FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > The upcoming Exams U-turn

The upcoming Exams U-turn

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Do you think it'll be a full U-turn, resulting in use of teachers' predictions instead of the hated algorithm?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

"Do you think it'll be a full U-turn, resulting in use of teachers' predictions instead of the hated algorithm? "

Thats whats happening in Wales now.

It'll be interesting to hear the announcement and how they try and spin this fiasco.

I'm also curious what justification they'll give for the U-turn. Will they admit to previously trying to enforce something that plainly was incredibly unpopular? (I doubt it.)

And why are they (seemingly) about to cave in on this issue? They don't care about protests. They ignored huge pro remain protests. They ignored huge public anger against Cummings after his little holiday during the lockdown.

I reckon it's all to do with votes. They've realised they were pissing off a lot of people who were just reaching voting age + their parents, too.

Teacher assessed grades will now be used. It's official.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Teacher assessed grades will now be used. It's official."

Williamson should go..

It's good news the penny has dropped but his intransigence has put some young people through a needless horrific time..

"Teacher assessed grades will now be used. It's official.

Williamson should go..

It's good news the penny has dropped but his intransigence has put some young people through a needless horrific time.."

He should go. I doubt he will.

And yes it's been a ridiculous few days. There were months to see this situation coming. Months where results could have been modelled.

Then we saw how the situation played out in Scotland. Even then, we didn't reverse course. Only at the last hour has it been done.

At this point, many people have suffered needless heartache. And even with their new grades, I bet many will miss out on courses as they will now have been filled.

in Lancashire

"Teacher assessed grades will now be used. It's official.

Williamson should go..

It's good news the penny has dropped but his intransigence has put some young people through a needless horrific time..

He should go. I doubt he will.

And yes it's been a ridiculous few days. There were months to see this situation coming. Months where results could have been modelled.

Then we saw how the situation played out in Scotland. Even then, we didn't reverse course. Only at the last hour has it been done.

At this point, many people have suffered needless heartache. And even with their new grades, I bet many will miss out on courses as they will now have been filled. "

It's almost like Boris's

use of emotive language in relation to the September return for state schools was baseless and a chuck away comment..

I'm just watching a clip from a few days ago where Johnson was calling the A level results robust and good.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Excellent news for the pupils.

It is good news. Too little too late, though.

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

How much above last years is the average grade ,? In scotland it was 14%, while it's great for this years what about the other years that now may lose out due to having lower grades from taking an actual exam ? Just as well scrape all exams from now on and just let teachers decide, could do it with driving tests to just let the instructors give out passes like sweets

"How much above last years is the average grade ,? In scotland it was 14%, while it's great for this years what about the other years that now may lose out due to having lower grades from taking an actual exam ? Just as well scrape all exams from now on and just let teachers decide, could do it with driving tests to just let the instructors give out passes like sweets "

With the algorithm, A level grades were down compared to previous years. You can look that up for yourself if you wish.

Based on teacher assessments, I don't know how the grades will compare to previous years yet.

But the change had to be made. Many, many students were being punished despite having done nothing wrong. Many of them were downgraded simply because of the school they happened to be in, no matter how hard they had worked.

Gavin Williamson actually apologised. I really didn't think he would.

Will he go, though? No word on that yet.

bournemouth

"How much above last years is the average grade ,? In scotland it was 14%, while it's great for this years what about the other years that now may lose out due to having lower grades from taking an actual exam ? Just as well scrape all exams from now on and just let teachers decide, could do it with driving tests to just let the instructors give out passes like sweets

With the algorithm, A level grades were down compared to previous years. You can look that up for yourself if you wish.

Based on teacher assessments, I don't know how the grades will compare to previous years yet.

But the change had to be made. Many, many students were being punished despite having done nothing wrong. Many of them were downgraded simply because of the school they happened to be in, no matter how hard they had worked."

SOME may have been hard done by, but they had three options to take, what about all the other years that may get overlooked for a job because their result might be a grade Lower than this years what comeback do they have ? As I said it has made every exam pointless now why bother with the stress and expense, let's give everyone a A star

"How much above last years is the average grade ,? In scotland it was 14%, while it's great for this years what about the other years that now may lose out due to having lower grades from taking an actual exam ? Just as well scrape all exams from now on and just let teachers decide, could do it with driving tests to just let the instructors give out passes like sweets

But the change had to be made. Many, many students were being punished despite having done nothing wrong. Many of them were downgraded simply because of the school they happened to be in, no matter how hard they had worked.

SOME may have been hard done by, but they had three options to take, what about all the other years that may get overlooked for a job because their result might be a grade Lower than this years what comeback do they have ? As I said it has made every exam pointless now why bother with the stress and expense, let's give everyone a A star "

A lot more than SOME were hard done by.

And what useful option were they being given?

And people do have memories. We might well remember when Covid screwed everything up. Given that, we'll all know the grading system was different this year. Employers might even know that too.

in Lancashire

"I'm just watching a clip from a few days ago where Johnson was calling the A level results robust and good. "

If only he had said world beating..

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

Will students have the opportunity to choose the algorithm calculated grade if it is higher than the school/teacher predicted grade?

bournemouth

SOME may have been hard done by, but they had three options to take, what about all the other years that may get overlooked for a job because their result might be a grade Lower than this years what comeback do they have ? As I said it has made every exam pointless now why bother with the stress and expense, let's give everyone a A star

And people do have memories. We might well remember when Covid screwed everything up. Given that, we'll all know the grading system was different this year. Employers might even know that too."

They had three options, take the mock result, take the teacher grade or take the exam, we had this discussion thursday have you forgotten the options already or is it just another sad bash the government rant again

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

And people do have memories. We might well remember when Covid screwed everything up. Given that, we'll all know the grading system was different this year. Employers might even know that too.

They had three options, take the mock result, take the teacher grade or take the exam, we had this discussion thursday have you forgotten the options already or is it just another sad bash the government rant again "

the govt aren't exactly making it difficult to bash them are they yet another poorly planned policy thats ended in a u turn stop leaving open goals and people will stop smashing then in

They had three options, take the mock result, take the teacher grade or take the exam, we had this discussion thursday have you forgotten the options already or is it just another sad bash the government rant again "

I was curious if you would reference the facts or soemthing else. The so-called triple lock options were:

Students could accept their calculated grade, appeal to receive a valid mock result, or sit autumn exams.

I don't see a teacher-assessed option there. The teacher-assessed grade thing is only kicking in now after the U-turn.

All 3 of the options from the triple lock were lousy if any student had been downgraded. The calculated grades were what caused the problem for many students. They were unfairly downgraded. Appealing woul dhave done no good to students whose courses would have been filled by thee time they got a useful reply. And sitting later exams again would not help if their courses were filled by then.

(Sorry for the typos. I wrote that in a rush, in between work things.)

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

And people do have memories. We might well remember when Covid screwed everything up. Given that, we'll all know the grading system was different this year. Employers might even know that too."

It doesn't matter.

It only really affected pupils who went to state schools.

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"I'm just watching a clip from a few days ago where Johnson was calling the A level results robust and good. "

I'm sure a journalist will ask him about that any day now.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

They could literally shit on your head and you'd sing their praises....so funny

» Add a new message to this topic