FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Sleaze - We’ve been here before

Sleaze - We’ve been here before

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *bernath OP   Couple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

It’s like a recurring theme, parties who get too comfortable in power for so long that their MP’s become lazy and complacent.

There is an argument that there should be fixed terms for MP’s should be introduced to keep democracy fresh.

Do you think its a good way to stop the corruption we are currently seeing rampant these days?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

I believe all MPs should be paid a much bigger salary commensurate with their influence and responsibilities BUT should be forbidden from receiving any other income from consultancies a or Directorships/significant shareholding in any organisation that can benefit from influence over Govt policy.

Expenses should also be tightened up to only cover legitimate business/job related expenses (that includes making it illegal to “flip” their primary home).

In addition they should be forbidden from taking up employment for five years with any organisation that directly benefitted from Govt policy the MP/Minister had any influence over during the previous five years.

By *ak777Man  over a year ago

shaw

"I believe all MPs should be paid a much bigger salary commensurate with their influence and responsibilities BUT should be forbidden from receiving any other income from consultancies a or Directorships/significant shareholding in any organisation that can benefit from influence over Govt policy.

Expenses should also be tightened up to only cover legitimate business/job related expenses (that includes making it illegal to “flip” their primary home).

In addition they should be forbidden from taking up employment for five years with any organisation that directly benefitted from Govt policy the MP/Minister had any influence over during the previous five years."

By *ak777Man  over a year ago

shaw

there should be only 3 hundred MPs 80 grand is enough then we might get the right people in it for the job not the money ,and the lords should be cut to one hundred .

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

"there should be only 3 hundred MPs 80 grand is enough then we might get the right people in it for the job not the money ,and the lords should be cut to one hundred . "

While £84k sounds a lot compared to the average salary, the reality is that the majority of people of high calibre can earn a LOT more in the private sector. If we want to attract the best (and not rely on everyone being altruistic with their time and skills) and st the same time reduce the possibility for corruption or being influenced by lobbyists, then you need to pay better (as per my first point).

I would also add that people wanting to be MPs should have had to work for a few years before so we get away from the “Westminster bubble”.

Also if we are not going to ho down the proportional representation route (we should) and stick with FPTP because of the supposed link to constituency representation, then we need to remove the whip and require MPs to be from their constituency!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"there should be only 3 hundred MPs 80 grand is enough then we might get the right people in it for the job not the money ,and the lords should be cut to one hundred .

While £84k sounds a lot compared to the average salary, the reality is that the majority of people of high calibre can earn a LOT more in the private sector. If we want to attract the best (and not rely on everyone being altruistic with their time and skills) and st the same time reduce the possibility for corruption or being influenced by lobbyists, then you need to pay better (as per my first point).

I would also add that people wanting to be MPs should have had to work for a few years before so we get away from the “Westminster bubble”.

Also if we are not going to ho down the proportional representation route (we should) and stick with FPTP because of the supposed link to constituency representation, then we need to remove the whip and require MPs to be from their constituency! "

I agree wholeheartedly with what you have just said and would support proportional representation as well as FPTP certainly does not represent the voice of the voting public.

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

no ... but there clearly should now be a disconect between the business world and political world. business has been allowed to become far to powerful to the detrement of democracy and laws should be passed to curb that power.

» Add a new message to this topic