FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > So much for the northern powerhouse then…

So much for the northern powerhouse then…

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *abio OP   Man  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

Well…… the transport side of this has been shafted hs2 eastern side scrapped and Manchester to Leeds gone!!!

Notice that hs2 was scrapped from the East Midlands up… all those Tory blue seats being connected with London

Yorkshire and the north east got jobbed big time…. All that transport spending in London and the south east

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

I never believed we would get it.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Northern powerhouse" is and always was a meaningless buzzword/phrase. I'm sure Johnson never had any intention of truly carrying out anything meaningful when it comes to the North. Given his track record with truth, I'm surprised anybody believed him at all.

Would it have made a massive difference if it wasn't scrapped?

Coming from a place that it was going to tear up im so fooking happy

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Plenty to say on this one!

The dynamics of commuting were changed due to covid. Not so demand to get upto London these days, which was the primary function of HS2.

Many didn't want it anyway. It only benefited a few and those that the building impacted, gained the least.

I forecast in the budget thread a few weeks ago, that the Eastern leg was gone. I debated many years ago, that spiralling costs would kill it off. And so its proved to be.

Yes, it goes to East Midlands Parkway. A station in the middle of nowhere. Its not Nottingham, not Derby, certainly not Leicester and not East Midlands airport. It will sit on part of the proposed East Midlands freeport but to go anywhere else, will require a seperate onward journey.

Our propsed Toton hub is now in the balance. The new HS2 station there, was going to be the centrepiece of a new science based enterprise park, with the potential of 70000 plus new jobs. It may still go ahead but now needs vast private capital input.

The huge problem with Manchester to Leeds is construction. There is a mountain range in the way, and its hard rock and very wet. It would be a nightmare to build. Not impossible but upgrading the existing victorian infrastructure may well be the cheaper option.

I think that rail users are demanding better cost to benefits now, as is the taxpayer. It remains to be seen if this plan realises this goal.

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"Plenty to say on this one!

The dynamics of commuting were changed due to covid. Not so demand to get upto London these days, which was the primary function of HS2.

Many didn't want it anyway. It only benefited a few and those that the building impacted, gained the least.

I forecast in the budget thread a few weeks ago, that the Eastern leg was gone. I debated many years ago, that spiralling costs would kill it off. And so its proved to be.

Yes, it goes to East Midlands Parkway. A station in the middle of nowhere. Its not Nottingham, not Derby, certainly not Leicester and not East Midlands airport. It will sit on part of the proposed East Midlands freeport but to go anywhere else, will require a seperate onward journey.

Our propsed Toton hub is now in the balance. The new HS2 station there, was going to be the centrepiece of a new science based enterprise park, with the potential of 70000 plus new jobs. It may still go ahead but now needs vast private capital input.

The huge problem with Manchester to Leeds is construction. There is a mountain range in the way, and its hard rock and very wet. It would be a nightmare to build. Not impossible but upgrading the existing victorian infrastructure may well be the cheaper option.

I think that rail users are demanding better cost to benefits now, as is the taxpayer. It remains to be seen if this plan realises this goal. "

the pennine mountain range has several unused tunnels through them 2 at standage problem is capacity from stalybridge to Marsden the line is limited to two track which is also severly speed resticted due to some preety sharp curvature following the valley floor .either side of this there is great potential for capacity increases .the bigest shame was the closire of the whole of the fully electrified woodhead route to sheffield by the Thatcher govt in the 1980s typical short sighted Tory dogma driven closure

The whole hs2 should be scrapped. Big waste of money

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

"The whole hs2 should be scrapped. Big waste of money"

By *or Fox SakeCouple  over a year ago

Thornaby

Northern powerhouse is just another slogan from BoZo Johnson.

It appears to mean very little.

Grantham

"Plenty to say on this one!

I think that rail users are demanding better cost to benefits now, as is the taxpayer. It remains to be seen if this plan realises this goal. the pennine mountain range has several unused tunnels through them 2 at standage problem is capacity from stalybridge to Marsden the line is limited to two track which is also severly speed resticted due to some preety sharp curvature following the valley floor .either side of this there is great potential for capacity increases .the bigest shame was the closire of the whole of the fully electrified woodhead route to sheffield by the Thatcher govt in the 1980s typical short sighted Tory dogma driven closure "

Woodhead shut in 1981 as a rail route, although passenger services finished in 1970.

