FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > The Cost Of Living Crisis

The Cost Of Living Crisis

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *V-Alice OP   TV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

I've called it that because - if it isn't already - it's going to be.

Not for everybody, obviously. Those of you who rode out the financial crash, 10 years of austerity and the pandemic ok are going to be fine.

However, for the millions of UK citizens already on their financial knees, in the wake of all that; it will be a crisis.

My fear is that it's going to further increase poverty for those already in it and introduce poverty to many who haven't yet experienced it.

With poverty there's often an increase in the sort of desperation that leads to crime.

But if that crime is stealing some pasta because your children are hungry, or worse, selling your body to a stranger to get your gas bill paid, etc ...

are the wealthy among us going to want such offenders punished - or helped?

Not sure it'll be the latter.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *uddy laneMan  over a year ago

dudley

And for years consecutive political parties have said they are going to reduce child poverty. How is that even going to happen when protesting will be criminalised by the new policeing bill being passed by politicians. They know the revolt is going to happen that is why they are pushing it through.

By *ohnnyTwoNotesMan  over a year ago

golden fields

Consequences of the war in Ukraine, on top of the pandemic and Brexit. Will be very hard on some families.

Hopefully this is the final of the "bad things come in threes".

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

"I've called it that because - if it isn't already - it's going to be.

Not for everybody, obviously. Those of you who rode out the financial crash, 10 years of austerity and the pandemic ok are going to be fine.

However, for the millions of UK citizens already on their financial knees, in the wake of all that; it will be a crisis.

My fear is that it's going to further increase poverty for those already in it and introduce poverty to many who haven't yet experienced it.

With poverty there's often an increase in the sort of desperation that leads to crime.

But if that crime is stealing some pasta because your children are hungry, or worse, selling your body to a stranger to get your gas bill paid, etc ...

Not sure it'll be the latter."

there are some of us that have been actively helping to reduce the effect of the damage caused by the conservative and unionist party governments over the last decade or so. eg for the properties i own, the tenants pay 45% of the market rent. this covers maintenance and upkeep of decor etc. it then enables them to go about the business of making money to invest in their health, education, etc etc without the worry of being exploited by profiteers.

By *TMA that man againMan  over a year ago

worester

Just had email from my energy supplier. My direct debit has gone DOWN by £50/month.

Due the the fact I did a 2yrs fix back end of last year....and I'm currently £300 odd in credit.

Should make up for my increased cost of diesel....?

By *oubleswing2019Man  over a year ago

Colchester

"are the wealthy among us going to want such offenders punished - or helped?

"

Ok, We'll bite.

Helped for several reasons.

1. It's the right, humanist thing to do.

2. By investing in the people that support us, we have a moral obligation to take care of them too, and that means paying them above market rates in order to value them more highly.

3. We realise that crime is often financially driven. The more people that can be lifted out of poverty / low wages, the more that will not turn to crime. And thus additional policing and tax-payer cost is avoided. So by investing in people, we are actually saving money in the long term.

4. The additional money they earn is able to be spent stimulating the economy and businesses.

But..and I cannot stress this strongly enough...this comes at a cost.

The cost is realising when you have enough and do not want more.

It is about knowing when to desire less and sticking to that. It's about knowing your place and finding your happiness level.

It's about knowing yourself.

And we've achieved that.

Ayr

"are the wealthy among us going to want such offenders punished - or helped?

Ok, We'll bite.

Helped for several reasons.

1. It's the right, humanist thing to do.

2. By investing in the people that support us, we have a moral obligation to take care of them too, and that means paying them above market rates in order to value them more highly.

3. We realise that crime is often financially driven. The more people that can be lifted out of poverty / low wages, the more that will not turn to crime. And thus additional policing and tax-payer cost is avoided. So by investing in people, we are actually saving money in the long term.

4. The additional money they earn is able to be spent stimulating the economy and businesses.

But..and I cannot stress this strongly enough...this comes at a cost.

The cost is realising when you have enough and do not want more.

It is about knowing when to desire less and sticking to that. It's about knowing your place and finding your happiness level.

It's about knowing yourself.

And we've achieved that."

Decent argument - but, sadly, your first and second points are the sort of thing our current government would only do if they're dragged into it kicking and screaming.

The pandemic did that - and for the whole first two years of it, many of their MPs have opposed them, however late they came to it, helping people avoid death and unemployment.

That's why I'm pessimistic.

Ayr

there are some of us that have been actively helping to reduce the effect of the damage caused by the conservative and unionist party governments over the last decade or so. eg for the properties i own, the tenants pay 45% of the market rent. this covers maintenance and upkeep of decor etc. it then enables them to go about the business of making money to invest in their health, education, etc etc without the worry of being exploited by profiteers. "

I have a friend not unlike yourself. So, that's two of you.

I fear, though, that you're very much in the minority. Hence my pessimism.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Just filled my car up and brought a Twix.

8 Grand.

(Stolen from twatter)

Remember to get you tanks topped up before the 22nd.

By *xhib12Man  over a year ago

Blyth

there are some of us that have been actively helping to reduce the effect of the damage caused by the conservative and unionist party governments over the last decade or so. eg for the properties i own, the tenants pay 45% of the market rent. this covers maintenance and upkeep of decor etc. it then enables them to go about the business of making money to invest in their health, education, etc etc without the worry of being exploited by profiteers.

I fear, though, that you're very much in the minority. Hence my pessimism."

We also rent out a few properties. Started about five years ago and set the rents at a little below the market rate at that time. We were lucky and got good tenants into them so have not raised the rents since and have no plans to in the current climate. The rental agency keep saying we should as the rent is now well below similar properties but we won't. Having good tenants who look after the properties is good for us and we we never bought them to make money at the expense of people being able to live comfortably. We make enough to cover the costs, tax, etc, carry out any repairs and put a little aside for when larger improvements will be required such as new kitchens, bathrooms, etc. The way we see it is that we'll make our profit when we sell as the value will have gone up.

Ayr

I fear, though, that you're very much in the minority. Hence my pessimism.

We also rent out a few properties. Started about five years ago and set the rents at a little below the market rate at that time. We were lucky and got good tenants into them so have not raised the rents since and have no plans to in the current climate. The rental agency keep saying we should as the rent is now well below similar properties but we won't. Having good tenants who look after the properties is good for us and we we never bought them to make money at the expense of people being able to live comfortably. We make enough to cover the costs, tax, etc, carry out any repairs and put a little aside for when larger improvements will be required such as new kitchens, bathrooms, etc. The way we see it is that we'll make our profit when we sell as the value will have gone up."

Good. But, as I've already said, I fear you're in a minority.

I can't see that changing any time soon.

» Add a new message to this topic