FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Recession

Recession

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Now that the UK has gone into recession how long do you think it will take for the economy to recover , and will Brexit help or hinder the process

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Now that the UK has gone into recession how long do you think it will take for the economy to recover , and will Brexit help or hinder the process "

I might be wrong but I thought I just heard we had the worst financial figures in the G20??

"Now that the UK has gone into recession how long do you think it will take for the economy to recover , and will Brexit help or hinder the process

I might be wrong but I thought I just heard we had the worst financial figures in the G20??"

Wow, that is a concern,

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

"Now that the UK has gone into recession how long do you think it will take for the economy to recover , and will Brexit help or hinder the process "

Technically we haven't just gone into recession but have been so for the last few months.

Brexit - still waiting to see what the great EU FTA will look like...

G7, sorry

"Now that the UK has gone into recession how long do you think it will take for the economy to recover , and will Brexit help or hinder the process

Technically we haven't just gone into recession but have been so for the last few months.

"

So, do you think Brexit will help the economy recover?

So, do you think Brexit will help the economy recover? "

It's irrelevant 'will of the people' 'you lost, suck it up'.....you know the drill

here

How do you measure whether being out of the EU is helping, or hindering, the post covid recovery?

I don't know at this point if it is a help or a hindrance. What I do know is it won't be long before there are the usual stories of, "if only we had been in the EU we could have done this", and similar reports of "we are only able to do this as we are out of the EU". This will keep the news business ticking over.

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

Of course.

We are going to have unicorns shitting gold in our front rooms once we are out.

Of course.

We are going to have unicorns shitting gold in our front rooms once we are out."

Ohhhh I prefer diamonds tbh.

A bit of glass in the ass mmmmm

How do you measure whether being out of the EU is helping, or hindering, the post covid recovery?

I don't know at this point if it is a help or a hindrance. What I do know is it won't be long before there are the usual stories of, "if only we had been in the EU we could have done this", and similar reports of "we are only able to do this as we are out of the EU". This will keep the news business ticking over.

"

I am not sure how we can measure the recovery rate, we could compare ourselves to remaining EU nations that are of a comparable size to the UK . I realise that isn’t completely accurate but it gives us a good idea .

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Impossible question to answer as nothing to compare with but the doom merchants will prattle on anyway

"Now that the UK has gone into recession how long do you think it will take for the economy to recover , and will Brexit help or hinder the process Impossible question to answer as nothing to compare with but the doom merchants will prattle on anyway"

Why is it impossible to answer? Your obviously a leave voter, what are you hoping or expecting that the UK will benefit from when we leave the EU?

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

I am not sure how we can measure the recovery rate, we could compare ourselves to remaining EU nations that are of a comparable size to the UK . I realise that isn’t completely accurate but it gives us a good idea . "

You need to compare to a country or relative size and similar economies.the uk is mainly a service based economy which unfortunately for the uk is the hardest hit by social distancing etc,Spain has a similar economy .

How long will it take our economy to recover? No idea.

Wil Brexit help? Will leaving the biggest trading bloc in the world help us economically at a time of serious economic disruption? Um... nope.

Clown has promised big and lucrative post-brexit trade deals , so it'll be fine

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

I am not sure how we can measure the recovery rate, we could compare ourselves to remaining EU nations that are of a comparable size to the UK . I realise that isn’t completely accurate but it gives us a good idea . "

Which country do you choose

I am not sure how we can measure the recovery rate, we could compare ourselves to remaining EU nations that are of a comparable size to the UK . I realise that isn’t completely accurate but it gives us a good idea .

Which country do you choose"

I mean... we could compare ourselves to other G7 nations. That's probably embarrassing, though, since we're doing worse than any of them on the recession front.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Yeah its fucked. Might be time to go home.

"Yeah its fucked. Might be time to go home. "

Home? Huh?

milton keynes

I mean... we could compare ourselves to other G7 nations. That's probably embarrassing, though, since we're doing worse than any of them on the recession front."

Ok so which country do you choose

I mean... we could compare ourselves to other G7 nations. That's probably embarrassing, though, since we're doing worse than any of them on the recession front.

Ok so which country do you choose"

Pick literally any G7 nation. We're doing worse.

milton keynes

Pick literally any G7 nation. We're doing worse."

