FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Government 'replaces' Cornwall's EU £100m with just £1 million

Government 'replaces' Cornwall's EU £100m with just £1 million

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

That's the headline from Cornwall Live. Not great news for them, is it?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *lex46TV/TS  over a year ago

Near Wells

Do you spend the whole of your days trawling through news articles just to find news items that criticise the government?

I recon you start over a third of the posts in the politics forum. Every single one criticising the government. People will soon get bored of it.

"Do you spend the whole of your days trawling through news articles just to find news items that criticise the government?

I recon you start over a third of the posts in the politics forum. Every single one criticising the government. People will soon get bored of it. "

I just browse current news stories a couple of times a day. Lately, they've all been bad for the goverrnment. It's not my fault they're a corrupt bunch of liars.

I'll try and seek out a story that criticises somebody else if it makes you happy.

Near Wells

"Do you spend the whole of your days trawling through news articles just to find news items that criticise the government?

I recon you start over a third of the posts in the politics forum. Every single one criticising the government. People will soon get bored of it.

I just browse current news stories a couple of times a day. Lately, they've all been bad for the goverrnment. It's not my fault they're a corrupt bunch of liars.

I'll try and seek out a story that criticises somebody else if it makes you happy."

It would certainly make a change if you could.

I'll try and seek out a story that criticises somebody else if it makes you happy.

It would certainly make a change if you could. "

Just looked. Nothing jumped out. It was wall to wall Tory corruption. Maybe another day.

Near Wells

Fingers crossed.

"Fingers crossed. "

I posted a new thread on COP26. Just for you. And I didn't mention Tories lying. Or Tories being corrupt. Or Brexit.

Near Wells

Oh thanks. I actually agree with you on that subject.

"Oh thanks. I actually agree with you on that subject. "

While you're on this thread: what do you think of the Tories shafting Cornwall?

(Sorry couldn't resist it. I'll leave you be if you don't wanna talk about the Cornwall story.)

Near Wells

I haven't actually seen that article, I'll look it up tomorrow.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Bit of a misleading headline.

EU money is due to be replaced by the Shared Prosperity Fund (SPF), which doesn't start until 2022.

This £1 million is funds from a seperate pilot scheme.

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"Bit of a misleading headline.

EU money is due to be replaced by the Shared Prosperity Fund (SPF), which doesn't start until 2022.

This £1 million is funds from a seperate pilot scheme. "

Still the earmarked £100 million from the EU is not happening, and the sweetener from the U.K. Govt. is £1 million.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

As much as I feel bad for the people who voted against this, and for young people who were unable to vote in the referendum.

Cornwall overwhelming voted in favour of being more economically deprived. This issue of EU funding was specifically discussed at length during the build up to the referendum.

People chose to believe in some unspecified fantastical promises instead of real life information.

Now "project fear" is actually happening in real life, they only have themselves to blame.

By *adetMan  over a year ago

Ipswich

Still the earmarked £100 million from the EU is not happening, and the sweetener from the U.K. Govt. is £1 million."

Where do you think that 100 million came from in the first place

The EU giving us 100 million. PMSL

golden fields

Still the earmarked £100 million from the EU is not happening, and the sweetener from the U.K. Govt. is £1 million.

The EU giving us 100 million. PMSL "

You're suggesting that some of this money came from the money the UK paid into the EU, (which as we know, was a net financial benefit to the UK with access to the single market).

And that without that, the UK government simply can't be trusted to help deprived areas? As evidenced by what's actually happening in real life.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The government will have to match that amount then

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

So why doesn’t the Govt give the £100 million then?

If they don’t, it appears like the EU did actually care about levelling up and the U.K. Government doesn’t.

By *ap d agde coupleCouple  over a year ago

Herne Bay

If they don’t, it appears like the EU did actually care about levelling up and the U.K. Government doesn’t."

U.K. is £2.2 Trillion in debt and rising so what’s another 100 million to the Government

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I so knew this one would be coming… so here we go

The government promised that no region would be any worse off for eu regeneration fund money they would lose…..

Doesn’t exactly sound like a promise met….. does it!!!

P.s wonder what happened to that extra 350 million pounds per week… did it all go to the nhs?

golden fields

If they don’t, it appears like the EU did actually care about levelling up and the U.K. Government doesn’t. U.K. is £2.2 Trillion in debt and rising so what’s another 100 million to the Government "

But that £100 mil could be better used going to someone who donates to the Tory party, for, I dunno, a contract on hand sanitizer, or bog roll.

We're free from the EU now, so this money doesn't have to go towards infrastructure in deprived parts of the country. It can be used to secure future donations to the Conservatives.

By *adetMan  over a year ago

Ipswich

This £1 million is funds from a seperate pilot scheme. "

This

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

"That's the headline from Cornwall Live. Not great news for them, is it?"

