FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Ireland and Neutrality

Ireland and Neutrality

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *og-Man OP   Man  over a year ago

somewhere

Reading a green TD on Twitter explaining that while Ireland is giving money to Ukraine via The EU ...our funds wont be used to supply weapons as we're neutral...so the funds will pay for medical supplies or equipment that Ukraine needs

What do you think

I feel its time to get off the fence and say...Putin deserves what he gets...spend the money on whatever you feel is most needed.

PS....we don't seem to have a problem with U.S army planes in Shannon for some reason

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I don't agree in giving money with stipulations! It's up to them to spend it how they see fit

And yes Putin deserves everything thrown at him

By *cottybear74Man  over a year ago

kilkenny

The US probably give the Irish government a large envelope for the use of Shannon airstrip

"The US probably give the Irish government a large envelope for the use of Shannon airstrip "

Would it really matter how those funds are spent at this stage, everything Putin has said he wouldnt do he has done, the bigger picture here is what's coming, and were backing an angry dog into a corner with Putin, I hope peace prevails but I don't think he wants peace.

By *al2001Man  over a year ago

kildare

Ukraine should spend the money as they wish but our neutrality is important in this world.

Can't be considered neutral if you take a side. We can provide humanitarian aid and remain neutral, but we aren't really neutral if we are imposing sanctions anyway.

Ireland are more run with the hare and bark with the hound. We protest the wrong doings of Russia but never protest or go against the wrong doings of the US or UK. Haven't seen many posts opposing the weapons given to the Saudi's to blow the shit out of Yemen or the fact that the US are conducting air strikes in Somalia. They all act in self interest, we just go along because we know what side our bread is buttered on

By *ofusplusCouple  over a year ago

Limerick

"Can't be considered neutral if you take a side. We can provide humanitarian aid and remain neutral, but we aren't really neutral if we are imposing sanctions anyway.

Ireland are more run with the hare and bark with the hound. We protest the wrong doings of Russia but never protest or go against the wrong doings of the US or UK. Haven't seen many posts opposing the weapons given to the Saudi's to blow the shit out of Yemen or the fact that the US are conducting air strikes in Somalia. They all act in self interest, we just go along because we know what side our bread is buttered on "

Agree with this

"Can't be considered neutral if you take a side. We can provide humanitarian aid and remain neutral, but we aren't really neutral if we are imposing sanctions anyway.

Ireland are more run with the hare and bark with the hound. We protest the wrong doings of Russia but never protest or go against the wrong doings of the US or UK. Haven't seen many posts opposing the weapons given to the Saudi's to blow the shit out of Yemen or the fact that the US are conducting air strikes in Somalia. They all act in self interest, we just go along because we know what side our bread is buttered on

Agree with this "

We are professional fence-sitters.

By *anddswingCouple  over a year ago

South Dublin & Kilkenny 'ish

[Removed by poster at 28/02/22 11:59:16]

Ireland are more run with the hare and bark with the hound. We protest the wrong doings of Russia but never protest or go against the wrong doings of the US or UK. Haven't seen many posts opposing the weapons given to the Saudi's to blow the shit out of Yemen or the fact that the US are conducting air strikes in Somalia. They all act in self interest, we just go along because we know what side our bread is buttered on "

Hear Hear! - We believe whatever narrative we are fed. The U.S have started and participated in dozens of Wars since WWII - they are like Duff beer in the simpsons - the cause and solution to all problems. the E.U. is no better of late, we agreed with Russia that Ukraine would stay independent and not join the E.U or Nato and we reneged on this promise.

War is not good, and I personally feel for the Ukraine, it would be better if we all stood by our convictions. I would hope that peace will prevail, but saying this is the Russians alone is a lie where all sides are complicit.

Have we learned nothing the last two years, do not believe everything you hear or read, and be very scared when we will only hear one side because the other is silenced! I'd prefer to hear what the other side are saying instead of only hearing one viewpoint. Do we not find this a little odd?

By *ilthyNightsCouple  over a year ago

East / North, Cork

[Removed by poster at 28/02/22 12:02:26]

East / North, Cork

"Ukraine should spend the money as they wish but our neutrality is important in this world."

Id disagree. Our neutrality is mostly ignored/unknown by the rest of the world...if it even exists at all.

kildare

" we agreed with Russia that Ukraine would stay independent and not join the E.U or Nato and we reneged on this promise.

"

What promise?

International agreements don't run on promises or pinky swears,signed treaties or they are not worth the paper they are written on.

Bear in mind Russia has been at war with Ukraine for years now and Ukraine has been acting in its own safety interests cosying up to eu

If Ukraine wants to join eu has f all to do with russia

Hear Hear! - We believe whatever narrative we are fed. The U.S have started and participated in dozens of Wars since WWII - they are like Duff beer in the simpsons - the cause and solution to all problems. the E.U. is no better of late, we agreed with Russia that Ukraine would stay independent and not join the E.U or Nato and we reneged on this promise.

War is not good, and I personally feel for the Ukraine, it would be better if we all stood by our convictions. I would hope that peace will prevail, but saying this is the Russians alone is a lie where all sides are complicit.

Have we learned nothing the last two years, do not believe everything you hear or read, and be very scared when we will only hear one side because the other is silenced! I'd prefer to hear what the other side are saying instead of only hearing one viewpoint. Do we not find this a little odd? "

War is not good, but then again who is war good for? Instability causes the price of oil per barrel to rise - the highest its been since 2014 at the moment. Who are the people that benefit most? For all the money Russia are spending on this war and all the cost of weapons supplied by the US they will both likely stand to make a profit. Hence there hasn't been much said by the Arab nations either.

If you want to hear the other side you can stick on RT news, but it's comically pretty much the complete opposite of the news we receive as it's state sponsered and the truth is lost somewhere in the middle with the innocent Ukrainian people

East / North, Cork

I started reading russia today and it's not as different as I was expecting.

By *appyPandaMan  over a year ago

Kilkenny, but Dublin is more fun

I know this is very serious and worrisome as first new potential huge war in Europe in decades but there's bigger issues to deal with. We can't get distracted from the fact that we possibly may see this whole global civilisation of ours collapse in the coming decades as extreme weather becomes more and more prevalent. What we're seeing now may be just the beginning of that collapse with populations becoming more and more divided.

