FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Pound to euro

Pound to euro

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Down to 1.15, doesn’t look good,

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

To be fair, this is probably more to do with a strengthening Euro than any obvious remarkable recent changes here in the U.K.

That said, there is nothing on the horizon here that would likely counter the fall- other than the expected bounce back to some kind of normality as Brexit restrictions ease.

"To be fair, this is probably more to do with a strengthening Euro than any obvious remarkable recent changes here in the U.K.

That said, there is nothing on the horizon here that would likely counter the fall- other than the expected bounce back to some kind of normality as Brexit restrictions ease."

True, the EU seems to be improving it’s vaccine rollout programme . I am disappointed because I was promised by a currency expert on here that it would be at 1.40 by May

By *loughing the landMan  over a year ago

Cambridge

"Down to 1.15, doesn’t look good, "
However it is simply a question of swings and roundabouts. If it strengthens our exports will become more expensive and consequentially more difficult to sell. A strong pound is also bad news for anyone bringing money into the country . The current level does not appear to have done the economy any harm and the FTSE is at an all time high.

"Down to 1.15, doesn’t look good, However it is simply a question of swings and roundabouts. If it strengthens our exports will become more expensive and consequentially more difficult to sell. A strong pound is also bad news for anyone bringing money into the country . The current level does not appear to have done the economy any harm and the FTSE is at an all time high. "

I don’t care about the FTSE,

North West

"Down to 1.15, doesn’t look good, However it is simply a question of swings and roundabouts. If it strengthens our exports will become more expensive and consequentially more difficult to sell. A strong pound is also bad news for anyone bringing money into the country . The current level does not appear to have done the economy any harm and the FTSE is at an all time high. "

You realise of course (or maybe you don’t) that for the vast majority of ordinary people in the U.K. the Stock market could go stratospheric and their lives would not improve one iota.

In fact, if the direction of travel is Singapore en Europa, ordinary people’s livelihoods are likely to decrease in a conversely opposition direction to the rise in the stock market.

You would have to have a myopically one-dimensional thought process to believe that the health of a nation and the well being of all its citizens is solely connected to the stock market.

It just isn’t.

Cambridge

"Down to 1.15, doesn’t look good, However it is simply a question of swings and roundabouts. If it strengthens our exports will become more expensive and consequentially more difficult to sell. A strong pound is also bad news for anyone bringing money into the country . The current level does not appear to have done the economy any harm and the FTSE is at an all time high.

You realise of course (or maybe you don’t) that for the vast majority of ordinary people in the U.K. the Stock market could go stratospheric and their lives would not improve one iota.

In fact, if the direction of travel is Singapore en Europa, ordinary people’s livelihoods are likely to decrease in a conversely opposition direction to the rise in the stock market.

You would have to have a myopically one-dimensional thought process to believe that the health of a nation and the well being of all its citizens is solely connected to the stock market.

It just isn’t."

I would have thought that all other factors being equal most people would prefer the FTSE movement to be upwards ( as opposed to downwards ) . It impacts a wide cross section of society including charities receiving investment income , churches with legacies, pensioners and those investing in pension funds.

Most people would regard a rising stock market as being a good sign. It indicates confidence in British business and in turn successfull businesses create jobs and HMRC benefit from Corporation tax receipts .

If the performance was not important to people , it seems odd that most national newspapers publish the relevant indices and dedicated a few pages to appropriate commentary .

Maybe it is not important to you . However I think a lot of employees will have an interest in their companies performance and prospects , particularly if they are a member of the companies share option scheme. Tesco alone have hundreds of thousands of employees. Any Tesco employee who has subscribed to the scheme will definitely have an interest in the companies performance.

Is there anything wrong with hoping that employees of these companies can better themselves and make themselves financially secure. ? Is there anything wrong with charities receiving investment income which in turn is used to help the less well off .

By *tockport 69Couple  over a year ago

Stockport

well best not go this year to Europe.we love tenerife and have a apartment there just come back its dead bars & restaurants shut never to open again.so holidays this year in uk

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

The FTSE isn't the economy, the Sterling exchange rate isn't the economy.

The economy is a combination of many things. If the direction of travel is upwards, then all well and good.

I stated in a much earlier thread, that I don't expect Sterling is rise to more than 1.18 euro this year.

The FTSE will recover upwards as things start to get back to normal.

