FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Did Boris play Politics with AZ ?

Did Boris play Politics with AZ ?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Under-30s in the UK are to be offered an alternative Covid vaccine to the AstraZeneca jab due to the evidence linking it to rare blood clots.

The recommendation comes after a review by the UK drugs regulator found that by the end of March 79 people had suffered rare blood clots after vaccination - 19 of whom had died.

The usual suspects amongst the Leavers amongst us

Claimed the EU played politics instead of Saving lives ?

Should Boris be held accountable for not acting quicker?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *eanoCoolMan  over a year ago

wisbech

As far as I can see the decision today has been made by the regulator after reviewing the evidence available, just the same as the European regulator has also reviewed and changed its recommendation today, both these bodies are independent so I cant really see what this has to do with boris and the tories or any other political party here or abroad for that matter. I do believe to start with in the EU it was being used as a political tool, my reason for this being that the European regulator had said the vaccine was fine but certain EU members still blocked its usage. Most countries including here and the US have simply followed there own medical regulators advice and acted accordingly as and when information has been issued.

So you seem to think that The EU just wanted a fight

Rather than be more concerned with peoples safety ?

Thats a brave position to take .

wisbech

"So you seem to think that The EU just wanted a fight

Thats a brave position to take ."

No i don't think the EU wanted a fight, I didn't say the EU,I said some EU countries were or seemed to be using it politically because they would still not offer the vaccine even after the European regulator had approved it, if this was not the case then why did certain countries still not offer the vaccine?, surely its either political or they don't trust there own regulator, not sure which is worse in that case to be honest.

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

"Under-30s in the UK are to be offered an alternative Covid vaccine to the AstraZeneca jab due to the evidence linking it to rare blood clots.

The recommendation comes after a review by the UK drugs regulator found that by the end of March 79 people had suffered rare blood clots after vaccination - 19 of whom had died.

Should Boris be held accountable for not acting quicker?"

Wow 19 died from what 19 million plus vaccinations so less than a one in a million chance of dying, against 1 to 3 percent chance of dying from covid, that's a very very low chance of having an issue against the benefits of the vaccine.

"Under-30s in the UK are to be offered an alternative Covid vaccine to the AstraZeneca jab due to the evidence linking it to rare blood clots.

Wow 19 died from what 19 million plus vaccinations so less than a one in a million chance of dying, against 1 to 3 percent chance of dying from covid, that's a very very low chance of having an issue against the benefits of the vaccine.

"

Yes but again this is about the EU playing politics aswuoted by many on here .

As the UK now say under 30s will be offered something different to AZ , is he just playing politics .AZ have obviously decided to restrict further new supplies of AZ & therefore under 30s will indeed receive a newer vaccine .

This could purely be down to Political play rather than blood clots !

No i don't think the EU wanted a fight, I didn't say the EU,I said some EU countries were or seemed to be using it politically because they would still not offer the vaccine even after the European regulator had approved it, if this was not the case then why did certain countries still not offer the vaccine?, surely its either political or they don't trust there own regulator, not sure which is worse in that case to be honest."

So why are the UK govt now saying we dont trust AZ for the under 30s ? Surely it shows that it can not be trusted or that it is purely a political move .

Or are you saying the EU could possibly have been correct ?

bournemouth

Yes but again this is about the EU playing politics aswuoted by many on here .

As the UK now say under 30s will be offered something different to AZ , is he just playing politics .AZ have obviously decided to restrict further new supplies of AZ & therefore under 30s will indeed receive a newer vaccine .

This could purely be down to Political play rather than blood clots !"

The eu fucked up their vaccine decisions, they have been blaming AZ for it, if that is playing politics then that's life, we are probably using the new vaccine for the under 30's to make sure we have enough AZ doses to give to those who have had it for their first dose. Not everything is playing politics and if AZ are under pressure over production and we have access to enough other vaccines and decide to use it how is that playing politics ?

bournemouth

No i don't think the EU wanted a fight, I didn't say the EU,I said some EU countries were or seemed to be using it politically because they would still not offer the vaccine even after the European regulator had approved it, if this was not the case then why did certain countries still not offer the vaccine?, surely its either political or they don't trust there own regulator, not sure which is worse in that case to be honest.

So why are the UK govt now saying we dont trust AZ for the under 30s ? Surely it shows that it can not be trusted or that it is purely a political move .

Or are you saying the EU could possibly have been correct ?"

They arent saying that at all,the EU, the UK and every other country that is using all vaccines are approving them via their regulatory bodies, it's only political in your head

wisbech

Because that is what the regulator has now advised, and they are following there advice plain and simple really. As the other poster said to you its only political in your head.You seem like you want to twist people's words and start an argument and not debate just like so many others, pointless.

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

Maybe the people who are trying to demonise the AZ vaccine should take a better look at the Pfizer figures

Not much of a difference

By *amish SMan  over a year ago

Eastleigh

And the Moderna one is being investigated in the US. No matter what vaccine, the benefits far out way the known and potential side effects.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

The eu EMA have always been correct (but a bit slow) it was various leaders that were wrong. Macron, Merkel 1st no AZ vaccine for over 65s then not for anyone over 55 they couldnt have got it more wrong.

bournemouth

I'm one skiing forum with lots of people who live in france,one has his first jab monday and given his second dose date for the 2nd of july so despite Macron's belly aching they are now doing extended time between doses.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Both the UK regulators and the EMA (European medicine agency) cam up with the same conclusion, which was that the condition should be listed as a very rare side effect when it comes to the vaccine.... the uk decide to put an age restrictions on it, the EMA actually didn’t.......

