying “when the looting starts, the shooting starts”! Martin Luther King himself would be struggling to turn the other cheek under this continued provocation.

I laud peaceful protest, and many, many people have been doing just this. Many Law Enforcement Officers have also been law abiding. BUT, too many of them are not, they have been supported, endorsed and goaded by Trump and his minions. This cannot end well for any of us unless and until he recognises that standing for all of the US matters and not just his privileged White friends.

At the end of this protest, we must truly ensure that ‘All Lives Matter’, for now can we just try to make sure that ‘Black Lives Matter’ enough to be regarded equally to ‘All Lives’!? Surely this cannot be argued against? "

Very good post.

The last line, I'm pretty sure someone will be along shortly to argue against it.

Seems people thrive on disagreement just for the sake of it.

See my post on the broken America thread for my feelings.

Sadly as much as I'd like to say things can change its appears this is not so.

Well certainly not in our lifetime.

4 months ago I may have believed it possible.

But having seen and read some of the countless Moronic insensitive and frankly obscene posts related to covid 19 over the past few months and some attitudes.

I can't see a lot of these people having any more of a educated, realistic, compassionate view towards racism and rasict acts.

As many decent, honest hard-working compassionate people there are out there,it seems that there's ten selfish uneducated bigoted morons as well.

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

"I was just reading the other thread on here and felt that more needs to be said.

At the end of this protest, we must truly ensure that ‘All Lives Matter’, for now can we just try to make sure that ‘Black Lives Matter’ enough to be regarded equally to ‘All Lives’!? Surely this cannot be argued against? "

I don’t think that anyone is arguing against it?

The Police brutality in Hong Kong is also abhorrent.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Both of the above..

It is slowly getting better, and that's not my experience that's the words of friends who have seen a change at least in the attitudes of the police over here..

I've never been stopped just as I was about to turn into work as did a mate on one occasion as the car was a bit of an old rattler they said, when he told them he was about to go on duty they were all nice and fine..

Ironically he brought a new one some weeks later and got pulled again near his home..

So there's a long way to go of course but yes totally agree that in the context of the phrase then black lives do matter..

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

"

I don’t think that anyone is arguing against it?

The Police brutality in Hong Kong is also abhorrent. "

Plenty of people are very willing to deny that police display any racial bias, or change the topic to say that white people have it just as bad, or excuse police brutality by saying that the black person concerned had it coming.

Chudleigh

What would be great is if people could just accept the injustice is real. Too many people try to distract from the subject and attempt to suggest equivalencies with patently non equivalent issues.

Fundamentally, Black Lives have not mattered enough to enough people.

We should remember George Floyd, we should stop this happening again. We should not turn a blind eye to rascism. All of us have a responsibility to react positively to this terrible crime. It doesn’t just happen in the US, open your eyes and look around you in this country as well. It is not as bad as the US, but for the grace of god it could be.

Being non religious, I’d rather not trust in god (especially Trumps version). We each owe it to our fellow humans to treat each other with dignity, with respect and to be treated equally. I am an optimist by nature, but this is being tested to often for my liking

By *unburyguy71Man  over a year ago

Sunbury

Unfortunately America hasn't learnt lessons from their past. From the 1960's to the riots in LA over the death of Rodney King by Police officers. I know that there are some very good police officers in America as in all countries. All we can all do is try to make a change and a difference in our day to day lives. Treat everyone as a human being exactly how you would like to be treated. Unfortunately we will never wipe out racism completely, because there will always be people with a blinkered view of the world. Take care everyone and look after each other.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

What’s annoying me is see the rioting and looting and think that’s what The Black Lives Movement is all about.

Peaceful protests have been done, however no one is listening so people are taking actions into their own hands.

Even when people are protesting peacefully the police are assaulting people who are being peaceful.

Ontop of that there were people from all backgrounds including white people who were rioting and looting. The reason why I’m saying that is because there’s a lot of misconception on social media and on this site that black people are doing all the rioting and looting when that’s not the case.

All Lives Matter but the police don’t seem to think so and have abused their powers for years.

Chudleigh

It is easy to see why the anger can spill into violence. Certainly in the US, the provocation from the State and the Police against peaceful protest has resulted in violence.

Clearly there are people who are ignoring the cause and simply looting, but when Trumps Storm Troopers assault a peaceful group outside the Presidents Church to enable him to have a photo op, you start to have a clear idea about who is inciting the violence, and who is using it to appeal to his alt.right voters.

We should absolutely treat everyone equally. Right now we could recognise this isn’t the case and each live our lifes a little bit better.

Racism is not acceptable under any circumstances.

"It is easy to see why the anger can spill into violence. Certainly in the US, the provocation from the State and the Police against peaceful protest has resulted in violence.

Clearly there are people who are ignoring the cause and simply looting, but when Trumps Storm Troopers assault a peaceful group outside the Presidents Church to enable him to have a photo op, you start to have a clear idea about who is inciting the violence, and who is using it to appeal to his alt.right voters.

We should absolutely treat everyone equally. Right now we could recognise this isn’t the case and each live our lifes a little bit better.

Racism is not acceptable under any circumstances.

"

Yes those who are not ignoring the cause are not doing the movement any favours, because it comes back on us.

Trump is just.... well I think he’s a POS.

That’s my point the ones who were out peacefully got attacked, I’m glad there in this thread there’s more sense from people compared to the previous one.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

I have seen some awesome clips of people peacefully protesting today. Don’t believe the hype and the agitators.

I’m going myself on Saturday to one.

All lives matter,Blues lives matter yes they do but let’s raise up Black Lives Matter because then it can be truly All lives!

By *hybloke67Man  over a year ago

ROMFORD

"I have seen some awesome clips of people peacefully protesting today. Don’t believe the hype and the agitators.

All lives matter,Blues lives matter yes they do but let’s raise up Black Lives Matter because then it can be truly All lives!

"

Are you going to self isolate for 14 days after attending the rally?

North Bucks

"I have seen some awesome clips of people peacefully protesting today. Don’t believe the hype and the agitators.

Are you going to self isolate for 14 days after attending the rally? "

Nope I’m going to wear a mask and social distance. It’s a local one so likely not to be too big.

But thanks for the concern.

Chudleigh

Nope I’m going to wear a mask and social distance. It’s a local one so likely not to be too big.

But thanks for the concern. "

Great response, keep safe

By *eefyBangerMan  over a year ago

edinburgh

But thanks for the concern. "

It’s a crying shame that thousands of people in London aren’t as responsible today as your good self

Chudleigh

I think it is fair to say that passions are phenomenally high. Whilst many will social distance, wear masks and avoid contact, it requires common sense on all sides to both allow protest, but also for the protests to be listened to rather than just try to stop them.

As Obama has done with his response to George Floyds death, it should be compassionate, reasonable, recognising the pain but retaining hope that enough people want this to be better.

I feel our Government could do more & should reflect on the shambles that the US Government is. BJ should not try to be like Trump, he should try to be like Obama.

So is the looting part of it ??

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

It’s a crying shame that thousands of people in London aren’t as responsible today as your good self "

Seems labour MP Barry Gardiner is proud of not social distancing at the rally and to think this clown was on corbyns front bench.

It’s a crying shame that thousands of people in London aren’t as responsible today as your good self Seems labour MP Barry Gardiner is proud of not social distancing at the rally and to think this clown was on corbyns front bench."

I know, I am sure he will resign when Cummings does

By *igsteve43Man  over a year ago

derby

Anyone attending these protests should be arrested or at least have their details taken for test and trace procedures, oh and then any of them who get covid should be denied treatment

"Anyone attending these protests should be arrested or at least have their details taken for test and trace procedures, oh and then any of them who get covid should be denied treatment"

I agree 100% and anyone of them that have it should be put in jail.. ALM

Is the looting part of what they stand for??

"Anyone attending these protests should be arrested or at least have their details taken for test and trace procedures, oh and then any of them who get covid should be denied treatment

Is the looting part of what they stand for?? "

We’re they all looting?

"Anyone attending these protests should be arrested or at least have their details taken for test and trace procedures, oh and then any of them who get covid should be denied treatment

We’re they all looting? "

They are looting in the U.S. the family had to ask them to stop not in his name they said .. alto I have to say I'm not surprised ALM

We’re they all looting?

