FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Politics V Science

Politics V Science

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *oo hot OP   Couple  over a year ago

North West

Adhering to July 19th as being the absolute final day of having any kind of meaningful Covid prevention measures in place seems to be a political decision that does not have much support from science.

The Govt said that they would be lead by data and not dares and here we are with a larger infection rate than the whole of the EU and a faster rising infection AND hospitalisation rate than the first time that the “final” day was extended last time, at the end of June.

Notwithstanding the risks of an epidemic of long Covid amongst the currently young and unvaccinated, surely there has to be a concern that even now, with the restrictions we have and the virus surging through unvaccinated, partially vaccinated and fully vaccinated people, the Government are just turning the country into one giant virus mutation and variant factory.

It is absolutely possible that by allowing such proliferation of the virus through all levels of society that we will create a world-beating variant that will be resistant to current vaccinations.

Why are they doing this?

Surely a bit more care and caution now to get this Delta virus back in its box and then a slow and gradual easing of restriction thereafter should be the way to go?

I actually think that this date of July 19th) if they stick to it, will go down in history as an abominable date in British history. The date that the U.K. decided to fuck it’s own population, and the world.

I would very much like to be wrong - but I am looking at the science and the data.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

I get we have to open up but I'm surprised they are relaxing the rules on masks etc

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

I think we have to learn to live with it now most people have the vaccine

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Maybe the data says that whilst the numbers are drastically up, the delta variant isn't to be feared by vaccinated people.

These 4 weeks have allowed them to collect more data in regards to this variant. That's why we have been delayed. Big numbers don't necessarily mean it's a huge threat to serious illness or life.

liverpool

Lots of medical experts saying making masks down to personal choice is a bad move.

"Lots of medical experts saying making masks down to personal choice is a bad move."

I'm sure there is. I think masks may still be advised in confined spaces but that's just my thoughts

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"Lots of medical experts saying making masks down to personal choice is a bad move.

I'm sure there is. I think masks may still be advised in confined spaces but that's just my thoughts"

What ever the advice you can be sure 1/2 the population will say its wrong.

"Lots of medical experts saying making masks down to personal choice is a bad move.

I'm sure there is. I think masks may still be advised in confined spaces but that's just my thoughtsWhat ever the advice you can be sure 1/2 the population will say its wrong. "

And you can be sure plenty won't take any notice of it anyway

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

That definitely came across in the press conference….

I think it was very pointed that valance said “minister’s made the decision, not the scientists!”

it feel like the scientists are definitely backing away…..

The masks question is going to be the big fight… are businesses allowed to say they want people to still wear masks? What happens is individuals don’t want to?

It’s a big old fudge…..

thornaby

It’s a hard one you have to take into account the mental health issues aswell they been on back burner since the start I’m ok with what I heard tbh

North West

"Maybe the data says that whilst the numbers are drastically up, the delta variant isn't to be feared by vaccinated people.

These 4 weeks have allowed them to collect more data in regards to this variant. That's why we have been delayed. Big numbers don't necessarily mean it's a huge threat to serious illness or life."

That’s not the point. They expect upwards of 50,000 infections per day by July 19th and it is inevitable that the virus will mutate as it passes by and through partially and fully vaccinated people.

The three previous big variants came from fast spreading infections in Kent, South Africa and India. Now though we have for the first time got fast spreading infection where the virus is also nibbling at vaccinated people as well.

We are literally a living in a variant factory.

"Maybe the data says that whilst the numbers are drastically up, the delta variant isn't to be feared by vaccinated people.

These 4 weeks have allowed them to collect more data in regards to this variant. That's why we have been delayed. Big numbers don't necessarily mean it's a huge threat to serious illness or life.

That’s not the point. They expect upwards of 50,000 infections per day by July 19th and it is inevitable that the virus will mutate as it passes by and through partially and fully vaccinated people.

The three previous big variants came from fast spreading infections in Kent, South Africa and India. Now though we have for the first time got fast spreading infection where the virus is also nibbling at vaccinated people as well.

We are literally a living in a variant factory."

That is exactly the point as said on the announcement.

There was 9 new deaths announced today and Boris said the deaths have largely been from unvaccinated people.

We are all aware that viruses mutate, there is nothing we can do about that except vaccinate.

thornaby

There was 9 new deaths announced today and Boris said the deaths have largely been from unvaccinated people.

We are all aware that viruses mutate, there is nothing we can do about that except vaccinate."

exactly we have to learn to live with it it’s never going away will mutate all the time as do all covids what’s the alternative live in a bubble forever

By *atEvolutionCouple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

Mummy and Daddy are going to leave the room for a while and see if all the children can make sensible decisions.

But Nanny will be on call if you need her.

near ipswich

"Mummy and Daddy are going to leave the room for a while and see if all the children can make sensible decisions.

But Nanny will be on call if you need her."

There were people making comparisons to N Korea and Russia the other week when we didn't open up. You are never going to please everyone but it does surprise me that people want more rules from government than less rules.

North West

We are all aware that viruses mutate, there is nothing we can do about that except vaccinate."

9 new deaths today has got absolutely nothing to do with a virus spreading uncontrolled through unvaccinated, partially and fully vaccinated people.

The 9 deaths are happening now.

The mutations and variants are being created

More hospitalisations (and deaths) from a newer and more resistant variant (mutation) are more likely, than unlikely because of this course of action.

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

We are all aware that viruses mutate, there is nothing we can do about that except vaccinate.exactly we have to learn to live with it it’s never going away will mutate all the time as do all covids what’s the alternative live in a bubble forever "

Wearing a mask in an enclosed space until full vaccination is hardly an imposition.

