FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > RT and the truth

RT and the truth

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *asyuk OP   Man  over a year ago

West London

So, to all of those who are convinced about the "truth" of Russia's justified invasion and victimhood, how do you explain the resignation of so many journalists employed by state TV.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60763494.amp

"Maria Baronova is the highest-profile resignation at RT, formerly known as Russia Today. Former chief editor at RT, she told the BBC's Steve Rosenberg this month Mr Putin had already destroyed Russia's reputation and that the economy was dead too."

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

I used to watch it now n then just to see what they were telling their people. Im not surprised a lot of russian people still support putin if they were only fed that kind of news without any counter news.

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

It seems that since that editor bust in and held up that sign live on the state tv nightly news more of the journalists have walked

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Some people still think it’s a peace keeping mission.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The BBC, SLY news , CNN are just as full of propaganda crap as RT..

It's the information war, sensationalism of the news... scrambling to get viewer ratings to get more revenue from advertising.. Apart from the BBC of course who extort licence fees.

"Product placement" was talked about but never happened

But anyway, a more balanced view from various channels is better.

Bristol

"The BBC, SLY news , CNN are just as full of propaganda crap as RT.. "

Yes ok

West London

Who do you trust then and why?

At least you are not pretending that RT is impartial.

West London

"It's the information war, sensationalism of the news... scrambling to get viewer ratings to get more revenue from advertising.. Apart from the BBC of course who extort licence fees.

"

That's nothing to do with the question posted.

Who do you trust for information then? What's wrong with the BBC coverage of the war in Ukraine? Who do you trust more?

"It's the information war, sensationalism of the news... scrambling to get viewer ratings to get more revenue from advertising.. Apart from the BBC of course who extort licence fees.

Who do you trust for information then? What's wrong with the BBC coverage of the war in Ukraine? Who do you trust more?"

I don't trust any news off hand.

I've seen a lot, too much from being on the ground, and when getting back to the UK and seeing the news thinking why aren't they reporting on the carnage? The wrong doings by the American troops machine gunning civilians because they're bored, and the American govt not taking steps to find out/prosecute individuals and then accusing russian troops of war crimes {likely to be true) stinks of hypocritical crap

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

all around

Who do you trust for information then? What's wrong with the BBC coverage of the war in Ukraine? Who do you trust more?

I've seen a lot, too much from being on the ground, and when getting back to the UK and seeing the news thinking why aren't they reporting on the carnage? The wrong doings by the American troops machine gunning civilians because they're bored, and the American govt not taking steps to find out/prosecute individuals and then accusing russian troops of war crimes {likely to be true) stinks of hypocritical crap

"

I suppose you trust the stuff random people put in YouTube and Facebook etc lol

I suppose you trust the stuff random people put in YouTube and Facebook etc lol

"

And fab forum

West London

"

Where did the information about "American troops machine gunning civilians because they're bored" come from?

You have seen and heard no coverage of innocent people being killed and injured by Western weaponry from the conventional media channels? No articles? No outrage? Really?

I know RT is a propaganda machine of the Kremlin. I use to watch it as I would watch all news channels from around the world to get a more informed view.

I find our news eg BBC, Sky etc. While they may not tell outright lies are biased and do similar propaganda by promoting a one sided view of conflicts. This is done by not reporting anything that contradicts its bias.

West London

"I know RT is a propaganda machine of the Kremlin. I use to watch it as I would watch all news channels from around the world to get a more informed view.

I find our news eg BBC, Sky etc. While they may not tell outright lies are biased and do similar propaganda by promoting a one sided view of conflicts. This is done by not reporting anything that contradicts its bias."

What "side" has the BBC or Sky not presented adequately on Ukraine or Syria or Iraq?

Bristol

"I know RT is a propaganda machine of the Kremlin. I use to watch it as I would watch all news channels from around the world to get a more informed view.

I find our news eg BBC, Sky etc. While they may not tell outright lies are biased and do similar propaganda by promoting a one sided view of conflicts. This is done by not reporting anything that contradicts its bias."

No it’s that they cannot cover every storey non of them can

But if you want to see a conspiracy then that’s what you will see

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

all around

"

Where did the information about "American troops machine gunning civilians because they're bored" come from?