"well best not go this year to Europe.we love tenerife and have a apartment there just come back its dead bars & restaurants shut never to open again.so holidays this year in uk"

It will be different in the summer,

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"To be fair, this is probably more to do with a strengthening Euro than any obvious remarkable recent changes here in the U.K.

That said, there is nothing on the horizon here that would likely counter the fall- other than the expected bounce back to some kind of normality as Brexit restrictions ease.

True, the EU seems to be improving it’s vaccine rollout programme . I am disappointed because I was promised by a currency expert on here that it would be at 1.40 by May "

Hold off on the Homarus gammarus feasting for now then.

"Down to 1.15, doesn’t look good,

Hold off on the Homarus gammarus feasting for now then."

I am beginning to think I was lied to, if you can’t trust a currency expert on a swinging site who can you trust

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

has lobster been affected by the drop?

"has lobster been affected by the drop?"

British lobster businesses have already closed due to Brexit. So I don't think this will impact them directly.

However less will be consumed by people who celebrate micro currency fluctuations by feasting on them. At least for today.

I am beginning to think I was lied to, if you can’t trust a currency expert on a swinging site who can you trust "

No one. Don't even trust yourself!

"has lobster been affected by the drop?

British lobster businesses have already closed due to Brexit. So I don't think this will impact them directly.

However less will be consumed by people who celebrate micro currency fluctuations by feasting on them. At least for today."

if it drops further the gammons may get restless

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

However less will be consumed by people who celebrate micro currency fluctuations by feasting on them. At least for today.

if it drops further the gammons may get restless "

Why it makes exports cheaper?

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

Stop pissing about looking at euro gbp

Buy cheap XRP now, while you can.

I am beginning to think I was lied to, if you can’t trust a currency expert on a swinging site who can you trust

No one. Don't even trust yourself!"

Is the pound being strong against the euro a good or a bad thing? It is hard to say with such conflicting options

near ipswich

Is the pound being strong against the euro a good or a bad thing? It is hard to say with such conflicting options "

That as always depends on your personal circumstances.

if it drops further the gammons may get restless Why it makes exports cheaper?"

Ah, so the pounds value dropping against the euro is a benefit and if it increases again it is a negative ?

Is the pound being strong against the euro a good or a bad thing? It is hard to say with such conflicting options That as always depends on your personal circumstances."

My personal circumstances vary day to day.

near ipswich

Is the pound being strong against the euro a good or a bad thing? It is hard to say with such conflicting options That as always depends on your personal circumstances.

My personal circumstances vary day to day. "

Its a good job the pound does too then.

isn't that in direct opposition to the brexonomic theory discussed on previous €/£ exchange rate threads. perhaps one brexonomic theory is used on mondays wednesdays and fridays, while the opposing brexonomic theory is used on the remaining days.

Is the pound being strong against the euro a good or a bad thing? It is hard to say with such conflicting options That as always depends on your personal circumstances.

My personal circumstances vary day to day. Its a good job the pound does too then. "

Not really, atm I want a strong pound to the Euro, so it’s steep decline is a worry

near ipswich

My personal circumstances vary day to day. Its a good job the pound does too then.

Not really, atm I want a strong pound to the Euro, so it’s steep decline is a worry "

Why you importing a lot from Europe? I want a weak pound .

My personal circumstances vary day to day. Its a good job the pound does too then.

Not really, atm I want a strong pound to the Euro, so it’s steep decline is a worry Why you importing a lot from Europe? I want a weak pound ."

No, I want to get a good exchange rate for my holidays. It must be good for you that the pound is weak and you got the Brexit you wanted , you must have been delighted when the pound tanked the day after the referendum

near ipswich

Not really, atm I want a strong pound to the Euro, so it’s steep decline is a worry Why you importing a lot from Europe? I want a weak pound .

No, I want to get a good exchange rate for my holidays. It must be good for you that the pound is weak and you got the Brexit you wanted , you must have been delighted when the pound tanked the day after the referendum "

I wont lie yeah it was great for me when i sold my house out there i ended up with much more in gbp than i thought.

Not really, atm I want a strong pound to the Euro, so it’s steep decline is a worry Why you importing a lot from Europe? I want a weak pound .