If it saves one life, why not for a few more months?

Without it being a rule, there is no way to even politely request it.

Rules have been abused at the height of deaths. Convenience trumps resposibility.

We are all aware that viruses mutate, there is nothing we can do about that except vaccinate.

9 new deaths today has got absolutely nothing to do with a virus spreading uncontrolled through unvaccinated, partially and fully vaccinated people.

More hospitalisations (and deaths) from a newer and more resistant variant (mutation) are more likely, than unlikely because of this course of action.

"

I think you're struggling to understand that that we will never get rid of this virus.

I have already said that we all know viruses mutate. We have to live with it.

In my opinion and clearly the government's, we are now at a level with the vaccine that it's the time to allow us to get on with life.

Having seen people's livelihoods absolutely decimated by this I am glad those people (including my wife) can possibly try and salvage whatever is left of their businesses.

Youre welcome to hide behind the sofa until you feel it's safe to come up, not sure that'll ever be the case though

[Removed by poster at 05/07/21 21:22:45]

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

I think you're struggling to understand that that we will never get rid of this virus.

In my opinion and clearly the government's, we are now at a level with the vaccine that it's the time to allow us to get on with life.

Having seen people's livelihoods absolutely decimated by this I am glad those people (including my wife) can possibly try and salvage whatever is left of their businesses.

Youre welcome to hide behind the sofa until you feel it's safe to come up, not sure that'll ever be the case though "

This

liverpool

I'm sure there is. I think masks may still be advised in confined spaces but that's just my thoughtsWhat ever the advice you can be sure 1/2 the population will say its wrong.

And you can be sure plenty won't take any notice of it anyway "

What..like the ex health secretary?

liverpool

Just a little recap

The prime minister of this country was specifically told not too shake hands with covid patients.

Not only did he ignore this advice,the clueless oaf boasted about it on tv.

Unsurprisingly he later contracted it.

2 of the highest members of the gmnt broke covid rules, one so he could bang his secretary.

And the resident tories are giving advice to people on acting responsibilly

Priceless

North West

Youre welcome to hide behind the sofa until you feel it's safe to come up, not sure that'll ever be the case though "

Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups.

I think it is you that is struggling to understand that the more cases you have, the greater the likelihood of more uncontrollable variants evolving.

Gifting the world a vaccine resistant virus variant because people in the U.K. decided that it was time to just live with it is not something that I would want to be proud of.

Youre welcome to hide behind the sofa until you feel it's safe to come up, not sure that'll ever be the case though

I think it is you that is struggling to understand that the more cases you have, the greater the likelihood of more uncontrollable variants evolving.

Gifting the world a vaccine resistant virus variant because people in the U.K. decided that it was time to just live with it is not something that I would want to be proud of.

"

Can't stay in forever now can you. Take the precautions for yourself that you seem necessary.

liverpool

I think its nailed on we are heading for another lockdown in the winter

Quite how well that goes down is anyones guess.

liverpool

Can't stay in forever now can you. Take the precautions for yourself that you seem necessary.

"

Slightly missing the point

Slightly missing the point "

What point ? Are we thriving unless you can show me a different fact. Been to plenty of large gatherings no outbreaks. Delta is here too. All for if you want to stay in lockdown if you wish. Some people say otherwise as you can plainly see. Let them decide.

liverpool

What point ? Are we thriving unless you can show me a different fact. Been to plenty of large gatherings no outbreaks. Delta is here too. All for if you want to stay in lockdown if you wish. Some people say otherwise as you can plainly see. Let them decide."

The mask thing is incredibly reckless.

The gmnt are,in theory, supposed to be there to protect us,but as cases are rising they are saying do what the fuck you want.

What point ? Are we thriving unless you can show me a different fact. Been to plenty of large gatherings no outbreaks. Delta is here too. All for if you want to stay in lockdown if you wish. Some people say otherwise as you can plainly see. Let them decide.

The gmnt are,in theory, supposed to be there to protect us,but as cases are rising they are saying do what the fuck you want."

Is it working here ? I see no one wearing masks. Isn't it your personal choice to wear one ? I giving you the petri dish from here yet your argument about masks is kind of moot when I living this. Take it as you will it's not disinformation I have documentation in pics since May. Is it your government oppression or is it science.

liverpool

The gmnt are,in theory, supposed to be there to protect us,but as cases are rising they are saying do what the fuck you want.

Is it working here ? I see no one wearing masks. Isn't it your personal choice to wear one ? I giving you the petri dish from here yet your argument about masks is kind of moot when I living this. Take it as you will it's not disinformation I have documentation in pics since May. Is it your government oppression or is it science."

Plenty of people have been wearing masks.

Plenty of scientists have said it's a reckless idea

What scientists have said wearing a mask makes the situation worse?

near ipswich

"

What do you base your theory on that the uk will produce a new vaccine resistant variant on? plenty of countries around the world have a much greater number of cases with less vaccinated people and we are not seeing these vaccine resistant variants from them.

"Adhering to July 19th as being the absolute final day of having any kind of meaningful Covid prevention measures in place seems to be a political decision that does not have much support from science.

The Govt said that they would be lead by data and not dares and here we are with a larger infection rate than the whole of the EU and a faster rising infection AND hospitalisation rate than the first time that the “final” day was extended last time, at the end of June.

