FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > BP Fuel rations

BP Fuel rations

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

BP are to ration fuel due to HGV driver shortages, this is going well,

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

"BP are to ration fuel due to HGV driver shortages, this is going well, "

No, there is no fuel rationing.

BP have temporarily closed a handful of tbeir stations. They do cite driver shortage though.

"BP are to ration fuel due to HGV driver shortages, this is going well,

No, there is no fuel rationing.

BP have temporarily closed a handful of tbeir stations. They do cite driver shortage though. "

Ah, it’s worse than I thought, closing stations, amazing times

By *ak777Man  over a year ago

shaw

ever thing is o k .

"ever thing is o k ."

Yeah,

By *ak777Man  over a year ago

shaw

yes just fill up now no need to worry.

"yes just fill up now no need to worry."

Yeah, just fill up now, I will ignore the warnings BP have made about future problems, I mean, what do they know? Maybe I can buy a tanker, store some fuel or walk everywhere

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

oh dear its true what they say when you have a negative attitude it follows you through your everyday life.

"oh dear its true what they say when you have a negative attitude it follows you through your everyday life. "

Head in the sand? Why are BP warning about future problems ?

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

It’s slightly misleading…. BP are rationing delivery’s of petrol and diesel to its uk network of 1200 service stations… not rationing petrol to customers!!!

It looks like it is prioritising service stations they deem important… such as motorway services

By *eanoCoolMan  over a year ago

wisbech

"It’s slightly misleading…. BP are rationing delivery’s of petrol and diesel to its uk network of 1200 service stations… not rationing petrol to customers!!!

It looks like it is prioritising service stations they deem important… such as motorway services "

Yeah it appears to be just bp and esso having some issues, shell say they are fine, bp does not have its own drivers, it outsources, not sure if the others do or not, but that may explain why they are not having the same issues as bp.

"It’s slightly misleading…. BP are rationing delivery’s of petrol and diesel to its uk network of 1200 service stations… not rationing petrol to customers!!!

It looks like it is prioritising service stations they deem important… such as motorway services

Yeah it appears to be just bp and esso having some issues, shell say they are fine, bp does not have its own drivers, it outsources, not sure if the others do or not, but that may explain why they are not having the same issues as bp."

I am concerned that the extra demand on Shell will create problems , they need drivers now, not when they finish their training

near ipswich

Yeah it appears to be just bp and esso having some issues, shell say they are fine, bp does not have its own drivers, it outsources, not sure if the others do or not, but that may explain why they are not having the same issues as bp.

I am concerned that the extra demand on Shell will create problems , they need drivers now, not when they finish their training "

Im sure they appreciate your concern.

wisbech

It appears shell signed a new deal with hoyer earlier this year to increase the amount of delivery vehicles and drivers it had on contract, so I guess that's why they are OK. Obviously more proactive with recognising the issues on the horizon than bp and the others.

wisbech

I am concerned that the extra demand on Shell will create problems , they need drivers now, not when they finish their training "

See my post, shell have plenty of drivers, they are not waiting for them to be trained so they will be fine.

near ipswich

I am concerned that the extra demand on Shell will create problems , they need drivers now, not when they finish their training

See my post, shell have plenty of drivers, they are not waiting for them to be trained so they will be fine. "

But that doesn't make doom and gloom posts so some wont want to hear about that.

See my post, shell have plenty of drivers, they are not waiting for them to be trained so they will be fine. "

BP & Esso haven’t, Shell only account for 13% of uk petrol stations

wisbech

They increased there drivers from 220 to 320 and increased there tanker capacity from 75 to 105 so I am sure they will be fine.

By *andy 1Couple  over a year ago

northeast

"oh dear its true what they say when you have a negative attitude it follows you through your everyday life. "

Only 3 thumbs ?

wisbech

See my post, shell have plenty of drivers, they are not waiting for them to be trained so they will be fine.

BP & Esso haven’t, Shell only account for 13% of uk petrol stations "

Thats true, but you said you were concerned for shell. It seems bp and esso have sat on there arse and not been proactive in sorting out there transportation issues when others have.

"They increased there drivers from 220 to 320 and increased there tanker capacity from 75 to 105 so I am sure they will be fine."

BP?

near ipswich

with that im off down the pub before the co2 runs out and theres no more beer.

wisbech

"They increased there drivers from 220 to 320 and increased there tanker capacity from 75 to 105 so I am sure they will be fine.

BP? "

Really?? , if bp had increased there's then they wouldn't be reporting the issues they are would they, surely that's common sense.

BP & Esso haven’t, Shell only account for 13% of uk petrol stations

Thats true, but you said you were concerned for shell. It seems bp and esso have sat on there arse and not been proactive in sorting out there transportation issues when others have."

True, if Shell can accommodate the shortfall elsewhere then there will be no issues,

"They increased there drivers from 220 to 320 and increased there tanker capacity from 75 to 105 so I am sure they will be fine.

BP?

Really?? , if bp had increased there's then they wouldn't be reporting the issues they are would they, surely that's common sense."

That’s why I asked?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I think the best thing to do is gather buckets, watering cans etc.. And panic buy..

Eeeee fucking hell!!

Were all dooooOOOOOMMMED

"I think the best thing to do is gather buckets, watering cans etc.. And panic buy..

Eeeee fucking hell!!

Were all dooooOOOOOMMMED "

Don’t worry, if you close your eyes, think positive and dream of unicorns everything will go away

"I think the best thing to do is gather buckets, watering cans etc.. And panic buy..

Eeeee fucking hell!!

Were all dooooOOOOOMMMED

Don’t worry, if you close your eyes, think positive and dream of unicorns everything will go away "

mind you i wouldn't be surprised if people did panic buy. Just tskes one or two to get the ball rolling

Eeeee fucking hell!!

Were all dooooOOOOOMMMED

Don’t worry, if you close your eyes, think positive and dream of unicorns everything will go away

mind you i wouldn't be surprised if people did panic buy. Just tskes one or two to get the ball rolling "

This is true, which obviously worsens the problem,

wisbech

BP?

Really?? , if bp had increased there's then they wouldn't be reporting the issues they are would they, surely that's common sense.

That’s why I asked? "

Asked what? If bp had increased there drivers and tanker capacity? Because if they had why would they be reporting issues?, it does not make sense that they would if they had done what shell did. Also the reports of shortages are in the south and the south east so I dont think you need to worry up there.

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

Eeeee fucking hell!!

Were all dooooOOOOOMMMED

mind you i wouldn't be surprised if people did panic buy. Just tskes one or two to get the ball rolling

This is true, which obviously worsens the problem, "

Just driven past a local Morrison’s and the cars are queuing back to the road so it’s started!! Fuckwitts! Toilet roll next??

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"with that im off down the pub before the co2 runs out and theres no more beer. "

Warm flat beer… what could be more quintessentially British!!! Just have a wasp buzzing around it and that was my university years!!!!

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

For too many years hgv drivers have been treated like shite and the industries have under invested in new drivers because they were just picking up the phone and importing drivers from abroad and now it’s bitten them on the ass.

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

Eeeee fucking hell!!

Were all dooooOOOOOMMMED

This is true, which obviously worsens the problem,

Just driven past a local Morrison’s and the cars are queuing back to the road so it’s started!! Fuckwitts! Toilet roll next?? "

So far the supermarkets are saying they don't have a problem either but if people spread scare stories they most likely will have problems

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

meanwhile tesco has started to close forcourts due to petrol shortages

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"meanwhile tesco has started to close forcourts due to petrol shortages"

This is true, yesterday one of our two local Tesco fuel courts was closed and I just passed the other one coming back from the station and there was about a 30 car queue. Presumably people panic buying.

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

"meanwhile tesco has started to close forcourts due to petrol shortages

This is true, yesterday one of our two local Tesco fuel courts was closed and I just passed the other one coming back from the station and there was about a 30 car queue. Presumably people panic buying."

Sounds like the scare mongers have done their job again then

in the real world government fuelled driver shortages are responsible

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

It looks like it is prioritising service stations they deem important… such as motorway services "

Motorway services are certainly not the most important but certainly the most profitable!

