FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > George Osborne says English people don't care if northern Ireland leaves the union

George Osborne says English people don't care if northern Ireland leaves the union

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ichiebig OP   Man  over a year ago

nenagh

George Osborne writing in the standard Last week says that a United Ireland is happening before our eyes,and along with other things said that most English people don't care

So do the English people care or not if northern Ireland leaves the union

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"George Osborne writing in the standard Last week says that a United Ireland is happening before our eyes,and along with other things said that most English people don't care

So do the English people care or not if northern Ireland leaves the union "

I care, but I think it should be left to the people of NI to decide based on a binding referendum. I think after Brexit it is inevitable that where will be a united Ireland and NI will prosper

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

It’s only a matter of time and rightly so

"George Osborne writing in the standard Last week says that a United Ireland is happening before our eyes,and along with other things said that most English people don't care

I care more that the peace holds.

I care, but I think it should be left to the people of NI to decide based on a binding referendum. I think after Brexit it is inevitable that where will be a united Ireland and NI will prosper "

What about people in ROI? Should they get a say if they want NI back?

By *rmrspumpCouple  over a year ago

narnia

I care, but I think it should be left to the people of NI to decide based on a binding referendum. I think after Brexit it is inevitable that where will be a united Ireland and NI will prosper

What about people in ROI? Should they get a say if they want NI back?"

My understanding is that under the GFA if the necessary demographics exist to trigger a border poll that it will be an all island referendum

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Let the people of Northern Island decide. Self determination.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Let the people of Northern Island decide. Self determination. "

Pretty much this, tbh Boris is on dodgy ground if he keeps on denying others their right to this after we've just left the EU..

narnia

"Let the people of Northern Island decide. Self determination.

Pretty much this, tbh Boris is on dodgy ground if he keeps on denying others their right to this after we've just left the EU.."

The DUP are in full damage control mode here. The used the big stick that they were handed by Theresa May to achieve their narrow minded goals, but when the maths changed and they got shafted by Boris, they suddey realised that they'd probably done more for Irish unity than Gerry Adams

My understanding is that under the GFA if the necessary demographics exist to trigger a border poll that it will be an all island referendum "

I expect that would be a very close call referendum.

thornaby

My understanding is that under the GFA if the necessary demographics exist to trigger a border poll that it will be an all island referendum

I expect that would be a very close call referendum."

do you agree woth referendums ?

I expect that would be a very close call referendum. do you agree woth referendums ?"

If the campaigns are fought honestly and fairly with integrity, are legally funded, and aren't based on a pack of lies.

However if you want to drag me into yet another brexit complain-a-thon where people end up running out of pro-brexit arguments and end up telling me "remoaners should shut up or leave the UK", then I'm genuinely not interested.

thornaby

I expect that would be a very close call referendum. do you agree woth referendums ?

If the campaigns are fought honestly and fairly with integrity, are legally funded, and aren't based on a pack of lies.

However if you want to drag me into yet another brexit complain-a-thon where people end up running out of pro-brexit arguments and end up telling me "remoaners should shut up or leave the UK", then I'm genuinely not interested. "

and don’t forget both sides have equal spends tho eh

I expect that would be a very close call referendum. do you agree woth referendums ?

However if you want to drag me into yet another brexit complain-a-thon where people end up running out of pro-brexit arguments and end up telling me "remoaners should shut up or leave the UK", then I'm genuinely not interested. and don’t forget both sides have equal spends tho eh"

Unsubscribe

However if you want to drag me into yet another brexit complain-a-thon where people end up running out of pro-brexit arguments and end up telling me "remoaners should shut up or leave the UK", then I'm genuinely not interested. "

Translation:- if they go the way I want

Like the the Scottish referendum :

How many of them

Can ni rejoin the union in the future and have further referendums to dplit with the roi?

Forgot to add.. George Osborne is a piece of shit

"Forgot to add.. George Osborne is a piece of shit "

Now we're talking.

"Forgot to add.. George Osborne is a piece of shit

Now we're talking."

Or "cac" as the Irish would say

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Obviously though if we are talking referendums. What could possibly go wrong........................

