FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > MP Stabbed In His Constituency

MP Stabbed In His Constituency

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ercury OP   Man  over a year ago

Grantham

Reports that Sir David Amiss, a Conservative MP, has been stabbed multiple times, whilst conducting constituency work in Essex.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Hope he is ok.

Shocking.

Grantham

Correction to my initial MP. His proper name is David Amess.

He often stands up at PMQs and champions the cause of Southend to become a city.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

He has died, absolutely horrific

Grantham

RIP. He will be missed

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

It seems some nutter went into his surgery and stabbed him what the fuck is wrong with people? my sympathies lie with his family one minute he is at work the next they will never see him again.

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

So sorry to hear this shocking news.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

He was basically the backbencher’s backbencher! He was one of those that knew how to get local stuff done in the background….

Truly saddened

By *eanoCoolMan  over a year ago

wisbech

So sad to hear. what a world we live in these days.

What the fuck does anyone expect? Politics is getting more violent. Did you really think the hatred some have for the "right wing tories" was just going to be strong words it's a pity for the man and his family, but the side of politics that want "revolution" are happy to use harassment, bullying and violence.

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

"What the fuck does anyone expect? Politics is getting more violent. Did you really think the hatred some have for the "right wing tories" was just going to be strong words it's a pity for the man and his family, but the side of politics that want "revolution" are happy to use harassment, bullying and violence. "

Maybe wait till we find out what happened before starting with the blame game.

Newcastle and Gateshead

"What the fuck does anyone expect? Politics is getting more violent. Did you really think the hatred some have for the "right wing tories" was just going to be strong words it's a pity for the man and his family, but the side of politics that want "revolution" are happy to use harassment, bullying and violence. "

But actually he wasn’t one of those on the extremes of the party.. he wasn’t in the ERG, he supported TM’s brexit deal… he was a rare conservative who campaigned on better animal rights issues and he wrote the law on the banning on fox hunting!

So before you start the diatribe how about we find out who and what first…..

London

Awful thing to happen, regardless of the motivation.

Wow, you have absolutely no idea why he was killed , pathetic comment

By *ooliganMan  over a year ago

Preston

I don't know who did this or why, but those that sought to divide the country for their political ends have his blood on their hands.

"I don't know who did this or why, but those that sought to divide the country for their political ends have his blood on their hands. "

You have just contradicted yourself,

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

"It seems some nutter went into his surgery and stabbed him what the fuck is wrong with people? my sympathies lie with his family one minute he is at work the next they will never see him again. "

Indeed. The same treatment Jo Cox received five years ago. It was wrong then. It's wrong now.

Like all of us, he had his good and his bad points - but he didn't deserve this any more than she did.

I suppose, for all the UK's many problems, it's a good sign that we are all still shocked when things like this happen.

And we ought to be.

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

"It seems some nutter went into his surgery and stabbed him what the fuck is wrong with people? my sympathies lie with his family one minute he is at work the next they will never see him again.

Indeed. The same treatment Jo Cox received five years ago. It was wrong then. It's wrong now.

Like all of us, he had his good and his bad points - but he didn't deserve this any more than she did.

I suppose, for all the UK's many problems, it's a good sign that we are all still shocked when things like this happen.

And we ought to be."

This is very true

[Removed by poster at 15/10/21 18:46:31]

He was a homophobic bigot who constantly voted against taxing corporations, against higher benefits for the disabled, voted for a reduction of benefits, voted against gay marriage, voted against laws promoting equality and human rights, voted against free school meals for kids. The list goes on.

He didnt deserve to die. No one should die as a result of their political views. But contrary to what people have said here he was a typical tory.

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

"He was a homophobic bigot who constantly voted against taxing corporations, against higher benefits for the disabled, voted for a reduction of benefits, voted against gay marriage, voted against laws promoting equality and human rights, voted against free school meals for kids. The list goes on.

He didnt deserve to die. No one should die as a result of their political views. But contrary to what people have said here he was a typical tory. "

Don’t sugar coat it… tell us straight!

By *elkieWoman  over a year ago

Durham

Jo Cox, 22.6.1974-16.6.2016. MP for Batley and Spen. We’ve lost two outstanding back bench MPs in five years, on opposite ends of the political spectrum. If you make this a partisan issue, you dishonour both their memories.

"What the fuck does anyone expect? Politics is getting more violent. Did you really think the hatred some have for the "right wing tories" was just going to be strong words it's a pity for the man and his family, but the side of politics that want "revolution" are happy to use harassment, bullying and violence.

Wow, you have absolutely no idea why he was killed , pathetic comment "

There is a comment down below that shows exactly what people feel for people like him. I'd hedge a lot of money on one of them taking it into a violent turn.

But, I guess we will see.