Manchester

[Removed by poster at 24/09/21 09:16:07]

Manchester

Motorway services are certainly not the most important but certainly the most profitable!"

Trucks need them or they will be moving even less! So think that makes them important.

I do agree they are too expensive but government rents add to the high prices.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Just drove past three rural petrol stations and two urban. Little bit busier than usual but nothing dramatic. Will be fine unless the drama llamas keep banging on about it.

Manchester

Well all the news outlets are saying large queues everywhere so the message isn’t working .

This government lies constantly the “don’t panic everything is under control” just isn’t believed by the public. Previous track record speaks for itself.

"Well all the news outlets are saying large queues everywhere so the message isn’t working .

This government lies constantly the “don’t panic everything is under control” just isn’t believed by the public. Previous track record speaks for itself.

"

This is part of the problem when a PM and government lie all the time. Nobody trusts anything they say in the slightest.

wisbech

"Well all the news outlets are saying large queues everywhere so the message isn’t working .

"

It seems as if the news outlets are a large part of the problem with this situation, reporting rationing etc when this is not the case at all, bp and the others admitted that it is only a very small number of petrol stations effected and most are in the south and south east. Whats going on is just sheer panic buying which is being stoked by the news outlets and social media, just the same as the loo roll situation at the start of the pandemic. Some people really should open there eyes and see whats actually going on instead of believing everything they read online and in the press.

It seems as if the news outlets are a large part of the problem with this situation, reporting rationing etc when this is not the case at all, bp and the others admitted that it is only a very small number of petrol stations effected and most are in the south and south east. Whats going on is just sheer panic buying which is being stoked by the news outlets and social media, just the same as the loo roll situation at the start of the pandemic. Some people really should open there eyes and see whats actually going on instead of believing everything they read online and in the press."

You expect the public to believe this government?

Manchester

It seems as if the news outlets are a large part of the problem with this situation, reporting rationing etc when this is not the case at all, bp and the others admitted that it is only a very small number of petrol stations effected and most are in the south and south east. Whats going on is just sheer panic buying which is being stoked by the news outlets and social media, just the same as the loo roll situation at the start of the pandemic. Some people really should open there eyes and see whats actually going on instead of believing everything they read online and in the press."

Unfortunately people don’t trust the government so will fill their tanks at the earliest opportunity. This will create more shortages and make the situation even worse going forward. People who have to get to work or say a hospital appointment on Monday, do they just fill up on Monday as Boris says it’s ok or do they fill the tank today to be safe?

You know the answer. Yes the press can be blamed for the news but the core reason for the problem sits with the government.

Did a fag packet calculation and even if we go for the low number of 15k EU drivers leaving that’s at least 26-30 million tons of freight not able to be moved between now and Christmas. Add the 30k Covid non tests and the drivers retiring and the numbers rocket. Good job the government have it under control. Army drivers delivering 30,000 of petrol to forecourts and short-cut tested newly qualified drivers on the road..

What could possibly go wrong.

Grantham

See front page of the Sum this morning! Irresponsible!

Creating news rather than reporting on it.

wisbech

It seems as if the news outlets are a large part of the problem with this situation, reporting rationing etc when this is not the case at all, bp and the others admitted that it is only a very small number of petrol stations effected and most are in the south and south east. Whats going on is just sheer panic buying which is being stoked by the news outlets and social media, just the same as the loo roll situation at the start of the pandemic. Some people really should open there eyes and see whats actually going on instead of believing everything they read online and in the press.

You expect the public to believe this government? "

Nope, and i didn't say that at all if you read my post. Its clear that not only are the public not listening to the government they are also not listening to what bp, esso and tesco etc have said either because if they were why react they way they are, they are reading headlines and social media and reacting to that like headless chickens instead of actually looking at what is happening in reality, unless of course you don't believe what BP and Esso are saying.

wisbech

Unfortunately people don’t trust the government so will fill their tanks at the earliest opportunity. This will create more shortages and make the situation even worse going forward. People who have to get to work or say a hospital appointment on Monday, do they just fill up on Monday as Boris says it’s ok or do they fill the tank today to be safe?

You know the answer. Yes the press can be blamed for the news but the core reason for the problem sits with the government.

Did a fag packet calculation and even if we go for the low number of 15k EU drivers leaving that’s at least 26-30 million tons of freight not able to be moved between now and Christmas. Add the 30k Covid non tests and the drivers retiring and the numbers rocket. Good job the government have it under control. Army drivers delivering 30,000 of petrol to forecourts and short-cut tested newly qualified drivers on the road..

What could possibly go wrong. "

It doesn’t matter what anyone does the driver shortage issue cant be fixed overnight, even if they government relaxed the rules for EU drivers again would it cure it when Poland is short by over 100k drivers, Germany some 60k short, it doesn't seem as if there are excess drivers in the system, it seems as if there is more of a shortage of drivers everywhere, especially since the pandemic. I know brexit explains some of the issues here with drivers, but that doesn't explain the shortages in Europe and elsewhere. It seems whilst we were shut down from training during the pandemic, so was everywhere else and thus has the same problem with lack of drivers.

Nope, and i didn't say that at all if you read my post. Its clear that not only are the public not listening to the government they are also not listening to what bp, esso and tesco etc have said either because if they were why react they way they are, they are reading headlines and social media and reacting to that like headless chickens instead of actually looking at what is happening in reality, unless of course you don't believe what BP and Esso are saying."

We have a government who can’t be trusted, if they say there is ‘no problem, don’t panic buy’ then people will ignore them.

wisbech

Nope, and i didn't say that at all if you read my post. Its clear that not only are the public not listening to the government they are also not listening to what bp, esso and tesco etc have said either because if they were why react they way they are, they are reading headlines and social media and reacting to that like headless chickens instead of actually looking at what is happening in reality, unless of course you don't believe what BP and Esso are saying.

We have a government who can’t be trusted, if they say there is ‘no problem, don’t panic buy’ then people will ignore them. "

I agree people will and do ignore them, do you remember back in 2000 when we had the fuel strikes people ignored the government at that time too, and that was a Labour government. But do you agree that people are ignoring what the suppliers and garages are saying too then?, because they have stated what the issues are and how small a number of petrol stations are effected, yet people are still reacting the way they are. I dont disagree that the government has a role in all this but its clearly not JUST them which is what I am getting at.

By *ap d agde coupleCouple  over a year ago

Herne Bay

[Removed by poster at 24/09/21 16:01:39]

Manchester

It doesn’t matter what anyone does the driver shortage issue cant be fixed overnight, even if they government relaxed the rules for EU drivers again would it cure it when Poland is short by over 100k drivers, Germany some 60k short, it doesn't seem as if there are excess drivers in the system, it seems as if there is more of a shortage of drivers everywhere, especially since the pandemic. I know brexit explains some of the issues here with drivers, but that doesn't explain the shortages in Europe and elsewhere. It seems whilst we were shut down from training during the pandemic, so was everywhere else and thus has the same problem with lack of drivers."

There has been a shortage of drivers in Europe for the last 10 years as well as here. The problem was alleviated here by foreign drivers so we faired better. ( remember we still have those who stayed)

Not letting those drivers work here is hurting our economy right now so I don’t care what the politics of it are, that’s a fact. Given the vitriol of Brexit I would think the foreign drivers will be saying fuck you, but it’s worth a try, This issue is going to get worse due to the age of the drivers working today. Juice a recruiter reported they estimate over 100k drivers are due to retire by 2025 . Test rate 30k per year and two thirds pass. You do the maths.

Another important reason this has come about is because for years drivers have been treated like shit and just got out of the business. There are virtually no facilities for them and they are unwelcome wherever they go.

The past half a dozen governments have done nothing to improve infrastructure needs of the haulage industry. Not enough parking showers security and what is there is obscenely priced. Owner drivers have left the industry in droves due to the increase in costs. They were the industry’s built in flexibility for many years.