The other poster said to compare it has to be any of the EU countries. Which do you choose?

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

"Yeah its fucked. Might be time to go home.

Home? Huh?"

Citizen of the world here geezer

The other poster said to compare it has to be any of the EU countries. Which do you choose?"

Take your pick. It doesn't matter. That's rather the point.

milton keynes

The other poster said to compare it has to be any of the EU countries. Which do you choose?

Take your pick. It doesn't matter. That's rather the point."

No you choose as I'm not the one saying its comparable. Let's see the country you want to compare the UK to from the EU and we can see how it goes as time goes

No you choose as I'm not the one saying its comparable. Let's see the country you want to compare the UK to from the EU and we can see how it goes as time goes"

Take your pick. Any G7 country you want. Whatever makes you happiest. (For the record, this is a very strange back and forth.)

milton keynes

No you choose as I'm not the one saying its comparable. Let's see the country you want to compare the UK to from the EU and we can see how it goes as time goes

Take your pick. Any G7 country you want. Whatever makes you happiest. (For the record, this is a very strange back and forth.)"

it has to be a EU country (not G7) as stated by the OP. He has an interesting idea based on how brexit hinders our economic recovery. Obviously we will not be able to even start until the begining of the new year when out of the transition period but was interested to know his choice. If you dont feel like putting up a suitable country then no probs will await the OP's choice.

The other poster said to compare it has to be any of the EU countries. Which do you choose?"

Germany

milton keynes

Germany "

If they have a similar economy then great You choose Germany. Will be interesting to see how the 2 countries get on from January

Germany

If they have a similar economy then great You choose Germany. Will be interesting to see how the 2 countries get on from January"

Yeah, it will be very interesting,

here

Germany

If they have a similar economy then great You choose Germany. Will be interesting to see how the 2 countries get on from January

Yeah, it will be very interesting, "

Early indicators are good for the U.K - OECD reporting that the post covid bounce back recovery in the U.K. is strongest of the EU countries.

Early days, especially as we had one of the largest falls, so it’s maybe not surprising the bounce back is stronger to start with. Of course we still need to see what will be in and out of the world beating FTA with the EU

Of course, it's fact now, that leaving the single market will be detrimental to our economy. You can avoid this as much as you like. Even the cheerleaders acknowledge that now. Oh wait, we have the Japanese trade deal which is worth O.07% to us.....we are saved

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

How long? The UK economy is largely service based; so, not until a while after an effective vaccine is available.

Brexit? There's opportunities for it to help and hinder, depending on the business being done. Though the hindrances look like they'll outweigh the help.

Things are going to get bad. Mass unemployment is on its way. The last time we had it, most people had far less to lose; hardly anyone owned their own home, or shares, back then.

The middle class have been affected by Covid 19 the same way the miners were by Thatcher; suddenly, it's not funny any more because it's not just us 'Up North' who are taking a hammering.

All those of you who sailed through austerity; bend over and get ready for HMRC. You're going to be paying for Covid 19 - because the past 12 years cleaned the rest of us out. We're skint.

Take pride in the knowledge your higher taxes are for the greater good of the country.

"Of course, it's fact now, that leaving the single market will be detrimental to our economy. You can avoid this as much as you like. Even the cheerleaders acknowledge that now. Oh wait, we have the Japanese trade deal which is worth O.07% to us.....we are saved "

I do like Japanese Whiskey , so not all is lost

Germany

If they have a similar economy then great You choose Germany. Will be interesting to see how the 2 countries get on from January"

comparing Germany with the UK is a waste of time, they are nowhere near the same economic model, our UK economy is service based, low skill, low pay, germanys is manufacturing based, high skill and better paid. To make any sort of comparison the country choosen needs to have the same economic model and similar population density etc to the UK, but I am sure those that chose Germany are well aware of this and are settling you up for a fall because a lot more of Germanys economy is running than ours,and that will continue to be the case. We need a complete change in this country away from service and banking industry in my opinion.

liverpool

Germany

If they have a similar economy then great You choose Germany. Will be interesting to see how the 2 countries get on from January comparing Germany with the UK is a waste of time, they are nowhere near the same economic model, our UK economy is service based, low skill, low pay, germanys is manufacturing based, high skill and better paid. To make any sort of comparison the country choosen needs to have the same economic model and similar population density etc to the UK, but I am sure those that chose Germany are well aware of this and are settling you up for a fall because a lot more of Germanys economy is running than ours,and that will continue to be the case. We need a complete change in this country away from service and banking industry in my opinion."

