FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > B16172 now considered high risk

B16172 now considered high risk

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *sussexy OP   Man  over a year ago

Lewes

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/06/new-concerns-indian-covid-variant-clusters-found-across-england-ongoing-risk-high

Clusters of the Indian variants of Covid-19 have been found across England. Who could have seen that coming? Oh wait. Just as well we closed the borders in time. Oh, well. Almost in time.

But it's OK, because Major Sleaze's govt is trying to suppress the news until polls close, so no damage done. (Let's ignore the incipient lock-down and loss of human life for now).

But:

1. It's the Guardian, so about 70% of the people who frequent this forum will ignore it.

2. Corbyn would have let more variants in.

3. It's a global pandemic, no-body could have done a better job.

4. Isn't the vaccination program doing well

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/06/new-concerns-indian-covid-variant-clusters-found-across-england-ongoing-risk-high

Clusters of the Indian variants of Covid-19 have been found across England. Who could have seen that coming? Oh wait. Just as well we closed the borders in time. Oh, well. Almost in time.

But it's OK, because Major Sleaze's govt is trying to suppress the news until polls close, so no damage done. (Let's ignore the incipient lock-down and loss of human life for now).

But:

1. It's the Guardian, so about 70% of the people who frequent this forum will ignore it.

4. Isn't the vaccination program doing well"

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/06/new-concerns-indian-covid-variant-clusters-found-across-england-ongoing-risk-high

But:

4. Isn't the vaccination program doing well"

You forgot No.5

5: Got Brexit Done . Controlling our Borders

But:

You forgot No.5

5: Got Brexit Done . Controlling our Borders"

6. "Remoaners".

But:

You forgot No.5

5: Got Brexit Done . Controlling our Borders

6. "Remoaners"."

7 Gammons

Lewes

Just watched Indie SAGE update, where they showed that the curve for B1617.2 is steeper than B117 was in September. You would have thought that we would have learnt that time is of the essence.

And the government and the BBC are focused on green lists (and the whumping that Labour got yesterday)

Lewes

So here we are a week later, and we now know the variant may be 60% more transmissible than B.1.1.7 (Kent), is all over the country, and the PM is "anxious" (but still not anxious enough to take any action).

But who could possible have seen this coming? It's a global pandemic. No-one is to blame. At least it isn't Corbyn in charge, eh?

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"So here we are a week later, and we now know the variant may be 60% more transmissible than B.1.1.7 (Kent), is all over the country, and the PM is "anxious" (but still not anxious enough to take any action).

But who could possible have seen this coming? It's a global pandemic. No-one is to blame. At least it isn't Corbyn in charge, eh?"

What in your expert opinion should he be doing about it right now?

Lewes

"What in your expert opinion should he be doing about it right now?"

I am not an expert, but...

some of the things he has been being advised to do for over a year, such as locally based find, test, trace, isolate and support (ie make it possible for the less well off to isolate, so they are not scared to get a test).

And stop talking about easing lockdown (if you say we can hug in a fortnight, people start doing it straight away).

And listen to Indie SAGE - they _are_ experts.

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

Or it could be laid at the government in India for not taking it seriously enough just a thought

near ipswich

"What in your expert opinion should he be doing about it right now?

I am not an expert, but...

some of the things he has been being advised to do for over a year, such as locally based find, test, trace, isolate and support (ie make it possible for the less well off to isolate, so they are not scared to get a test).

And stop talking about easing lockdown (if you say we can hug in a fortnight, people start doing it straight away).

And listen to Indie SAGE - they _are_ experts."

Well i think they are listening to sage and as for talking about easing the lockdown you really have the media to blame for that as the government have laid out their route out of it for ages now.There was always going to be a rise in cases with the easing and they knew that, thats why they have the gap between each stage to assess how much it is rising.The country cannot stay in lockdown forever and with the death rate down and intensive care admissions down i think they doing the right thing.

