FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > EFTA - the happy medium

EFTA - the happy medium

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *bernath OP   Couple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Why ain’t we exploring this happy medium,

It has support from brexiteers and remoaners alike.

Hopefully we hear more about rejoining EFTA next year because this hard brexit has been a case of overpromise and under delivered.

Time for stability.

Your thoughts?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *mateur100Man  over a year ago

nr faversham

"Why ain’t we exploring this happy medium,

Hopefully we hear more about rejoining EFTA next year because this hard brexit has been a case of overpromise and under delivered.

Time for stability.

Your thoughts?"

God forbid something after Brexit positive could be supported

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

Time for stability.

Your thoughts?

God forbid something after Brexit positive could be supported"

It is positive but it kind of confirms Brexit is negative and not as promised

I’m all for it and hopefully free movement will follow.

By *lixerMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

It's likely that the Scottish Nation will try for EFTA. And will be welcomed.

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

EFTA was the logical end game of a close referendum.

Unfortunately, ideology and Exceptionalism trumped pragmatism and logic.

By *or Fox SakeCouple  over a year ago

Thornaby

"EFTA was the logical end game of a close referendum.

Unfortunately, ideology and Exceptionalism trumped pragmatism and logic."

And indeed actively spoken about, until the usual parliamentary numpties said it wasn't quite brexitty enough.

Manchester

[Removed by poster at 12/11/21 10:20:38]

Manchester

Just to clarify my free movement comment. I believe free movement without rules for students on a valid course or work experience. Free movement for individuals who can support themselves financially such pensioners etc along with reciprocal healthcare. Finally free movement for workers who have a job to go to but no free movement if benefits are the first port of call.

Thornaby

"Just to clarify my free movement comment. I believe free movement without rules for students on a valid course or work experience. Free movement for individuals who can support themselves financially such pensioners etc along with reciprocal healthcare. Finally free movement for workers who have a job to go to but no free movement if benefits are the first port of call."

That's pretty much what we had.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

Time for stability.

Your thoughts?"

How does EFTA benefit billionaires, people who want to hide money off shore, US corporations etc?

Manchester

"Just to clarify my free movement comment. I believe free movement without rules for students on a valid course or work experience. Free movement for individuals who can support themselves financially such pensioners etc along with reciprocal healthcare. Finally free movement for workers who have a job to go to but no free movement if benefits are the first port of call.

That's pretty much what we had. "

I know

Manchester

Time for stability.

Your thoughts?

How does EFTA benefit billionaires, people who want to hide money off shore, US corporations etc?"

Looks like they will be safe unless a change of U.K. government .

https://eealaw.efta.int/

golden fields

Time for stability.

Your thoughts?

How does EFTA benefit billionaires, people who want to hide money off shore, US corporations etc?

https://eealaw.efta.int/"

If it benefits that demographic, as brexit does, then we will end there.

If it lessens the damage done by the brexit turd. Then I'm all for it.

Manchester

Time for stability.

Your thoughts?

https://eealaw.efta.int/

If it benefits that demographic, as brexit does, then we will end there.

If it lessens the damage done by the brexit turd. Then I'm all for it. "

I think it will lessen the damage for your average U.K. person and companies which is something I would totally support but in reality have no material effect on the wealthy elite. I’m surprised the rich Brexit backers didn’t go for for this as a safer escape from tax rules.

By *ssexbloke72Man  over a year ago

Poplar

I voted to stop free movement and I stand by that.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I voted to stop free movement and I stand by that."

Fair enough, did everyone else who voted for Brexit ?

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

"I voted to stop free movement and I stand by that.

Fair enough, did everyone else who voted for Brexit ?"

17.4 million people I’d guess they all had different reasons same as remainers so it’s a silly question

Fair enough, did everyone else who voted for Brexit ?17.4 million people I’d guess they all had different reasons same as remainers so it’s a silly question "

Exactly my point,

thornaby

Fair enough, did everyone else who voted for Brexit ?17.4 million people I’d guess they all had different reasons same as remainers so it’s a silly question

Exactly my point, "

eh

Fair enough, did everyone else who voted for Brexit ?17.4 million people I’d guess they all had different reasons same as remainers so it’s a silly question

Exactly my point, eh"

Not everyone who voted for Brexit voted to end freedom of movement? In fact, your version of Brexit was totally different to millions of people who voted to leave. Voting to remain was more simple and the outcome easier to predict

thornaby

Exactly my point, eh

Not everyone who voted for Brexit voted to end freedom of movement? In fact, your version of Brexit was totally different to millions of people who voted to leave. Voting to remain was more simple and the outcome easier to predict "

isn’t that always the case with every vote ?

