FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Reasons to Leave European Union

Reasons to Leave European Union

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ssex_tom OP   Man  over a year ago

Chelmsford

A new study has been published that seems to contradict the stereotypical Brexiteer.

Apparently the leavers in the main did not resent hard working Europeans. They tended to resent the lazy able Brits who refuse to work.

And they did not come from poor seaside towns or 'red wall' constituents. They were often well off liberals.

Who would have thought it?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

thisprobably belongs in the politics sections but it also doesn’t make much sense

if you resent lazy brits, why would you vote against the rights of hard working europeans that fill the gaps in the workforce left by those you resent?

you can make statistics say anything if you poll the right selection of people - doesn’t make it true

"thisprobably belongs in the politics sections but it also doesn’t make much sense

if you resent lazy brits, why would you vote against the rights of hard working europeans that fill the gaps in the workforce left by those you resent?

you can make statistics say anything if you poll the right selection of people - doesn’t make it true "

.....because it really isn’t about immigration and ‘immigrants.’ There are issues beyond. I think immigration is absolutely necessary for any thriving society. However, it doesn’t mean I want to belong to a pact that is rather insular in world view. There’s a big World out there for Britain to trade and form alliances with now, free from the shackles of the EU.

Not necessarily my personal views but some of the issues I have heard from the group in question mentioned by the OP.

This makes no sense whatsoever, there is no logical follow on from one to the other. I think people voted to leave for lots of reasons, none of which hold up to the barest scrutiny but that’s by the by.

I think basically people were asked to vote for something they didn’t really understand (both sides) by people with ulterior motives

By * AND R 777Couple  over a year ago

Teesside

I cannot understand why 100,000s of people voted to give he UK government more powers(by voting out of the EU) when if you ask these people, do they trust the uk government they always say no.

By *ob Carpe DiemMan  over a year ago

Torquay

50/50 here, too much regulations from the EU e.g. the vaccine, but there are obvious advantages l, not helpful I know but hey

Chelmsford

Well I can't understand why pro Europeans would be against the new European football superleague...

"A new study has been published that seems to contradict the stereotypical Brexiteer.

Apparently the leavers in the main did not resent hard working Europeans. They tended to resent the lazy able Brits who refuse to work.

And they did not come from poor seaside towns or 'red wall' constituents. They were often well off liberals.

Who would have thought it?"

This is an inaccurate summary of the recent report on why people voted for brexit.

"Well I can't understand why pro Europeans would be against the new European football superleague..."

Why?

Chelmsford

"A new study has been published that seems to contradict the stereotypical Brexiteer.

This is an inaccurate summary of the recent report on why people voted for brexit."

Oh well please summarise it then

Chelmsford

"Well I can't understand why pro Europeans would be against the new European football superleague...

Why? "

Well it will unite European football.. it's the natural next step.. Football will move forward.. maybe not now but soon.. it's about money and control and nobody wants to give up their golden goose down

What is your source?

"Well I can't understand why pro Europeans would be against the new European football superleague...

Why?

Well it will unite European football.. it's the natural next step.. Football will move forward.. maybe not now but soon.. it's about money and control and nobody wants to give up their golden goose down"

It will do the opposite, it will divide an already united European football who already have the hugely popular champions league

Chelmsford

What is your source? "

My tipple is vodka and tomato juice with a splash of worcestershire

Chelmsford

Why?

Well it will unite European football.. it's the natural next step.. Football will move forward.. maybe not now but soon.. it's about money and control and nobody wants to give up their golden goose down

It will do the opposite, it will divide an already united European football who already have the hugely popular champions league "

Oh.. the one that is only on BT sport ?

This is an inaccurate summary of the recent report on why people voted for brexit.

Oh well please summarise it then"

The report is only 12 pages. I would suggest reading it would be the best solution.

Why?

It will do the opposite, it will divide an already united European football who already have the hugely popular champions league

Oh.. the one that is only on BT sport ?"

No it isn’t

What is your source?

My tipple is vodka and tomato juice with a splash of worcestershire "

Do you know the difference between source and sauce?

Chelmsford

What is your source?

Do you know the difference between source and sauce? "

No I was born on a council estate..

What is your source?

No I was born on a council estate.."

What has that got to do with anything?

Chelmsford

This is so simple..

UEFA want the power, the control and the cash...

The ESL want the cash.. free competition surely...

Shake it up and let fans vote with their feet and their pay per view.. those bleating the most about greed were just as greedy in their day..

Chelmsford

What is your source?

Yes.. I drink both with vodka

What is your source?

Yes.. I drink both with vodka"

You should lay off the vodka

"This is so simple..

Shake it up and let fans vote with their feet and their pay per view.. those bleating the most about greed were just as greedy in their day..

"

Calm down Tom, it isn’t happening

Chelmsford

What is your source?

You should lay off the vodka "

Well I will be sober in the morning as Winston once said...

Chelmsford

"This is so simple..

Calm down Tom, it isn’t happening "

It will .. at some point

What is your source?

You should lay off the vodka

Well I will be sober in the morning as Winston once said... "

Winston Bogarde? The ex Chelsea defender

"This is so simple..

