FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Empty Supermarket Shelves

Empty Supermarket Shelves

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

The "Pindemic" is apparantly to blame for empty supermarket shelves across the UK.

In EU Europe, there are no such shortages yet they also have a similar (though not so expensive) application and have Covid (a fourth wave in France).

Just luck I guess..

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *eanoCoolMan  over a year ago

wisbech

"The "Pindemic" is apparantly to blame for empty supermarket shelves across the UK.

In EU Europe, there are no such shortages yet they also have a similar (though not so expensive) application and have Covid (a fourth wave in France).

Just luck I guess..

"

Shelves are fine here mate, no issues at all, guess we are lucky too, don't believe everything you read in the press lol.

By *atEvolutionCouple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

It's PING and there are shortages in Germany - my Niece lives there. There are shortages in France I have family there.

Ain't it strange that it was all 'OMG' the Covid App doesn't work - then all silence when it did - now it's all OMG it's working too well.

Well. Not strange really I suppose.

"It's PING and there are shortages in Germany - my Niece lives there. There are shortages in France I have family there.

Ain't it strange that it was all 'OMG' the Covid App doesn't work - then all silence when it did - now it's all OMG it's working too well.

"

I live in France and no shortages where I live or in Germany (Heidelberg) where a sister lives so I guess, like a previous poster already said, the press is making it up (I also don't dispute your niece in France or Family in Germany - obviously it is the EU that is suffering (apart from localised areas) whilst the UK is having no issues apart from the press and Remainers who are miss-reporting things.

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"The "Pindemic" is apparantly to blame for empty supermarket shelves across the UK.

Just luck I guess..

"

Very noticeable yesterday.

Loads of empty shelves.

Absolutely nothing to do with Brexit though.

Nosireebob

Shop in the right shops - no shortages here . In France there are shortages or my Family is lying. Shortages in Germany or my Niece is lying - Naughty family fancy them lying just for a Fab swingers Political post. Shocked !!

By *andy 1Couple  over a year ago

northeast

shortages think they where over stocked the whoops shelves where full in sainsburys

"Shop in the right shops - no shortages here . In France there are shortages or my Family is lying. Shortages in Germany or my Niece is lying - Naughty family fancy them lying just for a Fab swingers Political post. Shocked !! "

I have not disputed what you said about your Family or niece.

I can however tell you 1st hand that where I live in France, there are no shortages.

I doubt you believe that but I was in the supermarket today (I can send you a receipt as proof with place , date and time if you like).

There were no shortages.

My sister lives in Heidelberg, Germany. No shortages.

Perhaps both these two places are an exception.

I was however shopping whilst on holiday last month in Vallon-Pont-D'Arc, Carcassonne, Lunel and Avignon. None of the supermarkets in these places had shortages either.

The press in France does not speak of any supermarket shortages or problems with a similar 'Pingdemic' but, I guess that it could be argued that the press here is lying by not reporting shortages in a similar way to the UK press lying by miss-reporting shortages in UK supermarkets when there are not any.

I am just glad to be kept right about the lying UK press and that there is no disruption in the food chain in the UK.

Also disappointed to learn that I should expect food shortages here in France as it must be luck that I arrived at the supermarkets I have visited when they were fully stocked.

Bad news for the EU..

"shortages think they where over stocked the whoops shelves where full in sainsburys "

Indeed. Tesco Asda Sainsbury's all fine here. Ocado's delivery didn't note any shortages.

Must be a Brexit - lol.

Again . . .

And Flink didn't deliver 9 items from my nieces order? Short stock, it says on her bill.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"It's PING and there are shortages in Germany - my Niece lives there. There are shortages in France I have family there.

I live in France and no shortages where I live or in Germany (Heidelberg) where a sister lives so I guess, like a previous poster already said, the press is making it up (I also don't dispute your niece in France or Family in Germany - obviously it is the EU that is suffering (apart from localised areas) whilst the UK is having no issues apart from the press and Remainers who are miss-reporting things.

"

So basically all you wanted to do was have a pop at Brexit and sarcastically blame the EU and Remainers when no one said anything of the sort.

It's amazing how quickly one can work out the purpose of a post

I do know a Starbucks that closed for a whole afternoon and evening because there was a three lorry crash on the M6 and their coffee bean delivery didn't happen!!

Imagine that, Coffee beans stuck in a 75-mile tailback. Mind you, that's the M6 normally.

Not sure how I can fit Brexit and Pings into that story, however.

So basically all you wanted to do was have a pop at Brexit and sarcastically blame the EU and Remainers when no one said anything of the sort.