Exactly my point, eh

Not everyone who voted for Brexit voted to end freedom of movement? In fact, your version of Brexit was totally different to millions of people who voted to leave. Voting to remain was more simple and the outcome easier to predict isn’t that always the case with every vote ?"

No, did you vote to end freedom of movement? Every person who voted remain wanted to keep it , did everyone who voted leave want to remove it?

thornaby

Exactly my point, eh

Not everyone who voted for Brexit voted to end freedom of movement? In fact, your version of Brexit was totally different to millions of people who voted to leave. Voting to remain was more simple and the outcome easier to predict isn’t that always the case with every vote ?

No, did you vote to end freedom of movement? Every person who voted remain wanted to keep it , did everyone who voted leave want to remove it? "

lmao how do you know they wanted to keep it was that the only reason they voted remain have you polled them all lol

Exactly my point, eh

Not everyone who voted for Brexit voted to end freedom of movement? In fact, your version of Brexit was totally different to millions of people who voted to leave. Voting to remain was more simple and the outcome easier to predict isn’t that always the case with every vote ?

No, did you vote to end freedom of movement? Every person who voted remain wanted to keep it , did everyone who voted leave want to remove it? lmao how do you know they wanted to keep it was that the only reason they voted remain have you polled them all lol"

No, have you? I think your completely missing the point here mate,

thornaby

Exactly my point, eh

No, did you vote to end freedom of movement? Every person who voted remain wanted to keep it , did everyone who voted leave want to remove it? lmao how do you know they wanted to keep it was that the only reason they voted remain have you polled them all lol

No, have you? I think your completely missing the point here mate, "

what is your point apart from baiting leavers AGAIN

Exactly my point, eh

No, did you vote to end freedom of movement? Every person who voted remain wanted to keep it , did everyone who voted leave want to remove it? lmao how do you know they wanted to keep it was that the only reason they voted remain have you polled them all lol

No, have you? I think your completely missing the point here mate, what is your point apart from baiting leavers AGAIN"

Why am I ‘baiting’ , this is big news? 1000 migrants, this wasn’t what was promised. My point is you didn’t know what you were voting for, I did, btw, did you vote to end freedom of movement

Exactly my point, eh

No, have you? I think your completely missing the point here mate, what is your point apart from baiting leavers AGAIN

Why am I ‘baiting’ , this is big news? 1000 migrants, this wasn’t what was promised. My point is you didn’t know what you were voting for, I did, btw, did you vote to end freedom of movement "

Sorry I posted on the wrong thread

thornaby

Exactly my point, eh

No, have you? I think your completely missing the point here mate, what is your point apart from baiting leavers AGAIN

Why am I ‘baiting’ , this is big news? 1000 migrants, this wasn’t what was promised. My point is you didn’t know what you were voting for, I did, btw, did you vote to end freedom of movement "

I never voted to end it mate there economic migrants and risk there lives to come to the U.K. for that reason we will always have problems because the U.K. is a more attractive country to these people

thornaby

Exactly my point, eh

Why am I ‘baiting’ , this is big news? 1000 migrants, this wasn’t what was promised. My point is you didn’t know what you were voting for, I did, btw, did you vote to end freedom of movement

Sorry I posted on the wrong thread "

ya twat I thought you had I thought I was in the wrong one lmao your fault not keeping me in check

Exactly my point, eh

Why am I ‘baiting’ , this is big news? 1000 migrants, this wasn’t what was promised. My point is you didn’t know what you were voting for, I did, btw, did you vote to end freedom of movement I never voted to end it mate there economic migrants and risk there lives to come to the U.K. for that reason we will always have problems because the U.K. is a more attractive country to these people "

So you wanted to keep freedom of movement?

thornaby

Exactly my point, eh

Why am I ‘baiting’ , this is big news? 1000 migrants, this wasn’t what was promised. My point is you didn’t know what you were voting for, I did, btw, did you vote to end freedom of movement I never voted to end it mate there economic migrants and risk there lives to come to the U.K. for that reason we will always have problems because the U.K. is a more attractive country to these people

So you wanted to keep freedom of movement? "

no I wanted it’s slowing to manageable amounts I thought it was getting out of hand told you dozens of times tho it’s same shit different day now you just want to prove your reasons are better than mine