The IPCC report getting released this year is really catering towards adapting to future events with more drought and harsher floods hitting many areas, which will drive populations from third and developing countries into the first world that's way of life so focused on consuming at a massive scale and is just unsustainable.

Merely switching to green energy and electric cars isn't going to stop it. That's just more feeding this system so dependent on our current global system.

Things are honestly not looking good at the moment, and that Paris agreement that governments said they'd try to stick to is likely a failure, with most climate scientists being very skeptical of being able to keep to below that important 2° warming mark that was still going to bring a serious change to the way our atmosphere and weather patterns work

Until we can see ourselves as just another species on this planet that's past and current actions are affecting it and the ecosystem we depend on in a negative way, and who've only been here in our present form a measly few thousand years, we can't really focus on it properly.

Instead, we've built up this artificial world around us dependent on constant growth for those at the very top, and even the normal people, even in us rich first world countries just so trapped by financial insecurity to be able to see past it, thinking this is the real world, where we're just given enough to feed this imagined economy so dependent on consumption and consumerism.

Sorry for the depressing rant. I'm fed up with how little the governments and media seem to care about this topic, thinking it's only something minor and convincing the ordinary public that everything is fine and they should just carry on as normal and just do their jobs without worrying

Was doing a few bits at home at the weekend and was bouncing between sky, CNN, fox, BBC and Russia today on the news channels. They seemed to be contradicting each other on quite a few bits and it's all "according to president Putin". But RT is very good for reading articles about what's happening in the world that our media don't report on.

"I started reading russia today and it's not as different as I was expecting."

I think they know they can't outright say bullshit in their official news reports in English, but take a read of the comments in the articles. That's where they seem to really sow the disinformation.

And not to say I think our press is too trustworthy either.

We're all reading things that don't cover the whole story and even if they're not intentionally biased, they're distorted by the writers preconceived notions and worldview.

I'm a huge fan of Chomsky's "Manufacturing Consent", the intelligent take on "fake news" before Trump and the alt-right stole it to just describe anything negative about them.

" we agreed with Russia that Ukraine would stay independent and not join the E.U or Nato and we reneged on this promise.

What promise?

International agreements don't run on promises or pinky swears,signed treaties or they are not worth the paper they are written on.

Bear in mind Russia has been at war with Ukraine for years now and Ukraine has been acting in its own safety interests cosying up to eu

"

Minsk 1 & 2 - there were agreements made that Ukraine would not antagonise Russia. You are Correct Russia has been at war for years with them. The Minsk agreement is very complicated and similar to Minsk 1, so the interpretation is difficult.

The Ukraine joining the E.U would not be something Russia would do nothing about, this would clearly be an act of War as it's an area of conflict. NA there are regions in Ukraine that believe they are Russian. Maybe the British could take Co Louth?

I don't condone any wars, the Russians are not an honest bunch but more dishonest are the U.S and now the E.U for their own gain.

East / North, Cork

How is a country joining the EU clearly an act of war!?

"How is a country joining the EU clearly an act of war!?

"

You'd need to look over the many many various agreements between the Ukraine & Russia. But in summary, a country in conflict/currently with another then joining forces with others would be seen as aggression, in turn an act of war with Russia.

There are a number of sectors in the Ukraine and some of those wish to be their own states and some are closely aligned with Russia. So again this is not as close cut as the west are letting us believe.

The Ukraine is a very wealthy natural resource rich country, and the Russians would equally not like to hinder their interaction with that country, if it were part of NATO or the E.U. this would be the case.

For further research look at the number of wars the U.S has either started or participated in and that can go for the British too.

Just to be categoric I'd not condone any war, and I would hope peace can be achieved.

"I know this is very serious and worrisome as first new potential huge war in Europe in decades but there's bigger issues to deal with. We can't get distracted from the fact that we possibly may see this whole global civilisation of ours collapse in the coming decades as extreme weather becomes more and more prevalent. What we're seeing now may be just the beginning of that collapse with populations becoming more and more divided.

The IPCC report getting released this year is really catering towards adapting to future events with more drought and harsher floods hitting many areas, which will drive populations from third and developing countries into the first world that's way of life so focused on consuming at a massive scale and is just unsustainable.

Merely switching to green energy and electric cars isn't going to stop it. That's just more feeding this system so dependent on our current global system.

Things are honestly not looking good at the moment, and that Paris agreement that governments said they'd try to stick to is likely a failure, with most climate scientists being very skeptical of being able to keep to below that important 2° warming mark that was still going to bring a serious change to the way our atmosphere and weather patterns work

Until we can see ourselves as just another species on this planet that's past and current actions are affecting it and the ecosystem we depend on in a negative way, and who've only been here in our present form a measly few thousand years, we can't really focus on it properly.

Instead, we've built up this artificial world around us dependent on constant growth for those at the very top, and even the normal people, even in us rich first world countries just so trapped by financial insecurity to be able to see past it, thinking this is the real world, where we're just given enough to feed this imagined economy so dependent on consumption and consumerism.

Sorry for the depressing rant. I'm fed up with how little the governments and media seem to care about this topic, thinking it's only something minor and convincing the ordinary public that everything is fine and they should just carry on as normal and just do their jobs without worrying "

Simple answer for your global warming claims.

Close down China and India and the U.S. If you're unable to do this then we are at nothing. We can virtue signal till the cows come home, we might even find a few more Gretta's but it's useless unless we get the factories of the world to not pollute.

this has nothing to do with the conflict in the Ukraine also, but the global warming, eat man made meat brigade can go an take a big jump.

Many think climate action is very important - it's called a wicked problem, one that cannot be solved with current technology, it could also be nature, it could be pollution it could be many things. One thing for sure Ireland will contribute nothing to climate, and funny enough we went from 3 Degrees by 2050 to 1.5 degrees globally hotter next year by doing nothing it will be lower again, If you ask me it gives politicians some additional rubbish to spout and do nothing about because in Ireland any efforts we make are futile. Nothing except cost people and families Thousands in extra euros per year with ZERO benefits to the environment. This is the Truth.