They are looting in the U.S. the family had to ask them to stop not in his name they said .. alto I have to say I'm not surprised ALM "

Are all the protesters looting?

We’re they all looting?

They are looting in the U.S. the family had to ask them to stop not in his name they said .. alto I have to say I'm not surprised ALM

Are all the protesters looting? "

The most of them are and fighting...

We’re they all looting?

The most of them are and fighting... "

Most of them, above 50% then?

derby

We’re they all looting?

The most of them are and fighting...

Most of them, above 50% then? "

I personally believe it is a small minority looting and fighting however at this moment in time 100% are breaking the law as both us and the usa have current rules on gatherings over a certain number and also social distancing rules

By *rumalexMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

Then that's another charge they can put on the murdering policemen as well in that case, as they weren't social distancing when they killed the poor man

That is the dumbest thing I've read on here today. Was this also your opinion when Republicans stormed government buildings and blocked hospitals? That they should all be locked up and refused treatment? What a ridiculous comment.

Then that's another charge they can put on the murdering policemen as well in that case, as they weren't social distancing when they killed the poor man "

Eg. 100 policemen kill 1000 innocent black men.

2 black men kill 5 police men

You: wow the blacks are a disgrace.

You couldnt be more out of touch with reality. Thank god for mobile phones... if this is what we're seeing on phones, what do you expect is happening when they have nobody watching?

Great post.

What happened to George is unforgivable and I am glad that all four officers have now been charged.

Racism is real and there are racists in all walks of life, of course the minority.

The sad thing here is (and I’m sure some black people can vouch) when you tell of your experiences of racism or discrimination you’re often disregarded by non blacks who either claim “you’re overreacting” or “you’re playing the victim” or something similar.

To talk about your experiences that have affected you, and your identity is not “victim playing”. I’m not a victim, yes I’ve suffered racism but it’s made me who I am today. It doesn’t make me any less of a person, it actually makes me more of a person if anything.

I wish more people could come together, listen to others and their stories instead of shutting people down. Have an opinion by all means but be open minded enough to hear what others have to say too.

[Removed by poster at 05/06/20 06:56:13]

Then that's another charge they can put on the murdering policemen as well in that case, as they weren't social distancing when they killed the poor man

Eg. 100 policemen kill 1000 innocent black men.

2 black men kill 5 police men

You: wow the blacks are a disgrace.

You couldnt be more out of touch with reality. Thank god for mobile phones... if this is what we're seeing on phones, what do you expect is happening when they have nobody watching?"

Nail on the head.

Also as far as denying those people who are protesting treatment if catch they COVID, I hope you guys have said the same statement for those who already broke the lockdown rules by exposing themselves and their kids by travelling to public places, prior to these protests

"Great post.

What happened to George is unforgivable and I am glad that all four officers have now been charged.

Racism is real and there are racists in all walks of life, of course the minority.

The sad thing here is (and I’m sure some black people can vouch) when you tell of your experiences of racism or discrimination you’re often disregarded by non blacks who either claim “you’re overreacting” or “you’re playing the victim” or something similar.

To talk about your experiences that have affected you, and your identity is not “victim playing”. I’m not a victim, yes I’ve suffered racism but it’s made me who I am today. It doesn’t make me any less of a person, it actually makes me more of a person if anything.

I wish more people could come together, listen to others and their stories instead of shutting people down. Have an opinion by all means but be open minded enough to hear what others have to say too. "

I can vouch for that 100%.

It still exists in the UK, even in the swinging scene.

I hate when the people who aren’t affected by it tell us how we should feel about it.

The past few days have really shown how ignorant people are.

People on social media and even on these threads are blaming the looting and rioting strictly on black people because they are influenced by the media.

You don’t feel comfortable talking about it, well imagine having to live it.

I’m so glad that all officers have finally been charged, i hate the fact that it took so long.

By *oan of DArcCouple  over a year ago

Glasgow

Excellent

By *innie The MinxWoman  over a year ago

Under the Duvet

John Boyega's speech says it all. Powerful stuff.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

Are white police officers the biggest threat to the lives of young black men? Both here and in the US?

By *rumalexMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

"Are white police officers the biggest threat to the lives of young black men? Both here and in the US?"

i would say no, but its just shocking when people who should be upholding the law and protecting citizens are the ones doing the killing

salisbury

"Are white police officers the biggest threat to the lives of young black men? Both here and in the US?

i would say no, but its just shocking when people who should be upholding the law and protecting citizens are the ones doing the killing "

Absolutely. Is death in custody unique to POC?

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

"Are white police officers the biggest threat to the lives of young black men? Both here and in the US?"

In London it’s other young black men.

salisbury

"Are white police officers the biggest threat to the lives of young black men? Both here and in the US?

In London it’s other young black men."

And not just London.

By *ain n MableWoman  over a year ago

Milton Keynes

The week before the disgusting racist murder of George Floyd, 10 black males were shot dead by rival black males in Chicago on Memorial weekend. Where were you the "Black lives matter" placards then? Do black lives only matter when a white person is involved?

Black lives, white lives, human life matters 365 days a year, every year. Not when people feel like it.

By *nterracial dreamCouple  over a year ago

London

In London it’s other young black men.

And not just London. "

Hello.

I'd like to know where you obtaining your information from and if you could provide sources it would be much appreciated.

By *nterracial dreamCouple  over a year ago

London

i would say no, but its just shocking when people who should be upholding the law and protecting citizens are the ones doing the killing

Absolutely. Is death in custody unique to POC? "

No it isn't but when compared to their white counterparts it is unusually high.

London

"The week before the disgusting racist murder of George Floyd, 10 black males were shot dead by rival black males in Chicago on Memorial weekend. Where were you the "Black lives matter" placards then? Do black lives only matter when a white person is involved?

Black lives, white lives, human life matters 365 days a year, every year. Not when people feel like it. "

It's almost like people feel police should be held to a higher standard than gang members. So weird.

"The week before the disgusting racist murder of George Floyd, 10 black males were shot dead by rival black males in Chicago on Memorial weekend. Where were you the "Black lives matter" placards then? Do black lives only matter when a white person is involved?

Black lives, white lives, human life matters 365 days a year, every year. Not when people feel like it. "

You don’t think we care about all black lives? (Or all lives).

Sadly the media doesn’t record or list every single black life lost, if they did, I’d know about all of them and I’d want to offer my condolences to every single family.

George Floyd caused media outrage and went viral because of the incompetence of the vile police officer who thought it was okay to kneel on his neck. His life isn’t worth more than the black lives lost that haven’t received coverage, it’s just the way the media is.

How many of you telling us about black lives lost to other black people actually care yourselves? Or is that situation just used as a stick to beat others with right now?!

Black lives, white lives, human life matters 365 days a year, every year. Not when people feel like it.

It's almost like people feel police should be held to a higher standard than gang members. So weird. "

Strange isn’t it.

The thing is these people deciding to do some virtue signalling and point score couldn’t give a shit themselves.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

No it isn't but when compared to their white counterparts it is unusually high."

... and here we reach the uncomfortable truth......

people seem to use the "bad apples" excuse for police... but i would like my police to be above that standard!

would you accept "bad apples" if:

they were pilots for example?

.... or doctors?

the only way people change is if they look inward....

10 days since the protests started... the last 6 have been peaceful more or less

the thing i want to ask is what have people actually learnt in the last week... have they actually listened to black people rather than just paying it lip service... or using whataboutism.......

salisbury

No it isn't but when compared to their white counterparts it is unusually high."

Usually? Do you have any figures to back that up?

Sadly the media doesn’t record or list every single black life lost, if they did, I’d know about all of them and I’d want to offer my condolences to every single family.

George Floyd caused media outrage and went viral because of the incompetence of the vile police officer who thought it was okay to kneel on his neck. His life isn’t worth more than the black lives lost that haven’t received coverage, it’s just the way the media is.

How many of you telling us about black lives lost to other black people actually care yourselves? Or is that situation just used as a stick to beat others with right now?!"

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!!! Well said SubPrincess!

How many of you telling us about black lives lost to other black people actually care yourselves? Or is that situation just used as a stick to beat others with right now?!"

Sub Princess Thank you!!!

How many of you telling us about black lives lost to other black people actually care yourselves? Or is that situation just used as a stick to beat others with right now?!