"

RT ?

I find our news eg BBC, Sky etc. While they may not tell outright lies are biased and do similar propaganda by promoting a one sided view of conflicts. This is done by not reporting anything that contradicts its bias.

What "side" has the BBC or Sky not presented adequately on Ukraine or Syria or Iraq?"

Watch some investigative documentaries on the wars and you will see things our governments don't want us to see and the limited coverage by the British news media. Eg casual killing of civillians in Afghanistan and Iraq by allied forces, the American government links to ISSIS in Syria and the influence of the Azov brigade in Ukraine and their hand in the Maidan revolution etc

If you believe they are the bastions of the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the unbiased truth. Your welcome to that opinion.

But if you want to see a conspiracy then that’s what you will see "

I didn't use the word conspiracy, you did. There's a difference between a conspiracy and an agenda.

So they cant cover every story on a 24hr news channel, but can repeat one 24 times a day, ok.

West London

What "side" has the BBC or Sky not presented adequately on Ukraine or Syria or Iraq?

Watch some investigative documentaries on the wars and you will see things our governments don't want us to see and the limited coverage by the British news media. Eg casual killing of civillians in Afghanistan and Iraq by allied forces, the American government links to ISSIS in Syria and the influence of the Azov brigade in Ukraine and their hand in the Maidan revolution etc

If you believe they are the bastions of the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the unbiased truth. Your welcome to that opinion."

Are there no articles and documentaries from the BBC and Sky and other conventional media sources which cover these aspects?

Really?

Who conducted the "investigative documentaries" that you refer to? Are they more or less credible than any other source?

West London

I didn't use the word conspiracy, you did. There's a difference between a conspiracy and an agenda.

So they cant cover every story on a 24hr news channel, but can repeat one 24 times a day, ok."

Your last comment is, in fact, true.

It is relatively easy to repeat the same information for 24hrs than to create 24hrs of original content.

Bristol

So they cant cover every story on a 24hr news channel, but can repeat one 24 times a day, ok."

That’s ok you just keep telling yourself that

So they cant cover every story on a 24hr news channel, but can repeat one 24 times a day, ok.

That’s ok you just keep telling yourself that "

Hardly a answer to the question?

“If you don’t watch the news you are uninformed, if you do, you are misinformed”

The best journalists and journalist sources don’t attach themselves to news channels as most of their reports will be tweaked to be sensitive, sugar coated or twisted to hide or expose whatever fits the corporate and political trends and needs of the times.

Bristol

"“If you don’t watch the news you are uninformed, if you do, you are misinformed”

The best journalists and journalist sources don’t attach themselves to news channels as most of their reports will be tweaked to be sensitive, sugar coated or twisted to hide or expose whatever fits the corporate and political trends and needs of the times."

So are you saying that the pictures from Ukraine of numbed out dwellings of innocent civilians are twisted to fit a narrative?

By *uddy laneMan  over a year ago

dudley

[Removed by poster at 17/03/22 17:19:06]

West London

"“If you don’t watch the news you are uninformed, if you do, you are misinformed”

The best journalists and journalist sources don’t attach themselves to news channels as most of their reports will be tweaked to be sensitive, sugar coated or twisted to hide or expose whatever fits the corporate and political trends and needs of the times."

Really? How do the "best journalists" get paid then?

How do you know that they are the "best"? How is their journalism assessed or verified?

Bristol

Russian owned super yacht stuck in Norway because no one will sell it fuel

By *leasure domMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Of course RT is biased, but anyone who thinks that the BBC is unbiased is living in cloud-cuckoo land.

Approx 30% of citizens favour a republic, but the slavish, sycophantic over-coverage of monarchy is nauseating and you will never see any programmes questioning the status quo. Nor will you find any questioning the nature of our democracy, its many flaws or international comparisons.

Alan Little said that he was shocked by the default BBC position in relation to reporting on the question of Scottish independence-he was expected to rubbish it. Many of BBC Scotland's reporters were rewarded for their biased reporting running up to Indyref #1 with overseas promotions to USA and South Korea. Sarah Smith's biased reporting was recently officially censured and, surprise surprise, she too has also received promotion to USA.