By *aid backMan  over a year ago

by a lake with my rod out

If the Ukraine was not going to join NATO after this it fecking will along with a load of other countries. Russia has basically shown them that it can invade them at anytime so they would be safer in NATO.

By *ubal1Man  over a year ago

Newry Down

Ireland, the entire island is inconsequential on the world stage by several measures: geographically, poltically, strategically, etc.

Whether Ireland is neutral or not is an irrelevance.

The Chinese armed forces, taken as a whole, have more personnel than the entire population of this island. Many Chinese cities are bigger than Ireland.

This debacle between Russia and Ukraine can be traced back well over 100 years; the Russian/Soviet political structure has been autocratic for a long time, stretching back to the Tsar's and beyond. It is a vicious system where the rights of the individual are disregarded

The Ukraine debacle is a test of democratic resolve and how the world democracies will react when the annexation of the Baltic states takes place.

Mercifully, by living in Ireland, I live on a piece of land that no-one has any interest in acquiring, and governed by a system that is impotent to interfere in any world conflict.

I rest comfortably in my bed each night that this situation obtains here.

Ukraine is located at a strategic location, is resource-rich, lies next to an acquisitive nation that is invariably governed by megalomaniacs who care nothing for the rights of the individual and is a proxy for a declining world superpower the United States of America.

The big forthcoming war is between the US and China.

Neither are interested in Ireland, thankfully.

By *indenMan  over a year ago

naas which is South West of Dublin

Took the words right out of my mouth…..

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

I don't think Ireland's neutrality matters much, besides the neutrality is not worth much if you let US troupes going through your country.

East / North, Cork

What promise?

Minsk 1 & 2 - there were agreements made that Ukraine would not antagonise Russia. You are Correct Russia has been at war for years with them. The Minsk agreement is very complicated and similar to Minsk 1, so the interpretation is difficult.

The Ukraine joining the E.U would not be something Russia would do nothing about, this would clearly be an act of War as it's an area of conflict. NA there are regions in Ukraine that believe they are Russian. Maybe the British could take Co Louth?

I don't condone any wars, the Russians are not an honest bunch but more dishonest are the U.S and now the E.U for their own gain.

"

I just read the full text of Minsk 1 and 2 protocols... and it doesn't say anything about not joining with Europe or NATO.

What part specifically do you think says this. Can you quote it pls.

East / North, Cork

And regardless Putin has already says that the Minsk protocol is dead before he invaded... so if its OK for him to abandon it, then its also OK for Ukraine

By *ontbesillywrapyourwillyMan  over a year ago

Tipperary

id love to know what Ukraine did for Putin to react like this.

By *weet threesome wifeCouple  over a year ago

Kilrea

this

By *-4pleasureCouple  over a year ago

Belfast

What promise?

"

“ The Ukraine joining the E.U would not be something Russia would do nothing about, this would clearly be an act of War as it's an area of conflict”

I’m sorry, I know we have to be civil….. ok you know what ? I’m not even going to comment on this statement. To be honest I don’t think I need to.

"I know this is very serious and worrisome as first new potential huge war in Europe in decades but there's bigger issues to deal with. We can't get distracted from the fact that we possibly may see this whole global civilisation of ours collapse in the coming decades as extreme weather becomes more and more prevalent. What we're seeing now may be just the beginning of that collapse with populations becoming more and more divided.

Sorry for the depressing rant. I'm fed up with how little the governments and media seem to care about this topic, thinking it's only something minor and convincing the ordinary public that everything is fine and they should just carry on as normal and just do their jobs without worrying

Close down China and India and the U.S. If you're unable to do this then we are at nothing. We can virtue signal till the cows come home, we might even find a few more Gretta's but it's useless unless we get the factories of the world to not pollute.

this has nothing to do with the conflict in the Ukraine also, but the global warming, eat man made meat brigade can go an take a big jump.

Many think climate action is very important - it's called a wicked problem, one that cannot be solved with current technology, it could also be nature, it could be pollution it could be many things. One thing for sure Ireland will contribute nothing to climate, and funny enough we went from 3 Degrees by 2050 to 1.5 degrees globally hotter next year by doing nothing it will be lower again, If you ask me it gives politicians some additional rubbish to spout and do nothing about because in Ireland any efforts we make are futile. Nothing except cost people and families Thousands in extra euros per year with ZERO benefits to the environment. This is the Truth."

I don't say we as Irish people. I say we as a species on this ancient planet who've grown and advanced like crazy in only a couple thousand years on this much more ancient planet during a period where we had a semi stable climate predictable enough for agriculture, and got to this point while so many primitive tribalistic instincts are still fresh in the mind, making us always want to pick sides and be part of smaller groups.

We are naive apes whos curiosity and ability to work in groups has helped us advance further than any other species, but we really have lost track of reality, so deluded by this fake artificial world around us we've shaped to our own design and yet struggle to cope in it, adapted and evolved to live in a far different world.

Where are you getting your numbers by the way? We'll most likely hit 1.5° average warming within the next few years probably at the next El Nino Event, but it'll be an outlier year more warning of what is to come. 2030s will see consistent years of it becoming the new norm, and yes, we're likely rocketing past the 2° soon after.

Things are only going to start happening more rapidly as the oceans have warmed to the point that they're not capable of absorbing as much CO2 as they used to.

"If the Ukraine was not going to join NATO after this it fecking will along with a load of other countries. Russia has basically shown them that it can invade them at anytime so they would be safer in NATO."

And agreed. This was supposed to be a show of force and a threat to push them back into thinking they had to obey Russia and stop being so friendly with the west but it's done the opposite, just like the annexing of Crimea.