"What the fuck does anyone expect? Politics is getting more violent. Did you really think the hatred some have for the "right wing tories" was just going to be strong words it's a pity for the man and his family, but the side of politics that want "revolution" are happy to use harassment, bullying and violence.

Jo Cox, 22.6.1974-16.6.2016. MP for Batley and Spen. We’ve lost two outstanding back bench MPs in five years, on opposite ends of the political spectrum. If you make this a partisan issue, you dishonour both their memories. "

The whole world is scarred with partisan issues. So many overlapping lines if hatred that it looks like a ball of wool. The people in the centre are the enemies of both sides.

By *uninlondon69Man  over a year ago

Lewisham

The same people that forced through brexit are dividing society, doctors being the latest target. The actual people who save your lives. Vilified by the ex-banker who is now in charge of the NHS.

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

whom ever is atacked in this way no matter which party they represent this is an atack on all of us on our democracy and our freedoms and Brittain is a sadder more bleak place tonight for it .

R.I.P. SIR AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE IN PARLIAMENT

By *anda and CatCouple  over a year ago

Our block list has got much bigger thanks to this thread. Some very sick blinkered individuals in here. No respect whatsoever, there are times when political point scoring is aberrant.

R.I.P. Mr Amiss

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"He was a homophobic bigot who constantly voted against taxing corporations, against higher benefits for the disabled, voted for a reduction of benefits, voted against gay marriage, voted against laws promoting equality and human rights, voted against free school meals for kids. The list goes on.

He didnt deserve to die. No one should die as a result of their political views. But contrary to what people have said here he was a typical tory. "

He's allowed to be isn't he?

By *mateur100Man  over a year ago

nr faversham

Tory scum was he???

By *ebbie69Couple  over a year ago

milton keynes

Desperately sad day. If you agree with his politics or not he had the courage to do something about his beliefs and managed to get elected.

By *topthepressMan  over a year ago

MANCHESTER

Does not help when MPs like Angela Rayner calls people scum then tries to cover it up by saying it's fine to call people that in the north not in Manchester it's not and that's not far from her

Leeds

There's a difference between calling someone scum and murdering them

MANCHESTER

"There's a difference between calling someone scum and murdering them"

Yes I know that but it creates a hostile atmosphere

near ipswich

"The same people that forced through brexit are dividing society, doctors being the latest target. The actual people who save your lives. Vilified by the ex-banker who is now in charge of the NHS.

"

Forced through brexit? you make me laugh the people actually voted for it yet you are the one who cannot accept it and are responsible for not accepting a democratic vote.

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Many people here are already starting the blame game, which is shameful, a man died in the most violent way possibly, leaving a family in mourning, a community devastated, and a country shocked. Whilst we may or may not agree with his politics, this is a terrible crime, what occurred was an affront to our democracy, may we all reflect on that.

By *9alMan  over a year ago

Bridgend

"There's a difference between calling someone scum and murdering them"

when I was a kid people used to say sticks & stones break bones but names will never hurt me. You can totally disagree with someone's politics but there is never an excuse for violence, intimidation, or direct action

"Does not help when MPs like Angela Rayner calls people scum then tries to cover it up by saying it's fine to call people that in the north not in Manchester it's not and that's not far from her

"

The right wing media along with Tory MPs called people who were against Brexit traitors and enemies of the state. These were plastered on front pages of papers such as the Sun and the Daily Mail. This led to the murder of MP Jo Cox.

That is very different from calling someone and their policies scum. I don't see any "left wing" mainstream papers (are there any?) calling Tories traitors or enemies of the state.

Again, this is false equivalence.

MANCHESTER

"Does not help when MPs like Angela Rayner calls people scum then tries to cover it up by saying it's fine to call people that in the north not in Manchester it's not and that's not far from her

The right wing media along with Tory MPs called people who were against Brexit traitors and enemies of the state. These were plastered on front pages of papers such as the Sun and the Daily Mail. This led to the murder of MP Jo Cox.

That is very different from calling someone and their policies scum. I don't see any "left wing" mainstream papers (are there any?) calling Tories traitors or enemies of the state.

Again, this is false equivalence."

To someone who is sick in the head hearing a major politican calling other politicians scum can set something off in there sick minds as was the case with Joe Cox

Ayr

I checked his voting record when I heard he had been stabbed. All of this is, sadly, true about him.

The reason nobody is mentioning his bad side - and, as I've said, we all have one - is because he's been murdered at his work. There's nothing to be accomplished by bringing it up. He's dead.

So what? Some may ask that question - but it's worth remembering that MPs, whatever any of us think of any of them, have the approval of thousands of people to be doing the job they were chosen to do.

Hardly any of the rest of us, who work, can say the same.