Calm down Tom, it isn’t happening

It will .. at some point "

Not in its current format, stay calm,

What is your source?

They clearly do and like a bit of ironic word play

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

I have been saying this from day one but been called a liar on here still the nasty minded imbasilles are not likely to apologise

Chelmsford

Who would have thought it?I have been saying this from day one but been called a liar on here still the nasty minded imbasilles are not likely to apologise"

They won't... The rule of law prevailed and we left the EU and some poor souls seek only retribution in staining the character of those who wanted out..

Shane On Them..

upton wirral

"I cannot understand why 100,000s of people voted to give he UK government more powers(by voting out of the EU) when if you ask these people, do they trust the uk government they always say no. "
You and other do not get it no matter how often I tell you and others to no doubt.

Sadly no point explaining anymore as you do not want to understand that is very sad indeed.

upton wirral

"Well I can't understand why pro Europeans would be against the new European football superleague..."
There is no connection between the two can I ask which planet you come from?

Who would have thought it?I have been saying this from day one but been called a liar on here still the nasty minded imbasilles are not likely to apologise

They won't... The rule of law prevailed and we left the EU and some poor souls seek only retribution in staining the character of those who wanted out..

Shane On Them.."

Who the heck is Shane ?

By *atEvolutionCouple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

Who would have thought it?I have been saying this from day one but been called a liar on here still the nasty minded imbasilles are not likely to apologise

Shane On Them..

Who the heck is Shane ? "

He was a TV Cowboy. Don't think he knew what football or Brexit was however.

Chelmsford

Shane On Them..

Who the heck is Shane ?

He was a TV Cowboy. Don't think he knew what football or Brexit was however.

"

One of the best movies ever..

Chelmsford

Jack Palance was a great villain and was in Batman years later

"Jack Palance was a great villain and was in Batman years later "

Wasn’t called Shane though

Chelmsford

"Jack Palance was a great villain and was in Batman years later

Wasn’t called Shane though "

His adversary was though..

His adversary was though.. "

That’s true, I like Shane McGowan, great lyricist

That’s true, I like Shane McGowan, great lyricist "

MacGowan

Chelmsford

That’s true, I like Shane McGowan, great lyricist

MacGowan "

Surely not a schoolboy spelling error..

Who would of thought...

Chelmsford

Now toodle off my old chum with your tail between your legs as usual...

"Now toodle off my old chum with your tail between your legs as usual... "

Chill out Tom, your getting excited again

By *L RogueMan  over a year ago

London

"thisprobably belongs in the politics sections but it also doesn’t make much sense

you can make statistics say anything if you poll the right selection of people - doesn’t make it true "

This.

There can only be 1 reason .

To annoy the f*ck out of Leavers

By *ausageNmashCouple  over a year ago

Andover

What is your source?

No I was born on a council estate..

What has that got to do with anything? "

It is at least a little humourous

By *uliaChrisCouple  over a year ago

westerham

"This makes no sense whatsoever, there is no logical follow on from one to the other. I think people voted to leave for lots of reasons, none of which hold up to the barest scrutiny but that’s by the by.

I think basically people were asked to vote for something they didn’t really understand (both sides) by people with ulterior motives "

There was no conspiracy or ulterior motive.

Its perfectly straightforward and history will record that the Tories were hopelessly divided on Europe for decades, and Cameron decided to try to settle the issue.

Unfortunately for him, and fortunately for us, the vote didn't go as he expected.

"This makes no sense whatsoever, there is no logical follow on from one to the other. I think people voted to leave for lots of reasons, none of which hold up to the barest scrutiny but that’s by the by.

I think basically people were asked to vote for something they didn’t really understand (both sides) by people with ulterior motives

Its perfectly straightforward and history will record that the Tories were hopelessly divided on Europe for decades, and Cameron decided to try to settle the issue.

Unfortunately for him, and fortunately for us, the vote didn't go as he expected. "

A lot of money was made by conservative hedge fund backers, and the devaluation of Sterling. Russia gained by causing instability and eroding European cooperation. There’s a lot to be gained by some by eroding workers rights.

Yet to see any benefits for us.

westerham

Unfortunately for him, and fortunately for us, the vote didn't go as he expected.

A lot of money was made by conservative hedge fund backers, and the devaluation of Sterling. Russia gained by causing instability and eroding European cooperation. There’s a lot to be gained by some by eroding workers rights.

Yet to see any benefits for us. "

Some clever people read the mood and made money. Russia is indeed trampling over Brussels.

That doesn't mean it was a conspiracy.

Personally, business has never been better. And we are 9 billion a year better off. All good.

"

Personally, business has never been better. And we are 9 billion a year better off. All good. "

Well glad it worked it out for you personally, because red tape has increased exponentially. overall exports have collapsed, a trillion pounds of assets have left the country and UK businesses are investing heavily in moving parts of their business to Europe

westerham

"

Personally, business has never been better. And we are 9 billion a year better off. All good.