It's amazing how quickly one can work out the purpose of a post "

Don't know where you got that from.

I reported what I read and was told that there are shortages in Europe.

I was only responding to that based on what I see. I cannot see supermarket shelves in the UK but you good people can.

Where did Brexit come into this?

wisbech

"

Well you now have about a dozen posts from varying places across the UK and only one poster has said they found some shortages yesterday so surely this tells you it is the press over dramatising things and there appears to be no more of a issue here than in France and Germany.

Exactly.

Thank you

wisbech

I was only responding to that based on what I see. I cannot see supermarket shelves in the UK but you good people can.

"

Really, you were the first person in this thread to use the term "remainer", but nothing to do with brexit?, you know exactly what you meant and so does anyone else who reads the post.

Really, you were the first person in this thread to use the term "remainer", but nothing to do with brexit?, you know exactly what you meant and so does anyone else who reads the post."

Yup.

Really, you were the first person in this thread to use the term "remainer", but nothing to do with brexit?, you know exactly what you meant and so does anyone else who reads the post.

Yup. "

Sorry that you obviously have a complex over Brexit.

You'll get over it..

Brexit brexit brexit brexit brexit.

It's so dull and boring it's not even a word any more.

wisbech

Yup.

Sorry that you obviously have a complex over Brexit.

You'll get over it.."

Lmao, is that what you think? I am what you term as a "remainer" as I didnt vote for brexit, but i just find these threads divisive in nature, they never lead to sensible debate, they just go round and round in circles over old ground, pointless, its done regardless of if your chosen side won or not you can't change it.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

It's amazing how quickly one can work out the purpose of a post "

I worked that out by the very first post.

No shortage around here but if the media have their way they will create panic buying again so they have something to talk about the next week.

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

Just luck I guess..

Very noticeable yesterday.

Loads of empty shelves.

Absolutely nothing to do with Brexit though.

Nosireebob

"

exactly nothing to do with brexit Lionel there’s a thing called covid or don’t you ha e that in pool

By *ebbie69Couple  over a year ago

milton keynes

No shortages at all in my area to report. I have heard of potential problems due to people self isolating and heard of shortages on the continent.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Somebody posted a picture of an empty supermarket freezer unit on facebook, which got picked up by the local press, which tried ti run a story with it.

Until the supermarket pointed out that the freezer unit was actually broken!.

"Somebody posted a picture of an empty supermarket freezer unit on facebook, which got picked up by the local press, which tried ti run a story with it.

Until the supermarket pointed out that the freezer unit was actually broken!. "

LMAO.

wisbech

"Somebody posted a picture of an empty supermarket freezer unit on facebook, which got picked up by the local press, which tried ti run a story with it.

Until the supermarket pointed out that the freezer unit was actually broken!. "

By *evoncream2017Couple  over a year ago

exeter

Local Sainsbury’s. Empty shelves. It’s not made up.

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

I can report I have seen shortages in Leeds in Tesco, Morrisons, Aldi, Lidl. Not been to any other supermarkets.

By *JB1954Man  over a year ago

Reading

I went to my local superstore Friday morning. Yes when first open at 7 am . No empty shelves. Neighbours went to same store this morning but after 9 am . Shelves full. As a side note also . News keep saying shelves empty due to deliveries and also lack of staff. I did see on news a photo of empty vegetable shelves. But no people in background. What time was photo taken ?

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

A friend told me she’d been to a Sainsbury’s this week and totally empty shelves

Covid? Brexit?

A long power cut and it had all been thrown away

By *lan157Man  over a year ago

a village near Haywards Heath in East Sussex

Building and fencing materials still in short supply but it's been like that for months

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Sainsburys had loads of empty shelves today. The alcohol shelves were heartbreakingly empty.

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

I recall posting about this a couple of weeks ago before I went on holiday snd was roundly ridiculed by some.

No doubt the same posters will be back on this thread soon saying it’s all a lie.

Nope what other people posted was that they had found no shortages. BTW those tomatoes turned up at 11.15am the next day - so the only shortage was that they were short on a promise to deliver between 10am - 11am.

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"Nope what other people posted was that they had found no shortages. BTW those tomatoes turned up at 11.15am the next day - so the only shortage was that they were short on a promise to deliver between 10am - 11am.

"

As I am currently self isolating and forced to use home delivery grocery shopping, I can categorically assure you that items ordered and accepted do not equate to items delivered. Today was the worst:

No sliced cheddar cheese

No Hovis Seed Sensation bread

No Robinson Orange Juice

No Robinson Apple & Blackcurrent

No individual broccoli’s

No whole cucumbers

No coleslaw

Replacements

Sugar Snaps replaced by Mangetout

Jersey Royals replaced by Tesco finest new potatoes

I won’t be able to go to the shop until Monday, but this seemed like a significant list of unavailable and replacement products.