The headline said that councillors feared they were getting just 1 million. Reading the story they then show it is actually just the pilot scheme.

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

"Still the earmarked £100 million from the EU is not happening, and the sweetener from the U.K. Govt. is £1 million."

these are irrefutable facts ... strange that a straw man would be built in a failed attempt to refute those facts.

golden fields

"Still the earmarked £100 million from the EU is not happening, and the sweetener from the U.K. Govt. is £1 million.

these are irrefutable facts ... strange that a straw man would be built in a failed attempt to refute those facts. "

As his supporters mentioned. It's only a new suggestion. It could be less, or nothing.

Still, this is what the majority in Cornwall specific voted for.

By *coptoCouple  over a year ago

Côte d'Azur & Great Yarmouth

“...wonder what happened to that extra 350 million pounds per week… did it all go to the nhs?”

Bearing in mind the UK’s average net contribution to the EU was estimated by the European Commission at approx. £8 billion (even our own Office of National Statistics could only “up” the final five-year average to £9.8 billion), only Nigel Farage could say that £9.8 billion divided by 52 equals £350 million a week extra for the NHS. And have people believe it!

Boris himself, of course, NEVER EVER said such a thing, and the photos of him in front of “the” bus are fake.

By *rFunBoyMan  over a year ago

Longridge

[Removed by poster at 15/11/21 23:27:56]

By *rFunBoyMan  over a year ago

Longridge

"Oh thanks. I actually agree with you on that subject.

While you're on this thread: what do you think of the Tories shafting Cornwall? "

Whoooaaaa STOP THERE...

There is a perfectly reasonable explanation for it.

Now the EU is out of Cornwall and can no longer keep locals in the houses they grew up in, they'll need to move out.

This leaves more homes for Tories and other rich bitches from London to snatch up.

You should have realised when the Chancellor reduced tax on internal domestic UK flights and Grant Shaps's unhealthy interest in Airfields so that they can fly into Newquay for weekend breaks in the 'holiday homes' at reduced rates.

Did you also know a large chunk of the COVID recovery fund meant for Cornwall was claimed by second home owners who don't even reside there!!!

Gentrification or Ethnic Cleansing?

I have Cornish born and bred friends down there and they believe it is the latter...

I so knew this one would be coming… so here we go

The government promised that no region would be any worse off for eu regeneration fund money they would lose…..

Doesn’t exactly sound like a promise met….. does it!!!

P.s wonder what happened to that extra 350 million pounds per week… did it all go to the nhs?"

Maybe it got lost down the back of the sofa? Total mystery...

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

"As much as I feel bad for the people who voted against this, and for young people who were unable to vote in the referendum.

Cornwall overwhelming voted in favour of being more economically deprived. This issue of EU funding was specifically discussed at length during the build up to the referendum.

People chose to believe in some unspecified fantastical promises instead of real life information.

Now "project fear" is actually happening in real life, they only have themselves to blame. "

If they voted for it, then they only have themselves to blame. Surely they knew what they were voting for, as in long or short term effects.

golden fields

"As much as I feel bad for the people who voted against this, and for young people who were unable to vote in the referendum.

Now "project fear" is actually happening in real life, they only have themselves to blame.

If they voted for it, then they only have themselves to blame. Surely they knew what they were voting for, as in long or short term effects."

Presumably.

Sadly it's impacting everyone, especially in places like Cornwall, regardless of what they voted for.

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"They won get over it "

By *irtylittletramp100TV/TS  over a year ago

Notts

Can't believe the south have the cheek to whine, compared to Northern areas!

golden fields

"Can't believe the south have the cheek to whine, compared to Northern areas!"

That's brexit Britain in a nutshell.

Divide and conquer.

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

Ok folks let’s just be clear about that £350m a week to the NHS. They ARE getting it! Well not strictly directly getting it. The “NHS” Track & Trace and all the consultancies such as Serco, Deloitte etc are getting it. Over a few years it adds up to that magic £37bn figure. So stop moaning. Nobody really “lied” they just pre-empted the future. It just depends how you look at it and what you mean by “give” and “NHS” so people need to chill out!

For avoidance of doubt this is a joke a d as such I haven’t done the maths!

golden fields

"

For avoidance of doubt this is a joke a d as such I haven’t done the maths!"

Ha.

This statement especially is Brexit summarised.

"

For avoidance of doubt this is a joke and as such I haven’t done the maths!

Ha.

This statement especially is Brexit summarised. "

Brexit in a nutshell.

It would be funny if it wasn't so serious.

Cornwall voted majority leave so they can thank themselves

golden fields

"Cornwall voted majority leave so they can thank themselves "

Indeed. But for the young people who live there and for those who didn't vote for this. There should be empathy.

» Add a new message to this topic