No, I want to get a good exchange rate for my holidays. It must be good for you that the pound is weak and you got the Brexit you wanted , you must have been delighted when the pound tanked the day after the referendum I wont lie yeah it was great for me when i sold my house out there i ended up with much more in gbp than i thought. "

Happy days, Brexit winner, I wish I had the foresight to do the same

near ipswich

No, I want to get a good exchange rate for my holidays. It must be good for you that the pound is weak and you got the Brexit you wanted , you must have been delighted when the pound tanked the day after the referendum I wont lie yeah it was great for me when i sold my house out there i ended up with much more in gbp than i thought.

Happy days, Brexit winner, I wish I had the foresight to do the same "

You need to plan ahead mate, i knew if i didnt sell before we actually left i would be liable for a shit load more tax as an owner from a 3rd country. As i have said before none of it was a surprise but some just buried their heads in the sand and didn't plan ahead just like all those with no residency now.

No, I want to get a good exchange rate for my holidays. It must be good for you that the pound is weak and you got the Brexit you wanted , you must have been delighted when the pound tanked the day after the referendum I wont lie yeah it was great for me when i sold my house out there i ended up with much more in gbp than i thought.

Happy days, Brexit winner, I wish I had the foresight to do the same You need to plan ahead mate, i knew if i didnt sell before we actually left i would be liable for a shit load more tax as an owner from a 3rd country. As i have said before none of it was a surprise but some just buried their heads in the sand and didn't plan ahead just like all those with no residency now. "

Only a very small percentage of the UK population can afford a home in the EU though? I feel for the less well off who will now have to pay extra to go on holiday in the EU

near ipswich

Happy days, Brexit winner, I wish I had the foresight to do the same You need to plan ahead mate, i knew if i didnt sell before we actually left i would be liable for a shit load more tax as an owner from a 3rd country. As i have said before none of it was a surprise but some just buried their heads in the sand and didn't plan ahead just like all those with no residency now.

Only a very small percentage of the UK population can afford a home in the EU though? I feel for the less well off who will now have to pay extra to go on holiday in the EU "

I doubt they will have to worry about it this year with the 3rd wave in Europe as only the well off will be able to afford the holiday and cost of testing this year.

Happy days, Brexit winner, I wish I had the foresight to do the same You need to plan ahead mate, i knew if i didnt sell before we actually left i would be liable for a shit load more tax as an owner from a 3rd country. As i have said before none of it was a surprise but some just buried their heads in the sand and didn't plan ahead just like all those with no residency now.

Only a very small percentage of the UK population can afford a home in the EU though? I feel for the less well off who will now have to pay extra to go on holiday in the EU I doubt they will have to worry about it this year with the 3rd wave in Europe as only the well off will be able to afford the holiday and cost of testing this year. "

I will definitely be going on holiday to the EU this year, Portugal & Spain are doing well

Yes, it a far more complex picture than just exchange rates

By *isandhers691127Couple  over a year ago

Bournemouth

This is a catastrophe! Captain lobster your country, nay your empire needs you. Where are you in this desperate hour?

near ipswich

Only a very small percentage of the UK population can afford a home in the EU though? I feel for the less well off who will now have to pay extra to go on holiday in the EU I doubt they will have to worry about it this year with the 3rd wave in Europe as only the well off will be able to afford the holiday and cost of testing this year.

I will definitely be going on holiday to the EU this year, Portugal & Spain are doing well "

Dont know about portugal but talking to people in spain the rates are rising daily again there.

"This is a catastrophe! Captain lobster your country, nay your empire needs you. Where are you in this desperate hour? "

probably reduced to eating languistines that have spent 5 days on a lorry that failed to be delivered to europe because britain is unable to control it's borders in any meaningful way

Only a very small percentage of the UK population can afford a home in the EU though? I feel for the less well off who will now have to pay extra to go on holiday in the EU I doubt they will have to worry about it this year with the 3rd wave in Europe as only the well off will be able to afford the holiday and cost of testing this year.

I will definitely be going on holiday to the EU this year, Portugal & Spain are doing well Dont know about portugal but talking to people in spain the rates are rising daily again there. "

Hopefully it will be fine, Spain’s figures seem to wildly fluctuate

Bournemouth

[Removed by poster at 10/04/21 11:42:19]

Bournemouth

"This is a catastrophe! Captain lobster your country, nay your empire needs you. Where are you in this desperate hour?

probably reduced to eating languistines that have spent 5 days on a lorry that failed to be delivered to europe because britain is unable to control it's borders in any meaningful way"

This is classed as a brexit win, less traffic on the empires roads.

near ipswich

I will definitely be going on holiday to the EU this year, Portugal & Spain are doing well Dont know about portugal but talking to people in spain the rates are rising daily again there.