N

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

Pre sliced cheese makes me mad…..really! I mean what is wrong with buying a block of cheese and slicing it yourself…

Supermarket coleslaw tends to be crap and vinegary - not good tasting. Cabbage, carrot, onion and some mayo - sea salt and some

Ground pepper. Fresh and delicious

Jersey royals - end of season, not surprised subbed.

Fruit juices …. Hmmm … sugar laced (even the ones claiming to be low sugar )

Cucumber - whole. I’m wondering if the picker missed an opportunity to offer 2 half cucumbers ???

Seeded bread - tend to avoid this stuff as it’s not really proper bread - mass produced with additives and preservatives to makes its shelf life longer (even though it’s hovis - but I’m betting the little lad on the bike didn’t have to push his bike up an incredibly steep hill t’pick it up fromt bakery)

Best supermarket bread can be had from the M&S in store bakery

Hoping this helps ??

By *JB1954Man  over a year ago

Reading

The other problem that is causing some items not to be there is a shortage of lorry drivers , plus covid isolation.

Most food deliveries now work on what is known as. “ Just in time “ . This means not many supermarkets have very large storage areas. Deliveries arrive and are put out in store. So as other poster have said if delivery misses allocated slot. Then no delivery until next day or very late that day after other deliveries have been done.

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

Perfect Covid/Brexit storm.

Labour shortage picking crops so more EU imports needed:

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/supply-chain/seasonal-labour-shortages-leaving-crops-unpicked-growing-industry-warns/658221.article

HGV driver shortage:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/57810729.amp

Increase in union power with above labour shortages:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jul/24/lorry-drivers-plan-to-strike-over-low-pay-and-poor-working-conditions

Costs will all be passed on to consumers.

Shortagea in London (not panic enducing) but a very obvious reduction in discounting, which is prices rising, which is inflation.

The completely predictable, unpredictable problems because that's what happened in the past which we have complained about for years.

Plus ca change...

By *andy 1Couple  over a year ago

northeast

"Pre sliced cheese makes me mad…..really! I mean what is wrong with buying a block of cheese and slicing it yourself…

Supermarket coleslaw tends to be crap and vinegary - not good tasting. Cabbage, carrot, onion and some mayo - sea salt and some

Ground pepper. Fresh and delicious

Jersey royals - end of season, not surprised subbed.

Fruit juices …. Hmmm … sugar laced (even the ones claiming to be low sugar )

Cucumber - whole. I’m wondering if the picker missed an opportunity to offer 2 half cucumbers ???

Seeded bread - tend to avoid this stuff as it’s not really proper bread - mass produced with additives and preservatives to makes its shelf life longer (even though it’s hovis - but I’m betting the little lad on the bike didn’t have to push his bike up an incredibly steep hill t’pick it up fromt bakery)

Best supermarket bread can be had from the M&S in store bakery

Hoping this helps ?? "

By *meenaTV/TS  over a year ago

chesterfield

Who cares what it is it just needs sorting because there is shortages in the supermarkets and local shops not of everything nearly always an alternative as well

But I look after my sister and I have to be careful with what she eats certain breads soft foods etc and it is getting difficult

But again it is strange how the alcohol aisle are always full and on offer

thornaby

"Nope what other people posted was that they had found no shortages. BTW those tomatoes turned up at 11.15am the next day - so the only shortage was that they were short on a promise to deliver between 10am - 11am.

"

aw ya just can’t live without them tho pmsl

aw ya just can’t live without them tho pmsl"

Could have opened an Italian Take-away lol.

near ipswich

As I am currently self isolating and forced to use home delivery grocery shopping, I can categorically assure you that items ordered and accepted do not equate to items delivered. Today was the worst:

No sliced cheddar cheese

No Hovis Seed Sensation bread

No Robinson Orange Juice

No Robinson Apple & Blackcurrent

No individual broccoli’s

No whole cucumbers

No coleslaw

Replacements

Sugar Snaps replaced by Mangetout

Jersey Royals replaced by Tesco finest new potatoes

I won’t be able to go to the shop until Monday, but this seemed like a significant list of unavailable and replacement products.

N

"

First world problems eh?

There are people in Africa ,India , and Indonesia who cant get oxygen to breath with due to covid and hear in the uk people are moaning they cant get sliced cheese what a terrible country we live in.

liverpool

When you here one of the richest countries in the world,compared to some of the poorest, you can actually make out the s@@@@@#@g of the barrel.

