FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > What happens next?

What happens next?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ools and the brain OP   Couple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

So let's fast forward a bit.

Russia has taken complete control of Ukraine, no nuke's released and for the most part fighting has stopped.

Does Putin stop there or does he carry on?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *al2001Man  over a year ago

kildare

You should learn from your history that fighting won't stop

It will just take different forms.

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

all around

The time has come for action, threats of nuclear weapons cannot be allowed to intimidate the west it's time to defend the innocent Ukrainian people against genocide and force Putin's commanders to make a decision.

couple, us we him her.

"You should learn from your history that fighting won't stop

"

I know my history very well thank you am playing devils advocate and bit in asking a loaded question (no pun intended)

Personally I don't think he will stop now he's got a taste of blood and has yet to be stopped.

Like many others I just don't understand why he's doing it.

By *otMe66Man  over a year ago

Terra Firma

"So let's fast forward a bit.

Russia has taken complete control of Ukraine, no nuke's released and for the most part fighting has stopped.

Does Putin stop there or does he carry on?"

This scenario would take years to reach. Occupying forces will be faced with sabotage, underground resistance and peoples that just will not break. The money and resource needed to retain enough presence to prevent uprisings will make the initial invasion look like small change. The occupying forces will face hostility on every street corner, their moral will suffer and news of this will travel to an extent that the people back home will really begin to question their occupation.

Putin's hardest decisions are still to be made, how to get out without losing.

This or very similar is how many invasions that end up in an occupation play out. We don't know what Putin's end game is...

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I initially understood and sympathised with what Putin was doing with his threats etc.

However, actually invading Ukraine and threatening nukes was not the way forward.

all around

There is no way out, Putin has to die

The world can never deal with this madman ever again.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

He won't be able to take the whole of Ukraine, not sure how far he wants to go beyond the capital which is symbolises control which the Russians will never have despite which puppet administration they try and impose upon the Ukrainian people ..

When he takes Mariopol and Odessa he'll have a land bridge from the Crimea and will cut access to the sea which the bulk of trade uses..

This war is different from Grozny and Syria, the Ukrainian people are not going to let him take their lands and the West will give them the means to fight on ..

The economy of Russia will collapse, and Putin and his close circle will be dealing with problems at home..

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

Pakistans prim minister has stabbed everyone else in the back with a massive deal with Russia for gas lay Wednesday just before the invasion of Ukraine.

And as everyone knew what was going on he is complicit

Bristol

"He won't be able to take the whole of Ukraine, not sure how far he wants to go beyond the capital which is symbolises control which the Russians will never have despite which puppet administration they try and impose upon the Ukrainian people ..

When he takes Mariopol and Odessa he'll have a land bridge from the Crimea and will cut access to the sea which the bulk of trade uses..

This war is different from Grozny and Syria, the Ukrainian people are not going to let him take their lands and the West will give them the means to fight on ..

The economy of Russia will collapse, and Putin and his close circle will be dealing with problems at home.."

Notice that all of the top warmongers in Russia are all old men near the last decades of their life so don’t see a problem with fucking everyone else’s up

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Pakistans prim minister has stabbed everyone else in the back with a massive deal with Russia for gas lay Wednesday just before the invasion of Ukraine.

And as everyone knew what was going on he is complicit "

Not sure I agree about complicity, we the west post Crimea being annexed have happily brought oil and gas from there which sent a message to Putin we weren't interested other than tut tutting in elected assemblies..

Commerce will continue and whilst we in the west need to wean ourselves off russian fossil fuels going forward..

Maybe we take the hit now of a total embargo because we are indirectly funding the military daily..

all around

"He won't be able to take the whole of Ukraine, not sure how far he wants to go beyond the capital which is symbolises control which the Russians will never have despite which puppet administration they try and impose upon the Ukrainian people ..

The economy of Russia will collapse, and Putin and his close circle will be dealing with problems at home..

Notice that all of the top warmongers in Russia are all old men near the last decades of their life so don’t see a problem with fucking everyone else’s up "

So we should hide under the bed and hope it goes away ?

