FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Boris’s “Sanctions”

Boris’s “Sanctions”

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *bernath OP   Couple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

5 Banks and 3 Individuals, clearly they don’t give donations to the tories, pathetic.

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"5 Banks and 3 Individuals, clearly they don’t give donations to the tories, pathetic."

The danger of pilling everything on at once is that if you do that the Russians pay no further penalty for moving on Kiev…

Nordstream 2 being halted by the Germans is a good start! I am surprised they didn’t go after RT yet…

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"5 Banks and 3 Individuals, clearly they don’t give donations to the tories, pathetic."

Wait until they see a photo of Liz Truss in a tank, that will stop Putin

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

What about football club owners

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

what about donors to johnsons leadership bid. Alexander Temerko, has contributed more than £1 million to the Conservatives since he gained British citizenship in 2011 and also financed Johnson’s leadership campaign. According to Reuters, Temerko describes himself as a “friend” who would “plot” late into the night over a bottle of wine when Johnson became Foreign Secretary. He admitted to being behind early plots to remove Theresa May. the conservative and unionist party government have their loyalties split by their sucking up to russian wealth. sweet talking mutual friends of putin for cash out of one side of their mouth whilst lying to the country out of the other side.

"5 Banks and 3 Individuals, clearly they don’t give donations to the tories, pathetic.

What about football club owners "

Abramovich?

what about FSB lebdev. the fella that johnson was repeatedly partying with at his villa in tuscany, laterly instead of attending vital cobra meetings in 2020 while covid was running rampant in the uk.

By *amantMan  over a year ago

Alnmouth

The oligarchs we have targeted have been sanctioned by the US since 2018. Going after the banks is a good start but we clearly have a long way to go. I think the Russian plan will be to take the entirety of the Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts, as has been indicated by their recognition of the 'people's republics' territories, including land currently under Ukrainian control. If there is a Western military response, there could definitely be a rush to Kyiv by the Russians. Others who've been sanctioned include Andrey Akimov has also been sanctioned by the US since 2018, he's managed to evade it by ourselves and the EU. Those in the Duma must also face sanctions now. In the Duma, Vladimir Zhirinovsky has in the past advocated for the burning of Paris and the destruction of Poland and the Baltic states. That I think came in the same year Ukraine prosecuted him for financing the destabilisation of the country. He is a deeply deplorable individual whose scary prediction of destabilisation has rung true. He is yet to face sanctions by the United States. Igor Antipov is the current minister of information in the Donetsk People's Republic, he is yet to be sanctioned by ourselves, the EU or the US. The list of individuals we could (or should) sanction is endless. Russia's invasion of Ukraine did not start this year, it started years ago. Our government's sanctions aren't enough to do anything but they are a start, more individuals will be targeted in due course but by then it could all be too late and Ukraine could be carved up even further by the Putin regime.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"5 Banks and 3 Individuals, clearly they don’t give donations to the tories, pathetic.

The danger of pilling everything on at once is that if you do that the Russians pay no further penalty for moving on Kiev…

Nordstream 2 being halted by the Germans is a good start! I am surprised they didn’t go after RT yet…"

Nice to see someone on here who doesnt let their political bias get in the way of common sense. nice one.

Bristol

Nordstream 2 being halted by the Germans is a good start! I am surprised they didn’t go after RT yet…Nice to see someone on here who doesnt let their political bias get in the way of common sense. nice one."

They should block RT as well

Nordstream 2 being halted by the Germans is a good start! I am surprised they didn’t go after RT yet…"

Will putin be surprised? I think not.

the conservative and unionist party governments response is to target 5 miniscule banks and 3 individuals who have been sanctioned by other western powers since 2018. quite frankly pathetic

By *mateur100Man  over a year ago

nr faversham

Sky news just showing the debate on the sanctions... approximately 25 Mo's in attendance

Germany could buy liquidised gas from another beacon of democracy and human rights like Saudi Arabia ot Qatar

near ipswich

Nordstream 2 being halted by the Germans is a good start! I am surprised they didn’t go after RT yet…

Germany could buy liquidised gas from another beacon of democracy and human rights like Saudi Arabia ot Qatar "

I think they will have to it seems china has said it will buy more Russian gas.

here's the man himself increasing the level of bungs he receives from his mutual friends of putin by shoving the maslenitsa _estival down londoners throats whilst he was mayor of the city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGMhD22yQ1I

the two faced slime ball is this country's greatest danger to national and economic security.

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

Interesting that only three individuals who have already been sanctioned so far.

I agree not all at once but out of 50 at least in London just three seems a bit light. Also why no U.K. based banks sanctioned or restricted to trade?

I think China will fund Putin and provide banking so other than being a nuisance and travel restrictions I’m not sure how effective it will all be. I sincerely hope it is.

How have we and Russia allowed a self serving nutcase to take over such a powerful country?

"Also why no U.K. based banks sanctioned or restricted to trade?

"

probably because that would have the effect of weakening the UK economy. britains sanctions are very very limited mostly due to johnsons very personal involvement of welcomming as much russian investment to these shores as possible and the cash that it has delivered to his and his chums personal wealth. the more he tries to hurt the russian economy the more he empties magazine after magazine into his own foot metaphorically speaking.

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

Indeed it is. However, did anyone really expect the Tories to get their snouts out of that particular trough?

Rich Tories are friends with rich Russians - and have been since the collapse of the Soviet Union, possibly even longer.

It's worth noting that these are two groups of people who think that rules do not apply to them; who do not feel bound by what is moral, or just, in the way that most others do.

Boris was speaking, in Parliament, today, of making it clear to Russia that "might is right" must be "seen to fail".

Clearly, that would be a hard sell to the USA and Israel; which is why getting Russia and China to listen to that argument is unlikely, to say the least.

I suppose, the sanctions he announced today could be considered to be due to a lack of commitment ...

or, given his Party's relationship to Russian money, it's an example of the appeasement that members of his Cabinet were so happy to accuse others of.

Manchester

I genuinely hope we are wrong in doubting Boris commitment to real sanctions.

If he fails to bite the bullet he will confirm all our worst fears of Russian money talking through him and the Tory party.

near ipswich

Indeed it is. However, did anyone really expect the Tories to get their snouts out of that particular trough?

Rich Tories are friends with rich Russians - and have been since the collapse of the Soviet Union, possibly even longer.

It's worth noting that these are two groups of people who think that rules do not apply to them; who do not feel bound by what is moral, or just, in the way that most others do.

Boris was speaking, in Parliament, today, of making it clear to Russia that "might is right" must be "seen to fail".

Clearly, that would be a hard sell to the USA and Israel; which is why getting Russia and China to listen to that argument is unlikely, to say the least.

I suppose, the sanctions he announced today could be considered to be due to a lack of commitment ...

or, given his Party's relationship to Russian money, it's an example of the appeasement that members of his Cabinet were so happy to accuse others of."

you really are naïve these sanctions have been discussed between leaders of the uk, europe and the usa ages ago so as to appear as a united front how do you think biden could guarantee the other day that nord stream2 would not go ahead? but you keep believing somehow the Tories are in bed with Russia i find it highly amusing.