Exactly my point, eh

Why am I ‘baiting’ , this is big news? 1000 migrants, this wasn’t what was promised. My point is you didn’t know what you were voting for, I did, btw, did you vote to end freedom of movement I never voted to end it mate there economic migrants and risk there lives to come to the U.K. for that reason we will always have problems because the U.K. is a more attractive country to these people

So you wanted to keep freedom of movement? no I wanted it’s slowing to manageable amounts I thought it was getting out of hand told you dozens of times tho it’s same shit different day now you just want to prove your reasons are better than mine "

I am not having a go, I tend to agree, freedom of movement isn’t perfect, I still think it’s advantages outweigh its disadvantages.

thornaby

Exactly my point, eh

So you wanted to keep freedom of movement? no I wanted it’s slowing to manageable amounts I thought it was getting out of hand told you dozens of times tho it’s same shit different day now you just want to prove your reasons are better than mine

I am not having a go, I tend to agree, freedom of movement isn’t perfect, I still think it’s advantages outweigh its disadvantages."

I don’t think that’s the case but still respect your view I thought 300 thousand a year was to many for any country

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Time for stability.

Your thoughts?"

It was never brexit in the eyes of the brexiteers… they wanted to blow up everything and by damned!!!

Exactly my point, eh

So you wanted to keep freedom of movement? no I wanted it’s slowing to manageable amounts I thought it was getting out of hand told you dozens of times tho it’s same shit different day now you just want to prove your reasons are better than mine

I am not having a go, I tend to agree, freedom of movement isn’t perfect, I still think it’s advantages outweigh its disadvantages. I don’t think that’s the case but still respect your view I thought 300 thousand a year was to many for any country "

Fair enough,

Manchester

Exactly my point, eh

I am not having a go, I tend to agree, freedom of movement isn’t perfect, I still think it’s advantages outweigh its disadvantages. I don’t think that’s the case but still respect your view I thought 300 thousand a year was to many for any country "

We always had to power to stop immigration as we were not part of the Schengen Agreement. It’s a myth put out by the Brexit brigade that we could restrict immigration.

And in fact.

The worst year for net EU migration was 200,000 and was dropping before Brexit. From the eu it was around 50,000 in 2019.

Net immigration from non EU countries between 2012 and 2019 was running at an average of 175,000 but that was the average with it increasing year on year and was pushing 300,000 in 2019.

Me thinks you have been sold a dud on the number from Europe. Btw the EU numbers include U.K. citizens returning and leaving so in fact it’s actually been even less.

Exactly my point, eh

I am not having a go, I tend to agree, freedom of movement isn’t perfect, I still think it’s advantages outweigh its disadvantages. I don’t think that’s the case but still respect your view I thought 300 thousand a year was to many for any country

We always had to power to stop immigration as we were not part of the Schengen Agreement. It’s a myth put out by the Brexit brigade that we could restrict immigration.

And in fact.

The worst year for net EU migration was 200,000 and was dropping before Brexit. From the eu it was around 50,000 in 2019.

Net immigration from non EU countries between 2012 and 2019 was running at an average of 175,000 but that was the average with it increasing year on year and was pushing 300,000 in 2019.

Me thinks you have been sold a dud on the number from Europe. Btw the EU numbers include U.K. citizens returning and leaving so in fact it’s actually been even less. "

Good point,

thornaby

Exactly my point, eh

I am not having a go, I tend to agree, freedom of movement isn’t perfect, I still think it’s advantages outweigh its disadvantages. I don’t think that’s the case but still respect your view I thought 300 thousand a year was to many for any country

And in fact.

Me thinks you have been sold a dud on the number from Europe. Btw the EU numbers include U.K. citizens returning and leaving so in fact it’s actually been even less. "

if that makes you feel better that I was sold a dud great btw I didn’t say they where all eh migrants I was saying migration makes no difference t where from for me mate but thanx for the education tho lol

Manchester

Exactly my point, eh

And in fact.

Me thinks you have been sold a dud on the number from Europe. Btw the EU numbers include U.K. citizens returning and leaving so in fact it’s actually been even less. if that makes you feel better that I was sold a dud great btw I didn’t say they where all eh migrants I was saying migration makes no difference t where from for me mate but thanx for the education tho lol"

I’m not trying to be rude towards you Foxy so if that’s how it read I apologise. I just think a lot of people think immigrants coming from Europe was a problem. 95% who came worked . From the rest of the world 85% are students or dependants . A huge amount of dependants who cost far more than Europeans who work.