Bristol

Notice that all of the top warmongers in Russia are all old men near the last decades of their life so don’t see a problem with fucking everyone else’s up

So we should hide under the bed and hope it goes away ?"

No but I suspect that we will have to deal with much more in time.

But the blame is and always must be down to Putin he’s not going to stop until he turns everything radioactive.

But that’s just my opinion

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

Putin cannot dominate the Ukraine the people will not give in he will have problems there for the rest of his life, coupled with the sanctions the russian people will have to endure he has created a big problem for himself.

By *al2001Man  over a year ago

kildare

I know my history very well thank you am playing devils advocate and bit in asking a loaded question (no pun intended)

Personally I don't think he will stop now he's got a taste of blood and has yet to be stopped.

Like many others I just don't understand why he's doing it."

He will be too busy fighting insurgents to do anything else I think.

Said insurgents will also give him something to think when he's making his plans fir the future.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

It's more likely to end up with the whole region destabilised and continued war in one form or another. See recent invasions of Iraq, Afghanistan, etc, what's going on in the Congo.

These things drag on for years and years.

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

Think what people are missing here is they think the russian milatry are similar to ours, want to see what the russians do when they meet people who refuse to give up check out before and after pictures of chechnyas capital after the russians had finished, i hope it dosent come to that but if previous actions are aything to go by it coud get a whoe lot worse for ukraine

By *ighty_tightyMan  over a year ago

Norfolk/Suffolk

"Pakistans prim minister has stabbed everyone else in the back with a massive deal with Russia for gas lay Wednesday just before the invasion of Ukraine.

Not sure I agree about complicity, we the west post Crimea being annexed have happily brought oil and gas from there which sent a message to Putin we weren't interested other than tut tutting in elected assemblies..

Commerce will continue and whilst we in the west need to wean ourselves off russian fossil fuels going forward..

Maybe we take the hit now of a total embargo because we are indirectly funding the military daily.."

If we come off of Russian oil/gas the price will sky rocket. Russia will still sell it elsewhere at the now inflated market prices.

By *itzi999Woman  over a year ago

Slough

I honestly think he will be taken out (ie, bumped off by drone/hitman/etc)

Bristol

Maybe we take the hit now of a total embargo because we are indirectly funding the military daily..

If we come off of Russian oil/gas the price will sky rocket. Russia will still sell it elsewhere at the now inflated market prices. "

This is where the green agenda has gotten us we should have been fracking by now.

Gas would have been a fraction of the price it is

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

fracking gas would've sold been at the market price in the same way that electricity from renwables costs the same as electric from gas. the only difference being that roy franklin would be making eye watering profits which he would doubtless remove from the uk economy to his offshore shell companies in panama, cayman and bvi.

Bristol

"fracking gas would've sold been at the market price in the same way that electricity from renwables costs the same as electric from gas. the only difference being that roy franklin would be making eye watering profits which he would doubtless remove from the uk economy to his offshore shell companies in panama, cayman and bvi."

This is why it should be state owned and run not private.

The same with any utilities

By *uddy laneMan  over a year ago

dudley

If we come off of Russian oil/gas the price will sky rocket. Russia will still sell it elsewhere at the now inflated market prices.

This is where the green agenda has gotten us we should have been fracking by now.

Gas would have been a fraction of the price it is "

Good idea a nationalised fracking gas company, but that will not happen the gas will be sold to the energy companies and they will sell it at the price set at the European spot market price. 5% of our gas comes from Europe at the European spot price, the other 95% is not but it is priced at the European spot price.

considering the level of corruption demonstrated by the conservative and unionist party government over the last decade or so, then nationalisation of anything other than debt from political mismanagement will never happen, especially if the turkeys keep voting for christmas.

dudley

"considering the level of corruption demonstrated by the conservative and unionist party government over the last decade or so, then nationalisation of anything other than debt from political mismanagement will never happen, especially if the turkeys keep voting for christmas. "

golden fields

Are you genuinely this confused? If we'd moved to renewables 20 years ago. We wouldn't be in this mess.