Manchester

or, given his Party's relationship to Russian money, it's an example of the appeasement that members of his Cabinet were so happy to accuse others of. you really are naïve these sanctions have been discussed between leaders of the uk, europe and the usa ages ago so as to appear as a united front how do you think biden could guarantee the other day that nord stream2 would not go ahead? but you keep believing somehow the Tories are in bed with Russia i find it highly amusing.

"

I think you are right about the co-ordinated approach . I don’t think the Tories are in bed with Russia but they are in my opinion compromised by Russian money.

By *uffolkJohnMan  over a year ago

Newmarket

So you think our economy should suffer for something that has nothing to do with us? We should stay out of it.

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

There is a good article on the BBC today about sanction options. They are very varied but some of the more harsh ones will actually damage the west as well as Russia so should be thought through carefully

Gloucestershire

Talking about China, when China is your own market, you have put yourself over a barrel, because China would want cheaper gas or oil, so Russia will not do itself any favours if it does that deal. Because China will be in command of the price

Interesting fact, the UK only imports only 5% of its gas from Russia, our problem is the fact we don’t have enough storage capacity to hold gas so we are forced to buy gas at current market rates.

Thank you tories for not having any foresight and closing our gas storage depots. Italy has more capacity than us.

Gloucestershire

It could be argued that putting down harder sanctions initially would have set the message, with progressively tougher sanctions being put on, not this little slap on the wrist. Now is the not the time. All it does is send the message that is we are a joke, Putin and his cronies are laughing at us and Blobis Johnson is the clown at the centre of this.

near ipswich

It could be argued that putting down harder sanctions initially would have set the message, with progressively tougher sanctions being put on, not this little slap on the wrist. Now is the not the time. All it does is send the message that is we are a joke, Putin and his cronies are laughing at us and Blobis Johnson is the clown at the centre of this."

Are you now saying boris is leading the world over the ukraine?

"There is a good article on the BBC today about sanction options. They are very varied but some of the more harsh ones will actually damage the west as well as Russia so should be thought through carefully"

this highlights the problem with conservative and unionist party ideology of choosing to remove money from the country's economy to offshore accounts and relying on massive amounts of unregulated foreign money to fill the vacuum in order to attempt to prop up the economy. it leaves us vulnerable to volatile markets and gives us no room to manouvre in awkward global situations. a more positive, modern, progressive and balanced approach to economics is needed rather than the failed 17th century model that johnson and his cronies are desperately clinging onto.

"Talking about China, when China is your own market, you have put yourself over a barrel, because China would want cheaper gas or oil, so Russia will not do itself any favours if it does that deal. Because China will be in command of the price

Interesting fact, the UK only imports only 5% of its gas from Russia, our problem is the fact we don’t have enough storage capacity to hold gas so we are forced to buy gas at current market rates.

Thank you tories for not having any foresight and closing our gas storage depots. Italy has more capacity than us."

uk buys only 5% of it's gas directly from russia, aprox 30% of our gas is bought from russia by proxy from third party countries such as holland, belgium, france. due to the nature of how we operate our energy market, any increase in energy prices globally will raise our prices. this is why even our renewable electricity prices increase by the same amount as gas prices increase rather than being insulated from global fluctuations. the norwegian energy market is far more stable as it chose to be more insulated from huge swings in markets.

"It could be argued that putting down harder sanctions initially would have set the message, with progressively tougher sanctions being put on, not this little slap on the wrist. Now is the not the time. All it does is send the message that is we are a joke, Putin and his cronies are laughing at us and Blobis Johnson is the clown at the centre of this."

this

all johnson has done is go slighty toward the sanctions imposed by other countries for the last 8 years.

The Germans haven't shut down Nordstream 1

milton keynes

"There is a good article on the BBC today about sanction options. They are very varied but some of the more harsh ones will actually damage the west as well as Russia so should be thought through carefully

this highlights the problem with conservative and unionist party ideology of choosing to remove money from the country's economy to offshore accounts and relying on massive amounts of unregulated foreign money to fill the vacuum in order to attempt to prop up the economy. it leaves us vulnerable to volatile markets and gives us no room to manouvre in awkward global situations. a more positive, modern, progressive and balanced approach to economics is needed rather than the failed 17th century model that johnson and his cronies are desperately clinging onto. "

On the contrary the article shows the harsher sanctions will have a negative on all of the west. All the EU and America will be affected just as bad if not worse than the UK

nr faversham

What exactly does everyone think will be the result of these sanctions? Crimea returned to Ukraine? The 2 breakaway regions returned to Ukraine? At best Putin will stop, the sanctions will stop, he'll wait a while then start again. More likely he'll just carry on. China won't get involved in a negative manner for him. The EU will, doubtless, split and become paralysed as individual members a bit close to the Russian borders begin to put their own interests first. Europe is too weak to do anything meaningful

[Removed by poster at 22/02/22 22:49:22]

Whilst the world faces a latterday Stalin, Johnson's bombastic hot air and empty rhetoric, signifying nothing and promising less, just underlines how fundamentally pusillanimous and weak little Britain's response is. No barrage of sanctions just a damp squib that will have us hearing Putin laugh all the way from the Kremlin to Kiev.

By *rFunBoyMan  over a year ago

Longridge

Will putin be surprised? I think not. "

He's already set the cash aside to cover it..

Tummy tickle..

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

My take on why so few were sanctioned, if the 37 (mostly oil and gas) Russian companies listed on the UK stock exchanges would have been sanctioned today, the knock on effect would have meant gas and petrol prices at unprecedented levels.

It would have meant share prices of most companies across the globe would have fell through the floor as goods rely on energy to produce them and people need stability or they don't buy products.

Right now we all know that energy prices are high - so if the UK would have sanctioned these companies, it would have meant 2 things

1. Manufacturers would not know how much it would cost to produce goods or ship them (meaning a crash)

2. Europe (having just put a halt to the gas pipe line), would be absolutely crippled as the spike in prices would have meant they would have been hit harder than Russia (meaning a crash).

The first step of hitting select financials and persons is likely a good warning shot.

Ayr

The Germans haven't shut down Nordstream 1 "

Yep. It's surprising how nobody wants to talk about that.

Maybe nobody thinks it's important that nothing has changed as far as the volume of Russian gas going into Germany is concerned.

Ayr

"There is a good article on the BBC today about sanction options. They are very varied but some of the more harsh ones will actually damage the west as well as Russia so should be thought through carefully"

A good point. I wonder, though; do you think we have a government capable of thinking things through at all - never mind carefully?

"There is a good article on the BBC today about sanction options. They are very varied but some of the more harsh ones will actually damage the west as well as Russia so should be thought through carefully

this highlights the problem with conservative and unionist party ideology of choosing to remove money from the country's economy to offshore accounts and relying on massive amounts of unregulated foreign money to fill the vacuum in order to attempt to prop up the economy. it leaves us vulnerable to volatile markets and gives us no room to manouvre in awkward global situations. a more positive, modern, progressive and balanced approach to economics is needed rather than the failed 17th century model that johnson and his cronies are desperately clinging onto.

On the contrary the article shows the harsher sanctions will have a negative on all of the west. All the EU and America will be affected just as bad if not worse than the UK"

yes, exactly as i posted, all the countries with a weak economic model. thanks for confirming this.