I personally would ban anyone over 65 who is brought in as a family dependant from getting benefits . If the family want them here then they pay. They will never pay tax so why should we house them? At least asylum seekers and economic migrants have chance of paying into the system.

thornaby

Exactly my point, eh

And in fact.

Me thinks you have been sold a dud on the number from Europe. Btw the EU numbers include U.K. citizens returning and leaving so in fact it’s actually been even less. if that makes you feel better that I was sold a dud great btw I didn’t say they where all eh migrants I was saying migration makes no difference t where from for me mate but thanx for the education tho lol

I’m not trying to be rude towards you Foxy so if that’s how it read I apologise. I just think a lot of people think immigrants coming from Europe was a problem. 95% who came worked . From the rest of the world 85% are students or dependants . A huge amount of dependants who cost far more than Europeans who work.

I personally would ban anyone over 65 who is brought in as a family dependant from getting benefits . If the family want them here then they pay. They will never pay tax so why should we house them? At least asylum seekers and economic migrants have chance of paying into the system.

"

it wasn’t a big issue with me about benefits it was mainly the numbers pressure on nhs schools housing roads in boro it’s roughly 100 people to have double that or triple that a year seems impossible to cope with when it comes to housing they should get a house until we don’t have a waiting list good idea about over 65s I like what the government are doing now white no job no entry

Manchester

Exactly my point, eh

And in fact.

Me thinks you have been sold a dud on the number from Europe. Btw the EU numbers include U.K. citizens returning and leaving so in fact it’s actually been even less. if that makes you feel better that I was sold a dud great btw I didn’t say they where all eh migrants I was saying migration makes no difference t where from for me mate but thanx for the education tho lol

it wasn’t a big issue with me about benefits it was mainly the numbers pressure on nhs schools housing roads in boro it’s roughly 100 people to have double that or triple that a year seems impossible to cope with when it comes to housing they should get a house until we don’t have a waiting list good idea about over 65s I like what the government are doing now white no job no entry "

The immigrants have always paid in more than they take out so the councils and government should have more money not less for schools etc. Where is that going?? It’s like the North Sea oil revenues just disappearing.

Incompetent government for decades . Have wasted our tax on giving huge handouts to tax avoiders and in badly spending the rest.

Economy doubles and wealth increases but 90% of the population are no better and in fact many are worse off.

The paltry levelling up money will never equal the cuts they have imposed on councils over the last decade. It was to pay off the debts of the banking crises . Yet the bankers bonuses and dividends flowed very quickly again after the bailouts!

golden fields

Exactly my point, eh

And in fact.

it wasn’t a big issue with me about benefits it was mainly the numbers pressure on nhs schools housing roads in boro it’s roughly 100 people to have double that or triple that a year seems impossible to cope with when it comes to housing they should get a house until we don’t have a waiting list good idea about over 65s I like what the government are doing now white no job no entry

The immigrants have always paid in more than they take out so the councils and government should have more money not less for schools etc. Where is that going?? It’s like the North Sea oil revenues just disappearing.

Incompetent government for decades . Have wasted our tax on giving huge handouts to tax avoiders and in badly spending the rest.

Economy doubles and wealth increases but 90% of the population are no better and in fact many are worse off.

The paltry levelling up money will never equal the cuts they have imposed on councils over the last decade. It was to pay off the debts of the banking crises . Yet the bankers bonuses and dividends flowed very quickly again after the bailouts!

"

It's much easier to blame immigrants than actually tacking the problems.

The government took the easy option.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

it wasn’t a big issue with me about benefits it was mainly the numbers pressure on nhs schools housing roads in boro it’s roughly 100 people to have double that or triple that a year seems impossible to cope with when it comes to housing they should get a house until we don’t have a waiting list good idea about over 65s I like what the government are doing now white no job no entry "

Not to rag on you further Foxy… but the problem with that argument is that from pure pounds and pence standpoint, EU migrants are actually a net positive to the UK… and by a lot , they gave way way way more back in UK tax revenue then was shelled out in benefits!!

And as a percentage of the population they were contributing more than the native population

Which meant the UK government had more to spend on schools, NHS, roads, housing ect ect

thornaby

"

Not to rag on you further Foxy… but the problem with that argument is that from pure pounds and pence standpoint, EU migrants are actually a net positive to the UK… and by a lot , they gave way way way more back in UK tax revenue then was shelled out in benefits!!