By *ooliganMan  over a year ago

Preston

Checking voting records is a bit politically naive. I’m no fan of the Tories but I understand politics enough to know there’s far more nuance than “he voted for this so he’s a bad man”.

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

"Checking voting records is a bit politically naive. I’m no fan of the Tories but I understand politics enough to know there’s far more nuance than “he voted for this so he’s a bad man”. "

. Voting record with no context can be very very misleading and none of those votes mark him out as “a bad man”

In any regard it sounds like an Islamist inspired attack, if true it could have been any MP, their voting history was of no consideration to the murderer. RIP Sir David, my thoughts lie today with his family and friends

here

"Many people here are already starting the blame game, which is shameful, a man died in the most violent way possibly, leaving a family in mourning, a community devastated, and a country shocked. Whilst we may or may not agree with his politics, this is a terrible crime, what occurred was an affront to our democracy, may we all reflect on that."

here

“David was a lovely man, devoted to his family, to Parliament and his Southend West constituency. He was well-liked by Members and the staff alike, and during his almost four decades here, built a reputation for kindness and generosity.”

Wow, you have absolutely no idea why he was killed , pathetic comment

There is a comment down below that shows exactly what people feel for people like him. I'd hedge a lot of money on one of them taking it into a violent turn.

But, I guess we will see. "

The police are reporting it was terror related, it’s always best to get the facts before pointing the blame

Newcastle and Gateshead

[Removed by poster at 16/10/21 11:20:14]

Newcastle and Gateshead

"“David was a lovely man, devoted to his family, to Parliament and his Southend West constituency. He was well-liked by Members and the staff alike, and during his almost four decades here, built a reputation for kindness and generosity.” "

If you want some sort of context of how long he had been in parliament for…. You have the “mother”’of the house, Harriet Harman, the “father” of the house, Peter bottomley, and then you had him!!!!

And he was never a minister… he was the local mps local mp! And he managed to get a lot done on a local level….

You think that mps need to be protected more, but you need to have local surgeries

here

"“David was a lovely man, devoted to his family, to Parliament and his Southend West constituency. He was well-liked by Members and the staff alike, and during his almost four decades here, built a reputation for kindness and generosity.”

If you want some sort of context of how long he had been in parliament for…. You have the “mother”’of the house, Harriet Harman, the “father” of the house, Peter bottomley, and then you had him!!!!

And he was never a minister… he was the local mps local mp! And he managed to get a lot done on a local level….

You think that mps need to be protected more, but you need to have local surgeries

"

He was an MP for the people...

Unless you are Gay, Disabled, a starving child, or a victim of sexual assault.

Shall we also mention he defended Harvey Weinstein and called his victims dubious?

Again, I'm not celebrating his death. An attack on an MP is an attack on our democracy. I'm just flabbergasted at the adulation he is recieving. He certainly wasn't an MP for the people.

Tin town

"He was an MP for the people...

Shall we also mention he defended Harvey Weinstein and called his victims dubious?

Again, I'm not celebrating his death. An attack on an MP is an attack on our democracy. I'm just flabbergasted at the adulation he is recieving. He certainly wasn't an MP for the people."

Probably best to ask his local constituents really.

The ignorance of the political system and the expectation that everyone must vote to agree with everyone is naive at best.

Perhaps we might dig through the last 40 years of the man who brutally stabbed and murdered him, and ask what he had done for this country if we wish to explore anyone's past in this terrible moment.

here

“David Amess was funny, generous and kind, a lovely person to talk to who cared and worked hard for his community.”

MANCHESTER

"He was an MP for the people...

Again, I'm not celebrating his death. An attack on an MP is an attack on our democracy. I'm just flabbergasted at the adulation he is recieving. He certainly wasn't an MP for the people."

Well he was an MP for his people they know his views and voted for him

Leeds

He was an MP continuously since June 1983 so people obviously liked him and his views enough to keep voting for him.

"He was an MP continuously since June 1983 so people obviously liked him and his views enough to keep voting for him. "

People tend to vote for the status quo rather than for their MPs views. Same reason why Theresa May has been MP for Maidenhead and David Lammy for Tottenham for over 20 years.

By *mma SwallowsTV/TS  over a year ago

Tullibody

"The same people that forced through brexit are dividing society, doctors being the latest target. The actual people who save your lives. Vilified by the ex-banker who is now in charge of the NHS.

"

People who forced through brexit.

You mean the 17.6 million of us? You are not that bright are you.

Tullibody

The gentleman, father of 5 and long time public servant is not even cold yet, and this is the bile you spew?

Labour politicians all agree that he was a soft, decent and honourable man.

I guarantee my pet python has a greater grasp of political theory than you.

If you have nothing good to say, say nothing at all.

Tin town

"He was an MP continuously since June 1983 so people obviously liked him and his views enough to keep voting for him.