By *inkyguy12Man  over a year ago

my own little world

I work with a lot of guys from the ROI and Northern Ireland and Scotland and us English guys wind the Irish guys a lot about the united ireland saying we will throw Scotland in for free lol and they don’t want the Northern Ireland to be joined to them and the Northern Ireland guys see themselves as English and don’t want to be part of the united ireland, it seems all the Scottish want out and they think it’s the English holding them back and I have said most people in England don’t actually care wether the Scottish leave the uk if they go I just ask what currency are you going to use as you won’t be using the uk pound and the Scottish pound isn’t a recognised currency

narnia

"I work with a lot of guys from the ROI and Northern Ireland and Scotland and us English guys wind the Irish guys a lot about the united ireland saying we will throw Scotland in for free lol and they don’t want the Northern Ireland to be joined to them and the Northern Ireland guys see themselves as English and don’t want to be part of the united ireland, it seems all the Scottish want out and they think it’s the English holding them back and I have said most people in England don’t actually care wether the Scottish leave the uk if they go I just ask what currency are you going to use as you won’t be using the uk pound and the Scottish pound isn’t a recognised currency "

A poll conducted in NI just this week indicated 51% in favour of unification, I think you need a bigger sample size

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"I work with a lot of guys from the ROI and Northern Ireland and Scotland and us English guys wind the Irish guys a lot about the united ireland saying we will throw Scotland in for free lol and they don’t want the Northern Ireland to be joined to them and the Northern Ireland guys see themselves as English and don’t want to be part of the united ireland, it seems all the Scottish want out and they think it’s the English holding them back and I have said most people in England don’t actually care wether the Scottish leave the uk if they go I just ask what currency are you going to use as you won’t be using the uk pound and the Scottish pound isn’t a recognised currency "
Im actually looking forward to seeing her proposals how she is going to rejoin the eu and what they are going to do in the mean time,how she is going to manage the boarder with England,what currency they intend to use,how much she is going to have to raise taxes.Thats without defence spending a commitment to nato etc, etc. Its going to make fascinating reading.

By *inkyguy12Man  over a year ago

my own little world

Like I said it was just from the guys I work with obviously it doesn’t speak for all but its just interesting hearing from the Irish side of things how they see it all

What about people in ROI? Should they get a say if they want NI back?"

Of course, that would make more sense

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

I care that NI and Scotland is part of the union, I blame leavers for this, they were so short sighted and didn’t think about the consequences to our nation!

If the union breaks up, lay the entire blame on brexiteers and their leaders.

I care that NI and Scotland is part of the union, I blame leavers for this, they were so short sighted and didn’t think about the consequences to our nation!

If the union breaks up, lay the entire blame on brexiteers and their leaders. "

The question was do you want to leave the EU. It did not say did we in Northern Ireland want to leave but have a border down the Irish sea. Shafted again by Westminster.

As a Unionist I am now beginning to think the way forward is a New Ireland.

People are wanting to leave the Union not because of Brexit but because Westminster is run totally by the English no matter who is voted in by the Scotch, Welsh or Northern Irish they really have no say and you can see they do not care when the place is empty for discussions.

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

"The question was do you want to leave the EU. It did not say did we in Northern Ireland want to leave but have a border down the Irish sea. Shafted again by Westminster.

People are wanting to leave the Union not because of Brexit but because Westminster is run totally by the English no matter who is voted in by the Scotch, Welsh or Northern Irish they really have no say and you can see they do not care when the place is empty for discussions."

Scots or Scottish, but never the drink

"The question was do you want to leave the EU. It did not say did we in Northern Ireland want to leave but have a border down the Irish sea. Shafted again by Westminster.

People are wanting to leave the Union not because of Brexit but because Westminster is run totally by the English no matter who is voted in by the Scotch, Welsh or Northern Irish they really have no say and you can see they do not care when the place is empty for discussions."

In fairness to the current shower of morons in Westminster. They had very little choice but to put a customs border between NI and GB.

By *ust some cock suckerMan  over a year ago

Preston

I don't care if NI leave or if Scotland leaves the union.

If a majority wants a referendum they should have one.

Worked for a few years in England just outside London, many always brought up where i was from (belfast) mostly stating that Ireland should be one and alot of these lads served as British soldiers during the height of troubles, as for the younger people some didnt even know where was Belfast was and couldnt care less... Politics is shifting its becoming more inwards than outwards with people, meaning too many fighting over stupid tags and whatever. Regardless of my view of the country i do think the time is coming for the referendum but as Arlene Foster pointed out we need to concentrate on getting past Covid first.