The problem it had, was it was a totally different electric system to the rest of the electrified network. The infrastructure was from the 1950s, and was in need of expensive replacement.

Its main purpose in the last few years of service, was moving coal from Yorkshire to Merseyside, a declining and expensive market.

These factors sealed its fate, although there are plans to try and bring passenger services back from Stocksbridge to Sheffield.

Grantham

"Northern powerhouse is just another slogan from BoZo Johnson.

It appears to mean very little."

I believe that George Osborne first coined the phrase.

Thornaby

I believe that George Osborne first coined the phrase. "

And I believe BoZo Johnson is still paying lip service to it.

It's just another thing he can break promises about

By *andy 1Couple  over a year ago

northeast

allthe people that where going to get there houses nocked down will be happy bless them

Grantham

It's just another thing he can break promises about"

True but I can remember back to the 1990s, and John Prescott in 1993, Frank Dobson and Tony Blair in 1995, all promising to renationalise the railways.

They had over 13 years in Goverment and never even got started on it.

Thornaby

True but I can remember back to the 1990s, and John Prescott in 1993, Frank Dobson and Tony Blair in 1995, all promising to renationalise the railways.

They had over 13 years in Goverment and never even got started on it. "

so if BoZo trots that out as an exscuse, does that make breaking (yet another)promise acceptable?

Grantham

so if BoZo trots that out as an exscuse, does that make breaking (yet another)promise acceptable?"

Thats up for the electorate to decide.

Does Boris Johnson lie? Yes he does.

Is he alone in this? No he isn't.

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

"Well…… the transport side of this has been shafted hs2 eastern side scrapped and Manchester to Leeds gone!!!

Notice that hs2 was scrapped from the East Midlands up… all those Tory blue seats being connected with London

Yorkshire and the north east got jobbed big time…. All that transport spending in London and the south east "

always thought it was a waste of money and all to benefit London more important for the north is to link the northern city’s

By *hybloke67Man  over a year ago

ROMFORD

The question that needs to be addressed is what do rail uses want and when do they want it.

Faster journey times.

Increased capacity.

When.

The new proposal gives fater journey times not all the same as what HS2 would be but still faster.

It also gives increased capacity.

Changing the signalling means more trains can run on the track at the same time.

Rail users want it now, the new proposals give the rail users the changes 10 to 15 years earlier than HS2 would.

Personally if I lived up north I would be happy that the changes are going to happen earlier.

If you lived in London you would know Crossrail was due to open in 2018. It's still not open and is supposed to open summer 2022 but that date is not set in stone and unlikely to happen.

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

so if BoZo trots that out as an exscuse, does that make breaking (yet another)promise acceptable?

Is he alone in this? No he isn't. "

But he has taken it to another level. Has he ever delivered on any promise or pledge? Other than ‘get Brexit done’ and that was all based on lies.

Oven ready deal anyone?

I've not looked at the numbers but feels like he's pulled the HS2 money and given local areas new budget, to avoid being accountable.

A cynic may say he's given the north their inheritance early and kicked them out of the house. Go become a powerhouse. But don't rely on London for any income ...

Grantham

Whats not been mentioned, is money has now been made available to get the Leeds tramway system started.

Leeds is the largest city in Western Europe without a proper metro system.

Thornaby

"Whats not been mentioned, is money has now been made available to get the Leeds tramway system started.

"

He's broken,yet another, promise.

By *leasure domMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Serial liar and psychopath caught out lying again shocker

"Whats not been mentioned, is money has now been made available to get the Leeds tramway system started.

"

another white elephant Sheffield has one 25 yrs of shit building it Rd works and still hardly anyone uses it

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

They had over 13 years in Goverment and never even got started on it. "

that was largley down to the ways the railway had been privatised by the previous Tory government locked into long term leasing and operating contracts that would of far out weighed the cost of hs2 to break and re nationalise .coming on top of the railtrack debacle it was considered to expensive and risky .

By *ittleAcornMan  over a year ago

"I've not looked at the numbers but feels like he's pulled the HS2 money and given local areas new budget, to avoid being accountable.

