FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Protection for our War Heroes

Protection for our War Heroes

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *atEvolution OP   Couple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

. . . Love your Country. Support your Troops . . . Racism should be a thing of the past . . .

https://news.sky.com/story/labour-to-support-10-year-jail-sentences-for-war-memorial-vandals-12006535

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

Ooops sorry Mods - maybe this should be in Politics.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

just for the sake of a comparison... do you know what the average sentence is for ra pe

its 8 yrs....

nice to know what tory mps priorities actually are.......

Actually the Sexual Offences Act was set in 2003 by the Blair Labour Government.

By *asIsaCouple  over a year ago

harrow

"just for the sake of a comparison... do you know what the average sentence is for ra pe

its 8 yrs....

nice to know what tory mps priorities actually are......."

Labour MPs agreeing with their Tory counterparts

"just for the sake of a comparison... do you know what the average sentence is for ra pe

its 8 yrs....

Labour MPs agreeing with their Tory counterparts "

As good governance should

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

its 8 yrs....

Other than the fact it was passed by a previous government... And that the judiciary are independent, Don't let the facts get in the way of your view.

By *eavenscentitCouple  over a year ago

barnstaple

" . . . Love your Country. Support your Troops . . . Racism should be a thing of the past . . .

https://news.sky.com/story/labour-to-support-10-year-jail-sentences-for-war-memorial-vandals-12006535"

10yrs ! For crappy war memorial

By *00STERMan  over a year ago

nearby

Just hope they enforce it and some soft judge does not let them of with a mild telling off ..

By *tu227Man  over a year ago

Brentwood

its 8 yrs....

Actually it's life. I'm guessing you're not a lawyer? https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/rape-and-sexual-offences-chapter-19-sentencing

By *kstallionMan  over a year ago

milton keynes

its 8 yrs....

Other than the fact it was passed by a previous government... And that the judiciary are independent, Don't let the facts get in the way of your view. "

Newcastle and Gateshead

its 8 yrs....

Actually it's life. I'm guessing you're not a lawyer? https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/rape-and-sexual-offences-chapter-19-sentencing "

no.... the guidence says life, the actually statistics of the home office website says 8 years....

I will not accept any legislation that is kneejerk...

this is kneejerk....

its 8 yrs....

Actually it's life. I'm guessing you're not a lawyer? https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/rape-and-sexual-offences-chapter-19-sentencing

no.... the guidence says life, the actually statistics of the home office website says 8 years....

this is kneejerk...."

#

But you do accept that Actually the Sexual Offences Act was set in 2003 by the Blair Labour Government. ??

By *al2001Man  over a year ago

kildare

How many ww2 war hero's did Boris kill off with his ineptitude and he's still in office,nevermind prison sentence

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

" . . . Love your Country. Support your Troops . . . Racism should be a thing of the past . . .

https://news.sky.com/story/labour-to-support-10-year-jail-sentences-for-war-memorial-vandals-12006535"

Jesus Christ

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 14/06/20 17:52:20]

Newcastle and Gateshead

i don't care who is what set up by.... if you potentially could more for scribbling on something than a sexual assault... that says to me your priorities are in the wrong place.....

thats why this is warped and kneejerk....

if you want to bring this in... get rid of contenious statues first... then think about the consequence...

who gets to decide what is contenious?

By *osweet69Couple  over a year ago

portsmouth

https://news.sky.com/story/labour-to-support-10-year-jail-sentences-for-war-memorial-vandals-12006535

10yrs ! For crappy war memorial "

Wow what a crappy comment to make.

liverpool

"i don't care who is what set up by.... if you potentially could more for scribbling on something than a sexual assault... that says to me your priorities are in the wrong place.....

if you want to bring this in... get rid of contenious statues first... then think about the consequence...

"

Jumping on a bandwagon.

By *osweet69Couple  over a year ago

portsmouth

its 8 yrs....

this is kneejerk...."

Like the gun control laws?

"

"

The elected government of the day perhaps? And with the support of the Opposition by the sounds of it.

It's Democracy. We vote for who we want and live with those consequences until the next Election.

liverpool

"

The elected government of the day perhaps? And with the support of the Opposition by the sounds of it.

It's Democracy. We vote for who we want and live with those consequences until the next Election.

"

10 years?for a bit of graffiti?

Nice to see they have their priorities in order

Tell that to the millions who have lost their lives in wars for this country.

My grandfather would be turning in his grave.

What a shocking thing to say .

How dare you .

"

Nice to see they have their priorities in order"

Both Conservative and Labour.

liverpool

"

Both Conservative and Labour. "

Im not discriminating

By *heIcebreakersCouple  over a year ago

Cramlington

its 8 yrs....

Other than the fact it was passed by a previous government... And that the judiciary are independent, Don't let the facts get in the way of your view. "

Or indeed your ignorance of the role of the Sentencing Council, which is part of the Ministry of Justice.

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

"

okay then... so use a real life example?

Edward Colston.... (him of the statue dumped in bristol)

Problematic for all sorts of reasons.... So should "someone" get 10 years for doing what they did?

milton keynes

"i don't care who is what set up by.... if you potentially could more for scribbling on something than a sexual assault... that says to me your priorities are in the wrong place.....

