FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Unite Funding of Labour

Unite Funding of Labour

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Strained relations over using the money to compensate labour whistleblowers when it wasn't mandatory.

More upheaval then

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"Strained relations over using the money to compensate labour whistleblowers when it wasn't mandatory.

More upheaval then "

I can see them splitting in 2

"Strained relations over using the money to compensate labour whistleblowers when it wasn't mandatory.

More upheaval then

I can see them splitting in 2"

Your right about ks, bit of a slick tory lite

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

It makes you wonder whether Len McCluskey is really a Tory or just an idiot!? Why the feck would you create internal torment in Labour when they actually look electable? Labour couldn’t organise a piss up in a brewery under Corbyn. Big Len needs to accept that ‘experiment’ was a mistake and work with Labour rather than being a twat

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"It makes you wonder whether Len McCluskey is really a Tory or just an idiot!? Why the feck would you create internal torment in Labour when they actually look electable? Labour couldn’t organise a piss up in a brewery under Corbyn. Big Len needs to accept that ‘experiment’ was a mistake and work with Labour rather than being a twat "
saddly hes not alone on a few labour chat groups and many are still fixated on corbyn lambasting anybody who supports the 'traitor" Hardy and his supporters plotting and planning to do exactley what they accuse the right wing of the labour party doing .saddly can see nothing more that a split ever solving this situation with the leftwing Labour party going of into pointless obscurity and the right wing joining up with the libdems meanwhile the Torys will continue in power

liverpool

"It makes you wonder whether Len McCluskey is really a Tory or just an idiot!? Why the feck would you create internal torment in Labour when they actually look electable? Labour couldn’t organise a piss up in a brewery under Corbyn. Big Len needs to accept that ‘experiment’ was a mistake and work with Labour rather than being a twat saddly hes not alone on a few labour chat groups and many are still fixated on corbyn lambasting anybody who supports the 'traitor" Hardy and his supporters plotting and planning to do exactley what they accuse the right wing of the labour party doing .saddly can see nothing more that a split ever solving this situation with the leftwing Labour party going of into pointless obscurity and the right wing joining up with the libdems meanwhile the Torys will continue in power

"

Some rewriting of history here.The right wing of the party tried to oust corbyn twice..despite being democratically elected.They also actively worked against him.

liverpool

"It makes you wonder whether Len McCluskey is really a Tory or just an idiot!? Why the feck would you create internal torment in Labour when they actually look electable? Labour couldn’t organise a piss up in a brewery under Corbyn. Big Len needs to accept that ‘experiment’ was a mistake and work with Labour rather than being a twat "

Think there are others in the party who can more pertinently be called tories.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I can see two possibilities.

1) McClusky is one of those Corbynite "true believers" who would rather be "right" (in their view) than win an election, because winning requires you to govern and you'll never live up to your ideological purity standards in government.

2) McClusky doesn't want Labour to win. He doesn't want life to get better for working people. He wants them suffering and unhappy, because their discontent is his key to power in the union movement. He's the same kind of union dinosaur that brought Labour down in the 70s, starting fights for the sake of it. The country paid the price and responded by putting Thatcher in Dow ing Street, which paradoxically helped the dinosaurs because they had a new enemy to fight against.

liverpool

"It makes you wonder whether Len McCluskey is really a Tory or just an idiot!? Why the feck would you create internal torment in Labour when they actually look electable? Labour couldn’t organise a piss up in a brewery under Corbyn. Big Len needs to accept that ‘experiment’ was a mistake and work with Labour rather than being a twat

I can see two possibilities.

1) McClusky is one of those Corbynite "true believers" who would rather be "right" (in their view) than win an election, because winning requires you to govern and you'll never live up to your ideological purity standards in government.

2) McClusky doesn't want Labour to win. He doesn't want life to get better for working people. He wants them suffering and unhappy, because their discontent is his key to power in the union movement. He's the same kind of union dinosaur that brought Labour down in the 70s, starting fights for the sake of it. The country paid the price and responded by putting Thatcher in Dow ing Street, which paradoxically helped the dinosaurs because they had a new enemy to fight against."

Was that an editorial in the sun?

Chudleigh

The question to Len is - KS was elected as Leader, why not back him? Formenting turmoil for petty ideological reasons only achieves distraction to benefit the Tories. So it is a fair question to ask about what Len is really there for? 10 years of Tories and another 4 on the way - Unite have done nothing for its members, just played at Politics by supporting Corbyn and letting the Tories in again. Len needs to go.

liverpool

"The question to Len is - KS was elected as Leader, why not back him? Formenting turmoil for petty ideological reasons only achieves distraction to benefit the Tories. So it is a fair question to ask about what Len is really there for? 10 years of Tories and another 4 on the way - Unite have done nothing for its members, just played at Politics by supporting Corbyn and letting the Tories in again. Len needs to go."