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!!! Well said SubPrincess!"

Sub Princess Thank you!!!"

By *rSinCityMan  over a year ago

London

Black lives don't matter

In fact No lives matter.

It's just some kind of virtue signalling western culture likes to use

near ipswich

I find it strange that people are prepared to go to mass demonstrations black lives matter when it's known that bame people are more likely to die from covid than others. It seems they don't matter that much if they are prepared to start another peak by mass gatherings.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"I find it strange that people are prepared to go to mass demonstrations black lives matter when it's known that bame people are more likely to die from covid than others. It seems they don't matter that much if they are prepared to start another peak by mass gatherings.

"

no doubt if and when the peak comes again they will be the first to blame Boris.They should not march today as all mass gatherings are stupid and selfish

"I find it strange that people are prepared to go to mass demonstrations black lives matter when it's known that bame people are more likely to die from covid than others. It seems they don't matter that much if they are prepared to start another peak by mass gatherings.

no doubt if and when the peak comes again they will be the first to blame Boris.They should not march today as all mass gatherings are stupid and selfish"

It’s ok to go to Barnard castle though????

no doubt if and when the peak comes again they will be the first to blame Boris.They should not march today as all mass gatherings are stupid and selfish

It’s ok to go to Barnard castle though???? "

Of course it is, it was for the safety of his children remember...

It’s also okay to go to the beach, and go to London Bridge to clap for the NHS...

Personally I wouldn’t be going to protest in the middle of a pandemic, just as I wouldn’t be going to an overcrowded beach either.

The majority of people going to these protests are young people, mostly under 35s.

By *ungBlackTopMan  over a year ago

salford

Sadly when as a black man when I read these post I can understand why we need to protest for our lives. The mentality of some of you are so warped it's frightening. Racism is about power over another person or group of people due to their race, black people have never had power so it's unlikely we can be called racists. I agree we do form prejudices and have discrimination just like every other human beings. Protests are not about George floyd, his death just highlighted the ongoing brutality and vulnerability our black skin makes us endure every day. I'm by no way a "race card" exploiter and I too hate when any member of the BAME exploit it but when I read these forums I can honestly see why they do. It's about disproportionate black deaths compared to any other race in the hands of authority. Disproportionate equality in response to education, healthcare, social care the list goes on. Yes we shouldn't have things handed to us but out of all races we have probably had to work that little harder to achieve and I'm talking from personal experience before someone decides to say I'm wrong. So disappointed in some people on here and appalled admin has closed the thread. Freedom of speech is necessary to educate.

By *adetMan  over a year ago

Ipswich

"Sadly when as a black man when I read these post I can understand why we need to protest for our lives. The mentality of some of you are so warped it's frightening. Racism is about power over another person or group of people due to their race, black people have never had power so it's unlikely we can be called racists. I agree we do form prejudices and have discrimination just like every other human beings. Protests are not about George floyd, his death just highlighted the ongoing brutality and vulnerability our black skin makes us endure every day. I'm by no way a "race card" exploiter and I too hate when any member of the BAME exploit it but when I read these forums I can honestly see why they do. It's about disproportionate black deaths compared to any other race in the hands of authority. Disproportionate equality in response to education, healthcare, social care the list goes on. Yes we shouldn't have things handed to us but out of all races we have probably had to work that little harder to achieve and I'm talking from personal experience before someone decides to say I'm wrong. So disappointed in some people on here and appalled admin has closed the thread. Freedom of speech is necessary to educate."

Slightly off topic I know but I'd be interested to hear of your experience of homophobia in the black community. I have a friend who was completely ostracized by his family and friends and he could never understand how they could talk about equality in one breath and then condemn him and 'his kind' in the next breath

By *ireman28Man  over a year ago

Derbyshire/ Nottinghamshire

[Removed by poster at 06/06/20 12:48:01]

London

"Sadly when as a black man when I read these post I can understand why we need to protest for our lives. The mentality of some of you are so warped it's frightening. Racism is about power over another person or group of people due to their race, black people have never had power so it's unlikely we can be called racists. I agree we do form prejudices and have discrimination just like every other human beings. Protests are not about George floyd, his death just highlighted the ongoing brutality and vulnerability our black skin makes us endure every day. I'm by no way a "race card" exploiter and I too hate when any member of the BAME exploit it but when I read these forums I can honestly see why they do. It's about disproportionate black deaths compared to any other race in the hands of authority. Disproportionate equality in response to education, healthcare, social care the list goes on. Yes we shouldn't have things handed to us but out of all races we have probably had to work that little harder to achieve and I'm talking from personal experience before someone decides to say I'm wrong. So disappointed in some people on here and appalled admin has closed the thread. Freedom of speech is necessary to educate."

"black people cant be racist" good joke. Problem is that black community itself is divided, don't expect others to come and help you sort out your mess. These protests won't do anything, until black community will out this "thug life" mentality

Glasgow

"These protests won't do anything, until black community will out this "thug life" mentality"

Here we go again stereotyping a whole community of people negatively in order to justify a reluctance for societal change that's been required for hundreds of years.

London

"These protests won't do anything, until black community will out this "thug life" mentality

Here we go again stereotyping a whole community of people negatively in order to justify a reluctance for societal change that's been required for hundreds of years.

"

Bullshit. The majority sets out the stereotypes. Why other minority groups are not looting and stealing hiding behind "protests"? Muslims are treated even worse in society, but I dont see them looting shops. So saying that its not black community thing is just shifting the blame somethere else

Now regarding hundreds of years of societal problems. How long does it take to sort out the mess that happened because of slavery? You only see what is happening in western culture. Look at other countries and their people, they got screwed over way more and quite recently. But not all of them are always shifting the blame on white people

near ipswich

yeah i think its safer to go for a drive with your immediate family than to join hundreds of people in one place , dont you?

Glasgow

"These protests won't do anything, until black community will out this "thug life" mentality

Bullshit. The majority sets out the stereotypes. Why other minority groups are not looting and stealing hiding behind "protests"? Muslims are treated even worse in society, but I dont see them looting shops. So saying that its not black community thing is just shifting the blame somethere else

Now regarding hundreds of years of societal problems. How long does it take to sort out the mess that happened because of slavery? You only see what is happening in western culture. Look at other countries and their people, they got screwed over way more and quite recently. But not all of them are always shifting the blame on white people"

You're response and it's tone is simply endorsing my view.

The issues are far more complex (and entrenched) than slavery (which I didn't mention) or the suggested malaise in black communities due to black on black violence.

London

Now regarding hundreds of years of societal problems. How long does it take to sort out the mess that happened because of slavery? You only see what is happening in western culture. Look at other countries and their people, they got screwed over way more and quite recently. But not all of them are always shifting the blame on white people

The issues are far more complex (and entrenched) than slavery (which I didn't mention) or the suggested malaise in black communities due to black on black violence. "

In general, nobody cares. We just enjoy watching the reality show on TV that is called America

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

What a stupid remark you are talking about three people in a car not thousands together.

There is zero connetion between the two

Newcastle and Gateshead

like i said... it having to look inwards and face an uncomfortable truth...

some people in this thread want to talk about "whataboutism"... or what to just deflect or outright hijack....

those people are ready for an actual conversation... so let history past time by, and if they have to be dragged kicking and screaming so be it....

its got to the point where i say.... you can continue to be part of the problem, or you can decide to be part of the solution....

i'd rather you actually be part of the solution.....

not quite on the same level is it, he didn't come into contact with hundreds of people, I am not condoning what he did by the way but the protests will almost certainly lead to a lot more people becoming infected and possibly dying, lots of ways to protest without risking theres and so many others lives.

"Sadly when as a black man when I read these post I can understand why we need to protest for our lives. The mentality of some of you are so warped it's frightening. Racism is about power over another person or group of people due to their race, black people have never had power so it's unlikely we can be called racists. I agree we do form prejudices and have discrimination just like every other human beings. Protests are not about George floyd, his death just highlighted the ongoing brutality and vulnerability our black skin makes us endure every day. I'm by no way a "race card" exploiter and I too hate when any member of the BAME exploit it but when I read these forums I can honestly see why they do. It's about disproportionate black deaths compared to any other race in the hands of authority. Disproportionate equality in response to education, healthcare, social care the list goes on. Yes we shouldn't have things handed to us but out of all races we have probably had to work that little harder to achieve and I'm talking from personal experience before someone decides to say I'm wrong. So disappointed in some people on here and appalled admin has closed the thread. Freedom of speech is necessary to educate.