Notwithstanding the risks of an epidemic of long Covid amongst the currently young and unvaccinated, surely there has to be a concern that even now, with the restrictions we have and the virus surging through unvaccinated, partially vaccinated and fully vaccinated people, the Government are just turning the country into one giant virus mutation and variant factory.

It is absolutely possible that by allowing such proliferation of the virus through all levels of society that we will create a world-beating variant that will be resistant to current vaccinations.

Why are they doing this?

Surely a bit more care and caution now to get this Delta virus back in its box and then a slow and gradual easing of restriction thereafter should be the way to go?

I actually think that this date of July 19th) if they stick to it, will go down in history as an abominable date in British history. The date that the U.K. decided to fuck it’s own population, and the world.

I would very much like to be wrong - but I am looking at the science and the data."

Any governments job has NEVER and will never be to follow medical advice. Medical advice does not take into account the economy etc etc.

The government can not only focus on the economy.

Think of it as a sea-saw with medical advice on one side and economy on the other and you will get a dumbed down version of the decisions the government have to make. They have to balance everything to achieve the best aggregate outcome.

They relax restrictions "too soon" and the medical profession say its bad. Oh, that and all the qualified pathologists on facebook and twitter

They don't relax them fast enough and the economy suffers and business's and the populus are up in arms.

There is no science vs politics like the op claims in the title.

No matter what decision is made, someone is ready and waiting to cry about it. Hope this helps clear up your question op.

Oh, and looking at a graph on the news or a time-series chart on a website is not "looking at the data", the data on the virus is almost infinite in its breadth and depth and takes statisticians to compile it and make it readable and understandable for politicians and news networks. What we see is the briefest snapshot one could hope to see

near ipswich

The gmnt are,in theory, supposed to be there to protect us,but as cases are rising they are saying do what the fuck you want."

So you are not in favour of pubs going back to normal or nightclubs reopening then?

We are literally a living in a variant factory."

Go build a bunker in your garden then and live in that if you are so worried?

Oh, and despite all the keyboard warriers claiming herd-immunity is a stupid idea and bad idea etc, its not. Its how we deal with all viruses. The common cold which is a virus is an annoyance to us, but could and would kill the inhabitants of the andaman islands as they have not been exposed to it. We have and it barely effects us. We will live with it just like we live with influenza et al.

The Government is not your Daddy. I know you want it to be but it isnt and never should be. The government is there to protect you from other nation states not to wipe your arse.

Yeah free will for people is such a recckless idea

I just find it amusing. Some of the people on here think they are champions of the people. Yet when the cards are on the table. It's all about them and how the can benefit.Hate me like me idc it's the truth. Guess because I do not have a molecular degree in microbiology my views of what is going on here do not count.

"

Given the likehood of new variants evolving? I won't check this thread again as my eye's are bleeding reading some of this stuff.

You know viruses constantly evolve and there are literally tens of thousands, if not more variants of it already? You do know that coronavirus has been around for decades and there was a vaccine for it? Thats why we had a vaccine so quickly, because they already had the "groundwork" so to speak.

The flu vaccine people get each winter is not the same as the year before. Its a modified one to deal with the prominent influenza variants circulating that flu season.

A bit of reading before making statements wouldn't go a-miss...

West London

"Oh, and despite all the keyboard warriers claiming herd-immunity is a stupid idea and bad idea etc, its not. Its how we deal with all viruses. The common cold which is a virus is an annoyance to us, but could and would kill the inhabitants of the andaman islands as they have not been exposed to it. We have and it barely effects us. We will live with it just like we live with influenza et al."

No. We do not deal with all viruses with herd immunity.

Flu

Typhoid

Polio

Yellow fever

Cholera

Tuberculosis

Measels

Mumps

Rubella

Shall I continue?

Sweden tried out herd immunity. 14,600 deaths in a country with a very lower population density. A death rate several times higher than its neighbours.

Nobody has said stay locked down, have they?

West London

"I just find it amusing. Some of the people on here think they are champions of the people. Yet when the cards are on the table. It's all about them and how the can benefit.Hate me like me idc it's the truth. Guess because I do not have a molecular degree in microbiology my views of what is going on here do not count."

Wearing a mask is about reducing spread to other people.

That's hardly a selfish act. Perhaps you can explain how it is?

There have been lots of well documented proposition of Covid from maskless events in the US and elsewhere. Carried up by people like doctors and scientists.

605,000 people have does in your country. That's not imaginary. That's a lot of bereaved families.

Nobody here is saying that we should stay locked down. They are saying have some courtesy and respect for others until the vaccine is out to everyone who wants it. Would you blow smoke in a non smokers face to prove your "freedom" to do so?

"Oh, and despite all the keyboard warriers claiming herd-immunity is a stupid idea and bad idea etc, its not. Its how we deal with all viruses. The common cold which is a virus is an annoyance to us, but could and would kill the inhabitants of the andaman islands as they have not been exposed to it. We have and it barely effects us. We will live with it just like we live with influenza et al.

Flu

Typhoid

Polio

Yellow fever

Cholera

Tuberculosis

Measels

Mumps

Rubella

Shall I continue?

Sweden tried out herd immunity. 14,600 deaths in a country with a very lower population density. A death rate several times higher than its neighbours.

Nobody has said stay locked down, have they?"

You clearly have no idea what herd immunity is. You don't "try it out". Its a natural process. It is either achieved naturally by most of the population getting and then recovering from it, creating anti-bodies or unnaturally, by vaccines. Smallpox is an example.

Also, it only works with contagious diseases. Tetnus is infectionous but not contagious.