A cynic may say he's given the north their inheritance early and kicked them out of the house. Go become a powerhouse. But don't rely on London for any income ...

"

You say the North, but it would appear only those constituencies that vote Tory are rewarded with this levelling up (another nice phrase that means very little) cash.

another white elephant Sheffield has one 25 yrs of shit building it Rd works and still hardly anyone uses it "

Tbf, the Manchester metro is very good

ROMFORD

He's broken,yet another, promise."

So you are saying the PM promised not to build the Leeds metro but has now broken that promise by saying it is to be built?

I would have thought the people of Leeds were happy he has changed his mind.

I guess you don't live in Leeds yourself.!

Thornaby

So you are saying the PM promised not to build the Leeds metro but has now broken that promise by saying it is to be built?

I guess you don't live in Leeds yourself.!"

For the avoidance of doubt;

BoZo Johnson categorically promised to build HS2 in full

Repeatedly.

He has broken that promise.

thornaby

Repeatedly.

He has broken that promise."

I think that’s been made very clear on here

Thornaby

Repeatedly.

He has broken that promise.I think that’s been made very clear on here "

Agreed

thornaby

Repeatedly.

He has broken that promise.I think that’s been made very clear on here

Agreed"

so are you happy about hs2now then ?

ROMFORD

Repeatedly.

So you would rather rail passengers wait until the 2040's to have improved rail services.

Personally I think the rail paengers will be happier that they will have rail improvements 10 to 15 years earlier than HS2.

Repeatedly.

So you would rather rail passengers wait until the 2040's to have improved rail services.

Personally I think the rail paengers will be happier that they will have rail improvements 10 to 15 years earlier than HS2."

He lied about HS2, so what makes you think he is telling the truth about the revised plan?

thornaby

Repeatedly.

Personally I think the rail paengers will be happier that they will have rail improvements 10 to 15 years earlier than HS2.

He lied about HS2, so what makes you think he is telling the truth about the revised plan? "

whete you all for hs2 then ?

ROMFORD

Repeatedly.

He lied about HS2, so what makes you think he is telling the truth about the revised plan? "

Actually a lie is saying something you know is untrue when you say it.

I don't think he did lie.

Repeatedly.

He lied about HS2, so what makes you think he is telling the truth about the revised plan? whete you all for hs2 then ?"

I wasn’t that bothered either way, but my opinion is irrelevant, he made promises , he didn’t keep them, so why do you believe he is now telling the truth ?

Repeatedly.

He lied about HS2, so what makes you think he is telling the truth about the revised plan?

I don't think he did lie."

Technically you are correct , he broke a promise though, he can easily do that again and again and again

Repeatedly.

Technically you are correct , he broke a promise though, he can easily do that again and again and again "

Tbh, to be more accurate, he went back on his word

thornaby

Repeatedly.

He lied about HS2, so what makes you think he is telling the truth about the revised plan? whete you all for hs2 then ?

I wasn’t that bothered either way, but my opinion is irrelevant, he made promises , he didn’t keep them, so why do you believe he is now telling the truth ?"

so your not really upset about it then ? Atleast he’s gave you something else to moan about then personally I’m glad I always thought was a huge waste of money and could be spent better elsewhere

ROMFORD

Repeatedly.

He lied about HS2, so what makes you think he is telling the truth about the revised plan? whete you all for hs2 then ?"

With the new proposal of improved journey times, increased capacity and delivery 10 to 15 years quicker than HS2 I think its a good result for the areas concerned.

Funny how none of these complainers are shouting about the transport services being cut by the Labour Mayor of London because of mismanagement.

100 bus routes axed.

200 bus routes reduced

Closure of Royhhithe tunnel.

Closure of Gallows corner flyover.

Delaying of underground fleet replacement to 2040.

Plus many more.

Thornaby

Repeatedly.

He lied about HS2, so what makes you think he is telling the truth about the revised plan? whete you all for hs2 then ?

With the new proposal of improved journey times, increased capacity and delivery 10 to 15 years quicker than HS2 I think its a good result for the areas concerned.

Funny how none of these complainers are shouting about the transport services being cut by the Labour Mayor of London because of mismanagement.