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

"you can actually make out the s@@@@@#@g of the barrel."

That took me a while to work out. I think you have an extra letter !

liverpool

"you can actually make out the s@@@@@#@g of the barrel.

That took me a while to work out. I think you have an extra letter !

"

I've only just woke up

near ipswich

"When you here one of the richest countries in the world,compared to some of the poorest, you can actually make out the s@@@@@#@g of the barrel."
just as i said 1st world problems.

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

So are there no shortages? Are they imaginary?

Is it a small and I significant poroblem?

If so, why are supermarkets and haulage companies saying that there is a problem and the government changing the isolation rules?

There always seems to be this strange dance of claiming that a serious problem is nonsense, then minimising it before accepting the reality without acknowledgement.

The same pattern was played out with Covid itself.

[Removed by poster at 26/07/21 11:22:00]

liverpool

"So are there no shortages? Are they imaginary?

If so, why are supermarkets and haulage companies saying that there is a problem and the government changing the isolation rules?

There always seems to be this strange dance of claiming that a serious problem is nonsense, then minimising it before accepting the reality without acknowledgement.

The same pattern was played out with Covid itself."

Loads of stuff missing from sainsbury's on friday.

I can tell you that at my local very large Tesco - Marks and Spencer - and Sainsbury's on Sunday (and at Morrison's this morning) there are NO shortages. Including Haribos!!

Cheshire oaks M&S didn't have shortages either on Friday. Local Aldi too, says my friend.

Loads of stuff missing from sainsbury's on friday."

No tomatoes or lettuces again in my local Asda

thornaby

No tomatoes or lettuces again in my local Asda "

I’ll send you some down mate loads up here lol

liverpool

No tomatoes or lettuces again in my local Asda "

Is that another one to add to the Brexit benefits list?

No tomatoes or lettuces again in my local Asda I’ll send you some down mate loads up here lol "

Fun you thing is, there has always been 'missing items' anytime I've been in a supermarket. It wasnt a Brexit problem beforehand.

thornaby

Is that another one to add to the Brexit benefits list?"

or covid benefits list maybe

By *uietlykinkymeWoman  over a year ago

kinky land

I went food shopping this morning, no actual gaps I could see. No big packs of doggo meat but that's normal for this year. Ample salad stuffs and everything north of Liverpool

No tomatoes or lettuces again in my local Asda I’ll send you some down mate loads up here lol "

Thanks,

milton keynes

Quick update, still no problem in the shops but heard this morning that our wheelie bin collection has been suspended. Not seen I direct quote but believe its due to staff having to self isolate. I guess this is brexit too

"Quick update, still no problem in the shops but heard this morning that our wheelie bin collection has been suspended. Not seen I direct quote but believe its due to staff having to self isolate. I guess this is brexit too"

Here is another irrelevant fact, pound to euro at a pathetic 1.17, covid?

milton keynes

"Quick update, still no problem in the shops but heard this morning that our wheelie bin collection has been suspended. Not seen I direct quote but believe its due to staff having to self isolate. I guess this is brexit too

Here is another irrelevant fact, pound to euro at a pathetic 1.17, covid? "

I'm not sure it is irrelevant as both mention the same problem

liverpool

Is that another one to add to the Brexit benefits list? or covid benefits list maybe "

Yep

It's a total coincidence that we are having problems at exactly the sane time as lots of foreign drivers are going home.

liverpool

"Quick update, still no problem in the shops but heard this morning that our wheelie bin collection has been suspended. Not seen I direct quote but believe its due to staff having to self isolate. I guess this is brexit too"

Not really as international food supplies are slightly different than local council bin supplies.

"Quick update, still no problem in the shops but heard this morning that our wheelie bin collection has been suspended. Not seen I direct quote but believe its due to staff having to self isolate. I guess this is brexit too

I'm not sure it is irrelevant as both mention the same problem"

Lack of tomato’s and lettuces?

thornaby

Is that another one to add to the Brexit benefits list? or covid benefits list maybe

Yep

It's a total coincidence that we are having problems at exactly the sane time as lots of foreign drivers are going home."

and exactly the same time as a pandemic mad is t it lol

Is that another one to add to the Brexit benefits list? or covid benefits list maybe

Yep

It's a total coincidence that we are having problems at exactly the sane time as lots of foreign drivers are going home.and exactly the same time as a pandemic mad is t it lol"

Are we the only country experiencing COVID?

near ipswich

Lack of tomato’s and lettuces? "

A glut of home grown tomatoes ,lettuce ,courgettes and cucumbers here at the moment.