By *TMA that man againMan  over a year ago

worester

"what about donors to johnsons leadership bid. Alexander Temerko, has contributed more than £1 million to the Conservatives since he gained British citizenship in 2011 and also financed Johnson’s leadership campaign. According to Reuters, Temerko describes himself as a “friend” who would “plot” late into the night over a bottle of wine when Johnson became Foreign Secretary. He admitted to being behind early plots to remove Theresa May. the conservative and unionist party government have their loyalties split by their sucking up to russian wealth. sweet talking mutual friends of putin for cash out of one side of their mouth whilst lying to the country out of the other side. "

Think you will find that Temerko is persona non grata as far as Putin is concerned.

There are many other friends of Putin laundering money here and throughout Europe. They should all be targeted....but a drip drip approach may be better as said by others here....

[Removed by poster at 23/02/22 06:46:30]

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

"what about donors to johnsons leadership bid. Alexander Temerko, has contributed more than £1 million to the Conservatives since he gained British citizenship in 2011 and also financed Johnson’s leadership campaign. According to Reuters, Temerko describes himself as a “friend” who would “plot” late into the night over a bottle of wine when Johnson became Foreign Secretary. He admitted to being behind early plots to remove Theresa May. the conservative and unionist party government have their loyalties split by their sucking up to russian wealth. sweet talking mutual friends of putin for cash out of one side of their mouth whilst lying to the country out of the other side.

Think you will find that Temerko is persona non grata as far as Putin is concerned.

There are many other friends of Putin laundering money here and throughout Europe. They should all be targeted....but a drip drip approach may be better as said by others here....

if your going to miss the point by such a wide marging then it's pointless you posting to be fair. "

haha see your still trying to police the forums

By *ony 2016Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

A good point. I wonder, though; do you think we have a government capable of thinking things through at all - never mind carefully?"

. ,,, ,,, ,,, ,, ,, the government also have to carefully consider if any sanctions will impact on any future donations to the conservative party

By *lik and PaulCouple  over a year ago

Flagrante

The only thing we can be sure of is what we are seeing in the news is nothing compared to what is going on behind the scenes.

Bristol

A good point. I wonder, though; do you think we have a government capable of thinking things through at all - never mind carefully?. ,,, ,,, ,,, ,, ,, the government also have to carefully consider if any sanctions will impact on any future donations to the conservative party "

That’s just rubbish

Bristol

Shut down any and all Russian interests in the uk and and Europe immediately

Kick out any Russian diplomats immediately

While we cannot fight along side them arm them to the teeth so they can fight for themselves

By *uddy laneMan  over a year ago

dudley

"Shut down any and all Russian interests in the uk and and Europe immediately

While we cannot fight along side them arm them to the teeth so they can fight for themselves "

Plus hand back all the donations the tory party have recieved from Russian citizens.

Bristol

While we cannot fight along side them arm them to the teeth so they can fight for themselves

Plus hand back all the donations the tory party have recieved from Russian citizens. "

Nop keep the money and use it to arm the Ukrainians

By *rFunBoyMan  over a year ago

Longridge

Is it not strange that on the announcement of the freezing of Nordstream 2 (a pipe that is yet to carry a single m3 of gas), that wholesale gas prices jumped yesterday?

If they were shutting off a working pipeline and supplies had been affected, then that, I could understand!!

Profiteering?

dudley

Plus hand back all the donations the tory party have recieved from Russian citizens.

Nop keep the money and use it to arm the Ukrainians "

No hand it all back every last penny, you do realise they are still receiving donations all legit and above board acording to the rules they make for themselves.

By *x cplCouple  over a year ago

North of Oxford

Is it not strange that on the announcement of the freezing of Nordstream 2 (a pipe that is yet to carry a single m3 of gas), that wholesale gas prices jumped yesterday?

If they were shutting off a working pipeline and supplies had been affected, then that, I could understand!!

Profiteering?"

This is a pipeline that Germany was already arguing about before issuing permits as its 50% owned by Gazprom who also supply the gas. Which made it to closed/control interest for german regulations. It was completed last year and not transported a single cubic m of gas yet.

Bristol

Nop keep the money and use it to arm the Ukrainians

No hand it all back every last penny, you do realise they are still receiving donations all legit and above board acording to the rules they make for themselves. "

Yes of corse they are

By *ony 2016Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

A good point. I wonder, though; do you think we have a government capable of thinking things through at all - never mind carefully?. ,,, ,,, ,,, ,, ,, the government also have to carefully consider if any sanctions will impact on any future donations to the conservative party

That’s just rubbish "

. ,, ,, ,, anyone for tennis ????

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

May as well give your friends plenty of notice to shift assets around

The UK sanctions should be many thousands of times bigger than this, if any further transgressions.

milton keynes

On the contrary the article shows the harsher sanctions will have a negative on all of the west. All the EU and America will be affected just as bad if not worse than the UK

yes, exactly as i posted, all the countries with a weak economic model. thanks for confirming this. "

So you say all western countries have a weak economic model then? as the article says ALL western countries could be affected

Newcastle and Gateshead

Germany could buy liquidised gas from another beacon of democracy and human rights like Saudi Arabia ot Qatar "

Qatar LNG reserved are basically tied up in long term contracts so could increase some productivity but not to the point over covering all that would be lost in Russian sanctions….

"So you say all western countries have a weak economic model then? as the article says ALL western countries could be affected"

why are you being so obtuse when you know full well that is not what i said at all?

yumsville

[Removed by poster at 23/02/22 19:21:59]

yumsville

Biden's just sanctioned Nord Stream 2 AG and its corporate officers according to the beeb

Nord Stream 2 AG, based in Switzerland, is owned by Russian state gas producer and exporter Gazprom PJSC. The Russian government owns more than half of the company

milton keynes

"So you say all western countries have a weak economic model then? as the article says ALL western countries could be affected

why are you being so obtuse when you know full well that is not what i said at all?"

I'm not being obtuse I'm stating what the article said. ALL western countries could be affected

Gloucestershire

Good thing about having access to many markets, is that you can shift suppliers, people tend to think that the west has no alternative but to deal with Putin, when in actual fact we have options, he doesn't have many options, prices may go up in the short term, but once the shift to different suppliers, prices will go down.

EU is right we need to diversify our energy methods. Energy independence should be a goal of the UK also, but this hopeless government and Blobis Johnson at the helm is eroding this, he has ruined the promise of Brexit, step aside now.

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Biden's just sanctioned Nord Stream 2 AG and its corporate officers according to the beeb

Nord Stream 2 AG, based in Switzerland, is owned by Russian state gas producer and exporter Gazprom PJSC. The Russian government owns more than half of the company"

You go after gazprom, then you restrict Russian airlines flying over airspace, squeeze the markets so they can’t do business in dollars, pounds and euros including Russian banks, then you start freezing assets….. cut them off bit by bit…

nr faversham

"Biden's just sanctioned Nord Stream 2 AG and its corporate officers according to the beeb

Nord Stream 2 AG, based in Switzerland, is owned by Russian state gas producer and exporter Gazprom PJSC. The Russian government owns more than half of the company

You go after gazprom, then you restrict Russian airlines flying over airspace, squeeze the markets so they can’t do business in dollars, pounds and euros including Russian banks, then you start freezing assets….. cut them off bit by bit…"

I don't understand, why bit by bit? Stop him now

yumsville

You go after gazprom, then you restrict Russian airlines flying over airspace, squeeze the markets so they can’t do business in dollars, pounds and euros including Russian banks, then you start freezing assets….. cut them off bit by bit…

I don't understand, why bit by bit? Stop him now"

Once larger sanctions start getting tabled, they hit wider circles. Cancelling Nord Stream will no doubt push up manufacturing prices.