100 bus routes axed.

200 bus routes reduced

Closure of Royhhithe tunnel.

Closure of Gallows corner flyover.

Delaying of underground fleet replacement to 2040.

Plus many more."

did he promise anything about them?

As BoZo did re HS2

Repeatedly.

I wasn’t that bothered either way, but my opinion is irrelevant, he made promises , he didn’t keep them, so why do you believe he is now telling the truth ?so your not really upset about it then ? Atleast he’s gave you something else to moan about then personally I’m glad I always thought was a huge waste of money and could be spent better elsewhere "

Why did he keep promising it would happen then? And I will ask again, what makes you think he will keep to his word this time?

By *abio OP   Man  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Well…… the transport side of this has been shafted hs2 eastern side scrapped and Manchester to Leeds gone!!!

Yorkshire and the north east got jobbed big time…. All that transport spending in London and the south east always thought it was a waste of money and all to benefit London more important for the north is to link the northern city’s "

In effect the high speed lines would have eventually connected Newcastle,Leeds, Manchester and Liverpool with the connections to Sheffield and Hull ect…

Also East midland parkway is basically close enough to Loughborough where it would slash times to places like Derby and Nottingham

Still though… there is no dispute that Yorkshire and north east England got jobbed by this

ROMFORD

Repeatedly.

Technically you are correct , he broke a promise though, he can easily do that again and again and again "

Good you agree it wasn't a lie.

Maybe others on here will take note.!

By *drianukMan  over a year ago

Spain, Lancs

I think voters in the north want less wokery.

I'd like to also see Whitehall departments moved...the internet means that such departments no longer have to be in central London.

Lower taxes would help

"I think voters in the north want less wokery.

I'd like to also see Whitehall departments moved...the internet means that such departments no longer have to be in central London.

Lower taxes would help"

Evidence that the ‘voters in the north west want less wokery’

Spain, Lancs

Lower taxes would help

Evidence that the ‘voters in the north west want less wokery’"

You think they want more? No doubt some do, but not many.

Recent election results and the Brexit referendum shows they don't like being told how to speak and think.

By all means Labour can offer more wokery. Let the people decide!

Lower taxes would help

Recent election results and the Brexit referendum shows they don't like being told how to speak and think.

By all means Labour can offer more wokery. Let the people decide!"

Evidence ?

Spain, Lancs

Lower taxes would help

Evidence ?"

We'll have to see future election results, won't we?

But the Labour vote is at historic low levels and more working-class people voted Tory than Labour at the last election. Not looking good.

Labour s decline seems to be accelerating as the middle-class wokies advance within it

Lower taxes would help

Evidence ?

But the Labour vote is at historic low levels and more working-class people voted Tory than Labour at the last election. Not looking good.

Labour s decline seems to be accelerating as the middle-class wokies advance within it"

No evidence then?

Spain, Lancs

Lower taxes would help

Evidence ?

Labour s decline seems to be accelerating as the middle-class wokies advance within it

No evidence then? "

Yes, plenty. Look at recent votes.

Lower taxes would help

Evidence ?

No evidence then?

Yes, plenty. Look at recent votes. "

What has that got to do with your claim ‘the northwest want less wokery’. Evidence please

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

Lower taxes would help

By all means Labour can offer more wokery. Let the people decide!"

Top notch brexit banter.

Spain, Lancs

Lower taxes would help

Evidence ?

No evidence then?

What has that got to do with your claim ‘the northwest want less wokery’. Evidence please "

Hmm. You're determined to put your fingers in your ears, aren't you?

The voters are telling you something!

Fair enough. Your loss.

Why not wait to see the results of future elections if you think current results should be ignored?

Lower taxes would help

Top notch brexit banter.

"

Lower taxes would help

Evidence ?

No evidence then?

What has that got to do with your claim ‘the northwest want less wokery’. Evidence please

Fair enough. Your loss.

Why not wait to see the results of future elections if you think current results should be ignored? "

I still haven’t seen you provide the evidence, good effort though

Lower taxes would help

Evidence ?

No evidence then?

Fair enough. Your loss.

Why not wait to see the results of future elections if you think current results should be ignored? "

What are the ‘wokery’ levels in Spain?

