FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Realisation Event

Realisation Event

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

For some governments the fact that Covid-19 was a 'thing' only hit home when their hospitals were overwhelmed and people died faster than they could bury them.

For Beruit the fact that storing 2750kg of of explosive material in a warehouse required a terrible explosion to catalyse realisation.

Right now the ice sheets are rising at a phenomenal rate, low altitude islands need to be evacuated and pharmaceutical companies can't make COPD inhalers fast enough.

What event do people think will bring Anthropological Climate Change to reality? Or will we be like the frogs in the heated pot who never jump out because change is too slow and too impersonal for us to react?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"For some governments the fact that Covid-19 was a 'thing' only hit home when their hospitals were overwhelmed and people died faster than they could bury them.

For Beruit the fact that storing 2750kg of of explosive material in a warehouse required a terrible explosion to catalyse realisation.

Right now the ice sheets are rising at a phenomenal rate, low altitude islands need to be evacuated and pharmaceutical companies can't make COPD inhalers fast enough.

What event do people think will bring Anthropological Climate Change to reality? Or will we be like the frogs in the heated pot who never jump out because change is too slow and too impersonal for us to react?"

Personally I think it's already too late. We could slow the inevitable but not prevent it.

I rwad an article somewhere, 2here captain cook visited the easter islands. Natives had tatty clothing and fishing canoes that were barely sea worthy, selling bits of carved driftwood for clothes tools etc.

Over about 100 years, the people had stripped a lush island into a barron one, that could barely sustain the survivors.

We're doing the same thing on a global scale, and sorry to say we're doomed to repeat the mistake.

"Easter Island, a warning for the future " i think it's called

"For some governments the fact that Covid-19 was a 'thing' only hit home when their hospitals were overwhelmed and people died faster than they could bury them.

What event do people think will bring Anthropological Climate Change to reality? Or will we be like the frogs in the heated pot who never jump out because change is too slow and too impersonal for us to react?

Personally I think it's already too late. We could slow the inevitable but not prevent it.

I rwad an article somewhere, 2here captain cook visited the easter islands. Natives had tatty clothing and fishing canoes that were barely sea worthy, selling bits of carved driftwood for clothes tools etc.

Over about 100 years, the people had stripped a lush island into a barron one, that could barely sustain the survivors.

We're doing the same thing on a global scale, and sorry to say we're doomed to repeat the mistake.

"

I worked for GSK making inhalers for COVID-19. Depite the fact that one line made 2 inhalers every second, we couldn't make them fast enough. Whenever we had a breakdown we were reminded that that people died from the lost production.

The COPD curve is exponential. It's just scary. Scientists say we won't drown. We will suffocate. Yet people like Trump are REVERSING all the environmental bills that Obama put in place as the first step towards saving our planet.

Sadly I have to agree with you. We're pretty much on a one way street to disaster.

But what would happen if the Thwaites Glacier collapsed into the sea and raised global sea levels by 11 feet? Would that be a wake up call?

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

If it's as bad as people say I'd say it's to late anyway. Being the age I am I've kind of stopped paying attention to it as since the age of about 10 every decade someone has been telling us as have ten years to save the planet but every ten years we are still here. After a while people just stop taking any notice

"If it's as bad as people say I'd say it's to late anyway. Being the age I am I've kind of stopped paying attention to it as since the age of about 10 every decade someone has been telling us as have ten years to save the planet but every ten years we are still here. After a while people just stop taking any notice"

That's nice. We go from denying the problem exists to saying it's too late to do anything about it without even a uh-oh moment in between?

But this is my point. Are we expecting a cataclysmic moment to end it all? Does the slow death our planet is currently experiencing prove that it isn't happening at all?

"If it's as bad as people say I'd say it's to late anyway. Being the age I am I've kind of stopped paying attention to it as since the age of about 10 every decade someone has been telling us as have ten years to save the planet but every ten years we are still here. After a while people just stop taking any notice

That's nice. We go from denying the problem exists to saying it's too late to do anything about it without even a uh-oh moment in between?

But this is my point. Are we expecting a cataclysmic moment to end it all? Does the slow death our planet is currently experiencing prove that it isn't happening at all?"

Reminds me of this Yes Minister bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSD1d-6P6qI

I read an article where studies were done on humans for the presence of microplastics. None of the organs were found to be free of microplastics.