I suggest you read before making factually incorrect statements.

near ipswich

"Oh, and despite all the keyboard warriers claiming herd-immunity is a stupid idea and bad idea etc, its not. Its how we deal with all viruses. The common cold which is a virus is an annoyance to us, but could and would kill the inhabitants of the andaman islands as they have not been exposed to it. We have and it barely effects us. We will live with it just like we live with influenza et al.

Flu

Typhoid

Polio

Yellow fever

Cholera

Tuberculosis

Measels

Mumps

Rubella

Shall I continue?

You clearly have no idea what herd immunity is. You don't "try it out". Its a natural process. It is either achieved naturally by most of the population getting and then recovering from it, creating anti-bodies or unnaturally, by vaccines. Smallpox is an example.

Also, it only works with contagious diseases. Tetnus is infectionous but not contagious.

I suggest you read before making factually incorrect statements."

Exactly vaccination creates herd immunity.

West London

What do you base your theory on that the uk will produce a new vaccine resistant variant on? plenty of countries around the world have a much greater number of cases with less vaccinated people and we are not seeing these vaccine resistant variants from them. "

How's Chile doing?

Different vaccine to be fair, but something to ponder in conjunction with the Lambda variant.

Why give an opportunity to create a reservoir of virus here? Why leave the job undone after all the effort? Just impatience.

North West

Given the likehood of new variants evolving? I won't check this thread again as my eye's are bleeding reading some of this stuff.

You know viruses constantly evolve and there are literally tens of thousands, if not more variants of it already? You do know that coronavirus has been around for decades and there was a vaccine for it? Thats why we had a vaccine so quickly, because they already had the "groundwork" so to speak.

The flu vaccine people get each winter is not the same as the year before. Its a modified one to deal with the prominent influenza variants circulating that flu season.

A bit of reading before making statements wouldn't go a-miss..."

No shit Sherlock…

Where is the evolved vaccine that will protect the world from any new variant/mutation that has evolved from an ever increasing infection rate that is spreading through unvaccinated, partially vaccinated and fully vaccinated people?

It’s not like the flu.

It is common sense to reduce the infection rate and get a lid on it before giving the green light to engage in activities that will cause more infections.

Our heavily vaccinated population is the very reason that the Govt should be keeping a lid on the infection rate so as to stop the virus getting a handle on overcoming the vaccine antibodies.

Agreed, it may not be a little reading to understand this but a bit more than reading a newspaper lol

"I just find it amusing. Some of the people on here think they are champions of the people. Yet when the cards are on the table. It's all about them and how the can benefit.Hate me like me idc it's the truth. Guess because I do not have a molecular degree in microbiology my views of what is going on here do not count.

There have been lots of well documented proposition of Covid from maskless events in the US and elsewhere. Carried up by people like doctors and scientists.

605,000 people have does in your country. That's not imaginary. That's a lot of bereaved families.

Nobody here is saying that we should stay locked down. They are saying have some courtesy and respect for others until the vaccine is out to everyone who wants it. Would you blow smoke in a non smokers face to prove your "freedom" to do so?"

Asking again is the evidence there to prove otherwise. I stated since May we did not have a mask mandate. According to your assumptions it should be 10 times worse. Yet it's not. No one is wearing masks. I haven't seen any since May. Luck ? Been in contact with thousands. No issues.

North West

"Exactly vaccination creates herd immunity. "

There will never be herd immunity from coronavirus. The virus will constantly evolve.

The best we can all hope for is that infection levels remain low so that the virus is not able to evolve into vaccine beating mutations and strains.

The argument that vaccines work is a fallacy in as much as that we all as a population of this planet have “herd immunity” to literally billions of bacterial and viral infections that we have acquired through thousands of years of evolutionary genetics.

Then something new comes along and overwhelms our own immune systems and it will forever overcome it until it is suppressed forever of evolving. The flu similarly evolves, but is nothing like as potentially debilitating - hence the need to do everything to stop Covid from evolving into vaccine beating variants.

West London

Flu

Typhoid

Polio

Yellow fever

Cholera

Tuberculosis

Measels

Mumps

Rubella

Shall I continue?

I suggest you read before making factually incorrect statements."

Nobody knows what the threshold of immunity is, if there is a threshold.

By definition, if you allow contagion to spread when it can be reduced then you are "trying it out".

Heard of Manaus?

So, you're implying that we should stop vaccinating completely because all that we are doing with all these other diseases is artificially holding back natural immunity?

So tuberculosis, measles, rubella, wholping cough and polio should let rip as they are contagious?

Thanks for the lecture and condescension, but to be clear, I am advocating competing the roll out of an effective vaccine with the retention of some limited restrictions which will also increase confidence in those that are nervous.

near ipswich

Flu

Typhoid

Polio

Yellow fever

Cholera

Tuberculosis

Measels

Mumps

Rubella

Shall I continue?

By definition, if you allow contagion to spread when it can be reduced then you are "trying it out".

Heard of Manaus?

So, you're implying that we should stop vaccinating completely because all that we are doing with all these other diseases is artificially holding back natural immunity?

So tuberculosis, measles, rubella, wholping cough and polio should let rip as they are contagious?

Thanks for the lecture and condescension, but to be clear, I am advocating competing the roll out of an effective vaccine with the retention of some limited restrictions which will also increase confidence in those that are nervous."

Those that are nervous can choose not to go clubbing ,to the pub, theatre etc but there are people losing their livelihoods not to mention their mental health who need life to get back to normal asap.

As for vaccines holding back natural immunity i suggest you look at how vaccines work.