Repeatedly.

thank God never wanted it wasn't going to help us here.

thornaby

Repeatedly.

He has broken that promise.thank God never wanted it wasn't going to help us here."

going by this thread not many did want it so I fail to see why so many are upset lol

ROMFORD

Repeatedly.

He has broken that promise.thank God never wanted it wasn't going to help us here.going by this thread not many did want it so I fail to see why so many are upset lol"

Obviously it's a chance for the left to moan about something, regardless whether they wanted it or not.

This morning on BBC breakfast Kier Stamer got called out when he started to moan about HS2 it was pointed out to him he had tweeted against having HS2. Lol

thornaby

Repeatedly.

He has broken that promise.thank God never wanted it wasn't going to help us here.going by this thread not many did want it so I fail to see why so many are upset lol

Obviously it's a chance for the left to moan about something, regardless whether they wanted it or not.

This morning on BBC breakfast Kier Stamer got called out when he started to moan about HS2 it was pointed out to him he had tweeted against having HS2. Lol"

haha just typical

Spain, Lancs

Lower taxes would help

Evidence ?

No evidence then?

Fair enough. Your loss.

Why not wait to see the results of future elections if you think current results should be ignored?

I still haven’t seen you provide the evidence, good effort though "

No evidence? I've told you where to look... recent election results.

It's quite clear you don't want to know anything that contradicts your prejudice.

So be it

Spain, Lancs

Repeatedly.

He has broken that promise.thank God never wanted it wasn't going to help us here.going by this thread not many did want it so I fail to see why so many are upset lol

This morning on BBC breakfast Kier Stamer got called out when he started to moan about HS2 it was pointed out to him he had tweeted against having HS2. Lol"

The left are the equivalent of a child putting it's fingers in its ears and screaming

By *irtylittletramp100TV/TS  over a year ago

Notts

The labour party and co should be embarrassed by the fact they can't oust an Eton idiot, a bumbling buffoon, a tittle tattling toff, a blonde boar, a..... ok..... you know what i mean

Lower taxes would help

Evidence ?

No evidence then?

Fair enough. Your loss.

It's quite clear you don't want to know anything that contradicts your prejudice.

So be it"

Just to clarify, what is your version of ‘Wokery’ and why are only non Tory and remain voters woke?

golden fields

"The labour party and co should be embarrassed by the fact they can't oust an Eton idiot, a bumbling buffoon, a tittle tattling toff, a blonde boar, a..... ok..... you know what i mean "

Why is it the Labour parties responsibility?

The electorate keep voting for these self serving aristocrats.

"The labour party and co should be embarrassed by the fact they can't oust an Eton idiot, a bumbling buffoon, a tittle tattling toff, a blonde boar, a..... ok..... you know what i mean "

It happens, just like the Tories couldn’t oust Blair, 3 times

Seems the tory party successfully convinced many that labour were for the woke and that they were the better bet for the working class.

Even if labour do focus on "woke" issues more than some would like, I'm suprised that so many thought the Tories were a better choice for them.

(Tho I wonder if it was more a brexit vote that needed just enough other fluff to get ppl over the floor)

Imo a woke labour (which often means "looking out for those disadvantage by power imbalances") would look after many a lot more than the Tories.

See: the long term health care tweaks.

Notts

"The labour party and co should be embarrassed by the fact they can't oust an Eton idiot, a bumbling buffoon, a tittle tattling toff, a blonde boar, a..... ok..... you know what i mean

The electorate keep voting for these self serving aristocrats. "

the oppositions job is to be an effective opposition! what you want people just to vote labour?

golden fields

"The labour party and co should be embarrassed by the fact they can't oust an Eton idiot, a bumbling buffoon, a tittle tattling toff, a blonde boar, a..... ok..... you know what i mean

The electorate keep voting for these self serving aristocrats.

the oppositions job is to be an effective opposition! what you want people just to vote labour? "

I don't "want" anything specific.

Just seems odd to blame Labour for people voting for self serving aristocrats who only care about getting rich at the expense of everyone else.

Seems far too simplistic to blame Labour.