You mean apart from financially back them?

They played at politics..what by actually supporting the leader of the party?

Shame the rest of the party didn't

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

"The question to Len is - KS was elected as Leader, why not back him? Formenting turmoil for petty ideological reasons only achieves distraction to benefit the Tories. So it is a fair question to ask about what Len is really there for? 10 years of Tories and another 4 on the way - Unite have done nothing for its members, just played at Politics by supporting Corbyn and letting the Tories in again. Len needs to go.

Shame the rest of the party didn't "

Did Jeremy Cornyn always support the Labour leadership of the day with his votes when he was a back bencher?

liverpool

"The question to Len is - KS was elected as Leader, why not back him? Formenting turmoil for petty ideological reasons only achieves distraction to benefit the Tories. So it is a fair question to ask about what Len is really there for? 10 years of Tories and another 4 on the way - Unite have done nothing for its members, just played at Politics by supporting Corbyn and letting the Tories in again. Len needs to go.

Did Jeremy Cornyn always support the Labour leadership of the day with his votes when he was a back bencher?"

Do you mean did he plot to overthrow him?

milton keynes

Did Jeremy Cornyn always support the Labour leadership of the day with his votes when he was a back bencher?

Do you mean did he plot to overthrow him?"

No I mean did he always support the Labour leadership with his votes in parliament when he was a back bencher ( before he became leader)

liverpool

No I mean did he always support the Labour leadership with his votes in parliament when he was a back bencher ( before he became leader)"

No..however I'd say there was a tiny little difference between voting the way your conscience tells you..and actively seeking to depose your leader.

Chudleigh

No I mean did he always support the Labour leadership with his votes in parliament when he was a back bencher ( before he became leader)

No..however I'd say there was a tiny little difference between voting the way your conscience tells you..and actively seeking to depose your leader."

So do you think Len is right to be disruptive to Labour then?

liverpool

No..however I'd say there was a tiny little difference between voting the way your conscience tells you..and actively seeking to depose your leader.

So do you think Len is right to be disruptive to Labour then?"

Well when ks came in..all the talk was of uniting the party..I cant see much evidence of that.

He has thrown rlb under the bus..decided to pay out to the 'people'who appeared on panorama without apparently consulting many people

milton keynes

No..however I'd say there was a tiny little difference between voting the way your conscience tells you..and actively seeking to depose your leader."

That's odd as when he became leader it was mentioned he voted against Labour hundreds of times

Chudleigh

Well when ks came in..all the talk was of uniting the party..I cant see much evidence of that.

He has thrown rlb under the bus..decided to pay out to the 'people'who appeared on panorama without apparently consulting many people"

Butis Len right to be disruptive? Rlb made a mistake and paid the price & as far asI know KS was a QC, so he is probably better placed than you or I to decide if comp should be paid

liverpool

That's odd as when he became leader it was mentioned he voted against Labour hundreds of times "

So basically every single mp should always vote as they are told.

Democracy eh?

liverpool

He has thrown rlb under the bus..decided to pay out to the 'people'who appeared on panorama without apparently consulting many people

Butis Len right to be disruptive? Rlb made a mistake and paid the price & as far asI know KS was a QC, so he is probably better placed than you or I to decide if comp should be paid "

I dont know what's gone on behind the scenes.But he has appeased people who are screaming for JC to be thrown out the party.

I'm not getting into the rlb debate but I dont agree at all.

I'm my opinion ks wants to purge the party of the Corbyn era.

Chudleigh

Butis Len right to be disruptive? Rlb made a mistake and paid the price & as far asI know KS was a QC, so he is probably better placed than you or I to decide if comp should be paid

I dont know what's gone on behind the scenes.But he has appeased people who are screaming for JC to be thrown out the party.

I'm my opinion ks wants to purge the party of the Corbyn era."

My question was, should Len be disrupting the Labour Party?

liverpool

My question was, should Len be disrupting the Labour Party?"

Define disputing

Unite are the biggest contributors to the labour party.. if..and I dont know if this is the case..ks has just paid out without discussing it..he has a right to be pissed off

milton keynes

That's odd as when he became leader it was mentioned he voted against Labour hundreds of times

Democracy eh?"

I never said that did I? . Voting several hundreds of times against your own leadership is not the same as voting against them just a few times

liverpool

Democracy eh?

