FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > next panic buy

next panic buy

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ostafun OP   Man  over a year ago

near ipswich

watching the news tonight which will be the 1st to have a run on? quality street, bog rolls again or turkeys. i wonder which other companies will be announcing shortages to sell more stuff.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

Cookstown

"watching the news tonight which will be the 1st to have a run on? quality street, bog rolls again or turkeys. i wonder which other companies will be announcing shortages to sell more stuff. "

David Beckham says he can't get the ingredients for his aftershave

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

Cookstown

"watching the news tonight which will be the 1st to have a run on? quality street, bog rolls again or turkeys. i wonder which other companies will be announcing shortages to sell more stuff.

David Beckham says he can't get the ingredients for his aftershave "

Someone's taken the piss

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

"watching the news tonight which will be the 1st to have a run on? quality street, bog rolls again or turkeys. i wonder which other companies will be announcing shortages to sell more stuff. "

Probably as I went into Asda longwell green this morning and they had stacks of quality street

By *nnie2009Couple  over a year ago

Blackpool

I can do without quality street and turkey but not toilet rolls lol

By *isandhers691127Couple  over a year ago

Bournemouth

Bacon maybe

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

If we had a responsible government which had the foresight to expect shortages, then it would have been easily avoidable, instead we lurch from crisis to crisis, and the economy suffers for it, and to make things worse a regressive tax which will be coming in will make us worse off which will then stall the recovery, they are not capable to meet our current and future situations, we require responsible leadership and this government currently isn’t up to the job. Just slogans not actions.

By *irtylittletramp100TV/TS  over a year ago

Notts

i heard they were going to run out of lawn mowers! we'll never run out of moaning bastards and contrary marys .....

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

No need for ecpensive advertising. Just put your product on social media, accompanied by some panic buying story, and watch it fly!

By *uddy laneMan  over a year ago

dudley

The fish and chip shops will be overwhelmed when people realise there is a shortage of chips. I ain't codding.

By *rincessvenusCouple  over a year ago

Hull

weve got 2000 turkeys on a nearby farm and 1500 sold already

By *alking HeadMan  over a year ago

Bolton

Spaghetti. We can't get the EU workers over in time for this autums spaghetti harvest.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Lynx Africa seems to always be in demand at Christmas

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

The British turkey shortage was already predicted in the media, so some of yous might have to settle with one imported from the EU...

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

"The British turkey shortage was already predicted in the media, so some of yous might have to settle with one imported from the EU..."

Already bought my Turkey. I’m well ahead of the game. I’ve already plucked & stuffed it, on the big day all I have to do is kill it & cook it.

Sprouts are boiling away also.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Have a traditional Christmas instead, and have beef.

By *isandhers691127Couple  over a year ago

Bournemouth

Bull is the order of the day with this lot.

By *andy 1Couple  over a year ago

northeast

"watching the news tonight which will be the 1st to have a run on? quality street, bog rolls again or turkeys. i wonder which other companies will be announcing shortages to sell more stuff.

i heard they were going to run out of lawn mowers! we'll never run out of moaning bastards and contrary marys ....."

By *andy 1Couple  over a year ago

northeast

good job boris got 8 years of wallpaper

Notts

"weve got 2000 turkeys on a nearby farm and 1500 sold already"

Another brexit win

Notts

"Have a traditional Christmas instead, and have beef. "

There will be loads of lovely veggie butter nut squash mmmmmmmm

Notts

"The British turkey shortage was already predicted in the media, so some of yous might have to settle with one imported from the EU...

Already bought my Turkey. I’m well ahead of the game. I’ve already plucked & stuffed it, on the big day all I have to do is kill it & cook it.

Sprouts are boiling away also."

Yep eaten mine, people need to get creative

Bristol

"The British turkey shortage was already predicted in the media, so some of yous might have to settle with one imported from the EU...

I do hope you haven’t stuffed and plucked it before killing it

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

"The British turkey shortage was already predicted in the media, so some of yous might have to settle with one imported from the EU..."
blurgh turkey not eaten that dry bird in years beef boiled bacon or chicken on offer at ours at christmas every year

Bristol

"The British turkey shortage was already predicted in the media, so some of yous might have to settle with one imported from the EU...blurgh turkey not eaten that dry bird in years beef boiled bacon or chicken on offer at ours at christmas every year"

Same here I like to change it up a bit rather than doing Turkey

By *9alMan  over a year ago

Bridgend

possibly an elf shortage?

Bristol

"possibly an elf shortage? "

Now that would be a bonus

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

Cellotape, should be next.

Imagine the panic at christmas, when you can't buy cellotape to wrap up presents.

Notts

Immodium tablets?

By *mmMandyTV/TS  over a year ago

Southampton

I'll be telling the kids there's a shortage of EU vets to issue animal health certificates, so Santa couldn't bring his reindeer over the border.

Boris will recognise this as having escalated to a crisis when he gets back of his hols and issue 6 month visas to EU vets

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

It’s ok Grant Shapps is now letting foreign hauliers work their trucks in the U.K. for as long as they like. So our hauliers pay to stand their trucks idle and foreign hauliers take the cash and potential long term customers.

You can’t make this incompetence up. Is there literally anyone in charge who has a clue what they are doing?

Yes it will maybe help the supermarkets in the short term.. but hurt Uk hauliers even more. Brilliant just brilliant.

Just yet more smoke up everyones arse to cover up the core problems.

By *uninlondon69Man  over a year ago

Lewisham

Rumour has it that to make the foreign drivers feel more welcome, they will be allowed to drive on the right.

Bristol

"It’s ok Grant Shapps is now letting foreign hauliers work their trucks in the U.K. for as long as they like. So our hauliers pay to stand their trucks idle and foreign hauliers take the cash and potential long term customers.

