FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > proportional representation?

proportional representation?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Would you prefer PR to our current system? Yes? No? Why?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *or Fox SakeCouple  over a year ago

Thornaby

"Would you prefer PR to our current system? Yes? No? Why?"

Under PR every vote counts.

So yes.

By *leasure domMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

The lib-dems wanted PR as part of their coalition demands for "sharing power" with the tories, but proper PR was not in the interests of the tory party, so the version of PR which was offered to the electorate wasn't fit for purpose. And no tuition fees, another manifesto promise, was also compromised, so we'll done Nick Clegg, you sold out completely for the ministerial perks.

PR is not in the self-interest of the tories, who are in the business of gaining power rather than honouring democratic principles, so I can't see it being introduced.

Power, corruption, self-enrichment and abuse of democracy - that's the tory way. Always has been, always will be.

By *L RogueMan  over a year ago

London

"Would you prefer PR to our current system? Yes? No? Why?

Under PR every vote counts.

So yes."

This.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Used in northern ireland and doesn't work

Thornaby

"Used in northern ireland and doesn't work"

So having a system where every vote counts doesn't work?

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

Definitely needed in this country to give everyone a voice. It’s madness that a party can acquire just over a third of the votes but have an unassailable majority in parliament. It’s why I believe less and less people vote. What’s the point?

By *al2001Man  over a year ago

kildare

Its used in all of ireland.

Why doesnt it work exactly?

Yes, as stated before, your vote counts,

By *ap d agde coupleCouple  over a year ago

Herne Bay

Yes in favour of it, but doubt very much it will ever happen , not in the interest of Tories or Labour

Definitely…demoralised to live in a constituency which is nailed on for the tories…never feel represented and understand why some people feel voting is pointless

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

PR is really the only true form of democracy. Arguments against are that it opens the door for extremists, but much as that may be distasteful, if a sufficient number of people agree with their views, then they should be represented.

The arguments that support FPTP tend to focus around constituency politics but that is a myth. MPs are whipped by their party to vote a specific way so cannot be said the be representing constituents. Plus as recent days have shown, too many MPs have 2nd/3rd jobs and outside interests that compromise their constituency priorities!

PR will lead to more coalition governments but I would argue that compromise is a good thing and can act as a check & balance on executive policy.

By *lixerMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

PR with a written constitution. And no UK.

"PR is really the only true form of democracy. Arguments against are that it opens the door for extremists, but much as that may be distasteful, if a sufficient number of people agree with their views, then they should be represented.

The arguments that support FPTP tend to focus around constituency politics but that is a myth. MPs are whipped by their party to vote a specific way so cannot be said the be representing constituents. Plus as recent days have shown, too many MPs have 2nd/3rd jobs and outside interests that compromise their constituency priorities!

PR will lead to more coalition governments but I would argue that compromise is a good thing and can act as a check & balance on executive policy."

put better than the attempt I was going to do

"PR is really the only true form of democracy. Arguments against are that it opens the door for extremists, but much as that may be distasteful, if a sufficient number of people agree with their views, then they should be represented.

PR will lead to more coalition governments but I would argue that compromise is a good thing and can act as a check & balance on executive policy."

Well said

By *ebbie69Couple  over a year ago

milton keynes

A cautious yes from me.

Yes because of the same reasons already mentioned here.

Cautious as some extreme positions can gain influence/power. Ukip won the euro elections more than once with PR. Hopefully these things can be mitigated as do prefer the basic principle of PR

By *coptoCouple  over a year ago

Côte d'Azur & Great Yarmouth

"PR will lead to more coalition governments"

Exactly... do we want to end up like Italy with a yearly power struggle (they've had nearly 70 governments since the end of World War II)?

I prefer stability: our minority parties only want PR so they can grab a piece of the pie, that's all.

Brighton

""PR will lead to more coalition governments"

Exactly... do we want to end up like Italy with a yearly power struggle (they've had nearly 70 governments since the end of World War II)?