Lewes

"Or it could be laid at the government in India for not taking it seriously enough just a thought"

It was always my understanding that the government responsible for looking after the safety of citizens of a country was the government of that country. But if I am wrong, there is a one word response to you: Kent.

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"Or it could be laid at the government in India for not taking it seriously enough just a thought"

Bites tongue

Lewes

"Well i think they are listening to sage"

Please read what I said. Indie Sage are a group of scientists who are free to express their opinions. SAGE are a group of scientists (at least one is in both groups) who - as I understand it - meet with representatives of HMG, who guide (and limit) discussions.

"as for talking about easing the lockdown you really have the media to blame for that as the government have laid out their route out of it for ages now."

Forgive me. I could have sworn I heard Boris say "hug" the other day. Must have been the meeja making it up.

"There was always going to be a rise in cases with the easing and they knew that, thats why they have the gap between each stage to assess how much it is rising.The country cannot stay in lockdown forever and with the death rate down and intensive care admissions down i think they doing the right thing."

Indeed, but the rate of increase is exceeding that which was planned for in the areas where B.16.17.2 is to be found. It will inevitably spread to all areas unless something is done very rapidly (and there is no sign of that).

Lewes

"

Bites tongue

"

Probably the optimal response, but I am really pissed off about this. How many times are they going to react too late and leave us in this mess?

You couldn't make this lot up, really

liverpool

"

Bites tongue

Probably the optimal response, but I am really pissed off about this. How many times are they going to react too late and leave us in this mess?

You couldn't make this lot up, really"

I think you just learn to shake your head and walk away

The vaccine has hugely got them off the hook.

No wonder they are stonewalling this investigation.

thornaby

"

Bites tongue

You couldn't make this lot up, really"

ffs the mental health is a much bigger problem brewing than covid now my local hospital had 3 people in intensive care last week from covid I know more lads than that who have killed themselves this year

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

"So here we are a week later, and we now know the variant may be 60% more transmissible than B.1.1.7 (Kent), is all over the country, and the PM is "anxious" (but still not anxious enough to take any action).

But who could possible have seen this coming? It's a global pandemic. No-one is to blame. At least it isn't Corbyn in charge, eh?What in your expert opinion should he be doing about it right now?"

Picked up a family member from Manchester airport who arrived on a domestic flight on the 5th May. The Dubai flight arrived just before. It was full of what I believed to be Indians and I made a point to look at their luggage tags. A large number had transfer tags. So yes you guessed it they came from India via Dubai.

What is the point of border controls if we don’t use them? We knew the variant was running rife in India weeks before and only banned direct arrivals weeks later. It doesn’t take too much thought to work out people would go via a third country. I think Dubai has stepped in and stopped the route now.

Lewes

"

ffs the mental health is a much bigger problem brewing than covid now my local hospital had 3 people in intensive care last week from covid I know more lads than that who have killed themselves this year "

Yup. Things are pretty good at the moment in terms of ICU, and deaths are at a however many month low. But both those are lagging indicators, and at the moment the number of cases of B.16.17.2 are still manageable, but doubling every few days. In 3 months, even summer months, the situation in ICU will change. Every day counts - the government has made this mistake three times already and here we are again.

And you talk about mental health (and other about the economy) as though there is a choice between good mental health and good pandemic response. A good pandemic response leads to a protected economy and normal levels of mental health issues. Look at the countries that are getting it right: no deaths, no recession, no additional mental health problems. We are getting it wrong wrong wrong (and we aren't allowed to do our shared hobby).

near ipswich

"

ffs the mental health is a much bigger problem brewing than covid now my local hospital had 3 people in intensive care last week from covid I know more lads than that who have killed themselves this year

Yup. Things are pretty good at the moment in terms of ICU, and deaths are at a however many month low. But both those are lagging indicators, and at the moment the number of cases of B.16.17.2 are still manageable, but doubling every few days. In 3 months, even summer months, the situation in ICU will change. Every day counts - the government has made this mistake three times already and here we are again.