1. They're not the only opposition

2. People could choose not to vote for the Tories regardless of what Labour are doing.

3. Lots of people don't pay much attention, and just vote for the same party over and over.

4. A large proportion of the media don't cover the governments self serving nature in much detail.

5. There are other issues, such as people who voted to "get Brexit done". Which was apparently worth voting Conservative for.

6. People just don't care. As an example all the people on here who say things like "well all governments lie/line their own pockets/are corrupt etc".

As a few examples. There's much more that people not liking Labours policies or leader.

By *eanoCoolMan  over a year ago

wisbech

Repeatedly.

He has broken that promise.thank God never wanted it wasn't going to help us here.going by this thread not many did want it so I fail to see why so many are upset lol"

Have to agree there foxy, several of the people being vocal about it in this thread were previously dead against it and saying what a waste of money it was, really is funny how people seemed to have changed there minds now

Personally I was never in favour of it, always felt far to much money for the benefits and was always going to be so late being commissioned that it would be out dated by the time is was complete. If the government carries through with the announcement the other day I think far more people will benefit than the privileged hs2 crew.

Repeatedly.

Have to agree there foxy, several of the people being vocal about it in this thread were previously dead against it and saying what a waste of money it was, really is funny how people seemed to have changed there minds now

Personally I was never in favour of it, always felt far to much money for the benefits and was always going to be so late being commissioned that it would be out dated by the time is was complete. If the government carries through with the announcement the other day I think far more people will benefit than the privileged hs2 crew."

Has it been scraped or just shelved, hearing they are spending £100 million on a study it might be re introduced in the future

Spain, Lancs

Lower taxes would help

Evidence ?

No evidence then?

Fair enough. Your loss.

So be it

Just to clarify, what is your version of ‘Wokery’ and why are only non Tory and remain voters woke? "

Wokism is racism, sexism, discrimination, illiberalism, authoritarianism, hatred, opposition to free speech and thought, division, group identity and rivalry...

Lower taxes would help

Evidence ?

No evidence then?

Fair enough. Your loss.

So be it

Just to clarify, what is your version of ‘Wokery’ and why are only non Tory and remain voters woke?

Wokism is racism, sexism, discrimination, illiberalism, authoritarianism, hatred, opposition to free speech and thought, division, group identity and rivalry..."

Right, now I can see why your so confused, noted

Spain, Lancs

Lower taxes would help

Evidence ?

No evidence then?

Fair enough. Your loss.

So be it

Wokism is racism, sexism, discrimination, illiberalism, authoritarianism, hatred, opposition to free speech and thought, division, group identity and rivalry...

Right, now I can see why your so confused, noted "

Not at all. I am liberal. The woke are illiberal and don't believe in people having views they don't approve of

They try to get people to lose their jobs. They stop people expressing views they don't like.

They get talks cancelled.

I am liberal. I oppose all of that. Why am I confused?

Lower taxes would help

Evidence ?

No evidence then?

Fair enough. Your loss.

So be it

Not at all. I am liberal. The woke are illiberal and don't believe in people having views they don't approve of

They try to get people to lose their jobs. They stop people expressing views they don't like.

I am liberal. I oppose all of that. Why am I confused?"

Your very confused, it’s actually quite worrying

golden fields

Lower taxes would help

Evidence ?

No evidence then?

Fair enough. Your loss.

So be it

I am liberal. I oppose all of that. Why am I confused?"

This is some of the maddest shit I've ever read. Are you on a wind up?

Lower taxes would help

Evidence ?

No evidence then?

Fair enough. Your loss.

So be it

This is some of the maddest shit I've ever read. Are you on a wind up? "

I hope so

His Brexit material was good

His climate denial material was good

His anti woke material , not so good , atm

Looking forward to his covid denial material

golden fields

Lower taxes would help

Evidence ?

No evidence then?

Fair enough. Your loss.

So be it

I hope so

Looking forward to his covid denial material "

The climate confusion/anger was good!

This is just saying the most random nonsense possible.

"The pope is a Buddhist, Hitler was a hippie, pacifists are violent etc."

Lower taxes would help

Evidence ?

No evidence then?

Fair enough. Your loss.

So be it

I hope so

Looking forward to his covid denial material

The climate confusion/anger was good!

This is just saying the most random nonsense possible.