And as a percentage of the population they were contributing more than the native population

Which meant the UK government had more to spend on schools, NHS, roads, housing ect ect "

what is the point of spending more on schools nhs roads housing ect etc if they are going to be just filled with migrants how does that ease the roads school places nhs and housing if that amount are pouring inn Fabio come on give us a solution ?

golden fields

"

Which meant the UK government had more to spend on schools, NHS, roads, housing ect ect what is the point of spending more on schools nhs roads housing ect etc if they are going to be just filled with migrants how does that ease the roads school places nhs and housing if that amount are pouring inn Fabio come on give us a solution ?"

Erm.....

There's more money for all this stuff with immigration.

The government may have chosen not to allocate it to the NHS, Roads, schooling, and housing. But it's there.

Now there's less tax money coming in to go towards these things.

The problem is not immigrants, the problem is the government.

Why do you think the government spends so much time and effort blaming immigrants for everything? As if these migrants had all the power, and the government has no influence over the NHS, or budget allocation.

thornaby

"

Which meant the UK government had more to spend on schools, NHS, roads, housing ect ect what is the point of spending more on schools nhs roads housing ect etc if they are going to be just filled with migrants how does that ease the roads school places nhs and housing if that amount are pouring inn Fabio come on give us a solution ?

Erm.....

The government may have chosen not to allocate it to the NHS, Roads, schooling, and housing. But it's there.

Why do you think the government spends so much time and effort blaming immigrants for everything? As if these migrants had all the power, and the government has no influence over the NHS, or budget allocation.

"

so where are they all going to live say ten years of around 2to 3 thousand a year you think the U.K. code cope really it wouldn’t corse huge problems ?

By *eanoCoolMan  over a year ago

wisbech

I think its pretty clear depending on where you lived in the country will define how you see or don't see migration as a issue. Some areas did not really change much in percentage of population and in some areas the migrant population percentage increase was huge, over 450% in boston in Lincolnshire for instance in the space of 10 yrs, so I can see why people in these areas were unhappy with how there towns and communities changed, coupled with a lack of investment in local infrastructure you had the perfect storm.

golden fields

"

Which meant the UK government had more to spend on schools, NHS, roads, housing ect ect what is the point of spending more on schools nhs roads housing ect etc if they are going to be just filled with migrants how does that ease the roads school places nhs and housing if that amount are pouring inn Fabio come on give us a solution ?

Erm.....

so where are they all going to live say ten years of around 2to 3 thousand a year you think the U.K. code cope really it wouldn’t corse huge problems ?"

Just to repeat, the immigrants, who weild little to no political power, are not the cause of the problems in this country. The government, who have been in charge for the past 12 years, have all the power.

golden fields

"I think its pretty clear depending on where you lived in the country will define how you see or don't see migration as a issue. Some areas did not really change much in percentage of population and in some areas the migrant population percentage increase was huge, over 450% in boston in Lincolnshire for instance in the space of 10 yrs, so I can see why people in these areas were unhappy with how there towns and communities changed, coupled with a lack of investment in local infrastructure you had the perfect storm."

On the other hand. Cities with the most diverse populations, are least likely to be anti-immigrant. And least likely to vote ukip, or whatever they fuck they call themselves now.

North West

"

Erm.....

so where are they all going to live say ten years of around 2to 3 thousand a year you think the U.K. code cope really it wouldn’t corse huge problems ?"

The world and societies have changed and continue to change and always will.

It is a fact of life that as people get older they don’t want anything to change and yearn for “how things used to be.”

Societies will change, genetics will change and ultimately we (well our future families) will all be coffee coloured people.

wisbech

"I think its pretty clear depending on where you lived in the country will define how you see or don't see migration as a issue. Some areas did not really change much in percentage of population and in some areas the migrant population percentage increase was huge, over 450% in boston in Lincolnshire for instance in the space of 10 yrs, so I can see why people in these areas were unhappy with how there towns and communities changed, coupled with a lack of investment in local infrastructure you had the perfect storm.

On the other hand. Cities with the most diverse populations, are least likely to be anti-immigrant. And least likely to vote ukip, or whatever they fuck they call themselves now. "

Are they, well boston which I mentioned in my post voted very heavily leave and it was well reported that the migration issue was a big factor in that. As regards ukip or whatever I have no idea either what they are called now.

Manchester

The problem with Boston is the population is low, however they needed labour to work both in fields and food production factories. British workers don’t want to know. Where else do the farmers and factory owners go?

Lincolnshire farmers are right now watching thousands of acres of food rot because they can’t get the workers.

Make changes in immigration if we had to but surely better over time. We’ve slammed the door shut and now realised it’s locked and we’ve lost the key!!