West London

"I just find it amusing. Some of the people on here think they are champions of the people. Yet when the cards are on the table. It's all about them and how the can benefit.Hate me like me idc it's the truth. Guess because I do not have a molecular degree in microbiology my views of what is going on here do not count.

Nobody here is saying that we should stay locked down. They are saying have some courtesy and respect for others until the vaccine is out to everyone who wants it. Would you blow smoke in a non smokers face to prove your "freedom" to do so?

Asking again is the evidence there to prove otherwise. I stated since May we did not have a mask mandate. According to your assumptions it should be 10 times worse. Yet it's not. No one is wearing masks. I haven't seen any since May. Luck ? Been in contact with thousands. No issues."

Will this do?

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-07-08-oxford-covid-19-study-face-masks-and-coverings-work-act-now

This one?

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01394-0

Perhaps this one?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/04/210414154949.htm

I don't know where you live and I don't know your infection and hospitalisation rates?

As you are demanding evidence, perhaps you could rustle some up?

Flu

Typhoid

Polio

Yellow fever

Cholera

Tuberculosis

Measels

Mumps

Rubella

Shall I continue?

Heard of Manaus?

Thanks for the lecture and condescension, but to be clear, I am advocating competing the roll out of an effective vaccine with the retention of some limited restrictions which will also increase confidence in those that are nervous."

Not only you don't read but it appears you can't read either. Re-read what I said, and you will realise what you said was silly. It occurs naturally, i.e getting the disease and recovering, or unnaturally through vaccinations.

Reading, or a basic comprehension for that matter is a wonderful thing

West London

Flu

Typhoid

Polio

Yellow fever

Cholera

Tuberculosis

Measels

Mumps

Rubella

Shall I continue?

Heard of Manaus?

Thanks for the lecture and condescension, but to be clear, I am advocating competing the roll out of an effective vaccine with the retention of some limited restrictions which will also increase confidence in those that are nervous.Those that are nervous can choose not to go clubbing ,to the pub, theatre etc but there are people losing their livelihoods not to mention their mental health who need life to get back to normal asap.

As for vaccines holding back natural immunity i suggest you look at how vaccines work. "

Anyone who's vaccinated can go and do whatever they like. Everyone can once all those who want a vaccine are dosed up.

Why would you ha e a problem with that?

You think that an extra month saved now for vaccination will be worth it if there is a pre enable surge and lockdown later in the year?

Wearing a mask for a bit longer is going to cause mental health issues? Get a grip. People are out everywhere.

I didn't say that vaccines did hold back natural immunity. That would be clear if you read what I was replying to.

Thank you also for your condescension. Very constructive.

Asking again is the evidence there to prove otherwise. I stated since May we did not have a mask mandate. According to your assumptions it should be 10 times worse. Yet it's not. No one is wearing masks. I haven't seen any since May. Luck ? Been in contact with thousands. No issues.

Will this do?

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-07-08-oxford-covid-19-study-face-masks-and-coverings-work-act-now

This one?

Perhaps this one?

I don't know where you live and I don't know your infection and hospitalisation rates?

As you are demanding evidence, perhaps you could rustle some up?"

You can look up our rates your fingers not broke. Google is fantastic. We have been in decline for months.

West London

Flu

Typhoid

Polio

Yellow fever

Cholera

Tuberculosis

Measels

Mumps

Rubella

Shall I continue?

Heard of Manaus?

Thanks for the lecture and condescension, but to be clear, I am advocating competing the roll out of an effective vaccine with the retention of some limited restrictions which will also increase confidence in those that are nervous.

Not only you don't read but it appears you can't read either. Re-read what I said, and you will realise what you said was silly. It occurs naturally, i.e getting the disease and recovering, or unnaturally through vaccinations.

Reading, or a basic comprehension for that matter is a wonderful thing "

You really are quite the charmer

I clearly don't understand what you wrote. That could be my fault for just being tok dumb, or it could be yours for explaining it poorly.

Rather than repeating the same words loudly, like a rude tourist, why don't you try using some other words in a different order to make your point?

Well done skipping over the rest of what I wrote though and going straight to a personal insult

Will this do?

This one?

Perhaps this one?

You can look up our rates your fingers not broke. Google is fantastic. We have been in decline for months. "

https://www.fox29.com/news/amish-community-in-lancaster-county-reaches-herd-immunity-from-covid-19-medical-center-says

Will this do?

This one?

Perhaps this one?

You can look up our rates your fingers not broke. Google is fantastic. We have been in decline for months.

https://www.fox29.com/news/amish-community-in-lancaster-county-reaches-herd-immunity-from-covid-19-medical-center-says"

No science.

Will this do?

This one?

Perhaps this one?

https://www.fox29.com/news/amish-community-in-lancaster-county-reaches-herd-immunity-from-covid-19-medical-center-says

No science. "

Weird that people that do not believe in science reaches immunity. Yet here we are arguing over the science. Contradictory.

West London

Will this do?

This one?

Perhaps this one?

You can look up our rates your fingers not broke. Google is fantastic. We have been in decline for months. "

You stated a fact, but don't have it to hand?

Assuming Bear Creek is in Texas, which is an assumption, and we look at Texas, infection rates have been falling, as have test rates.

Infectioin rates are now starting to tick up. Hospitalisations are flat. As they are trailing indicators, hopefully the balance with vaccination rates rising won't tip it the wrong way.

Google was not your friend.

Again, nice incivility.

Will this do?

This one?

Perhaps this one?

