FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > The Cost Of Living

The Cost Of Living

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *V-Alice OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

It's going to increase, substantially, for many millions of Britons.

Most of it isn't the Government's fault, a bit of it is.

Bottom line, we're looking at a UK where you can be working two or three jobs and be struggling to pay your bills - no matter how hard you work.

You could be a single parent, desperate to work - indeed, encouraged to - but almost every penny you earn has to be spent on fees for childcare.

You could be an industry - steel making, for example - facing collapse because your energy bills make you unviable; and, therefore, unable to supply your nation's critical needs.

Are we looking at a return to the poorhouse/workhouse for UK citizens, in the 21st century? Surely not?

What are we going to do when what a person has worked hard to earn, is no longer enough to sustain even a basic standard of living?

Certainly, I can just go into what might be called 'low power mode' - but that's easy enough for me, I'm on my own and I've survived it before.

But what of the vulnerable? The people damn near wiped out after 10 years of austerity and 18 months of Covid?

I don't know - but nobody elected me into power expecting me to come up with solutions.

That's the Government's job. I guess we'll find out if they're up to it.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"It's going to increase, substantially, for many millions of Britons.

Bottom line, we're looking at a UK where you can be working two or three jobs and be struggling to pay your bills - no matter how hard you work.

You could be a single parent, desperate to work - indeed, encouraged to - but almost every penny you earn has to be spent on fees for childcare.

You could be an industry - steel making, for example - facing collapse because your energy bills make you unviable; and, therefore, unable to supply your nation's critical needs.

Are we looking at a return to the poorhouse/workhouse for UK citizens, in the 21st century? Surely not?

What are we going to do when what a person has worked hard to earn, is no longer enough to sustain even a basic standard of living?

Certainly, I can just go into what might be called 'low power mode' - but that's easy enough for me, I'm on my own and I've survived it before.

But what of the vulnerable? The people damn near wiped out after 10 years of austerity and 18 months of Covid?

I don't know - but nobody elected me into power expecting me to come up with solutions.

That's the Government's job. I guess we'll find out if they're up to it."

I would hope the most vulnerable will be helped by the government, there's lots of potential trouble coming and no idea how it can be solved.

I doubt were all in this together, the rich will prevail, perhaps pul thier belts in such as 2 holidays to their Caribbean retreat instead of the usual 5

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

To be absolutely honest with you - most of this absolutely is the Governments fault, but really there have been decades to put the U.K. on a fairer footing and even Tony Blair didn’t do it.

However - this Government were the architects of Brexit and even after Brexit they sold off almost all of the country’s gas storage facilities. Knowing that that you relied on your European neighbours for energy and then wilfully destroying energy storage facilities is criminally negligent. Further, if Brexit was going to potentially do good in the long term, this Government were sat at the table and were able to negotiate longer transaction periods and waivers for sectors deemed “at risk” in the short term. They didn’t.

More generally they could address housing issues at the drop of a hat by introducing rent controls that limit rent across private and public sectors to a percentage of regional average salary. Making the housing market more favourable for U.K. citizens and less favourable for investors is so obviously sensible, it seems incredulous that no one has even tried to do it.

Who really cares about the tax dodging billionaires who own vast swathes of U.K. real estate when that land should be owned and under the control of ordinary British citizens?

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

There are too many private landlords in this country and not enough local government run houses.

Too much of this build cheaper and sell dearer companies have been allowed to take over prioritising private builds instead of social affordable homes.

This country has some of the best builders on the ground but are stuck working for big companies who hoover up all the money and build a minimum amount of council houses

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

"There are too many private landlords in this country and not enough local government run houses.

Too much of this build cheaper and sell dearer companies have been allowed to take over prioritising private builds instead of social affordable homes.

This country has some of the best builders on the ground but are stuck working for big companies who hoover up all the money and build a minimum amount of council houses "

I think 2% of houses were built by government/ councils last year. The rest is made up of associations and private but mostly private. The government claim they are building more houses than ever. This is simply not true. Housing is a huge part of our GDP and the government will not allow houses to drop in value. Building to fulfil demand will cool prices which is not what they want.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

They're not up to it. Johnson will lie, lie and lie. Get ready to be told that we are living in a golden age, we have never had it so good. The government are there for one purpose only, to trouser as much public cash for themselves and their chums as possible. When the situation becomes too bad they will fuck off to foreign climes to enjoy their ill gotten gains, leaving others to take the blame for it all.