Well glad it worked it out for you personally, because red tape has increased exponentially. overall exports have collapsed, a trillion pounds of assets have left the country and UK businesses are investing heavily in moving parts of their business to Europe

"

I'm not gonna bother asking for a source for any of that, let me ask the easier question :

How has it affected you personally so far

"

I'm not gonna bother asking for a source for any of that, let me ask the easier question :

How has it affected you personally so far "

Sources can be provided.

How has it affected me personally? Well my pay is based on how the UK company performs. All our companies around the world are currently posting record figures across the world, except UK which is down.

I've had to deal with redundancies in the UK as we closed down a factory hear and reopened it in Poland. And I have to spend a ridiculous amount of time dealing with red tape, new forms to fill in, certificates of origin to put together etc instead of actually doing something productive.

westerham

"

How has it affected you personally so far

Sources can be provided.

How has it affected me personally? Well my pay is based on how the UK company performs. All our companies around the world are currently posting record figures across the world, except UK which is down.

I've had to deal with redundancies in the UK as we closed down a factory hear and reopened it in Poland. And I have to spend a ridiculous amount of time dealing with red tape, new forms to fill in, certificates of origin to put together etc instead of actually doing something productive. "

Right well consultations take at least 90 days so seems unlikely that the factory just shut, I'm gonna hazard a guess that was a while ago pre Brexit. Like many other UK factories that were destroyed by unfair competition when we were still in Europe. Allowed by Brussels.

Brexit gives UK manufacturers a much better shot.

Sorry I simply don't believe that your UK operations are doing worse than all the others worldwide. Not unless your company has structural problems.

The red tape is exactly the same as if you were exporting anywhere else in the world. The only reason you'd struggle with that is if you'd only ever dealt with the EU before and never exported anywhere else.

As a manufacturer, we have one commodity code to deal with. One. Its a piece of cake.

Yet to see any benefits for us.

Some clever people read the mood and made money. Russia is indeed trampling over Brussels.

That doesn't mean it was a conspiracy.

Personally, business has never been better. And we are 9 billion a year better off. All good. "

Where do you get the £9 billion figure from?

"

Right well consultations take at least 90 days so seems unlikely that the factory just shut, I'm gonna hazard a guess that was a while ago pre Brexit. Like many other UK factories that were destroyed by unfair competition when we were still in Europe. Allowed by Brussels.

Sorry I simply don't believe that your UK operations are doing worse than all the others worldwide. Not unless your company has structural problems.

The red tape is exactly the same as if you were exporting anywhere else in the world. The only reason you'd struggle with that is if you'd only ever dealt with the EU before and never exported anywhere else.

As a manufacturer, we have one commodity code to deal with. One. Its a piece of cake. "

The Brexit vote was nearly 5 years ago, to avoid being locked out of our just-in-time contracts in Europe we built a factory from scratch in Poland in that time.

Prior to that we manufactured everything for Europe in the UK. Unfair competition is a nonsense, we've put ourselves at a disadvantage now vs the rest of Europe now.

Yes there's red tape when we export to the Middle East or so on, but now it's red tape for everywhere.

I don't care if you don't the believe the UK is doing is worse than others, it's simply the truth.

The cost of freight to the EU has skyrocketed.

I'm a CTA so if all your products are under one Tariff code then you probably have a limited product range. Regardless of the tariff code you'll still need to ensure proof of origin. A bit of a hassle for manufacturers, and a major one for distributers.

And if you export food products to the EU then you've been truly stabbed in the back by Brexit.

westerham

"

As a manufacturer, we have one commodity code to deal with. One. Its a piece of cake.

The Brexit vote was nearly 5 years ago, to avoid being locked out of our just-in-time contracts in Europe we built a factory from scratch in Poland in that time.

Prior to that we manufactured everything for Europe in the UK. Unfair competition is a nonsense, we've put ourselves at a disadvantage now vs the rest of Europe now.

Yes there's red tape when we export to the Middle East or so on, but now it's red tape for everywhere.

I don't care if you don't the believe the UK is doing is worse than others, it's simply the truth.

I'm a CTA so if all your products are under one Tariff code then you probably have a limited product range. Regardless of the tariff code you'll still need to ensure proof of origin. A bit of a hassle for manufacturers, and a major one for distributers.

And if you export food products to the EU then you've been truly stabbed in the back by Brexit.

"

Then I think you got way ahead of yourselves preparing for tariffs that were never going to happen.

Freights costs blipped and have have now settled down.

Commodity codes, certificates of origin are electronic and a child of four could sort out any new ones required.

Yes some customs agents in France have been deliberately obstruperous. Just shows how right we were to leave such a petty minded superstate.

Your problems have not been caused by Brexit.

(What's a CTA?)

It’s hard to reorganise your whole business within a week when it’s survival is predicated just in time delivery.

So, what specifically has your business benefited from post Brexit?

"It’s hard to reorganise your whole business within a week when it’s survival is predicated just in time delivery.

