FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant

Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *rFunBoy OP   Man  over a year ago

Longridge

Seems Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant is on fire after being attacked..

Just as winds swing our way from Europe this weekend to blow in from the East.

Anyone old enough to remember Chernobyl?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

Many of us, are you suggesting that Putin has planned an attack based on the direction of the wind?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

He knows he can just disappear down into his nuclear bunker and live out the rest of his miserable life down there

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

In the news just, Russia have taken the plant while firefighters were trying to put out the fires he kept on shelling

Definitely a war criminal and will go down in history alongside hitler, Idi Amin ect.

Mother Russia will be so very proud

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

"Seems Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant is on fire after being attacked..

"

I wouldn't worry too much about the wind at the moment. However Sunday could be a bit iffy for south east England. If it blows up of course.

The easterly pushing in to some parts of the UK is coming from a more northerly part of Europe.

Over Ukraine it's a north easterly which will push anything from there down toward the Balkans. For now at least.

Longridge

[Removed by poster at 04/03/22 09:17:20]

Longridge

Come to think of it, I now wouldn't put it past Putin to plan it depending on the wind direction.

If it was the case of choice, would Putin want that crap blowing all over Russia or Western Europe?

I was actually saying that the weather is changing Easterly this weekend as cold air is blowing in which would have been bad timing for us.

As someone who lived through Chernobyl, it was down to luck whether it rained all over us as was the case with Cumbria.

No conspiracy here.. But if I was going to damage a nuclear power station, I'd certainly be checking the wind direction before doing it.

Belarus would have got to brunt last night.. I doubt this is the last reckless act we've seen.

Ordered plenty of FFP3S last night from Toolstation with 20% off.. might keep hold of them for a while before taking back..

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The world's leaders have said strong words about it so it will be fine. 'Please don't do that Mr Putin.'

Longridge

He got slapped botty, the world is safe again.. phew

couple, us we him her.

Well thank god for experts.

An expert from Sheffield university said

"It's potentially disastrous shelling near a nuclear power plant"

Ermmm no shit Sherlock

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

Could be 16x that of Chernobyl... wonder how Pooting can declare victory if separatists are blowing up power stations. He doesn't seem to have a quick 'out', in that, if separatists are destroying their own towns he's got to sell it to Russia that he's purging Ukraine of them which means a long drawn out 'operation'. His media/propaganda can only tell his people he's either winning this.

Longridge

Just pray if a cloud of radiation goes up, it's when the winds blowing to Moscow. We dodged a bullet last night as a small beast from the East is here this weekend.

Wonder if people here will still refuse to wear masks if its radiation and not virus this time..

I cleared Toolstation out of FFP3s at 2am this morning, just hope I'll be taking them back for a refund!! Got 20% off though..

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

i've noticed a subtle change in the use of language by the UN today. it's entirely possible that they are exploring using the incident at Zaporizhzhya as a precursor to a un peacekeeping mission of clear skies over ukraine, by means of automated weapons systems.

Longridge

Unless Russia VETO..

Hopefully.. they'll work around it.

"Unless Russia VETO..

Hopefully.. they'll work around it."

the russian veto is only usable in security council votes as demonstarted last week where the security council was bypassed for an open vote by all members. hope this helps.

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

"Seems Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant is on fire after being attacked..

"

Plenty of us - and whilst shelling a NPS until parts of it go up in flames is a fucking stupid thing to do; damage to the reactor isn't what you need to worry about.

The real problem is damage to the cooling system, either physical or by loss of power to it.

Of course, the Russians can shut the reactors down, safely - but that would mean the loss of all the electricity they generate.

That, in itself, could be considered a further act of war; and the denial of electricity to civilians - particularly in hospitals - might be considered a war crime.

That said, NATO did use "graphite bombs" to disrupt electricity supplies in Serbia, in 1999; but they're of far more limited effect, obviously, that a shut down reactor.

In any case, avoiding a meltdown is the way to go - and the Russians on the spot know it as well as we do. I'd imagine they'll try hard to avoid it.