And you talk about mental health (and other about the economy) as though there is a choice between good mental health and good pandemic response. A good pandemic response leads to a protected economy and normal levels of mental health issues. Look at the countries that are getting it right: no deaths, no recession, no additional mental health problems. We are getting it wrong wrong wrong (and we aren't allowed to do our shared hobby)."

Nope i disagree the vaccination programme will stop the icu and deaths rise that you predict.

Lewes

"

Nope i disagree the vaccination programme will stop the icu and deaths rise that you predict."

Well, no disrespect, but if I had to chose between advice from you or Professor Christina Pagel I'll probably be going to her...

I hope I won't be posting "I told you so" on this thread in about 4 months...

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"Just watched Indie SAGE update, where they showed that the curve for B1617.2 is steeper than B117 was in September. You would have thought that we would have learnt that time is of the essence.

And the government and the BBC are focused on green lists (and the whumping that Labour got yesterday)"

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

But who could possible have seen this coming? It's a global pandemic. No-one is to blame. At least it isn't Corbyn in charge, eh?What in your expert opinion should he be doing about it right now?

Picked up a family member from Manchester airport who arrived on a domestic flight on the 5th May. The Dubai flight arrived just before. It was full of what I believed to be Indians and I made a point to look at their luggage tags. A large number had transfer tags. So yes you guessed it they came from India via Dubai.

What is the point of border controls if we don’t use them? We knew the variant was running rife in India weeks before and only banned direct arrivals weeks later. It doesn’t take too much thought to work out people would go via a third country. I think Dubai has stepped in and stopped the route now. "

There were reports of Indians arriving, via Istanbul and Dubai, just days after the direct flight quarantine.

Whilst the flight system may need tightening up in places, the people circumventing the system have got to shoulder the blame.

Lewes

"the people circumventing the system have got to shoulder the blame. "

Err, no. The system was designed with loopholes. No-one (especially not someone whose father uses all kinds of loop-holes to get to his holiday homes) could have failed to notice that.

Our government has a responsibility to protect its citizens. End of. They have (again) failed.

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

But who could possible have seen this coming? It's a global pandemic. No-one is to blame. At least it isn't Corbyn in charge, eh?What in your expert opinion should he be doing about it right now?

What is the point of border controls if we don’t use them? We knew the variant was running rife in India weeks before and only banned direct arrivals weeks later. It doesn’t take too much thought to work out people would go via a third country. I think Dubai has stepped in and stopped the route now.

There were reports of Indians arriving, via Istanbul and Dubai, just days after the direct flight quarantine.

Whilst the flight system may need tightening up in places, the people circumventing the system have got to shoulder the blame. "

I also blame those travelling but these arrivals were weeks after the quarantine which is definitely border force at fault. It’s like having a locked prison cell but each cell has an open window for the prisoner to climb out.

Bare in mind it was quite a few weeks before that ban the medical advice was calling for restrictions. So the process was a slow rambling mess all the way.

Result, the India variant has got a foothold and may result in local restrictions at least.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

"the people circumventing the system have got to shoulder the blame.

Err, no. The system was designed with loopholes. No-one (especially not someone whose father uses all kinds of loop-holes to get to his holiday homes) could have failed to notice that.

Our government has a responsibility to protect its citizens. End of. They have (again) failed."

You need to convince me that all that exploited that loophole, have followed the quarantine restrictions to the letter, because the evidence is suggesting otherwise.

near ipswich

"

Nope i disagree the vaccination programme will stop the icu and deaths rise that you predict.

Well, no disrespect, but if I had to chose between advice from you or Professor Christina Pagel I'll probably be going to her...

I hope I won't be posting "I told you so" on this thread in about 4 months..."

I hope you will be posting an apology in a few months time as the government have said there is no evidence that the virus escapes the vaccine or is more severe on people.