"black people cant be racist" good joke. Problem is that black community itself is divided, don't expect others to come and help you sort out your mess. These protests won't do anything, until black community will out this "thug life" mentality"

So the “thug life” mentality is the whole of the black community is it?

Should I generalise all white people because some commit crimes?

There are more law abiding black people than there are criminals. Black on black crime is an issue, I think everyone knows that. I’m not sure what makes you think anyone of the black community would like help from those who stereotype our whole community like you do.

The issues are far more complex (and entrenched) than slavery (which I didn't mention) or the suggested malaise in black communities due to black on black violence.

In general, nobody cares. We just enjoy watching the reality show on TV that is called America "

Nobody cares but it seems to have warranted a big response from you...

Interesting.

It’s ok to go to Barnard castle though???? not quite on the same level is it, he didn't come into contact with hundreds of people, I am not condoning what he did by the way but the protests will almost certainly lead to a lot more people becoming infected and possibly dying, lots of ways to protest without risking theres and so many others lives."

Fair.

How about the crammed beaches recently? Or those clapping for the NHS on London Bridge?

London

In general, nobody cares. We just enjoy watching the reality show on TV that is called America

Interesting. "

I just enjoy writing some stuff on forum, you know, same as you

Interesting.

I just enjoy writing some stuff on forum, you know, same as you"

I don’t tend to join in on threads that I don’t “care” about, as I’d rather not waste my time.

Each to their own.

Glasgow

"Sadly when as a black man when I read these post I can understand why we need to protest for our lives. The mentality of some of you are so warped it's frightening. Racism is about power over another person or group of people due to their race, black people have never had power so it's unlikely we can be called racists. I agree we do form prejudices and have discrimination just like every other human beings. Protests are not about George floyd, his death just highlighted the ongoing brutality and vulnerability our black skin makes us endure every day. I'm by no way a "race card" exploiter and I too hate when any member of the BAME exploit it but when I read these forums I can honestly see why they do. It's about disproportionate black deaths compared to any other race in the hands of authority. Disproportionate equality in response to education, healthcare, social care the list goes on. Yes we shouldn't have things handed to us but out of all races we have probably had to work that little harder to achieve and I'm talking from personal experience before someone decides to say I'm wrong. So disappointed in some people on here and appalled admin has closed the thread. Freedom of speech is necessary to educate.

"black people cant be racist" good joke. Problem is that black community itself is divided, don't expect others to come and help you sort out your mess. These protests won't do anything, until black community will out this "thug life" mentality

There are more law abiding black people than there are criminals. Black on black crime is an issue, I think everyone knows that. I’m not sure what makes you think anyone of the black community would like help from those who stereotype our whole community like you do. "

Indeed, well said.

Stereotyping communities allows the guilty (and aggrieved) to excuse their behaviours or not empathise with the other.

For those who find it difficult to understand blacks are not a homogeneous group I can confirm:

They don't all drink Red Stripe

They don't all love reggae music or rap.

They don't all eat fried chicken or curried goat.

They don't all engage in violent crime or criminality.

They're not all the product of single parent families.

They're not all on social benefits.

They don't all live in ghettos.

They don't all have 'piccanni smiles'.

Black men are not just 'big black cocks'

Black men don't all have big cocks.

Unsurprisingly black people are just like everyone else, with a myriad of nuanced personalities, experiences and dreams!

There are more law abiding black people than there are criminals. Black on black crime is an issue, I think everyone knows that. I’m not sure what makes you think anyone of the black community would like help from those who stereotype our whole community like you do.

Indeed, well said.

Stereotyping communities allows the guilty (and aggrieved) to excuse their behaviours or not empathise with the other.

For those who find it difficult to understand blacks are not a homogeneous group I can confirm:

They don't all drink Red Stripe

They don't all love reggae music or rap.

They don't all eat fried chicken or curried goat.

They don't all engage in violent crime or criminality.

They're not all the product of single parent families.

They're not all on social benefits.

They don't all live in ghettos.

They don't all have 'piccanni smiles'.

Black men are not just 'big black cocks'

Black men don't all have big cocks.

Unsurprisingly black people are just like everyone else, with a myriad of nuanced personalities, experiences and dreams!"

Well said!

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

"

Harlesden block party anyone?

BAME journalists asking questions daily about increased mortality rates. There was a huge BAME attendance at that illegal party.

Glasgow

"

Harlesden block party anyone?

BAME journalists asking questions daily about increased mortality rates. There was a huge BAME attendance at that illegal party. "

There's a significant difference between infection and mortality rates, from an interpretation point of view.

Ps the majority of black people in the UK don't live in Harlesden, attend parties there or associate exclusively with black people, so statistically it will be irrelevant from a epidemiological perspective.

It’s ok to go to Barnard castle though???? not quite on the same level is it, he didn't come into contact with hundreds of people, I am not condoning what he did by the way but the protests will almost certainly lead to a lot more people becoming infected and possibly dying, lots of ways to protest without risking theres and so many others lives."

One rule for one and one rule for another then? I expect the protesters to get the same punishment as Cummings??

Slightly off topic I know but I'd be interested to hear of your experience of homophobia in the black community. I have a friend who was completely ostracized by his family and friends and he could never understand how they could talk about equality in one breath and then condemn him and 'his kind' in the next breath "

I had a white friend who had the same experience, what can this mean?

Glasgow

"

Slightly off topic I know but I'd be interested to hear of your experience of homophobia in the black community. I have a friend who was completely ostracized by his family and friends and he could never understand how they could talk about equality in one breath and then condemn him and 'his kind' in the next breath

I had a white friend who had the same experience, what can this mean? "

That black people are as hypocritical, inconsistent and prejudiced as anyone else... who'd have thunk it?!

near ipswich

It’s ok to go to Barnard castle though???? not quite on the same level is it, he didn't come into contact with hundreds of people, I am not condoning what he did by the way but the protests will almost certainly lead to a lot more people becoming infected and possibly dying, lots of ways to protest without risking theres and so many others lives.

One rule for one and one rule for another then? I expect the protesters to get the same punishment as Cummings??"

So you think someone in his car with family is the same risk as being in a group of hundreds if not thousands unbelievable

Chudleigh

Instead of trying to obfuscate and confuse matters, this post was about Black Lives Matter. It opens with an acceptance that All Lives Matter, but tries to get people to reflect that Black people, especially (but not only) in the US, are being killed in large numbers by the people who are supposed to be protecting ‘All Lives’.

This cannot be acceptable, nor can it be explained away by suggesting they ‘are all looters and getting what they deserve’ (I paraphrase slightly here, but I’m sure the Tory MP for the New Forest can correct any bits I got wrong!)

All Lives should Matter, the BIG PROBLEM is that Black Lives do not Matter enough, to enough people. It is time we recognised this and did something positive about it. When 1,200 Black people get killed in the US each year by the Police a reasonable person has to wonder what the motive for this is? The US has an appalling record, it needs to be called out and cannot be supported.

People have the right to protest about this. 500 years of history does not go away easily, and rightly is re-awakened by the loss of George Floyd.

near ipswich

White people get shot by usa police too https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/o .

"White people get shot by usa police too https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/o ."

How many of them had their hands up, or shot in the back, or turned out to be unarmed, or just going about their lawful business?

It’s ok to go to Barnard castle though???? not quite on the same level is it, he didn't come into contact with hundreds of people, I am not condoning what he did by the way but the protests will almost certainly lead to a lot more people becoming infected and possibly dying, lots of ways to protest without risking theres and so many others lives.

One rule for one and one rule for another then? I expect the protesters to get the same punishment as Cummings??"

as I said I don't condone what he did but the two situations are not even on the same planet, what he did was stupid and irresponsible and dangerous but not on the same scale as thousands of people at the demonstrations.

edinburgh

I see Uber Eats are giving free delivery if you order from a “black owned” restaurant.

Words fail me, they really do. In a time when people are supposed to be uniting in defeating the biggest threat to the human race this planet has ever seen there is still people and corporations trying to divide and conquer.