"

In your first post you mentioned Tory mp's now you have been shown it was Labour that set it up all of a sudden you don't care

"

Im not discriminating

"

The problem is that because of what is happening now they have to deal with it now.

How dare you

."

liverpool

"

Im not discriminating

The problem is that because of what is happening now they have to deal with it now.

"

They have to deal with it because the likes of the mail are having a full on meltdown.

10 years is utterly ridiculous.

Most sensible gmnts would be trying to put less strain on an underfunded over stretched prison service

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

its 8 yrs....

this is kneejerk...."

So for we memorials the law will say 10 years but reality will be loser to 10 days

milton keynes

How dare you ."

"

Problematic for all sorts of reasons.... So should "someone" get 10 years for doing what they did?

"

No. Actually I don't think that they should get 10 years - but there should be some legal penalty - but then people shouldn't be tearing down statues, or anything else in a Democracy.

Newcastle and Gateshead

How dare you ."

my grandad also fought in WW2..... i am betting my grandad experience as a black soldier was different to your grandads... during the war, and after the war!!!!

mine then wanted better rights for his children and grandchildren!

so how dare you use that card......

"

"

Na they should get a pat on the back for dumping that piece of shit in the harbour

nearby

"

"

Yes ... two wrongs don’t make a right. It is still vandalism. There are other ways to deal with it crime is not the way.

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

No. Actually I don't think that they should get 10 years - but there should be some legal penalty - but then people shouldn't be tearing down statues, or anything else in a Democracy.

"

okay then.... lets use someone else......

Oliver Cromwell..... Statues in england, very questionable record when it comes to things "ireland" related......

again.... statues stay or go?

liverpool

"

"

People shouldnt be doing lots of things.

1 statue gets toppled and the country goes haywire

nearby

"

Oliver Cromwell..... Statues in england, very questionable record when it comes to things "ireland" related......

again.... statues stay or go?"

It’s not about whether they should stay or go it’s about the matter in which they are removed. Illegally is never the right way.

liverpool

"

Na they should get a pat on the back for dumping that piece of shit in the harbour "

"

Why not put them all in museusms then the people who want to go and look at them, for whatever reasons, can still do so. And those who don't wish to be forced to look at them everyday as they go about their business don't have to either. Win win surely??

liverpool

"

It’s not about whether they should stay or go it’s about the matter in which they are removed. Illegally is never the right way."

Isnt this about vandalism?

liverpool

"

Why not put them all in museusms then the people who want to go and look at them, for whatever reasons, can still do so. And those who don't wish to be forced to look at them everyday as they go about their business don't have to either. Win win surely??"

Think that's The most sensible option

milton keynes

"

"

Indeed

If we allow vandalism like this to go unpunished where will it end. We have laws for a reason. I have no problem with people being angered by certain people from history but it does not give them the right to break the law. Why has it happened now? The statues have been up for ages why was they not angry then

"

While we can have the luxury of a leisure time debate on a forum like this - vandalism is taking place right now - and that is what Government (both sides is dealing with right now). One can't argue a point of violence while practicing violence.

liverpool

"

Indeed

If we allow vandalism like this to go unpunished where will it end. We have laws for a reason. I have no problem with people being angered by certain people from history but it does not give them the right to break the law. Why has it happened now? The statues have been up for ages why was they not angry then"

If you write on a wall you get told off

If you write on a statue you get 10 years

Perfectly logical

By *penbicoupleCouple  over a year ago

Northampton

I'd give them a medal instead!

milton keynes

"

"

With that logic all crime is permissible by everyone.

Laws being broken somewhere is no excuse to break more laws

nearby

"

Indeed

If we allow vandalism like this to go unpunished where will it end. We have laws for a reason. I have no problem with people being angered by certain people from history but it does not give them the right to break the law. Why has it happened now? The statues have been up for ages why was they not angry then

Perfectly logical"

The difference is the significance behind the statue especially when it comes to a war memorial and the lives that they represent. A wall is just a wall a war memorial represents so much more.

Newcastle and Gateshead

okay... lets use an example of someone you may never have heard of...... just for fun.....

There is a statue of Robert Clive, the former mayor of Shrewsbury and first British governor of Bengal, in the Shropshire town’s main square.

Clive, a military officer and East India Company official, amassed a huge personal fortune by seizing control of a vast swathe of India and surrounding parts of Asia. He oversaw atrocities including famines caused by disastrous crop production policies, and has been described by historian William Dalrymple as an “unstable sociopath”.

so.... statue up.... or statue down?

I'd give them a medal instead! "

A medal for the desecration of the memory of millions of souls that gave their today for our tomorrows?

milton keynes

"okay... lets use an example of someone you may never have heard of...... just for fun.....

There is a statue of Robert Clive, the former mayor of Shrewsbury and first British governor of Bengal, in the Shropshire town’s main square.