On top of that an example of mindless treatment was shown to me yesterday. A driver delivering to an RDC was running late due to an accident, 20mins to be precise. He phoned the RDC 1 hour before his delivery time to let them know. On arrival he was “sin binned” for being late and told he would have to wait as a “punishment”. They have over one hundred loading bays many of which were free but the policy is sin bin. The wait was 5 hours and so he missed his reload and then the load for the next morning due to drivers hours rules.

The big corporations running these RDC’s and DC’s need to have a long look at themselves. The driver and his time must come first . Same with services on the motorways and ind. parks.

If these things aren’t addressed drivers will keep leaving. Unless you can earn over £100k then maybe no showers and peeing in a lay bye is ok!,

there doesn't seem to be excessive queues on my way around the country today, however i am getting messages from family friends, associates etc that there are very few pumps working on forcourts and no diesel to be had in many petrol stations. this shows that people aren't panic buying but fuel is in far shorter supply than usual. the governments disaster management advisers will have flagged this up some time ago yet due to miserable failures in tory governmental management here we are on the brink of a broad fuel crisis.

wisbech

It doesn’t matter what anyone does the driver shortage issue cant be fixed overnight, even if they government relaxed the rules for EU drivers again would it cure it when Poland is short by over 100k drivers, Germany some 60k short, it doesn't seem as if there are excess drivers in the system, it seems as if there is more of a shortage of drivers everywhere, especially since the pandemic. I know brexit explains some of the issues here with drivers, but that doesn't explain the shortages in Europe and elsewhere. It seems whilst we were shut down from training during the pandemic, so was everywhere else and thus has the same problem with lack of drivers.

There has been a shortage of drivers in Europe for the last 10 years as well as here. The problem was alleviated here by foreign drivers so we faired better. ( remember we still have those who stayed)

Not letting those drivers work here is hurting our economy right now so I don’t care what the politics of it are, that’s a fact. Given the vitriol of Brexit I would think the foreign drivers will be saying fuck you, but it’s worth a try, This issue is going to get worse due to the age of the drivers working today. Juice a recruiter reported they estimate over 100k drivers are due to retire by 2025 . Test rate 30k per year and two thirds pass. You do the maths.

Another important reason this has come about is because for years drivers have been treated like shit and just got out of the business. There are virtually no facilities for them and they are unwelcome wherever they go.

The past half a dozen governments have done nothing to improve infrastructure needs of the haulage industry. Not enough parking showers security and what is there is obscenely priced. Owner drivers have left the industry in droves due to the increase in costs. They were the industry’s built in flexibility for many years.

On top of that an example of mindless treatment was shown to me yesterday. A driver delivering to an RDC was running late due to an accident, 20mins to be precise. He phoned the RDC 1 hour before his delivery time to let them know. On arrival he was “sin binned” for being late and told he would have to wait as a “punishment”. They have over one hundred loading bays many of which were free but the policy is sin bin. The wait was 5 hours and so he missed his reload and then the load for the next morning due to drivers hours rules.

The big corporations running these RDC’s and DC’s need to have a long look at themselves. The driver and his time must come first . Same with services on the motorways and ind. parks.

If these things aren’t addressed drivers will keep leaving. Unless you can earn over £100k then maybe no showers and peeing in a lay bye is ok!,

"

I couldn't agree more, the facilities for drivers just don't exist any longer, not that they were ever great, my father in law always used to moan about them 20 yrs ago and I am sure things are worse now than they ever were for him. The whole industry has been neglected and treated as a after thought for a very long time, maybe it needs people to run out of stuff and experience problems so that the issues within the industry and its infrastructure can be bought to the forefront

and addressed, because nobody gives a shit when its all going tickety boo.

wisbech

"there doesn't seem to be excessive queues on my way around the country today, however i am getting messages from family friends, associates etc that there are very few pumps working on forcourts and no diesel to be had in many petrol stations. this shows that people aren't panic buying but fuel is in far shorter supply than usual. the governments disaster management advisers will have flagged this up some time ago yet due to miserable failures in tory governmental management here we are on the brink of a broad fuel crisis. "

Somebody is telling lies somewhere then because BP and Esso both say there is no shortage of fuel, just delivering drivers,so are they lying to the government about the amount of stock they have? Or do you think the government and the suppliers are both in it together and both talking bull shit?

Have to say thought there doesn't appear to be anh issues with fuel where I live, no panic buying going on and none of the 3 petrol stations I pass on my daily commute were closed or had queues, so I guess its a bit hit and miss.

lorry drivers are working in a high pollution industry that is being thrown under the bus in the same way that lorry drivers assissted the government in throwing colliers working in a high pollution industry under the bus in 84/85. people in general care as much about truckers as they did about colliers.

Manchester

It’s ok Christmas is secure. Boris has been begging Brazil’s tin pot leader to supply more Turkeys as the U.K. suppliers haven’t got labour to deal with the birds bred in this country. Boris solution sweep under the carpet and hand the money over to another country. So Uk birds will be slaughtered and no doubt burned.

All to hide the failings of his appalling government. It’s just getting worse and worse.

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

Motorway services are certainly not the most important but certainly the most profitable!

Trucks need them or they will be moving even less! So think that makes them important.

I do agree they are too expensive but government rents add to the high prices. "

Self respecting truckers don’t fill up at motorway services unless they really have to, trucking is a narrow margins industry so paying over the odds for fuel is a no no.

"It’s ok Christmas is secure. Boris has been begging Brazil’s tin pot leader to supply more Turkeys as the U.K. suppliers haven’t got labour to deal with the birds bred in this country. Boris solution sweep under the carpet and hand the money over to another country. So Uk birds will be slaughtered and no doubt burned.

All to hide the failings of his appalling government. It’s just getting worse and worse.

"

the tory government will doubtless spend far more continuously mopping up the perpetual mess they have been making and will make than they would've spent to build an infrastructure that is UK owned which is capable of withstanding such turmoil. alas their market driven ideology prevents them from building a secure environment for the future of the country.

By *exy_HornyCouple  over a year ago

Leigh

Hopefully the fuel stations will re-stock over the next few weeks. We'll probably need fuel in a month or so.

Only filled the car once so far, when we bought it in July. At this rate it will be Christmas before it is run in.

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

Seen people taking all this as a fuel shortage. It isn’t. There’s plenty of fuel just not enough HGV drivers to deliver it to petrol stations.

The media have whipped it up causing panic buying and a self fulfilling prophecy as now, where we live at least, only one out of seven petrol stations had any fuel left!

the government have sat on their hands and failed to deal with what was easliy predictable. the nay sayers will find it simpler to blame the people though rather than those in charge of effectively managing the environment in which the industry operates.

Manchester

I do agree they are too expensive but government rents add to the high prices.

Self respecting truckers don’t fill up at motorway services unless they really have to, trucking is a narrow margins industry so paying over the odds for fuel is a no no. "

Ha ha is that right?.

Look up shell, key fuels, BP Cards etc. You can buy at a bulk rate and be supplied by the nations forecourts. Only the much larger hauliers tend to carry their own bunker fuel where they have 24hr security and get through a lot of fuel justifying tanker deliveries. Some small do but not many.

Holding 50,000 -100,000 litres in a lock up yard is high risk. If you catch anyone stealing just after the fact you’re stuffed as you can’t prove it’s your diesel. It’s also bad cash flow for many as it’s a lot of money tied up in advance. Small hauliers can’t always get the credit for bulk deliveries either. Also trucks doing 10mpg need to hold a lot of fuel to get to and from somewhere distant which weighs a lot so they tend to you've guessed it use smaller, lighter tanks and fuel up while away. Self respecting indeed.

"with that im off down the pub before the co2 runs out and theres no more beer. "

Meh, just have a cocktail, you'll be fine

Looks like they will be ‘relaxing visas’ so foreign truck drivers can fill the gap? I wonder why

By *amish SMan  over a year ago

Eastleigh

This country has to sort itself out, we just can't go on relying on cheap Eastern European labour.

If there is big resetting of the UK economy and the way we live then I'm all for it. Yes, it will be a bitter pill to swallow, but if things resort to a sensible level then I'm all for it.