Sky is similarly hostile to Scottish independence. RT may favour it, just as they were pro-brexit. Al Jazeera also has a line, but seems neutral on British news.

Bristol

People always claim that a news service is biased when it does not support the views they want to see.

It’s not the same as RT which is totally state run and is the Russian propaganda service.

They are not allowed to report anything that criticises the regime.

In the uk the BBC does and has criticised the government on many occasions.

Just because they never supported the Indy ref they try to remain impartial but some just cannot see or want to see that.

Bristol

On the subject of a republic I don’t know anyone who favours that and the majority are quite happy still having a queen and not a president

By *mmmMaybeCouple  over a year ago

West Wales

The best journalists and journalist sources don’t attach themselves to news channels as most of their reports will be tweaked to be sensitive, sugar coated or twisted to hide or expose whatever fits the corporate and political trends and needs of the times.

So are you saying that the pictures from Ukraine of numbed out dwellings of innocent civilians are twisted to fit a narrative?"

I wouldn’t say that, however what I would say is that seeing as they use the same armour, the same uniforms etc & speak the same language it’s very easy for either side to release images & film claiming they are of the other sides atrocities etc.

It’s just state propaganda & whether it’s Russian propaganda or Ukrainian propaganda it is very hard to tell fact from fiction.

S

Bristol

So are you saying that the pictures from Ukraine of numbed out dwellings of innocent civilians are twisted to fit a narrative?

I wouldn’t say that, however what I would say is that seeing as they use the same armour, the same uniforms etc & speak the same language it’s very easy for either side to release images & film claiming they are of the other sides atrocities etc.

It’s just state propaganda & whether it’s Russian propaganda or Ukrainian propaganda it is very hard to tell fact from fiction.

S"

That’s why I prefer to see what’s coming out of itv, Chanel 4 as well as the bbc.

Between those I feel you get quite a balanced view and as they do say weather they can confirm a news item or not I trust them more than from RT twatter or facecloth

There no more impartial news feeds from Russia so I don’t even bother

Edinburgh

"People always claim that a news service is biased when it does not support the views they want to see.

It’s not the same as RT which is totally state run and is the Russian propaganda service.

They are not allowed to report anything that criticises the regime.

In the uk the BBC does and has criticised the government on many occasions.

Just because they never supported the Indy ref they try to remain impartial but some just cannot see or want to see that.

"

Coverage of independence or SNP by BBC Scotland is hostile, but this is not seen transmitted outside Scotland, so most people in UK will not be aware.

Edinburgh

"On the subject of a republic I don’t know anyone who favours that and the majority are quite happy still having a queen and not a president "

If the topic is never even examined, together with some accurate costs and some sort of attempts to argue why it is unacceptable for a citizen to aspire to be Head of state, this only helps to stifle discussion and any potential for change and for achieving a proper democracy

West London

"Of course RT is biased, but anyone who thinks that the BBC is unbiased is living in cloud-cuckoo land.

Approx 30% of citizens favour a republic, but the slavish, sycophantic over-coverage of monarchy is nauseating and you will never see any programmes questioning the status quo. Nor will you find any questioning the nature of our democracy, its many flaws or international comparisons.

Alan Little said that he was shocked by the default BBC position in relation to reporting on the question of Scottish independence-he was expected to rubbish it. Many of BBC Scotland's reporters were rewarded for their biased reporting running up to Indyref #1 with overseas promotions to USA and South Korea. Sarah Smith's biased reporting was recently officially censured and, surprise surprise, she too has also received promotion to USA.

Sky is similarly hostile to Scottish independence. RT may favour it, just as they were pro-brexit. Al Jazeera also has a line, but seems neutral on British news."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-34191354

The BBC made Yes Minister

https://www.thenational.scot/news/17507633.bbc-journalists-prove-yes-vote-foolish-indyref/

'Little added: “I know how hard my colleagues in London work at trying to get it right.

“I’m not cynical about that but I was quite surprised by some of my colleagues failing to understand their own assumption that the Yes side was wrong.”'

Seems like an organisation aware of boas and trying to do something about it. These discussions are hardly hidden. Where else does that happen?

He was also the man responsible for the coverage. What does that tell you?

Other journalists were "rewarded for bias"? Really? Your opinion based on your bias?