The "green agenda" is the agenda of humanity.

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

Does Putin stop there or does he carry on?

It's more likely to end up with the whole region destabilised and continued war in one form or another. See recent invasions of Iraq, Afghanistan, etc, what's going on in the Congo.

These things drag on for years and years. "

Pretty much this. He stops because he's bogged down for years and his economy is dwindling.

The main difference is that, back in the 1980's, Gorbachev was smart enough to realise that such a state of affairs couldn't last.

Putin doesn't give a shit - so that's a real problem. Literally any way you crunch the numbers, he fails; and he's bound to know that.

The best we can hope for is that he's defeated/removed from power sooner, rather than later.

And I say hope because you'd better believe that, no matter how many westerners want it, NATO isn't going to war over this.

The long game may really hurt Ukraine - but it's not hurting the USA, UK and EU anywhere near as much as a Third World War would.

Btw - Third World War - would it be; if China and India sat back and watched? Let's face it, they'd be daft not to.

all around

Are you genuinely this confused? If we'd moved to renewables 20 years ago. We wouldn't be in this mess.

The "green agenda" is the agenda of humanity."

We still won't have completely "green energy" in another 20 years unless we have a miraculous discovery because we simply don't have the technology at a price we can afford.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

War of restance I expect., plus terrorist style attacks in Russia possibly

By *ighty_tightyMan  over a year ago

Norfolk/Suffolk

We are fracking, it's a very common practice. We just do it offshore and not onshore.

We have been winding down exploration levels over the last decade or so for both cost and green reasons. We could be developing and producing more but we are not.

Bristol

The "green agenda" is the agenda of humanity."

Meanwhile nobody will be able to afford to heat their houses drive to work food prices will still keep going up because of the cost of fuel ect.

Trying to push the green agenda before the technology is ready for it.

Other countries are either making money out of their natural resources or simply buying carbon fuels from other countries and claiming lower footprints because of the fact that they themselves are not digging it up.

the conservative and unionist party governments have had over a decade to sort this out but are more interested in expanding their chumocratic corruption instead.... and still the turkeys keep voting for christmas.

golden fields

We still won't have completely "green energy" in another 20 years unless we have a miraculous discovery because we simply don't have the technology at a price we can afford."

We won't have it in 20 years, simply because the lack of political will.

The big money is in fossil fuels. Which cost way way way more than renewables.

golden fields

Meanwhile nobody will be able to afford to heat their houses drive to work food prices will still keep going up because of the cost of fuel ect.

Trying to push the green agenda before the technology is ready for it.

Other countries are either making money out of their natural resources or simply buying carbon fuels from other countries and claiming lower footprints because of the fact that they themselves are not digging it up.

"

Oh, you genuinely are this confused.

There's some really good information out there about renewable energy.

By *rFunBoyMan  over a year ago

Longridge

We still won't have completely "green energy" in another 20 years unless we have a miraculous discovery because we simply don't have the technology at a price we can afford."

I generate 80% of the annual energy I consume plus some bonus Air Conditioner credits in summer.

This, at a cost of £6k and been installed around 5yrs. Is 80% not better than 0% in light of the mess the climate is in.

Unfortunately, for 6weeks of the year, Solar is not great, almost non existent but can take comfort the energy I do consume is supposedly "green sourced"..

I wouldn't say offsetting what I would have paid in bills the last 5yrs to cover it, has broken the bank. In fact, I could say, I've not even missed it..

The last 2 years, Direct Debit was £40 per month, just gone up £65 due to re-tariff increase by 50%.

With this in mind, an additional 3ke being added and bigger batteries to allow more coverage for less sunny days..

It's actually fun working out best times to consume energy a d run the washer - for FREE..

Maybe people should drop the "Solar doesn't pay crap" Martin Lewis spews out as he thinks government should pay extortionate sums for home produced kwhs. When at 36p/kw pricing coming towards many in October, the value is in generating and using it, not selling for 4p/kw.