I prefer stability: our minority parties only want PR so they can grab a piece of the pie, that's all."

Yeah just look at what that stability has got us right now! An 80 seat majority allowing BJ led govt (not going to even call them Tories as they are really proto-fascists) to pretty much do whatever they like and rendering all opposition (ergo checks and balances on the executive) impotent. FPTP is a broken outdated system that allows majority govts even when they do not receive the majority of votes.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

There are many forms of PR. Some countries seem to be better at it than others.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

I prefer stability: our minority parties only want PR so they can grab a piece of the pie, that's all.

Yeah just look at what that stability has got us right now! An 80 seat majority allowing BJ led govt (not going to even call them Tories as they are really proto-fascists) to pretty much do whatever they like and rendering all opposition (ergo checks and balances on the executive) impotent. FPTP is a broken outdated system that allows majority govts even when they do not receive the majority of votes."

Conversely, under PR, you could have 3 parties. One on 45%, another on 40% and one on 15%. Which party has the power there?

Thornaby

Yeah just look at what that stability has got us right now! An 80 seat majority allowing BJ led govt (not going to even call them Tories as they are really proto-fascists) to pretty much do whatever they like and rendering all opposition (ergo checks and balances on the executive) impotent. FPTP is a broken outdated system that allows majority govts even when they do not receive the majority of votes.

Conversely, under PR, you could have 3 parties. One on 45%, another on 40% and one on 15%. Which party has the power there? "

40+15

Or

40+45

Not 40 or 15 on their own

By *mateur100Man  over a year ago

nr faversham

Nearly 1/3 of the electorate didn't vote in the last general election...maybe voting itself should be compulsory before looking at changing the voting system?

Manchester

I prefer stability: our minority parties only want PR so they can grab a piece of the pie, that's all."

Why should at least 30% of the population have no say in how we are governed? At moment it’s 60%.

I was afraid of the Italy scenario but I think we have been held back by our politics too . They are still a top nation despite 70 governments . Recent issues but a lot of that is down to the same attitude as the Greeks . They don’t like to pay their taxes . At least 22% of their GDP is in the black economy.

In Italy the north’s south divide is worse than the centralisation of resource in London for us. ( yes hard to believe it could be worse). This has held back huge potential as it’s done here for decades.

Manchester

"Nearly 1/3 of the electorate didn't vote in the last general election...maybe voting itself should be compulsory before looking at changing the voting system?"

I think more people will vote if they think it counts .

nr faversham

"Nearly 1/3 of the electorate didn't vote in the last general election...maybe voting itself should be compulsory before looking at changing the voting system?

I think more people will vote if they think it counts . "

Every vote counts

Thornaby

"Nearly 1/3 of the electorate didn't vote in the last general election...maybe voting itself should be compulsory before looking at changing the voting system?

Every vote counts"

Really?

Try voting in a fully blue or red constituency

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

It does work in that the fridges don’t hold the power and it forces parties to talk to each other… you tend to get a more moderate form of politics…

Both labour and the conservatives would never agree to it as the current system is skewed towards both of them as the get more seats than they would get otherwise…

See I would like the Scottish devolution election system as that gets the best of both worlds… you still get to keep FPTP, but then the rest is filled in thru PR…

By *coptoCouple  over a year ago

Côte d'Azur & Great Yarmouth

As Mercury said: "There are many forms of PR. Some countries seem to be better at it than others"

I don't know all the systems (party lists, preference votes, secind choices etc.), but in those I do know - and have participated in - you're never quite sure WHO you're voting for.

You may vote for your local Green only because he/she is the best candidate, but your vote is also included in the total to establish the appropriate number of Green MPs.

Which might or might not (probably won't) include your local favourite and some absolute wanker gets into Westminster!

And you've still got an established Red or Blue as your local representative...