From what I've been reading one of the main drivers aside from oil and gas in Russian trade is corn and wheat. You can imagine the effect on prices of general use items across manufacturers if sanctioned.

Ayr

You go after gazprom, then you restrict Russian airlines flying over airspace, squeeze the markets so they can’t do business in dollars, pounds and euros including Russian banks, then you start freezing assets….. cut them off bit by bit…"

That appears to be what Boris has suggested in parliament, today.

He also said that Putin was a bloodstained aggressor - which is true. But he's been up to his elbows in Ukrainian blood for eight years.

So, why have the Tories waited that long to employ the sanctions they now intend to? Nobody who supports them has been able - or even willing to attempt - to explain this.

Was the invasion of Crimea not enough? Clearly not for our friends in their blue rosettes and their supporters.

Today's announcement is another example of how Boris is tardy to act if it harms anyone's financial interests - particularly those of friends to him and his Party.

Don't forget, he was similarly tardy in his response to the threat Covid 19 posed - and tens of thousands of UK citizens died, that didn't have to, because he dithered and put money ahead of human life.

Even now, when he's finally reacted, it's to do something that won't have any immediate effect on Putin's plans.

To be fair, Boris is right when he says that this must end in failure for Putin. Eventually, it will. Similar failures have been the rule - Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq, Afghanistan again, etc.

However, the West will not shy away from profiting from this conflict for as long as it lasts - and it really is going to last.

They did it when the Soviet Union invaded Afghanistan. They did it when they, themselves, invaded Iraq and Afghanistan.

They're not going to stop now.

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

all around

By which time Ukraine will be part of the USSR

dudley

the curtain cracked years ago.

nr faversham

Once larger sanctions start getting tabled, they hit wider circles. Cancelling Nord Stream will no doubt push up manufacturing prices.

From what I've been reading one of the main drivers aside from oil and gas in Russian trade is corn and wheat. You can imagine the effect on prices of general use items across manufacturers if sanctioned."

Tough! These are the prices that have to be paid for years of appeasement

By *ocketman99Man  over a year ago

fermanagh

Whether people support this invasion or not it’s is hypocritical of these western nations criticising Russia. Look at their unjustified invasion of Iraq. The administration and Downing Street knew the WMD storyline was bullshit. How many soldiers were killed and maimed? How many hundreds of thousands died in Iraq, and Afghanistan and for what-!!

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

"Whether people support this invasion or not it’s is hypocritical of these western nations criticising Russia. Look at their unjustified invasion of Iraq. The administration and Downing Street knew the WMD storyline was bullshit. How many soldiers were killed and maimed? How many hundreds of thousands died in Iraq, and Afghanistan and for what-!! "

So that BAE shareholders could get rich.

By *leasure domMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

We have a government of treasonous whores, bought and paid for by mafia money

By *leasure domMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

With apologies to all upstanding sex workers for the odious comparison to degenerate tory politicians

Gloucestershire

"Whether people support this invasion or not it’s is hypocritical of these western nations criticising Russia. Look at their unjustified invasion of Iraq. The administration and Downing Street knew the WMD storyline was bullshit. How many soldiers were killed and maimed? How many hundreds of thousands died in Iraq, and Afghanistan and for what-!! "

Again Democracy isn’t perfect, it’s a prolonged quest to getting better, it has always been a work in progress and will continue to be, but rather be in an actual democracy than a Autocratic regime, where rights and freedoms are suppressed, as least there is a chance for reform and progression by fair ballot, as opposed to a autocracy, where the same guy rigs elections to stay in power.

By *mmmMaybeCouple  over a year ago

West Wales

From what I've been reading one of the main drivers aside from oil and gas in Russian trade is corn and wheat. You can imagine the effect on prices of general use items across manufacturers if sanctioned.

Tough! These are the prices that have to be paid for years of appeasement"

The Nordstream 2 pipeline being part of the sanctions is bullshit of the highest order. It wasn't even operational and all Germany have done is halted it's signing off for use. No gas was in it, apart from the left overs of testing.

As a Polish journalist said on the world service "Sometimes you have to impose sanctions that hurt you almost as much as the sanctioned country just to get it done" when asked what we need to do he replied "just shutdown all his gas & oil pipelines heading west out of Russia, that'll hurt the most".

Just Google oil/gas pipelines from Russia, there's a few more than Nordstream 2 & afaik they are all still running & the Euros/$ for it are still flowing back sanctions or no sanctions.

S

By *otMe66Man  over a year ago

Terra Firma

By which time Ukraine will be part of the USSR"

The above approach is a longer game in my opinion, but one that could possibly work and topple Putin at the same time.

The under 35 year olds in Russia are not as keen on Putin as the older generations, and see the west as a better way of living. Kill their economy by stopping all trade with or in the Rouble, stopping it from being traded against other currencies, cuts off the whole economy. Stop any Russian flights travelling over westerns air space and Russia has effectively been annexed.

The younger generations may grow tired quickly of not having freedoms, not having access to western goods and tech, or being able to travel.

That mood if channeled correctly could bring down Putin for good and what a turn around of fortunes it would be if Alexei Navalny found his way out of prison as a repercussion of Putin's actions....

I could be wishfully thinking but fingers crossed it could happen.

Newcastle and Gateshead

Ambramovic hands over stewardship of Chelsea to the club’s charitable foundation trust….

I think he fears he is about to get sanctioned… this way Chelsea’s assets don’t get frozen

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

all around

"Ambramovic hands over stewardship of Chelsea to the club’s charitable foundation trust….

I think he fears he is about to get sanctioned… this way Chelsea’s assets don’t get frozen "

Or maybe he is just doing the right thing for the club

near ipswich

"Ambramovic hands over stewardship of Chelsea to the club’s charitable foundation trust….

I think he fears he is about to get sanctioned… this way Chelsea’s assets don’t get frozen "

Good to see Poland saying they will not play football even on a neutral ground against russia it all helps to get the message across to the russian people.Lets see what FIFA does as its awash with russian money.

Gloucestershire

Time us Brits put our consumer might into play here. we could stop purchasing from countries, individuals and companies who are sympathetic to Putin's cause. Worse pain is in their pocket.

Ayr

I think he fears he is about to get sanctioned… this way Chelsea’s assets don’t get frozen Good to see Poland saying they will not play football even on a neutral ground against russia it all helps to get the message across to the russian people.Lets see what FIFA does as its awash with russian money."

Good to see Boris following the EU's lead by taking personal sanctions against Putin, too.

Especially after you made it clear to us all how effective they'll be.

Keep up the good work.

Banning Russia from the Eurovision song contest could be the proverbial straw.

dudley

"Time us Brits put our consumer might into play here. we could stop purchasing from countries, individuals and companies who are sympathetic to Putin's cause. Worse pain is in their pocket. "

Yes I am going to email the ceo of Jcb and tell them to pull out of Russia quick else I won't by a digger.