Solar/ Battery / Hot Water is the way and affordable today compared to the real cost of energy.

50 houses on my street, 3 have Solar, why?

dudley

Hydrogen is the way to go for clean energy.

golden fields

We still won't have completely "green energy" in another 20 years unless we have a miraculous discovery because we simply don't have the technology at a price we can afford.

I generate 80% of the annual energy I consume plus some bonus Air Conditioner credits in summer.

This, at a cost of £6k and been installed around 5yrs. Is 80% not better than 0% in light of the mess the climate is in.

Unfortunately, for 6weeks of the year, Solar is not great, almost non existent but can take comfort the energy I do consume is supposedly "green sourced"..

I wouldn't say offsetting what I would have paid in bills the last 5yrs to cover it, has broken the bank. In fact, I could say, I've not even missed it..

The last 2 years, Direct Debit was £40 per month, just gone up £65 due to re-tariff increase by 50%.

With this in mind, an additional 3ke being added and bigger batteries to allow more coverage for less sunny days..

It's actually fun working out best times to consume energy a d run the washer - for FREE..

Maybe people should drop the "Solar doesn't pay crap" Martin Lewis spews out as he thinks government should pay extortionate sums for home produced kwhs. When at 36p/kw pricing coming towards many in October, the value is in generating and using it, not selling for 4p/kw.

Solar/ Battery / Hot Water is the way and affordable today compared to the real cost of energy.

50 houses on my street, 3 have Solar, why?

"

Because the Tories promised grants for it. Then cancelled the whole thing after the election.

Solar works on a bigger scale when I'm conjunction with wind, hydroelectric, and wave power. The tech is here now. The only problem is lack of political will.

Longridge

No need for grants. Half an hour with a calculator, a low interest loan and a decision to go ahead is all it takes. Without batteries 40% with batteries up to 80% reduction in electricity bills.

4kw system on eBay for £2,200, battery storage £2,100 is all it needs to save a substantial amount on electricity. Grab a roofer and an electrician to certify it, most of it can be DIY if you are comfortable with a drill.

Taking it a step further, a cheap 210litre tank and a £200 diverter to immersion heaters to dump excess Solar into hot water when batteries are charged. Run the washer and other heavy loads on sunny days, later add Heat Pumps (Air Conditioners - I have 2x at £300 each) to use for free heating and soon it falls into place. This year, a £1500 heat pump is going in to bulk heat the tank to 60 to use quarter the energy.

Why people believe Hydrogen is the future is beyond me, other being fed crap from the government and boiler manufacturers. Hydrogen is a very long way off, Solar is here now a d very affordable.

There isn't the capacity of electricity available to make Hydrogen and with the growth in EVs, home batteries, it's many years away - we need to wake up.

If you have an EV and tariff, get the batteries and charge them overnight using 7p/kwh and use it the day after and add Solar later.

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

"Hydrogen is the way to go for clean energy."

Possibly though depends on what you use it for and more importantly how it's produced

all around

"No need for grants. Half an hour with a calculator, a low interest loan and a decision to go ahead is all it takes. Without batteries 40% with batteries up to 80% reduction in electricity bills.

4kw system on eBay for £2,200, battery storage £2,100 is all it needs to save a substantial amount on electricity. Grab a roofer and an electrician to certify it, most of it can be DIY if you are comfortable with a drill.

Taking it a step further, a cheap 210litre tank and a £200 diverter to immersion heaters to dump excess Solar into hot water when batteries are charged. Run the washer and other heavy loads on sunny days, later add Heat Pumps (Air Conditioners - I have 2x at £300 each) to use for free heating and soon it falls into place. This year, a £1500 heat pump is going in to bulk heat the tank to 60 to use quarter the energy.

Why people believe Hydrogen is the future is beyond me, other being fed crap from the government and boiler manufacturers. Hydrogen is a very long way off, Solar is here now a d very affordable.

There isn't the capacity of electricity available to make Hydrogen and with the growth in EVs, home batteries, it's many years away - we need to wake up.