You can’t accuse EU countries of playing politics by having an age restrictions when the UK decide to also put one on... the only disagreement is how much they came to the age restriction policy

The EU looked at the cases and all of them with this side effect have been in people under 60.....

The UK looked at it as a risk reward conclusion where because the likelyhood of severe Covid go up the older you are, you don’t get as much benefit in vaccinating the younger people over the risk of the severe side effect

near ipswich

"Both the UK regulators and the EMA (European medicine agency) cam up with the same conclusion, which was that the condition should be listed as a very rare side effect when it comes to the vaccine.... the uk decide to put an age restrictions on it, the EMA actually didn’t.......

You can’t accuse EU countries of playing politics by having an age restrictions when the UK decide to also put one on... the only disagreement is how much they came to the age restriction policy

The EU looked at the cases and all of them with this side effect have been in people under 60.....

The UK looked at it as a risk reward conclusion where because the likelyhood of severe Covid go up the older you are, you don’t get as much benefit in vaccinating the younger people over the risk of the severe side effect "

so why did macron and merkel say no one over 60 should have it and this was way before any blood clotting had been suspected.So yes i can accuse them of playing politics as they got it spectacularly wrong.

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

"Both the UK regulators and the EMA (European medicine agency) cam up with the same conclusion, which was that the condition should be listed as a very rare side effect when it comes to the vaccine.... the uk decide to put an age restrictions on it, the EMA actually didn’t.......

The UK looked at it as a risk reward conclusion where because the likelyhood of severe Covid go up the older you are, you don’t get as much benefit in vaccinating the younger people over the risk of the severe side effect so why did macron and merkel say no one over 60 should have it and this was way before any blood clotting had been suspected.So yes i can accuse them of playing politics as they got it spectacularly wrong."

Quite right. It's been individual European countries playing politics and getting it wrong badly. The EU medical regulators seem to be in agreement with the UK all be it taking far longer

It could be that AZ have burnt there bridges in Eurooe by ignoring Upfront payments on Orders .

A smear campaign on AZ if you like ,

AZ seems to be out performing most with the amounts being used worldwide ,meanwhile Expensive Pfizer are doing ok

Modena im not so sure , and still Johnsons 1 shot jab to come as well as others .

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Should Boris be held accountable for not acting quicker?"

No this has clearly been dictated by the science,there is nothing to suggest otherwise.

wisbech

There is also novovax but I am unsure if a deal with the EU has yet been completed, the company were a little worried by the commissions actions and attitude towards Astra zenica. I feel sorry for Astra zenica, there name has been dragged through the mud and yet they were the only ones doing it on a non profit basis.

near ipswich

"There is also novovax but I am unsure if a deal with the EU has yet been completed, the company were a little worried by the commissions actions and attitude towards Astra zenica. I feel sorry for Astra zenica, there name has been dragged through the mud and yet they were the only ones doing it on a non profit basis."
I see the German government are now in talks to buy the sputnik v vaccine today.

By *ichaelangelaCouple  over a year ago

notts

apparently, 300 - 400 women die every year in the UK alone from blood clots caused by taking the contraceptive pill.

So who do we blame for that ??

It's been suggested that it is a greater number by volume than will die from blood clots in the AZ vaccine

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"apparently, 300 - 400 women die every year in the UK alone from blood clots caused by taking the contraceptive pill.

It's been suggested that it is a greater number by volume than will die from blood clots in the AZ vaccine"

I am guessing that the pill will have a note saying blood clots are rare as a side effect.... which is basically exactly what the EMA and Uk regulators have decided to do with the AZ vaccine

By *kstallionMan  over a year ago

milton keynes

"apparently, 300 - 400 women die every year in the UK alone from blood clots caused by taking the contraceptive pill.

It's been suggested that it is a greater number by volume than will die from blood clots in the AZ vaccine

I am guessing that the pill will have a note saying blood clots are rare as a side effect.... which is basically exactly what the EMA and Uk regulators have decided to do with the AZ vaccine "

So how does that equate to Boris playing politics. As the advice and evidence changes so do the positions

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

Two interesting observations:

1) American commentators now seem to think that Astra Zeneca vaccination is unlikely to be used in the United States.

2) Since the talk of blood clots has finally also been accepted here in the U.K., who made the decision to drop the “Oxford” part of the name of the vaccination?

"Two interesting observations:

1) American commentators now seem to think that Astra Zeneca vaccination is unlikely to be used in the United States.

2) Since the talk of blood clots has finally also been accepted here in the U.K., who made the decision to drop the “Oxford” part of the name of the vaccination?"

Sounds very much like somebiday played Politics with the brandnaming in this country .

The UK is doing well though as the UK variant of Covid

is rife in Europe . Thats not political , just where the variant came from . A bit like Tramps china virus i guess .

near ipswich

"Two interesting observations:

2) Since the talk of blood clots has finally also been accepted here in the U.K., who made the decision to drop the “Oxford” part of the name of the vaccination?"

Who has dropped the oxford ?

» Add a new message to this topic