"The pope is a Buddhist, Hitler was a hippie, pacifists are violent etc.""

Spain, Lancs

Someone who is 'woke' is the precise opposite of a liberal. They are authoritarian.

They believe in people not being able to speak freely. They want people to be sacked.

The woke are illiberal. In what way are they not authoritarian/illiberal?

golden fields

"Someone who is 'woke' is the precise opposite of a liberal. They are authoritarian.

They believe in people not being able to speak freely. They want people to be sacked.

The woke are illiberal. In what way are they not authoritarian/illiberal?"

Lol

I've no clue what you're on about, or why, or what this has got to do with anything. But it's very funny.

I've got a few questions. Which of the following people would you say are "woke", and which are "not woke"?

Hitler

Gandhi

Thatcher

Pol Pot

Genghis Khan

Donald Trump

Spain, Lancs

"Someone who is 'woke' is the precise opposite of a liberal. They are authoritarian.

Lol

I've no clue what you're on about, or why, or what this has got to do with anything. But it's very funny.

I've got a few questions. Which of the following people would you say are "woke", and which are "not woke"?

Hitler

Gandhi

Thatcher

Pol Pot

Genghis Khan

Donald Trump

"

None.

Why is that funny?

What do you think liberalism is?

golden fields

Lol

Hitler

Gandhi

Thatcher

Pol Pot

Genghis Khan

Donald Trump

None.

Why is that funny?

What do you think liberalism is?"

Ok they're all non-woke liberals. Check.

What about:

Kier Starmer

Grigori Rasputin

Carl Marx

Mother Theresa

Nigel Farage

liberalism:

noun

willingness to respect or accept behaviour or opinions different from one's own; openness to new ideas.

a political and social philosophy that promotes individual rights, civil liberties, democracy, and free enterprise.

Spain, Lancs

Lol

Hitler

Gandhi

Thatcher

Pol Pot

Genghis Khan

Donald Trump

None.

Why is that funny?

What about:

Kier Starmer

Grigori Rasputin

Carl Marx

Mother Theresa

Nigel Farage

liberalism:

noun

willingness to respect or accept behaviour or opinions different from one's own; openness to new ideas.

a political and social philosophy that promotes individual rights, civil liberties, democracy, and free enterprise."

In what way do the 'woke' respect different opinions? Or civil liberties? Or free speech? Or individual rights. Or democracy?

Am I correct in saying it is the woke who try to get opinions banned? Who think the holders of opinions they don't like should be sacked?

The woke are authoritarian, not liberal

Spain, Lancs

Lol

Hitler

Gandhi

Thatcher

Pol Pot

Genghis Khan

Donald Trump

None.

Why is that funny?

What about:

Kier Starmer

Grigori Rasputin

Carl Marx

Mother Theresa

Nigel Farage

liberalism:

noun

a political and social philosophy that promotes individual rights, civil liberties, democracy, and free enterprise."

Do you feel the 'woke' respect or accept behaviour/opinions different to their own? Do you think your own behaviour and responses to my views demonstrate that?

Notts

Lower taxes would help

Evidence ?

No evidence then?

Fair enough. Your loss.

So be it

This is some of the maddest shit I've ever read. Are you on a wind up? "

Its not mad! I love you so much I'm going to smoother you to death lol I'd let you fly but it's too dangerous .... yes I know what's best

golden fields

Lol

Hitler

Gandhi

Thatcher

Pol Pot

Genghis Khan

Donald Trump

None.

Why is that funny?

What about:

Kier Starmer

Grigori Rasputin

Carl Marx

Mother Theresa

Nigel Farage

liberalism:

noun

a political and social philosophy that promotes individual rights, civil liberties, democracy, and free enterprise.

In what way do the 'woke' respect different opinions? Or civil liberties? Or free speech? Or individual rights. Or democracy?

Am I correct in saying it is the woke who try to get opinions banned? Who think the holders of opinions they don't like should be sacked?

The woke are authoritarian, not liberal"

Lol

I've no idea what you're talking about.

Apart from Gandhi, the first bunch would seem to fit your definition:

Hitler, Thatcher, Pol Pot, Genghis Khan and Donald Trump:

Didn't respect different opinions, civil liberties, free speech, individual rights or democracy.