Assuming Bear Creek is in Texas, which is an assumption, and we look at Texas, infection rates have been falling, as have test rates.

Infectioin rates are now starting to tick up. Hospitalisations are flat. As they are trailing indicators, hopefully the balance with vaccination rates rising won't tip it the wrong way.

Again, nice incivility."

Wierd I just posted your facts. Scroll up unless your degree is better then Penn State.

Will this do?

This one?

Perhaps this one?

Again, nice incivility.

Wierd I just posted your facts. Scroll up unless your degree is better then Penn State."

so who is right the antivaxxers or the vaccinated. Science goes both ways. Silly Americans.

West London

Will this do?

This one?

Perhaps this one?

No science.

Weird that people that do not believe in science reaches immunity. Yet here we are arguing over the science. Contradictory."

Did you read the article? They don't actually know that herd immunity has been reached or that 90% of the population have antibodies. They said that 90% of households had a case of Covid. Even if they choose not to get vaccinated it doesn't mean that they do not isolate infectious patients and take precautions when illness does hit.

A little loose reporting perhaps to get a headline?

Were you also aware that the excess death rate has been incredibly high in the Amish community over the entire course of the pandemic?

Political endgames. Not science. Let's see how far they can push the UK public. Enjoy the experiment.

Will this do?

This one?

Perhaps this one?

No science.

Weird that people that do not believe in science reaches immunity. Yet here we are arguing over the science. Contradictory.

Did you read the article? They don't actually know that herd immunity has been reached or that 90% of the population have antibodies. They said that 90% of households had a case of Covid. Even if they choose not to get vaccinated it doesn't mean that they do not isolate infectious patients and take precautions when illness does hit.

Were you also aware that the excess death rate has been incredibly high in the Amish community over the entire course of the pandemic?"

Did the reach immunity ? Here we sacrifice clearly. If the Amish do it how do you think the average American does. 90% is a high mark compared to the 70 that science here is is saying.20 % is a big number collectively.

West London

Will this do?

This one?

Perhaps this one?

Again, nice incivility.

Wierd I just posted your facts. Scroll up unless your degree is better then Penn State. so who is right the antivaxxers or the vaccinated. Science goes both ways. Silly Americans."

There may well be some silly Americans, but less likely the virologist on the topic of viruses.

My degree is better than Penn State for my job, but as I stated, the data is not from Penn State. There is not actually any presented, only supposition.

If you want to believe that Corona virus is not serious and that mask wearing does not keep other people safe then please do. That is perfectly OK. However, please don't say that the data supports your position. It does not.

West London

"Political endgames. Not science. Let's see how far they can push the UK public. Enjoy the experiment. "

The experiment is in removing all restrictions before full vaccination coverage.

The politics is driving early change, not the science. You do get that, right?

Will this do?

This one?

Perhaps this one?

Again, nice incivility.

Wierd I just posted your facts. Scroll up unless your degree is better then Penn State. so who is right the antivaxxers or the vaccinated. Science goes both ways. Silly Americans.

There may well be some silly Americans, but less likely the virologist on the topic of viruses.

My degree is better than Penn State for my job, but as I stated, the data is not from Penn State. There is not actually any presented, only supposition.

If you want to believe that Corona virus is not serious and that mask wearing does not keep other people safe then please do. That is perfectly OK. However, please don't say that the data supports your position. It does not."

If your degree is working we should be 10 times higher infection rates. It is scientific evidence that mask help according to you. Yet no mask no infection rate and the Amish has a better immunity rate than the rest of the country. We sitting at 67 %.

West London

Will this do?

This one?

Perhaps this one?

No science.

Were you also aware that the excess death rate has been incredibly high in the Amish community over the entire course of the pandemic?

Did the reach immunity ? Here we sacrifice clearly. If the Amish do it how do you think the average American does. 90% is a high mark compared to the 70 that science here is is saying.20 % is a big number collectively."

There is nothing in the article that actually shows that they have.

90% of households had a case. That doesn't mean that 90% were infected. They can behave rationally.

Read about Manaus.

West London

Will this do?

This one?

Perhaps this one?

Again, nice incivility.

Wierd I just posted your facts. Scroll up unless your degree is better then Penn State. so who is right the antivaxxers or the vaccinated. Science goes both ways. Silly Americans.

If you want to believe that Corona virus is not serious and that mask wearing does not keep other people safe then please do. That is perfectly OK. However, please don't say that the data supports your position. It does not.

If your degree is working we should be 10 times higher infection rates. It is scientific evidence that mask help according to you. Yet no mask no infection rate and the Amish has a better immunity rate than the rest of the country. We sitting at 67 %."

I genuinely have no idea where or what your numbers come from or mean.

10 times higher infection rate based on what?

Mask wearing does not reduce infection according to me. It reduces infections according to the results of what has happened. You didn't read the arties because you didn't want to. That's fine, but why claim that it's wrong based on your individual observations?

There are a higher proportion of Amish dead than the rest of the population. That's how tho vs tend to work out when you don't take care of each other,which is ironic for a community that strives to do that very thing in so many other ways.

Who's immunity rate is at 67%? What does that even mean and based on what?

Will this do?

This one?

Perhaps this one?

No science.

Did the reach immunity ? Here we sacrifice clearly. If the Amish do it how do you think the average American does. 90% is a high mark compared to the 70 that science here is is saying.20 % is a big number collectively.

90% of households had a case. That doesn't mean that 90% were infected. They can behave rationally.

Read about Manaus."