Ayr

"Time us Brits put our consumer might into play here. we could stop purchasing from countries, individuals and companies who are sympathetic to Putin's cause. Worse pain is in their pocket. "

Good luck with that, given it's a global economy. As for consumer might, I'm not sure enough of us have enough financial might to really hurt anyone else's economy.

It's a nice notion but it's not practical; particularly if you're working two jobs just to pay your gas bill and you've got to get to the food bank.

Bristol

"Banning Russia from the Eurovision song contest could be the proverbial straw."

Everything that makes people in Russia asking why will make a difference they have been fed shite for so long by Russian state tv especially the older Russians they don’t know any different bye young Russians do

dudley

"Banning Russia from the Eurovision song contest could be the proverbial straw.

Everything that makes people in Russia asking why will make a difference they have been fed shite for so long by Russian state tv especially the older Russians they don’t know any different bye young Russians do "

The young Russians have only known sanctions .

Ayr

The above approach is a longer game in my opinion, but one that could possibly work and topple Putin at the same time.

The under 35 year olds in Russia are not as keen on Putin as the older generations, and see the west as a better way of living. Kill their economy by stopping all trade with or in the Rouble, stopping it from being traded against other currencies, cuts off the whole economy. Stop any Russian flights travelling over westerns air space and Russia has effectively been annexed.

The younger generations may grow tired quickly of not having freedoms, not having access to western goods and tech, or being able to travel.

That mood if channeled correctly could bring down Putin for good and what a turn around of fortunes it would be if Alexei Navalny found his way out of prison as a repercussion of Putin's actions....

I could be wishfully thinking but fingers crossed it could happen. "

Kill their economy? Like we're currently doing to Afghanistan? Starve their women and children until they start to think we're only doing it for their own good?

I think you'll find that's a much taller order where Russia is concerned - not least because it's got a functioning economy, resources the world (not just the West) relies on, and a lot of very wealthy westerners make money from Russia.

Still, why not, eh? How long do you think we could keep it up? Longer than they could bear it?

Gloucestershire

"Time us Brits put our consumer might into play here. we could stop purchasing from countries, individuals and companies who are sympathetic to Putin's cause. Worse pain is in their pocket.

Good luck with that, given it's a global economy. As for consumer might, I'm not sure enough of us have enough financial might to really hurt anyone else's economy.

It's a nice notion but it's not practical; particularly if you're working two jobs just to pay your gas bill and you've got to get to the food bank."

Luck has nothing to do with it, its a rational transaction, we buy, they profit, we don't buy, they don't profit, the larger the group, the the larger the impact, simple economics. If Covid taught anything, you cannot purchase you cannot profit.

milton keynes

Looks like Germany has finally got on board with the swift payment system sanction all be it certain banks only. Not sure what effect it will have but it all counts

nr faversham

"Looks like Germany has finally got on board with the swift payment system sanction all be it certain banks only. Not sure what effect it will have but it all counts"

Why not all in? Makes no sense unless they're just covering themselves and fuck Ukraine

dudley

"Looks like Germany has finally got on board with the swift payment system sanction all be it certain banks only. Not sure what effect it will have but it all counts"

Removing Russia from

Swift is a double edged sword.

nr faversham

"Looks like Germany has finally got on board with the swift payment system sanction all be it certain banks only. Not sure what effect it will have but it all counts

Removing Russia from

Swift is a double edged sword."

Because it causes the west some inconvenience

Gloucestershire

"Looks like Germany has finally got on board with the swift payment system sanction all be it certain banks only. Not sure what effect it will have but it all counts

Why not all in? Makes no sense unless they're just covering themselves and fuck Ukraine "

Different countries have different economic ties, the UK and its Financial Ties to Russian Oligarchs, Germany and its Fuel Dependency with Russia, Italy and its Luxury Goods, Turkey and its Access to the Black Sea, Span and Portugal with Russian Oligarchs.

Every country has been exposed, every country is worried about its economies, but it has taught them the harshest of lessons, our democracies have been subverted by kleptocrats and criminals, with dirty money flowing though our systems. Who said going Cold Turkey was a walk in the park, its going to be painful, but it will teach these nations, if something is too good to be true it probably is.

dudley

Removing Russia from

Because it causes the west some inconvenience "

The gas to Europe will not be pumped if they can not pay for it.

nr faversham

Removing Russia from

Because it causes the west some inconvenience

The gas to Europe will not be pumped if they can not pay for it. "

And who signed up for that committment

yumsville

Posting this as the quote will go otherwise. US official speaking on the swift sanctions:

They said that all 10 of Russia’s largest financial institutions had now been subjected to sanctions – “holding nearly 80% of the Russian banking sector’s total assets”.

As a result, the official said: “Russia’s government borrowing costs have more than doubled to almost 17%. The S&P credit rating agency has downgraded Russia to junk status. Within 24 hours of our actions the demand for cash in Russia spiked 58 fold, according to reports, and the Russian government scrambled to deplete its own resources to try and shore up its banks and its currency. In short, Russia has become a global economic and financial pariah.”

Russia has been reported to have $630bn in financial reserves stored abroad, in gold and cash, but the new sanctions would render that fund useless, the official said.

“You heard about fortress Russia, the war chest of $630bn of foreign reserves,” they said.

“It’s impressive, but it’s only impressive if Russia can use those reserves. And that means Russia has to be able to sell those reserves and buy rubles to support its currency. And so what we’re committing to do here is to disarm the central bank. And the way we can do that, for example, is by banning US, EU UK, persons from selling rubles to the Central Bank of Russia. That means very simply, the Russian Central Bank can’t support the ruble, full stop, and that means our sanctions will have much greater force.”

They could still route payments via China through SPFS or CIPS

By *otMe66Man  over a year ago

Terra Firma

I could be wishfully thinking but fingers crossed it could happen.

Kill their economy? Like we're currently doing to Afghanistan? Starve their women and children until they start to think we're only doing it for their own good?

I think you'll find that's a much taller order where Russia is concerned - not least because it's got a functioning economy, resources the world (not just the West) relies on, and a lot of very wealthy westerners make money from Russia.

Still, why not, eh? How long do you think we could keep it up? Longer than they could bear it?"

You make no sense! The recent announcement from the EU that Russia shall be removed from SWIFT echos my point, perfectly.

Newcastle and Gateshead

The EU just dropped the hammer a banner on any Russian flights over EU airspace … also RT gone as well

Bristol

"The EU just dropped the hammer a banner on any Russian flights over EU airspace … also RT gone as well"

Very little bit help

nr faversham

"The EU just dropped the hammer a banner on any Russian flights over EU airspace … also RT gone as well"

With respect, what do you think the EU would do if Russia flouts the ban on EU airspace? Shoot the plane down?

Gloucestershire

"The EU just dropped the hammer a banner on any Russian flights over EU airspace … also RT gone as well

With respect, what do you think the EU would do if Russia flouts the ban on EU airspace? Shoot the plane down?"