So, what specifically has your business benefited from post Brexit?"

i agree with all your other points bar this - we didn’t have a weeks notice of brexit , people knew it was coming for a very long time and should have been appropriately preparing

"It’s hard to reorganise your whole business within a week when it’s survival is predicated just in time delivery.

i agree with all your other points bar this - we didn’t have a weeks notice of brexit , people knew it was coming for a very long time and should have been appropriately preparing"

That’s exactly my point though, we didn’t have a week we had 4+ years so prepared on the basis of a crap deal, and moved a chunk of production abroad. We made the right choice but it came at the expense of UK jobs, I’ve seen the building sites out there, lots of other British businesses did the same.

westerham

So, what specifically has your business benefited from post Brexit?"

We've benefitted from Britain's new Higher status in the world, days of Gloriana ahead.

There are very specific regulation relaxations (eg RVLR) that help us produce better products for world export end users than EU regulations allowed.

Some of our global import supply chain is now tariff free which it wasn't under the EU, so some imported components are cheaper.

Also the weather has improved since we've left, that's not a coincidence.

I'd still curious to know what a CTA is?

"

We've benefitted from Britain's new Higher status in the world, days of Gloriana ahead.

There are very specific regulation relaxations (eg RVLR) that help us produce better products for world export end users than EU regulations allowed.

Some of our global import supply chain is now tariff free which it wasn't under the EU, so some imported components are cheaper.

I'd still curious to know what a CTA is? "

Higher status in the world? Right. Can you quantify that at all? Sounds like fanciful nonsense. I travel all over and the idea Brexit is usually met with bewilderment and pity.

RVLR - Road vehicle lighting? How did the EU regulations stop you from making different products for other export destinations, that's completely bizarre. We'll still have to comply with EU standards when exporting to the EU, we just no longer have a say in them.

What imports have decreased in price? Is it less than the increase in price caused by the devaluation of sterling?

CTA is a Chartered Tax Adviser.

westerham

"

Higher status in the world? Right. Can you quantify that at all? Sounds like fanciful nonsense. I travel all over and the idea Brexit is usually met with bewilderment and pity.

RVLR - Road vehicle lighting? How did the EU regulations stop you from making different products for other export destinations, that's completely bizarre. We'll still have to comply with EU standards when exporting to the EU, we just no longer have a say in them.

What imports have decreased in price? Is it less than the increase in price caused by the devaluation of sterling?

"

RVLR gets extremely technical but as an example you can look up category 5 SDI commercial lighting and you will see the RVLR standard is both easier to implement and a better technical solution than the EU version, and is accepted in export markets.

South African oranges are now cheaper to import than Spanish ones since we left.

Thanks on the CTA though I'm not making the connection between that and commodity codes and your manufacturing moving to Poland.

"

RVLR gets extremely technical but as an example you can look up category 5 SDI commercial lighting and you will see the RVLR standard is both easier to implement and a better technical solution than the EU version, and is accepted in export markets.

South African oranges are now cheaper to import than Spanish ones since we left.

Thanks on the CTA though I'm not making the connection between that and commodity codes and your manufacturing moving to Poland. "

you can’t connect that manufacturing companies require accountants?

easier connection to make than the import price of oranges to manufacturing commercial lighting i would have thought

You could’ve implemented those standards for export markets regardless of Brexit.

Do oranges form a big part of your imports in making vehicle lighting?

The difference in tariffs in Oranges results in a 5% price reduction on tariffs, but we’ve lost more than double that in currency devaluation since 2016 and that’s on ALL imports rather than the rather narrow example of Oranges that no one cares about.

Someone with a CTA who works in global manufacture may advise on an mixture of compliance of things like VAT and Tariffs and on minimising these costs. The cost of this has grown significantly post Brexit, the move to Poland circumvents the need for export/import red tape with Europe.

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

"

Then I think you got way ahead of yourselves preparing for tariffs that were never going to happen.

Freights costs blipped and have have now settled down.

Commodity codes, certificates of origin are electronic and a child of four could sort out any new ones required.

Yes some customs agents in France have been deliberately obstruperous. Just shows how right we were to leave such a petty minded superstate.

Your problems have not been caused by Brexit.

(What's a CTA?) "

Just a little correction

Freight costs have risen and have stayed much higher along with the addition of customs costs.

Commodity codes can be interpreted differently by individual governments depending on the product.

We don’t have customs checks in U.K. so can’t compare with the French . HMRC can’t cope so have delayed by 12 months .

Manchester

i agree with all your other points bar this - we didn’t have a weeks notice of brexit , people knew it was coming for a very long time and should have been appropriately preparing"

The rules on the export process were issued on the 24th December 2020. No one knew the rules or procedures before then.

So you are incorrect in believing we could plan.

Chelmsford

Winners and losers and some casualties and some growth...

The people spoke.. it was a people's vote..they wanted out...

Sink or swim ..

It's the new world...

i agree with all your other points bar this - we didn’t have a weeks notice of brexit , people knew it was coming for a very long time and should have been appropriately preparing

The rules on the export process were issued on the 24th December 2020. No one knew the rules or procedures before then.

So you are incorrect in believing we could plan. "

it was referring to a business that relies on a JIT supply chain - that has nothing to do with what they export - without knowing the details you can slowly and steadily increase back stock of supplies to buy yourself time once the details are known - thats what a sensible business taking steps to prepare for the unknown would do

Chelmsford

All businesses need to adapt.. Brexit no different...

