FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Digital Fraud

Digital Fraud

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *oo hot OP   Couple  over a year ago

North West

So here we are in 2021 and we are living in an advanced first world society, yet we are faced on a daily basis with scam phone calls, scam texts and scam emails.

How can it not be possible with the technology that is available to simply stop this shit? Anyone aged 50+ with any degree of cognitive dysfunction could do easily be taken from any one of the hundreds of fraud attempts that come through as a relentless onslaught.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I agree. Every single day I get emails trying to entice me to part with money. Quite often I order an item from ‘that company’, and within twelve hours get a scamming email to say I need to pay more for delivery. Does anybody get this, in the timeframe?

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

"I agree. Every single day I get emails trying to entice me to part with money. Quite often I order an item from ‘that company’, and within twelve hours get a scamming email to say I need to pay more for delivery. Does anybody get this, in the timeframe?"

Yep, all the time.

But don't worry, the government-run Covid Passport System will be totally safe, uncrackable, unscammable and way more secure than anything on the planet.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

I worry for my Dad he’s getting on a bit. Having someone scream down the phone you are going to get arrested is not nice for that generation or any for that matter.

It’s certainly ramped up a bit.

North West

I am very surprised that this cannot be nipped in the bud and just stopped. It is 2021 and we are an advanced first world nation with surely the the technical know how to identify where these calls, texts and emails are coming from?

They are using a transmission medium that is controlled and so it should not be too hard to identify the miscreants surely? ... Unless it is just not viewed as a serious crime?

By *uliaChrisCouple  over a year ago

westerham

"I am very surprised that this cannot be nipped in the bud and just stopped. It is 2021 and we are an advanced first world nation with surely the the technical know how to identify where these calls, texts and emails are coming from?

They are using a transmission medium that is controlled and so it should not be too hard to identify the miscreants surely? ... Unless it is just not viewed as a serious crime? "

It's not viewed as a serious crime (check the "action fraud" call handling scandal recently) and even if it was, you're talking about electronic surveillance that the bleeding heart liberals like Shami and Liberty and various other woke underemployed humanities graduates would scream the house down about.

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

Its definitely getting worse.

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"I am very surprised that this cannot be nipped in the bud and just stopped. It is 2021 and we are an advanced first world nation with surely the the technical know how to identify where these calls, texts and emails are coming from?

They are using a transmission medium that is controlled and so it should not be too hard to identify the miscreants surely? ... Unless it is just not viewed as a serious crime?

It's not viewed as a serious crime (check the "action fraud" call handling scandal recently) and even if it was, you're talking about electronic surveillance that the bleeding heart liberals like Shami and Liberty and various other woke underemployed humanities graduates would scream the house down about. "

Stop being silly.

There is a slight difference between protecting peoples Human rights and huge scale fraod.

By *uliaChrisCouple  over a year ago

westerham

It's not viewed as a serious crime (check the "action fraud" call handling scandal recently) and even if it was, you're talking about electronic surveillance that the bleeding heart liberals like Shami and Liberty and various other woke underemployed humanities graduates would scream the house down about.

Stop being silly.

There is a slight difference between protecting peoples Human rights and huge scale fraod."

If you believe in end to end encryption for social media and that the state should not do anything to stop it then that's what enables the fraud in the OP to occur

By *andS66Couple  over a year ago

Derby

"I worry for my Dad he’s getting on a bit. Having someone scream down the phone you are going to get arrested is not nice for that generation or any for that matter.

It’s certainly ramped up a bit. "

One of our parents lives with us. In their 80's, and every day with phone or iPad in hand asks if they should answer something or other.

Only got to press the wrong button by mistake....

And then there's the phone calls they get....

The older generation are so vulnerable to this.

My mother at one point was paying two phone bill's, bought "special electric plugs" that "would save her electricity" and was giving cash every month to a couple who knocked on her door to sponsor a child in Africa.

I was there once when "BT" called and told her she needed to pay a bill over the phone or she'd get cut off....and BT wasn't even one of the companies she was paying her two phone bills with!

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

They are using a transmission medium that is controlled and so it should not be too hard to identify the miscreants surely? ... Unless it is just not viewed as a serious crime? "

it’s probably not viewed as a serious crime like you said until a top politician as his bank account emptied lol

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

definitely can be stopped and yes they can trace from where I do suspect it's largely down to not effect me and money.i used to deliver loads of shite all office was bothered about was that they had paid there account.

By *ionaScarletTV/TS  over a year ago

Dundee

"So here we are in 2021 and we are living in an advanced first world society, yet we are faced on a daily basis with scam phone calls, scam texts and scam emails.

How can it not be possible with the technology that is available to simply stop this shit? Anyone aged 50+ with any degree of cognitive dysfunction could do easily be taken from any one of the hundreds of fraud attempts that come through as a relentless onslaught."

Hello... professional clever person and software developer here

The tech is not the problem. People are. They are dumb and easily manipulated. Me included.

All the software in the world can't help if you are on facebook using your real name, date of birth and phone number, then like a picture of a cat that your best friend shared with you.

Sharing posts is like unprotected sex - you don't know where its been or who it came from. And as I'm sure you know, if you shared a post - you can see who has "liked" it.

And thats just the very tip of the iceberg of techniques that scammers will use to pry useful information from you. Insecure passwords, following clickbait articles... the list goes on. Ever post your CV on a jobsite? linkedin? bet that has your phone number on it right? Mine did - till I took them all down.

And all it takes is one breach - and that data will get traded around and added to till a dossier gets built up on you that'll have the right info that a scammer can use to snag you.

And nobody is immune - nobody. Not even me and I'm supposed to know all about this kind of stuff. I got scammed when I was looking for a job - got an email saying "we like your CV" and a number to call. So I called it. I twigged after about 30 seconds on hold. But sure enough it was a premium rate number and 30 secs cost me something like a £1.50.

Computer/Communication security is only as strong as its weakest link. And that weak link is always you.

always...

North West

"So here we are in 2021 and we are living in an advanced first world society, yet we are faced on a daily basis with scam phone calls, scam texts and scam emails.

How can it not be possible with the technology that is available to simply stop this shit? Anyone aged 50+ with any degree of cognitive dysfunction could do easily be taken from any one of the hundreds of fraud attempts that come through as a relentless onslaught.

Hello... professional clever person and software developer here

The tech is not the problem. People are. They are dumb and easily manipulated. Me included.

All the software in the world can't help if you are on facebook using your real name, date of birth and phone number, then like a picture of a cat that your best friend shared with you.

Sharing posts is like unprotected sex - you don't know where its been or who it came from. And as I'm sure you know, if you shared a post - you can see who has "liked" it.

And thats just the very tip of the iceberg of techniques that scammers will use to pry useful information from you. Insecure passwords, following clickbait articles... the list goes on. Ever post your CV on a jobsite? linkedin? bet that has your phone number on it right? Mine did - till I took them all down.

And all it takes is one breach - and that data will get traded around and added to till a dossier gets built up on you that'll have the right info that a scammer can use to snag you.

And nobody is immune - nobody. Not even me and I'm supposed to know all about this kind of stuff. I got scammed when I was looking for a job - got an email saying "we like your CV" and a number to call. So I called it. I twigged after about 30 seconds on hold. But sure enough it was a premium rate number and 30 secs cost me something like a £1.50.

Computer/Communication security is only as strong as its weakest link. And that weak link is always you.

always..."

Ok but that was not really the point of the post.

People are getting called, texted and emails by professional criminals.

It’s just a numbers game that they play knowing that they will get successes.

This thread is not about digital identity theft,

» Add a new message to this topic