What if they just escorted them out of their airspace or to the nearest airport? Isn’t that more sensible?

nr faversham

"The EU just dropped the hammer a banner on any Russian flights over EU airspace … also RT gone as well

With respect, what do you think the EU would do if Russia flouts the ban on EU airspace? Shoot the plane down?

What if they just escorted them out of their airspace or to the nearest airport? Isn’t that more sensible?"

And what if they decided not to be escorted out?

Gloucestershire

What if they just escorted them out of their airspace or to the nearest airport? Isn’t that more sensible?

And what if they decided not to be escorted out?"

We will send you up and you can knock on the window and ask them to turn around politely

nr faversham

We will send you up and you can knock on the window and ask them to turn around politely "

Hilarious

Newcastle and Gateshead

And what if they decided not to be escorted out?"

You mean shoot them down like the Russians did with MH-17…. Even though they tried really hard not to admit they did

Anyway, If they aren’t “certified to fly” they are not allowed to take off under international law… they would be seized as soon as it landed at best… I am sure Aeot can afford to lose dozens of planes…

Newcastle and Gateshead

Aeot is Aero flot.. wow

nr faversham

You mean shoot them down like the Russians did with MH-17…. Even though they tried really hard not to admit they did

Anyway, If they aren’t “certified to fly” they are not allowed to take off under international law… they would be seized as soon as it landed at best… I am sure Aeot can afford to lose dozens of planes… "

Are you serious? Under international law you can't invade a sovereign nation but I don't see that stopping him.

Gloucestershire

aeot

nr faversham

"aeot "

Anything else?

Newcastle and Gateshead

Anyway, If they aren’t “certified to fly” they are not allowed to take off under international law… they would be seized as soon as it landed at best… I am sure Aeot can afford to lose dozens of planes…

Are you serious? Under international law you can't invade a sovereign nation but I don't see that stopping him. "

All Russian airlines planes would be seized…. So unless they have an unlimited amount of planes to lose you would not even try… besides as soon as it reached eu airspace it would be turned around….

nr faversham

Are you serious? Under international law you can't invade a sovereign nation but I don't see that stopping him.

All Russian airlines planes would be seized…. So unless they have an unlimited amount of planes to lose you would not even try… besides as soon as it reached eu airspace it would be turned around….

"

You are an intelligent guy yet you type this nonsense? A Russia at war doesn't care about international law

yumsville

Nord Stream 2 files for bankruptcy.

EU removed 7 Russian banks from Swift including one tied to Putin leaving the biggest state lender Sberbank.

Truss announces sanctions against Belarusian's and organisations.

Biden to possibly announce more in his state of Union address.

yumsville

^ Nord Stream 2 owners are swiss (I think)

nr faversham

FIA allows russian and Belarusian drives to complete as neutral. Pathetic.

The IOC will do the same but I'll be happily proven wrong

Newcastle and Gateshead

"FIA allows russian and Belarusian drives to complete as neutral. Pathetic.

The IOC will do the same but I'll be happily proven wrong "

FIA are basically passing the buck to Haas to make the Decision, mazepins F1 seat is basically for with russian money from a Russian company and an Russian head sponsor… if any of the money is frozen along the way he will be gone!

Interesting to see what the IPC do with the Paralympics, that decision should come tomorrow as to whether Russians and Belarusian athletes can compete…

nr faversham

FIA are basically passing the buck to Haas to make the Decision, mazepins F1 seat is basically for with russian money from a Russian company and an Russian head sponsor… if any of the money is frozen along the way he will be gone!

Interesting to see what the IPC do with the Paralympics, that decision should come tomorrow as to whether Russians and Belarusian athletes can compete… "

Taking bets?

Newcastle and Gateshead

Interesting to see what the IPC do with the Paralympics, that decision should come tomorrow as to whether Russians and Belarusian athletes can compete…

Taking bets?"

On what the IPC will do….. I think they will actually ban athletes from those countries… they don’t tend to be as wishy washy as their IOC counterpart

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

You gotta love how our kompromat Govt have given 28/30 days notice to all those Russian Banks snd Oligarchs (just enough time to sort out their affairs and not lose any money).

Good job as Abramovitch needs to sell Chelsea!

Absolute bloody joke!

yumsville

"You gotta love how our kompromat Govt have given 28/30 days notice to all those Russian Banks snd Oligarchs (just enough time to sort out their affairs and not lose any money).

Good job as Abramovitch needs to sell Chelsea!

Absolute bloody joke!"

Agreed, the delay did seem to give a heads up to move money with the potential of coming sanctions.

There's talk of a crack down on those kleptocrats in the UK and elsewhere who aid this type of transaction, they are no doubt very good at it though. The world seems to be behind this shift, though there's only a few places left that haven't come out with some sort of announcements - China, Central/South America - maybe art?

I wonder how many super yacht makers would be ethical enough to take their money .. I doubt they'll be hiding their money in the motherland.

nr faversham

Taking bets?

On what the IPC will do….. I think they will actually ban athletes from those countries… they don’t tend to be as wishy washy as their IOC counterpart "

Sadly, they are every bit as wishy washy it seems. Not surprised but FFS

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Taking bets?

On what the IPC will do….. I think they will actually ban athletes from those countries… they don’t tend to be as wishy washy as their IOC counterpart "

Well, that aged well!

near ipswich

The IOC will do the same but I'll be happily proven wrong "

Good to see that russian and belarus drivers wont be allowed to drive in the British gp.

yumsville

Just a thought about all this. If Putin knew his training exercises were going to lead to an invasion, any money his close allies had would have been moved months ago as they'd know at some point sanctions would be received.

Brighton

Starmer asks Johnson: “Why are we giving Putin’s cronies 18 months to quietly launder their money out of the UK property market?”

Johnski replies that “we [UK] are leading the way!”

FFS

nr faversham

Taking bets?

On what the IPC will do….. I think they will actually ban athletes from those countries… they don’t tend to be as wishy washy as their IOC counterpart

Sadly, they are every bit as wishy washy it seems. Not surprised but FFS "

And no-one comments??????

By *orset.JMan  over a year ago

Weymouth

Taking bets?

And no-one comments??????"

They have finally agreed to present the economic crime bill, it’s been shelved for a while but now it can be no longer ignored.

It could absolutely tear the Conservatives apart and they know this is way more dangerous than the party scandals.

Just look up Matthew Elliot,former member of Vote Leave , founder of Conservative friends of Russia. Carrie Johnson was a member also.

nr faversham

Taking bets?

They have finally agreed to present the economic crime bill, it’s been shelved for a while but now it can be no longer ignored.

It could absolutely tear the Conservatives apart and they know this is way more dangerous than the party scandals.

Just look up Matthew Elliot,former member of Vote Leave , founder of Conservative friends of Russia. Carrie Johnson was a member also.

"

I'm talking about the IOC and IPC

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Just a thought about all this. If Putin knew his training exercises were going to lead to an invasion, any money his close allies had would have been moved months ago as they'd know at some point sanctions would be received. "

That’s why over the last few years the Russians central bank have been accumulating a $630 Billion slush fund to soften the effectiveness of sanctions they knew would be coming if they did invade… the sanctions so far have cut off a lot of that access

Also when it was clear that sanctions were coming, notice that a lot of assets were moved so they could not be got at…

Manchester

Looks like all the enablers and so far non sanctioned Russians are too close to Westminster and it would read as the address book of the Parliament elite if they were included.

nr faversham

Taking bets?