People tend to vote for the status quo rather than for their MPs views. Same reason why Theresa May has been MP for Maidenhead and David Lammy for Tottenham for over 20 years."

And you feel able to speak on behalf of 35million voters and why they vote for who they vote for?

Perhaps may and lammy have retained their seats because their electorate feel they are their best option to represent them?

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

People who forced through brexit.

Be

You mean the 17.6 million of us? You are not that bright are you."

doctors vilified you mean they have been asked to actually see patients don’t you think they should then ?

By *ardiffCoupleNJCouple  over a year ago

Pontypridd/Rhyfelin

A wide range of comments here.

I openly admit I am probably close to 180degrees away in my political views from Mr Amess.

I am constantly amazed by the number of people who have no idea of the views of their own sitting MPs and how they have voted, but will happily re-elect them time after time. We are in an age when the vast majority of us will simply accept the first thing they read as gospel and are either incapable or simply don't care enough to find the facts for themselves.

We live in a democracy. A democracy that is very easily manipulated, and full of nepotism and extreme views IMO. That is largely down to an apathetic electorate. If you enter politics you should be prepared to robustly defend your views and opinions. When we don't like them we can vote accordingly.

However, I defend everyone's right to hold that opinion and to be able to express that opinion freely and without fear of physical attack.

And it's a very sad day when someone takes away that right. Noone deserves that and my sympathies are with the family.

Ayr

"Checking voting records is a bit politically naive. I’m no fan of the Tories but I understand politics enough to know there’s far more nuance than “he voted for this so he’s a bad man”. "

I did it because I'd never heard of him - and it's actually not as bad a guide as you suggest; if, as we are led to believe, he voted with his conscience.

Unless you mean to suggest he was some sort of glove-puppet, voting the Party line, whenever whipped to do so?

That's not what we're hearing about him.

Ayr

"Checking voting records is a bit politically naive. I’m no fan of the Tories but I understand politics enough to know there’s far more nuance than “he voted for this so he’s a bad man”.

. Voting record with no context can be very very misleading and none of those votes mark him out as “a bad man”

In any regard it sounds like an Islamist inspired attack, if true it could have been any MP, their voting history was of no consideration to the murderer. RIP Sir David, my thoughts lie today with his family and friends "

I did it because I'd never heard of him - and it's actually not as bad a guide as you suggest; if, as we are led to believe, he voted with his conscience.

Unless you mean to suggest he was some sort of glove-puppet, voting the Party line, whenever whipped to do so?

Tin town

"Checking voting records is a bit politically naive. I’m no fan of the Tories but I understand politics enough to know there’s far more nuance than “he voted for this so he’s a bad man”.

In any regard it sounds like an Islamist inspired attack, if true it could have been any MP, their voting history was of no consideration to the murderer. RIP Sir David, my thoughts lie today with his family and friends

That's not what we're hearing about him."

I imagine over a very long career he will have voted with the party whip and with his conscience many times. Its his and any other mps job. Hes been murdered. Not sure why it's even relevant.

Glad to see the labour party didnt go down the same road as bojo did with comments that were un bad taste wgen jo cox was murdered.

Both incidents equally mas bad

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

"“David was a lovely man, devoted to his family, to Parliament and his Southend West constituency. He was well-liked by Members and the staff alike, and during his almost four decades here, built a reputation for kindness and generosity.”

"

Yep seems he was the type of MP that actually wanted to help people and improve their lives. Must have been 're elected several times as proof the locals appreciated his efforts.

Manchester

Whilst David Amiss’ political views were in many ways opposite to mine what has happened is shocking and we should all be sad that yet another nutter kills an MP, father husband and friend to others.

I watched the Lisa Mandy interview on Andrew Marr this morning and what a well balanced and grown up interview it was.

One point was the truly shocking statistic of hate messages aimed at Diane Abbot . I’m no fan of Diane but bloody hell she had at one point aimed at just her 50% of all online abuse directed at MPs.

Our disgraceful media have a lot to answer for in Dianne case as well as our divisive political masters.

Not saying this is cause and effect regarding David Amiss but it needs addressing.

North Bucks

"Whilst David Amiss’ political views were in many ways opposite to mine what has happened is shocking and we should all be sad that yet another nutter kills an MP, father husband and friend to others.

I watched the Lisa Mandy interview on Andrew Marr this morning and what a well balanced and grown up interview it was.

One point was the truly shocking statistic of hate messages aimed at Diane Abbot . I’m no fan of Diane but bloody hell she had at one point aimed at just her 50% of all online abuse directed at MPs.

Our disgraceful media have a lot to answer for in Dianne case as well as our divisive political masters.

Not saying this is cause and effect regarding David Amiss but it needs addressing.