Wages need to meet the cost of living, something must give. Just like those near me trying to sell a 4 bed semi for nearly 600K.

Personally, the government should sit back and let economic factors work whether it will be increased wages or recession.

The reason members of the haulage industry are calling for cheap foreign drivers is just greed for company profit, not the good of the nation.

"Looks like they will be ‘relaxing visas’ so foreign truck drivers can fill the gap"

if they do then that is an admission that brexit is to blame.

Manchester

"This country has to sort itself out, we just can't go on relying on cheap Eastern European labour.

If there is big resetting of the UK economy and the way we live then I'm all for it. Yes, it will be a bitter pill to swallow, but if things resort to a sensible level then I'm all for it.

Wages need to meet the cost of living, something must give. Just like those near me trying to sell a 4 bed semi for nearly 600K.

Personally, the government should sit back and let economic factors work whether it will be increased wages or recession.

The reason members of the haulage industry are calling for cheap foreign drivers is just greed for company profit, not the good of the nation. "

You obviously have no knowledge of the industry but carry on with your ill-informed rant. The people who hold hgv licences prefer to work for less wages as forklift drivers etc because they can be home each day and not away for four nights a week. Also nowhere to shower and use toilets. It’s a shit job and nothing to do with cheap labour as the shortage existed with foreign drivers still, so wages should have risen years ago. They didn’t rise because there is no money in the business. Ask why things are so cheap in supermarkets ! It’s because they bully suppliers into lower rates constantly.

The industry is the scapegoat for incompetent short sighted industrial and retail management in this country. “I know let’s chat our haulage costs that will help our profits!” New industrial estate?? Let’s not waste money on parking for trucks as that will cost. Close the truck stops reduce parking at services and then close the lay byes but move the trucks on when they try to park elsewhere. They are reaping what they sowed for years and years.

Our international drivers didn’t like working in the U.K. and couldn’t wait until we sent them abroad where facilities are part of the infrastructure and plentiful..

Manchester

Not chat… cut our haulage costs

Brighton

Road Haulage Assoc survey of reasons for why HGV drivers were leaving. Top three answers by some margin:

1. Retiring

2. Brexit/leaving EU

3. IR35 impact on self employed

Actual pay/salary was down at 5th and Covid 6th but both quite far behind top three reasons.

By *erry bull1Man  over a year ago

doncaster

During our home in the eu a lot of companies favoured European drivers on low pay thus English drivers found alternate employment

. The eu imposed a law that all drivers must completed a driver cpc which can cost a driver £ 500 plus to get his cpc card ,

Drivers are expected to work 15 hour days 3 days a week then sleep 9 hours in a layby before continuing the next days work , no wider drivers are leaving the industry , in 2 years I retire and will be thankful to see the arse end of a truck , I hope you all enjoy listening to the media and panic buying petrol and food oh don’t forget the turkeys will not be in the shops at Christmas because the lorry driver shortage

"During our home in the eu a lot of companies favoured European drivers on low pay thus English drivers found alternate employment

. The eu imposed a law that all drivers must completed a driver cpc which can cost a driver £ 500 plus to get his cpc card ,

Drivers are expected to work 15 hour days 3 days a week then sleep 9 hours in a layby before continuing the next days work , no wider drivers are leaving the industry , in 2 years I retire and will be thankful to see the arse end of a truck , I hope you all enjoy listening to the media and panic buying petrol and food oh don’t forget the turkeys will not be in the shops at Christmas because the lorry driver shortage "

Im with you on this one. I pscked in lorry driving 5 yesrs ago.

I miss the actual driving as i enjoyed it but hated the rest of it and getting pissed about by management and work conditions.

The one thing that needs sorting is proper rest stops that provide amenities and security at night.

By *sianmale89Man  over a year ago

Stockport

"BP are to ration fuel due to HGV driver shortages, this is going well, "

Not a good look indeed, first certain food shortages in supermarkets etc and prior to that shortage off labour in certain sectors/long truck queues and now this..

One could argue it’s a media made hysteria like In the past when there was a supposed petrol shortage and people were panic buying…

Another point could be it’s temporary shortages at some petrol stations around the nation till it picks up again or an increase in skilled drivers comes through…..end result is the same really though there are some grim times ahead (just my take on it)

By *arakiss12TV/TS  over a year ago

Bedford

Ever been in a disaster in movie and totally oblivious to what is going on.

That was my Friday evening.

Took my mum and sister out for a meal, on the way to the pub saw a big que of traffic, thought must be the usual Friday evening smash up, went round the houses had the meal. On the way home pass the BP petrol station and the que. Wtf, I've got 64 miles of petrol to get my sister home and and get back 80 mile round trip.

Asda closed ques everywhere. Finally after a 1 and a half HR que I got some petrol, chaos at the pumps and roads, meanwhile I'm hearing no need to panic by by some politician on the radio. A406 ques at garages or totally closed.

Wtf.

All those dudes in German diesels are gonna be sitting on the driveways full of fuel all friggin weekend. Really

Bedford

[Removed by poster at 25/09/21 04:31:11]

Bedford

[Removed by poster at 25/09/21 04:33:55]

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Yeah interesting seeing people panic buying fuel, I think they are all DM readers or some other right wing rag, this is probably the main cause of this situation, just like they were with the toilet paper crisis.

What makes people go mental? There is plenty of fuel, its just in the refinery it might take a little longer to arrive somewhere.

Clearly some of the British public cannot “keep calm and carry on”

"Yeah interesting seeing people panic buying fuel, I think they are all DM readers or some other right wing rag, this is probably the main cause of this situation, just like they were with the toilet paper crisis.

What makes people go mental? There is plenty of fuel, its just in the refinery it might take a little longer to arrive somewhere.

Clearly some of the British public cannot “keep calm and carry on”"

Yep i agree, selfishness and greed seems to be the order of things, seen some morons filling multiple petrol cans.

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

"Yeah interesting seeing people panic buying fuel, I think they are all DM readers or some other right wing rag, this is probably the main cause of this situation, just like they were with the toilet paper crisis.

Yep i agree, selfishness and greed seems to be the order of things, seen some morons filling multiple petrol cans. "

have u only just noticed the selfishness and greed?have your eyes been shut the last couple of decades

Yep i agree, selfishness and greed seems to be the order of things, seen some morons filling multiple petrol cans. have u only just noticed the selfishness and greed?have your eyes been shut the last couple of decades"

No, i spotted it in the 1980s when i was an a&e nurse when the thatcherite government got to work

This and other examples of so called shortages certainly isn't helped by the media.

It also shows the less attractive facet to human nature the tories value.

By *oldswarriorMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

Getting my ADR refresher on Monday and getting back in the seat for the next couple of weeks whilst I'm on leave.

borehamwood

Yep i agree, selfishness and greed seems to be the order of things, seen some morons filling multiple petrol cans. have u only just noticed the selfishness and greed?have your eyes been shut the last couple of decades

No, i spotted it in the 1980s when i was an a&e nurse when the thatcherite government got to work"

and carried on under the last labour goverment we had then with the con/libs and now again with the torys,notice anything yet? No matter what party is in charge nothing ever changes

By *drianukMan  over a year ago

Spain, Lancs

People need to remember that price is an economic signal.

When the price of labour increases...as it is now due to labour shortage...it attracts more labour in that direction. Eventually the market will reach equilibrium again.

The EU encouraged bad bosses to import cheap labour and force UK drivers out of the market. That is now unwinding, albeit bad bosses and their Remainer puppets are hoping to whip up fear so they can get more overseas labour to avoid paying properly

North West

"

Yep i agree, selfishness and greed seems to be the order of things, seen some morons filling multiple petrol cans. "

Just because people are filling Jerry cans doesn’t make them morons. You have no idea why they are filling them.

Motorcycle racing

Car racing

Paramotoring

Flying

Boating

Generator fuel

I am sure there are more.

I know a guy who owns a microlight field and every morning as he has for the last decade or so, he fills 15 Jerry cans on his way to a days work of instructing and renting out. This morning two guys threatened to beat him up and accused him of hoarding, it took the garage owner to come out and calm the situation.

near ipswich

"

Yep i agree, selfishness and greed seems to be the order of things, seen some morons filling multiple petrol cans.