I never said that did I? . Voting several hundreds of times against your own leadership is not the same as voting against them just a few times"

What's the exact number you are allowed to vote against them?

Considering he has been an mp since 1983?

milton keynes

Democracy eh?

I never said that did I? . Voting several hundreds of times against your own leadership is not the same as voting against them just a few times

Considering he has been an mp since 1983?"

I don't think it should run into the hundreds

liverpool

Democracy eh?

I don't think it should run into the hundreds"

So 99 is ok.?

milton keynes

Democracy eh?

I don't think it should run into the hundreds

So 99 is ok.?"

Now your being silly and not even close to how many times

liverpool

Maybe he should have voted for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan?

Would that have been ok?

milton keynes

"Maybe he should have voted for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan?

Would that have been ok?"

Well it would not be the first time he supported the conservatives

liverpool

Would that have been ok?

Well it would not be the first time he supported the conservatives"

Did the tories vote against war ?

liverpool

It's a feeble argument and you know it is.He is a socialist so he was bound to disagree with new labour..I fail to see the issue here.We live in a democracy where the pm doesn't Sanction mps who vote against the party.ahem.

And despite denying it you are trying to compare it to what happened with corbyn (2 attempted coups)

It isnt even in the same ballpark and you know it

milton keynes

Would that have been ok?

Did the tories vote against war ?"

What's the Tories got to do with Cornyn voting against his party several hundred times

milton keynes

"It's a feeble argument and you know it is.He is a socialist so he was bound to disagree with new labour..I fail to see the issue here.We live in a democracy where the pm doesn't Sanction mps who vote against the party.ahem.

And despite denying it you are trying to compare it to what happened with corbyn (2 attempted coups)

"

Actually I was not talking about the 2 failed coups at all but if you wish to believe otherwise that's up to you. For me a person who was so disloyal can not expect loyalty when he is at the top

liverpool

Would that have been ok?

What's the Tories got to do with Cornyn voting against his party several hundred times"

Erm.. I dont know you brought it up?

liverpool

"It's a feeble argument and you know it is.He is a socialist so he was bound to disagree with new labour..I fail to see the issue here.We live in a democracy where the pm doesn't Sanction mps who vote against the party.ahem.

Actually I was not talking about the 2 failed coups at all but if you wish to believe otherwise that's up to you. For me a person who was so disloyal can not expect loyalty when he is at the top"

Ok then ..explain to.me the connection between voting for your own conscience and the campaign against Corbyn

Seeing as you brought it up.

milton keynes

Would that have been ok?

What's the Tories got to do with Cornyn voting against his party several hundred times

Erm.. I dont know you brought it up?"

Did I? Please let me know where I compared Tory mps to corbyn

liverpool

Would that have been ok?

Well it would not be the first time he supported the conservatives"

Erm

Here?

milton keynes

Would that have been ok?

Erm

Here?"

Erm clearly said Corbyn supported the conservatives not the other way around

liverpool

Would that have been ok?

Erm

Here?

Erm clearly said Corbyn supported the conservatives not the other way around "

I'm.not getting into another pedantic argument.

You bizarrely accused corbyn of voting for tories then denied bringing them into the debate

milton keynes

Would that have been ok?

Erm

Here?

You bizarrely accused corbyn of voting for tories then denied bringing them into the debate "

I said he supported the conservatives which he did. If I did not explain well then apologies

liverpool

Would that have been ok?

Erm

Here?

You bizarrely accused corbyn of voting for tories then denied bringing them into the debate

I said he supported the conservatives which he did. If I did not explain well then apologies"

No worries

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"The question to Len is - KS was elected as Leader, why not back him? Formenting turmoil for petty ideological reasons only achieves distraction to benefit the Tories. So it is a fair question to ask about what Len is really there for? 10 years of Tories and another 4 on the way - Unite have done nothing for its members, just played at Politics by supporting Corbyn and letting the Tories in again. Len needs to go."
The problem is the hard left are communists and know if they form there own party they are finished as it is minority politics in this country,a bit like Tommy Robinson.

So the are trying hard to take over a decent socialist party

liverpool

"The question to Len is - KS was elected as Leader, why not back him? Formenting turmoil for petty ideological reasons only achieves distraction to benefit the Tories. So it is a fair question to ask about what Len is really there for? 10 years of Tories and another 4 on the way - Unite have done nothing for its members, just played at Politics by supporting Corbyn and letting the Tories in again. Len needs to go.The problem is the hard left are communists and know if they form there own party they are finished as it is minority politics in this country,a bit like Tommy Robinson.