You can’t make this incompetence up. Is there literally anyone in charge who has a clue what they are doing?

Yes it will maybe help the supermarkets in the short term.. but hurt Uk hauliers even more. Brilliant just brilliant.

Just yet more smoke up everyones arse to cover up the core problems. "

Solution?

"Rumour has it that to make the foreign drivers feel more welcome, they will be allowed to drive on the right."

Good idea

Manchester

"It’s ok Grant Shapps is now letting foreign hauliers work their trucks in the U.K. for as long as they like. So our hauliers pay to stand their trucks idle and foreign hauliers take the cash and potential long term customers.

Just yet more smoke up everyones arse to cover up the core problems.

Solution? "

Firstly no time limit on visas to attract more European drivers in the next few years. Maybe too late now.

Secondly suspend the need for the driver COC which will get a few older guys to help temporarily.

Then while they try to up the training programmes actually attack the real cause of the driver shortage and it’s not wages it’s how terrible the job is.

The actually driving is the easy bit . The traffic congestion is a pain but that’s years and years of under investment in our roads. Every transport minister stays for max two years as it’s not considered important.

Critical to drivers is how they are treated by industry and the government .

They have no provision designed in when industrial estates are built. No parking, No showers.

No showers or toilets at industrial premises. Wait until the morning driver!!! Where exactly?

Motorways service’s not secure . Not enough parking , law says he must stop!!! disgusting facilities and very few showers.

Can’t plan a stop accurately due to traffic congestion,

Absolutely no provision for trucks away from motorways on A and B roads.

New roads built with narrow lay byes which is as safe as stopping on a hard shoulder . No toilets no showers.

Few off road lay byes, no showers no toilets.

Food provision nationally mostly burgers and chips. Take healthy food , good idea but drivers who plan to be home don’t buy food to throw away. Should they stock up for a week? They may be back home every day that week? Or do they just waste money on some basic healthy stuff and guess they may need it?

Driver is 10 mins late at a DC due to traffic . Go to the back of the queue and wait 5 hours . He’s not getting home that night.

Oh and his times up but the nearest shop is five miles away so where does he wash and eat?

Wet wipes and a Mars bar for you son.

There are a few good truck stops but only a tiny fraction of what’s needed.

They struggle to be economic due to the amount of land needed. There will never be enough.

Councils should be forced to make provision in every town over 10k people for at least parking and toilet facilities.

The overall point is the drivers need much better treatment and support. They are never considered in any developments or new roads.

They leave because it’s getting worse and not worth the hassle.

Next time you take a journey on an A road, imagine you have 15 mins left to find somewhere to park a 16.5mtr truck. It has to be safe as that cargo is valuable and you need to sleep. Hopefully you can find food and a shower. It’s a lot harder than you think.

They can’t pull in to a lot of petrol stations that cars can to get food. Not enough parking next to that SPAR to get a salad .

The driver has to stop now because if he doesn’t he’s going to be fined!

I drove one of my own trucks many years ago so have first hand knowledge of how shit it was then and it’s ten times worse now.

It will take years to fix. Higher wages will help recruit but driver retention in the industry, that’s the issue.

Manchester

"Rumour has it that to make the foreign drivers feel more welcome, they will be allowed to drive on the right."

By *ostafun OP   Man  over a year ago

near ipswich

Just yet more smoke up everyones arse to cover up the core problems. "

As the Dutch transport representative said on the news today it will not make any difference as there is a shortage of drivers all over Europe.

Manchester

Just yet more smoke up everyones arse to cover up the core problems. As the Dutch transport representative said on the news today it will not make any difference as there is a shortage of drivers all over Europe."

It will impact a little bit as the European hauliers may chose to play politics and work direct for the likes of B&Q or Tesco’s to push the DHLs of this world’s noses out. They will charge handsomely for doing it though. But it won’t help going forward it will only hurt U.K. hauliers . Some contracts may be lost. The U.K. hauliers need drivers now not in a years time Now.

There are some massive haulage companies on the continent with 7k plus trucks .

DHL have about that number as the UK’s biggest logistics provider but they do in-house work mostly with their own trucks like deliveries for brewery’s or high value liner haul. They sub- contract the big volume and general stuff .

It's mostly media driven panic buying that causes shortages just glad I managed to get some brandy snaps and mince pies in before the rush lol.

Bristol

Just yet more smoke up everyones arse to cover up the core problems. As the Dutch transport representative said on the news today it will not make any difference as there is a shortage of drivers all over Europe.

It will impact a little bit as the European hauliers may chose to play politics and work direct for the likes of B&Q or Tesco’s to push the DHLs of this world’s noses out. They will charge handsomely for doing it though. But it won’t help going forward it will only hurt U.K. hauliers . Some contracts may be lost. The U.K. hauliers need drivers now not in a years time Now.

There are some massive haulage companies on the continent with 7k plus trucks .

DHL have about that number as the UK’s biggest logistics provider but they do in-house work mostly with their own trucks like deliveries for brewery’s or high value liner haul. They sub- contract the big volume and general stuff . "

DHL sub-contract the stuff they cannot make high profits from

Ask any courier who is self employed and they will tell you that most of the money is made by the big companies who have the contracts with the CEO’s lapping up all of the money while paying the minimum they can get away with on the pretext that it’s the customers who don’t want to pay.

By *mmMandyTV/TS  over a year ago

Southampton

The biggest hauliers in this country are the supermarkets, they have had front row seats to this developing crisis for years.

I am not aware of any supermarket that has begun any form of "in house" training for drivers, they just expect somebody else to sort it out for them and bare the cost.

its a crisis of their own making.

M

» Add a new message to this topic