"

Have a look at the Priti Patel thread running at the moment. Giving the current circumstances and also what is directed at Women in general at the moment. We seem to learn nothing.

Tin town

"Whilst David Amiss’ political views were in many ways opposite to mine what has happened is shocking and we should all be sad that yet another nutter kills an MP, father husband and friend to others.

Have a look at the Priti Patel thread running at the moment. Giving the current circumstances and also what is directed at Women in general at the moment. We seem to learn nothing. "

To the point in the poster above... It suits some media agencies and outlets to feed the clicks. It's disgusting and whilst people have to take responsibility for what they post. Those that provide the platform and encourage hate with their deliberately provocative and often misleading taglines need to be held to account.

By *drianukMan  over a year ago

Spain, Preston

I'm sickened by the teddy bears, hearts and candles that always seem to come out after all terror attacks.

They are a substitute for the debate our society badly needs

Spain, Preston

Even the language these days is violent in politics.

We've all seen foul abuse of people who hold different views: bigot, knuckledragger, mouth breather, uneducated, nazi, racist, 'phobe' and on and on and sickeningly on.

People who drag us all down like this for political end need to look very closely at themselves

MANCHESTER

"I'm sickened by the teddy bears, hearts and candles that always seem to come out after all terror attacks.

They are a substitute for the debate our society badly needs"

100% agree

"I'm sickened by the teddy bears, hearts and candles that always seem to come out after all terror attacks.

Your sickened by ‘candles , teddy bears and hearts’ ??

By *lirty-CoupleCouple  over a year ago

Bexley

"Glad to see the labour party didnt go down the same road as bojo did with comments that were un bad taste wgen jo cox was murdered.

Both incidents equally mas bad"

Yet Labour's former shadow chanceller John McDonnell felt it was a good idea to 'joke' about Esther McVey being lynched and him wanting to assassinate Thatcher. Nice eh...

Ayr

I imagine over a very long career he will have voted with the party whip and with his conscience many times. Its his and any other mps job. Hes been murdered. Not sure why it's even relevant. "

You not being sure why I did it isn't relevant.

Nor is "of Somali heritage". Why even mention that?

Spain, Preston

Your sickened by ‘candles , teddy bears and hearts’ ??"

I'm sickened by them being substituted for proper debate.

Wasn't that clear?

Ayr

"Yep seems he was the type of MP that actually wanted to help people and improve their lives. Must have been re-elected several times as proof the locals appreciated his efforts."

You could say the same for Diane Abbot; who, as has already been pointed out, suffers a horrific amount of abuse.

Sir Lindsay Hoyle has called for an end to "the hate which drives ... attacks" against MPs.

He's said "If anything positive is to come out of this latest awful tragedy," he said, "it is that the quality of political discourse has to change. The conversation has to be kinder and based on respect."

Hope he's not holding his breath on that one.

Tin town

Trouble is robust informed debate is closed down if it ever starts up in the first place to be replaced by a trivial gesture that is washed away as soon as the next headline comes along. ... Happy clappy politics.

As in this case. The victims past has been dragged up and used as some kind of justification. Not a word has been said about the murderer.

Wasn't that clear?"

You can have both,

Spain, Preston

Wasn't that clear?

You can have both, "

But the teddy bears are used to crowd out proper debate.

The TV covers them endlessly for a couple of days then the whole issue is dropped down the memory hole without the debate having been allowed.

I'm interested in why you thought I was 'sickened by teddy bears' unless you too were trying the same thing

Spain, Preston

Trouble is robust informed debate is closed down if it ever starts up in the first place to be replaced by a trivial gesture that is washed away as soon as the next headline comes along. ... Happy clappy politics.

As in this case. The victims past has been dragged up and used as some kind of justification. Not a word has been said about the murderer. "

You've gone to the heart of the matter

Wasn't that clear?

You can have both,

But the teddy bears are used to crowd out proper debate.

The TV covers them endlessly for a couple of days then the whole issue is dropped down the memory hole without the debate having been allowed.

I'm interested in why you thought I was 'sickened by teddy bears' unless you too were trying the same thing"

You can still have both they are not mutually exclusive. Unfortunately it looks like David was killed in a terrorist act , preventing this tragedy is nearly impossible

As in this case. The victims past has been dragged up and used as some kind of justification. Not a word has been said about the murderer. "

Who in their right mind would blame the victim , this was a terrorist act,

By *irtylittletramp100TV/TS  over a year ago

Notts

[Removed by poster at 17/10/21 13:34:13]

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

As in this case. The victims past has been dragged up and used as some kind of justification. Not a word has been said about the murderer.

Who in their right mind would blame the victim , this was a terrorist act, "

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

"Yep seems he was the type of MP that actually wanted to help people and improve their lives. Must have been re-elected several times as proof the locals appreciated his efforts.

