FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Mark these words...

Mark these words...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *rFunBoy OP   Man  over a year ago

Longridge

In 4 or 5 years, I can see the TV ads already from compensation chasers.

"Were you been mis-sold a heat pump!!"

Yes, the technology is effective when ambient temperatures allow but useless when needed most. So, replacement of gas boilers for heat pumps at obscene subsididies costing £3.9billion is going be yet another expensive folly.

If offered that I can keep the boiler ror the very bad days of winter but spring, summer and autumn running heat pumps ,I would snatch their hands off.

This would reduce CO2 by 80-90% annually but I refuse to remove the boiler completely, leaving no heating in deep, cold winters.

Again, they are pissing up the wrong tree, wasting billions.

If considering one, be very careful as input of 1kw will produce 4kw COP heating on mild days but less then 0.5kw output on very cold days meaning it runs 24 hours a day for little heat.

There are cheaper more effective ways to reduce co2

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *urreyfun38Couple  over a year ago

croydon

"In 4 or 5 years, I can see the TV ads already from compensation chasers.

Yes, the technology is effective when ambient temperatures allow but useless when needed most. So, replacement of gas boilers for heat pumps at obscene subsididies costing £3.9billion is going be yet another expensive folly.

If offered that I can keep the boiler ror the very bad days of winter but spring, summer and autumn running heat pumps ,I would snatch their hands off.

This would reduce CO2 by 80-90% annually but I refuse to remove the boiler completely, leaving no heating in deep, cold winters.

If considering one, be very careful as input of 1kw will produce 4kw COP heating on mild days but less then 0.5kw output on very cold days meaning it runs 24 hours a day for little heat.

There are cheaper more effective ways to reduce co2"

Wouldn’t fit one of theses piles of crap as know from experience on the commercial side how poor they are in cold conditions

But the new ones about to be released are meant to work down to minus 20 deg C. How good this is in practice we will have to wait and see.

Longridge

They are great in milder weather but winter is another story.

I have reduced electricity CO2 ?by 80% and by installing one, no doubt have significant impact on gas emissions during warmer months but not complete switch over.

I use air to air heat pumps to pre heat on milder days using solar to avoid using gas most days except 3 weeks in winter. But there are days in winter that the pumps run where little comes out and this is the issue.

Leaving boilers installed for these days will significantly reduce CO2 and offset the remainder in other ways.

Next years project is solar thermal, again self funded.

Just don't get the drive for heat pumps when over 90% of UK roof don't have solar. Is it time to levy roofs of people who refuse PV.

Everyone I speak to about solar pv, gives the same response "there is no benefit to me" and getting boring.

Is saving our Climate not a benefit for generation of PV?

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

"They are great in milder weather but winter is another story.

I have reduced electricity CO2 ?by 80% and by installing one, no doubt have significant impact on gas emissions during warmer months but not complete switch over.

I use air to air heat pumps to pre heat on milder days using solar to avoid using gas most days except 3 weeks in winter. But there are days in winter that the pumps run where little comes out and this is the issue.

Leaving boilers installed for these days will significantly reduce CO2 and offset the remainder in other ways.

Just don't get the drive for heat pumps when over 90% of UK roof don't have solar. Is it time to levy roofs of people who refuse PV.

Everyone I speak to about solar pv, gives the same response "there is no benefit to me" and getting boring.

Is saving our Climate not a benefit for generation of PV?"

I live in a conservation village, and wouldn't be able to have solar panels, even if I wanted to.

Longridge

[Removed by poster at 19/10/21 15:28:37]

Longridge

I get many would be like yourself, unable or the building or roof was unsuitable.

You and others could be issued an exemption certificate if was the suggestion of a levy your response was to.

It was more aimed towards commercial. 3 years ago, I wrote to ALDI commending them for having the whole roof fitted with panels as is the Costa next door. They recently knocked it down to upgrade and be interesting if the panels go back up.

Their CEO responded that where they own the building, they install them, but where they rent it is up to the landlord and almost none have them.