By *ilkysmooth123Man  over a year ago

nr sedbergh

"I work with a lot of guys from the ROI and Northern Ireland and Scotland and us English guys wind the Irish guys a lot about the united ireland saying we will throw Scotland in for free lol and they don’t want the Northern Ireland to be joined to them and the Northern Ireland guys see themselves as English and don’t want to be part of the united ireland, it seems all the Scottish want out and they think it’s the English holding them back and I have said most people in England don’t actually care wether the Scottish leave the uk if they go I just ask what currency are you going to use as you won’t be using the uk pound and the Scottish pound isn’t a recognised currency

A poll conducted in NI just this week indicated 51% in favour of unification, I think you need a bigger sample size "

I think the poll said that 51% are in favour of a referendum.This isnt the same as 51% are in favour of unification.

"Worked for a few years in England just outside London, many always brought up where i was from (belfast) mostly stating that Ireland should be one and alot of these lads served as British soldiers during the height of troubles, as for the younger people some didnt even know where was Belfast was and couldnt care less... Politics is shifting its becoming more inwards than outwards with people, meaning too many fighting over stupid tags and whatever. Regardless of my view of the country i do think the time is coming for the referendum but as Arlene Foster pointed out we need to concentrate on getting past Covid first. "

Is there any indication how people in the ROI would vote?

narnia

"I work with a lot of guys from the ROI and Northern Ireland and Scotland and us English guys wind the Irish guys a lot about the united ireland saying we will throw Scotland in for free lol and they don’t want the Northern Ireland to be joined to them and the Northern Ireland guys see themselves as English and don’t want to be part of the united ireland, it seems all the Scottish want out and they think it’s the English holding them back and I have said most people in England don’t actually care wether the Scottish leave the uk if they go I just ask what currency are you going to use as you won’t be using the uk pound and the Scottish pound isn’t a recognised currency

A poll conducted in NI just this week indicated 51% in favour of unification, I think you need a bigger sample size

I think the poll said that 51% are in favour of a referendum.This isnt the same as 51% are in favour of unification."

Just read ot again and yes, up are correct, however it's fairly reasonable to assume that those in favour of a poll would generally be in favour of unity, given the depth of opinion against a poll in the Unionist community

By *nciaCouple  over a year ago

ardee

"Worked for a few years in England just outside London, many always brought up where i was from (belfast) mostly stating that Ireland should be one and alot of these lads served as British soldiers during the height of troubles, as for the younger people some didnt even know where was Belfast was and couldnt care less... Politics is shifting its becoming more inwards than outwards with people, meaning too many fighting over stupid tags and whatever. Regardless of my view of the country i do think the time is coming for the referendum but as Arlene Foster pointed out we need to concentrate on getting past Covid first.

Is there any indication how people in the ROI would vote?"

I think the ROI would probably be around 80% in favour.

Would be closer to 95%+ odd except a lot here would find it hard to accept any changes to a flag/anthem etc in event of a united ireland and having the likes of the DUP having any input here would be hard to swallow.

Unless you're a DUP hardliner you cant deny these people are from the stone ages.

It was Boris ruined it with protocol.

We were asked you do you want to leave the EU not leave but stay part of it.

By *irtylittletramp100TV/TS  over a year ago

Notts

george has never met me!

By *uliaChrisCouple  over a year ago

westerham

However if you want to drag me into yet another brexit complain-a-thon where people end up running out of pro-brexit arguments and end up telling me "remoaners should shut up or leave the UK", then I'm genuinely not interested.

Translation:- if they go the way I want "

By *illi3736Woman  over a year ago

Glasgow

It is due to the arrogance of Messrs Thatcher, Cameron and Osbourne and there ilk and the way they have treated Scotland,Wales and N Ireland that indepenence is a very live issue.......Time the people in Govt made an effort to convince the other nations that interest extends further than Watford.

thornaby

"It is due to the arrogance of Messrs Thatcher, Cameron and Osbourne and there ilk and the way they have treated Scotland,Wales and N Ireland that indepenence is a very live issue.......Time the people in Govt made an effort to convince the other nations that interest extends further than Watford. "

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

No I think it is a good thing they should be one nation,solve a lot of problems.Ireland is an island.England,Wales and Scotland is an island easy logic

By *illi3736Woman  over a year ago

Glasgow

I think it is a terrible slur on the peope of Northern ireland who have supported the UK in times of trouble notably 1939-45. We asked for and got the help we needed, it is payback time. Time to show commitment to those who have backed the UK.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

George said the quiet bit out loud.. look at the way the tories threw the DUP under the bus to get out of the EU... I think there are a lot of people who think it but won’t say it for fear of being labelled as hypocritical

» Add a new message to this topic