I'm talking about the IOC and IPC"

There are approximately 50 nations taking part in the Paralympics. They should all withdraw immediately. There is no excuse not to. I exclude China in this for the obvious chummy with Russia reason

Brighton

"Looks like all the enablers and so far non sanctioned Russians are too close to Westminster and it would read as the address book of the Parliament elite if they were included. "

new figures from the Electoral Commission released today show the Conservatives accepted another £80,000 from Lubov Chernukhin in the last quarter

dudley

"Looks like all the enablers and so far non sanctioned Russians are too close to Westminster and it would read as the address book of the Parliament elite if they were included.

new figures from the Electoral Commission released today show the Conservatives accepted another £80,000 from Lubov Chernukhin in the last quarter"

It is all within the rules and money talks.

yumsville

Taking bets?

And no-one comments??????"

Seems in an update Russian and Belarus athletes wont be able to compete: IPC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/disability-sport/60599739

Brighton

"Looks like all the enablers and so far non sanctioned Russians are too close to Westminster and it would read as the address book of the Parliament elite if they were included.

new figures from the Electoral Commission released today show the Conservatives accepted another £80,000 from Lubov Chernukhin in the last quarter

It is all within the rules and money talks."

The rules need to be changed!

Johnski has given Russia's second biggest bank, VTB Bank, a 30-day reprieve from UK sanctions.

But would you look at that - A top official at the bank, Barin Yucemen, has given the Conservative Party more than £44,000 since 2018.

Newcastle and Gateshead

Taking bets?

Well, that aged well! "

Should I take a victory lap now… don’t worry just kidding!

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Russian F1 deal terminated.

German authorities sieze Usmanov super yacht, worth £600 million, in Hamburg.

From little acorns......

keeping on topic to the thread title, F1 and the super yacht are not much to do with boris johnski's meagre attempt at sanctions to be fair. this is all down to action undertaken by the EU. when johnski and the uk chumocracy start to seize assets instead of expelling hot air about forthcomming sanctions, then maybe the tory trumpet blowers will have a reason to celebrate, but not until then.

Bristol

"keeping on topic to the thread title, F1 and the super yacht are not much to do with boris johnski's meagre attempt at sanctions to be fair. this is all down to action undertaken by the EU. when johnski and the uk chumocracy start to seize assets instead of expelling hot air about forthcomming sanctions, then maybe the tory trumpet blowers will have a reason to celebrate, but not until then. "

You seem to be under the impression that just because Britain is out of the EU that the governments are not still working together and sharing information.

Or is it just that you are so against the Tory’s for every and any reason ?

"Or is it just that you are so against the Tory’s for every and any reason ?"

it blatently has more to do with your blind ideological defense of an inept, slow, bloated and corrupt conservative and unionist government when people point out their gross and sickening failings on thses forums.

Bristol

"Or is it just that you are so against the Tory’s for every and any reason ?

it blatently has more to do with your blind ideological defense of an inept, slow, bloated and corrupt conservative and unionist government when people point out their gross and sickening failings on thses forums. "

Ah but a raw nerve

it blatently has more to do with your blind ideological defense of an inept, slow, bloated and corrupt conservative and unionist government when people point out their gross and sickening failings on thses forums.

Ah but a raw nerve "

i'll leave you to your personal attacks and trolling

Bristol

Ah but a raw nerve

i'll leave you to your personal attacks and trolling "

11 minutes ago ....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60604206

golden fields

"11 minutes ago ....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60604206"

Could use these to house some refugees.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/03/eu-urges-uk-to-act-faster-before-russian-assets-are-spirited-away

even the conservative and unionist supporting rag-tops are asking ....

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17826041/putin-uk-russian-oligarchs/

Gloucestershire

Boris is Meatloafing.

EU unanimously agrees to grant temporary residence to refugees .... boris johnski's offer remains you can apply for a veg picking visa

Gloucestershire

"EU unanimously agrees to grant temporary residence to refugees .... boris johnski's offer remains you can apply for a veg picking visa "

Its seriously dodgy, because we have workforce issues, why don't we exploit the desperation of people fleeing war others to fix our problems. If that isn't an example of modern exploitation, I don't know what is.

nr faversham

Taking bets?

Well, that aged well!

Should I take a victory lap now… don’t worry just kidding! "

If you feel the need but while you're down there ask yourself why it took so long and whether it will withstand a legal challenge

Glad to see that dock workers in Kent are doing the government's work for them!

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/mar/03/tanker-russian-gas-diverted-kent-dockers-refuse-cargo-loophole-ships?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

trade unions stepping up to the plate while business and industry are scrambling to remove all their assets before the conservative and unionist party government's woefully weak and inadequate sanctions deadline kicks in sometime in early April. why is boris johnski and his chumocrats in No10 so very far behind the rest of the world, particularly the EU with meaningfull action? the answer has been proven to be decades of institutional party corruption.

Brighton

Ben Elliot, the Duchess of Cornwall's nephew (our future Queen Consort), an old-Etonian who is part of the Zac Goldsmith/Carrie Johnson gang, is/was one of the chief conduits for Russian cash & lobbying activities.

Ben Elliott remains co-chairman of the Conservative Party.

However, his Pro Russian Conservative party lobby group is being disbanded.

The “Westminster Russian forum”, previously “Conservative friends of Russia” which lobbied for pro Russia funding for cash for Conservative MPs & party operations is being wound up.

Just saying!

boris johnski has anounced that they are “bolstering” its package of sanctions against the Kremlin with “new powers in our arsenal to go further and faster” ....

johnski has said the changes will “ramp up the pressure on those criminal elites trying to launder money on UK soil”, ensuring they have “nowhere to hide”....

this is in effect shortening the length of time foreign owners of UK property will be given to declare their true identity under a new register of overseas entities, from 18 months to six months.

six months!!!! how does introducing measures next september help the people being bombed tonight?

this government conservative and unionist party government is utterly sickening to the nth degree

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

The UK sanctions are pathetic, and it's not hard to understand why.

I hope conservative voters are proud of their party being sold to oligarchs.

number of entities sanctioned since the russian invasion ...

European Union 490

Canada 413

Australia 407

Switzerland 371

America 118

Japan 40

UK 16

UAE 12

Co-chairman of the Conservative and Unionist Party Elliot has been chair of the party while it has taken donations from Lubov Chernukhin, the wife of Vladimir Putin’s former finance minister, and Aquind, a company co-owned by the billionaire Viktor Fedotov. Elliot is also the co-owner of the consierge service company Quintessentially.

this is what the company's 'about' page from it's website boasted until they removed it earlier ....

“Quintessentially Russia has nearly 15 years’ experience providing luxury lifestyle management services to Russia’s elite and corporate members. Our office employs over 50 lifestyle managers, each of whom has completed a specialised training programme. They work around the clock 365 days per year to provide personal concierge services to each member. From restaurant bookings to backstage concert access, a bespoke luxury lifestyle is at our clients’ fingertips.”

the rot of corruption in Boris Johnski's chumocratic party is from top to bottom. how can they be trusted to represent this country's interests whilst working for hostile nations who work to undermine and destabilise nation?