Just because people are filling Jerry cans doesn’t make them morons. You have no idea why they are filling them.

Motorcycle racing

Car racing

Paramotoring

Flying

Boating

Generator fuel

I know a guy who owns a microlight field and every morning as he has for the last decade or so, he fills 15 Jerry cans on his way to a days work of instructing and renting out. This morning two guys threatened to beat him up and accused him of hoarding, it took the garage owner to come out and calm the situation."

This is what happens when you get morons panic buying and once again the media are responsible.

Brighton

While there may be some genuine jerry can fillers (have to say it is years since I last saw someone fill a jerry can) I would surmise that the majority of bell ends filling up jerry cans are the same people who bought 100 toilet rolls last year!

there seem to be more than a few who are attacking panic buying on one hand and on the other they defended the tory governmental panic buying of ppe, vaccines, etc etc to the detrement of others throughout the covid epidemic. how hypocritical.

near ipswich

"there seem to be more than a few who are attacking panic buying on one hand and on the other they defended the tory governmental panic buying of ppe, vaccines, etc etc to the detrement of others throughout the covid epidemic. how hypocritical. "
you do spout some rubbish sometimes how are they even comparable?

By *erry and SteveCouple (MM)  over a year ago

Caerphilly

***News Flash***

UK Sperm Banks are running low as every wanker in the UK is currently at a Petrol Station!!

By *uddy laneMan  over a year ago

dudley

It reminds me of that famous radio broadcast of 1938.

They would run to the hills, little exercises the masters play, people are easy to control when you know how they think and react.

"you do spout some rubbish sometimes how are they even comparable?"

oh. more far-righty personal attacks, no surprise there. on point 2, you above all people should know.

near ipswich

"you do spout some rubbish sometimes how are they even comparable?

oh. more far-righty personal attacks, no surprise there. on point 2, you above all people should know. "

Not a personal attack just a fact how do you compare buying ppe and vaccines for the citizens of the uk to panic buying petrol? please explain that to me.

borehamwood

oh. more far-righty personal attacks, no surprise there. on point 2, you above all people should know. "

personal attacks pmsl says the person who accuses anyone not agreeing with him far righty,

By *drianukMan  over a year ago

Spain, Lancs

Are these dishonest, personal attacks allowed on here?

By *azylivingMan  over a year ago

swansea / Bristol

And the prices on the motorway forecourt don’t reflect that

[Removed by poster at 25/09/21 19:24:42]

"

Motorcycle racing

Car racing

Paramotoring

Flying

Boating

Generator fuel

I know a guy who owns a microlight field and every morning as he has for the last decade or so, he fills 15 Jerry cans on his way to a days work of instructing and renting out. This morning two guys threatened to beat him up and accused him of hoarding, it took the garage owner to come out and calm the situation."

Ah right, so he's filling multiple petrol cans at the garage when there's a supply shortage queues of people exacerbating the situation?! Not the best idea, ok let everyone fill multiple petrol cans, no limits

By *ebbie69Couple  over a year ago

milton keynes

Whilst in the supermarket looking out at the Que at the petrol station I got to wondering what has changed this last week to cause the problem with BP which has snowballed. I know about the driver shortage but that's been a problem for a while without this problem. I assume that petrol stations need regular delivers so how did they cope in the previous months but can't now. So far my only theory is that the BP drivers have left to either retire or work for another business. Does anyone know what sparked this?

Caerphilly

"Whilst in the supermarket looking out at the Que at the petrol station I got to wondering what has changed this last week to cause the problem with BP which has snowballed. I know about the driver shortage but that's been a problem for a while without this problem. I assume that petrol stations need regular delivers so how did they cope in the previous months but can't now. So far my only theory is that the BP drivers have left to either retire or work for another business. Does anyone know what sparked this?"

Mainly the government saying “Don’t panic buy”…..so The Great British Public go into mass hysteria mode!

"Whilst in the supermarket looking out at the Que at the petrol station I got to wondering what has changed this last week to cause the problem with BP which has snowballed. I know about the driver shortage but that's been a problem for a while without this problem. I assume that petrol stations need regular delivers so how did they cope in the previous months but can't now. So far my only theory is that the BP drivers have left to either retire or work for another business. Does anyone know what sparked this?"

Irresponsible news reporting.

We could have got by if it wasn't sensationalised. Judt takes one or two morons and the snowball to affect panic buying

milton keynes

"Whilst in the supermarket looking out at the Que at the petrol station I got to wondering what has changed this last week to cause the problem with BP which has snowballed. I know about the driver shortage but that's been a problem for a while without this problem. I assume that petrol stations need regular delivers so how did they cope in the previous months but can't now. So far my only theory is that the BP drivers have left to either retire or work for another business. Does anyone know what sparked this?

Mainly the government saying “Don’t panic buy”…..so The Great British Public go into mass hysteria mode! "

Sorry I may not have been clear. I mean what suddenly sparked the problem with BP this week. I understand the snowballing effect of it being spread on media and social media but how did BP manage all these months and then suddenly didn't manage.

Manchester

Good question.

Contracts are signed for years so there will be a ceiling of pay that the contractors can go to and after that they run out of cash available to stop drivers moving to Tesco’s etc. Tanker firms historically have had older drivers so maybe retiring is a factor.

What was a shortage has definitely been made worse by the media and the lack of trust in the government. Too many lies has lead to everyone thinking well that’s not true then .. panic panic.

Bedford

Insulate Britain are laughing their feckin heads off.

Manchester

"Whilst in the supermarket looking out at the Que at the petrol station I got to wondering what has changed this last week to cause the problem with BP which has snowballed. I know about the driver shortage but that's been a problem for a while without this problem. I assume that petrol stations need regular delivers so how did they cope in the previous months but can't now. So far my only theory is that the BP drivers have left to either retire or work for another business. Does anyone know what sparked this?

Good question.

Contracts are signed for years so there will be a ceiling of pay that the contractors can go to and after that they run out of cash available to stop drivers moving to Tesco’s etc. Tanker firms historically have had older drivers so maybe retiring is a factor.

What was a shortage has definitely been made worse by the media and the lack of trust in the government. Too many lies has lead to everyone thinking well that’s not true then .. panic panic. "

Another is the spot hire factor where maybe additional capacity hauliers are losing drivers so when things go wrong there is no floating spare capacity to catch up. Again snowball effect.

Caerphilly

Even if we could get enough people to pass their HGV Class 1 licence, there still lies the problem that most companies can’t hire them because their insurance policies won’t allow them to employ anyone with less than 6 months driving experience….

North Bucks

The fuel companies and the treasury must be laughing their arses off with these panic buyers.

By about Tuesday everything will be back to normal queue wise aside from the minuscule amount of petrol stations that were closed.

milton keynes

Good question.

What was a shortage has definitely been made worse by the media and the lack of trust in the government. Too many lies has lead to everyone thinking well that’s not true then .. panic panic.

Another is the spot hire factor where maybe additional capacity hauliers are losing drivers so when things go wrong there is no floating spare capacity to catch up. Again snowball effect. "

Thanks jackal for the insight into a complicated situation. It is odd how it all of a sudden went belly up. I'm hoping given there is only so much fuel a car can hold that unless people start driving more then in the near future it will right itself though clearly the problem neads addressing.

North West

"

Motorcycle racing

Car racing

Paramotoring

Flying

Boating

Generator fuel

I know a guy who owns a microlight field and every morning as he has for the last decade or so, he fills 15 Jerry cans on his way to a days work of instructing and renting out. This morning two guys threatened to beat him up and accused him of hoarding, it took the garage owner to come out and calm the situation.

Ah right, so he's filling multiple petrol cans at the garage when there's a supply shortage queues of people exacerbating the situation?! Not the best idea, ok let everyone fill multiple petrol cans, no limits

"

It’s his fucking job. His livelihood.