Are you sure those lot aren't "the woke"?

golden fields

Lol

Hitler

Gandhi

Thatcher

Pol Pot

Genghis Khan

Donald Trump

None.

Why is that funny?

What about:

Kier Starmer

Grigori Rasputin

Carl Marx

Mother Theresa

Nigel Farage

liberalism:

noun

Do you feel the 'woke' respect or accept behaviour/opinions different to their own? Do you think your own behaviour and responses to my views demonstrate that?"

What about Mussolini, was he one of "the woke"?

Spain, Lancs

Lol

Hitler

Gandhi

Thatcher

Pol Pot

Genghis Khan

Donald Trump

None.

Why is that funny?

What about:

Kier Starmer

Grigori Rasputin

Carl Marx

Mother Theresa

Nigel Farage

liberalism:

noun

Do you feel the 'woke' respect or accept behaviour/opinions different to their own? Do you think your own behaviour and responses to my views demonstrate that?

What about Mussolini, was he one of "the woke"?"

You're wriggling.

In what way does woke respect different views?

golden fields

Lol

Hitler

Gandhi

Thatcher

Pol Pot

Genghis Khan

Donald Trump

None.

Why is that funny?

What about:

Kier Starmer

Grigori Rasputin

Carl Marx

Mother Theresa

Nigel Farage

liberalism:

noun

You're wriggling.

In what way does woke respect different views?"

Honestly, I haven't got a clue what you're talking about.

Who are "the woke"? Tell me that, so I know what you're asking.

Spain, Lancs

Lol

Hitler

Gandhi

Thatcher

Pol Pot

Genghis Khan

Donald Trump

None.

Why is that funny?

What about:

Kier Starmer

Grigori Rasputin

Carl Marx

Mother Theresa

Nigel Farage

liberalism:

noun

You're wriggling.

Who are "the woke"? Tell me that, so I know what you're asking. "

Ha. Your usual tactic when you can't answer!

I've put it as simply as possible. I suggest you read the thread.

Spain, Lancs

Where's Fabt gone?

golden fields

Lol

Hitler

Gandhi

Thatcher

Pol Pot

Genghis Khan

Donald Trump

None.

Why is that funny?

What about:

Kier Starmer

Grigori Rasputin

Carl Marx

Mother Theresa

Nigel Farage

liberalism:

noun

You're wriggling.

Who are "the woke"? Tell me that, so I know what you're asking.

Ha. Your usual tactic when you can't answer!

I've put it as simply as possible. I suggest you read the thread."

So in summary.

In a thread about the government cancelling part of the HS2. You're outraged by "the woke". You can't tell anyone who they are. But you demand answers to some random questions about "the woke".

Interesting.

Lower taxes would help

Evidence ?

No evidence then?

Fair enough. Your loss.

So be it

Wokism is racism, sexism, discrimination, illiberalism, authoritarianism, hatred, opposition to free speech and thought, division, group identity and rivalry..."

at most, someone can throw the anti semitism aspect of labour into this pot ... What else does labour do to get called woke?

Presumably the Tories will be woke if they bring in anything around mandatory passports. And as the party that thrives on brexit (divisions), does that make them woke?

I always had woke meant being awake to injustices. Admittedly some go to far. But o always had labour being the part for fighting injustice. It's jusy sometimes you aren't always the underdog ...

By *acreadCouple  over a year ago

central scotland

Is he alone in this? No he isn't. "

In all my years I have never known any MP to lie as much as Johnson, in fact he hardly ever speaks the truth and maybe never does.

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

in defence of those who identify as the so-called 'anti-woke' ... just because they are paranoid, it doesn't mean to say that people aren't talking about them

golden fields

"in defence of those who identify as the so-called 'anti-woke' ... just because they are paranoid, it doesn't mean to say that people aren't talking about them "

I don't even know who "the woke" are.

Some guy above seems outraged by them though.

By *rFunBoyMan  over a year ago

Longridge

I believe that George Osborne first coined the phrase. "

He sure did as well as licking Xi Jinping's ring over China being our bezzy mate.

How that's gone tits up the last 3 years, same as all Osborne's plans

have

» Add a new message to this topic