This is racism. That’s the beginning,the middle and the end off it.

Fair.

How about the crammed beaches recently? Or those clapping for the NHS on London Bridge? "

London bridge,irresponsible totally but on the same scale, no, no where near as many people involved so less risk, beaches yes, if they are crowded are not much different to the demonstrations,although I suspect on a beach far more people would separated by two meters than those marching down a street. Well that's my opinion anyway.

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

"I see Uber Eats are giving free delivery if you order from a “black owned” restaurant.

Words fail me, they really do. In a time when people are supposed to be uniting in defeating the biggest threat to the human race this planet has ever seen there is still people and corporations trying to divide and conquer.

This is racism. That’s the beginning,the middle and the end off it. "

No. It's a PR stunt......

salisbury

And people got bent out of shape because Cummings might have spread Corona from his car! fantastic!

North Bucks

"And people got bent out of shape because Cummings might have spread Corona from his car! fantastic! "

edinburgh

"I see Uber Eats are giving free delivery if you order from a “black owned” restaurant.

No. It's a PR stunt......"

If that is what you want to believe then you are part of the problem

NW London

"

That a company have decided to jump on a bandwagon and use it to cynically attempt to increase their profit margin?

Glasgow

"And people got bent out of shape because Cummings might have spread Corona from his car! fantastic! "

We're witnessing the outcome of Cummings idiocy, his actions legitimised the view that people could interpret the measures how they wanted to.

Obviously there needs to be personal responsibility too but Cummings aided & abetted the premature relaxation of the lockdown rules.

edinburgh

That a company have decided to jump on a bandwagon and use it to cynically attempt to increase their profit margin?"

They are using people’s skin colour for their own financial gain while at the same time discriminating against non black owned businesses. That is racism.

People like you are the reason they put instructions on shampoo bottles.

NW London

That a company have decided to jump on a bandwagon and use it to cynically attempt to increase their profit margin?

They are using people’s skin colour for their own financial gain while at the same time discriminating against non black owned businesses. That is racism.

People like you are the reason they put instructions on shampoo bottles."

Yes they are using skin colour for financial gain, no that is NOT racism. It's an exploitation of a legitimate movement for social change.

One rule for one and one rule for another then? I expect the protesters to get the same punishment as Cummings??So you think someone in his car with family is the same risk as being in a group of hundreds if not thousands unbelievable "

Rules are rules?

near ipswich

One rule for one and one rule for another then? I expect the protesters to get the same punishment as Cummings??So you think someone in his car with family is the same risk as being in a group of hundreds if not thousands unbelievable

Rules are rules? "

No answer then?

salisbury

"And people got bent out of shape because Cummings might have spread Corona from his car! fantastic!

We're witnessing the outcome of Cummings idiocy, his actions legitimised the view that people could interpret the measures how they wanted to.

Obviously there needs to be personal responsibility too but Cummings aided & abetted the premature relaxation of the lockdown rules."

Bullshit. Circumstantial whataboutery. Only an idiot would break a rule designed to protect their health because someone else did! Would you run a red light because a government adviser did?

Glasgow

"And people got bent out of shape because Cummings might have spread Corona from his car! fantastic!

Obviously there needs to be personal responsibility too but Cummings aided & abetted the premature relaxation of the lockdown rules.

Bullshit. Circumstantial whataboutery. Only an idiot would break a rule designed to protect their health because someone else did! Would you run a red light because a government adviser did? "

Please, the A level philosophy lesson's unnecessary.

Whether a fool or otherwise would break a rule intended to protect them is irrelevant, the government's role is to lead...and

the reality is that there exist a lot of fools to whom that leadership needs to be directed at, the rest of us (as I pointed out) are able to maintain a degree of personal responsibility.

Of course they do. But the far left and thugs are damaging the movement with activities that are no less than terrorism.

One rule for one and one rule for another then? I expect the protesters to get the same punishment as Cummings??So you think someone in his car with family is the same risk as being in a group of hundreds if not thousands unbelievable

Rules are rules? No answer then?"

Is it the same? Nope. Are both breaking the rules regarding lockdown ? Yep? What was Cummings punishment? Nothing? How should we punish the protesters?

salisbury

Bullshit. Circumstantial whataboutery. Only an idiot would break a rule designed to protect their health because someone else did! Would you run a red light because a government adviser did?

Please, the A level philosophy lesson's unnecessary.

Whether a fool or otherwise would break a rule intended to protect them is irrelevant, the government's role is to lead...and

the reality is that there exist a lot of fools to whom that leadership needs to be directed at, the rest of us (as I pointed out) are able to maintain a degree of personal responsibility."

Yes im sure all those protestors hang off every word the government utters...

Glasgow

"

Yes im sure all those protestors hang off every word the government utters... "

I'm not suggesting they do or that they're adopting the Dominic Cummings manual of best practice, but his revelations provided succour to a significant minority who were simply looking for an excuse to deviate from the guidance, after all how can law enforcement police effectively if the rules are flexible?

salisbury

"

I'm not suggesting they do or that they're adopting the Dominic Cummings manual of best practice, but his revelations provided succour to a significant minority who were simply looking for an excuse to deviate from the guidance, after all how can law enforcement police effectively if the rules are flexible?"

Did he also piss on the statue of churchill? Because that would explain the behaviour. You seem to be using "what about Cummings?" As a legitimate excuse.

salisbury

Stories now emerging that police moved on people who'd gone to protect the statue, allowing the monument to be vandalised and abused, all on June the 6th. Couldn't make it up.

"

I'm not suggesting they do or that they're adopting the Dominic Cummings manual of best practice, but his revelations provided succour to a significant minority who were simply looking for an excuse to deviate from the guidance, after all how can law enforcement police effectively if the rules are flexible?

Did he also piss on the statue of churchill? Because that would explain the behaviour. You seem to be using "what about Cummings?" As a legitimate excuse. "

Did all the protestors piss on his statue or was it a tiny minority?

"

Did he also piss on the statue of churchill? Because that would explain the behaviour. You seem to be using "what about Cummings?" As a legitimate excuse.

Did all the protestors piss on his statue or was it a tiny minority? "

This.

The amount of people I’ve seen generalise not only my race, but people who are on the other side to then politically is outstanding.

Most people aren’t racist.

Most people aren’t criminals.

Most people don’t support riots & violence.

Call out the people vandalising and basically turning this country upside down all means but don’t generalise.

By *eah BabyCouple  over a year ago

Cheshire, Windermere ,Cumbria

People want to compare Cummings outing to what’s gone on here, really? yes he should have been fined if the police believe he broke the law as that was what the punishment as people have called it is. As for this, well some of what’s gone on makes me despair. Yes every life matters, in fact every life equally matters, that includes the police, the police horses, the doctors and nurses that have now no doubt have the extra burden of injured people through rioting and violence and all the newly infected covid people there will no doubt be that they will now have to risk their own lives caring for oh and not forgetting the people who have to clean up the shambles and damage and destruction left behind by vandalism. I noticed there was another post on the forum saying is the UK a laughing stock of Europe because of how the government dealt with covid, well we’re certainly are a laughing stock now after this, I usually defend this country to the hilt with our Spanish neighbours but for once I am silent, makes me ashamed to how people behave in this country, yes protest but do it like humans not animals.

Black lives matter. Cummings is wrong in breaking the rules. The protestors in UK are also wrong in breaking the rules. Vandalism is also wrong.

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

"Bullshit. Circumstantial whataboutery."

Your specialist subjects.

salisbury

"Bullshit. Circumstantial whataboutery.

Your specialist subjects."

Just holding your mirror up mate.

Disgusting treatment of our finest ever leaders statue, Winston Churchill, a great man and defender of freedom, appalling thing to do, shame on them, for disrespectful treatment to his memory, do you think Hitler would put up with their bullshit?

derby

The legitimate voice of black lives matter is being drowned out by a violent minority

London

"Disgusting treatment of our finest ever leaders statue, Winston Churchill, a great man and defender of freedom, appalling thing to do, shame on them, for disrespectful treatment to his memory, do you think Hitler would put up with their bullshit? "

I have to say the randomness of bringing up Hitler here made me laugh, thank you.

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Ok getting back to OP after the usual detour down racist lane with the usual faces popping up.