By *azylivingMan  over a year ago

swansea / Bristol

"The fuel companies and the treasury must be laughing their arses off with these panic buyers.

By about Tuesday everything will be back to normal queue wise aside from the minuscule amount of petrol stations that were closed.

"

And the government will announce that with the end of furlough the economic bounce back had been great ‘just look at the retail index”

Manchester

Good question.

Another is the spot hire factor where maybe additional capacity hauliers are losing drivers so when things go wrong there is no floating spare capacity to catch up. Again snowball effect.

Thanks jackal for the insight into a complicated situation. It is odd how it all of a sudden went belly up. I'm hoping given there is only so much fuel a car can hold that unless people start driving more then in the near future it will right itself though clearly the problem neads addressing. "

I think it will take a few weeks to right as 30 million cars will now keep half a tank rather than wait until empty just in case. So 30 million by at least 10 gallons.. that’s a lot of catching up to do with less trucks.

"

Motorcycle racing

Car racing

Paramotoring

Flying

Boating

Generator fuel

It’s his fucking job. His livelihood."

No need for swearing. Everyone's got a microlight or speedboat by the looks of it

"

It’s his fucking job. His livelihood."

Fair doos, just saying it's not a brilliant idea to go to a garage and fill multiple petrol cans if theres a queue of people worried about getting petrol for themselves..

Bedford

It`s taken the fucking goverment all day to sort this out. announced on the news. What a bunch of wankers. Fuck me it`s the 21`st century.

Bunch of twats.

Bedford

Errrm, give foriegn drivers a visa, train new drivers all by Monday ?

Like the news says xmas - 6 months at least.

Fuck me, get Boris and his cronies out before they do any more damage. The fucking idiots.

North West

"

Motorcycle racing

Car racing

Paramotoring

Flying

Boating

Generator fuel

No need for swearing. Everyone's got a microlight or speedboat by the looks of it"

He owns and runs and airfield and a flying school. You saying that he should submit to mob anarchy when the Government say that people should carry on as normal??

His business was almost sent to the wall by Covid and now he should close his airfield because social media warriors say so???

Bollocks.

milton keynes

Good question.

Thanks jackal for the insight into a complicated situation. It is odd how it all of a sudden went belly up. I'm hoping given there is only so much fuel a car can hold that unless people start driving more then in the near future it will right itself though clearly the problem neads addressing.

I think it will take a few weeks to right as 30 million cars will now keep half a tank rather than wait until empty just in case. So 30 million by at least 10 gallons.. that’s a lot of catching up to do with less trucks.

"

Hope it's quicker than that but maybe wishful thinking on my part. I do understand that people may not go below half but unless they suddenly drive more miles that won't make any difference. In other words they are putting in half a tank twice as opposed to a full tank once. For the amount of fuel that gets used at petrol stations I don't think overall it will be increased over the weeks. Anyway thanks again

North West

"

Fair doos, just saying it's not a brilliant idea to go to a garage and fill multiple petrol cans if theres a queue of people worried about getting petrol for themselves.. "

He has done the same thing every day for years at the same fuel station and the Government have said carry on as normal which he has.

Is it right for the Government to wrong and for social media vigilante’s to be right??

On a similar vein, two local motorcycle hill climbers were shamed on social media today for filling 25 lite plastic tanks for their hill climb race tomorrow.

It’s complete bollocks. The Government, the road haulage Association and the fuel companies all say that there is no shortage of fuel, but social media “educated” vigilante’s can’t see any scenario but their own.

dudley

I will probably pop out later to the pay and go station.

By *ellhungvweMan  over a year ago

Cheltenham

"

Motorcycle racing

Car racing

Paramotoring

Flying

Boating

Generator fuel

No need for swearing. Everyone's got a microlight or speedboat by the looks of it

He owns and runs and airfield and a flying school. You saying that he should submit to mob anarchy when the Government say that people should carry on as normal??

His business was almost sent to the wall by Covid and now he should close his airfield because social media warriors say so???

Bollocks."

I find it strange that a petrol station would allow anyone to fill 15 Jerry cans _every_ day. That is a LOT of fuel to have stored in a single vehicle that is then driving on the road. I am sure the police would have something to say about that if that knew it was happening everyday.

I also find it strange that someone who is using that much fuel on a daily basis for 15 years has not invested in a larger storage tank at his airfield and filled it up at wholesale rates.

North West

"

Motorcycle racing

Car racing

Paramotoring

Flying

Boating

Generator fuel

Bollocks.

I find it strange that a petrol station would allow anyone to fill 15 Jerry cans _every_ day. That is a LOT of fuel to have stored in a single vehicle that is then driving on the road. I am sure the police would have something to say about that if that knew it was happening everyday.

I also find it strange that someone who is using that much fuel on a daily basis for 15 years has not invested in a larger storage tank at his airfield and filled it up at wholesale rates."

Perhaps you should pause and think about things that you don’t know anything about about.

First up… Commercial storage and distribution of fuel is colossally expensive.

Secondly - each of his two aircraft burn 12-15 litres per hour and he sells visiting aircraft fuel at a small premium. 300 litres soon disappears.

Thirdly, there is absolutely no issue whatsoever in transporting fuel in fuel safe containers.

Incidentally, there is a water ski school near to us and and those big V8 Mercruisers burn about 35 litres an hour. The guy there also buys his fuel at a local fuel station.

The issue really is that social media vigilante’s simply don’t accept (or maybe don’t want to know) that some people have uniquely different jobs/lifestyles/businesses to what is “normal”.

Cheltenham

"

I also find it strange that someone who is using that much fuel on a daily basis for 15 years has not invested in a larger storage tank at his airfield and filled it up at wholesale rates.

Perhaps you should pause and think about things that you don’t know anything about about.

Secondly - each of his two aircraft burn 12-15 litres per hour and he sells visiting aircraft fuel at a small premium. 300 litres soon disappears.

Thirdly, there is absolutely no issue whatsoever in transporting fuel in fuel safe containers.

Incidentally, there is a water ski school near to us and and those big V8 Mercruisers burn about 35 litres an hour. The guy there also buys his fuel at a local fuel station.

The issue really is that social media vigilante’s simply don’t accept (or maybe don’t want to know) that some people have uniquely different jobs/lifestyles/businesses to what is “normal”."

If you say there is no issue in transporting large amounts of fuel in a regular vehicle then I believe you. I do have knowledge of insurance companies and I find it very hard to believe his policy covers that unless the vehicle he is driving is suitably equipped and I struggle to see how they would be happy with him filling up that amount at a petrol station but if he has got that signed off by someone and they are willing to insure him then fair play.

Cheltenham

For what it is worth I have just looked up the HSE website and it states:

“You can store up to 30 litres of petrol in a maximum of 2 suitable containers in your vehicle. ”

So basically your friend is breaking the law and his insurance policy is invalid

dudley

"For what it is worth I have just looked up the HSE website and it states:

“You can store up to 30 litres of petrol in a maximum of 2 suitable containers in your vehicle. ”

So basically your friend is breaking the law and his insurance policy is invalid "

BOOM !

North West

So basically your friend is breaking the law and his insurance policy is invalid "

Who said that he transports fuel in his vehicle?

FFS - does everything have to be spelled out in minutia detail because vigilante’s have an uniformed opinion?

Land Rover Discovery towing a trailer with a wooden rig to hold and separate Jerry cans.

What on earth is the matter with you.

Is it so hard to imagine that people do things different to you?

300 litres of Mogas is nothing in a commercial environment.

Idiots.

By *ichiebigMan  over a year ago

nenagh

So basically your friend is breaking the law and his insurance policy is invalid

Who said that he transports fuel in his vehicle?

FFS - does everything have to be spelled out in minutia detail because vigilante’s have an uniformed opinion?

Land Rover Discovery towing a trailer with a wooden rig to hold and separate Jerry cans.

What on earth is the matter with you.

Is it so hard to imagine that people do things different to you?

300 litres of Mogas is nothing in a commercial environment.