Clive, a military officer and East India Company official, amassed a huge personal fortune by seizing control of a vast swathe of India and surrounding parts of Asia. He oversaw atrocities including famines caused by disastrous crop production policies, and has been described by historian William Dalrymple as an “unstable sociopath”.

so.... statue up.... or statue down?"

UP until its is democratically and peacefully decided to be removed

nearby

"okay... lets use an example of someone you may never have heard of...... just for fun.....

Yet again you distract from the point at hand - this is not about not having discussions about the removal of statues in public spaces it’s about not having them removed by vandalism and illegal action.

Get them all down and stick them in a museum

Fucking ugly things anyway

By *ichaelsmyMan  over a year ago

douglas

lets try and knock the chip off your shoulder then.

nelson mandela

mahatma ghandi

they both have "dodgy" back grounds. are you suggesting that those statues should also be taken down?

Removed to The World Museum in Liverpool. I don't know of one in Shropshire.

But the point is 'Democratic Removal' Not Vandalism.

liverpool

"

Laws being broken somewhere is no excuse to break more laws"

No..you are seriously suggesting 10 years for a bit of graffiti is proportionate?

By *ap d agde coupleCouple  over a year ago

Herne Bay

Should have got 20 years

By *arlomaleMan  over a year ago

darlington

nelson mandela

mahatma ghandi

they both have "dodgy" back grounds. are you suggesting that those statues should also be taken down?

"

Nelson was a saint compared to his vile wife

liverpool

"

Indeed

Perfectly logical

The difference is the significance behind the statue especially when it comes to a war memorial and the lives that they represent. A wall is just a wall a war memorial represents so much more. "

Well there is a whole debate there about the hypocrisy of a gmnt building monuments to the war dead whilst still starting pointless wars and selling arms to murderous regimes.

However I agree vandalism a monument is wrong

10 years imprisonment is pandering to the mail.

milton keynes

"

No..you are seriously suggesting 10 years for a bit of graffiti is proportionate?"

Where did I say that?

I replied to your post where the previous poster had clearly said they should not get 10 years.

The punishment will be decided by the court's using the law introduced by labour ages ago

I can't understand how people think that because crime happens somewhere it ok to happen again

liverpool

"

No..you are seriously suggesting 10 years for a bit of graffiti is proportionate?

Where did I say that?

I replied to your post where the previous poster had clearly said they should not get 10 years.

The punishment will be decided by the court's using the law introduced by labour ages ago

I can't understand how people think that because crime happens somewhere it ok to happen again"

I didn't say that.Crike occurs every day and when they are caught They are punished.

My point was a Tiny no of minor crimes have generated hysterical headlines and had not been accompanied by ridiculous sentences.

Newcastle and Gateshead

nelson mandela

mahatma ghandi

"

why would those be "problematic" to me in particular???? just curious as to your assumption....

any reason why??? go on.... you know you want to say it so don't just infer it!!!

me, i predominately believe that statues are basically for museums..... history is taught in books, not statues!

there are mainly there as a big FU to the oppressed.....

How dare you ."

Would he not be sick to the stomach to see people British people sieg heiling at the cenotaph??

By *andy 1Couple  over a year ago

northeast

[Removed by poster at 14/06/20 18:53:23]

The Bristol statue.... residents had campaigned legally for years asking for just a supplementary plaque describing the man's role in the slave trade. They were denied many many times through by the council. The statue came down and was thrown in the same harbour where the guy would have bought in his human cargo.

They exhausted the legal channels, George Floyd was murdered and took the thing down.

As somebody else said, if you were black and lived in the area, how would you explain to your children why a man is commemorated by a statue, a man who treated his horse better than black people. How do you then explain that the council will not even put a plaque up to contextualise his abhorrent behaviour?

northeast

10 years is not enough mmillions died to make this country what it is a good place to live

"10 years is not enough mmillions died to make this country what it is a good place to live"

A lot of black people died so it could get rich...

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

"

"

that wasnt a war memorial was it?

By *L RogueMan  over a year ago

London

How dare you .

Would he not be sick to the stomach to see people British people sieg heiling at the cenotaph??"

Beat me to it!

Bit rich talking about legacy and history when we see those scenes in 2020.Let's sort THAT out first before we start puffing out our chests, shall we?

I heard they were looking to take action against those in Bristol.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Like anyone will get the maximum. Unless they go full on V for Vendetta.

Tokenism.

milton keynes

"

Where did I say that?

I can't understand how people think that because crime happens somewhere it ok to happen again

I didn't say that.Crike occurs every day and when they are caught They are punished.

My point was a Tiny no of minor crimes have generated hysterical headlines and had not been accompanied by ridiculous sentences."

Yes when caught they are punished so same should be applied to the mobs pulling down statues and defacing them.

What ever the punishment turns out to be is up to the court's.

There is one way these mobs can avoid punishment and that's don't break the law in the first place

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

"The Bristol statue.... residents had campaigned legally for years asking for just a supplementary plaque describing the man's role in the slave trade. They were denied many many times through by the council. The statue came down and was thrown in the same harbour where the guy would have bought in his human cargo.

They exhausted the legal channels, George Floyd was murdered and took the thing down.