"All businesses need to adapt.. Brexit no different..."

Imagine if Brexit was avoided though, and businesses could have carried on without having to close, move, relocate into the EU, deal with extra red tape and expenses.

Wouldn't that have been great.

Chelmsford

Not you again..

It's like being in a bloomin time warp.. whatever year I choose you are there..

"Not you again..

It's like being in a bloomin time warp.. whatever year I choose you are there.. "

Maybe you could put a list of people who are allowed to reply in your OP.

I was very respectful when you requested that non-racists stopped posting on one of the "woke" threads.

If this thread is only for people who agree with you. Then I can leave you to it.

Chelmsford

"Not you again..

I was very respectful when you requested that non-racists stopped posting on one of the "woke" threads.

If this thread is only for people who agree with you. Then I can leave you to it."

I accept your offer.. on your terms...please never reply to my posts ever again...

Thank you and goodnight

"Not you again..

If this thread is only for people who agree with you. Then I can leave you to it.

I accept your offer.. on your terms...please never reply to my posts ever again...

Thank you and goodnight "

"Not you again..

Thank you and goodnight

"

I can reply to you though!

Hah.

Chelmsford

On the record.. Essex_Tom concedes defeat to Skysurfer..

Skysurfer is the new Sheriff in Town...

"On the record.. Essex_Tom concedes defeat to Skysurfer..

Skysurfer is the new Sheriff in Town..."

You were never the old Sheriff Tom, but at least your being magnanimous

Chelmsford

You were never the old Sheriff Tom, but at least your being magnanimous "

I never was the Sheriff but whoever that person was.. now it's you.. accept it with that burden ... Some great cowboy movies about that burden...

Not least Shane.. watch it sometime...

I never was the Sheriff but whoever that person was.. now it's you.. accept it with that burden ... Some great cowboy movies about that burden...

Not least Shane.. watch it sometime... "

I don’t want the title , you keep it, chill out and stay calm

Chelmsford

I don’t want the title , you keep it, chill out and stay calm "

You are the new Sheriff in town.. now that comes with a reputation and responsibility.. young guns will want to take you on and take your scalp and reputation...are you up for that challenge.? I lost my crown to you.. wear it well, with pride and authority.. I can only say, they will come...

I don’t want the title , you keep it, chill out and stay calm

You are the new Sheriff in town.. now that comes with a reputation and responsibility.. young guns will want to take you on and take your scalp and reputation...are you up for that challenge.? I lost my crown to you.. wear it well, with pride and authority.. I can only say, they will come..."

Chill out Tom, you can keep your badge,

Skysurfer is the new Sheriff in Town..."

I abdicate.

Chelmsford

I abdicate."

May be a little too late..

They will come...

Believe me..

They will come...

Manchester

it was referring to a business that relies on a JIT supply chain - that has nothing to do with what they export - without knowing the details you can slowly and steadily increase back stock of supplies to buy yourself time once the details are known - thats what a sensible business taking steps to prepare for the unknown would do "

And if your goods are perishable while you wait ?? Or by stopping production on orders you are critically damaging your finances or contracts?

PS the full details on imports still aren’t in place four months after Brexit so how do we plan for that? .

JIT by its nature doesn’t hold stock it’s usually devoid of warehouse space.

I’ve been running JIT for 35 years!

A large number of internationally trading businesses were and are being financially impacted by the lack of planning and last minute introduction of procedures by this government. There was no detail in place to plan.

Your optimism and simplistic view is admirable but the reality is somewhat different.

Manchester

"All businesses need to adapt.. Brexit no different..."

Of course business needs to adapt and for years they have on a daily basis but Brexit has only added costs and the loss of productive time which inevitably hits competitiveness and then eventually jobs.

Adapt to less margin by getting rid of workers that’s easy. Can’t see it being businesses favourite choice of development though.

It’s ok though we can soon get cheap Labour from India as the rules on immigration are being relaxed to get a trade deal over the line.

Have a look at the effect of localised wages by the flood of Indian workers now being employed in the middle east. They work for a third of the rate of U.K. engineers based there. Minimum wage earners in the U.K. won’t be affected but higher wage earners will.

it was referring to a business that relies on a JIT supply chain - that has nothing to do with what they export - without knowing the details you can slowly and steadily increase back stock of supplies to buy yourself time once the details are known - thats what a sensible business taking steps to prepare for the unknown would do

And if your goods are perishable while you wait ?? Or by stopping production on orders you are critically damaging your finances or contracts?

PS the full details on imports still aren’t in place four months after Brexit so how do we plan for that? .

A large number of internationally trading businesses were and are being financially impacted by the lack of planning and last minute introduction of procedures by this government. There was no detail in place to plan.

Your optimism and simplistic view is admirable but the reality is somewhat different. "

okay so my example was simplistic and you are being pedantic- you say you’ve been running JIT for 35 years so tell me this

did you wait and change your business in a week? or did you assess and mitigate potential risk to your business for a range of probable outcomes continually through the negotiation period? preparation comes in many forms

westerham

"You could’ve implemented those standards for export markets regardless of Brexit.