Yes, Crimea was predominantly a prorussian area of Ukraine, and I can accept the basis for taking it over, but it just hurt them more. This was 5% of Ukraine's population that consistently voted in prorussian candidates. Taking them over not only pushed the rest of Ukraine further away from Russia, but also removed a very useful voting block

Many think climate action is very important - it's called a wicked problem, one that cannot be solved with current technology, it could also be nature, it could be pollution it could be many things. One thing for sure Ireland will contribute nothing to climate, and funny enough we went from 3 Degrees by 2050 to 1.5 degrees globally hotter next year by doing nothing it will be lower again, If you ask me it gives politicians some additional rubbish to spout and do nothing about because in Ireland any efforts we make are futile. Nothing except cost people and families Thousands in extra euros per year with ZERO benefits to the environment. This is the Truth.

I don't say we as Irish people. I say we as a species on this ancient planet who've grown and advanced like crazy in only a couple thousand years on this much more ancient planet during a period where we had a semi stable climate predictable enough for agriculture, and got to this point while so many primitive tribalistic instincts are still fresh in the mind, making us always want to pick sides and be part of smaller groups.

We are naive apes whos curiosity and ability to work in groups has helped us advance further than any other species, but we really have lost track of reality, so deluded by this fake artificial world around us we've shaped to our own design and yet struggle to cope in it, adapted and evolved to live in a far different world.

Where are you getting your numbers by the way? We'll most likely hit 1.5° average warming within the next few years probably at the next El Nino Event, but it'll be an outlier year more warning of what is to come. 2030s will see consistent years of it becoming the new norm, and yes, we're likely rocketing past the 2° soon after.

Things are only going to start happening more rapidly as the oceans have warmed to the point that they're not capable of absorbing as much CO2 as they used to."

So you ignore all the valid points. Here it is and stop spouting rubbish, unless you get China, India, the U.S. and I'd add Germany to stop polluting you're at nothing. And no we shouldn't be the candle in the dark always there to shine a light on the correct path. We should live as we are a clean nation with a small population hurting no one. Your idyllic one world one species rhetoric is pure horse crap - if as individuals we all did just one small positive thing this would be better than all the Gretta's in the world firing shoes!

There has been a constant climate crisis since the 60s and were still waiting for their claims to happen. Come back to me in a few years when your prophecy comes to pass, until then less of the rubbish and we'll keep been the clean small nation we are. Although a Nuclear reactor wouldn't go astray in Ireland. Maybe fight for that extremely clean energy source, no? Anyway, your save the world mantra is futile and if I were you, maybe focus on something where your energy might actually effect some change, many would like to see some action as opposed to talk. Oh ya, while you're at it, recycle all that stuff from India and china that you have around the house

By *emper-fudgeMan  over a year ago

Blackrock

Things are only going to start happening more rapidly as the oceans have warmed to the point that they're not capable of absorbing as much CO2 as they used to.

So you ignore all the valid points. Here it is and stop spouting rubbish, unless you get China, India, the U.S. and I'd add Germany to stop polluting you're at nothing. And no we shouldn't be the candle in the dark always there to shine a light on the correct path. We should live as we are a clean nation with a small population hurting no one. Your idyllic one world one species rhetoric is pure horse crap - if as individuals we all did just one small positive thing this would be better than all the Gretta's in the world firing shoes!

There has been a constant climate crisis since the 60s and were still waiting for their claims to happen. Come back to me in a few years when your prophecy comes to pass, until then less of the rubbish and we'll keep been the clean small nation we are. Although a Nuclear reactor wouldn't go astray in Ireland. Maybe fight for that extremely clean energy source, no? Anyway, your save the world mantra is futile and if I were you, maybe focus on something where your energy might actually effect some change, many would like to see some action as opposed to talk. Oh ya, while you're at it, recycle all that stuff from India and china that you have around the house "

nailed it

Agree with this

We are professional fence-sitters."

Had to read that twice

Ireland are not a neutral country as we are part of the EU, Ukraine is not Europe's problem as it is not part of the eu, if putin was to go for Latvia, Lithuania, Romania or Poland then yes it becomes our problem as they are EU members, expect conscription for all EU men, yes irish men could well be sent to fight the EUs war in East europe

By *ancy38Woman  over a year ago

galway

Stay fully nuteral! Once you start giving money to one side, it is the first step at stripping away at our neutrality and this, could well be a slippery slope we won't be able go get back up.

Becareful for what you wish for. 30 years from you could be attending a funeral of a much loved one who was murdered away fighting in a war that has nothing do with us.

There's war happening all over the world similar to what is happening in the Ukraine but no one says a thing. Turn the TV off, stop following it on the Internet and it all goes away for you.

galway

"

expect conscription for all EU men, yes irish men could well be sent to fight the EUs war in East europe

"

I would never allow my sons to go and kill people. They to said they would rather go to jail than and lift a gun to fight so rich men can get richer.

By *eirdre40Couple  over a year ago

Dublin South

People really need to spend some time researching what has happened in Ukraine since the protests in 2013 that overturned the government, look at the horrors that occurred in the Donbass region and you might understand why it has come to this.

If Putin is to blame he shares that blame with many others in Ukraine and the West.

It's not all that it seems or is reported by the media.

East / North, Cork

"

expect conscription for all EU men, yes irish men could well be sent to fight the EUs war in East europe

I would never allow my sons to go and kill people. They to said they would rather go to jail than and lift a gun to fight so rich men can get richer.

"

How about to stop a billionaire from killing loads of poor people?

By *indenMan  over a year ago

naas which is South West of Dublin

"Ireland are not a neutral country as we are part of the EU, Ukraine is not Europe's problem as it is not part of the eu, if putin was to go for Latvia, Lithuania, Romania or Poland then yes it becomes our problem as they are EU members, expect conscription for all EU men, yes irish men could well be sent to fight the EUs war in East europe "

I think you’re getting confused between Europe, the EU, and neutrality.

Ireland is not the only country in the EU to retail their neutrality in one form or another.

And just because a country is militarily neutral, it doesn’t mean they can’t be at the very least a conscientious objector to whatever they see as morally incorrect, and act accordingly.

By your reasoning, it really isn’t anyones business in Europe that many innocent people will died because of this conflict as it’s far enough away so as not to make you uncomfortable, and should only be a concern as it perhaps gets a little closer to home…..

Very little comfort to the people of Ukraine at the moment…..

And when they’ve been “dispatched” you’re talking about conscription in Ireland?