"

They aren't communists.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"The question to Len is - KS was elected as Leader, why not back him? Formenting turmoil for petty ideological reasons only achieves distraction to benefit the Tories. So it is a fair question to ask about what Len is really there for? 10 years of Tories and another 4 on the way - Unite have done nothing for its members, just played at Politics by supporting Corbyn and letting the Tories in again. Len needs to go.The problem is the hard left are communists and know if they form there own party they are finished as it is minority politics in this country,a bit like Tommy Robinson.

They aren't communists."

yes they are they are evil

Chudleigh

Define disputing

Unite are the biggest contributors to the labour party.. if..and I dont know if this is the case..ks has just paid out without discussing it..he has a right to be pissed off"

Disrupting - attempting to manipulate the Labour Party because it isn’t doing ‘what it’s paid to do’ - Does Len lead the Labour Party? It is like saying the Tory’s should check with their Russian paymasters before shafting us all

liverpool

They aren't communists.yes they are they are evil"

Ha ha

No they are not.

liverpool

Define disputing

Unite are the biggest contributors to the labour party.. if..and I dont know if this is the case..ks has just paid out without discussing it..he has a right to be pissed off

Disrupting - attempting to manipulate the Labour Party because it isn’t doing ‘what it’s paid to do’ - Does Len lead the Labour Party? It is like saying the Tory’s should check with their Russian paymasters before shafting us all "

How is he attempting to manipulate the labour party.?

Chudleigh

Define disputing

Disrupting - attempting to manipulate the Labour Party because it isn’t doing ‘what it’s paid to do’ - Does Len lead the Labour Party? It is like saying the Tory’s should check with their Russian paymasters before shafting us all

How is he attempting to manipulate the labour party.?"

Trying to stop KS from doing the right thing...

liverpool

Define disputing

How is he attempting to manipulate the labour party.?

Trying to stop KS from doing the right thing... "

That rather depends if you think he did the right thing

By *kstallionMan  over a year ago

milton keynes

How much power or influence does this union have with Labour? Can Labour just walk away and still be financially ok

liverpool

"How much power or influence does this union have with Labour? Can Labour just walk away and still be financially ok"

Labour relies on union backing

By *kstallionMan  over a year ago

milton keynes

"How much power or influence does this union have with Labour? Can Labour just walk away and still be financially ok

Labour relies on union backing "

Yes fully understand but is this particular union to big to say no too? Can they just walk away or is the financial contributions to much to loose

"How much power or influence does this union have with Labour? Can Labour just walk away and still be financially ok

Yes fully understand but is this particular union to big to say no too? Can they just walk away or is the financial contributions to much to loose"

I may be wrong but i am pretty sure that Unite is labours biggest backer financially so I would think Labour need them, as a shop steward for unite I have found though for the last few yrs new members mostly opt out of funding the labour party, many want to be in the union but don't necessarily always agree with labours political stance and therefore are not happy funding it.

liverpool

Yes fully understand but is this particular union to big to say no too? Can they just walk away or is the financial contributions to much to loose I may be wrong but i am pretty sure that Unite is labours biggest backer financially so I would think Labour need them, as a shop steward for unite I have found though for the last few yrs new members mostly opt out of funding the labour party, many want to be in the union but don't necessarily always agree with labours political stance and therefore are not happy funding it."

Yep unite is the biggest one

They changed the laws around subs so it doesn't come out automatically now which is another reason why labour are a bit skint.

And imho mccluskey is right then to ask why the money was just paid out unilaterally.

Yes fully understand but is this particular union to big to say no too? Can they just walk away or is the financial contributions to much to loose I may be wrong but i am pretty sure that Unite is labours biggest backer financially so I would think Labour need them, as a shop steward for unite I have found though for the last few yrs new members mostly opt out of funding the labour party, many want to be in the union but don't necessarily always agree with labours political stance and therefore are not happy funding it.

They changed the laws around subs so it doesn't come out automatically now which is another reason why labour are a bit skint.

And imho mccluskey is right then to ask why the money was just paid out unilaterally."

I have to agree. I csn just hope this can be resolved somehow instead of handing no. 10s keys back to the tories again

Yes fully understand but is this particular union to big to say no too? Can they just walk away or is the financial contributions to much to loose I may be wrong but i am pretty sure that Unite is labours biggest backer financially so I would think Labour need them, as a shop steward for unite I have found though for the last few yrs new members mostly opt out of funding the labour party, many want to be in the union but don't necessarily always agree with labours political stance and therefore are not happy funding it.

And imho mccluskey is right then to ask why the money was just paid out unilaterally."

yeah back in Camerons time I believe, and yes I think he has a right to question things too.

» Add a new message to this topic