"As Mercury said: "There are many forms of PR. Some countries seem to be better at it than others"

I don't know all the systems (party lists, preference votes, secind choices etc.), but in those I do know - and have participated in - you're never quite sure WHO you're voting for.

You may vote for your local Green only because he/she is the best candidate, but your vote is also included in the total to establish the appropriate number of Green MPs.

Which might or might not (probably won't) include your local favourite and some absolute wanker gets into Westminster!

And you've still got an established Red or Blue as your local representative..."

that is the down side... If you believe that MPs act on behalf of constituents rather than follow part lines. They probably are party on major issues and constituents on minor.

Manchester

Every vote counts"

No it doesn’t with First past the post !!

Brighton

[Removed by poster at 16/11/21 15:12:04]

Brighton

Every vote counts"

I hadn’t really heard of EVC but then looked it up. Interesting concept...

“The Every Vote Counts system is simplicity itself. Voters go to the polls and vote for their candidate exactly as they do now. The MP is elected by winning the most number of votes in their constituency exactly as they do now. As far as the voter is concerned they do not have to do anything differently. The ballot papers look the same; the votes are cast in the same way. They get an MP as they do now. What is different is what happens to the votes cast for the candidates that lost.

The votes for losing candidates are not thrown away as now. They are collected across several constituencies, roughly conforming to the County of those constituencies, and these losing votes are counted. The party with the most votes from these losing ballot papers becomes an additional Member of Parliament – a County MP.

To avoid Parliament becoming even more overcrowded, the number of constituency MPs would need to be reduced to make room for the new County MPs and constituency boundaries enlarged accordingly.”

Edited to add quote marks as not my words!

Manchester

I think local councils should all be independent no national party politics. Then only allow MPs to be in national parties . You are then voting for national issues not local. Your local council should then pressure your ejected MP to work on local issues at a national level.

PR votes for parliament would then only be about national issues and truly reflect people’s viewpoints in the chamber.

By *drianukMan  over a year ago

Spain, Lancs

It would hasten the decline of the Labour Party

Thornaby

"It would hasten the decline of the Labour Party"

Spain, Lancs

"It would hasten the decline of the Labour Party

"

Poor comeback. Try again

Thornaby

Poor comeback. Try again"

No point. You didn't understand the first one.

Spain, Lancs

Poor comeback. Try again

"

But, but, but... you're comment was an emoji. Can't you do better than that.

Labour will be finished with PR. Bring it on

Thornaby

Poor comeback. Try again

Labour will be finished with PR. Bring it on"

Why should I make an effort for you?

It's not as if you introduce interesting insights.

Spain, Lancs

Poor comeback. Try again

"

Thornaby

Poor comeback. Try again

"

So if an emoji is a poor come back, then by your logic, two must be doubly so .

Spain, Lancs

Poor comeback. Try again

So if an emoji is a poor come back, then by your logic, two must be doubly so ."

But I made the point that PR will finish the Labour party.

If you disagree, say why

nr faversham

Every vote counts

I hadn’t really heard of EVC but then looked it up. Interesting concept...

“The Every Vote Counts system is simplicity itself. Voters go to the polls and vote for their candidate exactly as they do now. The MP is elected by winning the most number of votes in their constituency exactly as they do now. As far as the voter is concerned they do not have to do anything differently. The ballot papers look the same; the votes are cast in the same way. They get an MP as they do now. What is different is what happens to the votes cast for the candidates that lost.

The votes for losing candidates are not thrown away as now. They are collected across several constituencies, roughly conforming to the County of those constituencies, and these losing votes are counted. The party with the most votes from these losing ballot papers becomes an additional Member of Parliament – a County MP.

To avoid Parliament becoming even more overcrowded, the number of constituency MPs would need to be reduced to make room for the new County MPs and constituency boundaries enlarged accordingly.”

Edited to add quote marks as not my words!"

So every vote DOES count?

» Add a new message to this topic