Sure let’s just all ignore it till someone shows up here eh……

East / North, Cork

"Ireland are not a neutral country as we are part of the EU, Ukraine is not Europe's problem as it is not part of the eu, if putin was to go for Latvia, Lithuania, Romania or Poland then yes it becomes our problem as they are EU members, expect conscription for all EU men, yes irish men could well be sent to fight the EUs war in East europe

Ireland is not the only country in the EU to retail their neutrality in one form or another.

And just because a country is militarily neutral, it doesn’t mean they can’t be at the very least a conscientious objector to whatever they see as morally incorrect, and act accordingly.

By your reasoning, it really isn’t anyones business in Europe that many innocent people will died because of this conflict as it’s far enough away so as not to make you uncomfortable, and should only be a concern as it perhaps gets a little closer to home…..

And when they’ve been “dispatched” you’re talking about conscription in Ireland?

"

You're right about Ireland not being alone in neutrality... in WW2 there were many states that tried to be neutral, although nearly all picked a side when they were invited and were occupied. Its easy to claim neutrality when noone is invading you.

By *-4pleasureCouple  over a year ago

Belfast

"People really need to spend some time researching what has happened in Ukraine since the protests in 2013 that overturned the government, look at the horrors that occurred in the Donbass region and you might understand why it has come to this.

If Putin is to blame he shares that blame with many others in Ukraine and the West.

It's not all that it seems or is reported by the media."

Whenever I see a keyboard analyst utter “research” I shudder slightly…… research in this context normally means “surfed internet”…..

on the hill NordWest of

"Ireland are not a neutral country as we are part of the EU, Ukraine is not Europe's problem as it is not part of the eu, if putin was to go for Latvia, Lithuania, Romania or Poland then yes it becomes our problem as they are EU members, expect conscription for all EU men, yes irish men could well be sent to fight the EUs war in East europe

You're right about Ireland not being alone in neutrality... in WW2 there were many states that tried to be neutral, although nearly all picked a side when they were invited and were occupied. Its easy to claim neutrality when noone is invading you."

Looking at more recent events the elephant in the room when it comes to Irish neutrality is Shannon airport and its usage by US forces. If you compare that to Switzerland who didn't even allow the US/UK to cross their air space during the invasion/war of/in Iraq.

Anyhow but I agree that neutrality doesn't mean you can't take a stand in regards of your values and beliefs such as human rights and the principles of democracy.

By *ublinguy99Man  over a year ago

Dublin South

I dont believe its possible to be fully neutral

East / North, Cork

"I dont believe its possible to be fully neutral"

I think the game is being neutral enough that nobody thinks you're a threat... and Ireland is zero threat to anybody, so it's neutrality is largely moot

All the covid experts are now foreign affairs experts...

East / North, Cork

"All the covid experts are now foreign affairs experts... "

And all those who are conspiracy nuts about covid are also conspiracy nuts over geopolitics. Zero surprise.

on the hill NordWest of

"All the covid experts are now foreign affairs experts... "

You don't need to be an expert to discuss politics, just look at our 'expert' politicians in power.

"Reading a green TD on Twitter explaining that while Ireland is giving money to Ukraine via The EU ...our funds wont be used to supply weapons as we're neutral...so the funds will pay for medical supplies or equipment that Ukraine needs

What do you think

I feel its time to get off the fence and say...Putin deserves what he gets...spend the money on whatever you feel is most needed.

PS....we don't seem to have a problem with U.S army planes in Shannon for some reason "

Under neutrality agreements a country claiming neutrality must have the capability to defend itself against attack Ireland has no jet fighter aircraft or missile defence systems land or sea based we depend on the UK for air cover but claiming neutrality lets the likes of the US refuel aircraft in Shannon

Dublin South

I dont think Ireland is the master of its own destiny here as it cant protect itself. If a major power considered its in its interests to ignore Irish neutrality, Ireland's neutrality will be ignored.

Dublin South

There are a number of references here to the use of Shannon by the US but not so many referencing the use of the Russian embassy for other than diplomatic reasons and which is widely reported on in the media. At least lets be fair.

"There are a number of references here to the use of Shannon by the US but not so many referencing the use of the Russian embassy for other than diplomatic reasons and which is widely reported on in the media. At least lets be fair. "

Obviously the FSB have an office in the embassy for intelligence gathering and yet the ambassador and his staff are not being expelled

somewhere

"There are a number of references here to the use of Shannon by the US but not so many referencing the use of the Russian embassy for other than diplomatic reasons and which is widely reported on in the media. At least lets be fair. "

To be honest I assume The US, UK,Chinese,Russian all have their own intelligence services based in their embassies

However The US military are the only one's landing at shannon

I don't have a problem with that but the Irish Solution of pretending that there's no weapons on each plane is a joke

"There are a number of references here to the use of Shannon by the US but not so many referencing the use of the Russian embassy for other than diplomatic reasons and which is widely reported on in the media. At least lets be

To be honest I assume The US, UK,Chinese,Russian all have their own intelligence services based in their embassies

However The US military are the only one's landing at shannon

I don't have a problem with that but the Irish Solution of pretending that there's no weapons on each plane is a joke "

It's all about the money

It's no secret that that most embassies of the world have some form of intelligence gathering operations in them. Thats been happening since before the cold War.

kildare

Russia uses ireland and its Irish embassy as a base for its illegal activities in Europe,including murder.

This is known.

These agents are all well armed,including chemical weapons,think A-234 which was used in uk

kildare

"There are a number of references here to the use of Shannon by the US but not so many referencing the use of the Russian embassy for other than diplomatic reasons and which is widely reported on in the media. At least lets be fair.

It's no secret that that most embassies of the world have some form of intelligence gathering operations in them. Thats been happening since before the cold War. "

Do other countries murder and poison their opponents in other european countries too like the Russians?

Dublin South

Present company excluded Im sure but people who complain about the use of Shannon by the US sometimes can often display a particularly anti American bias. The unpalatable fact for those people is that their freedoms are underpinned by a strong America. There are plenty of dead Americans in the North of France to demonstrate that.

on the hill NordWest of

"There are a number of references here to the use of Shannon by the US but not so many referencing the use of the Russian embassy for other than diplomatic reasons and which is widely reported on in the media. At least lets be fair.