Hopefully it will be fine, Spain’s figures seem to wildly fluctuate "

Depends if you are going to mainland or the islands there is growing unrest in spain that tourists are allowed from france and germany yet Spaniards cant even travel between different autonomies under current rules.

I will definitely be going on holiday to the EU this year, Portugal & Spain are doing well Dont know about portugal but talking to people in spain the rates are rising daily again there.

Hopefully it will be fine, Spain’s figures seem to wildly fluctuate Depends if you are going to mainland or the islands there is growing unrest in spain that tourists are allowed from france and germany yet Spaniards cant even travel between different autonomies under current rules. "

It is early days, they will have to find a solution ., I personally wouldn’t be looking at foreign holiday until late July early August

Well there goes the lobster. Back to ramen noodles.

By *uliaChrisCouple  over a year ago

westerham

As Keynes said, markets are irrational, but norms will return. The tail end screeching of myopic whinging remainers is still a faint echo in the corridors of Gloriana.

My lobster overlooking the Aegean is ready for September.

"As Keynes said, markets are irrational, but norms will return. The tail end screeching of myopic whinging remainers is still a faint echo in the corridors of Gloriana.

My lobster overlooking the Aegean is ready for September."

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

"Down to 1.15, doesn’t look good, However it is simply a question of swings and roundabouts. If it strengthens our exports will become more expensive and consequentially more difficult to sell. A strong pound is also bad news for anyone bringing money into the country . The current level does not appear to have done the economy any harm and the FTSE is at an all time high.

I don’t care about the FTSE, "

Well if you have a pension you should.

North West

Well if you have a pension you should."

The overwhelming majority of ordinary people do not care about the FTSE because it’s performance has no bearing on their day to day lives. They rely on others (rightly or wrongly) to manage their pension.

Further, the stock market can be performing fantastically and the traders making millions whilst companies improve profitability by, amongst other things, cutting costs and increasing automation. A high flying stock market and a healthy job market are not one snd the same thing.

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

The overwhelming majority of ordinary people do not care about the FTSE because it’s performance has no bearing on their day to day lives. They rely on others (rightly or wrongly) to manage their pension.

Further, the stock market can be performing fantastically and the traders making millions whilst companies improve profitability by, amongst other things, cutting costs and increasing automation. A high flying stock market and a healthy job market are not one snd the same thing."

If their pension is invested in it their day to day existence in retirement is very much affected by it, many will also have a stocks and shares isa.

Not really sure why you think I thought the stock market and jobs market are linked, I didnt mention jobs.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Our friend the “lobster guzzler” is going to be gutted............

By *ebbie69Couple  over a year ago

milton keynes

Further, the stock market can be performing fantastically and the traders making millions whilst companies improve profitability by, amongst other things, cutting costs and increasing automation. A high flying stock market and a healthy job market are not one snd the same thing.

If their pension is invested in it their day to day existence in retirement is very much affected by it, many will also have a stocks and shares isa.

Not really sure why you think I thought the stock market and jobs market are linked, I didnt mention jobs."

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Further, the stock market can be performing fantastically and the traders making millions whilst companies improve profitability by, amongst other things, cutting costs and increasing automation. A high flying stock market and a healthy job market are not one snd the same thing."

Not allways connected but a large stock market drop means loss of jobs and a big rise means more jobs.

Companies gain value through the stock market helps them expand and visa versa

North West

Further, the stock market can be performing fantastically and the traders making millions whilst companies improve profitability by, amongst other things, cutting costs and increasing automation. A high flying stock market and a healthy job market are not one snd the same thing.Not allways connected but a large stock market drop means loss of jobs and a big rise means more jobs.

Companies gain value through the stock market helps them expand and visa versa"

Companies gain value by being more profitable and thereby paying dividends to shareholders.

Employee numbers, conditions of work and terms of employment are generally not high on the priorities of profitability.

Cambridge

I don’t care about the FTSE, "

Hello. Whilst that is useful to know, I would think that the 11 million people in the UK who are members of private pension schemes would care . Depending on the assets in which the fund is invested, the FTSE 250 will have a significant impact on their fund . I would think that it has a knock on effect on public sector funds as well. In any event the FTSE being at an all time high indicates significant confidence in the UK and its future financial performance. Also great news for lower paid workers who are members of their companies share save scheme.