I don not need to read about Manus. I living this. You can't show me that rates are increasing without masks. They have been in decline. With the Amish community. So how am I to take your assumption that you are right and I am wrong. When everyday your evidence is proving otherwise ? See data does not mean shite. You can spew data all they want. I am on the ground family friends coworkers. Thousands. No issues. In the end run we can argue this till we blue in the face. I just trying to give my personal perspective on different outcomes. Data be damned it's not always correct.

West London

Will this do?

This one?

Perhaps this one?

No science.

Read about Manaus.

I don not need to read about Manus. I living this. You can't show me that rates are increasing without masks. They have been in decline. With the Amish community. So how am I to take your assumption that you are right and I am wrong. When everyday your evidence is proving otherwise ? See data does not mean shite. You can spew data all they want. I am on the ground family friends coworkers. Thousands. No issues. In the end run we can argue this till we blue in the face. I just trying to give my personal perspective on different outcomes. Data be damned it's not always correct."

I have shown you the data. If you think that you can see what is happening to a population from one place, then fine.

You do not know "thousands" of people personally or what's happening to them. It's not a credible thing to say, is it?

You have given your "personal" perspective of unsubstantiated data from thousands of miles away in another state.

What's happening in Bear Creek, Texas or one, small, Amish village in Pensylvania does not necessarily represent what is or can happen anywhere else.

Manaus is a city of 2.2 million.

If you don't want to know because the information does not fit what you want to believe that's fine. It's a pretty well known phenomenon that people will ignore the bulk of the information and seek out outliers to "prove" their point.

That's why we are deep in a climate change crisis.

Next will be the reasoning that goes with this. Why perpetrate a hoax on this global scale? Financial benefit or "power-crazed" scientists and doctors?

Don't where a mask if that makes you happy. Sneeze over strangers and let others cough at you. It's a well not path to healthy living.

By *andy 1Couple  over a year ago

northeast

"Mummy and Daddy are going to leave the room for a while and see if all the children can make sensible decisions.

But Nanny will be on call if you need her."

liverpool

"Adhering to July 19th as being the absolute final day of having any kind of meaningful Covid prevention measures in place seems to be a political decision that does not have much support from science.

Why are they doing this?

I would very much like to be wrong - but I am looking at the science and the data.

Any governments job has NEVER and will never be to follow medical advice. Medical advice does not take into account the economy etc etc.

The government can not only focus on the economy.

Think of it as a sea-saw with medical advice on one side and economy on the other and you will get a dumbed down version of the decisions the government have to make. They have to balance everything to achieve the best aggregate outcome.

They relax restrictions "too soon" and the medical profession say its bad. Oh, that and all the qualified pathologists on facebook and twitter

They don't relax them fast enough and the economy suffers and business's and the populus are up in arms.

There is no science vs politics like the op claims in the title.

No matter what decision is made, someone is ready and waiting to cry about it. Hope this helps clear up your question op.

Oh, and looking at a graph on the news or a time-series chart on a website is not "looking at the data", the data on the virus is almost infinite in its breadth and depth and takes statisticians to compile it and make it readable and understandable for politicians and news networks. What we see is the briefest snapshot one could hope to see "

So the numerous times they said they were following the science.. they were lying?

Well I'm shocked

liverpool

The Government is not your Daddy. I know you want it to be but it isnt and never should be. The government is there to protect you from other nation states not to wipe your arse.

Yeah free will for people is such a recckless idea"

I.must have dreamt the NHS

liverpool

Asking again is the evidence there to prove otherwise. I stated since May we did not have a mask mandate. According to your assumptions it should be 10 times worse. Yet it's not. No one is wearing masks. I haven't seen any since May. Luck ? Been in contact with thousands. No issues."

I think the fact that I asked you twice how many Americans had died from covid and you chose not to answer was rather telling, don't you?

liverpool

Flu

Typhoid

Polio

Yellow fever

Cholera

Tuberculosis

Measels

Mumps

Rubella

Shall I continue?

Heard of Manaus?

I clearly don't understand what you wrote. That could be my fault for just being tok dumb, or it could be yours for explaining it poorly.

Rather than repeating the same words loudly, like a rude tourist, why don't you try using some other words in a different order to make your point?

Well done skipping over the rest of what I wrote though and going straight to a personal insult "

Insultng people on the forum seems to be s common theme amongst certain groups on here I'm afraid.

By *atEvolutionCouple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

Pot Kettle and Black. lmao

Flu

Typhoid

Polio

Yellow fever

Cholera

Tuberculosis

Measels

Mumps

Rubella

Shall I continue?

Heard of Manaus?

Well done skipping over the rest of what I wrote though and going straight to a personal insult

Insultng people on the forum seems to be s common theme amongst certain groups on here I'm afraid."

What group I am the only american posting

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Political endgames. Not science. Let's see how far they can push the UK public. Enjoy the experiment. "

One interesting thing though… in the us… the delta variant only accounts for 25% of current cases…

In the uk… it’s now 95% of cases….

When it picks up in the states… for example… I think having 105,000 people at a college football stadium in the middle of Pennsylvania watch the covid rate shoot through the roof…..

"Political endgames. Not science. Let's see how far they can push the UK public. Enjoy the experiment.

One interesting thing though… in the us… the delta variant only accounts for 25% of current cases…

When it picks up in the states… for example… I think having 105,000 people at a college football stadium in the middle of Pennsylvania watch the covid rate shoot through the roof….."

And we still will be open

"Political endgames. Not science. Let's see how far they can push the UK public. Enjoy the experiment.