Lewes

"

You need to convince me that all that exploited that loophole, have followed the quarantine restrictions to the letter, because the evidence is suggesting otherwise. "

How about I convince you that the system was weak and inappropriate and we should have had a system like that employed in the countries who have taken the pandemic seriously and were not happy with the idea of seeing bodies piled high. There. Done it.

near ipswich

"

You need to convince me that all that exploited that loophole, have followed the quarantine restrictions to the letter, because the evidence is suggesting otherwise.

How about I convince you that the system was weak and inappropriate and we should have had a system like that employed in the countries who have taken the pandemic seriously and were not happy with the idea of seeing bodies piled high. There. Done it."

What countries do you have in mind?

thornaby

"

And you talk about mental health (and other about the economy) as though there is a choice between good mental health and good pandemic response. A good pandemic response leads to a protected economy and normal levels of mental health issues. Look at the countries that are getting it right: no deaths, no recession, no additional mental health problems. We are getting it wrong wrong wrong (and we aren't allowed to do our shared hobby)."

so do we just lock ourselves up scared for maybe another 18 months ffs

Lewes

"

What countries do you have in mind?"

Because you are too lazy to use a search engine, I found this for you: https://www.movehub.com/blog/best-and-worst-covid-responses/#three

It lists the top and bottom 5.

Slightly subjective, but all the lists I have seen have these 5 in or near the top.

And, as you would expect, the UK is in the bottom 5. Actually, you probably wouldn't expect it...

Lewes

"

so do we just lock ourselves up scared for maybe another 18 months ffs "

That would be pretty extreme (and possibly wouldn't work). As I said further up the thread a properly executed and funded locally based find, test, trace, isolate and support system is the major (and still missing) component in the solution.

But as a country we prefer giving much more money to much less effective friends of Boris.

near ipswich

"

What countries do you have in mind?

Because you are too lazy to use a search engine, I found this for you: https://www.movehub.com/blog/best-and-worst-covid-responses/#three

It lists the top and bottom 5.

Slightly subjective, but all the lists I have seen have these 5 in or near the top.

And, as you would expect, the UK is in the bottom 5. Actually, you probably wouldn't expect it..."

very subjective if you ask me.

Lewes

"

very subjective if you ask me. "

You astound me.

Let's go with some cold numbers:

India: The world's worst outbreak. 17 deaths per 100,000

UK: Guided by the science. Did everything we could. 191 deaths per 100,000. (and another wave likely on the way)

near ipswich

"

You astound me.

UK: Guided by the science. Did everything we could. 191 deaths per 100,000. (and another wave likely on the way)"

Try digging a bit deeper how are the deaths recorded i will give you one example then go away and do a bit of research.The uk records any deaths that people have been tested positive in 28 days Germany on the other hand only record people who died of covid if they did,if they had other underlining conditions such as cancer or heart problems for instance that will be recorded as cause of death.I wont even go into your other claims about testing just look on the worldmeter site and you will see we are way higher than most countries.

Lewes

"

The uk records any deaths that people have been tested positive in 28 days "

Which means it omits all those who died of COVID but weren't tested (we have only recently started throwing tests away - remember we were sklow off the mark with tests and at one point when the WHO advice was "test test test" our policy was "no tests, take it on the chin".

Probably the best stats are the excess deaths figures, which are worse.

Lewes

Times says

'Minutes of Thursday’s emergency meeting of the Sage committee of scientific advisers reveal that ministers were told progressing with “step three” of unlocking might lead to a “substantial resurgence” of hospitalisations “similar to, or larger than, previous peaks”, which would wreak havoc in the NHS. And if the government also persists in unlocking on June 21, the size of the third wave could double that of January’s peak.

Senior government sources said the modelling presented was “not convincing” and that ministers decided to press ahead because the Indian variant was leading to more cases but not yet to more hospitalisations.'

Our ministers seem not to be aware that hospitalisations are a lagging indicator - approx 2-3 weeks. They are beyond stupid.

