Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *mateur100 OP   Man  over a year ago

nr faversham

"Cuts all over the place yet another other £2k for the poor cherubs

Thoroughly deserved I'm sure

Goodness , I bet you're a laugh at parties

As it goes, yes I am

Obviously not swinging parties "

I've been known to swing at certain individuals. Any comment on the actual post????

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

As it goes, yes I am

Obviously not swinging parties

I've been known to swing at certain individuals. Any comment on the actual post????"

One day you will get a green tick?? , I was just responding in kind to your comment on another thread, it’s only banter

nr faversham

As it goes, yes I am

Obviously not swinging parties

I've been known to swing at certain individuals. Any comment on the actual post????

One day you will get a green tick?? , I was just responding in kind to your comment on another thread, it’s only banter "

Still no comment on the original post

By *ony 2016Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

Anyone worrying about the impending rise in gas and electricity prices must welcome a £2,200 pay rise

By *rFunBoyMan  over a year ago

Longridge

"Anyone worrying about the impending rise in gas and electricity prices must welcome a £2,200 pay rise "

Absolutely, and they will take it.

Not like the rest of this country down on its knees.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

They don’t set it, have no influence and based (percentage wise) on other public sector increases. They haven’t had an increase for two years and the leaders are asking for the IPSA not to implement this one as well.

Until it goes through, no story

By *ellhungvweMan  over a year ago

Cheltenham

I actually think our MPs are woefully underpaid.

The vast majority of them are well meaning and earnest but basically not up to the job and we need people who are really capable and who would see it as a proper career.

The people who could be capable can earn far more than an MP currently does and so they don’t become MPs. We are all the worse off for that.

By *tranTV/TS  over a year ago

City

I think the whole system needs to be scrapped.

I don't know why MP should be payed anything more than a normal middle management job. I think the system should change so we can actually evaluate what they do better.

A lot of the time they just go into a department and say one or two ideas to the other civil servants who have been there since tatcher and basically do nothing.

By *BWarksCouple  over a year ago

warwick

MPs haven’t been paid enough for years.

There pay may seem a lot to most people but the pay rates of the top jobs about are many times higher than many of us earn …. MPs pay has to compete….. pay peanuts get monkeys

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

"I actually think our MPs are woefully underpaid.

The vast majority of them are well meaning and earnest but basically not up to the job and we need people who are really capable and who would see it as a proper career.

The people who could be capable can earn far more than an MP currently does and so they don’t become MPs. We are all the worse off for that."

I agree they are under paid. But taking this pay rise is bad optics in the current climate.

Cheltenham

The people who could be capable can earn far more than an MP currently does and so they don’t become MPs. We are all the worse off for that.

I agree they are under paid. But taking this pay rise is bad optics in the current climate. "

The optics are always bad.

Cheltenham

"I think the whole system needs to be scrapped.

I don't know why MP should be payed anything more than a normal middle management job. I think the system should change so we can actually evaluate what they do better.

A lot of the time they just go into a department and say one or two ideas to the other civil servants who have been there since tatcher and basically do nothing."

Middle managers are middle managers because they are not good enough to be senior managers.

I am not sure that having people that only have middle management capability is really what we want.

On a mooch

I agree they are under paid. But taking this pay rise is bad optics in the current climate. "

You know they have no say in whether this goes through or not ?

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

The whole system needs a total revamp. IMHO the MPs should all get a massive pay rise...

BUT be forbidden from having 2nd, 3rd jobs or consultancy positions. They should also not be allowed to join any company in any capacity for 5 years after leaving politics IF that company was operating in a field that the MP had some involvement with (ie lobbying for the downstream reward).

Also dramatically revamp allowable expenses and build an MP hotel in Westminster to avoid need for “2nd homes”.

By *otMe66Man  over a year ago

Terra Firma

"Anyone worrying about the impending rise in gas and electricity prices must welcome a £2,200 pay rise

Absolutely, and they will take it.

Not like the rest of this country down on its knees. "

£2200 a year pay rise is shockingly low for the job.

By *ustintime69Man  over a year ago

Bristol

"The whole system needs a total revamp. IMHO the MPs should all get a massive pay rise...

BUT be forbidden from having 2nd, 3rd jobs or consultancy positions. They should also not be allowed to join any company in any capacity for 5 years after leaving politics IF that company was operating in a field that the MP had some involvement with (ie lobbying for the downstream reward).