Maybe they and others should refuse the building unless fitted as another ALDI 500 yards from me has none and is rented. Again, another planning application that should have been refused without them.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

To my mind, all new builds should have strict planning rules applied to them

No gas boilers and the emphasis to install the best green heating currently on the market.

Electric car charging point.

High speed broadband.

Solar panels or wind turbine if possible.

By *urreyfun38Couple  over a year ago

croydon

With solar it should be installed on all commercial premises.

How much could you install on a Tesco superstore

Got a building that I know of that put 260kw on its roof.

Should be part of every stores planning and offices that there should be ample solar fitted not just the few panels to meet a part of building regs. And should be retrospective. Want to stay open fit it.

By *ittleAcornMan  over a year ago

"

I think the "no benefit to me" quote is generally then qualified by, and I can't afford it?

It's not a cheap undertaking, with the returns taking a long time. OK, the returns for the planet are probably much greater, but realistically people have to eat etc. the vast majority of the population cannot afford to invest that much into the future when they are scr*ping (the filters saw this word very differently apparently) by today.

It has to be government doing this. It would be a lot of investment up front, but actually done right it would stimulate the economy, and over the very long term reduce government spending.

But of course, our system does not encourage government to spend now for future governments to reap the benefit. Where's the votes in that?

Longridge

"With solar it should be installed on all commercial premises.

How much could you install on a Tesco superstore

Got a building that I know of that put 260kw on its roof.

Should be part of every stores planning and offices that there should be ample solar fitted not just the few panels to meet a part of building regs. And should be retrospective. Want to stay open fit it.

"

Absolutely agree and they should be hit hard financially and by planning of they don't.

If you want to see something really annoying in respect to commercial building planning. Germany insist new buildings use 'passive" solar ventilation and heating on South facing walls.

Seeing these in operation is unreal. It's wall of Polycarbonate over the building and ad sun (even in winter traps heat) which then can mechanically ventilate the building by opening ducts at the bottom to draw air in to rise and if heat needed low consumption fans blow heated air in.

Jaguar - Land Rover just installed in factory claiming massive success and almost nothing in costs to heat and cool. Yet, been around for many years.

If interested, search YouTube for SolarWall. Again, more failure on the UK planning system which should be used to force adoption.

Longridge

[Removed by poster at 19/10/21 16:23:04]

Longridge

Another travesty..

Been to 6 High Schools this month. One has spent a fortune on upgrading buildings and grounds, claiming that the money saved on heating and power during COVID has been put back into the school.

Not one of the 6 schools, including this one had a single Solar Panel and quick maths:

30x DELL computers

2x Air conditioners

In around 5x rooms is 221kwh per day on power, 1.3MWh per in just 6x schools on my area. How many 100s of schools around the country?

Yet schools have the gaul to to teach kids about Climate change!!

This is only based on 5x IT rooms, excluding lights, offices, cooking and more.

They each have room for at least 150kw on the roof and at weekend, surplus can be used to heat hot water for the week.

Interest rates are low, so why not, as I have done. Offset costs against the bill savings to pay for it?

I paid for my system over 6 yrs when electricity was around 6p/kw when installed, it would be 4 based on cheaper pricing and more expensive rates of today.

Schools, like businesses are exposed to wholesale daily pricing.

If you are thinking of Solar, do as I did to fund it, carry on paying the DD at the full rate. Then each year draw down the credit and put it back in the pink piggy.- it's a great feeling.

I use 3x the power (5000kw a year) I used too and pay only for 700kw and this will be almost zero next year after upgrades. This runs air conditioning and heaters to offset gas consumption on hot water and heating.

Longridge

@nickonsea

I agree, it cost me £6000 and decided it offered a better interest rate than a bank.

You are correct, it was a big commitment, so if the government instead of grants, gave you the equipment including batteries in exchange for what you'd normally pay on your bill - A straight swap, it costs you no more for energy, no big installation costs and then after paying the equivalent back, instead of the power supplier, they give you the system in full in 5 to 10 years.

This would have been a damn sight better then the FITT farce they created.

Completely self funding and for every sign up, a reduction in demand from the grid and less CO2.