I think there should be manslaughter charges brought against these people. There is enough compelling evidence. At the very least they will have to plead incompetence to get off, which is worth something...

near ipswich

"

The uk records any deaths that people have been tested positive in 28 days

Which means it omits all those who died of COVID but weren't tested (we have only recently started throwing tests away - remember we were sklow off the mark with tests and at one point when the WHO advice was "test test test" our policy was "no tests, take it on the chin".

Probably the best stats are the excess deaths figures, which are worse.

"

everyone was slow off the mark with testing that really doesn't help your argument in fact it supports mine if you look at the tests per million people we are testing far more people than the rest of the world hence we are finding more people with it.

liverpool

"

You astound me.

UK: Guided by the science. Did everything we could. 191 deaths per 100,000. (and another wave likely on the way)Try digging a bit deeper how are the deaths recorded i will give you one example then go away and do a bit of research.The uk records any deaths that people have been tested positive in 28 days Germany on the other hand only record people who died of covid if they did,if they had other underlining conditions such as cancer or heart problems for instance that will be recorded as cause of death.I wont even go into your other claims about testing just look on the worldmeter site and you will see we are way higher than most countries."

It's quite simple

When it was rampaging through italy and Spain we used to say how great we were doing.

When our figures went through the roof,it was discovered we were counting it wrong.

Also we have a particular type of demographic which Is unique in the whole world..which means that we have actually handled it quite well.

Hope that clears that up

"

You astound me.

UK: Guided by the science. Did everything we could. 191 deaths per 100,000. (and another wave likely on the way)Try digging a bit deeper how are the deaths recorded i will give you one example then go away and do a bit of research.The uk records any deaths that people have been tested positive in 28 days Germany on the other hand only record people who died of covid if they did,if they had other underlining conditions such as cancer or heart problems for instance that will be recorded as cause of death.I wont even go into your other claims about testing just look on the worldmeter site and you will see we are way higher than most countries.

It's quite simple

When it was rampaging through italy and Spain we used to say how great we were doing.

When our figures went through the roof,it was discovered we were counting it wrong.

Also we have a particular type of demographic which Is unique in the whole world..which means that we have actually handled it quite well.

Hope that clears that up

"

It’s because we are a small island, and we all know it’s more difficult to control a virus on a small island

liverpool

"

You astound me.

UK: Guided by the science. Did everything we could. 191 deaths per 100,000. (and another wave likely on the way)Try digging a bit deeper how are the deaths recorded i will give you one example then go away and do a bit of research.The uk records any deaths that people have been tested positive in 28 days Germany on the other hand only record people who died of covid if they did,if they had other underlining conditions such as cancer or heart problems for instance that will be recorded as cause of death.I wont even go into your other claims about testing just look on the worldmeter site and you will see we are way higher than most countries.

It's quite simple

Hope that clears that up

It’s because we are a small island, and we all know it’s more difficult to control a virus on a small island "

Virtually impossible

We also have the only disobedient population on the planet

Lewes

I would like to formally thank the last two posters for showing me the error of my ways. I will never learn, will I?

near ipswich

"

You astound me.

It's quite simple

Hope that clears that up

"

I think you will find it was the new kent variant that increased the transmition dramatically and even after informing the world about it as soon as it was discovered and 40 countries immediately banned travel it still managed to escape.just like the new Indian variant it in all of europe now not just the uk but i guess that down to the uk in your book.

liverpool

"I would like to formally thank the last two posters for showing me the error of my ways. I will never learn, will I?

"

You will get there

Few tips...whatever the gmnt do ,its never their responsibility...its either the eu or labours fault..bonus points for bringing up wee nicola

Lewes

Oh look. Up to 4 thousand per day and doubling every week. And another variant with many of the same mutations (and some more that are thought might threaten vaccine efficiency) has now found its way here as well.

Hospitalisation levels are also on the up, but vaccinations have definitely had a beneficial impact.

Who could have seen that coming eh? (er - anyone with a brain, which sadly excludes our government).

Lewes

Oh look. Up to 6 thousand per day and still roughly doubling every week. 30-100% more transmissible than B117, also evidence of vaccine escape.

