FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Inflation rising - time for a rate rise?

Inflation rising - time for a rate rise?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *bernath OP   Couple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Looks like it.

Time for a rise in interest rates to cool inflation?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Not for a few months yet!

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

I agree with Mercury . It will be a while yet. With our economy in the toilet the last thing we need is more expensive money.

By *ittleAcornMan  over a year ago

I doubt it. The government do not want to encourage saving at present, they need every penny to be spent by the consumer!

So I doubt they will touch rates just yet.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Inflation in this country is a ticking time bomb. The huge increase in the cost of importing from the Far East is going to send inflation to crazy levels. Economically there’s fun times ahead

Grantham

Inflation is being watched by the BoE, the Fed, the ECB.

They all see it as a matter of concern but none intend to take any action yet. They are all waiting to see if its temporary.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I agree with others, that nothing will be done for quite some time. Can't have disquiet too soon, following all of the house purchases, at higher borrowing costs

By *ittleAcornMan  over a year ago

"I agree with others, that nothing will be done for quite some time. Can't have disquiet too soon, following all of the house purchases, at higher borrowing costs

"

Might be time to think about a remortgage with a fixed rate.

By *ebbie69Couple  over a year ago

milton keynes

"Inflation is being watched by the BoE, the Fed, the ECB.

They all see it as a matter of concern but none intend to take any action yet. They are all waiting to see if its temporary. "

Indeed. Quite possibly temporary with lots of factors at play including that ship that blocked the Suez canal which caused problems. They will need to monitor closely as always though. As others say it needs to be kept in control

By *amish SMan  over a year ago

Eastleigh

Problem is not much can be had from the far east at the moment. If it cannot be bought inflation can't grow.

"Problem is not much can be had from the far east at the moment. If it cannot be bought inflation can't grow. "

Oh it can it just is being bought with huge shipping increases and increased raw material increases. The cost to just the industries I’m involved in is causing wholesalers to massively increase prices which inevitably is impacting on prices to the end user

By *ebbie69Couple  over a year ago

milton keynes

"Problem is not much can be had from the far east at the moment. If it cannot be bought inflation can't grow.

Oh it can it just is being bought with huge shipping increases and increased raw material increases. The cost to just the industries I’m involved in is causing wholesalers to massively increase prices which inevitably is impacting on prices to the end user "

Yes I see that too the other week of the shipping costs from the far east have gone up. Mostly blamed on the Suez problem but also the pandemic not helped

"Problem is not much can be had from the far east at the moment. If it cannot be bought inflation can't grow.

Oh it can it just is being bought with huge shipping increases and increased raw material increases. The cost to just the industries I’m involved in is causing wholesalers to massively increase prices which inevitably is impacting on prices to the end user

Yes I see that too the other week of the shipping costs from the far east have gone up. Mostly blamed on the Suez problem but also the pandemic not helped"

The Suez Canal exasperated the problem but it was already crazy prices before that happened. Shipping rates that were $2-3k 12 months ago are now hitting rates in excess of $20k.

Grantham

Yes I see that too the other week of the shipping costs from the far east have gone up. Mostly blamed on the Suez problem but also the pandemic not helped

The Suez Canal exasperated the problem but it was already crazy prices before that happened. Shipping rates that were $2-3k 12 months ago are now hitting rates in excess of $20k. "

I've heard that the Chinese shipping agents have set a cartel up to fix prices?

Surely it’s the shipping lines that benefit from the vastly increased rates ?

It’s a nightmare scenario for shipping agents also. Mine in the UK has had to take on extra staff as what was once a simple procedure has now become a huge hassle.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"Surely it’s the shipping lines that benefit from the vastly increased rates ?

It’s a nightmare scenario for shipping agents also. Mine in the UK has had to take on extra staff as what was once a simple procedure has now become a huge hassle. "

Its the container prices that have gone through the roof and as china own and make the vast majority of these they can control the price.

You mean the cost of the actual manufacture of the container itself ? No that’s incorrect, it’s the cost of the actual shipping on the vessel that’s gone through the roof. To ship it from port to port

near ipswich

"You mean the cost of the actual manufacture of the container itself ? No that’s incorrect, it’s the cost of the actual shipping on the vessel that’s gone through the roof. To ship it from port to port "
No i didnt say anything about the cost of making them although they are deliberately not making as many as needed to keep the price high, the cost of hiring a container has gone through the roof due to several things, more demand due to covid, empty containers being in the wrong place and to a small extent the ship being stuck in the suez.

near ipswich

"You mean the cost of the actual manufacture of the container itself ? No that’s incorrect, it’s the cost of the actual shipping on the vessel that’s gone through the roof. To ship it from port to port "
No i didnt say anything about the cost of making them although they are deliberately not making as many as needed to keep the price high, the cost of hiring a container has gone through the roof due to several things, more demand due to covid, empty containers being in the wrong place and to a small extent the ship being stuck in the suez.

Eastleigh

Oh it can it just is being bought with huge shipping increases and increased raw material increases. The cost to just the industries I’m involved in is causing wholesalers to massively increase prices which inevitably is impacting on prices to the end user "

Nice problem to have, some of my suppliers just can't get the raw material, so to me it does not matter how high the cost.

Manchester

Doesn’t bode well for replacing EU trade with global trade does it. Not much security of supply or price out there.

It’s the shipping lines that are profiting on this at the moment. They learnt the lesson of over capacity a few years ago and are now ripping off shippers no matter what your size.

Eastleigh

The EU is experiencing the same supply issues as the UK - not a UK far east issue, but global. Why do you think German car makers are reporting new car supply delays, and reductions in shifts.

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

Cookstown

5% would be nice

Grantham

Latest US inflation figures just released at 5.4%.

The monthly rise of 0.9% is the highest since 2008.

By *jonesMan  over a year ago

Totnes

We need an interest rate rise to cool the housing market and reward savers

By *bernath OP   Couple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Heard about the shipping container prices, it sounds like a plausible argument.

Shows how reliant we are on imports to meet consumer demand.

Makes you think about how much this country is at the mercy of economic factors which are beyond our countries control, or so we are led to believe.

Manchester

"The EU is experiencing the same supply issues as the UK - not a UK far east issue, but global. Why do you think German car makers are reporting new car supply delays, and reductions in shifts. "

If we import from Germany or in fact export the cost can double but then you get to a point economically where you can send your own truck to collect or deliver. Goods to and from the Far East can double, triple quadruple and what’s your alternative. You have no choice but to pay or don’t trade.

Yes we all including Germany import from the Far East but the U.K. imports far more of everything.

Markets closer to home are and will always be more costs effective despite the nonsense being thrown out by this government about great new opportunities on the other side of the world.

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

" Markets closer to home are and will always be more costs effective despite the nonsense being thrown out by this government about great new opportunities on the other side of the world. "

True when comparing costs (although not always, depending on sector and product)

I’m quite surprised by your view that encouraging business to expand in to overseas markets (on the other side of the world) is nonsense.

By *ap d agde coupleCouple  over a year ago

Herne Bay

The Government will do everything it can to stop interest rates going up , £2.4 Trillion National debt imagine how much extra that will cost to service , watch the currency go down the toilet 1st

» Add a new message to this topic