By *ellhungvweMan  over a year ago

Cheltenham

So I am slightly conflicted on this. On the one hand shelling a nuclear power station should be obvious to anyone as madness and I thinking it should be listed as a war crime (which I don’t believe it is currently).

In the other hand nuclear power plants, we are constantly being told, are super safe from pretty much anything. They can take direct hits from an airliner and handle earthquakes. Military shelling should not actually be that much of a safety concern on a relative basis.

Which is it? Are they safe from anything or not?

If these things are not safe then they should never be built in the first place. If they are safe (and I happen to believe they are) then maybe we should get things into perspective via a vis nuclear Armageddon?

There are a lot of other bad things happening in Ukraine today. I don’t think this is the worst thing that is happening over there.

"So I am slightly conflicted on this. On the one hand shelling a nuclear power station should be obvious to anyone as madness and I thinking it should be listed as a war crime (which I don’t believe it is currently).

In the other hand nuclear power plants, we are constantly being told, are super safe from pretty much anything. They can take direct hits from an airliner and handle earthquakes. Military shelling should not actually be that much of a safety concern on a relative basis.

If these things are not safe then they should never be built in the first place. If they are safe (and I happen to believe they are) then maybe we should get things into perspective via a vis nuclear Armageddon?

There are a lot of other bad things happening in Ukraine today. I don’t think this is the worst thing that is happening over there."

which out of the planet's nuclear power stations are super safe from pretty much anything? who was it that told you that and how did you fact check what they told you?

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

"So I am slightly conflicted on this. On the one hand shelling a nuclear power station should be obvious to anyone as madness and I thinking it should be listed as a war crime (which I don’t believe it is currently).

There are a lot of other bad things happening in Ukraine today. I don’t think this is the worst thing that is happening over there."

They are designed to be safe from the impact of an airliner and are usually patrolled and protected by a lot of security staff/measures.

However, though, as I've said, the reactors are hard to directly damage; their cooling systems aren't - which is the main problem.

Whether through negligence (Chernobyl) or tsunami (Fukushima), if the core overheats because the cooling system isn't working - and you can't shut the reactor down - that's you're real problem.

Cheltenham

There are a lot of other bad things happening in Ukraine today. I don’t think this is the worst thing that is happening over there.

which out of the planet's nuclear power stations are super safe from pretty much anything? who was it that told you that and how did you fact check what they told you?"

IAEA safety guideline documents SSG-68 ( Design of Nuclear Installations Against External Events Excluding Earthquakes) and SSG-67 (Seismic Design for Nuclear Installations) are good places to start.

I am thinking the IAEA know more about this than any Fab forumite - including you and I

which out of the planet's nuclear power stations are super safe from pretty much anything? who was it that told you that and how did you fact check what they told you?

IAEA safety guideline documents SSG-68 ( Design of Nuclear Installations Against External Events Excluding Earthquakes) and SSG-67 (Seismic Design for Nuclear Installations) are good places to start.

I am thinking the IAEA know more about this than any Fab forumite - including you and I

"

in that case i suggest you go read them to find the answer to your questions then rather than asking on a swingers forum

Cheltenham

in that case i suggest you go read them to find the answer to your questions then rather than asking on a swingers forum "

My point is that I think everyone is panicking too much about this.

couple, us we him her.

When the wind blows

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

"

You've just answered your own question. They are safe from world events - seismic usually. They are not designed for explosive ordinance.

By *uddy laneMan  over a year ago

dudley

You've just answered your own question. They are safe from world events - seismic usually. They are not designed for explosive ordinance. "

Well it is one way of making people move from an area.

By *aughtyAsian4funMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

With regards to war criminals I would also add Tony Blair, Bush, Saudi leaders, Israeli prime minister Netenyahu, China, Modi and all those that have taken lives for their own political interests. Why are there such double standards?

Longridge

"Unless Russia VETO..

Hopefully.. they'll work around it.

the russian veto is only usable in security council votes as demonstarted last week where the security council was bypassed for an open vote by all members. hope this helps. "

I got that, but to use force against another member, can it be bypassed?

» Add a new message to this topic