FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Fact vs Opinion

Fact vs Opinion

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *L Rogue OP   Man  over a year ago

London

I was reading a thread the other day and someone had mentioned something in response to the post. They were accused of making it up so I looked it up myself.

I found the source of the reference they made but decided it was more opinion than fact. Having said that, I think it depends on the source, whether you believe it or not and whether you can separate fact from opinion.

So it got me thinking. When you're writing your 2p's worth here, which is more important to you, your politics and world views: Fact or Opinion?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ammskiMan  over a year ago

lytham st.annes

Fact would be better,Ian

By *isandhers691127Couple  over a year ago

Bournemouth

Thats just your opinion

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

As some bloke called biden once said...

'we (democrats) choose truth over facts every time' ...I wonder which version of the truth he meant

There is nothing wrong with opinion but when you push your opinion as fact then the lines get massively blurred.

I'll take facts though, any day of the week

By *renzMan  over a year ago

Between Chichester and Havant

Unfortunately for many, opinions become facts and vice versa.

Facts can depend on bias. Everyone has some sort of bias one way or another even if they say that don't.

So even a fact may only be factual to those it suits.

By *uliaChrisCouple  over a year ago

westerham

I consider myself one of the last bastions of neutrality and reason on this forum.

If you are ever in doubt, ask me for my facts.

By *ammskiMan  over a year ago

lytham st.annes

"I consider myself one of the last bastions of neutrality and reason on this forum.

If you are ever in doubt, ask me for my facts. "

You do make everyone laugh

London

"There is nothing wrong with opinion but when you push your opinion as fact then the lines get massively blurred.

I'll take facts though, any day of the week "

I agree. There's nothing wrong with opinion but I don't think the lines get blurred, I think they get ignored. My opinion, of course.

So what happens when fact goes against your opinion?

"There is nothing wrong with opinion but when you push your opinion as fact then the lines get massively blurred.

I agree. There's nothing wrong with opinion but I don't think the lines get blurred, I think they get ignored. My opinion, of course.

"

It's a good question. I personally try not to form opinion without facts. If fact goes against initial opinion then surely you can change your opinion.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Most remoaners use opinion for there arguments rarely facts.

"I was reading a thread the other day and someone had mentioned something in response to the post. They were accused of making it up so I looked it up myself.

I found the source of the reference they made but decided it was more opinion than fact. Having said that, I think it depends on the source, whether you believe it or not and whether you can separate fact from opinion.

So it got me thinking. When you're writing your 2p's worth here, which is more important to you, your politics and world views: Fact or Opinion?"

Facts are the only thing that matters. I find it difficult sometimes to engage with others when they bring their opinions into a discussion and present them as facts. Midwittery does my swede in too so I never ask someone ‘what’s your source for that’ when I know they’re sharing an opinion usually based on emotion over logic. I feel like I’ve been saying it a lot the last few days but cold, dispassionate, emotionally disconnected facts are all that matters.

"I was reading a thread the other day and someone had mentioned something in response to the post. They were accused of making it up so I looked it up myself.

So it got me thinking. When you're writing your 2p's worth here, which is more important to you, your politics and world views: Fact or Opinion?

Facts are the only thing that matters. I find it difficult sometimes to engage with others when they bring their opinions into a discussion and present them as facts. Midwittery does my swede in too so I never ask someone ‘what’s your source for that’ when I know they’re sharing an opinion usually based on emotion over logic. I feel like I’ve been saying it a lot the last few days but cold, dispassionate, emotionally disconnected facts are all that matters. "

Facts first. Opinions later.

Once the facts are known, you can have opinions.

An easy example is climate change. We know what's happening. Then we can go to opinions on if we should do something, and/or what we should do. Those who introduce doubt through misinformation are explicitly attempting to undermine the entire discussion.

Anyhow. Opinion is still important. In my opinion.

By *eparrain1Man  over a year ago

Stone

Facts first to form an opinion.

By *isandhers691127Couple  over a year ago

Bournemouth

"Most remoaners use opinion for there arguments rarely facts.

"

Is that a fact or an opinion?

Is that a fact or an opinion? "

It's an excellent example of opinion presented as fact, with cheap insult thrown in for good measure.

London

"

...and that's an opinion.

This discussion didn't call for any name calling and it's funny as it's your recent comments that lead me to start this thread and then you say something like that. Good thing we have the green arrow.