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

Problem is I don’t see a labour government or any other party forcing more councils to build affordable social housing because they are scared of rocking the boat.

If sks was so interested in labour getting back in he would come right out and say it and tell the country exactly what they would do weather the big companies like it or not.

It’s about time one of the parties did something worthwhile instead pissing about.

All of these so called protected sites that are prime for building should go for a start.

Loads of places that can’t be built on because some heritage holds up works because it’s history.

Well people can’t live on history

Ayr

To be absolutely honest with you - most of this absolutely is the Governments fault, but really there have been decades to put the U.K. on a fairer footing and even Tony Blair didn’t do it.

However - this Government were the architects of Brexit and even after Brexit they sold off almost all of the country’s gas storage facilities. Knowing that that you relied on your European neighbours for energy and then wilfully destroying energy storage facilities is criminally negligent. Further, if Brexit was going to potentially do good in the long term, this Government were sat at the table and were able to negotiate longer transaction periods and waivers for sectors deemed “at risk” in the short term. They didn’t.

More generally they could address housing issues at the drop of a hat by introducing rent controls that limit rent across private and public sectors to a percentage of regional average salary. Making the housing market more favourable for U.K. citizens and less favourable for investors is so obviously sensible, it seems incredulous that no one has even tried to do it.

Who really cares about the tax dodging billionaires who own vast swathes of U.K. real estate when that land should be owned and under the control of ordinary British citizens?"

I'd agree that short term thinking, chronic lack of planning and lack of encouragement to invest are down to governments, stretching back over decades.

Undoubtedly, they have left the UK unable to respond to difficulties before they escalate to "crisis" levels; though I do think that's an overused word and it never applies equally - and almost never to the wealthy. That's probably why Boris doesn't think there is one.

I didn't mention Brexit because the Government didn't make it happen - the electorate did.

In order to divert from the current problems, the Government and their supporters will say "Look at the amazing job done with the vaccine roll out."

Well, that wasn't really down to anything they did - other than sign cheques - the experts were allowed to get on with it without political interference (unlike with PPE).

Sadly, for reasons of cronyism, ineptitude and political illiteracy, we've been left with a PM and Cabinet so far out of their depth - and so far out of touch with the electorate that don't vote for them - that they are flailing around and talking bollocks; rather than admitting there's a problem and doing something about it.

They're a lot like the Black Knight in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Ayr

They're not up to it. Johnson will lie, lie and lie. Get ready to be told that we are living in a golden age, we have never had it so good. The government are there for one purpose only, to trouser as much public cash for themselves and their chums as possible. When the situation becomes too bad they will fuck off to foreign climes to enjoy their ill gotten gains, leaving others to take the blame for it all. "

Agreed. They aren't up to it. But why aren't they asking for help or listening to good advice?

Would it kill them to do that?

New statement

How UK house prices have soared ahead of average wages

The average house price is 65 times higher than in 1970 but average wages are only 36 times higher.

By *uddy laneMan  over a year ago

dudley

The mortgage gets higher the lender makes more.

Stockport

They're not up to it. Johnson will lie, lie and lie. Get ready to be told that we are living in a golden age, we have never had it so good. The government are there for one purpose only, to trouser as much public cash for themselves and their chums as possible. When the situation becomes too bad they will fuck off to foreign climes to enjoy their ill gotten gains, leaving others to take the blame for it all.

Agreed. They aren't up to it. But why aren't they asking for help or listening to good advice?

Would it kill them to do that?"

Because they don't need or want help. It is working out very well thank you for them, they have power and are getting richer. Their chums that finance them are getting even richer. By definition, the people that are suffering because of their policies cannot buy themselves political privilege, hence are beneath their notice.

North West

"New statement

The average house price is 65 times higher than in 1970 but average wages are only 36 times higher. "

If rents were legally tied to the RPI and all property owners had to be registered with HMRC and had to have annual rental inspections and right to rent certificates - housing in the U.K. might just become affordable again.

Real Estate regulation in the U.K. is so in need of updating.

Stockport

"New statement

The average house price is 65 times higher than in 1970 but average wages are only 36 times higher.

If rents were legally tied to the RPI and all property owners had to be registered with HMRC and had to have annual rental inspections and right to rent certificates - housing in the U.K. might just become affordable again.

Real Estate regulation in the U.K. is so in need of updating."

Why would the tories do anything about controlling rents? They all make millions out of property.