When it picks up in the states… for example… I think having 105,000 people at a college football stadium in the middle of Pennsylvania watch the covid rate shoot through the roof…..

And we still will be open "

CDC saying no need for masks if vaccinated even with delta.

North West

CDC saying no need for masks if vaccinated even with delta."

Israel are seeing a huge spike is serious Covid cases amongst the vaccinated and our (U.K.) hospitalisation rate is 52% up on last week.

North West

And we still will be open "

Land of the free eh??

Well… unless you cross the road without permission.

Land of the free eh??

Well… unless you cross the road without permission."

Maybe that is why our death rates are high. We don't care? I do not see anyone crying over individuals rights to choose. It their right to. But what does Florida and Texas know about that.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

More people died due to guns in New York over the July 4th weekend, than died of covid!

As long as the advice is not coming from that useless fucker pro Ferguson

"More people died due to guns in New York over the July 4th weekend, than died of covid! "

Yup

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It fits the cavalier attitude that Johnson has, as well as his desire to please his more extreme right wing MPs and the majority of the media here. He doesn't do the details of things and isn't that bothered, as long as he can win key votes, get all the attention and funding desired etc, as well as have scapegoats to take any blame

By *ap d agde coupleCouple  over a year ago

Herne Bay

If U.K. does not open up fully in July then doubt we ever will for years , think these restrictions suit so many people now it’s turned the U.K. into a different country ,

liverpool

"If U.K. does not open up fully in July then doubt we ever will for years , think these restrictions suit so many people now it’s turned the U.K. into a different country , "

In what way?

liverpool

"It fits the cavalier attitude that Johnson has, as well as his desire to please his more extreme right wing MPs and the majority of the media here. He doesn't do the details of things and isn't that bothered, as long as he can win key votes, get all the attention and funding desired etc, as well as have scapegoats to take any blame "

I was reading somewhere that suggested the reason he is opening up was because of pressure from the 1922 committee who have always opposed lockdown etc

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

"It fits the cavalier attitude that Johnson has, as well as his desire to please his more extreme right wing MPs and the majority of the media here. He doesn't do the details of things and isn't that bothered, as long as he can win key votes, get all the attention and funding desired etc, as well as have scapegoats to take any blame

I was reading somewhere that suggested the reason he is opening up was because of pressure from the 1922 committee who have always opposed lockdown etc "

Well their friends on the VIP list are keen to win more PPE contracts so it’s understandable . We are always being told to plan for retirement and the Sleezeball MP’s are just preparing for after they have tired of the gravy train of Parliament.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

"More people died due to guns in New York over the July 4th weekend, than died of covid! "

Ban guns

By *ykmwyldTV/TS  over a year ago

Belpre

Most all governments messed up at the very beginning of the covid pandemic. They didn't follow the scientific pandemic quarantine proceedures that are required to stop a pandemic from spreading uncontrolled around the globe. They half assed it in the best cases trying to keep the economy stable, but it caused far more wide spread economy instability, and for far longer, than if they had done it correctly from the very beginning. It's a real tragedy we have fools in charge everywhere, but it's designed that way for a corrupt reason ! To keep the wealthy and powerful wealthy and powerful, it's just that simple !

West London

There are all manner of studies (no doubt carried out by leftie, woke, so-called experts) that link small-c Conservative views with scientific scepticism.

This has got worse as the reality of science has been in direct conflict with the Conservative side of the divide on climate change and Covid and vaccinations.

The them or us, zero sum world that we live in ensures that.

"More people died due to guns in New York over the July 4th weekend, than died of covid!

Ban guns "

You're risking it with that one if certain people read it haha

"More people died due to guns in New York over the July 4th weekend, than died of covid!

Ban guns

You're risking it with that one if certain people read it haha"

If that certain person you are thinking of is the same as I am, she was bullied off here....

Ban guns

If that certain person you are thinking of is the same as I am, she was bullied off here...."

Nope I wasn't referring to a specific person. I just meant the people who seem so desperate to hang onto their guns they can't and won't admit the damage they do.

Ban guns

If that certain person you are thinking of is the same as I am, she was bullied off here....

Nope I wasn't referring to a specific person. I just meant the people who seem so desperate to hang onto their guns they can't and won't admit the damage they do."

Would you admit the good they do?

Ban guns

Nope I wasn't referring to a specific person. I just meant the people who seem so desperate to hang onto their guns they can't and won't admit the damage they do.

Would you admit the good they do?"

Best start a whole new thread if you wanna get into that.

Ban guns

Best start a whole new thread if you wanna get into that."

Look up a CDC report on firearms being used to save lives. You might be surprised

Ban guns

Look up a CDC report on firearms being used to save lives. You might be surprised "

Looked it up. Seemed vague as hell, with a lot of guess work.

West London

Ban guns

Look up a CDC report on firearms being used to save lives. You might be surprised "

You really should look it up. It doesn't help defence of guns at all

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulhsieh/2018/04/30/that-time-the-cdc-asked-about-defensive-gun-uses/

West London

Ban guns "

liverpool

Ban guns

Guns save lives?

A slightly flawed argument

Ban guns

Look up a CDC report on firearms being used to save lives. You might be surprised

Guns save lives?

A slightly flawed argument "

Just because you dont understand it doesnt mean its flawed

If a policeman shoots somone who is in the act of stabbing somone to death saving the life of the victim. The use of a firearm has saved a life

If you shoot a bear or mountain lion that is or is about to attack you, you have saved your own life with the use of a firearm

» Add a new message to this topic