It's no secret that that most embassies of the world have some form of intelligence gathering operations in them. Thats been happening since before the cold War.

Do other countries murder and poison their opponents in other european countries too like the Russians?"

Yeah the Saudis do, they even kill them in their embassy.

Can easily imagine the Mossad not being afraid of some dispatching.

We just don't hear of it.

Obviously the FSB have an office in the embassy for intelligence gathering and yet the ambassador and his staff are not being expelled "

Without evidence of intelligence gathering operations that could harm the state you can't expel them for that.

on the hill NordWest of

"Present company excluded Im sure but people who complain about the use of Shannon by the US sometimes can often display a particularly anti American bias. The unpalatable fact for those people is that their freedoms are underpinned by a strong America. There are plenty of dead Americans in the North of France to demonstrate that. "

Not complaining about it, just pointing out it's in contradiction with Ireland's neutrality and it could make it a target in a war situation.

"Present company excluded Im sure but people who complain about the use of Shannon by the US sometimes can often display a particularly anti American bias. The unpalatable fact for those people is that their freedoms are underpinned by a strong America. There are plenty of dead Americans in the North of France to demonstrate that.

Not complaining about it, just pointing out it's in contradiction with Ireland's neutrality and it could make it a target in a war situation. "

I agree, it is in contradiction of neutrality. I also agree we could have had a very different Europe or world had it not been for American intervention in world war 2. But to condone their actions in wars since world war 2 and allow them to interfere with our neutrality based on their previous contributions isn't necessarily the right thing to do either.

East / North, Cork

Do other countries murder and poison their opponents in other european countries too like the Russians?

Yeah the Saudis do, they even kill them in their embassy.

Can easily imagine the Mossad not being afraid of some dispatching.

We just don't hear of it. "

Abso-fucking-lutely. Others are up to some disgusting behaviour too.

Look at Guantanamo Bay where the US bypass their own laws by holding suspects without trial even today. Offshsoring government dirty work to somewhere they can operate without restrictions.

By *DGF20Man  over a year ago

Dublin

Ireland was always neutral country but unfortunately became eu and us puppy...but no matter if is neutral or not war must not be supported

Dublin South

Ah now! The EU has done nothing but good for Ireland and has dragged us out of a 19th century church dominated inward looking agrarian society into a decent and tolerant state, thats not to say we cant do better.

By *inion42Man  over a year ago

minionland

We aren’t neutral, we are aligned, sadly I think in this day and age, we are better in the tent pissing out, than trying to piss in.

During our “emergency ie WW2, how many raf crews who crash landed somehow found their northwards, and the Germans were “accommodated” in the curragh ??????????

By *adforsexMan  over a year ago

Santry

"Reading a green TD on Twitter explaining that while Ireland is giving money to Ukraine via The EU ...our funds wont be used to supply weapons as we're neutral...so the funds will pay for medical supplies or equipment that Ukraine needs

What do you think

PS....we don't seem to have a problem with U.S army planes in Shannon for some reason "

I remember that then article in one papers saying we could be target of isis because of it we be fucked if there was terror attack garda are useless as it is lol

By *tranTV/TS  over a year ago

City

The constitution has been actively ignored for years.

Neutrality in Ireland was always thin, but its non existent now.

Neutrality means if we give money in aid to ukraine we give it to russia too. Its that simple, no ifs, ands or buts. If we dont want to give to Russia, then dont give to ukraine.

If we let the USA stop off on planes on the way to bomb the taliban, then we let the talbian stop off on planes on the way to bomb the USA.

Dont want the taliban to use Ireland as a port to attack the USA? simple, dont let america use it as a port to attack taliban. I have talked to marines who said they visited Ireland on the way to iraq, I asked if they had their guns and they said they did.

Neutrality is the higher morale stance to have. No one in Ireland can claim to have anything close to a clear picture of what is happening over there and why. We know the UK started a war under false pretence on Iraq "weapons of mass destruction", so we cant trust UK/US media, Russian media is banned.

We should just say "sorry for any loss of life, but we are neutral. If you want us to take a stance then there are steps you can go through for that to happen. Do it before you're attacked not after the fact".

For anyone who thinks Ireland should get off the fence just remember, that would mean we would have fully supported the UK/USA in their wrongful attack on Iraq/Afghanistan and would have made a generation of enemies in that part of the world who would not take "sorry but the bbc told us you were bad guys" as a reason for us to support their attack.

Irish people enjoy the freedom to visit countries like Iran, Afghanistan, Nepal, Taiwan etc etc and get welcomed by the people, the "PEOPLE" who have nothing to do with the govts positions really, and admire us and are friendly to us and respect us for not judging them.

To throw that all in the bin for some knee jerk reaction would be awful.

If YOU feel like Ireland can do more, then YOU do more, like ww2, Ireland allowed over 100,000 to go fight in ww2. Our govt should remain neutral and YOU, the person who thinks we should do more, YOU should do more, get on a plane and go over and help. The Irish govt will allow you to. Dont throw a generation of Irish people over there, go do it yourself. You're allowed.

By *tranTV/TS  over a year ago

City

"Can easily imagine the Mossad not being afraid of some dispatching.

We just don't hear of it. "

There is a video of Mossad walking into a hospital and killing someone in their hospital bed. Mossd also travelled under Irish passports to carry out assassinations.

CIA actually publish hit lists all the time, they even issued their hit list suits from decks of cards, the Jack of Clubs. Then had the media broadcast video footage of them killing them, mostly unarmed. Technically the killing of Osama Bin Laden was a war crime and murder as he was unarmed.

The biggest problem we have today is that the USA/UK watered down the word "Defense", to mean they can attack any country they deem a threat in any way to them. Afghanistan did not attack the USA either did Iraq. Russia sat back and watched them go on the attack and when questioned say "We are not attacking them, we are defending ourselves".