As somebody else said, if you were black and lived in the area, how would you explain to your children why a man is commemorated by a statue, a man who treated his horse better than black people. How do you then explain that the council will not even put a plaque up to contextualise his abhorrent behaviour?"

NO slaves came into Bristol, not one

milton keynes

"The Bristol statue.... residents had campaigned legally for years asking for just a supplementary plaque describing the man's role in the slave trade. They were denied many many times through by the council. The statue came down and was thrown in the same harbour where the guy would have bought in his human cargo.

As somebody else said, if you were black and lived in the area, how would you explain to your children why a man is commemorated by a statue, a man who treated his horse better than black people. How do you then explain that the council will not even put a plaque up to contextualise his abhorrent behaviour?"

The people of Bristol have the right to vote in there council elections so either they have not exhausted legal avenues or not enough people in area agree with them. The fact that they did not achieve their goals by peaceful means is not an excuse to break the law

By *ichaelsmyMan  over a year ago

douglas

nelson mandela

mahatma ghandi

why would those be "problematic" to me in particular???? just curious as to your assumption....

any reason why??? go on.... you know you want to say it so don't just infer it!!!

me, i predominately believe that statues are basically for museums..... history is taught in books, not statues!

there are mainly there as a big FU to the oppressed....."

Simply using your own argument against you and giving you examples of your own bias

As somebody else said, if you were black and lived in the area, how would you explain to your children why a man is commemorated by a statue, a man who treated his horse better than black people. How do you then explain that the council will not even put a plaque up to contextualise his abhorrent behaviour?

NO slaves came into Bristol, not one"

Erm...ok

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

nelson mandela

mahatma ghandi

"

There's already a campaign in Leicester to get rid of their Ghandi statue.

By *exyCouple999Couple  over a year ago

South Bucks

its 8 yrs....

Nice Classic whataboutery ! Thanks

milton keynes

its 8 yrs....

Nice Classic whataboutery ! Thanks"

Indeed and turned out to be false concerning the Tory np's as others pointed out it was Labour that introduced it

By *exyCouple999Couple  over a year ago

South Bucks

"

The question wasn't "Do you care who set it up" ! To refresh your memory the actual question was; "But you do accept that Actually the Sexual Offences Act was set in 2003 by the Blair Labour Government. ??" Really not a difficult one to answer is it ? Lol.

Grantham

NO slaves came into Bristol, not one"

A few did but the vast majority were transported direct from Africa to the Americas direct.

Ships financed by Bristol merchants, took goods to Africa, slaves from Africa to The Americas, and then returned to Bristol with goods: the Triangular Trade.

bournemouth

A few did but the vast majority were transported direct from Africa to the Americas direct.

Ships financed by Bristol merchants, took goods to Africa, slaves from Africa to The Americas, and then returned to Bristol with goods: the Triangular Trade. "

Slavery was illegal in Britain any coming here would have been released

By *elboy321Man  over a year ago

Paisley

"How many ww2 war hero's did Boris kill off with his ineptitude and he's still in office,nevermind prison sentence"

Well said sir.

By *elboy321Man  over a year ago

Paisley

It should be 10years in jail for those nazi scum attacking the police in London the other day.

Protecting statues my arse, low life knuckle dragging scum.

By *imiUKMan  over a year ago

Newbury

"

It’s not about whether they should stay or go it’s about the matter in which they are removed. Illegally is never the right way."

And there we have it, more concerned with order than justice.

Never mind Britain's proud tradition of civil unrest from Wat Tyler, the Diggers, Chartists, Peterloo, the general strikes....

But of course, those people were white....

Newbury

Ships financed by Bristol merchants, took goods to Africa, slaves from Africa to The Americas, and then returned to Bristol with goods: the Triangular Trade.

Slavery was illegal in Britain any coming here would have been released"

So what? Plenty of Brits amassed fortunes from the slave trade.

liverpool

I'm not sure many made it here

Grantham

I'm not sure many made it here"

A few did. Mainly as valets, footmen and servants to the wealthy.

bournemouth

I'm not sure many made it here

A few did. Mainly as valets, footmen and servants to the wealthy. "

Not as slaves

milton keynes

"It should be 10years in jail for those nazi scum attacking the police in London the other day.

Protecting statues my arse, low life knuckle dragging scum."

No idea what punishment will be handed down but hope they apply the law to ALL that broke it

milton keynes

"

It’s not about whether they should stay or go it’s about the matter in which they are removed. Illegally is never the right way.

Never mind Britain's proud tradition of civil unrest from Wat Tyler, the Diggers, Chartists, Peterloo, the general strikes....

But of course, those people were white...."

It's about living in a country that is governed by law not mob rule.

I prefer the order of law. Maybe you prefer mob rule

Newbury

"

I prefer the order of law. Maybe you prefer mob rule"

Just think, if everyone had your attitude, we'd never have:

Universal suffrage, paid time off, social security, socialised healthcare, LBTQ rights etc etc.

Nothing was ever achieved without a struggle.

liverpool

"

Universal suffrage, paid time off, social security, socialised healthcare, LBTQ rights etc etc.

Nothing was ever achieved without a struggle."

milton keynes

"

Nothing was ever achieved without a struggle."