Also dramatically revamp allowable expenses and build an MP hotel in Westminster to avoid need for “2nd homes”."

Now that makes sense to me and in an ideal world that would remove the “need” for second or third jobs but I dont think it would change anything except make life more expensive through increased taxation and allow MPs to be even less in tune with the general public than they already are….Boris, Priti, Jacob, etc

Money swills around the US system and it doesn’t seem to me that it’s any more rational and in tune with its people, if anything I’d say it was worse but that’s just imho

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

I think it is very much a “read the room” situation…. And they haven’t in this case at all!

If everyone else is getting a squeeze in their wages come April.. and you barely gave those in the public sector and on the front line an increase, I don’t think you can justify giving yourselves a wage rise at this point in time.

Brighton

"I think it is very much a “read the room” situation…. And they haven’t in this case at all!

If everyone else is getting a squeeze in their wages come April.. and you barely gave those in the public sector and on the front line an increase, I don’t think you can justify giving yourselves a wage rise at this point in time."

The optics are very bad. What did all those NHS workers on the frontline of Covid get? I seem to recall some vouchers (may not remember that right but it was insulting).

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

"MPs haven’t been paid enough for years.

There pay may seem a lot to most people but the pay rates of the top jobs about are many times higher than many of us earn …. MPs pay has to compete….. pay peanuts get monkeys "

That's not entirely true. The electorate choose the monkeys and a lot of the monkeys are very well paid already - quite a lot of them even keep their jobs, on the side.

The suggestion that paying them more would give us better politics is just ridiculous.

The only thing that will do that is scrapping FPTP in favour of PR - which has already been rejected by UK voters once already.

So, the system is fucked - but that's the way most of us want it; and bitching about MPs pay, either way, isn't going to change anything.

On a mooch

"I think it is very much a “read the room” situation…. And they haven’t in this case at all!

If everyone else is getting a squeeze in their wages come April.. and you barely gave those in the public sector and on the front line an increase, I don’t think you can justify giving yourselves a wage rise at this point in time.

The optics are very bad. What did all those NHS workers on the frontline of Covid get? I seem to recall some vouchers (may not remember that right but it was insulting)."

3% last year and 3% this year for NHS

nr faversham

The optics are very bad. What did all those NHS workers on the frontline of Covid get? I seem to recall some vouchers (may not remember that right but it was insulting).

3% last year and 3% this year for NHS "

I genuinely cannot believe the majority of the comments. Pay them more? I'm aghast

Terra Firma

[Removed by poster at 02/03/22 16:15:25]

Terra Firma

I genuinely cannot believe the majority of the comments. Pay them more? I'm aghast "

I don't think MP's should be capped or denied a pay rise because they are MP's, or denied a pay rise because another job role hasn't had a rise.

It is not a job anyone can do, or wants to do, which changes the pay and reward structure.

This might sound a little harsh to people who believe they work harder than MP's or have roles that are more important, and I don't say it with any disrespect towards anyones chosen professions, MP's are people in jobs like everyone else.

nr faversham

I genuinely cannot believe the majority of the comments. Pay them more? I'm aghast

I don't think MP's should be capped or denied a pay rise because they are MP's, or denied a pay rise because another job role hasn't had a rise.

It is not a job anyone can do, or wants to do, which changes the pay and reward structure.

This might sound a little harsh to people who believe they work harder than MP's or have roles that are more important, and I don't say it with any disrespect towards anyones chosen professions, MP's are people in jobs like everyone else."

Terra Firma

This might sound a little harsh to people who believe they work harder than MP's or have roles that are more important, and I don't say it with any disrespect towards anyones chosen professions, MP's are people in jobs like everyone else.

"

What is your main issue with MP's having a pay rise?

nr faversham

What is your main issue with MP's having a pay rise?"

Seriously? If I have to justify my concerns there's something wrong. I suggest you apply performance to recognition targets

Terra Firma

Seriously? If I have to justify my concerns there's something wrong. I suggest you apply performance to recognition targets"

Yes, give me your view on why MP's should not have a pay rise, it could change my mind, I can do that if I accept I hadn't realised all of the facts

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"The whole system needs a total revamp. IMHO the MPs should all get a massive pay rise...