Do oranges form a big part of your imports in making vehicle lighting?

The difference in tariffs in Oranges results in a 5% price reduction on tariffs, but we’ve lost more than double that in currency devaluation since 2016 and that’s on ALL imports rather than the rather narrow example of Oranges that no one cares about.

Someone with a CTA who works in global manufacture may advise on an mixture of compliance of things like VAT and Tariffs and on minimising these costs. The cost of this has grown significantly post Brexit, the move to Poland circumvents the need for export/import red tape with Europe. "

I was expressing it simply in terms a bean counter would understand.

Broadly any tariff changes have been a reduction in our favour. And as has been said, you jumped the gun by years in moving production. That’s on you really.

Chelmsford

Some small businesses will gain...some will prosper and some will fail and the slack will be taken up...

That's life..

"Some small businesses will gain...some will prosper and some will fail and the slack will be taken up...

That's life.. "

That is the way it has always been , so, what is the point of Brexit?

Chelmsford

"Some small businesses will gain...some will prosper and some will fail and the slack will be taken up...

That's life..

That is the way it has always been , so, what is the point of Brexit? "

Let's now to your wisdom Sheriff

That's life..

Let's now to your wisdom Sheriff "

I don’t know the answer captain,

Chelmsford

That's life..

I don’t know the answer captain, "

Lost without leadership ?

That's life..

I don’t know the answer captain,

Lost without leadership ?"

Who is?

Chelmsford

Stand on your own feet ..

I am not your guide...

You take the mantle..

And with it comes the responsibily...

The hunter becomes the hunted..

Deal with it...

"Stand on your own feet ..

I am not your guide...

You take the mantle..

And with it comes the responsibily...

The hunter becomes the hunted..

Deal with it..."

Is everything ok Tom?

By *loughing the landMan  over a year ago

Cambridge

"All businesses need to adapt.. Brexit no different...

Of course business needs to adapt and for years they have on a daily basis but Brexit has only added costs and the loss of productive time which inevitably hits competitiveness and then eventually jobs.

Adapt to less margin by getting rid of workers that’s easy. Can’t see it being businesses favourite choice of development though.

It’s ok though we can soon get cheap Labour from India as the rules on immigration are being relaxed to get a trade deal over the line.

Have a look at the effect of localised wages by the flood of Indian workers now being employed in the middle east. They work for a third of the rate of U.K. engineers based there. Minimum wage earners in the U.K. won’t be affected but higher wage earners will.

"

. Whilst your businness may be impacted ( which is clearly unfortunate ) , the overall impact is immaterial. The FTSE 250 has reached an all time high. If the impact of Brexit was negative this would hardly be the case. The reality is we can simply ignore the impact of Brexit and adopt to changing circumstances.

For some hauliers the additional customs paper work in Continental loads is actually a benefit as those who have adapted quickly are finding that EU hauliers are now less likely to be competing against them at cut throat rates. Irish hauliers are also less likely to bring part loads to the UK.

Cambridge

So you are incorrect in believing we could plan. "

Sadly various organisations and people choose to obstruct the result of the referendum. Imagine how different things would have been if the UK had presented a united front in negotiations with the EU. The UK always had the upper hand in any negotiations but remain supporting MPs caused untold damage by obstructing the process at every stage.

Boris did a great job in very difficult circumstances. He can hardly be blamed for those who refused to accept the result of the referendum .

So you are incorrect in believing we could plan. Sadly various organisations and people choose to obstruct the result of the referendum. Imagine how different things would have been if the UK had presented a united front in negotiations with the EU. The UK always had the upper hand in any negotiations but remain supporting MPs caused untold damage by obstructing the process at every stage.

Boris did a great job in very difficult circumstances. He can hardly be blamed for those who refused to accept the result of the referendum . "

If it wasn’t for Boris and his cronies we would have left 2 years earlier

westerham

So you are incorrect in believing we could plan. Sadly various organisations and people choose to obstruct the result of the referendum. Imagine how different things would have been if the UK had presented a united front in negotiations with the EU. The UK always had the upper hand in any negotiations but remain supporting MPs caused untold damage by obstructing the process at every stage.

Boris did a great job in very difficult circumstances. He can hardly be blamed for those who refused to accept the result of the referendum .

If it wasn’t for Boris and his cronies we would have left 2 years earlier "

No, we'd have had BRINO

"

Boris did a great job in very difficult circumstances. He can hardly be blamed for those who refused to accept the result of the referendum . "

Do we have a second parody account!

westerham

"

"

Seems perfectly accurate to me. I still think the police should be more involved investigating acts of sedition by remainers.

"

Seems perfectly accurate to me. I still think the police should be more involved investigating acts of sedition by remainers. "

Confirmed.

westerham

"

Seems perfectly accurate to me. I still think the police should be more involved investigating acts of sedition by remainers.

Confirmed. "

I talked to my barrister friend who's confirmed private prosecutions are possible. I'm considering commencing proceedings against Ken Clarke and Lord Adonis for a start.