Who could have seen that coming eh? (er - anyone with a brain, which sadly excludes our government).

One thing I didn't predict. The name change. Now "delta".

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Oh look. Up to 6 thousand per day and still roughly doubling every week. 30-100% more transmissible than B117, also evidence of vaccine escape.

One thing I didn't predict. The name change. Now "delta"."

They decided that from now on.. each variant of concern rather than doing the number thing, will get a letter of the Greek alphabet.. so that will make it easier for the public…

Anyway… delta is the most dominant strain in the UK now…

Lewes

Well the "good news"* is that Boris has decided not to do a further loosening of restrictions.

The bad news is that the last lot of easing (which they allowed to go ahead - against all scientific advice - just after this thread started) is doing the damage it was always going to do. The hospitals will soon be a lot more full, deaths will start to go up again, and many young people will have long Covid.

*Obviously the government's totally catastrophic mishandling of this pandemic is not good news for people who like to get up close and personal with people outside their household, but good news in the sense that they are (for once) taking a decision to protect lives rather than kill more people.

Lewes

Golly. The first hospital has gone to code black. Who could have seen that coming eh?

Good thing it isn't Corbyn though - imagine what a disaster that would have been.

And we have freedom day to look forward to. Yay!

"Golly. The first hospital has gone to code black. Who could have seen that coming eh?

Good thing it isn't Corbyn though - imagine what a disaster that would have been.

And we have freedom day to look forward to. Yay!"

Raigmore?

near ipswich

"Golly. The first hospital has gone to code black. Who could have seen that coming eh?

And we have freedom day to look forward to. Yay!

Raigmore?"

I wonder if he knows thats in Scotland.

Lewes

"I wonder if he knows thats in Scotland. "

Oh - we are playing the "you can only count the parts of the union that Brexiteers haven't irrevocably lost" rules? My mistake.

Not long to wait, anyway... tick tock...

"I wonder if he knows thats in Scotland.

Oh - we are playing the "you can only count the parts of the union that Brexiteers haven't irrevocably lost" rules? My mistake.

Not long to wait, anyway... tick tock...

"

No, I think we are playing 'The OP is about England' so this hospital has zero relevance.

Lewes

Oh my god. Look at those numbers. Hospitals closing for routine business - in England! Deaths (a lagging indicator) well up. Who could have seen that coming eh?

Quick! Open the nightclubs! Stop wearing masks!

Imagine what it would have been like if they hadn't had a data not dates policy - If they weren't following the science!

I know that within a few hours there will be some whataboutist / apologist posting to justify this behaviour... someone who voted for this shower. Well, remember - you have blood on your hands. At the moment, just the blood of people on these islands. But the rest of the world is looking on in amazement as the vaccine resistant mutant factory kicks into gear. We could set the whole planet back two years.

I didn't think I could get more ashamed of my nation and its incompetence, but every day I discover I have untapped reserves.

liverpool

"Oh my god. Look at those numbers. Hospitals closing for routine business - in England! Deaths (a lagging indicator) well up. Who could have seen that coming eh?

Quick! Open the nightclubs! Stop wearing masks!

Imagine what it would have been like if they hadn't had a data not dates policy - If they weren't following the science!

I know that within a few hours there will be some whataboutist / apologist posting to justify this behaviour... someone who voted for this shower. Well, remember - you have blood on your hands. At the moment, just the blood of people on these islands. But the rest of the world is looking on in amazement as the vaccine resistant mutant factory kicks into gear. We could set the whole planet back two years.

I didn't think I could get more ashamed of my nation and its incompetence, but every day I discover I have untapped reserves."

A load of scientists have done a letter to the Lancet saying how irresponsible it is.

But dont worry the fan club have got their excuses already.. its all fault for not taking responsibility.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

I thought that this thread was going to be about a dangerous road that needed widening or something...

liverpool

"I thought that this thread was going to be about a dangerous road that needed widening or something..."

» Add a new message to this topic