You could say the same for Diane Abbot; who, as has already been pointed out, suffers a horrific amount of abuse.

Sir Lindsay Hoyle has called for an end to "the hate which drives ... attacks" against MPs.

He's said "If anything positive is to come out of this latest awful tragedy," he said, "it is that the quality of political discourse has to change. The conversation has to be kinder and based on respect."

Hope he's not holding his breath on that one."

You could say the same about Diane Abbot and indeed many others. I was posting in particular about the person who sadly is no longer with us

Spain, Preston

Too much of the language used in politics... particularly on social media ..is disgusting.

In recent years we've seen people described as knuckledragger, mouth breathers, gammon, 'phobes'...code for sufferers of mental illness... uneducated, denialists, racists, Nazis etc etc etc. Words, that is, intended to silence people. Even cost them their jobs.

This is uncivilised. We can do better.

People who are guilty of this need to take a good look at themselves and reflect on how this gutter language and intolerance can lead to violence

By *eanoCoolMan  over a year ago

wisbech

"Too much of the language used in politics... particularly on social media ..is disgusting.

In recent years we've seen people described as knuckledragger, mouth breathers, gammon, 'phobes'...code for sufferers of mental illness... uneducated, denialists, racists, Nazis etc etc etc. Words, that is, intended to silence people. Even cost them their jobs.

This is uncivilised. We can do better.

People who are guilty of this need to take a good look at themselves and reflect on how this gutter language and intolerance can lead to violence"

Tullibody

"Yep seems he was the type of MP that actually wanted to help people and improve their lives. Must have been re-elected several times as proof the locals appreciated his efforts.

You could say the same about Diane Abbot and indeed many others. I was posting in particular about the person who sadly is no longer with us"

Diane Abbot is the longest running gag in politics. Everytime she opens her mouth, hilarity ensues

Notts

You could say the same about Diane Abbot and indeed many others. I was posting in particular about the person who sadly is no longer with us

Diane Abbot is the longest running gag in politics. Everytime she opens her mouth, hilarity ensues"

Well paid with a good pension though

Diane Abbot is the longest running gag in politics. Everytime she opens her mouth, hilarity ensues"

Her constituents disagree, that is why she keeps getting voted as their MP since 1987, does this sound familiar?

Tullibody

Diane Abbot is the longest running gag in politics. Everytime she opens her mouth, hilarity ensues

Her constituents disagree, that is why she keeps getting voted as their MP since 1987, does this sound familiar? "

By and large people vote for parties, not candidates at elections. Thats why when you ask someone who they voted for they say labour or tory. Not individual mp's. There are exceptions of course but generally speaking party candidate.

Her constituents disagree, that is why she keeps getting voted as their MP since 1987, does this sound familiar?

By and large people vote for parties, not candidates at elections. Thats why when you ask someone who they voted for they say labour or tory. Not individual mp's. There are exceptions of course but generally speaking party candidate."

Indeed, probably exactly the same with David Amess?

London

"

She's made a few fuck ups. But she has a relentless amount of attention and focus on her. Particularly from people who just base their sense of humour on what they've heard other people say.

Just to pick two other politicians, Raab has said some unbelievably stupid stuff (he "didn't quite realise" the importance of Dover for UK trade, just for one).

And then there's Grayling, who has fucked every job he's had in government and cost the country hundreds of millions.

Neither of these get the abuse and vitriol that Abbot does.

People can draw their own conclusions why that is.

"

She's made a few fuck ups. But she has a relentless amount of attention and focus on her. Particularly from people who just base their sense of humour on what they've heard other people say.

Just to pick two other politicians, Raab has said some unbelievably stupid stuff (he "didn't quite realise" the importance of Dover for UK trade, just for one).

And then there's Grayling, who has fucked every job he's had in government and cost the country hundreds of millions.

People can draw their own conclusions why that is. "

Yep, it does make you wonder?

Notts

what i wonder, why has how shit diane is, got anything to do with the stabbing of Sir David Amiss

"what i wonder, why has how shit diane is, got anything to do with the stabbing of Sir David Amiss "

Read the thread

Tin town

Not really necessary is it?

Tullibody

"

People can draw their own conclusions why that is. "

"A few fuckups"

Yeah, that says everything regarding your objectability.

Notts

"what i wonder, why has how shit diane is, got anything to do with the stabbing of Sir David Amiss

Read the thread "

No one else bothers on fab

Tullibody

"what i wonder, why has how shit diane is, got anything to do with the stabbing of Sir David Amiss "

Grammar is a beautiful sight to behold.

Notts

"what i wonder, why has how shit diane is, got anything to do with the stabbing of Sir David Amiss

Grammar is a beautiful sight to behold."

you cant swallow some bad tablet grammar but you can a mouth full of spunk! what is wrong with you

Manchester

Diane Abbot is the longest running gag in politics. Everytime she opes her mouth, hilarity ensues"

So you think it’s ok for her to receive online abuse and physical threats?