Manchester

Your optimism and simplistic view is admirable but the reality is somewhat different.

okay so my example was simplistic and you are being pedantic- you say you’ve been running JIT for 35 years so tell me this

did you wait and change your business in a week? or did you assess and mitigate potential risk to your business for a range of probable outcomes continually through the negotiation period? preparation comes in many forms "

Having exported and imported for most of those 35 years to countries outside of the EU we knew very well how to prepare imports and exports. We also stockpiled where we could but as I mentioned warehouses aren’t part of the picture and our clients don’t want production to stop so halting exports on some routes wasn’t an option.

The system introduced was manual and archaic.

No modern business could plan for the ridiculous mess the HMRC introduced and we certainly can’t plan for the mess they are in.

They have covered up the fact that the chief system isn’t fit for purpose by bypassing it’s limitations and giving us a manual export system from 40 years ago . Not only that they introduced inland facilities which require drivers to divert to cost us tens of thousands in divert and delay costs.

As most European destinations are T1 routes the added problems of local diversions for clearance adds further costs and burden

Our European offices are now taking centre stage to reduce costs and divert away from the need for T1 but it’s not possible on all routes

The joke is our exports are delayed but we have to tell out importing drivers to stop at the ports customs offices to manually process paperwork or they will just sail straight through and cause major retrospective problems.

EU exporters are laughing at us as we are hurting U.K. business but not them.

It would be interesting to see the number of imports which haven’t been declared in the last three months. I would guess it’s hundreds of thousands and true to form I’m sure it will be hidden by this government in a group write off amnesty.

"

Confirmed.

I talked to my barrister friend who's confirmed private prosecutions are possible. I'm considering commencing proceedings against Ken Clarke and Lord Adonis for a start. "

I just spoke to the current Lord Chief Justice, The Right Honourable The Lord Burnett of Maldon and he says your talking rubbish again

Manchester

. Whilst your businness may be impacted ( which is clearly unfortunate ) , the overall impact is immaterial. The FTSE 250 has reached an all time high. If the impact of Brexit was negative this would hardly be the case. The reality is we can simply ignore the impact of Brexit and adopt to changing circumstances.

For some hauliers the additional customs paper work in Continental loads is actually a benefit as those who have adapted quickly are finding that EU hauliers are now less likely to be competing against them at cut throat rates. Irish hauliers are also less likely to bring part loads to the UK. "

Yes we are impacted and are moving more production to Europe ( Brexit win?)

We are a reasonable size business so if our experience is anything to go by your comment of immaterial is just rubbish in my opinion.

Costs for U.K. companies over and above their continental competitors is a negative however you measure it.

Covid vaccine is the main driver on the FTSE as we are likely to recover quicker than most.

Higher shares great you own shares. So pension funds (positive) and wealthy investors. Still huge multi billion pound pension deficits for the employees of a lot of those FTSE 250.

I can’t see increased profits in the FTSE filtering down to the man/ woman in the street anytime soon.

Haulier costs going up so exporting will be more expensive .

Most of the UK’s international trade is handled by European hauliers so you’re saying higher prices for U.K. exporters and better profits for foreign hauliers is a good thing!! Bizarre!

Irish hauliers avoiding the U.K. will push the prices of exports to Ireland up .

Chelmsford

There will be winners..

There will be losers..

The people voted..

The people won..

Live with it and prosper

Or fold.. simple...

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"

Seems perfectly accurate to me. I still think the police should be more involved investigating acts of sedition by remainers. "

You need to get your Professor friends to sit you down with a nice cup of cocoa and explain to you what sedition means. I suspect you actually meant treason - as in the wilful execution of activities that are intended to, or would highly likely harm the Sovereign nation?

Then again... it wasn’t Remainers who were actively prosecuting a course of action that would result in harm to the nation.

Brexiters wholly own that one.

Cambridge

For some hauliers the additional customs paper work in Continental loads is actually a benefit as those who have adapted quickly are finding that EU hauliers are now less likely to be competing against them at cut throat rates. Irish hauliers are also less likely to bring part loads to the UK.

We are a reasonable size business so if our experience is anything to go by your comment of immaterial is just rubbish in my opinion.

Costs for U.K. companies over and above their continental competitors is a negative however you measure it.

Covid vaccine is the main driver on the FTSE as we are likely to recover quicker than most.

Higher shares great you own shares. So pension funds (positive) and wealthy investors. Still huge multi billion pound pension deficits for the employees of a lot of those FTSE 250.

I can’t see increased profits in the FTSE filtering down to the man/ woman in the street anytime soon.

Most of the UK’s international trade is handled by European hauliers so you’re saying higher prices for U.K. exporters and better profits for foreign hauliers is a good thing!! Bizarre!

Irish hauliers avoiding the U.K. will push the prices of exports to Ireland up . "

I can see at least two readily identifiable means by which these gains will feed through to the man / woman in the street . Employees participating in a profit share scheme will receive a payout and those participating in a companies share save scheme are likely to benefit substantially . In addition any organisation such as a church or charity who hold investments bequeathed to them will receive both an uplift in capital value of those investments and an increase in legacy income .