Again bad government.

golden fields

"I think its pretty clear depending on where you lived in the country will define how you see or don't see migration as a issue. Some areas did not really change much in percentage of population and in some areas the migrant population percentage increase was huge, over 450% in boston in Lincolnshire for instance in the space of 10 yrs, so I can see why people in these areas were unhappy with how there towns and communities changed, coupled with a lack of investment in local infrastructure you had the perfect storm.

On the other hand. Cities with the most diverse populations, are least likely to be anti-immigrant. And least likely to vote ukip, or whatever they fuck they call themselves now.

Are they, well boston which I mentioned in my post voted very heavily leave and it was well reported that the migration issue was a big factor in that. As regards ukip or whatever I have no idea either what they are called now."

Why were the people of Boston more easily convinced by the anti immigrant propaganda?

By *bernath OP   Couple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

I think we got to accept people had reasons for why they wanted to leave or stay. Can’t go retreading the same old stuff over and over again, its like a broken record, its frankly non productive.

Time we realised EFTA is the only way. Keeping our freedom and being able to trade with who we want.

If you want oven ready deals that is exactly that. We created the damn thing, we might as go back to it.

thornaby

"

Erm.....

so where are they all going to live say ten years of around 2to 3 thousand a year you think the U.K. code cope really it wouldn’t corse huge problems ?

The world and societies have changed and continue to change and always will.

It is a fact of life that as people get older they don’t want anything to change and yearn for “how things used to be.”

Societies will change, genetics will change and ultimately we (well our future families) will all be coffee coloured people."

o agree with that as people get older they become scared of change remind me again how you voted remain (same) or leave (change) we should learn to embrace change it’s our future lol

wisbech

Are they, well boston which I mentioned in my post voted very heavily leave and it was well reported that the migration issue was a big factor in that. As regards ukip or whatever I have no idea either what they are called now.

Why were the people of Boston more easily convinced by the anti immigrant propaganda? "

You believe they were obviously mate but personally I have no idea what they all believed or didn't, but I can see how migration has changed there town massively in a very short space of time and I doubt all the people who have lived in the area for a long time saw all the changes as a positive for them but thats just my guess and obviously from talking to people and business contacts who live in the area as its kind of on my door step mate.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Why were the people of Boston more easily convinced by the anti immigrant propaganda? "

Because many small towns in Luncolnshire have been changed by migration, and in a short space of time.

Migrants buy up all the cheap housing stock, and live in multiple occupancy. This has caused "ghetto" areas to be created. Its caused resentment amongst locals and younger people, who relied on cheaper housing stock.

Garish 24 hour Eastern European shops have sprung up. High streets have changed. They use "temporary" plastic window signs to get around planning laws. They look awful.

Migrants have a great work ethic. They work hard, at many jobs our locals refuse to do, but they rarely integrate with the locals.

Its been a huge culture shock in such a short space of time. This is conservative land, with a capital C. The reasons for voting Brexit didn't take long to appear.

Thornaby

Why were the people of Boston more easily convinced by the anti immigrant propaganda?

Because many small towns in Luncolnshire have been changed by migration, and in a short space of time.

Migrants buy up all the cheap housing stock, and live in multiple occupancy. This has caused "ghetto" areas to be created. Its caused resentment amongst locals and younger people, who relied on cheaper housing stock.

Garish 24 hour Eastern European shops have sprung up. High streets have changed. They use "temporary" plastic window signs to get around planning laws. They look awful.

Migrants have a great work ethic. They work hard, at many jobs our locals refuse to do, but they rarely integrate with the locals.

Its been a huge culture shock in such a short space of time. This is conservative land, with a capital C. The reasons for voting Brexit didn't take long to appear.

"

Well get in the fields and start harvesting those crops. If you don't want immigration, you are going to have to do the jobs they do.

I'm sorry they don't integrate, bit like most Brits abroad.

By *ebbie69Couple  over a year ago

milton keynes

Time for stability.

Your thoughts?"

When T. May was PM and we had all that back and forth in parliament I thought we was going to end up in EFTA as a compromise. Don't recall what was the problems but think it was rejected. Anyway has it come up again?

Thornaby

Time for stability.

Your thoughts?

When T. May was PM and we had all that back and forth in parliament I thought we was going to end up in EFTA as a compromise. Don't recall what was the problems but think it was rejected. Anyway has it come up again? "

We were told during the referendum that "no one is talking about leaving the single market". The headbangers in the ERG then demanded we leave the single market.

If we join EFTA we get into the single market.

The ERG won't allow it.