Well to your credit your the first I have come a cross that actually admits they support people breaking the law and endorse mob rule. I hope you remember that if your unfortunate enough to be on the wrong end of a law breaker.

I prefer rule of law

Y

Newbury

"

Well to your credit your the first I have come a cross that actually admits they support people breaking the law and endorse mob rule. I hope you remember that if your unfortunate enough to be on the wrong end of a law breaker.

I prefer rule of law

Y

"

Order over justice once again.

Laws don't necessarily have a moral imperative.

milton keynes

"

I prefer rule of law

Y

"

Law abiding people over criminals

By *nleashedCrakenMan  over a year ago

Widnes

its 8 yrs....

this is kneejerk...."

Agree that it does seem a little kneejerk but, in the same way while the maximum sentence for r8pe is life the actual sentence is often a lot less, same so with this. The maximum penalty may be 10 years but in most cases the actual sentence will be less.

I'm not against tougher sentences for any who defaces monuments to the dead but often this sort of kneejerk legislation is badly formed, ineffective and fails to achieve the results desired.

Widnes

"

I don't think you get or understand just how upset and annoyed many people feel at thought of monuments dedicated to those who died defending this country and out freedoms.

Newbury

"

I prefer rule of law

Y

Law abiding people over criminals"

I'm afraid that if everyone thought like that, youd enjoy almost none of the freedoms you enjoy today.

Gay rights, for example, followed the stonewall riots....

milton keynes

"

I prefer rule of law

Y

I'm afraid that if everyone thought like that, youd enjoy almost none of the freedoms you enjoy today.

Gay rights, for example, followed the stonewall riots...."

It's very clear you support criminals and mob rule.

I prefer to be law abiding and live with the rule of law

Northampton

A medal for the desecration of the memory of millions of souls that gave their today for our tomorrows?"

No. A medal for vandalising an inanimate object. The memory would still exist.

(That's a very romantic idealised perception of those who die in war, btw.)

Widnes

"

Stay. And I'm Catholic.

Despite the wrong he did, and those wrongs should definitely be told more in history, he layed the very foundation of our current parliamentary democracy (although he was no democrat himself) and as such is an extremely important person in English and British history. Yet another very flawed British hero, like many others.

Newbury

"

I prefer rule of law

Y

I prefer to be law abiding and live with the rule of law"

I support people who I believe are right. I don't believe that all laws are just, sorry.

Homosexuality was illegal until 1967. Do you think gay people up until that point should have abstained from sex or relationships because they were illegal?

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

I prefer to be law abiding and live with the rule of law"

Suffragette's.........

Widnes

"

"

It's not the 1 statue that was pulled down that's the problem. It's the other status people want to pull down like Gladstone (founder of modern liberalism) because not him but his father had owned slaved, or Churchill, or Robert Peel who reformed this country into a Constitutional Democracy, or Baden-Powell who founded modern Scouting, or Drake who saved this country from the Spanish Armada.

All these people where and still are British heroes. Did they have flaws? Yes. Did they do no wrong? No. But, for good or bad, they all helped to make this country what it is and are not just who we were but very much who we still are. Warts and all.

milton keynes

"

I prefer rule of law

Y

I support people who I believe are right. I don't believe that all laws are just, sorry.

Homosexuality was illegal until 1967. Do you think gay people up until that point should have abstained from sex or relationships because they were illegal?"

And in this case you are supporting criminals. Just because you do not agree with a law does not give you the right to break it. If you do you should be prepared to face punishment.

I will stick to the law and leave the criminality to you

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

its 8 yrs....

this is kneejerk...."

Aren't the judiciary independent?

It's not the government that hands the sentences out...it's the judges.

I think you're ire may be pointed in the wrong direction.

Newbury

"

I prefer rule of law

Y

Homosexuality was illegal until 1967. Do you think gay people up until that point should have abstained from sex or relationships because they were illegal?

And in this case you are supporting criminals. Just because you do not agree with a law does not give you the right to break it. If you do you should be prepared to face punishment.

I will stick to the law and leave the criminality to you"

So you do think that gay people prior to 1967 should not have had sex or relationships because it was illegal?

Or would you just like to completely ignore the question?

As Fabio mentioned, the suffragettes broke the law. Do you think women should abstain from voting because of it?

Widnes

Not to detract from the second part of your post but the first part of the post is historically inaccurate. Slaves were never landed at any port in England and, if they had been, under English law at the time they would have immediately become free men. Slaves were traffic between Africa and the Americas on what became known as the "Middle Passage".

Northampton

".

I will stick to the law and leave the criminality to you"

What about when the law is immoral? Do you not have any ethics of your own, other than obeying laws?

Widnes

I don't know about the legal status of imported slaves across the whole of Britain, Irish and Scottish jurisdictions may have had different laws, but you are absolutely correct that slavery was never legal in England and any slave arriving in England immediately became a free man.

Widnes

"It should be 10years in jail for those nazi scum attacking the police in London the other day.

Totally agree!