By *lan157Man  over a year ago

a village near Haywards Heath in East Sussex

I went shopping this morning and they had everything I wanted but they were sold out of scotch eggs . Whom should I blame?

near ipswich

"I went shopping this morning and they had everything I wanted but they were sold out of scotch eggs . Whom should I blame? "
Its must be nicola,s fault she doesnt want us sasanacks to have them.

"I went shopping this morning and they had everything I wanted but they were sold out of scotch eggs . Whom should I blame? "

The Scottish?

Lack of tomato’s and lettuces? A glut of home grown tomatoes ,lettuce ,courgettes and cucumbers here at the moment. "

Nice, I don’t fancy driving to Ipswich though

near ipswich

Lack of tomato’s and lettuces? A glut of home grown tomatoes ,lettuce ,courgettes and cucumbers here at the moment.

Nice, I don’t fancy driving to Ipswich though "

doesn't anyone up north ever grow anything then, dont you have local greengrocers or do you only eat continental tomatoes and lettuce?

thornaby

Yep

It's a total coincidence that we are having problems at exactly the sane time as lots of foreign drivers are going home.and exactly the same time as a pandemic mad is t it lol

Are we the only country experiencing COVID? "

what are you saying other countries aren’t isolating then no wonder there still fucked then

Lack of tomato’s and lettuces? A glut of home grown tomatoes ,lettuce ,courgettes and cucumbers here at the moment.

Nice, I don’t fancy driving to Ipswich though doesn't anyone up north ever grow anything then, dont you have local greengrocers or do you only eat continental tomatoes and lettuce? "

I buy mine from Tesco or Morrison's lol They always have plenty.

liverpool

Yep

It's a total coincidence that we are having problems at exactly the sane time as lots of foreign drivers are going home.and exactly the same time as a pandemic mad is t it lol

Are we the only country experiencing COVID? "

Looks that way

Like we are the only country we an overweight,/bame/disobedient population who counts their death a certain way..aswell as being the only irelamd in the world.

Course our look

liverpool

Yep

It's a total coincidence that we are having problems at exactly the sane time as lots of foreign drivers are going home.and exactly the same time as a pandemic mad is t it lol"

May have been a good idea to get 1 over before starting on.the other then?

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

Anyone watched Clarksons Farm?

near ipswich

Nice, I don’t fancy driving to Ipswich though doesn't anyone up north ever grow anything then, dont you have local greengrocers or do you only eat continental tomatoes and lettuce?

I buy mine from Tesco or Morrison's lol They always have plenty. "

I get so many tomatoes this time of year from family and friends i blend them and freeze them for pasta sauce later in the year.

Yep

Are we the only country experiencing COVID? what are you saying other countries aren’t isolating then no wonder there still fucked then "

What has that got to do with shortages of tomato’s and lettuces?

Nice, I don’t fancy driving to Ipswich though doesn't anyone up north ever grow anything then, dont you have local greengrocers or do you only eat continental tomatoes and lettuce? "

I don’t grow my own veg,

near ipswich

Nice, I don’t fancy driving to Ipswich though doesn't anyone up north ever grow anything then, dont you have local greengrocers or do you only eat continental tomatoes and lettuce?

I don’t grow my own veg, "

No local greengrocers then?

thornaby

Yep

Are we the only country experiencing COVID? what are you saying other countries aren’t isolating then no wonder there still fucked then

What has that got to do with shortages of tomato’s and lettuces? "

what as covid got to do with shortages of tomatoes and lettuces ? Really lol

I don’t grow my own veg, No local greengrocers then?"

Yeah loads,

Yep

Are we the only country experiencing COVID? what are you saying other countries aren’t isolating then no wonder there still fucked then

What has that got to do with shortages of tomato’s and lettuces? what as covid got to do with shortages of tomatoes and lettuces ? Really lol"

Yeah, we had COVID last year, no shortages ??

near ipswich

I don’t grow my own veg, No local greengrocers then?

Yeah loads, "

try them they seem to have plenty of produce down here so unless its regional i would think yours will too.Hope this helps.

Yeah loads, try them they seem to have plenty of produce down here so unless its regional i would think yours will too.Hope this helps. "

No thanks, I would like to stick to the shops I always use, don’t fancy making unnecessary car journeys

milton keynes

Not really as international food supplies are slightly different than local council bin supplies."

indeed they are but both rely on staff doing the job and both can be affected badly but the self isolation

near ipswich

Yeah loads, try them they seem to have plenty of produce down here so unless its regional i would think yours will too.Hope this helps.