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Air Heat pumps are not effective unless you have maximum insulation in your house, not worth it if your property is solid wall.

Also the funds for the grant will only be enough for 90,000 properties, pretty weak.

I would say this initiative was built to fail. Like most of the green “ideas” this current government is doing as little as possible, yet it can then turn around to the electorate and burnish its “green” credentials to maintain its popularity.

By *irtylittletramp100TV/TS  over a year ago

Notts

Yep jumpers work better

Notts

How many cardigans could boris buy us for that amount

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

It's going to be solar panels all oever again, firms springing up all over the place trying to flog airpumps

Longridge

Then when people realise they are useless in Winter and claims start flooding in (just like PPI and accident claims) for losses and excessive power consumption costs.

The same companies will be long gone and government will be left picking up the bill.

Air To Air pumps are fantastic as output temp can be 32 degrees and extremely efficient as I have two here.

They have cooled and dehumidified during summer and supplemented heating in Autumn and Spring using excess Solar. But as soon as outdoor temp us below 4 degrees, they are luke warm.

Although the grants are for Air to Water, they just cannot give the hear on cold days which is why boilers should be left in place allowing the bulk of heating between Spring - Autumn at 4 to 1 then boiler for the very cold days.

A combi boiler running at 35 degrees output is very efficient so a combination of the two would reduce CO2 by around 80%. Planting trees a day other mitigation would cover the the shortfall.

I'll be buying a new gas boiler to keep in its box in January as a spare.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Clearly, nothing this government delivers is for the benefit of the people. It’s for the financial benefit of Tory donors.

Time we wake up and understand why this government makes its decisions.

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

"Then when people realise they are useless in Winter and claims start flooding in (just like PPI and accident claims) for losses and excessive power consumption costs.

The same companies will be long gone and government will be left picking up the bill.

Air To Air pumps are fantastic as output temp can be 32 degrees and extremely efficient as I have two here.

They have cooled and dehumidified during summer and supplemented heating in Autumn and Spring using excess Solar. But as soon as outdoor temp us below 4 degrees, they are luke warm.

Although the grants are for Air to Water, they just cannot give the hear on cold days which is why boilers should be left in place allowing the bulk of heating between Spring - Autumn at 4 to 1 then boiler for the very cold days.

A combi boiler running at 35 degrees output is very efficient so a combination of the two would reduce CO2 by around 80%. Planting trees a day other mitigation would cover the the shortfall.

I'll be buying a new gas boiler to keep in its box in January as a spare."

I suspect there will be a rise in boiler purchases just before the deadline

Notts

Why isnt there panic cardigan buying! Because everyone is happy to pollute the planet rather than wear a pullover!

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

"Why isnt there panic cardigan buying! Because everyone is happy to pollute the planet rather than wear a pullover! "

Not me. I've been in an aggressive jumper war with my energy supplier for years.

I also get a monthly bill - on a quarterly tariff - by submitting a new meter reading online. Try it, if you're able to (and feel the need to). Definitely makes bills more manageable.

I know most people aren't as skint as I am - and, sadly, millions are even worse off. I'll be ok, I've only me to worry about - but they should be helped.

Why? Well, they were helped for Covid 19 - and the energy price hike isn't their fault any more than the virus was.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I live in a conservation village, and wouldn't be able to have solar panels, even if I wanted to. "

Same here

I am still stuck with single glazed wooden sash windows out the front. The Draught they let in is insane

Notts

"Why isnt there panic cardigan buying! Because everyone is happy to pollute the planet rather than wear a pullover!

Not me. I've been in an aggressive jumper war with my energy supplier for years.

I also get a monthly bill - on a quarterly tariff - by submitting a new meter reading online. Try it, if you're able to (and feel the need to). Definitely makes bills more manageable.

I know most people aren't as skint as I am - and, sadly, millions are even worse off. I'll be ok, I've only me to worry about - but they should be helped.

Why? Well, they were helped for Covid 19 - and the energy price hike isn't their fault any more than the virus was."

some need to be helped with their jumper choice, have you seen gyles on brekfast tv jeeeeez

» Add a new message to this topic