Newcastle and Gateshead

"number of entities sanctioned since the russian invasion ...

European Union 490

Canada 413

Australia 407

Switzerland 371

America 118

Japan 40

UK 16

UAE 12

"

Since our laws haven’t diversified that much from when we were in the EU, you can’t tell me why legally they would not be firm grounds to sanction anyone and everyone the European Union has…

Just matching the EU list would be a good start…

golden fields

European Union 490

Canada 413

Australia 407

Switzerland 371

America 118

Japan 40

UK 16

UAE 12

Since our laws haven’t diversified that much from when we were in the EU, you can’t tell me why legally they would not be firm grounds to sanction anyone and everyone the European Union has…

Just matching the EU list would be a good start… "

So this is a brexit benefit for the Tories?

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

"

So this is a brexit benefit for the Tories?"

Jacob Rees-Mogg will know. He is Minister for B.O.

golden fields

"

So this is a brexit benefit for the Tories?

Jacob Rees-Mogg will know. He is Minister for B.O."

He's certainly benefitted. So job done.

yumsville

European Union 490

Canada 413

Australia 407

Switzerland 371

America 118

Japan 40

UK 16

UAE 12

So this is a brexit benefit for the Tories?"

It was supposedly Lord Pannick (if you are looking for someone), who thought it right to update sanction law a few years ago to include the reasons why. It's not good enough just to sanction - they have to arguably know why.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60616266

Bristol

European Union 490

Canada 413

Australia 407

Switzerland 371

America 118

Japan 40

UK 16

UAE 12

Just matching the EU list would be a good start… "

But how can the UK match the EU in numbers when there are 27 to 1 ?

By definition there will be more accesible entities in the EU ?

I persoanlly would have done what was sugested by someone else and gone through belgravia, knightsbridge,St George’s Hill, near Weybridge for example.

A whole bunch of them in a garded estate worth billions.

European Union 490

Canada 413

Australia 407

Switzerland 371

America 118

Japan 40

UK 16

UAE 12

I persoanlly would have done what was sugested by someone else and gone through belgravia, knightsbridge,St George’s Hill, near Weybridge for example.

"

Point taken but look at Switzerland which is smaller than the UK!

If Russian influence is to blame for what has happened and what is happening in Britain at the moment then I hope that it comes out and those who profited from it are held for treason.

this country's fin serv sector dwarfs the entirety of the EU. to say they are inaccessable is ideological nonsense. it's high time the failed conservative and unionist party governments lickspittles woke and accept reality as it is instead of rushing to defend the indefensible that is boris johnski's chumocratic draining of the countries resources and economy.

By *ighty_tightyMan  over a year ago

Norfolk/Suffolk

European Union 490

Canada 413

Australia 407

Switzerland 371

America 118

Japan 40

UK 16

UAE 12

Point taken but look at Switzerland which is smaller than the UK!

If Russian influence is to blame for what has happened and what is happening in Britain at the moment then I hope that it comes out and those who profited from it are held for treason."

You can't compare us and Switzerland. With the Swiss generally being neutral there will be lots of people hiding things there, these sanctions will hurt more than most we could do.

the uk controls the most offshore tax havens, tax havens where a huge amount of russian wealth is kept. it's idiotic to say that the uk is less able to hurt russia financially as it is blatently rubbish. what's lacking is the political will to act by boris johnski and his chumocratic londongrad elite

Brighton

"the uk controls the most offshore tax havens, tax havens where a huge amount of russian wealth is kept. it's idiotic to say that the uk is less able to hurt russia financially as it is blatently rubbish. what's lacking is the political will to act by boris johnski and his chumocratic londongrad elite "

Indeed. Russian’s use shell companies in the UK that are “owned” by other holding companies registered off shore (very often BVI, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Jersey, Bahamas, Bermuda, Cayman Islands etc) to but property in the UK. Last count an estimated £400 million in Belgravia alone.

yumsville

"the uk controls the most offshore tax havens, tax havens where a huge amount of russian wealth is kept. it's idiotic to say that the uk is less able to hurt russia financially as it is blatently rubbish. what's lacking is the political will to act by boris johnski and his chumocratic londongrad elite

Indeed. Russian’s use shell companies in the UK that are “owned” by other holding companies registered off shore (very often BVI, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Jersey, Bahamas, Bermuda, Cayman Islands etc) to but property in the UK. Last count an estimated £400 million in Belgravia alone."

Last I heard tax laws were changed for full disclosure of UK territories. Not disputing shell companies exist.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/13/british-overseas-territories-in-talks-to-keep-tax-haven-secrecy

There's a further hyperlinked article in the above if you follow the highlighted red "UK government’s decision to end secrecy for offshore tax havens".

yep, 3 years later in still hasn't happened in any meaningful way. this opaque financial ideology of the johnski cumocracy is what is preventing us from applying any kind effective sanctions in any kind of effective time frame. it's utterly sickening the way they are blowing their trumpet about having done things that behind the scenes they are actually refusing to do in reality.

yumsville

"yep, 3 years later in still hasn't happened in any meaningful way. this opaque financial ideology of the johnski cumocracy is what is preventing us from applying any kind effective sanctions in any kind of effective time frame. it's utterly sickening the way they are blowing their trumpet about having done things that behind the scenes they are actually refusing to do in reality."

3 years later and this is the first you've heard of it but will still troll the same record out. Meaningful-wayskite.

Brighton

"the uk controls the most offshore tax havens, tax havens where a huge amount of russian wealth is kept. it's idiotic to say that the uk is less able to hurt russia financially as it is blatently rubbish. what's lacking is the political will to act by boris johnski and his chumocratic londongrad elite

Indeed. Russian’s use shell companies in the UK that are “owned” by other holding companies registered off shore (very often BVI, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Jersey, Bahamas, Bermuda, Cayman Islands etc) to but property in the UK. Last count an estimated £400 million in Belgravia alone.

Last I heard tax laws were changed for full disclosure of UK territories. Not disputing shell companies exist.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/13/british-overseas-territories-in-talks-to-keep-tax-haven-secrecy

There's a further hyperlinked article in the above if you follow the highlighted red "UK government’s decision to end secrecy for offshore tax havens"."

You are being gaslit, nothing has yet changed. Saying you will do something and actually doing it are totally different things.

yumsville

There's a further hyperlinked article in the above if you follow the highlighted red "UK government’s decision to end secrecy for offshore tax havens".

You are being gaslit, nothing has yet changed. Saying you will do something and actually doing it are totally different things."

Nah .. that is just the last update I remember. There's no doubt there's been little movement (such is the way Gov cogs turn), and no doubt shell companies exist, though this is not to say it hasn't or isn't already being looked at, it theoretically should now move fairly quickly.

this was discussed under the may government..... johnski scrapped it. yet some believe a 3 year old scrapped idea is a reality. there is no hope of change when the far right cling to this kind of dogmatic nonsense.

yumsville

"this was discussed under the may government..... johnski scrapped it. yet some believe a 3 year old scrapped idea is a reality. there is no hope of change when the far right cling to this kind of dogmatic nonsense. "

Far right ?

yumsville

You appreciate the world is at near world war over twisted ideologies and you're throwing out Nazism's over whether tax laws were brought in or not.

Unbelievable.