Spain, Preston

Diane Abbot is the longest running gag in politics. Everytime she opes her mouth, hilarity ensues

"

There should be no physical threats but all MPs are open to criticism. It is the basis of democracy.

Abbott deserves great criticism as she is so ill-informed

Tullibody

you cant swallow some bad tablet grammar but you can a mouth full of spunk! what is wrong with you "

Bad grammar is, quite frankly, distasteful.

A mouthful of hot cum on the otherhand... x

Tullibody

Diane Abbot is the longest running gag in politics. Everytime she opes her mouth, hilarity ensues

"

When you vote to disband MI5 and special branch, and you state that "every defeat of the British state, is a victory for all of us", you publically side with the IRA and terrorist sympathisers like Jeremy Corbyn then one may assume abuse will be directed at you.

Tin town

When you vote to disband MI5 and special branch, and you state that "every defeat of the British state, is a victory for all of us", you publically side with the IRA and terrorist sympathisers like Jeremy Corbyn then one may assume abuse will be directed at you."

No you're wrong. Abuse is not acceptable. It's toxic. Criticism sure, disagreement possibly, we live in a parliamentary democracy and thankfully we can have disagreements without killings and abuse. Very specifically re ira, major sat with them as did Blair...gerry adams is now considered a politician. I'm no fan of Diane Abbott but she doesnt deserve abuse any more than any other politician. If people don't like her they can replace her at the next election.

Ah so Dianne Abotts criticism is justified but we draw the line when I criticise this late MPs voting record and other things he said in public ok.

I will say it again, you can't be an MP for the people if you vote to lessen human rights, to make disabled people poorer, and to vote against giving children meals.

Notts

you cant swallow some bad tablet grammar but you can a mouth full of spunk! what is wrong with you

Bad grammar is, quite frankly, distasteful.

A mouthful of hot cum on the otherhand... x"

it was pretty bad, i should have re written the whole line but thought fuck it, they know what i mean... and only sluts swallow cum straight dwon, i gargle first

Notts

When you vote to disband MI5 and special branch, and you state that "every defeat of the British state, is a victory for all of us", you publically side with the IRA and terrorist sympathisers like Jeremy Corbyn then one may assume abuse will be directed at you.

No you're wrong. Abuse is not acceptable. It's toxic. Criticism sure, disagreement possibly, we live in a parliamentary democracy and thankfully we can have disagreements without killings and abuse. Very specifically re ira, major sat with them as did Blair...gerry adams is now considered a politician. I'm no fan of Diane Abbott but she doesnt deserve abuse any more than any other politician. If people don't like her they can replace her at the next election. "

why havent they?

Tullibody

No you're wrong. Abuse is not acceptable. It's toxic. Criticism sure, disagreement possibly, we live in a parliamentary democracy and thankfully we can have disagreements without killings and abuse. Very specifically re ira, major sat with them as did Blair...gerry adams is now considered a politician. I'm no fan of Diane Abbott but she doesnt deserve abuse any more than any other politician. If people don't like her they can replace her at the next election.

why havent they? "

Outside of blair, labour haven't won so much as a drinking contest

Manchester

I agree all MPs can be criticised and that’s how it should be. The criticism however should be in the public forum and related to the topic. The vile personal insults directed at Abbot and the threats of violence to her are not in any way a political view. They are the very lowest form of ignorant behaviour from ignorant people. Why don’t you throw a brick through her window while you’re at it??

I don’t care if she wants communism here she has a right to her view and any argument should be political not personal.

We have a prime minister who has overseen over 130k deaths on his watch due in part to his incompetence . That puts Abbots views into Angel territory.,

Do you think Boris should receive thousands of death threats a day on him and his children because that’s what some on here are defending as ok!

near ipswich

"Ah so Dianne Abotts criticism is justified but we draw the line when I criticise this late MPs voting record and other things he said in public ok.

I will say it again, you can't be an MP for the people if you vote to lessen human rights, to make disabled people poorer, and to vote against giving children meals."

The trouble with posting someones voting record is that without the content it doesn't mean diddly squat. Maybe the guy vote against these things as he didn't think they went far enough and another bill would be improved, i dont know but i doubt by your post you even considered that possibility.

Looking at someones voting record does not give a true picture of the person without the reason they voted.

Tin town

"Ah so Dianne Abotts criticism is justified but we draw the line when I criticise this late MPs voting record and other things he said in public ok.