If you have an EV and tariff, get the batteries and charge them overnight using 7p/kwh and use it the day after and add Solar later."

You realise solar is less than 25% efficient ?

dudley

"Hydrogen is the way to go for clean energy.

Possibly though depends on what you use it for and more importantly how it's produced"

You use it in fuel cells to create electricity, and it

can be produced from water or natural gas, researchers recently "from the news feeds I get from my own app", have found a way of extracting hydrogen from water using aluminium coated with a material that reacts with the water to strip the hydrogen atom from water at no cost or energy.

Longridge

"No need for grants. Half an hour with a calculator, a low interest loan and a decision to go ahead is all it takes. Without batteries 40% with batteries up to 80% reduction in electricity bills.

If you have an EV and tariff, get the batteries and charge them overnight using 7p/kwh and use it the day after and add Solar later.

You realise solar is less than 25% efficient ?"

Depends is Solar PV or PVT.. does efficiency matter when its free energy from the roof?

It's a lot more efficient than 19.9p/kw..

By *oncupiscentTonyMan  over a year ago

Kent

I can't ever see him in complete control or even the parts he's cheery picked, the sanctions are and will grind the Russian economy to a halt hopefully leading to and overthrow and Putin being extradited to the Hague in return for their lifting.

dudley

You realise solar is less than 25% efficient ?

Depends is Solar PV or PVT.. does efficiency matter when its free energy from the roof?

It's a lot more efficient than 19.9p/kw.."

But they harm the environment in their manufacture and recycle.

Longridge

Possibly though depends on what you use it for and more importantly how it's produced

can be produced from water or natural gas, researchers recently "from the news feeds I get from my own app", have found a way of extracting hydrogen from water using aluminium coated with a material that reacts with the water to strip the hydrogen atom from water at no cost or energy."

That's cool, let's stop burning gas to make Hydrogen with it instead at 75% efficiency..

Or production from water at 140% the energy input to whats given back. Sure sounds like it will work to me.. May as well just run emersion heaters..

Oh, wait for it. Solar panels cause pollution in manufacturing and disposal.

dudley

Remember when diesel were better than petrol pushed by the government how things change.

Longridge

[Removed by poster at 03/03/22 20:13:32]

dudley

can be produced from water or natural gas, researchers recently "from the news feeds I get from my own app", have found a way of extracting hydrogen from water using aluminium coated with a material that reacts with the water to strip the hydrogen atom from water at no cost or energy.

That's cool, let's stop burning gas to make Hydrogen with it instead at 75% efficiency..

Or production from water at 140% the energy input to whats given back. Sure sounds like it will work to me.. May as well just run emersion heaters..

Oh, wait for it. Solar panels cause pollution in manufacturing and disposal."

No they just drop it in water and it creates hydrogen I know it is hard to believe but heay ho

Longridge

I'll worry about that at their end of life in 35yrs..

When they've saved the equivalent 75,000kwh and saved 45,000 tonnes CO2. Let's just not bother and wait for Fusion..

dudley

"I'll worry about that at their end of life in 35yrs..

When they've saved the equivalent 75,000kwh and saved 45,000 tonnes CO2. Let's just not bother and wait for Fusion.."

So you have a 35yr guarantee on those things or just 12 months.

Kent

"

If we come off of Russian oil/gas the price will sky rocket. Russia will still sell it elsewhere at the now inflated market prices. "

Mid March futures for Russian oil have fallen through the floor, nobody wants to buy it and nobody wants to transport it. The Chinese pipeline even at full chat won't replace lost markets and won't achieve revenues either. The only downside for Western buyers is a higher spot price on middle East supplies but as a human being I'd like to think Western consumers will accept the higher pump prices in as a price worth paying to stop indiscriminate slaughter of innocent civilians

Longridge

Did you not hear..

Pakistan has already agreed to buy it.. taps to EU shut soon..

Longridge

When they've saved the equivalent 75,000kwh and saved 45,000 tonnes CO2. Let's just not bother and wait for Fusion..