North West

"New statement

Why would the tories do anything about controlling rents? They all make millions out of property."

I don’t dispute that.

As long as the general public retains a laissez-faire attitude to high housing and living costs, nothing will change.

It is odd though that people seem to readily accept high housing and rent costs in the absolute knowledge that this arrangement hugely benefits many Conservative MP’s and Conservative Party donors.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"New statement

Why would the tories do anything about controlling rents? They all make millions out of property.

I don’t dispute that.

As long as the general public retains a laissez-faire attitude to high housing and living costs, nothing will change.

It is odd though that people seem to readily accept high housing and rent costs in the absolute knowledge that this arrangement hugely benefits many Conservative MP’s and Conservative Party donors."

It also benefits many more people who decided to invest in property as an alternative pension. 5.2 million people in the uk own more than one home, now you are not telling me they are all tory mp,s or donors?

By *azylivingMan  over a year ago

swansea / Bristol

[Removed by poster at 12/10/21 16:35:58]

swansea / Bristol

"New statement

Real Estate regulation in the U.K. is so in need of updating."

I agree but the cost in more taxes to get the government man/woman out to do these inspections and the teams to do the administration behind that

There’s always a bottom line cost, every taxpayer shouldn’t have to pay for the select few

"I think 2% of houses were built by government/ councils last year. The rest is made up of associations and private but mostly private. The government claim they are building more houses than ever. This is simply not true. Housing is a huge part of our GDP and the government will not allow houses to drop in value. Building to fulfil demand will cool prices which is not what they want. "

This has been the policy of successive governments for as long as I can remember being on the property ladder.

It won’t end until it ends…. badly.

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

Always travelling

"New statement

The average house price is 65 times higher than in 1970 but average wages are only 36 times higher. "

But it still costs less to buy a house today due to low interest rates

Manchester

"New statement

But it still costs less to buy a house today due to low interest rates"

It costs less to borrow money not less to buy!

"New statement

But it still costs less to buy a house today due to low interest rates

It costs less to borrow money not less to buy! "

Still a lower TCO (it holds true over the term)

IF (it holds true).

Manchester

"IF (it holds true). "

Big “if” over 25 years and the rates would need to be at least a quarter of previous rates and not move to pan out. Not much chance of that is there .

If it was we would all be buying mansions .

But hang on wages have dropped in relation so you would be less able to afford as interest and the years increase.

Affordability is the key measure not the number .

North West

"New statement

I don’t dispute that.

It is odd though that people seem to readily accept high housing and rent costs in the absolute knowledge that this arrangement hugely benefits many Conservative MP’s and Conservative Party donors.It also benefits many more people who decided to invest in property as an alternative pension. 5.2 million people in the uk own more than one home, now you are not telling me they are all tory mp,s or donors? "

This includes me.

However the moral argument prevails.

Surely ordinary people take precedent over investors looking to make money out of them?

Ayr

"New statement

I don’t dispute that.

It is odd though that people seem to readily accept high housing and rent costs in the absolute knowledge that this arrangement hugely benefits many Conservative MP’s and Conservative Party donors.It also benefits many more people who decided to invest in property as an alternative pension. 5.2 million people in the uk own more than one home, now you are not telling me they are all tory mp,s or donors? "

No - but I am telling you none of them are on Universal Credit; and every single one of them will be able to pay their energy bills and be able to put food on the table and clothes on their childrens' backs.

These people face no "cost" to living. They'll be fine.

Why the fuck are we even talking about them?

"IF (it holds true).

Big “if” over 25 years and the rates would need to be at least a quarter of previous rates and not move to pan out. Not much chance of that is there .

But hang on wages have dropped in relation so you would be less able to afford as interest and the years increase.

Affordability is the key measure not the number . "

Wages have only been stagnant if skills are not in demand. Do we expect to be paid ever more for the same thing or do we also have a responsibility to maintain our own economic viability?

Manchester

"IF (it holds true).

Wages have only been stagnant if skills are not in demand. Do we expect to be paid ever more for the same thing or do we also have a responsibility to maintain our own economic viability?

"

If house prices continue to rise and outpace incomes whilst wages in every sector fail to keep up with even inflation then the result will be long term damage to the economy.

House prices are kept artificially high by the shortage of new builds. Despite decades of promises to build more the gap increases between supply and demand. When you realise that a great deal of our GDP is related to house prices and therefore our economic value as a country, you begin to understand why both labour and the conservatives put house values at the top of priorities to protect.