Anyway...back to the post.

By *ykmwyldTV/TS  over a year ago

Belpre

Admit your wrong, and go with the fact, that's the only wise thing to do. But, many won't accept facts.

"

London

In light of recent threads...

Bump!

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"In light of recent threads...

Bump!"

How do you know something is a fact, unless you were physically there?

Bump!

How do you know something is a fact, unless you were physically there?"

The usual test for a statement of fact is verifiability—that is whether it can be demonstrated to correspond to experience. Standard reference works are often used to check facts. Scientific facts are verified by repeatable careful observation or measurement by experiments or other means.

Bump!

We now have a new rule on the forum , unless it is 100% proven irrefutable fact then it can not be believed and it is just peoples opinions . To quote the Mandolorian ‘This is the way ‘

Bump!

We now have a new rule on the forum , unless it is 100% proven irrefutable fact then it can not be believed and it is just peoples opinions . To quote the Mandolorian ‘This is the way ‘ "

I think those party drugs are really messing with your memory.

No one said that

Bump!

We now have a new rule on the forum , unless it is 100% proven irrefutable fact then it can not be believed and it is just peoples opinions . To quote the Mandolorian ‘This is the way ‘

No one said that "

You basically did, for example, what ‘facts ‘ would we need to prove that Boris said what is claimed in the Daily Mail?

[Removed by poster at 26/04/21 18:28:48]

London

Bump!

This is an opinion...but something to think about...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKhUa9Nj5kw

We need to stop taking things at face value as there is a lot of information out there.

By *atEvolutionCouple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

From My High School Thesis:

If just 3 people told you something happened today, would you really just believe them?

Read widely.

Read wisely.

Read the Politics of the other guy.

And always read more than just the Headline.

But also understand that the final copy you read has been set by just two or three people.

1. The unnamed source. (whom they never name)

2. The Journalist. (who's motive is what?)

2. The Copy Editor. (the typo guy)

4. The Editor. (and by what politics do they run by?)

. . . and off to print press it goes.

Then the reader reads half a Headline and believes that just because 4 people passed it through the system it just has to be fact.

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

Bump!

We now have a new rule on the forum , unless it is 100% proven irrefutable fact then it can not be believed and it is just peoples opinions . To quote the Mandolorian ‘This is the way ‘ "

Unless it's a story about the eu or jeremy Corbyn.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

Here's a fact for you corbyn has lost an appeal against a high court judges findings in a libel claim.

London

"From My High School Thesis:

If just 3 people told you something happened today, would you really just believe them?

Read widely.

Read wisely.

But also understand that the final copy you read has been set by just two or three people.

Then the reader reads half a Headline and believes that just because 4 people passed it through the system it just has to be fact.

"

I like this. It’s a process I try and follow because everyone has an agenda.

By *renzMan  over a year ago

Between Chichester and Havant

"From My High School Thesis:

Read widely.

Read wisely.

"

Something I've said before. Everyone has an agenda. Two newspapers with different agendas will report the same story skewed to the agenda that suits them and their readership.

By *atEvolutionCouple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

"Here's a fact for you corbyn has lost an appeal against a high court judges findings in a libel claim. "

Oh Dear was he accused of a fact? lol

Bump!

No one said that

You basically did, for example, what ‘facts ‘ would we need to prove that Boris said what is claimed in the Daily Mail? "

I've already posted above about facts.

I also said further up again that opinions are fine and actually wanted in debate but fact trumps opinion everytime

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

"Here's a fact for you corbyn has lost an appeal against a high court judges findings in a libel claim.

Oh Dear was he accused of a fact? lol "

Poor old Jeremy but he’s quite used to being on a losing side so he will be ok. (Another fact)

By *ockdownerMan  over a year ago

Preston

So it got me thinking. When you're writing your 2p's worth here, which is more important to you, your politics and world views: Fact or Opinion?"

It totally depends on if the topic is about opinions or if it's evidence based facts.

To many on here though do mix up the 2

London

It totally depends on if the topic is about opinions or if it's evidence based facts.

To many on here though do mix up the 2 "

We just have access to more information than ever before. It's a line that many don't see or don't care about. One forum member has quoted that no one cares about facts, only spin. This is the "opin-news" that we have today.

» Add a new message to this topic