Bournemouth

I'll get the bunting ready for when it goes up another 0.03% and claim it as a brexit victory

Bournemouth

[Removed by poster at 11/04/21 14:43:51]

By *rench letterCouple  over a year ago

Chorley,

"I'll get the bunting ready for when it goes up another 0.03% and claim it as a brexit victory "

Think you are kidding your self was a lot better before the vote in 2016.

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

I don’t care about the FTSE, Hello. Whilst that is useful to know, I would think that the 11 million people in the UK who are members of private pension schemes would care . Depending on the assets in which the fund is invested, the FTSE 250 will have a significant impact on their fund . I would think that it has a knock on effect on public sector funds as well. In any event the FTSE being at an all time high indicates significant confidence in the UK and its future financial performance. Also great news for lower paid workers who are members of their companies share save scheme.

"

Interestingly of the FTSE 100 around 25% of those companies apparently have a pension deficit and yet still paid out a substantial dividend. The pensions of their own workers don’t seem to be a priority. The present total deficit is £21B ( it has reduced from last year)

After the maxwell debacle this sort of behaviour should be made illegal. Directors signing of a dividend which in many cases benefits them whilst risking the pensions of their lowest paid. The gap is 3% which isn’t devastating but it never seems to go away but dividends are still paid.

Cambridge

I don’t care about the FTSE, Hello. Whilst that is useful to know, I would think that the 11 million people in the UK who are members of private pension schemes would care . Depending on the assets in which the fund is invested, the FTSE 250 will have a significant impact on their fund . I would think that it has a knock on effect on public sector funds as well. In any event the FTSE being at an all time high indicates significant confidence in the UK and its future financial performance. Also great news for lower paid workers who are members of their companies share save scheme.

Interestingly of the FTSE 100 around 25% of those companies apparently have a pension deficit and yet still paid out a substantial dividend. The pensions of their own workers don’t seem to be a priority. The present total deficit is £21B ( it has reduced from last year)

After the maxwell debacle this sort of behaviour should be made illegal. Directors signing of a dividend which in many cases benefits them whilst risking the pensions of their lowest paid. The gap is 3% which isn’t devastating but it never seems to go away but dividends are still paid.

"

However the pension deficit would only be of any relevance were the fund to be wound up. How many pension funds have been wound up in recent years? The reality of some final salary pension funds is that what was offered was simply unsustainable and the current beneficiaries are very lucky to be in the position the they are in. The move to defined contribution schemes creates a level playing field.

As most directors are also members of their companies pension fund , they are unlikely to take any action that would damage its long time prospects.

In any event all pension funds have trustees who should be looking after the interests of the contributors.

"

I shall just repeat what I said, I don’t care about the FTSE

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

However the pension deficit would only be of any relevance were the fund to be wound up. How many pension funds have been wound up in recent years? The reality of some final salary pension funds is that what was offered was simply unsustainable and the current beneficiaries are very lucky to be in the position the they are in. The move to defined contribution schemes creates a level playing field.

As most directors are also members of their companies pension fund , they are unlikely to take any action that would damage its long time prospects.

In any event all pension funds have trustees who should be looking after the interests of the contributors. "

Are you saying dividends should be paid over pension deficit ? It not affordability as that can change yearly . It the principal .

Cambridge

In any event all pension funds have trustees who should be looking after the interests of the contributors.

Are you saying dividends should be paid over pension deficit ? It not affordability as that can change yearly . It the principal . "

. If there is a deficit I can see no cause for concern providing there is a long term plan in place to address the issue .

I would be a lot more concerned if a company did not pay a dividend as it would potentially indicate lower than expected profitability or cash flow problems . In addition failure to pay a dividend could lead to a loss in investor confidence

North West

Are you saying dividends should be paid over pension deficit ? It not affordability as that can change yearly . It the principal . . If there is a deficit I can see no cause for concern providing there is a long term plan in place to address the issue .

I would be a lot more concerned if a company did not pay a dividend as it would potentially indicate lower than expected profitability or cash flow problems . In addition failure to pay a dividend could lead to a loss in investor confidence "

The stuff you come out with!!!....

You think that “investor confidence” is more important than integrity??

That is a one way street to Corporate Fraud.

» Add a new message to this topic