This may be a silly question

How come Germany were able to hold onto their manufacturing base whilst we decimated ours and moved to a service/financial based economy?

Germany

If they have a similar economy then great You choose Germany. Will be interesting to see how the 2 countries get on from January comparing Germany with the UK is a waste of time, they are nowhere near the same economic model, our UK economy is service based, low skill, low pay, germanys is manufacturing based, high skill and better paid. To make any sort of comparison the country choosen needs to have the same economic model and similar population density etc to the UK, but I am sure those that chose Germany are well aware of this and are settling you up for a fall because a lot more of Germanys economy is running than ours,and that will continue to be the case. We need a complete change in this country away from service and banking industry in my opinion.

How come Germany were able to hold onto their manufacturing base whilst we decimated ours and moved to a service/financial based economy?"

well you kind of answered your own question really, we decimated ours when the gov and the unions kind of went to war as I am sure you well know, and I guess well that germany didnt do the same, I don't really know whether there is a strong union presence in Germany and if there is maybe they and the government work together a bit more for the benefit of everyone where as here well......

liverpool

Germany

If they have a similar economy then great You choose Germany. Will be interesting to see how the 2 countries get on from January comparing Germany with the UK is a waste of time, they are nowhere near the same economic model, our UK economy is service based, low skill, low pay, germanys is manufacturing based, high skill and better paid. To make any sort of comparison the country choosen needs to have the same economic model and similar population density etc to the UK, but I am sure those that chose Germany are well aware of this and are settling you up for a fall because a lot more of Germanys economy is running than ours,and that will continue to be the case. We need a complete change in this country away from service and banking industry in my opinion.

How come Germany were able to hold onto their manufacturing base whilst we decimated ours and moved to a service/financial based economy? well you kind of answered your own question really, we decimated ours when the gov and the unions kind of went to war as I am sure you well know, and I guess well that germany didnt do the same, I don't really know whether there is a strong union presence in Germany and if there is maybe they and the government work together a bit more for the benefit of everyone where as here well...... "

I think they are still quite heavily unionized but like you said they probably comprised together.

milton keynes

Germany

If they have a similar economy then great You choose Germany. Will be interesting to see how the 2 countries get on from January comparing Germany with the UK is a waste of time, they are nowhere near the same economic model, our UK economy is service based, low skill, low pay, germanys is manufacturing based, high skill and better paid. To make any sort of comparison the country choosen needs to have the same economic model and similar population density etc to the UK, but I am sure those that chose Germany are well aware of this and are settling you up for a fall because a lot more of Germanys economy is running than ours,and that will continue to be the case. We need a complete change in this country away from service and banking industry in my opinion."

So sounding like Germany is not comparable. Any suggestions as a possible EU country that is comparable?

here

"Of course, it's fact now, that leaving the single market will be detrimental to our economy. You can avoid this as much as you like. Even the cheerleaders acknowledge that now. Oh wait, we have the Japanese trade deal which is worth O.07% to us.....we are saved

I do like Japanese Whiskey , so not all is lost "

Glad to see you used the correct spelling

Germany

So sounding like Germany is not comparable. Any suggestions as a possible EU country that is comparable?"

I am not really sure there is one mate, a few are a similar with regards there economic model but when it comes to population density etc no I don't believe there is a comparable one.

milton keynes

Germany

So sounding like Germany is not comparable. Any suggestions as a possible EU country that is comparable? I am not really sure there is one mate, a few are a similar with regards there economic model but when it comes to population density etc no I don't believe there is a comparable one."

Oh well a shame but no point comparing to a completely different economy. Step by step I'm sure we will recover

By *ittleAcornMan  over a year ago

Germany

How come Germany were able to hold onto their manufacturing base whilst we decimated ours and moved to a service/financial based economy? well you kind of answered your own question really, we decimated ours when the gov and the unions kind of went to war as I am sure you well know, and I guess well that germany didnt do the same, I don't really know whether there is a strong union presence in Germany and if there is maybe they and the government work together a bit more for the benefit of everyone where as here well......