Why did Rishi cut stamp duty during Covid ? It didn’t save jobs or keep people working during Covid but cost a fortune. . It’s sole purpose was to stop house and therefore land values crashing. Who benefits most from that protection ? (Think Jenrick scandal). The last person to benefit is your average worker with one house.

25% of the Tories party’s elite membership funding club are property developers. I’m sure that’s just a coincidence. Hmmmm

Like I said above, it won’t end. Until it ends badly.

Manchester

"Like I said above, it won’t end. Until it ends badly. "

With Brexit, crippling debts and Covid I believe worryingly you may be right.

"Like I said above, it won’t end. Until it ends badly.

With Brexit, crippling debts and Covid I believe worryingly you may be right. "

There has not been a major / systemic scale correction for what? Nearly 40 years? House prices should have collapsed through the floor post GFC - and they should have gone down the pan during Covid. But time and time against here has been intervention / coupled by decades of supply constraint.

Remember when Tony B was in charge and there was all the talk about immigration caps and yet nothing happened. Process when through the roof then. People thought no way can they keep going. Yet 20 years later they are nearly 4x higher.

There will be a bunch of people discussing the same in 20 years time and little will have changed I suspect. Unless capitalism will have imploded by then.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"New statement

I don’t dispute that.

It is odd though that people seem to readily accept high housing and rent costs in the absolute knowledge that this arrangement hugely benefits many Conservative MP’s and Conservative Party donors.It also benefits many more people who decided to invest in property as an alternative pension. 5.2 million people in the uk own more than one home, now you are not telling me they are all tory mp,s or donors?

No - but I am telling you none of them are on Universal Credit; and every single one of them will be able to pay their energy bills and be able to put food on the table and clothes on their childrens' backs.

Why the fuck are we even talking about them?"

If you are ever lucky enough to get a second home i hope you get good tenants and not someone who doesnt pay their rent for months on end while you still have to pay the mortgage on it.Goes through several court cases to get them removed and costing £1000,s of pounds to do it and finally end up with your lovely place wrecked.It happens to plenty of normal hard working people trying to better themselves while putting a roof over someones head.

swansea / Bristol

"New statement

I don’t dispute that.

It is odd though that people seem to readily accept high housing and rent costs in the absolute knowledge that this arrangement hugely benefits many Conservative MP’s and Conservative Party donors.It also benefits many more people who decided to invest in property as an alternative pension. 5.2 million people in the uk own more than one home, now you are not telling me they are all tory mp,s or donors?

Why the fuck are we even talking about them?If you are ever lucky enough to get a second home i hope you get good tenants and not someone who doesnt pay their rent for months on end while you still have to pay the mortgage on it.Goes through several court cases to get them removed and costing £1000,s of pounds to do it and finally end up with your lovely place wrecked.It happens to plenty of normal hard working people trying to better themselves while putting a roof over someones head.

"

By *sianmale89Man  over a year ago

Stockport

Kind off like an ever growing wedge/gap between those who are well off and those who are living in poverty/destitution? Then again it will effect both in different ways

A great reset kind off scenario with an inevitable hiking up off taxes and cost off living continuously rising before suddenly things take a turn for worse?

Recessions, Austerity, Wars, Brexit, COVID all played their own individual part effect wise the question is what are the potential future obstacles and will they be a key factor in increase off cost off living?

By *ionaScarletTV/TS  over a year ago

Dundee

"IF (it holds true).

"

Maintaining economic viability gets harder as our technology level increases though.

To draw a decent wage, even these days requires tertiary education, which, at the risk of sounding elitist, not everyone is suited for.

When self driving lorries hit the roads, are we just going to tell truckers that they're out of luck and to re-train as software developers?

"

Maintaining economic viability gets harder as our technology level increases though.

To draw a decent wage, even these days requires tertiary education, which, at the risk of sounding elitist, not everyone is suited for.

When self driving lorries hit the roads, are we just going to tell truckers that they're out of luck and to re-train as software developers?"

It is indeed a huge challenge - and as you point out one that will get increasingly harder. Over time there has to be a case for some form of ‘citizen wage’ as not everyone is capable of continually moving up the value chain. And it is not just ‘blue collar’ workers that will be affected. Legal, Medical and IT professions will all face bug change.

Exciting times. Albeit turbulent and worrying too. Glad am not too far of retirement

» Add a new message to this topic