Also dramatically revamp allowable expenses and build an MP hotel in Westminster to avoid need for “2nd homes”."

nr faversham

Seriously? If I have to justify my concerns there's something wrong. I suggest you apply performance to recognition targets

Yes, give me your view on why MP's should not have a pay rise, it could change my mind, I can do that if I accept I hadn't realised all of the facts "

What does your mp deliver? Actually, forget that. If you wish to believe something like that, go ahead. I disagree. Wholeheartedly. But I'm not getting involved further.

Terra Firma

Yes, give me your view on why MP's should not have a pay rise, it could change my mind, I can do that if I accept I hadn't realised all of the facts

What does your mp deliver? Actually, forget that. If you wish to believe something like that, go ahead. I disagree. Wholeheartedly. But I'm not getting involved further."

I'm rather disappointed that you wont provide your view on the reasons MP's should not be given a pay rise. I was looking forward to a good debate and hoping to learn something. There is always the next time..

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

There pay may seem a lot to most people but the pay rates of the top jobs about are many times higher than many of us earn …. MPs pay has to compete….. pay peanuts get monkeys

That's not entirely true. The electorate choose the monkeys and a lot of the monkeys are very well paid already - quite a lot of them even keep their jobs, on the side.

The suggestion that paying them more would give us better politics is just ridiculous.

The only thing that will do that is scrapping FPTP in favour of PR - which has already been rejected by UK voters once already.

So, the system is fucked - but that's the way most of us want it; and bitching about MPs pay, either way, isn't going to change anything."

When did the voters reject PR? Was it part of a GE or separate referendum?

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

So, the system is fucked - but that's the way most of us want it; and bitching about MPs pay, either way, isn't going to change anything.

When did the voters reject PR? Was it part of a GE or separate referendum?"

May 2011, in a referendum.

6 million people wanted to change.

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

When did the voters reject PR? Was it part of a GE or separate referendum?

May 2011, in a referendum.

6 million people wanted to change. "

A referendum then, so a fair way to do it. I do not think it was a vote on PR though.

Cheltenham

What does your mp deliver? Actually, forget that. If you wish to believe something like that, go ahead. I disagree. Wholeheartedly. But I'm not getting involved further."

I literally have no idea what your concern is - other than you are aghast. I really like the word aghast but it doesn’t really give me any indication as to what is wrong.

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

we voted on AV not PR

By *uddy laneMan  over a year ago

dudley

"we voted on AV not PR "

would people accept pr or would we have years of moaning that it did not go the way they thought it would.

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

We have 650 of the fuckers. Far too many!

dudley

"We have 650 of the fuckers. Far too many! "

For the size of the country far to many even the USA don't have that many and just look at the size of it

Terra Firma

"We have 650 of the fuckers. Far too many!

For the size of the country far to many even the USA don't have that many and just look at the size of it"

Would that indicate people are better represented, if not how would we benefit with fewer MP's?

Brighton

I genuinely cannot believe the majority of the comments. Pay them more? I'm aghast "

I am one of those but the pay rise comes with dramatic changes on all other perks and second/third income etc. They should be well paid but have 100% focus.

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

I agree with all of this and have posted as much in the past. What I would add is each constituency has an admin office with civil servants doing the MPs admin work so no nepotism jobs. Each MP gets the same staff. This will result in more experienced capable staff too.

Brighton

Also dramatically revamp allowable expenses and build an MP hotel in Westminster to avoid need for “2nd homes”.

I agree with all of this and have posted as much in the past. What I would add is each constituency has an admin office with civil servants doing the MPs admin work so no nepotism jobs. Each MP gets the same staff. This will result in more experienced capable staff too. "

Never thought of that one but yes spot on. Great idea!

dudley

I agree with all of this and have posted as much in the past. What I would add is each constituency has an admin office with civil servants doing the MPs admin work so no nepotism jobs. Each MP gets the same staff. This will result in more experienced capable staff too. "

That would sort it out, but you will have them kicking and screaming to get them to agree to it and we don't make the rules do we.

Cheltenham

I think this is an excellent idea.

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Thoroughly deserved I'm sure "

I am sure they are going to be taxed just like us, which is going to be evaporated when the 1.25% percentage point increase is happening. So technically they might be on the same pay, they have increased to cover the tax rise, I wish we could have the same luxury.

» Add a new message to this topic