10 years ago I didn't know microplastics existed.

borehamwood

"If it's as bad as people say I'd say it's to late anyway. Being the age I am I've kind of stopped paying attention to it as since the age of about 10 every decade someone has been telling us as have ten years to save the planet but every ten years we are still here. After a while people just stop taking any notice

But this is my point. Are we expecting a cataclysmic moment to end it all? Does the slow death our planet is currently experiencing prove that it isn't happening at all?"

hey thats just my opinion yours is different to mine.unless you or me qre climate scientists thats all they are is opinions.like one of my mates pointed out to me if we have already passed the point of no return do u think they ould make it public.just look at the way some have reacted to covid.like i said personaly ive heard this for the last 30 years tht the worlds about to become uninhabitle.if its already to late its to late.if not then get out there with xr and block some roads or glue yourself to a tube train.i dont own a car or use public transport for work.walk or cycle most places dont fly abroad 2 or 3 times a year or buy throwaway fashion.my carbon footprint is probably smaller than most peoples on here

But this is my point. Are we expecting a cataclysmic moment to end it all? Does the slow death our planet is currently experiencing prove that it isn't happening at all?

hey thats just my opinion yours is different to mine.unless you or me qre climate scientists thats all they are is opinions.like one of my mates pointed out to me if we have already passed the point of no return do u think they ould make it public.just look at the way some have reacted to covid.like i said personaly ive heard this for the last 30 years tht the worlds about to become uninhabitle.if its already to late its to late.if not then get out there with xr and block some roads or glue yourself to a tube train.i dont own a car or use public transport for work.walk or cycle most places dont fly abroad 2 or 3 times a year or buy throwaway fashion.my carbon footprint is probably smaller than most peoples on here"

You are absolutely correct in that what you say and what I say on fab is just opinion.

Right now there is a lot of money being spent on doing scientific research to provide us with data. You can read up on ESAs Copernicus project. Sentinel Satelites etc.

Sadly having a low carbon footprint isn't going to turn things around.

Firstly you have to ask yourself questions like.... Do you believe that 20% of our oxygen comes from the Amazon rain forest? If so do you wonder what the effect is of the rapid destruction of that rain forest is...

This one example... there are a number of tipping points that we are very close to. Once one of them goes it will set the others off. These effects will be self sustaining and irreversible.

Covid-19 brought home the reality of pandemics. What will it take to make Anthropological Climate Change a reality for the man on the street?

borehamwood

civid hasnt brought the reality if pandemics to vaste swathes of the planets populaton.look at the way people are carrying on.we in ylthe midfle of a pandemic so hundreds if thousands think i know wats a goid idea lets fly of to different parts of the planet.great idea.and all these youngsters who were so worried about climate change low and behild its there age groups that is spreading through the most as the must go and protest or go and get shit faced.my town last week warehouse party nearlly thousand kids from over the southeast rocking up on our doorstep.bet you hakf the clowns who were bringing london to a standstill last year are the same ones who are going nuts every weekend now

borehamwood

also if a low carbon fiit print aint gina help why do xr want us out of our cars not using oil and to stop eating meat.thought it was all about our carbon footprint or are they lying about that?

"also if a low carbon fiit print aint gina help why do xr want us out of our cars not using oil and to stop eating meat.thought it was all about our carbon footprint or are they lying about that?"

Our world isn't going to be saved by us putting potplants in the window and eating a salad once a week.

Governments need to pass laws that protect the environment and for those laws to be passed we need to take back our leadership from those who have sold their souls to rich industrialists.

In 2019 Netflix released a documentary which warned us of the danger of a global pandemic. In 2020 our leaders described the pandemic as "unforeseeable".

When the same thing happens with the world's environment will our leaders patronise us and say it was unforeseeable? Will we once again nod our heads and agree? Not that it will matter.

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

There’s a theory why we haven’t found life on other planets yet.

“Intelligent” life discovers technology and then self destructs either through war of destruction of their environment.

Until the worlds production economy China and the worlds dictators get scared my monies on the destruction of the environment.

Then again if Trump gets a second term maybe he will just have to press that red button just once !

What event do people think will bring

Anthropological Climate Change to reality? Or will we be like the frogs in the heated pot who never jump out because change is too slow and too impersonal for us to react?"

which low level islands? Do you mean the Maldives? The islands that were due to be under water around the early 2000's...and Lower Manhattan by 2013/14. Think Al Gore said that the arctic was going to be ice-free around that time too. My friend that lives in Montana said that they put up signs dotted around glacier national park stating 'Gone by

2020'....that part was true at least. All the signs started disappearing in 2019....the glaciers are thriving however....Oh and the Maldives opened another airport a year or two ago and billions of dollars investment saw a whole host of brand new tourist areas popping up around the islands. Pretty daft to do that when the islands are due to go under the sea in errm 15 years ago.