No thanks, I would like to stick to the shops I always use, don’t fancy making unnecessary car journeys "

Right, but it might be worth it to try what fresh fruit and veg tastes like instead of the stuff from supermarkets.each to their own though i guess.

Yeah loads, try them they seem to have plenty of produce down here so unless its regional i would think yours will too.Hope this helps.

No thanks, I would like to stick to the shops I always use, don’t fancy making unnecessary car journeys Right, but it might be worth it to try what fresh fruit and veg tastes like instead of the stuff from supermarkets.each to their own though i guess. "

Nah, I would like to be able to buy produce from the same shops that I have always used I don’t understand why things have changed from last year??

near ipswich

No thanks, I would like to stick to the shops I always use, don’t fancy making unnecessary car journeys Right, but it might be worth it to try what fresh fruit and veg tastes like instead of the stuff from supermarkets.each to their own though i guess.

Nah, I would like to be able to buy produce from the same shops that I have always used I don’t understand why things have changed from last year?? "

As i said each to their own, i understand that some people are creatures of habit and dont like change it takes all sorts.

No thanks, I would like to stick to the shops I always use, don’t fancy making unnecessary car journeys Right, but it might be worth it to try what fresh fruit and veg tastes like instead of the stuff from supermarkets.each to their own though i guess.

Nah, I would like to be able to buy produce from the same shops that I have always used I don’t understand why things have changed from last year?? As i said each to their own, i understand that some people are creatures of habit and dont like change it takes all sorts."

Why don’t you try buying your fruit & veg from a supermarket ?

near ipswich

Nah, I would like to be able to buy produce from the same shops that I have always used I don’t understand why things have changed from last year?? As i said each to their own, i understand that some people are creatures of habit and dont like change it takes all sorts.

Why don’t you try buying your fruit & veg from a supermarket ? "

I do sometimes if im in one but i do prefer to support local butchers, fishmongers and greengrocers when i can.

Nah, I would like to be able to buy produce from the same shops that I have always used I don’t understand why things have changed from last year?? As i said each to their own, i understand that some people are creatures of habit and dont like change it takes all sorts.

Why don’t you try buying your fruit & veg from a supermarket ? I do sometimes if im in one but i do prefer to support local butchers, fishmongers and greengrocers when i can."

Fair enough, I understand that some people are creatures of habit and dont like change it takes all sorts

I see the childishness is back again.

I'd just like to point out that we had a shed load of shortages last year in my local supermarkets when the first lockdown happened.

Way, way more than I am finding now.

near ipswich

Why don’t you try buying your fruit & veg from a supermarket ? I do sometimes if im in one but i do prefer to support local butchers, fishmongers and greengrocers when i can.

Fair enough, I understand that some people are creatures of habit and dont like change it takes all sorts"

Oh dear did my comment hit a nerve.

Why don’t you try buying your fruit & veg from a supermarket ? I do sometimes if im in one but i do prefer to support local butchers, fishmongers and greengrocers when i can.

Fair enough, I understand that some people are creatures of habit and dont like change it takes all sortsOh dear did my comment hit a nerve. "

Not at all, each to their own.

"I see the childishness is back again.

I'd just like to point out that we had a shed load of shortages last year in my local supermarkets when the first lockdown happened.

Way, way more than I am finding now."

We only had toilet roll shortages up here

We only had toilet roll shortages up here "

We had loads of food shortages. Mainly dry foods mind.

We had loads of food shortages. Mainly dry foods mind."

Cream Crackers! Were one . . . lol. And Yeast and Flour.

That’s a shame, did you try shopping around? Going to your local shop, or straight to the whole salers? It might have just been a regional problem

That’s a shame, did you try shopping around? Going to your local shop, or straight to the whole salers? It might have just been a regional problem "

I managed to get by.

Online wholesalers is where I got what I needed. But imagine is I was too stubborn to shop around, my poor kids may have had to go without their favourite mac and cheese

That’s a shame, did you try shopping around? Going to your local shop, or straight to the whole salers? It might have just been a regional problem

I managed to get by.