Widnes

So what? Plenty of Brits amassed fortunes from the slave trade. "

And I'm sure there are many people not just in Britain but around the world who are amassing a tidy amount of wealth even today from various forms of indentured Labour and slavery with even knowing it.

Northampton

"I don't know about the legal status of imported slaves across the whole of Britain, Irish and Scottish jurisdictions may have had different laws, but you are absolutely correct that slavery was never legal in England and any slave arriving in England immediately became a free man."

This is incorrect.

By *nB23Man  over a year ago

London

"I don't know about the legal status of imported slaves across the whole of Britain, Irish and Scottish jurisdictions may have had different laws, but you are absolutely correct that slavery was never legal in England and any slave arriving in England immediately became a free man.

This is incorrect. "

I agree. Slavery didn't need to be legal in England because as many have explained earlier in the thread, British slave owners owned and kept Afrikan slaves in the Caribbean.

Slavery was legal until the Abolition Act of 1833, where approx 46,000 British slave owners received about £16-17billion(in todays amount) in compensation from the British government for losing their property. This has been the largest gov bailout until the 2009 bank bailout. The Abolition Act also had a stipulation that these "freed" slaves had to periodically work for free over a certain no. Of years to repay their former masters. You'll also find that records on British slave ownership was also more hidden than that of the US. I don't understand why people get so defensive about history. It's not a personal attack, it's what actually happened, no matter how much some try to sanitize it.

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

yep knucle dragging scum same as the ones attacking shit last weekend

"

I would not bother witht eh 10 years for graffiti I would just go for public flogging and humiliation

Everytime they build something new some low IQ cunt comes along and sqribbles some inane shit that looks fucking awaful on it

called tagging or something.

liverpool

"

I don't think you get or understand just how upset and annoyed many people feel at thought of monuments dedicated to those who died defending this country and out freedoms."

No I think it if you get more time for defacing a memorial than for r### say,we need to look at our priorities.

liverpool

A medal for the desecration of the memory of millions of souls that gave their today for our tomorrows?

No. A medal for vandalising an inanimate object. The memory would still exist.

(That's a very romantic idealised perception of those who die in war, btw.)"

People are more angry about a vandal than the people who literally treated soldiers like cattle between 1914-18

liverpool

"

It's not the 1 statue that was pulled down that's the problem. It's the other status people want to pull down like Gladstone (founder of modern liberalism) because not him but his father had owned slaved, or Churchill, or Robert Peel who reformed this country into a Constitutional Democracy, or Baden-Powell who founded modern Scouting, or Drake who saved this country from the Spanish Armada.

All these people where and still are British heroes. Did they have flaws? Yes. Did they do no wrong? No. But, for good or bad, they all helped to make this country what it is and are not just who we were but very much who we still are. Warts and all."

Upto now we have never even had a debate about such things.

The fact that we are doing now should be a good thing

liverpool

"

I prefer rule of law

Y

So you do think that gay people prior to 1967 should not have had sex or relationships because it was illegal?

As Fabio mentioned, the suffragettes broke the law. Do you think women should abstain from voting because of it?"

It's an excellent point.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"

"

no because that's not the law at the time of the offence . If it was and they did it yes give them the sentence.

"

Suffragette's........."

Is actually a really good analogy to use as an example of what should be done to protestors when they engage in criminal behaviour as nearly thousand Suffragette's were sent to prison for bombing - setting fires and all other types of criminal behaviour.

"

Suffragette's.........

Is actually a really good analogy to use as an example of what should be done to protestors when they engage in criminal behaviour as nearly thousand Suffragette's were sent to prison for bombing - setting fires and all other types of criminal behaviour.

"

Too right....bloody women wanting the vote..

Newbury

"

Suffragette's.........

"

And as such, these "criminals" helped to achieve the vote for women.

So it does indeed show that direct action can ultimately change society for the better and that laws do not always have a basis in morality.

"

Suffragette's.........

So it does indeed show that direct action can ultimately change society for the better and that laws do not always have a basis in morality."

While still locking people up for criminal behaviour - The vote didn't come until 10 years later.

Newbury

"

Suffragette's.........

So it does indeed show that direct action can ultimately change society for the better and that laws do not always have a basis in morality.

While still locking people up for criminal behaviour - The vote didn't come until 10 years later. "

I don't think you are quite making the point that you think you are making here.

You've essentially just justified "criminal" direct action to further a just cause....

"

Suffragette's.........

While still locking people up for criminal behaviour - The vote didn't come until 10 years later.

I don't think you are quite making the point that you think you are making here.

You've essentially just justified "criminal" direct action to further a just cause...."

You dont know what I'm thinking

"

Suffragette's.........

You've essentially just justified "criminal" direct action to further a just cause....

You dont know what I'm thinking "

Direct Action in the form of Protest should be sacrosanct to any Democracy and one which I support without question. Criminal behaviour while doing so isn't a part that any of us should support.

Newbury

"

Suffragette's.........

Direct Action in the form of Protest should be sacrosanct to any Democracy and one which I support without question. Criminal behaviour while doing so isn't a part that any of us should support.

"

Except, of course that the two are often one and the same thing....

"

Suffragette's.........