So you have a 35yr guarantee on those things or just 12 months."

Go feed the meter, I'll worry about the warranty..

dudley

Russia is a nuclear powered nation they give the gas away at cost price. You can not get it cheaper if you agree to long term contacts but the last 12 months the energy companies have been buying on a daily higher spot price.

dudley

So you have a 35yr guarantee on those things or just 12 months.

Go feed the meter, I'll worry about the warranty.."

I have fed them to last me for around 18 mths Im sorted.

Kent

"Russia is a nuclear powered nation they give the gas away at cost price. You can not get it cheaper if you agree to long term contacts but the last 12 months the energy companies have been buying on a daily higher spot price."

Nuclear only contributes 20% of Russian electricity generation, the same as hydro. The remainder is from fossil both gas and coal, nobody is "giving away" gas at cost price.

"Nuclear only contributes 20% of Russian electricity generation, the same as hydro. The remainder is from fossil both gas and coal, nobody is "giving away" gas at cost price."

but those that believe RT news is factual believe that they do

dudley

When they've saved the equivalent 75,000kwh and saved 45,000 tonnes CO2. Let's just not bother and wait for Fusion.."

You do realise c02 comes out your mouth when you breath out, keep it shut.

By *risfunMan  over a year ago

brisbane

"

Which part of history did you learn that from .? Northern ireland ? The English have taken and tried to rule so many places

Kent

"Did you not hear..

Pakistan has already agreed to buy it.. taps to EU shut soon.."

Once the pipelines built, good luck with that now

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

can be produced from water or natural gas, researchers recently "from the news feeds I get from my own app", have found a way of extracting hydrogen from water using aluminium coated with a material that reacts with the water to strip the hydrogen atom from water at no cost or energy."

Thank you, it sounds very interesting and a little surprised we not heard more about it. Assuming this new material does not need electric to make it then it certainly sounds like a game changer. At present we use electricity to make hydrogen to then make electricity, losing energy at each stage

Longridge

You do realise c02 comes out your mouth when you breath out, keep it shut. "

I'd be more worried about what comes out the other end!!

Longridge

If this is the MIT findings of converting powered and coated scrap aluminium to react with water via hydrolysis to realise hydrogen. Which is then burned in a boiler rather than a sealed fuel cell.

The raw material (aluminium) is energy intensive to extract and to simply use it for hydrogen generation is wasteful in that used aluminium is best used to replace virgin material from mining and recycle it. The there is the millions of tonnes of aluminium hydroxide to dispose of.

Plenty of heartburn remedy I suppose.

The process involves the conversion of aluminium to a waste product, not the catalysing of water to split it - therefore, endless consumption of aluminium.

dudley

You do realise c02 comes out your mouth when you breath out, keep it shut.

I'd be more worried about what comes out the other end!!

"

Well that can be burnt off.

Longridge

couple, us we him her.

Why don't you guys start your own thread to discuss renewable energy sources and take your petty bickering with you.

Bristol

"Why don't you guys start your own thread to discuss renewable energy sources and take your petty bickering with you."

Many families can’t afford to pay the bills they have now and certainly cannot afford to put all that kit into their homes

By *izandpaulCouple  over a year ago

merseyside

"

Why the barbed response, try to be nice.

You probably are a nice person but come over as a smartarse, pity really.

Longridge

"Why don't you guys start your own thread to discuss renewable energy sources and take your petty bickering with you.

Many families can’t afford to pay the bills they have now and certainly cannot afford to put all that kit into their homes

"

There is help for those struggling, low interest loans to offset against bills, grants and other options, one just expired where you would get £5000 against installation at a personal cost of £1250, less than the £625 saved over the next 2 years.

They just need to be found. They'll soon be a traunch of new grants available if they really want to wean us off hydrocarbons.

I'm not well off by any means, but took a decision a few years back that's now paying dividends. It was funded by borrowed money and the savings on bills. Its based on well established technologies and nothing novel.

» Add a new message to this topic