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

See this thread rapidly went off topic but hey ho...EFTA.

It’s quite strange isn’t it that the 2016 referendum asked just a single question...

“Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?”

The result completely left open the possibility of:

Joining EFTA

Staying in EEA

Staying in EU Customs Union

Many Remainers, while disappointed with the result, would have been more supportive if we hadn’t just ripped everything up!

It would certainly have been easier to implement!

milton keynes

Time for stability.

Your thoughts?

When T. May was PM and we had all that back and forth in parliament I thought we was going to end up in EFTA as a compromise. Don't recall what was the problems but think it was rejected. Anyway has it come up again?

We were told during the referendum that "no one is talking about leaving the single market". The headbangers in the ERG then demanded we leave the single market.

The ERG won't allow it."

I was pretty certain through the referendum campaign that it meant leaving the single market. With the (then) PM D. Cameron going on tv saying it means leaving the single market and customs union it confirmed it. As I say it was after the referendum when T. May was PM I thought we would end up in something like EFTA as a compromise.

Thornaby

Time for stability.

Your thoughts?

The ERG won't allow it.

I was pretty certain through the referendum campaign that it meant leaving the single market. With the (then) PM D. Cameron going on tv saying it means leaving the single market and customs union it confirmed it. As I say it was after the referendum when T. May was PM I thought we would end up in something like EFTA as a compromise."

As above, when it was floated the ERG headbangers killed it.

They said it would mean being subjected to rules we didn't write.

And in a supreme act of irony promoted pushed for WTO, whose rules we don't write

milton keynes

Time for stability.

Your thoughts?

The ERG won't allow it.

I was pretty certain through the referendum campaign that it meant leaving the single market. With the (then) PM D. Cameron going on tv saying it means leaving the single market and customs union it confirmed it. As I say it was after the referendum when T. May was PM I thought we would end up in something like EFTA as a compromise.

And in a supreme act of irony promoted pushed for WTO, whose rules we don't write "

I think maybe I'm getting my time lines mixed up but during the campaign and at the time of the vote it was clear that leaving meant leaving the single market and customs union. I do however recall after the vote that the possibility of EFTA was raised and as you say this was not what the ERG wanted.

Time for stability.

Your thoughts?

The ERG won't allow it.

And in a supreme act of irony promoted pushed for WTO, whose rules we don't write

I think maybe I'm getting my time lines mixed up but during the campaign and at the time of the vote it was clear that leaving meant leaving the single market and customs union. I do however recall after the vote that the possibility of EFTA was raised and as you say this was not what the ERG wanted. "

Leave had two loud voices, so I'm not sure if anything was clear. And neither voice was going to be in a place to deliver, so neither set of promsies carried any weight.

milton keynes

Time for stability.

Your thoughts?

The ERG won't allow it.

I think maybe I'm getting my time lines mixed up but during the campaign and at the time of the vote it was clear that leaving meant leaving the single market and customs union. I do however recall after the vote that the possibility of EFTA was raised and as you say this was not what the ERG wanted. Leave had two loud voices, so I'm not sure if anything was clear. And neither voice was going to be in a place to deliver, so neither set of promsies carried any weight.

"

Speaking personally it seemed clear to me. I just checked back on the full fact site who confirm that key figures from both the remain and leave campaigns said leaving the EU meant also the single market. They do acknowledge a few people said we would remain in the single market but these were very much the exception. Also confirmed is the then PM (who Said he would implement the result) stated on national tv that the UK would leave the single market in the event of a vote to leave. As I say this is my personal opinion and based on the evidence at the time. I respect anyone's else's opinion and hope you respect mine

North West

Time for stability.

Your thoughts?

The ERG won't allow it.

I think maybe I'm getting my time lines mixed up but during the campaign and at the time of the vote it was clear that leaving meant leaving the single market and customs union. I do however recall after the vote that the possibility of EFTA was raised and as you say this was not what the ERG wanted. Leave had two loud voices, so I'm not sure if anything was clear. And neither voice was going to be in a place to deliver, so neither set of promsies carried any weight.

Speaking personally it seemed clear to me. I just checked back on the full fact site who confirm that key figures from both the remain and leave campaigns said leaving the EU meant also the single market. They do acknowledge a few people said we would remain in the single market but these were very much the exception. Also confirmed is the then PM (who Said he would implement the result) stated on national tv that the UK would leave the single market in the event of a vote to leave. As I say this is my personal opinion and based on the evidence at the time. I respect anyone's else's opinion and hope you respect mine "

“Absolutely nobody is questioning our place in the Single Market.”