That is the exact, and I mean EXACT argument that russia is using now. None of us have to agree with Russia being under threat, just like none of us had to agree that Iraq was a threat to the US. All russia needs to do is say they believe Ukraine is a threat and then all the treaties people mention above, agreements are void. Russia has written in them all "unless Russia needs to defend itself", like the minsk agreement etc.. well guess what, russia does not need our approval to see something as a threat, and they did not creat that "normal", the US/UK/Israel did.

France? France launched a supersonic jet attack on Syria when a terrorist set off a bomb in their country. That would be like typhons bombing Dublin after the IRA blew up a pub.

This is the level of "defense" in 2022. Someone sneezes at your country and you launch missiles at them.

Imagine if USA/UK said "911 was awful, our military stands ready, but our main goal is to work with law enforcment around the world and arrest all those responsbile. WE DO NOT ATTACK COUNTRIES WITH OUT MILITARY UNLESS THEIR MILITARY ATTACKS US"

Russias whole argument for attacking ukraine would evaporate.

France was one of the few european countries back then that tried to stop USA/UK, remember in the USA they were calling french fries "Freedom fries" instead in protest of France telling them they were acting poorly? But then France finally caved and started acting like them..

Lastly, if you think the normal Russian people are not as afraid of the war as the Ukraine people are, then you need a reality check, they are just as afraid, and want to flee from it just as bad. But we tell them "no sorry, not for you".. Even bbc admits russians want to flee the war but no where to go.

Now imagine Ireland was truly neutral and said "we are dropping visa requirements for Ukraine fleeing the war, and Russians fleeing the war. There are Irish pubs in Moscow and Kiev, come to Dublin and sit in the Irish pubs together as friends"... now that would be something to be proud of, not getting up on the stage with the UK and wagging a finger at Russia.

kildare

"We aren’t neutral, we are aligned, sadly I think in this day and age, we are better in the tent pissing out, than trying to piss in.

During our “emergency ie WW2, how many raf crews who crash landed somehow found their northwards, and the Germans were “accommodated” in the curragh ??????????"

My grandmother remembers seeing Germans who were "captured" here walking around freely and being treated like hero's.

Think they were literally being "accommodated" like you say,as in curragh was an open prison for them,free all day and just came back to camp for lock up

somewhere

There's a graveyard up the Dublin mountains that I visit every now and then to sit and enjoy the peace and quiet....Its full of German military that died here after getting captured during the war on Irish soil

Funny enough all the british that landed here by mistake made their way up to Northern Ireland and back home as far as I know

By *ichael McCarthyMan  over a year ago

Lucan

"There's a graveyard up the Dublin mountains that I visit every now and then to sit and enjoy the peace and quiet....Its full of German military that died here after getting captured during the war on Irish soil

Funny enough all the british that landed here by mistake made their way up to Northern Ireland and back home as far as I know"

It's possibly also the worst place in Ireland for those bastard midges as well. I'm scratching myself now thinking about it.

somewhere

"There's a graveyard up the Dublin mountains that I visit every now and then to sit and enjoy the peace and quiet....Its full of German military that died here after getting captured during the war on Irish soil

Funny enough all the british that landed here by mistake made their way up to Northern Ireland and back home as far as I know

It's possibly also the worst place in Ireland for those bastard midges as well. I'm scratching myself now thinking about it. "

I normally go early in the morning before they wake up

By *ichael McCarthyMan  over a year ago

Lucan

It's possibly also the worst place in Ireland for those bastard midges as well. I'm scratching myself now thinking about it.

I normally go early in the morning before they wake up "

I've often dropped in when passing but I've probably never been there in the morning. Cool place.

East / North, Cork

[Removed by poster at 02/03/22 11:20:27]

East / North, Cork

Leo was on the radio this morning and he responded to a question about irelands neutrality. He said that Ireland has always been politically neutral, and has taken sides in the past politically and vocally. He said we are militarily neutral because we don't commit combat troops to war zones.

East / North, Cork

I'll try a 3rd time lol

What I meant to say was...

Leo was on the radio this morning and he responded to a question about irelands neutrality. He said that Ireland has never been politically neutral, and has vocally taken sides in the past. He said we are militarily neutral because we don't commit combat troops to war zones.

Funny enough all the british that landed here by mistake made their way up to Northern Ireland and back home as far as I know"

Lovely spot... Sad when you see some of the ages. Life cut short for somebody else's gain.

I see RT news has been banned from mainstream social media platforms and from being broadcast in the EU with no actual evidence of misinformation.

East / North, Cork

RT isn't banned. You can watch it right here

https://www.rt.com/on-air/rt-player/

A few private platforms decided to dissallow links on their sites. Not the same as being banned.

"RT isn't banned. You can watch it right here

https://www.rt.com/on-air/rt-player/

A few private platforms decided to dissallow links on their sites. Not the same as being banned."

"RT and Sputnik broadcasts have been axed by some EU nations, with the European Commission readying a bloc-wide ban on the outlets over concerns about spreading misinformation relating to the military conflict in Ukraine." That's from RT. Also apple and Google have announced blocks on downloads on their app stores and from news streams. It might not be completely banned as of yet, but they are 95% there.

East / North, Cork

I've been reading and watching RT quite a lot recently, and I haven't been hindered in the slightest. Hardly a 95% ban.

I sincerely hope the EU don't try and ban a news outlet. Citizens need to have access to information, nomatter now biased, so they can make up their own minds. Banning a TV channel is something I'd expect Russia to do, not the EU.

"I've been reading and watching RT quite a lot recently, and I haven't been hindered in the slightest. Hardly a 95% ban.

I sincerely hope the EU don't try and ban a news outlet. Citizens need to have access to information, nomatter now biased, so they can make up their own minds. Banning a TV channel is something I'd expect Russia to do, not the EU.

"

The article is on the RT app. If you control the media you control the narrative. It's the same with history, we are taught what they want us to be taught. Go to Vietnam and visit the museums and you will see a totally different side and history to the Vietnam War.

"I've been reading and watching RT quite a lot recently, and I haven't been hindered in the slightest. Hardly a 95% ban.

"

RT website is banned but the TV channel is still available on astra 28.5.