Online wholesalers is where I got what I needed. But imagine is I was too stubborn to shop around, my poor kids may have had to go without their favourite mac and cheese"

Fair enough, each to their own ,

milton keynes

same here last year. anything pasta based or tinned was out of stock, even pot noodles lol oh amd of course toilet roles

same here last year. anything pasta based or tinned was out of stock, even pot noodles lol oh amd of course toilet roles"

Perhaps people were stocking up on dry food as they have a long shelf life??

milton keynes

same here last year. anything pasta based or tinned was out of stock, even pot noodles lol oh amd of course toilet roles

Perhaps people were stocking up on dry food as they have a long shelf life?? "

yes they were as the lockdown was just starting and guess no one knew what was to happen. As soon as it started the sheves were empty every time I went in

yes they were as the lockdown was just starting and guess no one knew what was to happen. As soon as it started the sheves were empty every time I went in"

Plenty of fruit and veg though??

thornaby

Yep

What has that got to do with shortages of tomato’s and lettuces? what as covid got to do with shortages of tomatoes and lettuces ? Really lol

Yeah, we had COVID last year, no shortages ?? "

have you heard of the pingdemic

milton keynes

yes they were as the lockdown was just starting and guess no one knew what was to happen. As soon as it started the sheves were empty every time I went in

Plenty of fruit and veg though?? "

no not after a while as once the long life stuff went everything else went down.

no not after a while as once the long life stuff went everything else went down. "

Not around here, you should have said at the time, I could have sent you some

milton keynes

no not after a while as once the long life stuff went everything else went down.

Not around here, you should have said at the time, I could have sent you some "

Lucky you - was bedlam here lol. So far this time no problems in the shops but my wheelie bin collections been suspended. Hopefully thats all it will be but thanks anyway

Lucky you - was bedlam here lol. So far this time no problems in the shops but my wheelie bin collections been suspended. Hopefully thats all it will be but thanks anyway"

Amazingly my bin collection hasn’t been affected ,

liverpool

Obviously it would have took mystic meg to predict that opening up the country and getting rid of the safety measures would result in a spike in infections.. more pings..more people off.

Never let it be said that akex isnt a stickler for detail.

Still it makes a change from blaming the eu.

milton keynes

Lucky you - was bedlam here lol. So far this time no problems in the shops but my wheelie bin collections been suspended. Hopefully thats all it will be but thanks anyway

Amazingly my bin collection hasn’t been affected , "

just the wheelie bins and hopefully not for long. Also happened last year

Amazingly my bin collection hasn’t been affected ,

just the wheelie bins and hopefully not for long. Also happened last year"

Strange times

near ipswich

"Obviously it would have took mystic meg to predict that opening up the country and getting rid of the safety measures would result in a spike in infections.. more pings..more people off.

Still it makes a change from blaming the eu."

They knew there would be a spike everyone knew but this current spike is nothing to do with opening up as there is always a lag the current one which has been going down for the last 6 days is put down to the euros.The effect of opening up will be known from the end of this week.

"Obviously it would have took mystic meg to predict that opening up the country and getting rid of the safety measures would result in a spike in infections.. more pings..more people off.

Still it makes a change from blaming the eu.They knew there would be a spike everyone knew but this current spike is nothing to do with opening up as there is always a lag the current one which has been going down for the last 6 days is put down to the euros.The effect of opening up will be known from the end of this week."

Yea. Saw that too. I think it will fizzle for a while, flu will hit and if people vax like they have then maybe we will get past that without too much trouble.

Climate Change is the next biggie.

near ipswich

Still it makes a change from blaming the eu.They knew there would be a spike everyone knew but this current spike is nothing to do with opening up as there is always a lag the current one which has been going down for the last 6 days is put down to the euros.The effect of opening up will be known from the end of this week.

Yea. Saw that too. I think it will fizzle for a while, flu will hit and if people vax like they have then maybe we will get past that without too much trouble.

Climate Change is the next biggie."

Some experts are saying there will be another rise while others say due to schools being out they dont think there will only time will tell.

liverpool

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19467004.retailers-blame-brexit-food-shortages-sweep-across-scotlands-stores/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/15808206/army-hgv-drivers-standby-to-relieve-britains-trucker-shortages/

I appreciate that, going by the responses in the threads, the shortages are very localised and also across both Germany and France but, according to the Sun (if that newspaper is to be believed), the army are in stand by to relieve HGV and food shortages (in the UK).

I have not heard anything similar here in France (I have also not been in a supermarket here for a week or two so there could easily be empty shelves) but I really doubt if mainland Europe is seeing the same shortages.

wisbech

Seems to depend where you live in the country too, lots of people stated on this thread they are having no issues my self included, done my weekly shop yesterday and no issues at all in my local supermarkets, and yet others talk of shortages so it seems a bit hit and miss to me. Newspapers will only ever print stories of empty shelves never all the full ones though that is for sure.

"Seems to depend where you live in the country too, lots of people stated on this thread they are having no issues my self included, done my weekly shop yesterday and no issues at all in my local supermarkets, and yet others talk of shortages so it seems a bit hit and miss to me.