The BBC is accused of bias by everyone, of course...

RT wants anything that makes their rivals weaker. Make of that what you will on their position on Scottish independence.

How do you know that they are the "best"? How is their journalism assessed or verified?"

They release in other publications. And they are the best because they don’t allow their work to be morphed in others interests.

So are you saying that the pictures from Ukraine of numbed out dwellings of innocent civilians are twisted to fit a narrative?"

What I’m saying is what I said, Cathy Newman.

West London

How do you know that they are the "best"? How is their journalism assessed or verified?

They release in other publications. And they are the best because they don’t allow their work to be morphed in others interests."

Which "other publications"?

Does the "best" need to be verifiable and accurate? Who checks?

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

The fact that for the first 10 days they called RT called it a “special military operation” and you are not allowed to call it war under pressure and threat of being thrown in jail show how impartial RT is… in fact just once please look at a UN Security Council meetings on YouTube ( it’s fascinating to see diplomatic language, and the excuses the Russians continue to use to say they have not bombed a civilian building once… every time it’s Ukrainian nazi saboteurs!) yesterday the hospital wasn’t a hospital, it was an ambush post! And the pictures of the pregnant people and women coming out in stretchers were fake news… and the theatre was in fact an improvised ammunition dump!

There is a meeting this afternoon called by the Russians where they are going to claim again that Ukraine was involved in us bio weapons development… even though the un independently themselves via there own observers have said not true!

Anyway… RT uk license has been revoked by OFCOM, they aren’t coming back regardless!

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

Hopefully GBNews will be next (Russian funded again according to statement in Commons protected by Parliamentary privilege)

near ipswich

"Hopefully GBNews will be next (Russian funded again according to statement in Commons protected by Parliamentary privilege) "
have you ever watched it?

Brighton

"Hopefully GBNews will be next (Russian funded again according to statement in Commons protected by Parliamentary privilege) have you ever watched it?"

Popped in a couple of times when suffering from constipation to see how much sh1t they were spewing out. Worked a treat!

near ipswich

"Hopefully GBNews will be next (Russian funded again according to statement in Commons protected by Parliamentary privilege) have you ever watched it?

Popped in a couple of times when suffering from constipation to see how much sh1t they were spewing out. Worked a treat! "

you would love it at this very moment they are slagging off boris and liz

Brighton

"Hopefully GBNews will be next (Russian funded again according to statement in Commons protected by Parliamentary privilege) have you ever watched it?

Popped in a couple of times when suffering from constipation to see how much sh1t they were spewing out. Worked a treat! you would love it at this very moment they are slagging off boris and liz "

You actually have it on? You must have doubled their viewing stats

near ipswich

Popped in a couple of times when suffering from constipation to see how much sh1t they were spewing out. Worked a treat! you would love it at this very moment they are slagging off boris and liz

You actually have it on? You must have doubled their viewing stats "

i switch between several channels to get a overall view of things rather than just being brainwashed by one.

Brighton

Popped in a couple of times when suffering from constipation to see how much sh1t they were spewing out. Worked a treat! you would love it at this very moment they are slagging off boris and liz

You actually have it on? You must have doubled their viewing stats i switch between several channels to get a overall view of things rather than just being brainwashed by one."

Hey me too!!! Same with websites and newspapers. However, quality matters to me and amateur crap like GBNews (what a misnomer) doesn’t fill me with much confidence.

near ipswich

You actually have it on? You must have doubled their viewing stats i switch between several channels to get a overall view of things rather than just being brainwashed by one.

Hey me too!!! Same with websites and newspapers. However, quality matters to me and amateur crap like GBNews (what a misnomer) doesn’t fill me with much confidence."

Im not saying its a good news channel but "popping in a couple of times when suffering from constipation" doesnt really give you an overall view to shut it down, personally i believe in the freedom of the media.

Newcastle and Gateshead

The interesting thing about the timing of the decision is that this basically cripples the English operation of RT… it was banned in the US on Tuesday, and in Canada yesterday! Australia have been miles ahead in banning RT…. And anywhere they may have had international network a la cnn basically went with the EU ban!

near ipswich

"The interesting thing about the timing of the decision is that this basically cripples the English operation of RT… it was banned in the US on Tuesday, and in Canada yesterday! Australia have been miles ahead in banning RT…. And anywhere they may have had international network a la cnn basically went with the EU ban! "
It was taken off the air several days ago in the uk.

