eurotunnel

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ostafun OP   Man  over a year ago

near ipswich

Should the uk government help bail out euro tunnel to keep it going? Thoughts

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ichiebigMan  over a year ago

nenagh

No,the eurotunnel should be closed and flooded, Britain see's its future prosperity elsewhere, so scrap the channel tunnel and immediately begin construction on a new tunnel to the Pacific Ocean

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"No,the eurotunnel should be closed and flooded, Britain see's its future prosperity elsewhere, so scrap the channel tunnel and immediately begin construction on a new tunnel to the Pacific Ocean "

A tunnel would be too expensive, we need a bridge instead

By *eanoCoolMan  over a year ago

wisbech

In my opinion no, its majority french state owned i believe, the UK government sold its stake to them so why bail them out?, and if we are going to spend that sort of money there are many other things in the country that are far more in need.

"In my opinion no, its majority french state owned i believe, the UK government sold its stake to them so why bail them out?, and if we are going to spend that sort of money there are many other things in the country that are far more in need."

Yeah, what we need is a tunnel to NI

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Do you mean euro tunnel or do you mean Eurostar?

wisbech

"In my opinion no, its majority french state owned i believe, the UK government sold its stake to them so why bail them out?, and if we are going to spend that sort of money there are many other things in the country that are far more in need.

Yeah, what we need is a tunnel to NI "

Interesting, what makes you say that? I did read on here before someone banging on about a boris bridge, is that what you are referring too? Personally I think that's a daft idea too, like I said so many other things nationally and in local areas that need doing first in my opinion.

Newcastle and Gateshead

"In my opinion no, its majority french state owned i believe, the UK government sold its stake to them so why bail them out?, and if we are going to spend that sort of money there are many other things in the country that are far more in need.

Yeah, what we need is a tunnel to NI "

Too deep and too many ww2 bombs in the way for it to ever happen..... you would almost have to do what the Danes and swedes did.... two bridges/tunnels with a man made island in the middle

Interesting, what makes you say that? I did read on here before someone banging on about a boris bridge, is that what you are referring too? Personally I think that's a daft idea too, like I said so many other things nationally and in local areas that need doing first in my opinion."

Tbh I was being sarcastic, the tunnel to NI is a ridiculous idea that will never happen

wisbech

Interesting, what makes you say that? I did read on here before someone banging on about a boris bridge, is that what you are referring too? Personally I think that's a daft idea too, like I said so many other things nationally and in local areas that need doing first in my opinion.

Tbh I was being sarcastic, the tunnel to NI is a ridiculous idea that will never happen "

Agree with you there.

By *uliaChrisCouple  over a year ago

westerham

Tbh I was being sarcastic, the tunnel to NI is a ridiculous idea that will never happen "

Just leave the real engineers and thinkers like me to assess it first eh

Tbh I was being sarcastic, the tunnel to NI is a ridiculous idea that will never happen

Just leave the real engineers and thinkers like me to assess it first eh "

No, it will never happen , sorry about that Chris

near ipswich

"Do you mean euro tunnel or do you mean Eurostar?"
sorry wasn't clear enough euro tunnel own the freight which is doing ok i actually meant eurostar the passenger side which has been hit by the covid restrictions.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Going against the grain here and actually sticking to the OP.

No they shouldn’t.

"Do you mean euro tunnel or do you mean Eurostar? sorry wasn't clear enough euro tunnel own the freight which is doing ok i actually meant eurostar the passenger side which has been hit by the covid restrictions. "

Tbh they won’t and probably shouldn’t pay towards it unless they get a share of the profits

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

We’ve subsidised privately owned train companies over Covid so maybe it’s in the same frame?

It’s a useful service. So maybe a claw back on some shares or profit.

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

Providing a loan to retain vital connectivity is no bad thing.

Unfortunately seeing past the “we don’t own it, so fuck it” attitude needs more than a one-dimensional thought process.

It’s really quite worrying how complexities that need an evaluative process are so easily dismissed in favour of a taking an overly simplistic view.

near ipswich

Personally i think no.

France own 55% of it and if the can bailout air france to the tune of e4 billion im sure they dont need uk help with their state railway.

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Do you mean euro tunnel or do you mean Eurostar? sorry wasn't clear enough euro tunnel own the freight which is doing ok i actually meant eurostar the passenger side which has been hit by the covid restrictions. "

Won’t make any difference.... either the uk government help for a share of the company.... or the uk don’t and it ends up being sncf that end up doing it and running all the international services in and out with no uk involvement ...