Idiots."

where is this clown going with his land rover and all the spare fuel, as we say in Ireland, he is playing babby house,

Any Irish guys heard this

By *oldswarriorMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

Wrong

As part of a work/business activity, you can fill UN Approved containers for petrol which have a larger capacity than PCR 2014 for transportation and storage.

As for his insurance, his business type will have a section regarding powered flight. This will cover internal combustion and electric propulsion systems.

This then makes him elegable to transport and store fuel for his work/business.

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

I think people are missing the point, what these panic buyers are highlighting is that they are disrupting other peoples lives. Quibbling over the legal minutae of some weirdo and his clearly impractical fuel filling solution is pointless.

Again saw alot of people queueing for fuel, and the pumps are now empty.

Right wing media have a lot to answer for. Creating mass hysteria, an example of unintended protesting and the panic buyers are complicit and unaware, so evil this tactic is.

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

Love how the solution to this non Brexit problem is to break Brexit to bring in EU drivers you couldnt make it up

Grantham

"

Fair doos, just saying it's not a brilliant idea to go to a garage and fill multiple petrol cans if theres a queue of people worried about getting petrol for themselves.. "

Some fuel stations have limits on takeaway fuel.

My local Asda is 5l in a metal jerry can, or 2 x 2.5l approved plastic cans. Its clearly marked on all pumps

By *astlincscoupleCouple  over a year ago

Tinsel Town

"

Fair doos, just saying it's not a brilliant idea to go to a garage and fill multiple petrol cans if theres a queue of people worried about getting petrol for themselves..

My local Asda is 5l in a metal jerry can, or 2 x 2.5l approved plastic cans. Its clearly marked on all pumps "

I've just been to fill up. Petrol station has signs as you drive in and stuck to the pumps stating £20 maximum spend on any type of fuel.

Idiot still taking £80 worth and then arguing with the forecourt staff who unfortunately can't do anything.

By *or Fox SakeCouple  over a year ago

Thornaby

I solved the petrol issue by converting my car to run on "sovrinty"

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

"Love how the solution to this non Brexit problem is to break Brexit to bring in EU drivers you couldnt make it up "

Not quite true though is it?

Because they are visas not a automatic right to work in the UK.

the reality is that begging EU drivers to come back is an admission that brexit has been a failure.

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

"

My local Asda is 5l in a metal jerry can, or 2 x 2.5l approved plastic cans. Its clearly marked on all pumps

I've just been to fill up. Petrol station has signs as you drive in and stuck to the pumps stating £20 maximum spend on any type of fuel.

Idiot still taking £80 worth and then arguing with the forecourt staff who unfortunately can't do anything.

Not an idiot. A selfish fucker!

"

By *eavenscentitCouple  over a year ago

barnstaple

Boris got Brexit done , it's a mess

the warnings issued to the nay-saying brextremists have now been proved absolutely true.

Brighton

Good question.

Another is the spot hire factor where maybe additional capacity hauliers are losing drivers so when things go wrong there is no floating spare capacity to catch up. Again snowball effect. "

A problem further exacerbated by the complete and utter shitshow that is IR35 hammering self employed HGVs (and many many other industries) making short term contracts unviable for the driver.

IR35 was a Gordon Brown policy but the Tories have had 11 years, let’s say that again, ELEVEN YEARS, to scrap it and come up with a fair tax treatment for contractors. Instead Sunak ploughed ahead. Idiot!

Brighton

"Love how the solution to this non Brexit problem is to break Brexit to bring in EU drivers you couldnt make it up

Not quite true though is it?

Because they are visas not a automatic right to work in the UK.

"

What self respecting EU national HGV driver is going to take up this hollow insult of an offer? Remember how they were treated last Christmas? This government is a shambles.

By *ENGUYMan  over a year ago

Hull

"Even if we could get enough people to pass their HGV Class 1 licence, there still lies the problem that most companies can’t hire them because their insurance policies won’t allow them to employ anyone with less than 6 months driving experience…. "

So true! I've worked for a major Driver Recruitment agency in the past, and that spevific Insurance clause was the bane of our daily working lives. We'd qualified drivers each day trying to find work, but companies / potential employers were hamstrung by Insurance policies.

I've also worked within the fringes of the Trucking industry, as Operations Manager for a major Truck Stop in Essex for 10 years until 2006.

Shortages of HGV Drivers was a major issue then, all across the UK and to some extent across Europe. Add in barmy rules imposed by the EEC HQ in Brussels, which made operational life for haulage companies far harder.

Comments have been raised here about bad working conditions for truck drivers in the UK. It was chronic then, but our company was approached by a European Truck Stop Operator in 2001 who, having researched the needs of Truckers, recognised they could build a network of 45 Truck Stops around the UK at key locations.

We lobbied hard, got the transport organisations behind us as well as major haulage groups.

But the indifference of both Central and Local Government, Council's, MP's, and local authorities was evident. No-one wanted lorries in their area. After 3 years, the plan was shelved.

Today, nothing is any better. The major supermarket groups at their RDC's are as guilty, by denying drivers the use of toilet and rest areas - these are for depot staff only!

These supermarkets generally work on timed deliveries, but won't take into consideration delays en-route which can result in a driver arriving late through no fault of their own.

Often, the driver has to wait for ages or as I have heard, the load is rejected and the driver has to return to where the load came from. That wastes everyone's time, from the point of the driver, his company, and ultimately, the Customer who cannot see what they want on the shop's shelves!

UK HGV drivers are faced with so much red tape before they even get behind the wheel. No wonder there's a shortage.

[Removed by poster at 26/09/21 10:59:55]

"

Motorcycle racing

Car racing

Paramotoring

Flying

Boating

Generator fuel

Bollocks.

The issue really is that social media vigilante’s simply don’t accept (or maybe don’t want to know) that some people have uniquely different jobs/lifestyles/businesses to what is “normal”."

Rules regarding storage containers and limits are there for a reason And he should read up on them before being prosecuted or worse, a fire/explosion

Limit for carrying fuel in containers is 30 litres!, so yes he is a moron.

North Bucks

No queues today. Only one Tesco closed on my way down to Bicester.

Loads of quese road here, my local petrol station only has 2 sets of pumps available

"I solved the petrol issue by converting my car to run on "sovrinty""

borehamwood

Electric bike here or walk most places so bollox to your planet killing petrol,get used to it peeps because if you cant afford electric car in future in 10 - 20 years you aint gona be driving anywhere

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

"I solved the petrol issue by converting my car to run on "sovrinty"

"

I hope you that was unleaded sovrinty! Or better still, the emissions free sovrinty

wisbech

Well it appears the Scottish don't listen to there government either as they are now queuing for fuel too lol, the power of social media over governments, simply no contest it seems.

By *ony 2016Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

A solution that should help bring the country together,which can be implemented to help with any shortages at the moment ,which I think maybe acceptable to both the remoaners and the brexitiers ,,, let those who voted for the shortages ( ie those who voted leave) stand by their convictions , show that they know what they were voting for and these shortages are a inevitable consequence and therefore wait until the remoaners have purchased their goods before going to the shops and petrol stations themselves

wisbech

"A solution that should help bring the country together,which can be implemented to help with any shortages at the moment ,which I think maybe acceptable to both the remoaners and the brexitiers ,,, let those who voted for the shortages ( ie those who voted leave) stand by their convictions , show that they know what they were voting for and these shortages are a inevitable consequence and therefore wait until the remoaners have purchased their goods before going to the shops and petrol stations themselves"

Well if you think that would bring the country together its a good job you are not running it with ideas like that, it would certainly create even more division than cohesion in the country.

[Removed by poster at 26/09/21 15:25:46]

"Well if you think that would bring the country together its a good job you are not running it with ideas like that, it would certainly create even more division than cohesion in the country. "

cohesion was lost 5 years hence by means of such negative, untruthful, aggressive and hostile leave campaigning prior to the referendum

North West

"

Motorcycle racing

Car racing

Paramotoring

Flying

Boating

Generator fuel

Bollocks.

The issue really is that social media vigilante’s simply don’t accept (or maybe don’t want to know) that some people have uniquely different jobs/lifestyles/businesses to what is “normal”.