Brighton

You actually have it on? You must have doubled their viewing stats i switch between several channels to get a overall view of things rather than just being brainwashed by one.

Hey me too!!! Same with websites and newspapers. However, quality matters to me and amateur crap like GBNews (what a misnomer) doesn’t fill me with much confidence.Im not saying its a good news channel but "popping in a couple of times when suffering from constipation" doesnt really give you an overall view to shut it down, personally i believe in the freedom of the media."

Then presumably you think RT should still be on air in UK/EU?

As for more than popping in, well there’s only 24hrs in a day and I have more important things to do, like scratching my arse.

Brighton

"The interesting thing about the timing of the decision is that this basically cripples the English operation of RT… it was banned in the US on Tuesday, and in Canada yesterday! Australia have been miles ahead in banning RT…. And anywhere they may have had international network a la cnn basically went with the EU ban! It was taken off the air several days ago in the uk."

I believe that is Because it used a satellite registered to/in Luxembourg (ie the EU) so by default could also not be seen in UK.

near ipswich

Hey me too!!! Same with websites and newspapers. However, quality matters to me and amateur crap like GBNews (what a misnomer) doesn’t fill me with much confidence.Im not saying its a good news channel but "popping in a couple of times when suffering from constipation" doesnt really give you an overall view to shut it down, personally i believe in the freedom of the media.

As for more than popping in, well there’s only 24hrs in a day and I have more important things to do, like scratching my arse."

I had no problem with RT it was good to see what stuff the russian people were being fed and used to tune in now and then.

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

But where would you rather live?

Newcastle and Gateshead

Hey me too!!! Same with websites and newspapers. However, quality matters to me and amateur crap like GBNews (what a misnomer) doesn’t fill me with much confidence.Im not saying its a good news channel but "popping in a couple of times when suffering from constipation" doesnt really give you an overall view to shut it down, personally i believe in the freedom of the media.

As for more than popping in, well there’s only 24hrs in a day and I have more important things to do, like scratching my arse.I had no problem with RT it was good to see what stuff the russian people were being fed and used to tune in now and then."

You can actually still see it.. but it’s one of those things where you need to know where to look .. and you really need to dig!! I popped on to see how there live news host would react.. but they are showing a documentary claiming how bad the Ukrainians were in the Donbas

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

S"

Is it equally hard to discriminate between the levels of fiction of Russian TV and, for example, the BBC? Who do you think is explaining and presenting the war closer to the truth?

Every one of us is biased - that's part of the human condition. Each organisation will have biases and background influences that distorts from facts.

There seems a hard parallel to draw between current Russian media and much in the UK though

If you believe they are the bastions of the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the unbiased truth. Your welcome to that opinion.

Are there no articles and documentaries from the BBC and Sky and other conventional media sources which cover these aspects?

Really?

Who conducted the "investigative documentaries" that you refer to? Are they more or less credible than any other source?"

Yes there are. But I think a large amount of the public form their opinions from the first 10 minute headlines of the main news and do not have the interest or time to delve further.

So this is where the narrative is decided.

[Removed by poster at 21/03/22 07:26:06]

[Removed by poster at 21/03/22 07:28:54]

[Removed by poster at 21/03/22 07:35:50]

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

russian state funded Gammon Bigots News ... have you watchedit though?.... does it matter if anyone has .... 'one doesn't need to put a turd in ones mouth to know it tastes of shit'

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

Popped in a couple of times when suffering from constipation to see how much sh1t they were spewing out. Worked a treat! you would love it at this very moment they are slagging off boris and liz "

I not seen it for a little while but the times I have they have always been complaining about either Boris or the government or both. The debates are usually quite good as everyone gets their say without interruption

By *ob198XaMan  over a year ago

teleford

The difference is western media is free to repeat official press briefings or freely ignore them and tell an entirely different story. In Russia journalists repeat the government line or they go to the gulag. Having watched a wide variety of international news sources my conclusion is Western media can often be guilty of ignoring inconvenient truths...but Russian media just make up entirely false narratives.

» Add a new message to this topic