OP You are right, All Lives Matter means nothing until Black Lives Matter Also.

Only the feeble of wit and reason will fail to understand this, yet sadly they will try to argue their way out of this.

By *assagesXxXMan  over a year ago

ickenham

[Removed by poster at 08/06/20 03:08:24]

ickenham

Totally agree.

ickenham

Trump is a what ?!? WHY ? What you ever done for the Black community ? Trump has employed more Black people then all previous Presidents combined. He doesn’t just “talk” he does. If under Obama the US turned to Trump then it’s an issue with Obama and the Democrats who did NOTHING, not America became racist ! Otherwise Obama would have only served 1 term !!!

ickenham

Look up Candace Rose and her video on why George Floyd is NOT and should NOT be a symbol of Black empowerment. I have to agree, their are cultural issues within the Black community that must be addressed.

Ipswich

I support the principle of BLM, of course I do. In fact I don't know of a single person who has said that black lives don't matter, nobody that would be taken seriously at least. A bad policeman killed an innocent man and he will rightly stand trial for his crime. The problem with these mass demonstrations is that for the majority of people who actually couldn't give a hoot about the colour of somebody's skin it now feels like all the progress that has been made has all been for nothing. These protests are actually causing division where there was none before and the reaction seems to come from a standpoint of believing that society is still just as racist as it was 150 years ago - it isn't. It's a bit like trying to kill the s in your garden using a steam roller - you end up killing a lot of flowers too

Ipswich

*its a bit like trying to kill the s in your garden using a steam roller- you end up killing a lot of flowers too*

salisbury

My take away from the weekend, is essentially that if you're anti- churchill, you must be pro-hitler. That guy now a hero to antifa.

Ipswich

"*its a bit like trying to kill the s in your garden using a steam roller- you end up killing a lot of flowers too*"

*So apparently you can't use the word wee ds on the forum

Glasgow

"

Did he also piss on the statue of churchill? Because that would explain the behaviour. You seem to be using "what about Cummings?" As a legitimate excuse. "

You seem to be confusing me with someone who's sympathetic with criminal and anti social behaviour.

Disrespectful as it was, Churchill didn't actually get urinated on, it was a lump of carved stone, so perhaps we should reserve the moral indignation for police officers/society who believe it's ok to execute a real human being in broad daylight?

salisbury

I see now that being able to call the police to attend my property is also white privilege. It's now obvious how the defunding of the police should help end racism for good. And the world hasn't gone mad after all.

salisbury

"

You seem to be confusing me with someone who's sympathetic with criminal and anti social behaviour.

Disrespectful as it was, Churchill didn't actually get urinated on, it was a lump of carved stone, so perhaps we should reserve the moral indignation for police officers/society who believe it's ok to execute a real human being in broad daylight?"

Crazy isn't it? I mean, it's not as if anyone made a cartoon of him.

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

Just holding your mirror up mate. "

LOL You wish. Feeble, empty, reply - as always. You've literally nothing to say. Ever.

North Bucks

"I see now that being able to call the police to attend my property is also white privilege. It's now obvious how the defunding of the police should help end racism for good. And the world hasn't gone mad after all. "

I wouldn’t worry about the Police being defunded in the UK. People been blaming the Tory party for underfunding it for years and been calling for it to be funded correctly. Why would they suddenly change their mind?

salisbury

"I see now that being able to call the police to attend my property is also white privilege. It's now obvious how the defunding of the police should help end racism for good. And the world hasn't gone mad after all.

I wouldn’t worry about the Police being defunded in the UK. People been blaming the Tory party for underfunding it for years and been calling for it to be funded correctly. Why would they suddenly change their mind? "

salisbury

Just holding your mirror up mate.

LOL You wish. Feeble, empty, reply - as always. You've literally nothing to say. Ever."

Yet i can always fish out a reply from you. #livinginyourheadrentfree

Winston Churchill still matters today, and so does his memory, if it wasn't for him, we could be living in a nazi ruled country, and do you think the nazis would allow these protests? The gestapo would soon put you in a concentration camp. Disgusting disrespectful treatment of a true national heroes, memory, shame on them.

Glasgow

"Winston Churchill still matters today, and so does his memory, if it wasn't for him, we could be living in a nazi ruled country, and do you think the nazis would allow these protests? The gestapo would soon put you in a concentration camp. Disgusting disrespectful treatment of a true national heroes, memory, shame on them. "

Interesting how some people can become extremely ventilated over the abuse of the memory of a long dead icon, yet are unable to appreciate the historical context of the protestors grievance, some of whom are enduring the same treatment that was apparent in Churchill's day and before.

"Winston Churchill still matters today, and so does his memory, if it wasn't for him, we could be living in a nazi ruled country, and do you think the nazis would allow these protests? The gestapo would soon put you in a concentration camp. Disgusting disrespectful treatment of a true national heroes, memory, shame on them.

Interesting how some people can become extremely ventilated over the abuse of the memory of a long dead icon, yet are unable to appreciate the historical context of the protestors grievance, some of whom are enduring the same treatment that was apparent in Churchill's day and before."

Very interesting isn’t it. It’s almost as if some people pick and choose when to be outraged.

I don’t agree with the vandalism of any statue, still amusing to see people be outraged over it but not outraged at police brutality (regardless of race).

Ipswich

The UK and the US are probably the LEAST racist societies in the world and yet somehow are being caricatured as the MOST racist. A bad cop killed a man in the US and suddenly everybody is acting like all the police in Minnesota are somehow institutionally racist but not only in Minnesota, all the police in the US must be institutionally racist. They then attacked the police here because somehow now all the police in the UK are institutionally racist

Unfortunately the main thing people are now going to remember about the killing of an innocent man is the complete and utter hysteria that followed. And that's a shame and a great disservice to the man who was unjustly killed

Newcastle and Gateshead

"The UK and the US are probably the LEAST racist societies in the world and yet somehow are being caricatured as the MOST racist. A bad cop killed a man in the US and suddenly everybody is acting like all the police in Minnesota are somehow institutionally racist but not only in Minnesota, all the police in the US must be institutionally racist. They then attacked the police here because somehow now all the police in the UK are institutionally racist

Unfortunately the main thing people are now going to remember about the killing of an innocent man is the complete and utter hysteria that followed. And that's a shame and a great disservice to the man who was unjustly killed"

least racist doesn't mean racism doesn't exist.... so don't be giving yourself a pat on the back and running that victory lap quite yet!

this happens again and again and again.... you are prepared to put up with bad cops.... are you prepared to put up with bad pilots? or bad doctors?? no??? you hold them to a higher standard...

i want police to be held to that standard!!! i want accountability!!!

"be better" for god sake!!!

"The UK and the US are probably the LEAST racist societies in the world and yet somehow are being caricatured as the MOST racist. A bad cop killed a man in the US and suddenly everybody is acting like all the police in Minnesota are somehow institutionally racist but not only in Minnesota, all the police in the US must be institutionally racist. They then attacked the police here because somehow now all the police in the UK are institutionally racist

Unfortunately the main thing people are now going to remember about the killing of an innocent man is the complete and utter hysteria that followed. And that's a shame and a great disservice to the man who was unjustly killed"

The least racist is still racist.

All countries have racism of course.

I’m sick of reading comments everywhere online such as “The U.K. is the most tolerant country” of “The U.K. is the least racist” it’s almost as if some are trying to disregard some people’s experiences of racism with those comments.

Unfortunately the main thing people are now going to remember about the killing of an innocent man is the complete and utter hysteria that followed. And that's a shame and a great disservice to the man who was unjustly killed

least racist doesn't mean racism doesn't exist.... so don't be giving yourself a pat on the back and running that victory lap quite yet!

this happens again and again and again.... you are prepared to put up with bad cops.... are you prepared to put up with bad pilots? or bad doctors?? no??? you hold them to a higher standard...

"be better" for god sake!!!"

This.

I watched a video the other day from a guy in America who stated training to be a barber takes longer than a police officer, I don’t know how that true that is, but if it is true, that’s shocking.

London

"The UK and the US are probably the LEAST racist societies in the world and yet somehow are being caricatured as the MOST racist."

You are absolutely delusional to think the US is one of the least racist societies.