I will say it again, you can't be an MP for the people if you vote to lessen human rights, to make disabled people poorer, and to vote against giving children meals. The trouble with posting someones voting record is that without the content it doesn't mean diddly squat. Maybe the guy vote against these things as he didn't think they went far enough and another bill would be improved, i dont know but i doubt by your post you even considered that possibility.

Looking at someones voting record does not give a true picture of the person without the reason they voted."

Whilst I absolutely agree... I can't see how any mps voting record is relevant at all to them being stabbed to death, or having their cars smashed up, their family threatened, their homes invaded, toxic abuse. If you hear what some of them are faced with every day. There is no justification for that. If people feel so passionately about an mp or candidates values, it's simple. Get off their arse and campaign. Trouble is that takes a lot more effort than firing a rock through someone's car window.

Remember when that twat threw an egg in Prescotts face? This is not a new phenomenon and it's getting worse.

By *ogerBottomsMan  over a year ago

Aberdare

Yep.

By *ogerBottomsMan  over a year ago

Aberdare

"Looking at someones voting record does not give a true picture of the person without the reason they voted."

It gives you a rough idea, though.

near ipswich

"Looking at someones voting record does not give a true picture of the person without the reason they voted.

It gives you a rough idea, though. "

But it doesn't without knowing the reason.

Tin town

"Looking at someones voting record does not give a true picture of the person without the reason they voted.

It gives you a rough idea, though. But it doesn't without knowing the reason. "

As an example.. There were a few voted against the upskirting legislation I think.. Not because it wasn't needed, and not because they didn't agree with the substance.. But because it hadn't followed correct procedure and that would set a precedent that could then be followed for other less desirable bills.

Tullibody

It gives you a rough idea, though. But it doesn't without knowing the reason.

As an example.. There were a few voted against the upskirting legislation I think.. Not because it wasn't needed, and not because they didn't agree with the substance.. But because it hadn't followed correct procedure and that would set a precedent that could then be followed for other less desirable bills."

Correct, was an elderly conservative mp, who was vilified in the media and across social media, for voting with his head and proper legislative prudence, whereas the rest voted emotionally

Grantham

Sir David Amess has finally got his wish, as, Southend is to become a city.

North Bucks

"Sir David Amess has finally got his wish, as, Southend is to become a city.

"

MANCHESTER

no sign of Angela Rayner in parliment today

By *mateur100Man  over a year ago

nr faversham

"no sign of Angela Rayner in parliment today "

I thought she was there? 2 up from KS but I may have been mistaken

Manchester

It gives you a rough idea, though. But it doesn't without knowing the reason.

As an example.. There were a few voted against the upskirting legislation I think.. Not because it wasn't needed, and not because they didn't agree with the substance.. But because it hadn't followed correct procedure and that would set a precedent that could then be followed for other less desirable bills.

Correct, was an elderly conservative mp, who was vilified in the media and across social media, for voting with his head and proper legislative prudence, whereas the rest voted emotionally"

Whilst I agree with the idea of what you’re saying I don’t think you can explain all his thirty years voting record as based on bad legislation. Reading Amiss speech in Hansard on women’s rights in regards to abortion and there is no mention of bad legislation just an extreme right wing catholic view. He would have been be happy to follow the Texas example.

He didn’t however deserve to die whatever his views were.

I will say it again, you can't be an MP for the people if you vote to lessen human rights, to make disabled people poorer, and to vote against giving children meals. The trouble with posting someones voting record is that without the content it doesn't mean diddly squat. Maybe the guy vote against these things as he didn't think they went far enough and another bill would be improved, i dont know but i doubt by your post you even considered that possibility.

Looking at someones voting record does not give a true picture of the person without the reason they voted.

Whilst I absolutely agree... I can't see how any mps voting record is relevant at all to them being stabbed to death, or having their cars smashed up, their family threatened, their homes invaded, toxic abuse. If you hear what some of them are faced with every day. There is no justification for that. If people feel so passionately about an mp or candidates values, it's simple. Get off their arse and campaign. Trouble is that takes a lot more effort than firing a rock through someone's car window.

Remember when that twat threw an egg in Prescotts face? This is not a new phenomenon and it's getting worse. "

I never said it was relevant to his death. It's in response to people on here constantly saying he was an MP for the people.

You cant blame 'bad legislation' on constantly voting against policies that are for equality and human rights for the duration of his whole career.

By *oolyCoolyCplCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle under Lyme

It's sad how easily people follow the media narrative that this man's killing had anything to do with people saying mean things to their MP's. Of course it didn't and anyone pushing that narrative is simply trying to stifle genuine complaints, of which there are many, about our political class.

It's clear the murder was done by a young man who was under the impression that he could further his religion by killing an MP. He probably picked this particular MP as Amess often held his surgeries in a local Church. Unfortunately, this young man is not the first and he won't be the last to hold such a level of hated to non-believers.

» Add a new message to this topic