Except, of course that the two are often one and the same thing...."

And that is the sadness, that some can't think with enough brains to work out that violence doesn't get you what you want. Those who do understand that don't want such people in their protests.

liverpool

"

Suffragette's.........

And that is the sadness, that some can't think with enough brains to work out that violence doesn't get you what you want. Those who do understand that don't want such people in their protests.

"

What If peaceful protests are ignored?

"

Suffragette's.........

What If peaceful protests are ignored?"

The suffragettes eventually got the vote by the pressures they put on Parliament and gathering a consensus of the british public to their cause. It was brought to Parliament it was debated in Parliament and eventually The Equal Franchise Act 1928 was passed.

Had they not gathered enough by way of consensus (democracy) then it would not of happened in the time it did.

The most important word in all of this is Parliamentary Democracy coupled to a rule of Law that we accept. If we don't accept it then Democracy allows us to 'vote it out' and try again.

"

Suffragette's.........

What If peaceful protests are ignored?"

Imagine if people had just stopped with peaceful protest on various issues. How different our world would be.

Newbury

"

Suffragette's.........

"

But it does. Entirely peaceful protests have achieved very little.

liverpool

"

Suffragette's.........

What If peaceful protests are ignored?

The suffragettes eventually got the vote by the pressures they put on Parliament and gathering a consensus of the british public to their cause. It was brought to Parliament it was debated in Parliament and eventually The Equal Franchise Act 1928 was passed.

Had they not gathered enough by way of consensus (democracy) then it would not of happened in the time it did.

The most important word in all of this is Parliamentary Democracy coupled to a rule of Law that we accept. If we don't accept it then Democracy allows us to 'vote it out' and try again.

"

I thought the lady who threw herself under the horse was the turning point?(though I'm mainly going off the film)

They also used violent actions aswell didnt they?

I think it's a lot easier to ignore peaceful protests and its violence that ultimately gets results (poll tax,ireland)

liverpool

The Russian revolution,Berlin wall,the riots here in the 80s..all violent..but all got results.

"The Russian revolution,Berlin wall,the riots here in the 80s..all violent..but all got results."

Exactly, I suppose these people should of all just gone home

Newbury

"The Russian revolution,Berlin wall,the riots here in the 80s..all violent..but all got results."

The ruling classes concede nothing without fear. The post war period is a good example. A conscript population trained to fight in total war, a massive over demand for workers, emboldened, militant unions, the "Red threat" after the apparent success of Bolshevism in Russia....

liverpool

I suppose you could also argue that big chunks of the civil rights movement in America,which has been going on since the 60s,has been peaceful (Martin Luther king,)yet in 2020 they have an out and out racist in the White House.

Newbury

"I suppose you could also argue that big chunks of the civil rights movement in America,which has been going on since the 60s,has been peaceful (Martin Luther king,)yet in 2020 they have an out and out racist in the White House."

There were plenty of riots associated with the civil rights movement, plus organisations like the Black Panthers etc...

Newbury

But yes, Donald Trump may yet get his race war.

liverpool

"The Russian revolution,Berlin wall,the riots here in the 80s..all violent..but all got results.

The ruling classes concede nothing without fear. The post war period is a good example. A conscript population trained to fight in total war, a massive over demand for workers, emboldened, militant unions, the "Red threat" after the apparent success of Bolshevism in Russia...."

I think in this country we have a deference to our "betters'which the likes of the French and the Russians dont have.

I think that even exists until today with the current incumbent of no 10.

He speaks Latin and went to Eton..he must be as great pm.

liverpool

"I suppose you could also argue that big chunks of the civil rights movement in America,which has been going on since the 60s,has been peaceful (Martin Luther king,)yet in 2020 they have an out and out racist in the White House.

There were plenty of riots associated with the civil rights movement, plus organisations like the Black Panthers etc..."

I know but there has also been peaceful elements aswell.

"But yes, Donald Trump may yet get his race war."

And on that we agree.

The Berlin Wall came down amidst Peaceful non violent protests.

liverpool

"The Berlin Wall came down amidst Peaceful non violent protests."

They tore down a wall

Hardly peaceful

Sheer vandalism

"The Berlin Wall came down amidst Peaceful non violent protests.

They tore down a wall

Hardly peaceful

Sheer vandalism "

They didn't tear it down while the East Germans remained in political control of East Berlin - they tore it down once the reunification had been announced.

They tore down a wall

Hardly peaceful

Sheer vandalism

They didn't tear it down while the East Germans remained in political control of East Berlin - they tore it down once the reunification had been announced.

"

Oh and with the cooperation of both the East and Western Authorities.

But then again, most of us speak from the position of never being oppressed in any way. Depends who is making the laws and how they effect you before you know how you would react in similar situations.

By *abs..Woman  over a year ago

"But then again, most of us speak from the position of never being oppressed in any way. Depends who is making the laws and how they effect you before you know how you would react in similar situations."

I think there is probably an imbalance in the type of people making the decisions and those that the decisions affect. Maybe a more diverse group/leadership would lead to equality?