I don’t think having no say on what international routes run in out of your own country is the best option

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

The Eurostar stakeholders need to put their case on the table, as to what help the UK can legally and morally give.

There has to be something in it for the UK.

As an aside, the, French Goverment are proposing greater state aid to Air France, but with strings. Basically, any internal air journey that can be done by train in 4 hours must be scrapped. Think Paris to Lyon for example. This is to try and meet their future carbon obligations, meaning that high speed rail is still extremely important.

By *ebbie69Couple  over a year ago

milton keynes

"Do you mean euro tunnel or do you mean Eurostar? sorry wasn't clear enough euro tunnel own the freight which is doing ok i actually meant eurostar the passenger side which has been hit by the covid restrictions.

Won’t make any difference.... either the uk government help for a share of the company.... or the uk don’t and it ends up being sncf that end up doing it and running all the international services in and out with no uk involvement ...

I don’t think having no say on what international routes run in out of your own country is the best option "

does the UK have any say at present? What have france offered?

near ipswich

"The Eurostar stakeholders need to put their case on the table, as to what help the UK can legally and morally give.

As an aside, the, French Goverment are proposing greater state aid to Air France, but with strings. Basically, any internal air journey that can be done by train in 4 hours must be scrapped. Think Paris to Lyon for example. This is to try and meet their future carbon obligations, meaning that high speed rail is still extremely important. "

The internal air journeys that can be done by train are nothing to do with the state aid to air france, this is being proposed to off set carbon omissions and and will apply to all airlines if it gets approved which actually brings up another subject on whether the government is eroding peoples choice.

Newcastle and Gateshead

"The Eurostar stakeholders need to put their case on the table, as to what help the UK can legally and morally give.

As an aside, the, French Goverment are proposing greater state aid to Air France, but with strings. Basically, any internal air journey that can be done by train in 4 hours must be scrapped. Think Paris to Lyon for example. This is to try and meet their future carbon obligations, meaning that high speed rail is still extremely important. The internal air journeys that can be done by train are nothing to do with the state aid to air france, this is being proposed to off set carbon omissions and and will apply to all airlines if it gets approved which actually brings up another subject on whether the government is eroding peoples choice. "

The answer to that is yes and no.... the famous answer to this question is try and find a flight between Paris and Brussels.... you won’t find any

Why.... because it’s quicker for most people to go city centre to city centre by train, and because even the airlines recognise this, they actually book airline passengers on trains for onward connections between the two

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

As an aside, the, French Goverment are proposing greater state aid to Air France, but with strings. Basically, any internal air journey that can be done by train in 4 hours must be scrapped. Think Paris to Lyon for example. This is to try and meet their future carbon obligations, meaning that high speed rail is still extremely important. The internal air journeys that can be done by train are nothing to do with the state aid to air france, this is being proposed to off set carbon omissions and and will apply to all airlines if it gets approved which actually brings up another subject on whether the government is eroding peoples choice. "

It was a condition of the €7 billion state aid given to Air France last year.

The proposals going through the French parliament at the moment, also ban low-cost operators taking over the routes.

Whilst France is way ahead of the UK on high speed rail, the direction of travel (no pun intended) on Govermental transport thinking and climate change is becoming apparent.

Green high speed rail is the future. Eurostar should form part of that thinking.

By *uliaChrisCouple  over a year ago

westerham

"Providing a loan to retain vital connectivity is no bad thing.

Unfortunately seeing past the “we don’t own it, so fuck it” attitude needs more than a one-dimensional thought process.

It’s really quite worrying how complexities that need an evaluative process are so easily dismissed in favour of a taking an overly simplistic view."

You misunderstand that as with the airlines, if the operating company goes bust, the infrastructure remains in place ready for another operator to take over. The track and trains don't just cease to exist.

near ipswich

"Providing a loan to retain vital connectivity is no bad thing.

It’s really quite worrying how complexities that need an evaluative process are so easily dismissed in favour of a taking an overly simplistic view.

You misunderstand that as with the airlines, if the operating company goes bust, the infrastructure remains in place ready for another operator to take over. The track and trains don't just cease to exist. "

Exactly this, someone will buy it if they think it will make them a profit.

» Add a new message to this topic