I think they are still quite heavily unionized but like you said they probably comprised together.

"

They have rules about employee representation on the board etc. the sort of "madness" that Corbyn was proposing.

By *urreyfun38Couple  over a year ago

croydon

Germany

How come Germany were able to hold onto their manufacturing base whilst we decimated ours and moved to a service/financial based economy? well you kind of answered your own question really, we decimated ours when the gov and the unions kind of went to war as I am sure you well know, and I guess well that germany didnt do the same, I don't really know whether there is a strong union presence in Germany and if there is maybe they and the government work together a bit more for the benefit of everyone where as here well......

They have rules about employee representation on the board etc. the sort of "madness" that Corbyn was proposing."

They Do but the difference is that they work together for the benefit of the whole not the assenine war that seems to go on quite often between unions and companies.

Coal miners and print unions are a case in point that killed their own industries with their stupid war with a Government that had a huge majority at the time.

liverpool

Germany

They have rules about employee representation on the board etc. the sort of "madness" that Corbyn was proposing.

They Do but the difference is that they work together for the benefit of the whole not the assenine war that seems to go on quite often between unions and companies.

Coal miners and print unions are a case in point that killed their own industries with their stupid war with a Government that had a huge majority at the time. "

Thatcher destroyed those industries as she was hell bent on crushing the unions.

And we are still paying the price 40 years later,as we have an encomy reliant totally on hospitality and finance.

By *ittleAcornMan  over a year ago

Germany

Coal miners and print unions are a case in point that killed their own industries with their stupid war with a Government that had a huge majority at the time.

Thatcher destroyed those industries as she was hell bent on crushing the unions.

And we are still paying the price 40 years later,as we have an encomy reliant totally on hospitality and finance.

"

It wasn't just about crushing the Unions, but purposely changing the nature of the British economy.

There was too much potential power in the hands of the working man. It had to be moved into "safer" hands.

And to be fair, the print unions were an over paid, closed shop, trying to halt the progress of technology. They sort of brought it down on themselves.

Not to say they were treated well.

liverpool

Germany

It wasn't just about crushing the Unions, but purposely changing the nature of the British economy.

There was too much potential power in the hands of the working man. It had to be moved into "safer" hands.

And to be fair, the print unions were an over paid, closed shop, trying to halt the progress of technology. They sort of brought it down on themselves.

Not to say they were treated well. "

She could have comprised but that wasnt in her nature.

And people say labour wreck the economy..she is the most destructive pm we have ever had.

By *exy couple128Couple  over a year ago

Scarborough

Judging by all the people crossing the channel to get to Britain we must have more to offer than Europe or surely they would stay in France rather than risk there lives coming here.

liverpool

"Judging by all the people crossing the channel to get to Britain we must have more to offer than Europe or surely they would stay in France rather than risk there lives coming here."

I'm sure Patel will have the gunships ready

milton keynes

"Judging by all the people crossing the channel to get to Britain we must have more to offer than Europe or surely they would stay in France rather than risk there lives coming here."

They do seem very keen to be here which is odd given they just travelled across Europe

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

Germany

They have rules about employee representation on the board etc. the sort of "madness" that Corbyn was proposing."

Yes you’re right the workers are represented but by much less political unions. The unions look after workers not operate under a political banner.

In addition (this won’t be popular) most senior managers have to be well educated to succeed in a Germany. The U.K. education levels on older management have been based on the old boy network and back scratching rather than ability.

Combine bad unions and bad management and we end up with our manufacturing decimated and now 80% of our economy service related of which 50% is probably making sandwiches for each other at the local deli. Thatcher added to this by going way to far in attacking old industry.

Only 5-10% of the London city workers are back in the office. If we were a manufacturing economy they would be in work instead of just sending emails and spreadsheets to each other.

Our own government statistics released in 2018 state our economy will shrink by between 2-8% with recovery to where we started not happening for at least 10 years , this range is depending on a deal being made or hard Brexit. That’s their own numbers not the opposition.

» Add a new message to this topic