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

Art is sea ice is declining at 12% over the average for September each year .

The open sea absorbed more heat for the sun making it warmer and less prone to freeze again accelerating the decline .

Some argue it’s natural but studies show natural variations have never reached such dramatic changes .

The only conclusion is climate change after all other options were studied and ruled out.

Having a date to fix decline bu is foolish but decline is happening and that’s fact.

So when you say we’ll the weld don’t end yesterday you’re right but it’s wether patterns are changing and it’s getting warmer.

In reference to the Amazon if the wether patterns change to much the millions of tons of sand which lifts up the the atmosphere to land in the Amazon resulting in life generating mineral deposits then the Amazon is fucked.

So cutting it down just adds to the acceleration of climate change .

Very pathetic how we ignore the obvious because we don’t have an answer or just don’t care. Either way it’s looking bleak for our descendants .

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

I worked for GSK making inhalers for COVID-19. Depite the fact that one line made 2 inhalers every second, we couldn't make them fast enough. Whenever we had a breakdown we were reminded that that people died from the lost production.

The COPD curve is exponential. It's just scary. Scientists say we won't drown. We will suffocate. Yet people like Trump are REVERSING all the environmental bills that Obama put in place as the first step towards saving our planet.

Sadly I have to agree with you. We're pretty much on a one way street to disaster.

But what would happen if the Thwaites Glacier collapsed into the sea and raised global sea levels by 11 feet? Would that be a wake up call?"

Not sure where you get your facts but according to Antarctic glaciers.org if it melted completely it would raise sea levels by 65 cm not 11 ft.

But what would happen if the Thwaites Glacier collapsed into the sea and raised global sea levels by 11 feet? Would that be a wake up call?

Not sure where you get your facts but according to Antarctic glaciers.org if it melted completely it would raise sea levels by 65 cm not 11 ft.

"

A roughly 20-mile stretch of Thwaites had fractured into mile-long icebergs that were now being blown out into the bay in front of Thwaites. ... Thwaites Glacier is melting fast, and scientists fear its collapse could one day destabilize surrounding glaciers and eventually trigger up to 11 feet of global sea level rise.

"Collapse" and "melt" aren't interchangeable in meaning or effect.

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

A roughly 20-mile stretch of Thwaites had fractured into mile-long icebergs that were now being blown out into the bay in front of Thwaites. ... Thwaites Glacier is melting fast, and scientists fear its collapse could one day destabilize surrounding glaciers and eventually trigger up to 11 feet of global sea level rise."

Have you looked at the site I quoted ,? If so are you saying they are wrong ?

""Collapse" and "melt" aren't interchangeable in meaning or effect."

Have you watched One Strange Rock on Netflix?

Think I will interest you if you've not, had me glued to it

A roughly 20-mile stretch of Thwaites had fractured into mile-long icebergs that were now being blown out into the bay in front of Thwaites. ... Thwaites Glacier is melting fast, and scientists fear its collapse could one day destabilize surrounding glaciers and eventually trigger up to 11 feet of global sea level rise.

Have you looked at the site I quoted ,? If so are you saying they are wrong ?"

Perhaps I went to the wrong site. It didn't look like any scientific website I have ever seen. Got a link?

I appreciate you pushing back. It's good to have one's opinions challenged.

You are correct that the volume of the water held in the Thwaites Glacier would raise sea levels 65cm. However the Thwaites Glacier would not be able to collapse without affecting nearby glaciers. Here I am referring to the "cascading effect of collapsing glaciers" for which there is a lot of info on the web.

Someone else has written an article on this syndrome, except focused on the Covid-19 aspect...

"Social scientists have long known that we perceive risks that are acute, such as an impending tsunami, differently than chronic, ever-present threats like car accidents. Part of what’s happening is that covid-19 — which we initially saw as a terrifying acute threat — is morphing into more of a chronic one in our minds. That shift likely dulls our perception of the danger"

And so it is with Anthropological Climate change. As my learned friend has pointed out, we've been lectured on the subject for so long we're numb to it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/covid-risks-stop-seeming-so-scary/2020/08/21/09c286c4-cc49-11ea-bc6a-6841b28d9093_story.html

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

"What event do people think will bring Anthropological Climate Change to reality?"

If God suddenly put in an appearance on Fox News and told the world "Look, I already killed off most of you once; and now you're doing it again, by yourselves, you stupid cunts! Give it a fucking rest, why don't you?"

It wouldn't make any difference. Humanity isn't going to make it - because it doesn't deserve to.

» Add a new message to this topic