Rules regarding storage containers and limits are there for a reason And he should read up on them before being prosecuted or worse, a fire/explosion

Limit for carrying fuel in containers is 30 litres!, so yes he is a moron.

"

I think he knows more about his work than you do.

wisbech

"Well if you think that would bring the country together its a good job you are not running it with ideas like that, it would certainly create even more division than cohesion in the country.

cohesion was lost 5 years hence by means of such negative, untruthful, aggressive and hostile leave campaigning prior to the referendum "

Yet you think his idea would make things better do you? How on earth can what he suggested help mend cohesion in this country regardless of how many years ago you feel it was lost? It doesn't matter if you are left/right or straight up the damn middle his idea is divisive and is doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that.

" Yet you think his idea would make things better do you? How on earth can what he suggested help mend cohesion in this country regardless of how many years ago you feel it was lost? It doesn't matter if you are left/right or straight up the damn middle his idea is divisive and is doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that. "

i assume you are alluding to _ony 2016's post which was clearly a satirical lilt at the topic and should've been read in the humourous light in which it was so blatently intended; so no i couldn't possibly be seen as agreeing with a piece of comedic script that wouldn't 'take a rocket scientist' to recognise as seeing it as such.

wisbech

" Yet you think his idea would make things better do you? How on earth can what he suggested help mend cohesion in this country regardless of how many years ago you feel it was lost? It doesn't matter if you are left/right or straight up the damn middle his idea is divisive and is doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that.

i assume you are alluding to _ony 2016's post which was clearly a satirical lilt at the topic and should've been read in the humourous light in which it was so blatently intended; so no i couldn't possibly be seen as agreeing with a piece of comedic script that wouldn't 'take a rocket scientist' to recognise as seeing it as such. "

You should know what I am referring too seeing as you replied to the post. It may be humorous but it is still clearly devise also, and you are summising that he intended his post be taken as such unless you can read the man's ops mind.

By *ony 2016Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

" Yet you think his idea would make things better do you? How on earth can what he suggested help mend cohesion in this country regardless of how many years ago you feel it was lost? It doesn't matter if you are left/right or straight up the damn middle his idea is divisive and is doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that.

i assume you are alluding to _ony 2016's post which was clearly a satirical lilt at the topic and should've been read in the humourous light in which it was so blatently intended; so no i couldn't possibly be seen as agreeing with a piece of comedic script that wouldn't 'take a rocket scientist' to recognise as seeing it as such.

You should know what I am referring too seeing as you replied to the post. It may be humorous but it is still clearly devise also, and you are summising that he intended his post be taken as such unless you can read the man's ops mind."

, , , , , I don't understand why my suggestion is being treated as devisive , I am not suggesting that those who voted for the shortages are made to go to the back of the queue,merely that they accept responsibility for their actions volunteer to allow those not at fault to go first

wisbech

You should know what I am referring too seeing as you replied to the post. It may be humorous but it is still clearly devise also, and you are summising that he intended his post be taken as such unless you can read the man's ops mind. , , , , , I don't understand why my suggestion is being treated as devisive , I am not suggesting that those who voted for the shortages are made to go to the back of the queue,merely that they accept responsibility for their actions volunteer to allow those not at fault to go first "

Oh I think you do know why, and I am sorry but I have no interest in playing childish games, I am sure someone will come along and play soon.

Brighton

Oh go on then I’ll play...

As folks on the Virus forum delight in telling everyone CHOICES HAVE CONSEQUENCES.

While it isn’t the only issue, we do know from the Road Haulage Assoc survey that Brexit was equal first reason for lack of HGV drivers in UK (the other was retirement, next was IR35).

This was in fact one of the MANY things people on the Remain side warned about only to be called Remoaners and told it was Project Fear.

Well Project Fear is increasingly shaping up to be Project Reality.

So if you voted Leave and, as so many claim, you knew what you were working for, then your choice has a consequence. So I hope you are ready to own it?

Get to the back of the queue!

P.S. yes I know there isn’t a fuel shortage, but there is a delivery driver (HGV) shortage. That fuel sitting at refinery/depot ain’t doing us any good!

"Oh go on then I’ll play...

As folks on the Virus forum delight in telling everyone CHOICES HAVE CONSEQUENCES.

While it isn’t the only issue, we do know from the Road Haulage Assoc survey that Brexit was equal first reason for lack of HGV drivers in UK (the other was retirement, next was IR35).

This was in fact one of the MANY things people on the Remain side warned about only to be called Remoaners and told it was Project Fear.

So if you voted Leave and, as so many claim, you knew what you were working for, then your choice has a consequence. So I hope you are ready to own it?

P.S. yes I know there isn’t a fuel shortage, but there is a delivery driver (HGV) shortage. That fuel sitting at refinery/depot ain’t doing us any good!"

I agree,I voted remain and I am more than happy to get in the back of the queue when it comes to dishing out the Brexit benefits

excuse me, is this the queue for the rapidly tanking british economy or the queue for the rapidly increasing amount of red-tape?

"excuse me, is this the queue for the rapidly tanking british economy or the queue for the rapidly increasing amount of red-tape? "

P.S. yes I know there isn’t a fuel shortage, but there is a delivery driver (HGV) shortage. That fuel sitting at refinery/depot ain’t doing us any good!"

tbf this cock up could have been managed if we hadn't rushed brexit ... That's as much on the Tories as it is leavers ...

P.S. yes I know there isn’t a fuel shortage, but there is a delivery driver (HGV) shortage. That fuel sitting at refinery/depot ain’t doing us any good!tbf this cock up could have been managed if we hadn't rushed brexit ... That's as much on the Tories as it is leavers ... "

Rushed? It took 5 years

P.S. yes I know there isn’t a fuel shortage, but there is a delivery driver (HGV) shortage. That fuel sitting at refinery/depot ain’t doing us any good!tbf this cock up could have been managed if we hadn't rushed brexit ... That's as much on the Tories as it is leavers ...

Rushed? It took 5 years "

most of which was internal posturing and ireland rather than understanding the trade issues. It's only been a year since we had any clarity. And then pushed this through depsite tej backdrop of covid which changed a lot of things.

P.S. yes I know there isn’t a fuel shortage, but there is a delivery driver (HGV) shortage. That fuel sitting at refinery/depot ain’t doing us any good!tbf this cock up could have been managed if we hadn't rushed brexit ... That's as much on the Tories as it is leavers ...

Rushed? It took 5 years most of which was internal posturing and ireland rather than understanding the trade issues. It's only been a year since we had any clarity. And then pushed this through depsite tej backdrop of covid which changed a lot of things. "

I agree it should have been delayed, but there would never have been a ‘suitable ‘ outcome , it would have gone on forever

it was crystal clear that the whole process over the 5 years was not rushed, it was merely utterly botched by an ideaological wing of extremists within a party of english nationalists.

"it was crystal clear that the whole process over the 5 years was not rushed, it was merely utterly botched by an ideaological wing of extremists within a party of english nationalists. "

What if... There is no shortage.

What if... the fuel companies need to get their numbers back on track after a huge 2 year dip in sales?

Easy way to get those barrels shifted, say there's a limit to the amount available, have everyone panic and buy fuck loads of it.

Funny how even though there's a shortage people aren't being turned away from petrol stations.

"What if... There is no shortage.

What if... the fuel companies need to get their numbers back on track after a huge 2 year dip in sales?

Easy way to get those barrels shifted, say there's a limit to the amount available, have everyone panic and buy fuck loads of it.

Funny how even though there's a shortage people aren't being turned away from petrol stations. "

What if... aliens came down and beamed away a load of our fuel at midnight?

(2 can play at conspiracy theories.)

Bedford

Funny how even though there's a shortage people aren't being turned away from petrol stations. "

Right track, but I think the goverment is real culprit, they are taking in VAT and commodity tax on fuel.

The big fuel run con.

Funny how even though there's a shortage people aren't being turned away from petrol stations.

What if... aliens came down and beamed away a load of our fuel at midnight?

(2 can play at conspiracy theories.)"

Then we should invade their solar system and take their tech