Danial Hannan, 2015. In a Leave supporting interview

thornaby

Time for stability.

Your thoughts?

The ERG won't allow it.

Speaking personally it seemed clear to me. I just checked back on the full fact site who confirm that key figures from both the remain and leave campaigns said leaving the EU meant also the single market. They do acknowledge a few people said we would remain in the single market but these were very much the exception. Also confirmed is the then PM (who Said he would implement the result) stated on national tv that the UK would leave the single market in the event of a vote to leave. As I say this is my personal opinion and based on the evidence at the time. I respect anyone's else's opinion and hope you respect mine

Danial Hannan, 2015. In a Leave supporting interview"

so one interview then lol

Thornaby

Time for stability.

Your thoughts?

The ERG won't allow it.

Danial Hannan, 2015. In a Leave supporting interview so one interview then lol"

Gove

“The suggestion that Bosnia, Serbia, Albania and the Ukraine would stay part of this free trade area - and Britain would be on the outside with just Belarus - is as credible as Jean-Claude Juncker joining UKIP.

“Agreeing to maintain this continental free trade zone is the simple course and emphatically in everyone’s interests.”

Arron Banks, a founder of the Leave.EU campaign tweeted in November 2015 “Increasingly the Norway option looks the best for the UK”.

There are other examples, have a look at Full Fact website

milton keynes

Time for stability.

Your thoughts?

The ERG won't allow it.

Danial Hannan, 2015. In a Leave supporting interview"

Just to be clear I was explaining why I expected a leave win to lead to withdrawal of the single market. As I said the full facts site does acknowledge that some said we could still remain in it but these are the exception. The key leading figures said it means leaving the single market including those on the remain side. When I was assessing the position it was evident that this was one of the few things both leave and remain agreed upon. Then shortly before the vote

Our then PM said this live on national tv

“The British public would be voting if we leave would be to leave the EU and leave the single market. We’d then have to negotiate a trade deal from outside with the European Union...  But if we leave the EU and the German finance minister was very clear, you’re either in or you’re out, leaving the single market, you’ve then got to negotiate a trade deal.”

To me if a campaigner for either side claims something will or won't happen I take it as their opinion unless they can show proof. However when the PM says something like the above I admit I give it more weight as he had the power to enact it. Of course at the time no one knew he would push off and leave it to others. We are all different and have different ways of assessing situations but for me when the majority from both sides said it means leaving the single market and the PM confirms it is what he will do I was in no doubt that this would be the outcome should leave win.

Sorry for the long post

thornaby

Time for stability.

Your thoughts?

The ERG won't allow it.

Just to be clear I was explaining why I expected a leave win to lead to withdrawal of the single market. As I said the full facts site does acknowledge that some said we could still remain in it but these are the exception. The key leading figures said it means leaving the single market including those on the remain side. When I was assessing the position it was evident that this was one of the few things both leave and remain agreed upon. Then shortly before the vote

“The British public would be voting if we leave would be to leave the EU and leave the single market. We’d then have to negotiate a trade deal from outside with the European Union...  But if we leave the EU and the German finance minister was very clear, you’re either in or you’re out, leaving the single market, you’ve then got to negotiate a trade deal.”

To me if a campaigner for either side claims something will or won't happen I take it as their opinion unless they can show proof. However when the PM says something like the above I admit I give it more weight as he had the power to enact it. Of course at the time no one knew he would push off and leave it to others. We are all different and have different ways of assessing situations but for me when the majority from both sides said it means leaving the single market and the PM confirms it is what he will do I was in no doubt that this would be the outcome should leave win.

Sorry for the long post

"

I agree amd there was 9 million on the remain leaflet with more info on that it’s remainders bleeding in its history now move on fgs

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

all around

Fair enough, did everyone else who voted for Brexit ?"

The ones with holiday homes in Spain, France etc wanted to stop free movement then couldn't believe it applied to them as well as "the foreigners" lol

Thornaby

Time for stability.

Your thoughts?

The ERG won't allow it.

Sorry for the long post

I agree amd there was 9 million on the remain leaflet with more info on that it’s remainders bleeding in its history now move on fgs "

Firstly that wasn't a remain campaign leaflet. It was the government stating it's position. As it was obliged to do so

Democracy doesn't mean you just go along with a decision if it's bad. You oppose it. At every opportunity

Think about the NHS, the conservatives opposed it when it was set up. Many of them still oppose it now, 70 years on.

» Add a new message to this topic