"

I think there is probably an imbalance in the type of people making the decisions and those that the decisions affect. Maybe a more diverse group/leadership would lead to equality? "

Absolutely.

liverpool

They tore down a wall

Hardly peaceful

Sheer vandalism

Oh and with the cooperation of both the East and Western Authorities. "

But that only came after weeks of civil unrest

They tore down a wall

Hardly peaceful

Sheer vandalism

But that only came after weeks of civil unrest"

It came after years of unrest in West Berlin NON of which was violent or criminal.

northeast

They tore down a wall

Hardly peaceful

Sheer vandalism

Oh and with the cooperation of both the East and Western Authorities. "

By *ensual-dominant-passionMan  over a year ago

sheffield

What kind of vandalism are we talking here... and from who exactly?

"What kind of vandalism are we talking here... and from who exactly? "

Go to the top lol. ^^^

liverpool

They tore down a wall

Hardly peaceful

Sheer vandalism

But that only came after weeks of civil unrest

It came after years of unrest in West Berlin NON of which was violent or criminal. "

To be fair East Germany was not the most liberal of countries.

"

"

What? It was an illegally Annexed part of Berlin by the Soviet Bloc that wasn't repatriated when the Allied Powers returned their sectors to Greater Germany.

liverpool

"

What? It was an illegally Annexed part of Berlin by the Soviet Bloc that wasn't repatriated when the Allied Powers returned their sectors to Greater Germany.

"

That's what I meant.

By *ittleAcornMan  over a year ago

To be honest, going right back to the title of this thread, sending people to prison for vandalising a monument protects no-one.

Certainly not war heroes, who are either dead, or living as homeless with untreated PTSD.

I would personally like the focus to be on them, rather than chunks of masonry/stone that can be cleaned or repaired.

milton keynes

"

I prefer rule of law

Y

As Fabio mentioned, the suffragettes broke the law. Do you think women should abstain from voting because of it?"

I believe people should live within the law at the time. I'm all for protests but peaceful protests. Maybe on here I'm in the minority but that does not change my mind. I feel mob rule is very dangerous to everyone. When a mob is doing something you like you may well think its fine. But what about when another mob comes along and acts against you? Would you be ok with a mob attacking you in the street because they think its right and want the law changed to allow it?. You won't be able to complain because you want to live this way.Terrorists use the same logic.

My fear of the criminality is it detracts from the actual cause.

Several of you disagree which obviously is your right. As someone who is new to the idea of breaking the law may I ask how many are you prepared to let die?

If the police loose control and protesters get killed either by the police or rival protesters will you support that?. If people who are just going about their lawful business get caught up and killed will you support that?

By *ikerjohnMan  over a year ago

Chelmsford

The more simple answer to the original point of the thread is that we already have legislation in place to prevent damage etc. to statues and the like. It's called the Criminal Damage Act 1971 and it carries a maximum sentencing (exempting arson and intent to endanger life) of ten years.

There are also potential offences in some cases under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990, which carry maximum sentences of up to two years.

As far as sentencing is concerned, Judges are bound by applicable guidelines, none of which ever prescribe a maximum sentencing. The fraud guideline, for example, for the worst offence gives a range of 5 to 8 years' custody. The maximum sentence in the Fraud Act 2006 is ten years!

The criminal damage guideline for damage exceeding £5,000 prescribes a starting point of 18 months' for the highest category of culpability and harm but the range is 6 months to 4 years' custody, making it nigh on impossible that anyone would ever get anything close to the maximum sentence.

liverpool

There is a brilliant picture of these 3 ballons "protecting'the statue of George eliot in nuneaton.

However no one seems to have told them eliot was a vocal abiliotionist,supported The 1848 revolutions in europe and campaigned for home rule in Ireland.

By *oldswarriorMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

Wow. Just wow.

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

"There is a brilliant picture of these 3 ballons "protecting'the statue of George eliot "

What are ballons ?

liverpool

"There is a brilliant picture of these 3 ballons "protecting'the statue of George eliot

What are ballons ?"

Idiots.

By *sGivesWoodWoman  over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

Yeh, so crappy they died do you could insult them by calling their memorials crappy. What an insult to them and their families and to those currently serving as well to protect your freedom to post crap.

liverpool

Yeh, so crappy they died do you could insult them by calling their memorials crappy. What an insult to them and their families and to those currently serving as well to protect your freedom to post crap. "

Very few wars are faught to protect 'freedom'

By *sGivesWoodWoman  over a year ago

ST. AUSTELL, CORNWALL

Yeh, so crappy they died do you could insult them by calling their memorials crappy. What an insult to them and their families and to those currently serving as well to protect your freedom to post crap.

Very few wars are faught to protect 'freedom'"

WW1, WW2. Enough said.

Falkirk

Very few wars are faught to protect 'freedom'"

Yet still fought. Millions lost.

Should we just forget about it?

Falkirk

Very few wars are faught to protect 'freedom'

Yet still fought. Millions lost.

Should we just forget about it?"

Faught even.

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

Very few wars are faught to protect 'freedom'WW1, WW2. Enough said.

"

American war of independence and the wars fought by ex British empire countries for independence can be added I think