Cambridge

Irish hauliers avoiding the U.K. will push the prices of exports to Ireland up . "

. Hello . In light of your comment I decided to review the accounts of Oxfam . As they current hold equities to the value of circa £100 million I am sure that a strongly performing FTSE 250 is of considerable benefit to the various organisations to which they provide aid .

westerham

"

You need to get your Professor friends to sit you down with a nice cup of cocoa and explain to you what sedition means. I suspect you actually meant treason - as in the wilful execution of activities that are intended to, or would highly likely harm the Sovereign nation?

Then again... it wasn’t Remainers who were actively prosecuting a course of action that would result in harm to the nation.

Brexiters wholly own that one."

No, sedition is exactly what I said and mean, have another google.

"There will be winners..

There will be losers..

The people voted..

The people won..

Live with it and prosper

Or fold.. simple..."

Chill out Tom, tomorrow is another day

Manchester

"There will be winners..

There will be losers..

The people voted..

The people won..

Live with it and prosper

Or fold.. simple..."

Most will be losers according to the facts so far including the governments own statistics.

Some people certainly didn’t know what they were voting for judging by some fisherman and Spanish residents . But win they did!!

westerham

"There will be winners..

There will be losers..

The people voted..

The people won..

Live with it and prosper

Or fold.. simple...

Most will be losers according to the facts so far including the governments own statistics.

Some people certainly didn’t know what they were voting for judging by some fisherman and Spanish residents . But win they did!! "

I find lots of remainers to be utterly clueless about the world

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

Nobody has a clue whats going on, yesterday Irelands health minister Stephen Donnelley said they had joined the legal case taken against AZ and a eu commission spokesman Eric Mamer followed up by saying the eu had not launched a legal process against AZ.

Manchester

"There will be winners..

There will be losers..

The people voted..

The people won..

Live with it and prosper

Or fold.. simple...

Some people certainly didn’t know what they were voting for judging by some fisherman and Spanish residents . But win they did!!

I find lots of remainers to be utterly clueless about the world "

I’m sure you are right and feel fee to show us all where they were wrong on extra costs and increased red tape ?

I don’t buy into the no fly stuff myself but EasyJet moved out of U.K. registration so not good .

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"There will be winners..

There will be losers..

The people voted..

The people won..

Live with it and prosper

Or fold.. simple...

I’m sure you are right and feel fee to show us all where they were wrong on extra costs and increased red tape ?

I don’t buy into the no fly stuff myself but EasyJet moved out of U.K. registration so not good . "

Of course they did the eu mafia would not let them fly internally in europe otherwise what do you expect them to do.The eu doesn't want outside competition If they keep everything internal they dont have to worry .

Manchester

Irish hauliers avoiding the U.K. will push the prices of exports to Ireland up . . Hello . In light of your comment I decided to review the accounts of Oxfam . As they current hold equities to the value of circa £100 million I am sure that a strongly performing FTSE 250 is of considerable benefit to the various organisations to which they provide aid . "

Couldn’t agree more with Oxfam. The church also have heavy investments as the collections do t cut it anymore.

The share scheme you mentioned is worth around £500m per year but it’s outstripped by share saving schemes and the EMI scheme. The EMI is usually reserved for senior managers to own shares and sell with only a 10% liability on tax. Don’t think that’s on offer to most factory workers . We can quote winners and losers all night if you wish.

On the subject of share increases the big runners recently have been banks as people I personally believe look for security .

Interestingly some traders last week are recommending getting out of a lot of shares as they are looking like they are becoming a very risky bubble . An example in America is Tesla which market value works out at $1.2m a car produced so far. That looks like a bit of over valuation.

We will see who’s right in a while I’m sure.

Manchester

"There will be winners..

There will be losers..

The people voted..

The people won..

Live with it and prosper

Or fold.. simple...

I don’t buy into the no fly stuff myself but EasyJet moved out of U.K. registration so not good . Of course they did the eu mafia would not let them fly internally in europe otherwise what do you expect them to do.The eu doesn't want outside competition If they keep everything internal they dont have to worry . "

The EU protecting their countries interests . Yes we had that protection once!

It’s ok we have all the cards now so that good.

We can play solitaire .

The Indian deal rests on easier immigration so those who voted for less immigrants are going to be pissed!!

Maybe Farage can count and report the planes as they arrive legally!! Or maybe Pritti can fly them to the Falklands to be checked!

Chelmsford

Such negativity here..

We are out and the sun actually rises the next day..

Remainders actually seem to walk around with a dark raincloud over their heads..

"Such negativity here..

Remainders actually seem to walk around with a dark raincloud over their heads.. "

Chelmsford

"Such negativity here..

Remainders actually seem to walk around with a dark raincloud over their heads..

Chill out Tom, your getting excited again "

You are the Sheriff and I am sure will be a good moderator to sort out these threads..

Your reputation is growing by the day...

"Such negativity here..

You are the Sheriff and I am sure will be a good moderator to sort out these threads..

Your reputation is growing by the day... "

You can call me Captain,

» Add a new message to this topic