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"Winston Churchill still matters today, and so does his memory, if it wasn't for him, we could be living in a nazi ruled country, and do you think the nazis would allow these protests? The gestapo would soon put you in a concentration camp. Disgusting disrespectful treatment of a true national heroes, memory, shame on them. "

Churchill was a dividing figure.

Without excusing the vandalism the link to nazism is bizarre.

liverpool

"Winston Churchill still matters today, and so does his memory, if it wasn't for him, we could be living in a nazi ruled country, and do you think the nazis would allow these protests? The gestapo would soon put you in a concentration camp. Disgusting disrespectful treatment of a true national heroes, memory, shame on them.

Interesting how some people can become extremely ventilated over the abuse of the memory of a long dead icon, yet are unable to appreciate the historical context of the protestors grievance, some of whom are enduring the same treatment that was apparent in Churchill's day and before.

Very interesting isn’t it. It’s almost as if some people pick and choose when to be outraged.

I don’t agree with the vandalism of any statue, still amusing to see people be outraged over it but not outraged at police brutality (regardless of race). "

Very true

liverpool

I'm not sure how you measure the level of racism tbh.

In some ways we are one of the most tolerant and diverse countries on the planet.On the other we have a colonial past built on racism which is played on to this day.We saw that with brexit.

America prides itself as leader of the free world but has deeply ingrained racism going back decades and a racist as president.

Ipswich

In some ways we are one of the most tolerant and diverse countries on the planet.On the other we have a colonial past built on racism which is played on to this day.We saw that with brexit.

America prides itself as leader of the free world but has deeply ingrained racism going back decades and a racist as president."

But what does a colonial past have to do with any of this? Are you saying that all the work by the black community that has been done in the intervening decades hasn't changed anything? I think they would feel differently

Almost every country that has ever existed have done things that by today's standards would be considered abhorrent, it doesn't make that country today somehow institutionally racist nor does having a clown for a president make all of America racist

liverpool

America prides itself as leader of the free world but has deeply ingrained racism going back decades and a racist as president.

But what does a colonial past have to do with any of this? Are you saying that all the work by the black community that has been done in the intervening decades hasn't changed anything? I think they would feel differently

Almost every country that has ever existed have done things that by today's standards would be considered abhorrent, it doesn't make that country today somehow institutionally racist nor does having a clown for a president make all of America racist "

Because we have an inherent superiority complex in this country with an unhealthy obsession with the war (look at the words of rule Britannia)

Like I said though in other aspects we are extremely tolerant.You cant say 1 country is inherently racist.

Its the same with america..a country built on immigration but with also a decades long civil rights struggle.

Ipswich

Almost every country that has ever existed have done things that by today's standards would be considered abhorrent, it doesn't make that country today somehow institutionally racist nor does having a clown for a president make all of America racist

Because we have an inherent superiority complex in this country with an unhealthy obsession with the war (look at the words of rule Britannia)

Like I said though in other aspects we are extremely tolerant.You cant say 1 country is inherently racist.

Its the same with america..a country built on immigration but with also a decades long civil rights struggle."

So you want lump the entire country together and say we all have a superiority complex? Now imagine if I lumped all of Syria together and said they were all terrorists. Come on

liverpool

Its the same with america..a country built on immigration but with also a decades long civil rights struggle.

So you want lump the entire country together and say we all have a superiority complex? Now imagine if I lumped all of Syria together and said they were all terrorists. Come on "

I said you cannot say 1 country is inherently racist.

salisbury

This weekend has been a wet dream for the resident forum baizou. The gift that keeps on giving...

Ipswich

So you want lump the entire country together and say we all have a superiority complex? Now imagine if I lumped all of Syria together and said they were all terrorists. Come on

I said you cannot say 1 country is inherently racist."

You said we have a superiority complex in this country. I thought we agreed that it wasn't good to lump together sections of society let alone an entire country

And let's be honest, these protests had very little to do with people wanting to end police brutality and everything to do with people wanting to end the lockdown

liverpool

I said you cannot say 1 country is inherently racist.

You said we have a superiority complex in this country. I thought we agreed that it wasn't good to lump together sections of society let alone an entire country

And let's be honest, these protests had very little to do with people wanting to end police brutality and everything to do with people wanting to end the lockdown "

I keep saying its not The country but I do think we have a culture in this country where we are somehow better than everyone else.There are countless examples of it..'we'won The war,we dont want Europe to tell us what to do,let's make Britain great again,rule Britannia.You could argue that this is simply patriotism but if I had to say where racism comes from its probally here.

Of course it's in the gmnts interests to stoke this and we saw the worst excesses of it in the run upto Brexit (The mail on a daily basis)

I dont know about the protests..I'm assuming they were sparked by events in America but probally not the brightest thing to do right now.

Newcastle and Gateshead

i just think it is interesting that you "skipped" over the reply to your post by the black man and the black woman, both stating that "least racist" doesn't mean racist doesn't exist...

just putting that out there........

Of course it exists. Anyone would be stupid to say that it doesn't. I do however think that in GB we judge people whether they are a c**t or not. People are people. Irrelevant of race or colour. However, having spent time in the U.S. I have to admit there is a huge problem (from all sides) It is a disease we do not want over here.

"i just think it is interesting that you "skipped" over the reply to your post by the black man and the black woman, both stating that "least racist" doesn't mean racist doesn't exist...

just putting that out there........"

Silence is deafening.

"be better" for god sake!!!

Of course it exists. Anyone would be stupid to say that it doesn't. I do however think that in GB we judge people whether they are a c**t or not. People are people. Irrelevant of race or colour. However, having spent time in the U.S. I have to admit there is a huge problem (from all sides) It is a disease we do not want over here."

As someone who has experienced racism I’ll tell you, in the U.K. it’s very underhanded and not so in your face. It tends to be snide comments, being patronised or similar.

I’ve experienced in your face racism and underhanded, when you address the underhanded racism those who have done it go into full on defence offended mode and try to paint you as aggressive for not liking something they said.

I thought the video of George Floyd's murder was very upsetting, I was appalled, and I hope the perpetrators get the full weight of the law thrown at them and his family gets the justice he deserves. I just don't see the point of destroying historical monuments, you can't judge historical figures by the standards of today.

By *bonybbwWoman  over a year ago

London

I like many others would like to see changes but its never going to happen. How is 2020 any different from previous years when things like this is has happened before? Its sad but true.

To get on in life we have to accept others in this world will not like you for different reasons including the colour of our skin and of course will treat you differently for it and in some cases go out of their way to make life difficult for you. Which of course is wrong but that’s how some people are.

Sadly the past cannot be erased. I was in Bristol a while back and remember walking along the harbour seeing its surroundings. The views were so lovely. I felt at peace there and at the time kind of knew why due to its history.

Today like any other person I entered a shop I regularly buy from. I was followed around the shop by a security guard. This has happened often in other shops I go to. I complained before to the manager who basically called me a liar for making such accusations! I’ve even confronted a security guard over this and in fact, did so just the other day again as I had enough of it. Why would I start to have sticky fingers in shops where I have been a loyal customer for many years before they started to ‘work’ there?

In their minds they are properly thinking hopefully this time I enter the shop she will slip up and pick up an item and not pay for it and try to walk out proving that she is a thief as they suspected all along.

salisbury

"I thought the video of George Floyd's murder was very upsetting, I was appalled, and I hope the perpetrators get the full weight of the law thrown at them and his family gets the justice he deserves. I just don't see the point of destroying historical monuments, you can't judge historical figures by the standards of today. "

Britain led the way in abolishing slavery. In 1833 we bought the freedom of every slave in the Empire, and each of us happily paid for it with our taxes until 2015. I say it's time everyone was educated. Leave the statues up and educate passers by with information shaming the slave trader. If you pull them all down, one day there'll be no reminders of the sins of our fathers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_Abolition_Act_1833

Chudleigh

"I thought the video of George Floyd's murder was very upsetting, I was appalled, and I hope the perpetrators get the full weight of the law thrown at them and his family gets the justice he deserves. I just don't see the point of destroying historical monuments, you can't judge historical figures by the standards of today.

Britain led the way in abolishing slavery. In 1833 we bought the freedom of every slave in the Empire, and each of us happily paid for it with our taxes until 2015. I say it's time everyone was educated. Leave the statues up and educate passers by with information shaming the slave trader. If you pull them all down, one day there'll be no reminders of the sins of our fathers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_Abolition_Act_1833"

Perhaps look beyond Wikipedia and bring real history...