Newspapers will only ever print stories of empty shelves never all the full ones though that is for sure."

milton keynes

"https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/15808206/army-hgv-drivers-standby-to-relieve-britains-trucker-shortages/

I appreciate that, going by the responses in the threads, the shortages are very localised and also across both Germany and France but, according to the Sun (if that newspaper is to be believed), the army are in stand by to relieve HGV and food shortages (in the UK).

I have not heard anything similar here in France (I have also not been in a supermarket here for a week or two so there could easily be empty shelves) but I really doubt if mainland Europe is seeing the same shortages.

"

Still no shortages here and oddly no price rises for basic weekly shop items at least. I don't disbelieve there has been shortages in some area's in the UK and abroad but just not witnessed myself

thornaby

"Seems to depend where you live in the country too, lots of people stated on this thread they are having no issues my self included, done my weekly shop yesterday and no issues at all in my local supermarkets, and yet others talk of shortages so it seems a bit hit and miss to me. Newspapers will only ever print stories of empty shelves never all the full ones though that is for sure."
same up here weird isn’t it

By *irtylittletramp100TV/TS  over a year ago

Notts

Just luck I guess..

"

its ping, ping PING fucking PING! pin demic is what you get in sewing circles!

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

It is caused by driver and worker shortages according to the Grocer.

I don’t think the majors will allow many empty shelves they will just fill with stuff they do have so avoid the image.

Toilet rolls and plastic storage boxes are always a favourite.

These guys seem to be at the front end.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-58058783

Invest in U.K. workers the government says. Where are they?

The government have extended hgv drivers hours which is a horrific response. Drivers spending an extra 6 hours a week behind the wheel is not safe in anyone’s eyes.

Truck drivers are ten times less likely to have an accident than car drivers but when trucks have accidents they are ten times more likely to kill people. Tiredness kills as all those signs say!

UK have been hit three ways:

1) brexit with EU workers leaving. Although they only make up 10pc of workers and and presumably havent all left

2) covid: less license tests mean we haven't been able to replace leavers plus pings.

3) tax changes menaing many now count as employees not self employed which means more to the tax man and less to the drivers.

The large companies will poach as many as they can as it's cheaper than investing in new talent. Many of the small companies will fold as they can't keep up( I understand margins are thin).

Manchester

"UK have been hit three ways:

1) brexit with EU workers leaving. Although they only make up 10pc of workers and and presumably havent all left

2) covid: less license tests mean we haven't been able to replace leavers plus pings.

3) tax changes menaing many now count as employees not self employed which means more to the tax man and less to the drivers.

The large companies will poach as many as they can as it's cheaper than investing in new talent. Many of the small companies will fold as they can't keep up( I understand margins are thin). "

All good points but for drivers the numbers from the EU made up a much higher percentage.

The lack of tests will impact but the 30% of drivers being over 50 is a more worrying trend.

The large companies will poach as many as they can as it's cheaper than investing in new talent. Many of the small companies will fold as they can't keep up( I understand margins are thin).

All good points but for drivers the numbers from the EU made up a much higher percentage.

The lack of tests will impact but the 30% of drivers being over 50 is a more worrying trend.

"

My 10pc is from the road haulage associations letter to the PM (60k out of 600k drivers).

That's the sum total of my research tho. So v happy to be corrected.

Manchester

My 10pc is from the road haulage associations letter to the PM (60k out of 600k drivers).

That's the sum total of my research tho. So v happy to be corrected. "

Both figures are right but the FTA only counts working drivers not qualified which the RHA tends to do.

So you are right

There are around 500k registered HGV trucks registered in the U.K. but when you take out bin lorries, other site trucks and small home delivery trucks of 7.5t ( classed as HGV) etc the number drops by at least 100k

Another problem we have is the Germans and French have ongoing driver shortages too as we have had, so they are attracting our EU leavers due to our unwelcome here in the UK attitude.

Perfect storm.

That's the sum total of my research tho. So v happy to be corrected.

Both figures are right but the FTA only counts working drivers not qualified which the RHA tends to do.

So you are right

There are around 500k registered HGV trucks registered in the U.K. but when you take out bin lorries, other site trucks and small home delivery trucks of 7.5t ( classed as HGV) etc the number drops by at least 100k

Another problem we have is the Germans and French have ongoing driver shortages too as we have had, so they are attracting our EU leavers due to our unwelcome here in the UK attitude.

Perfect storm. "

Cool. Thanks for the explanation.

» Add a new message to this topic