It doesn't matter the whole world is under threat now even if he doesn't or dose occupy urkraine, I he will set up rockets along the border and have them pointing straight at Europe he wants to destroy us, Russian shops started an agreeesive chase with an American destroyer today trying to provoke it into a fight. it not about ukraine its about them wanting to become a new world order, 100000 belurus chectians are marching on urkine right now, it won't stop there, Putin is all ready saying the West shouldn't have nukes and that's his next mad excuse to go after NATO next. I suggest people you spend as much time with you family's before the big disaster strikes. I'm scared not ashamed to say it some of the images I have seen are images of hell. I hope I'm wrong but I don't have much hope now after seeing the images all over TV.

East / North, Cork

RT website is banned but the TV channel is still available on astra 28.5."

I'm reading the website now. The TV channel is still available via the official site too. Its not banned

East / North, Cork

"It doesn't matter the whole world is under threat now even if he doesn't or dose occupy urkraine, I he will set up rockets along the border and have them pointing straight at Europe he wants to destroy us, Russian shops started an agreeesive chase with an American destroyer today trying to provoke it into a fight. it not about ukraine its about them wanting to become a new world order, 100000 belurus chectians are marching on urkine right now, it won't stop there, Putin is all ready saying the West shouldn't have nukes and that's his next mad excuse to go after NATO next. I suggest people you spend as much time with you family's before the big disaster strikes. I'm scared not ashamed to say it some of the images I have seen are images of hell. I hope I'm wrong but I don't have much hope now after seeing the images all over TV. "

You realise that his nukes can hit all of Europe already and have been able to for more than 50 years? He doesn't need to move them to launch on us or anyone else. Having a new border to put them onakes zero difference to his capabilities. The IC in ICBM means inter-continental

galway

"

How about to stop a billionaire from killing loads of poor people?"

This is happening all over the world. Not just in the Ukraine. And no, I would not let them go.

Dublin South

I think they are mainly German airmen who crashed here while bombing the UK and victims of a ship that was sunk. Apart from an accidental bombing of the Nth Strand in Dublin there were no Germans in combat on Irish soil in WW2

By *ant111Man  over a year ago

Dublin

Try living for one week with no electricity, food or sanitation is all i can think.

So no more Russian vodka in the distant future, apparently its part of these new sanctions against Russia, no more smirnoff or Russian standard brings a tear to my eye

By *ofusplusCouple  over a year ago

Limerick

"So no more Russian vodka in the distant future, apparently its part of these new sanctions against Russia, no more smirnoff or Russian standard brings a tear to my eye "

Hold your tears, Smirnoff is owned by Diageo i.e. British

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

"Ukraine should spend the money as they wish but our neutrality is important in this world."

So by that definition Russia could attack Ireland and there nothing nato could do about it.

And you can just imagine the mass exodus across that land border.

So much for neutrality

Bristol

"It doesn't matter the whole world is under threat now even if he doesn't or dose occupy urkraine, I he will set up rockets along the border and have them pointing straight at Europe he wants to destroy us, Russian shops started an agreeesive chase with an American destroyer today trying to provoke it into a fight. it not about ukraine its about them wanting to become a new world order, 100000 belurus chectians are marching on urkine right now, it won't stop there, Putin is all ready saying the West shouldn't have nukes and that's his next mad excuse to go after NATO next. I suggest people you spend as much time with you family's before the big disaster strikes. I'm scared not ashamed to say it some of the images I have seen are images of hell. I hope I'm wrong but I don't have much hope now after seeing the images all over TV.

You realise that his nukes can hit all of Europe already and have been able to for more than 50 years? He doesn't need to move them to launch on us or anyone else. Having a new border to put them onakes zero difference to his capabilities. The IC in ICBM means inter-continental "

Just as long as someone is quick enough to fire uk and nato one’s right back at his precious Moscow.

If he wants to turn me to a cinder then right back at him

Bristol

"So no more Russian vodka in the distant future, apparently its part of these new sanctions against Russia, no more smirnoff or Russian standard brings a tear to my eye "

That’s ok there still polish vodka

By *itzi999Woman  over a year ago

Slough

"So no more Russian vodka in the distant future, apparently its part of these new sanctions against Russia, no more smirnoff or Russian standard brings a tear to my eye

That’s ok there still polish vodka "

Absolut Swedish vodka is way better

Bristol

"So no more Russian vodka in the distant future, apparently its part of these new sanctions against Russia, no more smirnoff or Russian standard brings a tear to my eye

That’s ok there still polish vodka

Absolut Swedish vodka is way better "

I have tried it and agree

By *elanie de la CoeurTV/TS  over a year ago

Dublin

What do you think

I agree that we should give money to Ukraine for food, medical supplies etc but no way would I support Ireland giving money to spend on weapons.

More weaponary is not going to solve this. In fact it will make it worse

By *elanie de la CoeurTV/TS  over a year ago

Dublin

Have we learned nothing the last two years, do not believe everything you hear or read, and be very scared when we will only hear one side because the other is silenced! I'd prefer to hear what the other side are saying instead of only hearing one viewpoint. Do we not find this a little odd? "

I do and you do but seems the majority are happy enough to let the media do their thinking for them

Have we learned nothing the last two years, do not believe everything you hear or read, and be very scared when we will only hear one side because the other is silenced! I'd prefer to hear what the other side are saying instead of only hearing one viewpoint. Do we not find this a little odd?

I do and you do but seems the majority are happy enough to let the media do their thinking for them "

The 'legacy media' doesn't tell you how to think, they just tell you what to think about ?

By *amish SMan  over a year ago

Eastleigh

Ireland lost its neutrality when it joined the EU. Can you imagine them telling Ursula, it's OK we are neutral so will refuel Russian warships. Little known fact is that residents of Ireland can serve in UK armed forces.

kildare

"Ireland lost its neutrality when it joined the EU. Can you imagine them telling Ursula, it's OK we are neutral so will refuel Russian warships. Little known fact is that residents of Ireland can serve in UK armed forces. "

That is not a little known fact.

Royal Irish regiment.

Many thousands of Irish served during both world wars and still do.

» Add a new message to this topic