“ The slave trade was actually abolished in 1807. The 1833 Slavery Abolition Act abolished, as the name suggests, slavery itself. A Treasury so loose with its facts might explain something about the state of the British economy. Worse, however, was the claim that British taxpayers helped “buy freedom for slaves”. The government certainly shelled out £20m (about £16bn today) in 1833. Not to free slaves but to line the pockets of 46,000 British slave owners as “recompense” for losing their “property”. Having grown rich on the profits of an obscene trade, slave owners grew richer still from its ending. That, scandalously, was what the taxpayer was paying for until 2015.”

A somewhat different take on it really #BLM

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

I agree with what Fabio said.

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

Except that it's far more shocking when a person is killed by those who are meant to be protecting them whether either is black, white or anything else.

I would also imagine it's a lot more frightening if you know that just because of your colour you are far more likely to be killed by those who are meant to be protecting you than other people are

Charles the second and his brother James were founding partners of the company that Colston became chief of? Anyone pulling their statues down?

Im getting bored of this now, my 6th thread about race topics!

If someone at a funeral for someone they loved says they mattered, and then someone else said yes but everyone matters, would that be appropriate?

BAME are more likely to die of covid19 so the fact that we are all out protesting should tell you what we consider the greater threat.

The looters are not part of the protest. You don't take hammers,brooms and other such items to a protest. Looters are taking advantage of police attention being elsewhere.

It's easy for someone who walks everywhere relatively comfortably to say get over yourself, have you ever been stopped and searched 4 times in an hour? Have you ever had people tell you outright you aren't welcome or make micro-aggresive comments about jerk chicken or curry smells?

Lee Rigby was not murdered by two coloured guys, he was murdered by two terrorists, and this isn't helpful because we should hold police and those in authority to greater accountability than a terrorist organisation surely!

Anyone who says that Edward Colston opened schools and alms houses and hospitals so he couldn't have been all bad is wrong!

Jimmy Saville raised plenty of attention and money for charity - yet no one would defend him and rightly so!

I need a break from these forums constantly going on about race and not understanding how people of a BAME background, born in Britain feel! You just don't get that having been born here and having my life here there are times you still feel like an outsider, and if you aren't BAME you won't ever understand!

By *ain n MableWoman  over a year ago

Milton Keynes

Except that it's far more shocking when a person is killed by those who are meant to be protecting them whether either is black, white or anything else.

I would also imagine it's a lot more frightening if you know that just because of your colour you are far more likely to be killed by those who are meant to be protecting you than other people are

"

You mean like the white people of Zimbabwe? We all seem to live in a Western World bubble. Forgetting what happens elsewhere. Well unfortunately racism is rife the world over and it effects all colour of people. It's a disease.

Widnes

"

I had a white friend who had the same experience, what can this mean?

That black people are as hypocritical, inconsistent and prejudiced as anyone else... who'd have thunk it?! "

If course some are hypocritical, inconsistent and prejudiced just like anyone else. They've people, just like everyone else.

Widnes

"Stories now emerging that police moved on people who'd gone to protect the statue, allowing the monument to be vandalised and abused, all on June the 6th. Couldn't make it up. "

The people who went to 'protect' the Churchill statue where from the Football Lads group. I really don't think they where to help the Police "keep the peace".

Widnes

"

Did all the protestors piss on his statue or was it a tiny minority? "

Well obviously it was all of them.

Widnes

"

This.

The amount of people I’ve seen generalise not only my race, but people who are on the other side to then politically is outstanding.

Call out the people vandalising and basically turning this country upside down all means but don’t generalise.

"

umm. I'm not sure that I would agree that most people are not racist. In my experience nearly everyone is racist to a greater or lesser extent. When I lived in Vauxhall in the 80s I know I was always a lot more worried if I sure a group of black guys heading towards me than I was if a group of white guys were. Not saying it was right or justifiable, and I never had any trouble either, but the truth is I was more worried. The problem of racism is deeply ingrained in us all. We can only begin to address it if and when we realise that.

On a more pedantic not, while your comments were quite positive generalisation they were actually generalisations themselves.

"

This.

umm. I'm not sure that I would agree that most people are not racist. In my experience nearly everyone is racist to a greater or lesser extent. When I lived in Vauxhall in the 80s I know I was always a lot more worried if I sure a group of black guys heading towards me than I was if a group of white guys were. Not saying it was right or justifiable, and I never had any trouble either, but the truth is I was more worried. The problem of racism is deeply ingrained in us all. We can only begin to address it if and when we realise that.

On a more pedantic not, while your comments were quite positive generalisation they were actually generalisations themselves. "

Every comment about people as a whole is generalisation. Still a generalisation of “Not everyone is bad” is quite a bit better than “Most are bad” don’t you think?

I don’t believe everyone is racist. You’re welcome to consider yourself as such but I can’t recall a time when I’ve ever considered a group of people inferior or stereotyped them based on nothing other than their ethnicity, likely because I’ve been around people of different ethnicities since I could remember.

I’ll simplify it for you. Most people don’t hate other people just for the colour of their skin.

Hope that clarifies.

Widnes

"Look up Candace Rose and her video on why George Floyd is NOT and should NOT be a symbol of Black empowerment. I have to agree, their are cultural issues within the Black community that must be addressed. "

I think you mean Candice Owens.

I agree with some of what she says. George Floyd was not a martyr; he was a convicted criminal who at the time he was rightly arrested was in the process of committing a crime.

However the crime he committed (passing counterfeit money) does not carry the death penalty in any civilised society, unlike the crime committed by the person who killed him.

Widnes

So you want lump the entire country together and say we all have a superiority complex? Now imagine if I lumped all of Syria together and said they were all terrorists. Come on "

OK; I've imagined that. Now what?

Widnes

"

This.

On a more pedantic not, while your comments were quite positive generalisation they were actually generalisations themselves.

Every comment about people as a whole is generalisation. Still a generalisation of “Not everyone is bad” is quite a bit better than “Most are bad” don’t you think?

I don’t believe everyone is racist. You’re welcome to consider yourself as such but I can’t recall a time when I’ve ever considered a group of people inferior or stereotyped them based on nothing other than their ethnicity, likely because I’ve been around people of different ethnicities since I could remember.

I’ll simplify it for you. Most people don’t hate other people just for the colour of their skin.

Hope that clarifies. "

The bit about generalisations was meant a bit tongue-in-cheek but "Most people don’t hate other people just for the colour of their skin" is definitely a way better generalisation.

London

That's a good joke. There is plenty of racism in UK. I come from Eastern Europe and in the few years I lived in UK, I saw more racism than in my entire life living in Eastern Europe. Funny thing is that people try to pretend that they are no racist, but as soon as the black guy leaves the room the racist jokes start ( or the muslim guy, or the asian guy). Another interesting case was then a family disowned a daughter for dating a black guy, she could only return home after they split up or the whole family disowned a cousin for marrying a black guy for the entire her entire life.

In general I dont care much about racism, as we don't see almost any racism here ( you cant be racist against black people, then there are no black people here?) So in Eastern Europe it's a different kind of racism, more like a fear of the unknown. But UK surely has some special case of racism over there

Ipswich

"i just think it is interesting that you "skipped" over the reply to your post by the black man and the black woman, both stating that "least racist" doesn't mean racist doesn't exist...

just putting that out there........"

Not sure if this was for me but who said that racism doesn't exist?

Ipswich

That's a good joke. There is plenty of racism in UK. I come from Eastern Europe and in the few years I lived in UK, I saw more racism than in my entire life living in Eastern Europe. Funny thing is that people try to pretend that they are no racist, but as soon as the black guy leaves the room the racist jokes start ( or the muslim guy, or the asian guy). Another interesting case was then a family disowned a daughter for dating a black guy, she could only return home after they split up or the whole family disowned a cousin for marrying a black guy for the entire her entire life.

In general I dont care much about racism, as we don't see almost any racism here ( you cant be racist against black people, then there are no black people here?) So in Eastern Europe it's a different kind of racism, more like a fear of the unknown. But UK surely has some special case of racism over there "

Again, I didn't say racism doesn't exist